Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I really wish they'd kept past-Amida's design for the present-day one, instead of the trash she wears. :v:

So dashing. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
He's actually protecting the rest of the Turbines by running away, since anyone not on the Hammerhead can just declare ignorance of the situation and probably find a different job with Teiwaz.

Also Naze is cool.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

Given that we've been shown ample evidence that Jasley and the other Teiwaz bosses think of women as pieces of rear end and this entire episode was about how all the women in Teiwaz grouped together because they were being treated as fifth-class citizens used as disposable chattel because it was the only work they could find, the loss of the Turbines organization is basically a disaster for everyone in it.

Yes, but it's also better than being dead.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There's a reason why Naze is that highly ranked in Teiwaz, and it's not because he runs one smuggler ship, so it makes perfect sense. :v:

They're most likely loose affiliates that pay him and thus Teiwaz a cut of their profits instead of ships that take their orders from him directly, though, based on what the episode showed.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'd argue Mika is too level-headed, most of the time. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Couldn't resist.

Nah, Julietta isn't a big enough dick.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I really hope the Turbines got footage of Iok openly disregarding the parley signal and opening fire on escape pods and use it to get him hanged by Gjallarhorn.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Atra. :3:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
We've known McGillis was an adopted street orphan since season 1. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm incredibly glad they kept Gaelio around in the end, despite grumbling about it when Vidar was first introduced. :allears:

Also glad that the Vidar's cockpit stuff was exactly what we all thought it would be.

e;

Such hard eyes. :allears:

I really hope they don't do the incredibly predictable and dumb thing of having McGillis/Tekkadan turn on each other at the end.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 12, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Argas posted:

It's what's been normal in the IBO-verse.

I'm pretty sure neither Darth_Walrus nor MonsterEnvy are arguing that it's morally neutral in-universe, unless they both magically forgot that they're trying to argue about who the audience should be rooting for.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Mika's entire gimmick has always been "hey, Orga, who should I kill next?" He's never not been the villain's big scary attack dog, it's just that up until this point, Orga's naivety hadn't quite gotten them into a situation where Tekkadan were more likely to end up in the wrong than the right.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm fairly sure the only happy ending we're getting now is Kudelia picking up the pieces after everyone else has blown each other to bits. :unsmith:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's also possible for a show to devote more than two minutes post-credits to deal with the aftermath of the climactic battle.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
They're both completely hosed in the head but the reason McGillis respects Mika and Orga is because he believes power is absolutely everything, and Mika is a powerful pilot in a powerful mech who is absolutely loyal to Orga.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Somehow, I only just made the Vidar/Vitharr vs. Lupus/Fenrir connection. :doh:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Dainsleifs are basically filling the same role as UC beam weapons, except less MS-portable. They're the scary, long-range, extremely accurate, one-shot-kill superweapon, and they're treated the way they are as a result. It's good.

Argas posted:

So, why did that one dainsleif shot by Rustal's agent have a ton of secondary detonations like a stereotypical beam weapon, but Shino's shot just barely misses Rustal's ship and has absolutely no effect? :confused:

Rule of cool, I'm pretty sure.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 27, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Argas posted:

Most likely, it's just irksome to see this sort of inconsistency in the same drat episode as a major plot point as opposed to a random background detail.

I mean, if it bugs you, the in-universe explanation is that there was nothing behind Rustal's ship for the shot to hit. The first dainsleif shot obviously hit several MSes in succession.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Mika is the sort of fighter where you have to constantly be at 100% to stand a chance and a single gently caress up will cost you your life. Like Julietta for most of the episode was barely an annoyance to him, but he hasn't even gone murder eyes yet, let alone pushing the AV and the suit to the limits.

Despite the stakes, I feel like Mika hasn't gotten serious yet in the fight.

He's fighting conservatively because there's an actual battle going on that he needs to pay attention to. Meanwhile, Julietta is just hurling herself at him over and over again to no real effect.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm glad they actually acknowledged that Yamagi's gay, even if it's the episode after the guy he's gay for got killed off.

e; the moment where Orga realises how toxic his relationship with Tekkadan is:

The moment where you think Mika's also realised how toxic his relationship with Orga is:

The moment where lol j/k actually they're still both completely hosed in the head

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 5, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

This lines up almost exactly with S1 Gaelio knowing Gjallarhorn needs reforming but not actually having any idea why or how.

Remember also that "Gjallarhorn is corrupt and needs reforming" is one of McGillis' ideals, and it's still not clear whether Gaelio espoused it because he believed it or because he was loyally following McGillis.

He's explicitly rejecting McGillis' beliefs now and claiming that people who follow McGillis are being used, so who knows if he even believes it any more.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I really like how big a difference there is between Gaelio and McGillis' initial "cool young prodigy and mancrushing immature best friend" vibe at the start of season 1, and how they're presented now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I cant believe [spoiler]Mikazuki is going to die in the second to last episode and Atra is going to die giving birth. Thats one hell of a downer ending but at least things are looking a little bit better for the next generation of iron blooded orphans [/spoilers]

No, Mika is going to accept an offer to work for Rustal, who is then going to trick Mika into fatally wounding Atra, but only after Mika kills all of the youngest Tekkadan members. Atra will then die in childbirth while sending one of her twins to live with Cookie and Cracker's grandmother and the other to be adopted by Makanai. 20 years later, the two children will meet again while the daughter is on a diplomatic mission to bring the plans for Gjallarhorn's new superweapon to the Teiwaz base on Jupiter (her ship is attacked over Mars, and that's how the son, who is living as a humble Martian farmer who just really wants to go to Chryse station, ends up helping to overthrow Gjallarhorn).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 14, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

everydayfalls posted:

Was expecting a mobile worker the whole time they where walking to the car

I was expecting a a car bomb, with the backblast killing everyone in that corridor, but this was close enough.

Also, there's zero reason to think McGillis did this.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

The only other faction who would be interested in doing this would be Gjallarhorn

The idea that he somehow did it because he said a couple of enigmatic things and might have potentially maybe had the time to make a phone call while rushing out to fight, completely ignoring the fact that the shooting was done by goons who looked suspiciously like Nobliss Gordon's men and that Nobliss Gordon has set himself against Tekkadan is pretty loving stupid.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm still :allears:ing at all the people who thought McGillis was going to betray Tekkadan. I'm glad the show stuck to its guns and avoided the dumb, cliché twist.

Also, some more fantastic psychotic faces this episode.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

KoB posted:

Instead the twist was that McGillis was actually kind of straightforward and dumb.

I HAVE THE COOL GUNDAM LISTEN TO ME

uh, no? thats just a dumb tradition from hundreds of years ago.

He's a gigantic childish idiot playing at being an adult and it's the best. :allears:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zebulon posted:

There's some rather unfortunate reasons for while he might be a big manchild idiot, admittedly. It could be argued McGillis is a victim of the hosed up world of IBO as much as Tekkadan is. Not that it really excuses the monstrous things he's done, but it's a rather important factor in why he comes across as so stunted in how he plans and seems to perceive the world.

He's an idealist completely drunk on tales of mythical heroes single-handedly reshaping the world because that was his only refuge as a child, and who thought he was good enough to single-handedly beat the Arianrhod fleet just because he had A-V and a Gundam.

He's 100% a victim, which is why it's good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Finally watched the finale and the only thing I didn't like was Rustal suddenly deciding to democratise Gjallarhorn with no apparent reason or effort shown. The show would have been a lot stronger if Kudelia hadn't been sidelined and we'd actually seen the work put in during the timeskip to make the world better.

Other than that, good ending, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

I don't have any real problems with the actual outcome of the ending as the events all make logical sense if you think about them, it's just that all of the important events happen offscreen due to time constraints which is the lovely part. Rustal looking at the shambles of the Seven Stars and what brought on this entire stupid war to begin with leading to him advocating major reforms as a way to ensure stability makes perfect sense, so loving show us that happening.

Yeah, this.

With any luck we get some kind of side material covering the gap between Mika's death and the closing narration, because it's at least 5 years, if not 10, and the show definitely needs the world-altering events to not be compressed down to a 10 second voiceover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

genericnick posted:

I'm not sure why anyone would use IBO as a reason to never hire her again. Overall I'd say it was one of the best Gundam shows. I couldn't think of a single one I'd comfortably rate higher.

There's a few that are definitely better, but IBO is good.

• Locked thread