Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'd only like if masked man was galio if absolutely no indication is given through the series only to have mika blurt it out in a fight with everyone present. Sure it would be bad writing, but drat if it wouldn't be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like that Kudelia is officially part of the Atra/Mikazuki family. :unsmith:

Lemon-Lime posted:

I really don't think that's the case, personally. There's no evidence for it.

Given last seasons theme of knowing who the person is and you can tell how they'll react, it was pretty heavy handed that the person at least knows who McGillis really is. And the only two people that can claim that are Gali-Gali and the Chocolate Man himself.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 9, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

McGillis might know people other than the people who were introduced in season 1, because the list of characters he was seen onscreen with in s01 isn't an exhaustive list of all the people McGillis ever interacted with throughout his entire fictional life.

I'm honestly going to think that some random dude that knew McGillis well enough and was wronged at one point by him propping up now as a masked pilot acting against him is probably worse writing than having Gali survive.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The Sandman posted:

So, a thought occurred to me about Masky McGlowface, and how he could be Gali-Gali without McGillis retroactively looking stupid for not confirming the kill: Gali-Gali got Eined and now he's a brain in a robot body. McGillis just underestimated how long sheer hate would let Gaelio cling to life after taking a giant sword to the torso.

There is a fair bit of irony in it given how much Galigali hated that sort of thing. But then, that sort of unpredictable behavior would be something McGillis would never account for. But McGillis mask2 would be funnier. Keep your "friends" close...and your enemies even closer.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Are those...gun-tonfas?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Is the masked man in the credits at least? I really cant make out the last few entries in the cast other than one saying "pilot" but I'm assuming those are just additional voices

vvv
Yeah it did to me too, just with a lot less zest for life and whole lot more anger.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 16, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man the rising tension music that plays during that scene leading to it is loving brutal.You know its going to happen but its still tense as all gently caress

e- Also near the end when the accountant pops up saying We want you to check out what we found while digging I knew exactly where it was leading

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 23, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

One of the things we take for granted in anime is how the eyes reflect light, I didnt notice till now but Mikas right doesnt have that shine anymore. Its a tiny detail but it sure is consistent.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Orga is basically locked in a game of chicken with McGuillis with the cliff being the inevitable betrayal. Orga is fully aware of whats happening but still thinks its the fastest way for earning Tekkadan a solid place in the world. He's not wrong, but its horribly risky.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Artum posted:

So is nobody going to bring up that Orga sealed that deal without consulting Mika, and Mika apparently noticed?

I dont think Orga consults with Mika when making a decision. Thats just the typical Mika stare after Orga makes a decision.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tae posted:

An interesting theory I read is that Mika shot 4 times because he was using his non-dominant hand and only had 1 eye to aim, not because of his usual "Make sure they're dead" reasoning.

Thats actually interesting because when I first saw it I thought he shot his usual three rounds. On rewatch, yeah he shot 4 times.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Speculation time, the mobile armor is going to be hijacked by that Teiwaz dude thats angry at Tekkadan once its sent in for repair. Also once McGillis consolidates power in the seven star alliance he's going to move against the rest of the power houses like Teiwaz, Nobliss, etc. Tekkadan should have an easy time picking who they'll side with when the time comes but all of those factions are shitbags in the first place so god knows how that'll play out.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Orga isn't going to go against his big bro without substantial reason so it won't be too easy deciding.

No, thats what I mean. He wont go against his bro. So it should be easy deciding. So the question would be if McGillis wants to have Tekkadan as enemies or will he bring Teiwaz in as part of his plan.

Either way, there is no way for Tekkadan to come out of the situation unscathed because they have a piece of everyone's pie right now. They might even have a Mars/Earth split because of the alliances going on with them.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 25, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Actually given the distance between mars and earth and the fact that McGillis is stationed in earth might mean that Tekkadan could end up owing him a favor faster than we could have imagined.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Setting up an assassination attempt of one of the economic leaders in the planet to destabilize the tenuous peace there puts Rustal in either the same or maybe an even worse boat than McGillis in the greater scope of things. Rustal just seems like a guy that's acting entirely on his best interests to retain his position of top dog in the 7 star

e- I mean just look at their motivations right now as presented

McGillis- Gjallarhorn is corrupt we need to fix it at any cost (I don't entirely believe this is his sole motivation)

Rustal- We need to remind people why they need Gjallarhorn at any cost.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 2, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thats going to be a bit hard for him given that one of his arms and eyes don't work unless he is in a mobile suit. I also have a feeling his body will get worse as the series goes on.

Im guessing that him being fully functional when hooked up to the frame is a big caveat here. I'm totally expecting him to get even more hosed up as the season progresses, but that AV system being nanomachine based and how he springs back up when on the system makes me think they'll be able to reverse it or at least mitigate it with some sort of portable attachment in his back.. Might not be something actually seen through the season, but something that might pop up in an epilogue or something.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The nice guys die first in the battlefield!

Oh you seem to be a pretty nice guy yourself (crushes cockpit with jaws of DEATH)

I like that Eugene is taking his ship captain role when not inside the ship. Pompadour guy was so loving confused when he got the order to put her through comms.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dangerous Person posted:

You know what they say, it's not Sunday unless a child soldier kills somebody execution style

I think Okada is taking a dump on the people that complained about last seasons execution scene. "Oh you didn't like it? Guess what? Bang bang bang"

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thats was a really good non combat episode. Like so many things are coming together, it didn't feel rushed and so much ground is covered for what could happen in the future.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont think McGillis is acting out of a lust for power. McGillis is turning out to be a romantic more than anything, he seems to be compelled to bring back Gjallarhorn back to its founding principle and Bael probably being the suit used by the person he idolizes points to that.

Ultimately for all his scheming, McGillis is still thinking like a child. Which is ironic given what Rustal said. Rustal and his mates has so far been painted by the show a whole lot worse than McGillis has had this season so far. Certainly they are the "bad guys" of this arc according to the show. Not necessarily for the rest of the show mind you, but right now its clear that this is what the show wants us to see.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tae posted:

Teiwaz and nobliss are still huge factions untouched and there's still way over half a season to go.

There's going to be conflict with both but I'm expecting Teiwaz to be more of an internal thing. Having to put the turbines directly against Tekkadan might be threading old ground but theres definitely going to be the added interpersonal issues. But they've been setting up the old man as sort of this mellowed out dude that seems to favoring tekkadan a lot, so its not beyond the realm of possibilities that he'll be ok with it because he sees the possibility of expanding his own reach. Either way, there's bound to be conflict because some of the guys at teiwaz aren't going to like it. Maybe it costs the old man his life and we'll get to see Naze taking on the Don position, after the civil war is dealth with, which will lead to an even stronger Tekkadan.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

EP35 is throwing a massive wrench at the direction the show was heading and I cant say anyone could have expected it but it still fits with what we know.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Someone try to fit the subtext/plaintext of the show about faustian deals with the devil, piloting machines with demon names and then suddenly finding out that the calamity war was against AI piloted MAs with angelic names.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ethiser posted:

This is a really cool direction to take the show.

It is going to be real good when one of the Tekkadan kills the mobile armor and it becomes the Eight Stars.

It really is. Theres a few cool details, like Mikazuki's eye springing back up to life when the MA activated. Now we know why the system existed in the first place, to give people a fighting chance against the MA and their pluma bits which can react a whole lot faster than a normal human could. It could also paint the original pilots in a whole more heroic and tragic light. If the nanomachines of the AV continue to react so long as an MA is alive, then the pilots were heading out knowing that the destruction of the MA would lead to their own end. It fits in perfectly with what Mika was going on about, once the war ends. poo poo, it could also radically alter what the seven star "families" initially were.

Also the turn leading to it was caused by Galio giving bad information. Either he completely misread chocolate man, or he purposely mislead Iok knowing his actions would lead to Iok accidentally activating the MA. Its making me think Galio is just using Rustal for his own plans

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 4, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Assuming the Seven Stars are still around by the time that McGillis is done unleashing robot hell upon the solar system. Seriously, he expressed satisfaction that it's Tekkadan's fate to 'make the winds of (the Calamity War) blow again', and then was totally baffled when Iok assumed he wanted to destroy that MA. We definitely got us a 'burn it all down' villain here.

Galio and Iok did a good job of potentially starting robot hellheaven by themselves.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tae posted:

I don't think anyone expected this to be where a Gundam show goes, especially when IBO debut. Wow.

And it all loving works. Like everything seems to tie in, even the shows aestethics work with the twist. When in the first season it was all about the knights fighting to protect the princess, in the past it was about the knights fighting loving laser spewing robot dragons

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Every one of Gaelio's scenes so far in this season has been about how he's too nice and too wedded to his former role as a knightly enforcer of Gjallarhorn's peace and stability to fully become the same kind of revenge-driven murder-machine as McGillis. Hell, the Kimaris Vidar's big intro was all about him getting so wrapped up in playing the hero that he forgot his grudge for a little while. That does, however, give him significant blind spots - he simply can't imagine someone finding a Mobile Armour and not wanting to kill it, for instance, so he based his reasoning about McGillis's plan around that. All the stuff about the Order of the Seven Stars was actually a reasonable guess - it matches up very well with Macky's Season One plan of attaining dominance by gaming Gjallarhorn's aristocratic system. Gaelio just didn't grasp that playing the game wasn't the same thing as buying into its premises.

I think you are missreading what the show is trying to portray and creating your own narrative with these scenes. To me the Vidar scene wasnt about portraying Galio as knightly or about putting aside his grudge being lost playing the hero. It was about showing a guy thats becoming more and more robotic cleanly putting down a group of serfs that didnt stand a chance. Its about the dissonance of his motivation and how calmly he did his job. Its the contrast of who he was in season 1 and who he is in season 2. Julietas comment is ironic, because McGillis has the same cool headed and elegance when fighting, and in his own words hes had a grudge with the entire system since he was a kid.

It could very well be a flaw in him, thinking McGillis would act more like himself than well McGillis. But its incredibly stupid for Rustal to approve this sort of action given the stakes. If they really thought that McGillis was somehow going to kill it and were willing to risk it accdentally activating then it shows how deep they are into the self perservation of their rank and status.

Mind you so far the show is doing its damnedest to portray that as a bad thing. The teiwaz second in command had a hand on this just because he thinks Naze and Orga are gunning for more power within the organization, which would put his own position in risk.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 4, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Iok is basically Carta 2.0 but somehow even more incompetent and no one actively respecting him.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Iok is a loving retard and the only redemption arc that could salvage his character is getting his cockpit turned into a lump of crushed metal. He's def carta 2.0 only his actions are way more harmful to everyone else.

Just look at Kudelias action in contrast to Iok. You might say "oh but these low ranking people are giving their lives willingly for their superiors, there must be SOME good in him." Bullshit. Not only did he wake up the thing in the first place, his comically insane action lead to the team having to abandon their best chance at stopping Hashmal before it killed innocent people. Iok was better off dyiing in the first encounter.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 11, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Theres two of them, one on each side of the ship right? If it was just one then yeah id say its something weird

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The combination of the ahab plus nano armor is insanely strong given how prevalent it is in the series. Its almost entirely passive absolute resistance to beams that remain operating as long as the neverending power of an ahab reactor doesnt fail. Its so definitive that it rendered beam weapons useless in the setting. The most common form of weaponry in Gundam, rendered useless by even the most grunt of grunt units

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

He didn't know a drat thing about them, meaning for one he didn't really know much about the Calamity War, the most significant conflict ever know, or how or why it was fought, and which lead to the Seven Stars of which he is a loving part. That is only dumb, but what's awful is that he pretended to know when Julieta chided him on his ignorance.

I have to think they are setting up for Julieta to put Iok down, possibly on her own initiative before he can do even more damage. Maybe she even has a shot at the Order of the Seven Stars?

Iok was also showing the same characteristic hubris that other GH members were showing just taken up to a higher level. Oh its tech from 300 years ago there is no way we cant deal with it. Not only that he has a complete misunderstanding on how his own suit works.

Hes a raging idiot. An Idiok if you will.

E- youd think whatever book McG is constantly reading would be mandatory reading in whatever officer university they have in IBO.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 12, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

paragon1 posted:

This reminds me:
You know who McGillis said reminded him of Agnika Kaieru? Mika
You know who is standing in front of the MA right now? Mika
Mika is going to destroy Hashmal and McGillis is going to fanboy the gently caress out and try to make Mika King of Space, calling it now.

Just look at him in the car ride. He's just looking at Mika while smiling. Mikas harem is powerful, but he only has eyes for a certain bird right now.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, so that pretty much means that the families were unconventional groups like tekkadan and the turbines that slowly warped into an aristocracy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, it would make sense if the original Families were "families" like Tekkadan. They only became hereditary things afterwards in order to keep power centralized

Yeah, I already mentioned it with the big MA reveal. Its more probable that the families were like Tekkadan and Turbines, with the pilots fighting for the family and gaining them prestige for all of them. Eventually it degenerated into an hereditary aristocracy. And we see just how loving stupid it is when the top of one of the families is a raging idiot that is the single reason for everything wrong in the last few episodes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The gundams weren't really the first mobile suits. Its entirely possible candidate pilots got polished by fighting plumas and supporting other gundam units in the fields before being promoted to gundam user. It might also mean that the AV system wasn't an exclusive thing that only the best got, it might have been a quick mass produced feature and those that survived long enough got placed into the strongest units available at the time.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 19, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Midjack posted:

I'd expect one. Japan doesn't care about Christmas nearly as much as the West.

There is one yes. Previews are already out. Doubt there is going to be one next week though because of new years though

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Holy poo poo that fight. I so want a calamity war spin off right now. I also want a gundam monster hunter game based on it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Creamfilled posted:

I eagerly await to see what else Iok fucks up because he doesn't want to disappoint his dead men in heaven. I can't wait for the main antagonist to not be McGillis but a righteous Iok doing all the wrong things for a dumb reason.

He seriously, seriously needed to die. Julietta has also been shown to be wrong time and time again, but in more subtle ways. And the most destructive thing she's done was let Iok live.

Iok- You should have let me die!
Julietta- You have incurable stupidity, death will not solve your problem. But I doubt you can make things worse
Iok- Watch me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man I know its a copout but I hope they find a way to miniaturize a AV system and just hook it to mikas back so he can be functional again by the end of the series. Okada plz

• Locked thread