Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AnoHito posted:

"What are these beam weapons and 00 you guys are talking about?", I say as a person who has only seen the show Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans.

Weapons that shoot lasers are hardly a Gundam-only thing!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm thinking of picking up IBO, haven't watched Gundam in ages. What's good about this one?

It has a strong start, but then it meanders for awhile and the villains suck. I'm waiting on season 2 to finish before watching more and I feel like if you haven't seen anything Gundam in awhile your best bet would be to check out other things you missed (personally I say G-Reco, which I feel is a stronger show than IBO by every metric) while waiting to see if IBO season 2 screws the pooch or not.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

This is very close to my own opinion. I'm not really going to be able to form a final opinion on IBO until I see where S2 goes because S1 fumbles the ending and it depends on if that fumble is picked up in S2 or not.

Yeah. I think the deciding factor for me was that I didn't find McGillas very compelling overall but a lot of what he did near the end of S1 was setting up for a payoff in S2 so it's always possible it could retroactively turn my opinion around on him...but it would have to be a heck of a payoff to feel worth it to me.

And in a franchise where the villains are frequently some of the most interesting characters from the get-go that's just a bummer!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

Since it appears to be difficult for people to resist referencing other Gundam shows despite the rules in place, I have a question: Why do you guys keep mentioning 00 in particular? I haven't seen it. Should I?

Besides some similarities in how the first season finale played out (the real villain behind the scenes being the actual victor, really minor characters being offed to try to add tension, etc) it's also the source of the meme about Gundam second seasons loving everything up.

It's hard to recommend these days since its second season dropped the ball pretty hard in a way that made a once-interesting and refreshing series feel tired and bland.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Erays3r posted:

So far so good , tho we're only 3 eps in. Im hopeful this bucks the trend.

The worries are more in the payoff than the setup, I feel

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Do we have any confirmation that Season 2 is the end of IBO? Perhaps we'll get the mythical third season of a Gundam show after this...

The split-season stuff was planned so if there's a third season I don't think it would happen any time soon. If it were to happen it would probably be a full on sequel series like Destiny made a year or two down the line, I imagine.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The idea of a Gundam series greater than 52 episodes is one I personally don't like tho...especially in the modern anime climate.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

anglachel posted:

Isn't IBO not super popular in Japan, (mediocre ratings and the models don't sell super well) and only got renewed because it was the first Gundam in a awhile to be well received in the West? That doesn't seem to be a formula for a 3rd season...

The show comes across like something they had always planned a split season for.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If they ended on season 1 it'd be an unfulfilling as heck ending. Lots of character arcs left unfinished and a villain talking about how things went according to plan? There's no meat in that!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They had premiere eps in Japan events too, it was just overshadowed by the news about the American con since it'd be in english.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They could have done those things, but we got what we did because they planned on that second season. If they truly meant to restrict it to a single season but were extended, the production would likely have looked way messier (easy example, Geass had its last few eps of season 1 delayed for months to change their plans).

The pacing of the earlier episodes makes more sense to me when considering a 50 episode run, such as the amount of eps they spent on the Brewers.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Was there nothing between SEED/Destiny and 00? 00 was my first Gundam series but I'm sure SEED seemed long ago at that point. Maybe I was confusing it with Wing.

There were some OVAs but at that point they went 2 years between those shows.

Feels like with IBO they're continuing the more recent trend of having at least one Gundam show if not more on tv each year, but not running constantly.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

I mean the only thing I know about Mari Okada is Tora Dora so maybe she should just stick to light novel adaptations next time.

At her best she's a really good writer. At her worst, she churns out garbage. You never know what you're gonna get when you see her name on the credits.

But that said the other stuff she wrote with the IBO director are quite good, in fact! Anohana is the definitive work by that team for a reason but they also worked on a 2015 movie called Anthem of the Heart that was excellent in its characterization; in retrospect making how IBO's characters were handled all the more disappointing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

So this solidifies to never hire Okada again for any project

Okada is probably the most prolific anime writer working today, she has a lot of misses but her hits are incredibly good and it would be a shame to lose her!!

• Locked thread