Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The scene in the car was the strongest in the episode for me. Cookie and Cracker both tease Mika with how much better than him they've gotten at reading, which was one of the nicest little bits of characterization in S1. Then, when the car blows up, we they are all too aware of how messed up Mika is, and they already lost Biscuit so they won't let him go out of the car ready to kill or be killed.

I don't have a lot of faith in this because of the Sunrise 2nd Season Curse, but it would be nice if I was wrong. IBO was always strong conceptually and this season already shows hints of some interesting themes at work. The question is if they will be executed satisfactorily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I don't know if I'm disappointed or excited that Gali-Gali is alive and cyborgized. I wish him good luck, maybe he'll give McGillis some trouble..

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Tae posted:

SEED Destiny didn't really poo poo the bed until episode 11, fair warning.

Early GSD had Neo Roanoke, the character assassination of Cagalli Yula Athna, ZAFT designing three mobile suits homaging the most hateful anti-Coordinator suits seen in SEED (one of which turns into a land animal, when they already have the technology to make their mobile suits fly) and a bunch of pointless insert songs, some of which repeat.

I know people wish Shinn was the real protagonist and Kira hadn't come to ruin his party but let's not pretend GSD was ever good.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

See, I had a really hard time buying that Cagalli was even the same character from the beginning, because she was always hotheaded and stubborn but I guess I can see how people would think she was just going through an arc. That's a fair disagreement.

Let me talk a little more about the thing you didn't address: While ZAFT being on the receiving end of a hijack was a nice parallel with the beginning of GS, the designs of Abyss, Gaia, and Chaos break the show's internal consistency. Not only are they obviously inspired by anti-coordinator machines, they might as well be named Evil Antagonist Machines 01, 02 and Gaia. Speaking of which, you'd think the Earth Federation would be the ones to name their Gundam "Earth", rather than the people who live in space, but I figure we're not supposed to think too much about the MS that transforms into a dog instead of something with flight capability. I honestly don't get how I'm supposed to believe this is a thing that could happen in-universe, not even as a hint that Durandal was a shady guy. Azrael was a cackling psychopath and I can see him wanting to call three MS's Calamity, Forbidden and Raider. Durandal was subtler than that and cared about manipulating public opinion.

So let's bring this back to IBO. So far the worst thing I can say about it is that Kudelia is still a very bad case of us being told she's competent offscreen rather than seeing for ourselves her competence at play. Everything happening in-universe so far feels like a reasonable consequence of what happened in S1. Yeah, there's one person who probably should be dead yet lives, but their mobile suit didn't get reduced to star dust onscreen so it's... Closer to acceptable. Besides, we need someone who can oppose McGillis competently and hopefully humanize him a little bit more. Gali Gali is the best candidate for that. The returning characters are still themselves. The tech and MS design are still the same from S1. I don't have high hopes for IBO S2, but it's at least consistent with itself so far, including Kudelia's problem.

I'd love it if IBO could break from the Sunrise second season curse, because S1 did some really interesting things and I think IBO gets an unjust bad reputation from Gundam fans who think there isn't enough combat. So far it looks like they still want it to be a character-centric series and that gives me a little bit of hope that the show will live up to its potential by the end.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember that McGillis was diving into a Gjallarhorn stronghold to kill one of his fellow Seven Stars heirs, and only took on Gaelio once there were no Gjallarhorn witnesses around. It's totally plausible that he wouldn't stick around to confirm the kill after taking out the Kimaris - yes, it could have massively hosed him and his plans over (and did) if his old buddy survived, but his decision makes sense for his particular blend of caution and arrogance.

It is not a problem of consistency in-universe but of consistent writing tone. One of the issues with the ending of S1 is that it lacked bite and a whole lot of people who supposedly died were actually fine. Having another survivor continues to undermine the show's gruesome treatment of the lethality of combat, which was always one of its strongest points. I'm a lot more okay with Cyborg Gaelio than with, say, Shino still being around. Other than the tone thing, it makes enough sense I can buy it, and I can see myself liking what Mecha-Gali adds to the show.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

They're not even trying to pretend that these kids won't die horribly but I still feel for them. The cold blooded manipulation and casual disregard for their lives is a lot more effective than the cackling evil of the Brewers. These kids can't catch a break. :smith:

Also, the conversation about having someone to look up to (and the unspoken implication of what people think of that kind of relationship when both people are of different genders) makes me think the masked cyborg could be one of Carta's men instead of Gaelio. Probably not the case, but it gave me that vibe.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Iok is incredible because he's not a baby eating evil powermonger. In a franchise full of cynical Gihrens and Basks who don't think twice about war crimes, Iok hesitates because he understands what he's doing is awful but he goes along with it anyway. He'll drat right mow down those fleeing noncombatants in the name of his dead subordinates!

It is a testament to this season's writing that Iok's development made me go from rolling my eyes at his pathetic incompetence to hating him.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Being Akihiro is suffering.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The final shot is Gaelio, Rustal, Iok and Julietta meeting to discuss the future after the destruction of Tekkadan. Their ship vanishes in a nuclear explosion. Cut to Kudelia smiling. End series.

After the credits, she takes off her wig and mask, revealing Lacus Clyne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

IBO is possibly the most cynical yet hopeful Gundam series yet. I wasn't super into it as some people here but I found the ending both touching and smart in skipping to years after the conflict ended, showing how the people adapted to it and changed.. I think it would have been better with like twenty less episodes of buildup, but it's still one of the tighter entries in the franchise thematically. It told the story it wanted to tell, even if it took a lot more episodes that it needed to do so. IBO stuck the landing and didn't flake out near the end. That's more you can say about many Gundam series.

Not too surprising, given how many of them got cancelled or changed directors along the way. :smith:

Also, Iok getting the scissors made me laugh. I'm a terrible human being.

• Locked thread