Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anglachel
May 28, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Do we have any confirmation that Season 2 is the end of IBO? Perhaps we'll get the mythical third season of a Gundam show after this...

Isn't IBO not super popular in Japan, (mediocre ratings and the models don't sell super well) and only got renewed because it was the first Gundam in a awhile to be well received in the West? That doesn't seem to be a formula for a 3rd season...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Droyer posted:

I've seen a lot of people say stuff like this for a lot of shows, but never seen what actually backs up that assertion. What are you basing this on?

I have no primary sources, but the fact that they had the premiere in an AMERICAN convention is a big flag that they are aiming it at the Worldwide audience.

There's lots of rumours that the Models are not popular and only Barbatos really sells. (which is a big deal)

And there are complaints with Japanese PTA groups (which i understand have a lot of sway in Japan) against the show as well.

Sales of the DVD's in Japan also don't seem super great. Overall based on secondary sources it seems like the show is doing okay, but not what you would expect from a mega anime franchise like Gundam that is supposed to reach beyond the normal Otaku crowd that most anime panders too these days. And not hitting projected metrics is the kiss of death for alot of projects. Especially the anime industry which makes so much money on secondary stuff like models, and DVD sales.

Srice posted:

The show comes across like something they had always planned a split season for.

I got the vibe that they set it up that if they needed to end it season 1 they could, but also planted seeds to make a second season. I mean they could have just upped the body count in the last couple of episodes, and ended it in a similar way, maybe with Mika or Orga dying and kept it mostly the same and had a decent ending for the series. Not everything needs to get wrapped up.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 19, 2016

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Srice posted:

If they ended on season 1 it'd be an unfulfilling as heck ending. Lots of character arcs left unfinished and a villain talking about how things went according to plan? There's no meat in that!

What character arcs? Mika or Orga character arcs end with one of them dying and the others transformation from that. They could have handled that in the last few episodes if they wanted too.

McGillis "getting away" with it, would have been also okay, because he was at the end of the story not a direct antagonist towards the main characters.

They could have easily changed things in the last 3 episodes to make it a bittersweet ending, that would have been true to tones of a show that features child soldiers and all that entails as it's protagonists.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I have been confidently told by people on the internet that G-Reco models didn't sell well, except for G-Self, Build Fighters Try models din't sell well, except for the Build Burning, and now IBO models didn't sell well, except for the Barbatos.

Maybe Bandai needs to lower their sales expectations for side character models!

This is the correct answer. But I would say it's probably true of every media these days. Everything that is genre has to take the world by storm or it's an abject failure it feels like.

jackhunter64 posted:

He basically gave himself a stroke by going full-throttle with the Barbatos's AV system in the first series finale. His right eye is also knackered and only works when he's plugged into Barbatos.

It might be less a stroke and more that his nervous system and brain are now so fully integrated into Barbatos they don't work properly except when wired in. (as a stroke from what I understand actually fries part of your brain, where as they work perfectly when he's plugged in) Though that's probably a oranges vs tangerines argument.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Ka0 posted:

When people say "didn't sell well" what is the contrast, compared to what didn't it sell well?

I guess the analogy would be that Gundam is the Star Wars of Japan. So the expectations for it aren't "make it's money back and a tidy profit". The expectations are "is a mega blockbuster".

AnoHito posted:

Also note that I'm pretty sure there's no real way to check things like model sales (a pretty important aspect of a show like this) other than "some guys on the internet said X," which as we all know is just an infallible method of getting good intel :v:

You can probably track down hard numbers in investors meetings and what have you about overall models sold. But they almost certainly don't go into "This one sold X or Y" in those kind of things other than maybe to report some kind of record breaking whatever. In America you can usually just ask the distributor and they will tell you what things are hot or not, and even if they don't tell you. You can still tell which things are flagging by the offered discounts. If a distributor offers discounts on stuff it means they have product not moving in their warehouses that they need gone. Whether it works this way in Japan I have no idea.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 20, 2016

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

I don't think I'd class their actions as hubristic because that implies a belief of invincibility; I think reckless is a lot more accurate. Orga is at least nominally aware about the nature of the risks he takes and the cost of failure; remember that Biscuit died in his arms. He just believes that taking insane risks is the only way to advance Tekkadan at a rate that he views as meaningful and acceptable. The blinders on Orga aren't that he isn't aware that Tekkadan could get hosed and lose everything, it's that he doesn't realize that the very success of Tekkadan is exacerbating the problem that Tekkadan's success is meant to fix. However, I do agree with:

I think Orga's read is pretty on point. The world of Iron Blooded Orphans is not one where you can just settle on a farm and be safe and secure without an in with the powerful. Having McGillis be top dog is probably their only chance at present to have any kind of real long term security. There's also the simple fact that if McGillis thinks Tekkadan isn't with him, then he's gonna think they are a tool that can used against him. And Orga just saw him carry off a power play that had him on top of the most powerful organization in space. Why would he want to make this guy an enemy? Especially when he's already worked with him before at benefit to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

Not having McGillis as an enemy and entering into an alliance with him aren't the same thing, though. While I agree that Tekkadan definitely doesn't want to make an enemy of McGillis, Orga's just entered into an implicit contract where if McGillis fucks up his incredibly dangerous political game, Tekkadan will receive blowback for it, even if they don't have anything to do with why McGillis hosed up. McGillis isn't on top; he took control of the Fareed family, and taking control involved deeply damaging the Fareed family's prestige by implicating his father in the corruption at Edmonton. Rustal's faction controls the greatest part of Gjallarhorn's military forces(Arianhrod) and has the approval/support of other Seven Stars(Iok). That's a pretty dangerous thing to align yourself against, especially since Orga deliberately mentions Tekkadan's puny status relative to those other factions. The differential in power is illustrated pretty starkly by the battle here where McGillis was only able to send one ship while Rustal could scrounge up five to take Sandoval.

McGillis would likely view Tekkadan refusing to take the deal badly. Right now it's known that he has ties to Tekkadan and probably helped him, but it's not PROVEN. And in these political games, having it be someone everyone knows about is fine, but having it something everyone knows about and can prove is not. He would likely switch Tekkadan from the useful tool category to "potential threat" and then Orga is left with no allies in the only form of real government on Mars. Whether or not he would actually take actions against Tekkadan is unknown. McGillis strikes me as a guy who wouldn't just nilly willy try to get Tekkadan killed off, but if Tekkadan ever tried to get cozy with other parts of Gjallharhorn would. Which means allying with McGillis is the only meaningful path to legitimacy Orga has.

• Locked thread