Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
We're all in agreement that at some point this season Tekkadan are going to get collectively slaughtered down to a small group of the main cast by their own hubris, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

I think it kind of has to eventually, or some kind of equivalent fall from grace for Tekkadan should. Maybe they'll just become a part of some new corrupt, exploitative world government or something. Who knows for sure.

It won't be political corruption. They have been carving a bloody mess through everyone they fight without a shred of mercy. Eventually the wheel is gonna turn and bring the same down on them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One thing we can all agree on is that Radice's life expectancy is going to drop very sharply once the Mars Branch get in touch with the Earth Branch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

Ibo is the first time that solid weapons and giant claws make sense, because beam or even heat powered weaponry doesn't exist.

The Earth machines in season 1 of Gundam 00 used solid ammo too. The Celestial Being Gundams using particle beam weapons was a big upset along with the rest of their fancy high-tech toys.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sam Faust posted:

I enjoy how more... evasive villains are dealt with in this anime.

"You foiled my plans today Tekkadan, but I'll get you next ti-"

In any other show, the protagonists would shrug and be upset about the guy turning up later to ruin their day again. In IBO, they just hunt them down now. :unsmigghh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

McGillis stands to gain nothing at tihs point from setting up tekkadan. If he's pushing for absolute control of Gjallarhorn he needs all the help he can muster.

"Look Earth, I have slain the fearsome Tekkadan! Praise me and make me the new head of the Seven Stars!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Personally I kinda want to see it go Gungrave towards the end, with Mika having to dismantle Tekkadan for going Too Far. It almost certainly won't, but we all know drat well Tekkadan's going to lose big at some point this season.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

paragon1 posted:

That's what tons of people were saying last season too. I really don't get the fascination some people have with tragic downfalls, or why they insist on viewing all media with the mindset that one is totally going to happen you guys. It has too,

Orga keeps recklessly betting everything and everyone he has on the next chance to win. Every winning streak has an end, and S1 very nearly went there if it hadn't pulled everyone surviving the fight with Ein at the eleventh hour.

paragon1 posted:

McGillis loving over his own allies would just prove he's a giant dumbass. It certainly wouldn't keep Rustal from doing whatever he's going to do.

Why would you think he's going to backstab them before dealing with Rustal? Once Rustal goes, McGillis doesn't exactly have a need for a mercenary group capable for fending off global military forces.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

All of these are plausible, as would be a belief that it's impossible to reconcile a reformed Gjallarhorn with one ruled over by an aristocracy. It's pretty easy to understand where he'd get the idea that maybe having a small group of hereditary noble families wielding disproportionate power over the solar system's strongest military power might not be conducive to fair and just rule, especially given his adoptive father's political maneuvering.

There's also the pretty much guaranteed fact that precisely none of the Seven Stars would likely go along with a plan of reform that caused them to lose any significant amount of power, and you can't reform an organization without at least some level of cooperation from its leaders.

It's not a matter of support, it's an issue of ingrained thought processes and principles. All of them have the same fundamental rear end-backwards ego and ideals that Carta exemplified, and the only way to fix Gjallarhorn without it returning to how it is now five minutes later is by clearing house from top to bottom. Even if they're all just kicked out they'll try something to undermine him from without or within, so they're going to have to all die.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Colour images of the Vidar's back are finally out, and... poo poo, that really is a third Ahab reactor. Gaelio really wasn't kidding about his new ride being special. :stare:

This also raises the possibility of entirely modern twin-reactor machines down the line, which would be quite something.

The stripe? The Grazes have two on the front and one on the back as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gorelab posted:

I thought it was more a sign that he may have been abused.

That's what I figured too. The AV whiskers are an interesting theory, though I can't help but think we'd have seen some sign of it with the Grimgerde if it was the case.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zebulon posted:

Yeah. I'm going with the interpretation that he's such a sleazy gently caress he's manipulating a literal child over, you know, being a bit TOO much of A Char. Because I think even IBO really doesn't want to go with the alternative. But that's still a very good reminder that he is in fact the sort of sleazy gently caress who's probably planning to manipulate a literal child into doing something to bring about an internal civil war and/or worse. With a pretty good chance of said child dying in the course of it.

I'm not crazy in remembering that the few other times she's shown up it's been pretty clear that she's just a means of consolidating power and he's never showed any signs of doing anything but humoring her for the sake of that power consolidation and keeping the, uh, marriage intact, right?

It was always a joke of a political marriage between Seven Stars families, McGillis is just going to use it and twist it to his advantage like everything else.

If the masked guy is Gaelio, McGillis is essentially bulletproof with Gaelio's sister onhand to threaten.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

Naze will find himself dead at the hands of either Tekkadan or Teiwaz.

Naze's gonna throw himself on his own sword, just like he promised he would.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That's part of what makes McGillis such a good character; He'll be genuinely nice and kind to you right up until your usefulness is at an end.

Then all bets are off :unsmigghh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Putting Tekkadan at the top of the hill on Mars means, when the time comes to put Gjallarhorn back on the map under his leadership, McGillis has a very large single target to direct his forces at for a political victory. Mars comes back under Earth control and Gjallarhorn crushes that nasty Tekkadan lot in one go.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

Oh jesus. Yeah let's just leave it there.

Dont leave it in the thread, take it outside and burn it! :barf:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of curiosity, is there anyone who still thinks this season isn't going to end with Tekkadan getting its poo poo kicked in and an obscene amount of deaths?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Me, because I'm pretty sure that'll happen around the halfway/two-thirds mark. poo poo is coming to a head fast, and we're not even ten episodes into the season.

I'm idly wondering if we'll see another timeskip at the halfway mark between cours, just to settle in things like Tekkadan being the Sovereigns of Mars before it all goes right down the toilet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

Akihiro's going to have to kill his girlfriend; hopefully the result will be another Meat Loaf video like we got when it happened in Victory.

If When Naze makes good on his promise I could see the Turbines making a suicide revenge run against Tekkadan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Belzac posted:

Wouldn't it be more likely it's Ein's reactor? Possibly still attached to him.

The problem is they're not just plain old power reactors, they work like Gundam 00's in that they need to synchronize to function properly. Getting two to work in tandem is something obscenely complex, and just bolting a random third one onto a 300-year-old Gundam simply should not work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think the Rapier tips are meant to be slim-jimmed in between armor plates and then detonated to gently caress up the frame beneath.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

I like the Flauros but that color scheme has to go.

It needs to go alright.

It needs to make shells go three times faster than a standard railgun shell :smuggo:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just caught up on the latest episode. That sound was not a good sound to hear anything make :suspense:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh no, Mika's former hatred of swords was foreshadowing him meeting his greatest nemesis, a sword made out of beams.

He never hated swords, he just couldn't figure out how to use one properly. The clubs were much simpler to use, so he just avoided the sword until he had no other options but to try wielding it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know, a terrible thought occurs; We've now seen most of the typical Gundam cliche's used in some unique form or other, except for one. Which leads me to a horrifying conclusion; The Mobile Armors are controlled by genocidal Haro's.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Creamfilled posted:

I like the little detail that Tekkadan uses bullets in Flauros' railguns that are almost, but not quite, reaching the limit of being a war-crime. That's how you know that they're the good guys.

Also, anyone else find it telling that using guns that can pierce Mobile Suit nanolaminate armor is a warcrime but putting kids in the pilot seat of one isn't? Gjallarhorn sure has some weird priorities.

I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but given the tech level I'd bet the shells approach Rod from God velocities. A railgun round hitting the earth fast enough is essentially the kinetic blast of a nuclear strike.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

derra posted:

Not only that, but with the plant down, Chryse is screwed either way now. I can't imagine the colony can take such a hit to its agricultural production.

Only one of the hexagons got cooked, not the entire facility.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

Somehow all the electronics in the mobile suits work just fine with the reactor on, so there's some kind of shielding that is probably uneconomical to put on everybody's TV set in the civilian world. You could probably harden the electronics in a bunker or something if you wanted to drop an Ahab Reactor in it.

In any event, the point I'm making is that the Mobile Armor is still Real Bad but will go against more enemies in the current day that are beam-resistant than it did during the Calamity War, so while it will still destroy cities with no problem the forces arrayed against it will have a better chance than the people who were bucking for an Order of the Seven Stars during the Calamity War.

Nope. The reason half-metal is so valuable is because it can be used to make electronics capable of functioning within Ahab waves.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I like that McGillis had no idea about the Order of the Seven Stars, but it sounds like a good plan so why the hell not?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oh Snapple! posted:

I don't think he was unaware of it - he's done way too much research to not know about it.

He just very legitimately hadn't even considered it until it became a matter of "gently caress it, may as well" after Iok shat everything up.

Here's a thought;

Tekkadan/Orga wind up with the Order instead somehow. Having even just one'd be a supreme upset for all concerned.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's one question no-one seems to be asking;

Who made the Mobile Armors?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shinjobi posted:

I think McGillis just really wants a hug, and he just never noticed how much his childhood friends were willing to oblige him.:3:

Actually it's mostly "I'm gonna gently caress over my abusive adoptive father and everything he stood for", by the looks of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

I dunno, I'm getting more of a "My great, great, great, great granddaddy was Agnika Kaieru and you have all hosed up the vision he had." feel from him.

Actually that makes a considerable amount of sense. A Seven Stars family tracking down his heir and adopting them would probably have at least some political play with the other Families somehow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Re: the origin of the mobile armors, I'm betting that they were effectively weapons of mass destruction developed by pre-Calamity War governments akin to the current economic blocs to be used as deterrents against each other Mutually Assured Destruction style and then some sort of conflict caused them to actually be deployed en masse. Cue the governments collapsing under the weight of literal robot dragons trying to wipe out humanity and Agnika Kaeru forming Gjallarhorn to save humanity.

If that were true, there'd be some kind of parameter for friendly forces and locations. These things had to have all come from a single source or faction to be utterly indescriminate in their genocidal slaughter. If they were "conventional" military superweapons, you can be certain after 300 years Gjallarhorn would have archived IFF signals or faction banners to use.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phobophilia posted:

Or maybe IFFs are cryptographically impossible to spoof, and the infrastructure to build friendly IFF keys were wiped out by other faction's MAs before Gjallarhorn rose to power. I think the existence of killbots doesn't necessarily change the themes of this show from the sins of man to the sins of AI.

350 years of better tech, owned by the people with the only real records lasting all the back to the Calamity War, are gonna crush any kind of encryption that old by brute force. If it were a military weapon that several factions use, it wouldn't bother playing possum and then go for a random civilian population, it'd assess threats and go for Gjallarhorn bases.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phobophilia posted:

I just assumed that tech had plateaued, AI-driven research has been banned, no new breakthroughs in materials or infotech. And there has been no incentive to brute force crack MA IFFs. I mean, the Calamity war is over, the MAs are all dead.

A major plot point in season 1 was it turning out Gjallarhorn were happliy researching and using technology considered banned. It's how we got Graze Ein.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Adel posted:

There were 72 gundams during the war, which means we're looking at 72 kids who got the whiskers. And that's just counting the ones who survived; I don't remember if the exact success rate was ever given, but we know it's low (and it was probably even lower back then since it was new technology), so that's hundreds of children that went through the process to get 72 pilots that would likely not be coming back when the war's over. And before that you need test subjects to get the whole thing usable.

That's a level of horrifying that I don't see the aristocracy subjecting themselves to, and that's even if there are enough noble kids to offer up as candidates. It'd be easier to pull from the larger vulnerable pool of poor kids and orphans when a pilot is needed.

I suspect the success rate would be at least a little higher, as the AV surgeries we've seen are done by people whose level of care can be summed up as "whoops. NEXT!". Nevermind the level of support equipment they might have for the procedure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

With centuries of maturation for the technology. I can believe they'd beat the current 60% success rate, but I'd think with how it's generally portrayed in-setting that it's still going to be high risk (especially for people who went in for multiple whiskers, which I'd assume as a default for Gundam pilots).

Plus, they're doing all this work under heavy pressure, since they're trying to invent a machine to save humanity in the middle of a war for survival. I figure war orphans will be easy to come by, and time to reduce fatality rates less so.

It's more that the operations would likely be done in actual surgical conditions by trained doctors and nurses, with supporting medical/cybernetic tech available to remedy or offset any complications. Considering they made 72 advanced war machines with very complicated twin-drive power systems, I don't think it was an issue of resources and time.

Again, the operations we've seen pretty much consist of whoever's got a steady hand and which room is the least dirty. I don't doubt it's still a delicate high-risk procedure, but we're not exactly seeing qualified surgeons perform it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

There is no certainty that the pilots were children.

The leader of gjallerhorn was almost certainly not a child, but judging from the reaction to Mika he absolutely was a mobile suit pilot, and probably one with whiskers at that.

We know that AV tech can work with adults having seen the Einborg. It seems entirely reasonable that when a military force is developing the gundams they could have also safely implanted grown soldiers rather than children.

The AV tech absolutely requires children, because it grows into their spinal column as a fundamental part of how it works. Einborg was a brutal surgical replacement, and all the Gundams we've seen have had conventional cockpits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

The subpar version of the surgery performed by (what I presume) the least drunk guy on staff to disposable children requires children.

No. The basic principle of the AV surgery is it integrates with developing nerves and grows into them, which is something entirely different to how it's performed.

• Locked thread