Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Someone should really get around to reading that book. Might be nice to know what role you are casted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A major plot point in season 1 was it turning out Gjallarhorn were happliy researching and using technology considered banned. It's how we got Graze Ein.

Which got owned by a 350 year old suit.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I sort of doubt that we are looking at a Doomsday device working as intended. After all humans stopped building autonomous robots.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Seems to me the original pilots were more like Einborg than random streetkids.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Adel posted:

How much of a difference in performance would you actually get between an experienced pilot and an inexperienced one?

What's the point of combat training when I already can move my body with my mind?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Your friend's a huge idiot.

Though if you didn't like the first season then the second probably won't do it for you either

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Escalating.

Escalating.

McGillis Fareed just launched a military coup of the most powerful group in the solar system and you're accusing Gaelio of escalating?

So much for the tolerant left.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Going by Gundam tropes we can expect Choco man to pull out some WMDs of his own. However at this point I wouldn't be surprised if he really turns out to be just a delusional space dork and the horror is not finding out that you have done a deal with the devil but that you got the side role so he can play at being his childhood hero.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say Orga's still sane. He's clearly realized how much he's hosed up, it's just that, through bad luck and even worse decisions, he's out of options that aren't "work with total loving lunatic".

That went surprisingly unremarked. Orga actually for once saw his lovely hand and wanted to fold.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

He is very intelligent and a master schemer but his core desire isn't reform or power but becoming Agnika. He is running after a childish fantasy.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It's really hard to say just which way Rustal would go. He makes it clear that he doesn't like unnecessary cruelty, even if he has a very broad definition of 'necessary', and seems to be mostly opposing McGillis because he agrees with Gaelio's reasons for stopping him. He clearly has enormous respect for Gjallarhorn and what it's accomplished, but it remains very unclear how he'd react to a reform package that isn't presented by a sociopathic manchild lunatic.

Nah, it's really not. Propping up the current socio economic system is what Rustal is all about. There will always be space rats in his world. Also corruption and nepotism. Just look at Iok and what he let him get away with because of who his dad was.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

If they're going with the 'rise and fall of Imperial Japan' angle, I don't believe that anyone in the US high command faced any consequences for Hiroshima or Nagasaki - and yeah, I don't want to get into a big argument over whether those were justified in real life, I'm just noting that the show might be drawing from the popular narrative that they were a show of force against a country that was already trying to surrender.

I can't think of anything in the show that would fit this "angle"?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

You're right. Clearly they spent the entire episode setting up McGillis considering Orga a rival for Mika only to have Orga assassinated by a minor side character with no connection at all to the entire rest of the episode.

As was pointed out it wasn't a 'couple of enigmatic things'. Literally every single bit of screentime McGillis had this episode was either related to Orga or talking to Mika and getting Orgablocked.

So how do you reconcile that with his later monologuing about wolves hunting in packs and that poo poo being not for him? Because that reads like he gave up on Mika.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nobliss had no way of knowing about Orga's location. Lots of use don't think Nobliss is uninvolved. I think McGillis told Nobliss the location.

Watching Kudelia's office is a total nobrainer. The only other place you could try to lay an ambush would be the farm.

ImpAtom posted:

I assume that line was "Well, they're outlived their usefulness, time for betrayal." It's certainly more evidence that McGillis isn't doing it just to be nice to Orga.

But the wolf in question is clearly Mika (Lupus Rex). So the motive of getting rid of Orga to recruit Mika doesn't work.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

This is pretty much exactly what I came here to say.
I actually found McGillis' overall arc quite satisfying. You start out seeing him as the noble young revolutionary prince, out to overthrow the corrupt system with his pure ideals and true heart, and as the show goes on it's increasingly clear that's how he sees himself... because he's living out an elaborate fantasy plan he devised when he was an abused child.
And he managed to make it part of the way through - hell, a lot of the way - but he didn't ever stop to re-evaluate the plan, so in the end he's still acting as though he's in a storybook, while Rustal is actually fighting a war. And in war, the lone hero against impossible odds usually just dies.

Similarly, he thought that everyone else would bow to him when he got Bael running, because he was still seeing that piece of the future through the eyes of a child. Turns out, the grown-ups didn't want their whole political system overturned by a single symbolic gesture.

Still is worth saying. I liked McGillis' arc very much.

Caros posted:

Could also be that he has a touch if respect for Gailio. Gailio clearly wanted to deal with the matter himself and wouldn't have been satisfied if some mook had managed to gank McGillis in the back while he was fighting.

Status gives you a certain leeway in Rustal's world. It is often noted how few mistakes Rustal made yet he never pushed GallyGally to reveal himself before MCGillis had amassed a sizeable fleet.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tae posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't remotely see it as antagonistic? Rustal is if anything a realist and having his subordinates away from being idealistic in the clouds is how you really prevent future mcgillis.

Keeping his actual image and keeping it real makes julieta trust him more than anything

Not at all. Rustal has consistently been brutally honest in his personal dealings with his subordinates. That is quite the contrast to McGillis who encourages delusion.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm not sure why anyone would use IBO as a reason to never hire her again. Overall I'd say it was one of the best Gundam shows. I couldn't think of a single one I'd comfortably rate higher.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I like the first season of 00 a little better, just for running a "we're working to an unshown/seen plan" story that actually had a complete plan laid out. That and the various factions asking the real basic question of "how can we abuse their abilities to kill/capture them?" instead of merely being in awe of the fancy flying robots clowning their ace pilots.

I don't yet know how well it holds up on a rewatch but for me it's really only Turn A that might make the cut. I never really bought into the 00 first season. I like the basic idea of the grand plan but there were a lot of things that muddled the water. Without the Thrones and whatever the season 1 badguy's name was I'd probably have enjoyed it more. At least conceptionally.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Exactly that actually. Tell Orga he is full of poo poo. One of the weaknesses of the tragedy of the show is that while it was clear they wouldn't listen to advice no one really tried.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, Rustal didn't care one way or another. But then what was it that McGillis wanted to reform except that he wanted to run things? Promotions on merit within Gallahorn don't really matter one way or another for anyone who isn't in the army. A bit less corruption is what you promise if you really don't want to change anything.
And of course making Tekkadan king of Mars would also have been a first rate tragedy. Can anyone imagine how that wouldn't have ended in a mountain of corpses?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, the Gallahorn founding myth looks more and more like bullshit. Nuking them from orbit isn't very heroic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I can see that but are Deinsleifs more expensive than gundams? And having a squishy meat center or an armored central processor unit makes barely a difference when armor counts for paper.

• Locked thread