Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad Mika is serious about his farming. It's good that he has things to keep himself occupied with outside of murder and war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Meribit is basically in Biscuit's role from season 1. The most cautious member of Tekkadan, close with Orga and someone who he can actually show weakness around. It's a bit different since Biscuit was a close friend, while she's an older and more mature advisor if anything, but still similar. And just like with Biscuit her doubt of Orga's plans is to show that he's still walking a dangerous line in his goal to use these kids as child soldiers so they don't have to be child soldiers any more. And who knows, maybe he'll bite off more than he can chew this season.

Though i'm not sure if it was wise to put as much focus as they did on how dangerous this operation could be early on, because the fight seems to be serving the purpose of showing that Tekkadan's become kind of a big deal over the time skip. They've got a bunch of actual mobile suits, they've got more people and more ships, they're in a much better position than they were in season 1and can probably handle this.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Raxivace posted:

A detail that the first episode of the season mentioned was that Tekkadan's success has actually inspired others to start deploying more child soldiers. Hopefully, Orga will have to eventually face the fact that his actions have had incredibly hosed up consequences such as this. Biscuit's death was sad, but there are many Biscuits out there now who will die.

They showed that this episode as well with how these random pirates who probably won't be too important past next episode are using human debris. And Mika is still just mowing through them like any other solider he faces.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 17, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Like honestly, I don't think Gaelio's really fighting for anything. He's mainly concerned with opposing McGillis, who he's determined is in the wrong and a bad dude. I'm pretty sure he's working with Rustal less because he actually agrees with the status quo or what the dude represents , but because it is the most effective way to oppose his ex-bestie.

I don't think it's even entirely because of revenge. Gaelio seems to have really made a big effort to understand McGillis, to figure out why he betrayed him and what his reasons were. Which is a pretty big departure from season 1 where he was so invested in killing the Tekkadan guys without bothering to try and understand them or their motivations. Now though I think he sincerely wanted to figure out what McGillis wants to accomplish and understand how he thinks, it's just that by doing this he came to the conclusion that McGillis and his ideals are wrong and need to be stopped. I bet he never even thought about if he agreed with Rustal when he became a symbol for Rustal's Gjallarhorn or whether he believes the ideals he claims to represent are also represented by the people he's fighting for, he's only concerned with being an effective opposition to his best friend.

Like that's still basically a personal feud since the only reason he started thinking those things was after he and his friends were betrayed by the guy, but I think there's more to it than blind revenge. Gaelio's just primarily concerned with fighting against McGillis and what he represents (since he knows the dude is wrong), rather than fighting for anything at all. Who knows maybe once McGillis dies Gaelio will try to change some things now that he's made actual effort to think about right and wrong and everything, or maybe with his mission complete he'll just decide to retire I dunno.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sazabi posted:

Why is "Kings of mars" looked at as an impossible dream. But fending off a ground assault, making it back into space, breaking through the largest fleet in the solar system right now, a fleet who isn't afraid to use danslaifs, with a single damaged ship, almost no spare parts, 1/5 of their funds, a three week trip to earth full of pirates, and somehow sneaking onto earth without being recognized as the solar systems most wanted, and then breaking into a highly guarded Gallyhorn databank so they can all become John McJohnson.

A Ryusei-go repair-V flying into the final battle with funnels and laser cannons sounds more plausible. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Shino again in a Vidar style Helmut painted magenta with those eyes painted on.

Because becoming King of Mars involves not just surviving that fleet with no resources and mechs, it means actively defeating them in prolonged battle.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm mad Rustal survived and ended up doing good for the world. Creating a democracy, freeing Mars and all that. Should've really been more of Kudelia's doing, but she got sidelined through all of season 2 so I guess that wouldn't have really worked. If she had more of a presence in the season and played a more essential role in Martian Freedom though i'd probably think this was a very good ending. Julieta, Gaelio and all of Tekkadan had endings I thought were appropriate, and were mostly heart-warming. Even Ride and pals being vigilantes feels like a good ending for them. It's probably better not everyone just completely adjusts to peace anyway.

All-in-all a decent anime. I had a lot of problems with both seasons but I liked most of the characters and I think for the most part they were done justice, though there were some exceptions. Probably not the best gundam for me to start with, but acceptable enough.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I have a hard time going "Boy, I'm sure glad Nobliss died" when his involvement was "he had people watching a place and they killed a guy without him even knowing" in a setting where we're supposed to be cheering for space mafia guys. I mean Nobliss is a poo poo but I'm not sure what makes him more of a poo poo than Teiwaz is.

I'm not really glad that he died or anything, but I sure can't blame Ride for killing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The tragedy of Orga's philosophy is that he really did make a family for these kids. It's just that he managed that before the season even started and all his actions this season to make a better place for them after it was all over, become King of Mars and all that, was pointless and made everything worse. Because as the last few episodes showed Tekkadan would still stick together even if they cut their losses and let the company die. Orga still saved a lot of these people but if he had got out of the game earlier rather than keeping at it (for their sake admittedly) a lot of them wouldn't have died and it'd probably have been a happier ending.

• Locked thread