Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
for ease of future reference:

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
so this is basically Sid but in a good show

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
isn't Barbatos sitting in the middle of a farm like the centerpiece of the image taking up half of the very first ending

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i am fine with the colors too! for whatever reason i think teal and that beige go decently together

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
it's actually perfectly realistic for space nobility to say 'if you do this thing you have divine right', and then when some peasant somehow pulls it off they turn around and tell him 'whoa, hey, cool your horses now, what say we drop your taxes and you forget this ever happened, that whole divine right thing only actually applies to the highborn'

i knew immediately Mika was going to be the one to slay the dragon - i can also tell you right now that he isn't getting jack poo poo for doing so

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
that's a new and terrifyingly appropriate smiley i've never seen

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They've already started production or preproduction for the next gundam and I doubt its going to be another IBO. Bandai would probably have a reason to keep using IBOs inner frames for the models but a third season would be pushing it.

I can't imagine a third season, but maybe Bandai will keep selling models from the Gekko side-story

i hope so, because i want a model of the Triaina

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
you know i realized, i cannot actually entirely eliminate the possibility that Vidar is just Carta with a voice modulator

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
c'mon Isurugi I know you were kind of a non-character but that doesn't mean you decide the best way to not get your boss killed is to shove your cockpit in the way. like you're in a burly-rear end muscleman robot with massive shoulders, why not one of those

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
and the swords aren't even that special, they're the exact same ones he had when he was running around pretending to be Char

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i wish there was an alternative to having read that post

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i was sure for a minute that it was gonna be Julietta in that Vidar mask explicitly trying to prompt McGillis into pausing and opening himself to being shot, even if she died doing it, to protect Gaelio

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I hope there isn't a direct sequel, but this is a pretty good universe to tell more stories in. Honestly they should play it like they did UC - shift the focus entirely, on a different conflict predicated on how the world changed after a rag-tag group from Mars just about upended the stability of the entire Solar System. Maybe Rustal bites it and doesn't manage to ensure Gjallarhorn recovers from this blow - the show could then focus on the economic blocs it's been holding in check for so long and a conflict among the people there. I'd actually like to see a little more of how life actually is on Earth - we got a very vivid picture of what things are like on Mars but Earth stuff focused primarily on the nobles and very little on the ordinary people.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
not only that, but making it so that default option doesn't turn them into instant high-tier pilots of insanely powerful mobile suits that can tear apart entire armies and keep going after they've been functionally nuked from orbit

I think that's a thing not to be overlooked about Iok Kujan's death - he stepped in there because they directly nailed these Gundams with literally the most powerful weapon of humanity's invention, and they were STILL running, and he STILL died - and Julietta was there, and she watched this happen, and everyone would believe her when she said something needed to be done because she was literally the flagship hero who finally took the Gundam's head. She probably had a significant hand in advising Rustal to make sure something like Tekkadan could never rise up again - after all, she was insistent about staying completely untouched by anything like the A-V, and now she has a horror story about exactly what it turns people into.

So Rustal has more or less complete control of Earth after it's all said and done, he knows strategically how dangerous Tekkadan and anything similar can be in the hands of some charismatic rear end in a top hat, the second most powerful person to him. The biggest name on Mars is Kudelia, who has direct personal motivations for doing away with child soldiers and Human Debris. Right behind him he has Julietta, someone who is a public hero on a scale not seen since Kaieru and the original Seven Stars, who ALSO has personal motivations for making sure the warriors of the world aren't insane inhuman meat processors for crazy ancient war machines of which very few have known locations. Teiwaz is still powerful, and the two big names there, McMurdo and Azee, both had deep connections to Tekkadan, with Azee in particular particularly driven by the death of her close friend from this whole mess. The Seven Stars themselves are in shambles, with three of their brightest stars dead and a fourth occupied with rehabilitation while the other two are no-names - I don't know how the Seven Stars work, but if it is at all dynastic in nature, there are exceedingly likely to be succession conflicts in the wake of there being openings for exceedingly powerful positions. And the singular thing Rustal cares about is stability.

There is nothing less stable than refusing to do away with something the public at large will clamor for you to do, or something almost all of the most powerful kingpins around you are clamoring for you to do, and while you're sitting large as a hero who kept the solar system safe, you might as well reform the system to shield it from the likelihood of coming succession crises and wars between petty nobles and claimants to the throne of the Seven Stars. I think Rustal's decision is obvious when you look carefully at how exactly the solar system will be administrated in the years following the attempted coup, and I don't think his motivation changed at all. He was someone willing to defy tradition in the name of stability, and now that he's the only Star worth a drat he has both the means and a good reason to see the current system as unsustainable.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the first half of 00 is cool but the second half fell apart utterly. both halves of IBO are solid so as a complete show it's definitely leagues above 00

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Caros posted:

I'm not surprised this exists. But I am happy it exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwLLG-Qu1Nw

man

i can't actually be happy about that in the end

like, Iok's crimes were ridiculous levels of naivete and a drive to prove himself even though he didn't know a loving thing about what he was doing and putting a lot of people in danger

but he really gets...one really grisly, long, drawn-out, horrifying to imagine death, I'd argue the most painful and stomach-churning in the whole show

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
this conversation went places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Honestly I don't put much stock at face value on almost anything told about the Calamity War. We just don't know enough about exactly how desperate the situation with the Mobile Armors were. Did they have A-V technology for a long time or was it developed ASAP once these war machines were going out of control and killing everyone? Were the Gundams operated by elite soldiers, or did all the elite soldiers die trying to stop these things and they stuffed anyone they had left into the last resort they had? Did these fighters stuffed full of cybernetics really become the powerful elite founders of the Seven Stars, or were they just the champions of the elite that propped them up as heroes and leaders while they themselves worked to rebuild what organization they could?

I have doubts Agnika Kaieru was ever in a position of political power - hell, I have doubts Agnika Kaieru even lived to see Gjallarhorn formed. My prediction is that he was a crazy scrappy bastard who kept charging in and beating up Mobile Armors because to get the first Gundam to be effective, they had to find someone who was good at hand-to-hand combat, NOT Mobile Suit combat, and you're more likely to find that in some notorious murderous criminal than in a military armed forces that largely relies on Mobile Suits. He had the fortune and barely enough skill to not die to Mobile Armors and became a hero of the people and heavily mythologized as a savior by anyone left to tell the tale. God only knows what happened to him later on, only that the Bael was intact and he was a famous figure and a powerful symbol. Hell, considering Mika paralyzed himself in order to fight ONE Mobile Armor and Kaieru probably slayed dozens, Kaieru probably spent almost all of the Calamity War a cripple, and if he was still alive at the end, he would've likely just been paraded around while plugged into Bael, and without it he might not have even been able to talk or breathe.

...considering the nature of this universe, for all I know the entire Calamity War was a plot for whoever the original Seven Stars were, assuming the actual leaders weren't actually the Gundam Pilots, to grab power. They were left alive because the MAs might not have been programmed to even attack them, or perhaps simply because they were the patrons of the Gundams and hence the only people with any kind of defense.

• Locked thread