Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I dunno that I really buy Mika suddenly going into a leadership role like that.

On paper I can see how Mika trying to emulate the one person he ever looked up to would make sense, but onscreen it doesn't ring true to me.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kanos posted:

I don't know if I really see what Mika did as a leadership role. He basically stood up and said "we're going to continue following Orga's last command, no matter what" - which is entirely in line with his character - and he seems to have committed himself to a suicide mission to ensure that at least some of Tekkadan lives to fulfill that order. This lines up with his previous assertion that if only he killed more guys faster and better, Orga's plans would have worked.

Note that in the actual defense Eugene is the one who is giving all of the commands and encouragement to people. Mika just used his near-mythical status in Tekkadan as Orga's unstoppable right hand to stop them from falling apart long enough for Eugene to take command.
Being able to give tactical orders is not the only thing a leader does- obviously I'm not saying Mika was doing that. Motivating people and keeping them motivated though is in fact an insanely important part of leading groups of people, especially in the face of tragedy where emotions run high.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yelling at people in very simple words to do a thing they were already ordered to do and were in the process of doing before the confusion happened isn't really a leadership role. The only person who gave any orders or showed any leadership in Tekkadan this episode was Eugene. Mika just cowed people.
The lesser Tekkadan members not were not in the process of doing what they were supposed to do at the moment. That's the whole point of the beginning of the episode- they were itching to throw their plan away to get revenge against Gjallarhorn, despite not even knowing for sure that they were the ones responsible for killing Orga. This was ignoring basically everything Orga wanted to actually accomplish at the end- get as many people to survive and live and laugh happily together and so on.

Mika's big speech was about talking these people out of an impulsively suicidal revenge mission.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Decent ending. Gonna agree with the sentiment that the stuff about democracy coming to Mars anyways didn't really feel earned but I was cool with everything else, particularly with the various character endings, especially Mikazuki's final battle.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

The Calamity War feels more like you'd get Mecha Attack On Titan with the MA situation.
Attack on Titan is secretly a mecha show already though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

Reconguista in G was pretty different.
G-Reco did feel pretty different but even then it still has the final battle take place in the ruins of Jaburo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If anything I think a decent amount of non-Gundam mecha anime are better at being Gundam AU's than the actual AU's are.

Like the original SDF Macross might as well have been a Gundam AU to the point there's a thinly veiled 0079 character with a name change as a part of the cast in Roy Focker, but its still very much its own show with its own ideas and themes that none the less takes influence from Gundam.

• Locked thread