Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I liked Iron-Blooded Orphans a lot. I agree that it kind of fizzles a bit towards the end, but I think that was just because they had to delay some stuff for the second season, and the second season is happening now so It's not a huge problem IMO.

I liked G-Reco too, but it seems to have been pretty divisive online. I don't think I'd give it an unqualified recommendation to someone who wanted to watch a Gundam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh dang, it really is Attack on Titan

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

a kitten posted:

Buddy, you do not want to be raising your hand to Atra even a little.

I loved that scene. There was no dramatic music, no ~tiger aura~, but you still absolutely knew that Mika was completely willing to kill that dude in an instant

Mika is in such a terrible place. He's beating himself up over not being able to help, and his reputation is is separating him from new Tekkadan members, his supposed new family.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

That's not even close to big enough, relative to the Barbatos, to resemble the Dragonslayer.

I'd be up for the metal version of that giant beam saber from 00

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

Since it appears to be difficult for people to resist referencing other Gundam shows despite the rules in place, I have a question: Why do you guys keep mentioning 00 in particular? I haven't seen it. Should I?

Gundam 00 was a Gundam series that had a really good first season and then a lackluster second season. This has happened with other Sunrise-produced mecha shows, like Code Geass and Gundam Build Fighters. Good first season, not-so-good second season. When IBO Season 2 was announced, people were worried that it would follow that trend.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't see Merribit as a love interest for Orga at all. She was a responsible adult, there to remind the audience and Orga himself that Orga, while being a super tactical badass, was also just a kid in way over his head

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol at Eugene getting all indignant about somebody towing a ship to hide it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raxivace posted:

Do we have any confirmation that Season 2 is the end of IBO? Perhaps we'll get the mythical third season of a Gundam show after this...

6 seasons and a movie

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GimmickMan posted:

So let's bring this back to IBO. So far the worst thing I can say about it is that Kudelia is still a very bad case of us being told she's competent offscreen rather than seeing for ourselves her competence at play.

The establishment of the orphanage at and expansion of Sakura farm is directly connected to Kudelia securing favorable export rates for half-metal.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

gyrobot posted:

And how was she able to survive while Gjallarhorn routinely executes people who clamor for economic rights? Without Mika she is just another idealist waiting to be shot

Well, yeah? That was the entire plot of the first season, Kudelia hired Tekkadan to protect her from Gjallarhorn.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

anglachel posted:

And there are complaints with Japanese PTA groups (which i understand have a lot of sway in Japan) against the show as well.

are there really? I know there was one letter to a newspaper complaining about Mika executing a dude early on, is that what you're talking about?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have been confidently told by people on the internet that G-Reco models didn't sell well, except for G-Self, Build Fighters Try models din't sell well, except for the Build Burning, and now IBO models didn't sell well, except for the Barbatos.

Maybe Bandai needs to lower their sales expectations for side character models!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

I remained disappointed Gundam-san wasn't the show I wanted it to be.

You wanted it to be good?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am really excited to see a Mobile Armor on the protagonist side.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raxivace posted:

I hope there's less incest than in Scarface (Both versions).

They're all orphans, how could there be incest?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goddamn, that moment before Orga realized why Mika hates peeling fruit now.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really hope McGillis doesn't know Gaelio is still alive, and Gaelio actually manages to gently caress up his plans. Things have been all according to keikaku too long for McGillis, I want his downfall to come from something he never saw coming

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I never saw Monster.

But now that you mention it, Charlize Theron would make a pretty good live-action McGillis.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The real enemy is poverty

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Takaki wasn't the only one puling endless death flags out of his mouth like a clown this epsiode

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zebulon posted:

The Mr. Burns Defense, I see.

I kind of suspect Mika is going to drop in the support craft like on Mars. After all, they were just told they couldn't LAND anywhere. Nothing against orbital dropping the Barbatos and Gusion with some of the Shidens.

Orga just made an alliance with McGillis. I am super interested to see what Mika does if he lands in the middle of a fight between McGillis and Earth Tekkadan

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lemon-Lime posted:

I like that the show is continuing the whole "Tekkadan are irrelevant pawns" thing, too. Rustal and Galan don't care about Tekkadan in the least, they're just useful tools to employ against McGillis.

I wonder if "what is Tekkadan" is going to be a theme this season. They aren't just a group of scrappy kids anymore. They had to hire a stranger for their Earth Branch, they're gonna have to hire a whole lot more strangers to run that mine. Orga's goal of allowing all the Tekkadan kids to have non-miserable lives is going to require Tekkadan to expand way beyond the happy little family it was in season 1

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I loved the scene where McGillis said King of Mars and Orga couldn't form sentences

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Overlord K posted:

I love how McGillis brought his dumb mask along to wear for the drive but took it off once he was actually inside. :allears:

It was so nobody saw McGillis entering the building

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gridlocked posted:

Also on this recent episode do we think that Masked Mans comment that the special person who was "loyal and all that" in his life is "close to him" is implying that maybe he's got PARTS of Ein in his suit?

I really hope the masked man spends the rest of the show giving confusing parables that the blonde girl pretends to understand

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That Shiden Unicorn looks pretty cool

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If the masked guy is Gaelio, McGillis is essentially bulletproof with Gaelio's sister onhand to threaten.

Gaelio is on a quest for revenge, those don't tend to be merciful towards bystanders.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tekkadan's Mobile Armor is really weird looking

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cao Ni Ma posted:

And it all loving works. Like everything seems to tie in, even the shows aestethics work with the twist. When in the first season it was all about the knights fighting to protect the princess, in the past it was about the knights fighting loving laser spewing robot dragons

Your standing in the Seven Stars was determined by how many monsters you slew. That's badass.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This has made me a lot more interested in the Calamity War. What was the point of the Mobile Armors?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn't the original explanation of all the melee weapons and traditional firearms that all Mobile Suits have anti-beam weapon armor?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

AradoBalanga posted:

https://twitter.com/kyabosean
Have the artist's Twitter account (also contains link to their Pixv account, too).

That dude has some interesting reinterpretations of some of the female character designs

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Volume 3 of the IBO manga has a badass cover

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Midjack posted:

Sure, it probably was since the Gundam frames all seem to have it but it probably wasn't as common back then.

The Gundams were the first Mobile Suits, and all non-Gundam Mobile Suits came after, right? So, you are right that there were no non-Gundam MS with nano-laminate armor during the Calamity War.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

I think the "literally all beam weapons ever are worthless, IBO is the STRONGEST!" is silly. It's impossible to say what precisely level it could stand up to without melting. We already know that Nanolaminate Armor can be melted by napalm for example.

And almost every universe has a different explanation for "beam" weapons. Beams made of GN particles or Minovsky particles work on completely different principles than the beam weapons from Age or Wing

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why are we even trying to compare the relative power of robots from multiple universes operating on completely different technology?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lemon-Lime posted:

Gundams don't have AV systems. The entire AV discussion has nothing to do with the age of Gjallarhorn's founders.

Yeah they did. The Gundams and the AV system were both created to fight Mobile Armors

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol at Yamagi being all professional while sitting in Shino's lap.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hunt11 posted:

An important part of this episode was Orga getting a good look at just how messed up his relationship with Mika is.

And Mika going against Orga's orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adel posted:

This is what I'm thinking as well and I hope it goes in this direction, but the logistics make it kinda tricky; how would they have descendents if they were stuck in their Gundams as life support after the war, invite a nice lady/guy into the cockpit for five minutes? And I still think the founders were kids themselves at the time, so that thought gets real uncomfortable real fast.

What makes the most sense to me is that, in this scenario, the Seven Star families aren't direct descendants.

Yeah, it would make sense if the original Families were "families" like Tekkadan. They only became hereditary things afterwards in order to keep power centralized

• Locked thread