Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I love how stuff that's standard in other Gundam shows is game changing upgrades in IBO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Argas posted:

They just need a really long extension cord hooked up to Barbatos' AV system.

I think if a happy ending for Mika is possible it's gonna be something like that. It'll be like the start of the series where the Barbatos was just used as a generator and Mika would sneak in there because it was warm. A warehouse on the farm with the disassembled Barbatos powering Mika via a long cable. He can't leave the Barbatos ever, but maybe there's some potted plants showing Mika is still doing the experiments from the beginning of the first season

also, fourthing how great Atra and Kudelia's relationship is

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apparently Ride has some uh, "interesting" politics

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

Part of the thing that was 'cool and different' about Season 1 is that it had real meaningful long-term consequences to the violence and if someone got their poo poo wrecked in battle it left them at best maimed at and at worst dead. Even then it mostly just applied to the villains but it earned the benefit of the doubt until the end of Season 1 where the undid that.

Except for the main character getting permanently disabled

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tae posted:

At least G-reco had some fans. Who does IBO appeal to? Not the japanese and judging by the toonami thread, not the americans either.

IBO appeals to me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Psycho Landlord posted:

We just had a named character horribly crushed inside their suit in an incredibly tragic and pointless fashion in a conflict that killed several other members of Tekkadan like four or five episodes ago which directly contributed to another named character who had been around since episode one leaving Tekkadan entirely. But people are ignoring this entirely because they seem incredibly upset that Lafter and Shino are still alive. Like, I get it, I thought Edmonton fell a bit flat too, but these complaints are getting ridiculous because they're flat ignoring poo poo that is clearly still happening in the show.

The fact that Tekkadan got out of the battle in Edmonton unscathed is important because it sets up where they are and how overconfident they are at the beginning of Season 2. I get thinking it was kinda weak while you were watching Season 1, but yeah,I don't think it's a reasonable criticism anymore.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zebulon posted:

Is the Naze hate because they can't figure out the Turbines seen to pretty much just Tekkadan, "Harem" edition and that the whole thing is probably just a protection scheme to keep them from being exploited from assholes in Teiwaz or elsewhere? Gives me the same impression as Orga picking up strays in the Brewers arc.

If Naze isn't loving his wives, them girls are having a suspicious number of virgin births.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zebulon posted:

poo poo. I forgot about that. I had it in my head there was only the one baby and assumed it was his second in command's. Were there more shown/mentioned?

In episode 8, there are 5 babies on board the Turbines ship, Naze says they're all his from different mothers, and Lafter says the same thing later. They also talk about older children who are at school on Earth

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's a good analysis. In the Hashmal fight, Mika ignored Orga's orders not to fight, but Orga obeyed Mika's orders not to fight. Orga suggested that he could go out in his new custom Shiden and Mika completely shot that idea down.

Mika made a decision years ago to follow Orga to the better world, and now both of them are trapped by that. Mika refuses to stop being a weapon, and Orga can't stop finding bigger things for Mika to slay

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looks like Barbatos is getting a new form

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Atra, if you want to have a baby with a guy, talking about babies is not the way to go about it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lemon-Lime posted:

I really wish they'd kept past-Amida's design for the present-day one, instead of the trash she wears. :v:

So dashing. :swoon:

Her current design implies that she's more comfortable with both her femininity and her scars. In the flashback where she's wearing the more masculine(or at least gender-neutral) clothes, she says that people usually don't hire her when they find out she's a woman, and she apologizes for her scars. Now she flaunts both her scars and the fact that she's a woman

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a Spinner Rodi painted pink. You remember, the worker-suits that got slaughtered en masse at Dort? Just in case we needed a little reminder of how hardcore Amida actually is.

It's a pink Spinner Rodi with a headspike. The spike is just sticking out the back

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want Lafter to join Tekkadan so we get to see a Tekkadan wedding

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is that a euphemism for a funeral?

No, we've already seen a Tekkadan funeral. i think it would be fun to see the kids try to throw a wedding, which doesn't seem like the sort of thing any of them would have much experience with

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Since when does Mika think eating meat is good?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

paragon1 posted:

When has Mika ever thought eating meat is bad? Dude's not going to be averse to a ham sandwich just because he can't get pork most of the time.

There was a whole thing in the first season where Tekkadan got a fancy fish and they were grossed out at the concept of eating it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

Mika at full power is effectively a berserker. He relies entirely on the fact he is faster and more ruthless than his enemies to win and in fact his full-throttle attack on the MA involves basically getting torn apart and kind of getting lucky that it wasn't a double-KO. He's scary but that scariness involves the fact that he's superior to his opponents who largely are inept and useless pilots. McGillis isn't an untalented pilot and has shown himself smart enough to take advantage of enemy weaknesses.

Like yeah, Mika is scary and talented but as far as pure piloting skill goes he isn't that good a pilot. (Though obviously he isn't crappy either.) He's just someone who is both incredibly self-destructive and incredibly ruthless and that puts him over the edge because nobody can really overcome his brute force approach to things, especially with his A-V system and Gundam amplifying him.

Yeah, Mika has never fought someone who had a plan specifically to defeat Mika.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

Mika did in fact fight someone who was less talented than McGillis and who none the less pushed him probably harder than anyone else in the series did just by actually going in with a real plan, yes.

Mika is absolutely a talented pilot but he has explicit weaknesses and (like most Gundam characters) relies on his technological advantage to cover up for 'em.

oh yeah, I forgotten that he almost got beat early in season 1 a couple times. When they used the wire claws on the Schwalbe Graze to limit his mobility, and when Lafter was in a suit that gave her an advantage in mobility, right?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Couldn't resist.

I like the Barbatos Lupus better, just because it looked like a logical evolution of the original Barbatos with the cannon forearm-mounts (keeps Mika's hands free to hold big smashy weapons while not leaving him entirely close-range most of the time). Plus it's a shame to see the Tekkadan shoulders go. Any idea what the things on the arms do? My guess is extendo-arms, personally.

My money's on pop-out guns, like the Alex

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Also something posted in reddit

Those colors are not what I expected, but it definitely fits McG.

And Rexs back attachment seems to be an extendo tail from the Hashmal

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The oversized arms, legs and the tail really does make the lupus rex look like a loving animal in gundam form

So we got a knightly, winged Gundam going up against a spiky monster

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

NotALizardman posted:

Wow Iok's gone from incompetent buffoon to massive piece of poo poo real quick.

That's what makes him such a well done character. He's introduced as another Carta, basically. Naive, sheltered, but probably not a bad guy. But over the course of the show, we realize that he's not just naive, he's stupid. And then, he's not just stupid, he's dangerous. And now this. The show keeps setting up the audience to have increasingly lower expectations for Iok, and Iok keeps diving below them. It makes him so hateable.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kuroyama posted:

It's one of those things that aren't officially stated to be the case, but everyone from the production crew to the fans know the truth.

Didn't the producer officially state that to be the case?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Atra just added something to her Amazon wishlist

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
OK, seriously, what the gently caress is the point of this?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's the blade tail from the mobile armor. It's so he can gently caress up people hands free.

I meant the little arms coming off the elbows

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

Jasley, while certainly somewhat cartoonishly over the top, introduces the strain of ruthless self-interest that Teiwaz has been totally without up to this point, which made the organization feel less like the Space Mafia and more of a magical place where the main characters go to get anything they happen to need at the moment. Jasley is a huge dickhole who is eager to gently caress everyone over he needs to for self-advancement, and he goes about in underhanded, dirty, and merciless ways like you'd think a powerful criminal boss would. He honestly behaves like I had originally expected McMurdo to behave before it became apparent that McMurdo was just going to be The Nice Grandpa.

What I like about Jasley is that at first he seemed content to just bitch about Naze and Tekkadan and try to undermine them behind the scenes. He thinks an all-woman group is a joke, he thinks the Tekkadan kids are gutter trash, and he thinks the way Old Man McMurdo treats those groups proves that he's getting soft. All of that is there from his first scene, but he's not cacklingly evil about it. He just bitches about it.

It's not until Tekkadan decides to become the King of Mars that he switches to actively trying to get them killed. And he has totally understandable reasons, if the Turbines/Tekkadan side becomes dominant in Teiwaz, Jasley is hosed.

Teiwaz was multiple groups held together by McMurdo, but Tekkadan hosed it all up.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Apprentice Dick posted:

Carta was recruiting guys that reminded her of McGillis. They were a stand in because she couldn't have the real thing.

that's one interpretation. The better interpretation is that Carta just lusts after young blonde men generally.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Apprentice Dick posted:

I didn't think Hush would be using the new style Turbines suit, I assumed Azee would be in it. Also McMurdo telling Jasley he isn't as smart as he thinks he is was so good.

Nobody from the Turbines can fight, unless they wanna give up the game about them being a supposedly legit transport company.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
And now the Barbatos feels more natural to Mika than his human body

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That certainly adds some context to Mcgillis' relationship with his fiance.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah it's kind of hard to know who to root for. Currently Gaelio is winning.

Tekkadan's mad dash towards self destruction and McGillis' desire to become the most powerful person so no one can hurt him again aren't exactly laudable, but Gaelio is fighting to uphold the slave-owning, child-raping status quo.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well no Iznario was just an rear end in a top hat and he is in exile now. Galio had no love for stuff like that ether.

The problem isn't one bad dude, Gjallarhorn is corrupt and horrible from top to bottom.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kuroyama posted:

A lot more of Gjallahorn than you think can probably be salvaged for the new era.

Off of earth, slavery and child soldiers are common. Pirates and criminals have free reign, and are only challenged by Gjallarhorn when there's a political reason. On Earth, powerful Gjallarhorn members visit child brothels. The entire solar system suffers from severe inequality, brutally enforced by Gjallarhorn. The only good thing Gjallarhorn does is prevent war between the major economic blocks, and they do that solely through threat of force. The entire organization is rife with incompetence and corruption. It exists solely to ensure it's own future existence.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

They were pretty well-armed, though. It wasn't a Dort-style pre-prepared slaughter. I'd place putting down that kind of rebellion as morally neutral.

Putting down an uprising against an unjust system is not morally neutral

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Last I checked yeah it kind of is. Gjallerhorns whole thing is keeping order. So rebels are supposed to be put knocked down.

Where did you check?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kudelia shows up at the end with a massive army of jury-rigged industrial MS. She's spent the entire season meeting with unions and guilds and is now the leader of a great Worker's Revolution that crushes Gjallarhorn and Tekkadan and creates a thousand year Marxist paradise.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

I can only hope.

WTF? Shino can't die until Yamagi gets to kiss him.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Boy, I bet Rustal is pretty happy that he had a bunch of pilots with Dainsleif experience.

I hope you "not enough people died in season 1" people are happy now. Is your bloodlust sated yet?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Droyer posted:

I don't understand why people keep saying this. Out of all the Gundams in the show this has only been true for the Kimaris.

The Seven Stars are all families descended from Gundam pilots. It wasn't presented as unusual or exceptional that the Bauduins still had their Gundam, so I think it's reasonable to assume that the other families still have their Gundams too.

• Locked thread