Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Argas posted:

Who knows, maybe Kudelia comes in to save the day, forcing both sides to stand down before the might of her ragtag fleet made from the combined forces of Teiwaz and all the militaries of Earth.

I said it before, but with the Dort uprising and the uprising Gaelio put down this season, I think they've laid enough groundwork for it to not be total a Deus ex Machina if Kudelia shows up leading a Glorious Worker's Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shino didn't think Yamagi was weird for liking guys, he thought Yamagi was weird for liking him.

Nobody in Tekkadan has good self esteem :(

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The dude can be a monster and not want other people to also be monsters.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The show took pains to show the Flauros specifically not completely destroyed, so it's definitely gonna come back in some way

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phobophilia posted:

Orga forgets that the crown lies heavy on the King, should that eventuality come to pass, he will need to spend more lives to defend his throne.

Orga very clearly has no idea what "King of Mars" means.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ethiser posted:

The Barbatos was also just a barebones generic Gundam when the series started and I haven't seen anything showing it having some sort of gimmick during the Calamity War.

It had been so stripped down it didn't even have shoulder armor. If it actually had some built-in weapons, they would've been lost or sold by CGS years before the show started. The two Gundams that we can assume were totally unfucked with since the Calamity War, the Flauros and the Bael, both have built-in weapons.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

The Barabtos 4th Form was supposedly rebuilt to it's Calamity War specs, wasn't it?

Argas posted:

Probably just means actually repaired and tuned it back to up CW specs, rather than literally being a restoration of its CW loadout.

The Gundam wiki, based off a translation posted on some forum by some dude, says that the 4th form was the Barbatos returned to it's original appearance and close to it's original specifications. If that's accurate, it leaves enough wiggle room that at some point down the line they can release a "Calamaity War Ver." with a shoulder gun or something

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Midjack posted:

Besides outing himself as a kid fucker, but that may be okay for the aristocracy of the world.

In McGillis's flashbacks, the child brothel was a fancy mansion with butlers and poo poo. They were catering to a wealthy clientele.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Atra is not going to die in childbirth. That would be retardedly grimdark

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Artum posted:

Given Mika really doesnt have much of a life when he's not tethered to a large extremely noticeable death machine I'm somewhat skeptical of him surviving events.

I'm pretty sure he's gonna die, but I think I'd be satisfied if he died to protect Atra and their unborn child instead dying following Orga's orders.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

Given that the Mars Branch is still fence sitting, if McGillis manages to somehow kill Rustal and throw Arianhrod into disarray it's entirely possible that the Mars Branch would throw in behind him again and then McGillis is back on track to domination. It's a very slim chance, but it's no slimmer than Tekkadan's "sneak off to Earth to get our IDs scrubbed" plan.

If McGillis somehow defeats Rustal, that doesn't change the fact that he lost most of his fighting force a few episodes ago to Rustal's Dansleifs. The fence-sitters were waiting to see who would win, if MCGillis defeats Rustal at this point, it's the fence-sitters who win.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think people have been underestimating Mika. From the beginning, it has always been Mika's choice to rely on Orga. And he's gone against Orga's orders before. Mika is smart and practical. It's like Mika himself said in the cockpit, he knows what Orga's orders would've been.

Mika going catatonic or flipping out and getting himself killed for revenge would've been far more out of character than what he did this episode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I'm not thrilled by it. McGillis ended up being a lot more of a boring character than I expected. He's not precisely boring but for someone who they spend the entire series building up he's super one-note and had very very little to actually do with Tekkadan on a character level. He's basically just there for Gaelio's plot which is fine but leaves him feeling really thin at the end of the day.

I was wrong but as good as his final scene was I think he ended up being a kinda meh character.

Edit: That isn't fair really. Everything with him and Gaelio is good if basically being Char again but with a Garma that survives and is pissed off at him. Everything involving him and Tekkadan is like "oh, okay, this guy just basically coasts along this plot."

I don't know if McGillis is a "good" character, but he was super enjoyable to watch, mainly because of all the stuff that makes him not a good character to you. At least for Gundam fans. Look back through the thread, everyone, myself included, was just waiting for him to betray everyone. Expecting his great plan to be revealed. But instead he was what he was.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

I forgot to mention that but that owned. McGillis being so goddamn proud and happy about how his philosophy was being justified when it was just Rustal going "heh, man, this is a good fight, I wanna watch" is one of the most excellently bittersweet things in the entire series.

I think Rustal told everyone to hold off because he's thinking ahead to the future. When McGillis was alive, Gaelio could be counted on to be motivated solely by revenge. After McGillis died, Gaelio becomes an unknown quantity, politically. McGillis was not getting out of that confrontation alive, but if he killed Gaelio in the process that would just be eliminating a potential future threat to Rustal.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Somebody earlier in the thread predicted the show would have an ending similar to Fang of the Sun Dougram, and drat were they spot-on

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just noticed that Dane works for the same company, presumable Zach too. Also they have a Haro on a desk.

That guy is not shaped like a human

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Overlord K posted:

I'd watch that in a heartbeat if it was animated even half as good as Mika's fight with the one we got

Yeah, it seems perfect for an OVA. Get Sunrise's new light novel factory on the phone, let's make this happen

rudatron posted:

If anything, it'd be a little closer to your standard monster -of-the-week mecha deal, like eva

Presumably though that's be near the end, i assume the mobile armors worked for a while, before they started killing aimlessly/went crazy or whatever

I was imagining it as a Dr. Strangelove situation. MAs were a doomsday device that got unleashed

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wasn't crazy about Iok's death either. He's shown to be so dumb and malleable, he will basically do anything as long as it fits his view of nobility. I wish Rustal had died, and it had been Iok who ended up implementing the reforms to Gjallarhorn.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

Iok's entire character arc is that he's so far up his own rear end that he's completely unable to draw reasonable conclusions or learn from his mistakes. It would be a pretty ridiculous leap for him to go from "the way to honor the sacrifice of my dead men is to murder civilians with illegal superweapons" to "man, the plight of the poor and dispossessed is pretty lovely, let's do something about that". He never got a single scene where he was shown to give an ounce of a poo poo about anyone but himself, Rustal, or his own men.

He's a moron, he only used superweapons because Rustal told him to. If Kudelia was standing in the same room as Iok she could talk him into full communism in half an hour

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

I wish I could.

Honestly, Gundam's completely inability to move away from being a commentary on Gundam is probably the franchise's biggest flaw to me. They keep retreating to safe elements and obviously a lot of writers are frustrated by feeling obligated to do so (or just want to comment on Gundam) and so we keep getting the same trend of either aping the original shows or trying to be a metacommentary on the original shows and in doing so repeating the same basic elements over and over with a vague "what a twist" turn on them. And even if the twist is good (and I think McGillis was handled well) it's just tiresome. Obviously a franchise has to have some similarities to feel like part of the franchise but I think the last Gundam shows to really have their own personalty was like... G Gundam?

Reconguista in G was pretty different.

They should just put Tomino back in charge of Gundam.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Limited edition bluray's gonna come with some interesting art

https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu/status/852824245243494400

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You think if we did a twitter campaign we could get Right Stuf to use that as the cover for the American bluray release?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Psycho Landlord posted:

What the gently caress

yeah I don't remember that happening in the show

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Presumably Julieta wouldn't go 1 on 1 with a MA, she'd have those Dansleif dudes backing her up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtomikKrab posted:

Dainsliefs only give a fighting chance, the mobile armor can always laser beam the launchers and blow them up before they can fire.

That's why Julieta is there, to keep the Mobile Armor busy and set up the shot

• Locked thread