Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Mika always did know how to make an entrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'd be up for the metal version of that giant beam saber from 00

So the 150m Gerbera Strait from Astray, then?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Kill the meat, save the metal.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Mika continuing to just straight up execute people somehow is still funny in a "jesus loving christ!" way. The tension leading up to it was amazing too.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

resurgam40 posted:

I'm getting so many death signals, I don't actually think anyone's going to die in the immediate future. There's so many I feel like they're all bumping into each other, and tripping each other and thus cancel each other out. This is the It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World for death flags.

The Mr. Burns Defense, I see.

I kind of suspect Mika is going to drop in the support craft like on Mars. After all, they were just told they couldn't LAND anywhere. Nothing against orbital dropping the Barbatos and Gusion with some of the Shidens.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Tae posted:

Aerial fights also non existent.

But we did get that sweet orbital re-entry with Mika riding down the defeated hull of one of his enemies as a heat shield.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Gotta admit, thinking on it I think the offer is genuine. He's never really lied to Mika or Orga. He's not above using people, but the people he explicitly used were also part of the system he sought to destroy and rebuild. I don't think it's literally offering Tekkadan rule over Mars, more offering for them to take over its protection and arbitration duties full time. He seemed keen to remind Orga about Kudelia wanting independence, after all. Tekkadan taking over for the Mars branch pretty much leads to defacto Martian independence. Simplifying independence for Mars to "you'd be the ones in charge of it all" works, and appeals to Orga's obsessive need to secure more and more security and power for his family. McGillis has a love for the dramatic, and Orga still thinks in huge, dramatic absolutes.

That and McGillis already said flat out that he wants Tekkadan on his side and when Orga asked about the rewards to outweigh the costs not being enough McGillis said he'd just keep offering more and more until the pros outweigh the cons. Orga showed some doubts over why McGillis is favoring Tekkadan so much, so he said gently caress it and put the ultimate card on the table to remove those doubts. IBO also seems to love playing around with a lot of the traditional tropes for the franchise, so having THE CHAR turn out to be a complete and utter bastard to those of the group he's against while remaining fiercely, if almost irrationally, loyal to the protagonist group of child mercenaries works out. Plus with Lafter falling in love with Akihiro that opens an obvious avenue for her being torn between loyalty to the Turbines and her love of him, along with the anti-Tekkadan elements in Teiwaz that clearly resent their quick rise to power, prominence, and fortune. The "Kings of Mars" thing would also let McGillis bow out and decide the Tekkadan/Teiwaz war isn't his drat problem.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Kanos posted:

I'm not sure that that this is a statement that naturally connects. McGillis's actions in S1 show pretty clearly that his vision of reforming Gjallarhorn includes straight up eliminating the Seven Stars families. No other conclusion makes any sense, because betraying and killing Gaelio and Carta would serve absolutely no other purpose besides to make his own goals more difficult and strip himself of powerful and influential allies who are loyal to him and share his views. Only in the framework "The Seven Stars must be destroyed in order to achieve meaningful reform in Gjallarhorn" does McGillis stabbing Carta and Gaelio in the back make sense, because he took the opportunity to knock them off while they were still vulnerable and unaware of his true intentions to save effort in the long run.

This has been my interpretation. Gaelio only wanted to rebuilt/fix Gjallarhorn from within, while McGillis has made it pretty drat clear his intent is to burn it all down and rebuild it without the baggage of its existing aristocracy. That'd make Gaelio part of the problem and an obstacle, while Carta similarly was so fixated on her position and status that she'd never go for what McGillis thinks is necessary. As I remember he did express some regret over sacrificing his childhood friends for the purposes of that goal, but no real remorse for it. As far as he was concerned one way or another they would have to go along with the rest of the families.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Yeah. I'm going with the interpretation that he's such a sleazy gently caress he's manipulating a literal child over, you know, being a bit TOO much of A Char. Because I think even IBO really doesn't want to go with the alternative. But that's still a very good reminder that he is in fact the sort of sleazy gently caress who's probably planning to manipulate a literal child into doing something to bring about an internal civil war and/or worse. With a pretty good chance of said child dying in the course of it.

I'm not crazy in remembering that the few other times she's shown up it's been pretty clear that she's just a means of consolidating power and he's never showed any signs of doing anything but humoring her for the sake of that power consolidation and keeping the, uh, marriage intact, right?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Kanos posted:

McGillis is definitely just telling Almiria what she wants to hear because she is a useful pawn due to being the heir apparent to the Bauduin family after Gaelio's "death" and also being head over heels for Macky because she's a little girl with a crush on a handsome guy who is nice to her. I don't think you need to worry about McGillis being an actual pedophile.

I mean, he's still a disgusting monster for manipulating a child, but we knew he was a disgusting monster the moment he betrayed and murdered childhood friends in cold blood.

This is my interpretation so far. Nothing we've seen about his character suggests anything but this, but it's still an INCREDIBLY uncomfortable scene to sit through because he's so drat good at manipulating people so seeing it turned on a kid just feels fundamentally horrible. Keep her complacent, keep her useful, keep her willing to follow his suggestions regarding the power of her family's house, etc. I kind of think he's genuinely protective of her, but there's the very good possibility that it'll be like Carta and Gaelio and he only going to remain so until she's no longer useful and fit for disposal. Or who knows, maybe he just really wants her to be happy. Everyone expected Tekkadan to be backstabbed by now after all. Maybe he just figures she's young enough that she's not a lost cause like the rest of the heads of family. Maybe they were going for contrasting Bastard Supreme, McGillis against Mika's irritation with Hush or Naze going a bit cold with Orga?

Man, even just discussing the scene feels awkward. He's such a slimy gently caress that even trying to defend the possibility he's just genuinely trying to keep her happy feels dirty and uncomfortably close to apologia.

jackhunter64 posted:

Pretty sure those suits are the same as the Dawn Horizon pirates, and they had their cockpits in the head. It's grunt kebab for tea tonight.

Looked like they were the same model, yeah.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If When Naze makes good on his promise I could see the Turbines making a suicide revenge run against Tekkadan.

To be honest I think it'd be far more likely for Naze to fall on his sword (or be straight up murdered before he has the chance to on his terms) and for Tekkadan and the remains of the Turbines to team up to go to war against Teiwaz. Orga's loyalty is to Naze, not Teiwaz as a whole. Naze dying for him is pretty much a one-way ticket to "burn it all to the ground" town and I can't really see the rest of the Turbines not wanting in on that.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Tekkadan's Mobile Armor is really weird looking

I kind of like how alien that appears to be.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Droyer posted:

This only makes sense if we assume that the weaponry we've seen them use in the show is the same as the weaponry used 300 years ago. Kimaris aside, all the Barbatos' weapons were either stolen from opponents or built by Teiwaz, and the gusion was (presumably) rebuilt by the brewer's before being rebuilt again by teiwaz.

Barbatos started with one of the gently caress-off huge maces. And they seemed to have several more of them around. The cannon it started using in space is either also from whatever stock they found with it or something they rigged together themselves, not sure which offhand. Given the Gusion as the Brewers had it configured was apparently some sort of massive hack job there's no way of knowing what the hell its original weaponry was like, but that hammer it had might have been part of it given how many other Gundam Frames in this series seem to have them as intended, original equipment. The Ashtaroth or whatever it is from the side-story manga similarly was packing a stupidly huge melee weapon as its original equipment.

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 4, 2016

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Calling bets on the Good Doggy having to warcrime railgun it into a state where Gusion and Barbatos can shank the ever loving poo poo out of it and McGillis having to ask them very nicely to not warcrime with their railguns in the future.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

There hasn't been much talk about the dub, but overall I am a big fan of many of the choices they made in terms of voice direction.

The dub has been wonderful the entire way through. EinBorg sounded wonderfully unhinged, and Mika showing a rare moment of emotion when he outright growled that he was going to kill Carta were two moments in the last few episodes that stood out to me in particular.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Huh. It seems like a bad sign when your mobile suit starts crying blood along with you, Mika.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Midjack posted:

The cutout appeared to be all on the Gundam side. It seemed like they explained this as the Gundams releasing some safety interlocks for maximum performance upon encountering the Mobile Armor, which caused an increase in the rate of data exchange with the pilot over the A-V link, and the A-V link on the Gundams was shutting down abruptly so that the pilot won't suffer a stroke like Mika did in Edmonton.

That seems to be the case. It's not the MA doing anything, purely the Gundam's software reacting to the presence of a MA by going to full power everything and the AV system trying to avoid killing the pilot when that happens, causing what amounts to a system crash due to the conflict.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

I'm kind of expecting Mika to get royally hosed up and McGillis basically obligated to use the full resources of Gjallerhorn's medical teams to try and fix him. Be it out of simple obligation for them helping him or reverence for Mika managing to kill the mobile armor.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Caros posted:

Edit: Also, while going back through the first season, I have to reiterate how satisfying it is to see Ein just get stabbed through the cockpit like a bitch in the middle of his crazed rant. God he is such a trash character.

I love the dub's Ein because he really nails being an unhinged sack of crazy once he's Einborg'd.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Not really sure why some people are determined to hate Naze or bitch that Tekkadan hasn't had some horrific, blatant, catastrophic fall. Is the Naze hate because they can't figure out the Turbines seen to pretty much just Tekkadan, "Harem" edition and that the whole thing is probably just a protection scheme to keep them from being exploited from assholes in Teiwaz or elsewhere? Gives me the same impression as Orga picking up strays in the Brewers arc. Meanwhile they've been making it pretty drat clear that while Tekkadan is militarily holding its own just fine they're completely and utterly in over their head for dealing with any other aspect of what's going on around them at this point. for fucks sake Mika is literally crippling himself and given up hope of being anything other than a weapon of war in the pursuit of a dream that is increasingly unlikely to ever happen because Orga is running head long towards it while having no idea what it truly is.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

If Naze isn't loving his wives, them girls are having a suspicious number of virgin births.

poo poo. I forgot about that. I had it in my head there was only the one baby and assumed it was his second in command's. Were there more shown/mentioned?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

In episode 8, there are 5 babies on board the Turbines ship, Naze says they're all his from different mothers, and Lafter says the same thing later. They also talk about older children who are at school on Earth

Wow I completely blanked on that. Well, okay them. That does put a damper on my interpretation/theory.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Adel posted:

Yeah, I also worry that they'll take back the damage Mika's done to himself. I'm hesitantly optimistic that they won't repeat S1's toothless ending just because they don't have another season to worry about, but who knows. Maybe Mika will become the show's newtype equivalent and that'll heal him to full or some other bullshit :v:

I'd accept Mika getting a robo body, though.

I'd be down with a less hosed up MikaBorg. Or some sort of FMA-esque rejection of Barbatos being what is required to undo the damage.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't want bad things to happen to Mika just because Bad Things Are Good but I do feel that Mika's plot is so heavily focused around tragedy and the damage done to him that undoing it would sort of weaken it. Mika is interesting because he's so hosed up, so abused and his life is so awful that it really drives home that it isn't awesome when he goes blood-crying-super-Gundamjin-mode and in fact it's horrible, hosed up and ruining his life and it really drives home how awful it is to use him as a pilot and what little choice he has as his options are stripped from him.

I suppose I do want to see IBO end as a tragedy not becaue I like tragedies but because the story is so tragic that anything less would feel like a step back from the natural edge.

Mika deserves to have an ending that doesn't involve being a paraplegic murderhobo in my opinion. While the show has been dealing with just how hosed up being a child soldier is, especially one out of desperation or lack of other options, I think it'd be nice to say that being a hosed up, broken child soldier doesn't mean you can't ever have happiness once you have the means to break free of that life. If this requires him to reject Orga and fully acknowledge his hosed up relationship with him all the better. Rejecting Orga and leaving Tekkadan to go be a farmer with Kudelia and Atra is probably the most positive end to this series you could hope for, really.

Belzac posted:

They also say at the end of season 1 that Naze isn't romantically involved with all of his "wives" and that it's their choice to be or not.

That does help things some. Might have been that I remembered that for some reason but forgot the plurality of babies.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Adel posted:

Edit: beaten like Iok

Isn't the main problem with Iok that he hasn't been beaten enough, though?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

He's been beaten enough, problem is no one has left him die yet. It would be sort of cathartic that he screws up one last time and Rustal himself gives the go ahead to leave him because he's been that much of a liability.

The fact he's still alive at all seems to disprove the idea that he's been beaten enough.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

a kitten posted:

Also, holy gently caress the Mika versus Armor fight.

I'm both confused and disappointed by the lack of a Rules of Nature edit of that fight on youtube.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Yay! The vid.me version isn't bad, but having the build up like Lemon-Lime's webm definitely seems to help things. I admittedly didn't expect someone to actually try to throw a version together just because I'd mentioned the lack of one.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though Iok is being stupid with his blame game. It was not Tekkadan's fault his men died.

In this case he literally has no one to blame but himself. It was his stupidity that took him to Mars, it was his stupidity that activated the Hashmal, and it was his stupidity in trying to attack it with a single dinky rear end rifle that led to his men sacrificing themselves just to TRY and keep his dumb rear end alive. Which they still almost failed to do because of how god drat stupid he is.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If anything happens to the turbines you can bet your rear end that McGillis is going to say "You know who caused this, yep that idiot Iok" and next thing we are going to see is Barbatos intimately introducing a blunt object into Iok's cockpit over and over again.

We can only hope Lok meets his end via a Carta-esque bludgeoning that sees him dead by sheer blunt force trauma to the frame and not even the dignity of getting the cockpit block caved in. He deserves it far more than she ever did.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Tae posted:

Iok is voiced by the guy that dubs Joffrey for japanese game of thrones. Huh.

Oddly appropriate from what I know of Game of Thrones and Joffrey in particular.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Probably just an easier mounting system for carrying extra equipment. We've also already seen Mika use the subarms on the back of the suit, the ones in those white pods beside the tail, to cave in at least one cockpit block. Having extra arms for mounting equipment and giving Mika new and strange ways to murder unsuspecting fools seems justification enough.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

I appreciate how devoted Mika is to using every part of his MS for murders. While some pilots just pick one move and use it over and over, Mikazuki keeps you on your toes. Will he kill you with a gun? A mace? A kali-ma special? There's no way to know until he tries.

Never a dull moment.

I look forward to how Mika ends up using the pilebunkers the Lupus Rex apparently has in its heels. You know that'll be a fun one.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

It's actually pretty simple. As we all know, the Barbatos's backpack has until now been a thruster flanked by two hard points for storing weapons (which are mounted on hidden sub-arms to easily place the weapons in the suit's hands). On the Rex, though, that's changed - the backpack is now a wire-guided, rocket-propelled stinger flanked by a pair of thrusters. That means that the mace is now stowed like this:

Notice how there are no longer any convenient sub-arms with which to draw it. That's where the ones mounted in the forearms come in.

That's actually point I'd missed. The subarms on the back DO seem to be gone now. The tail replaced the centerline thruster, and there now seems to be a pair to either side of it. So it'd need the subarms on the arms now, yeah. Good catch.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Pretty sure McGillis or Gaelio straight up makes a joke about the blatant stand-ins for him at one point.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Seconding that McMurdo's "did you really think I didn't know what you were doing, you loving worm?" moment with Jasley was wonderful after all his crowing about how McMurdo was old, weak, and spineless and he'd easily be able to replace him. That on top of him cleanly severing Tekkadan to do their own thing while not being part of Teiwaz, but it clearly wasn't a bad break. If anything even in their parting Tekkadan is doing him a favor, and him them. Tekkadan got revenge, McMurdo got rid of a backstabbing little poo poo. Win win.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

It's, uh.

It's pretty loving easy to see why McGillis wants to burn that poo poo to the ground rather than try to salvage it, now.

Jesus christ.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh wow, yeah. I see the purple rod sticking through on the left side of the lance now. There's a reeeeal good chance that's exactly what it is.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Didn't Tomino claim he just plain forgot the G-Arcane had a flight mode at all?

They've been pretty good about signposting and utilizing abilities of their mobile suits in this.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

e-different topic

Earth regulation fleet nearly completely destroyed,the outer fleet two weeks away from earth and fully militarized power blocks back in earth with their thumbs up their asses. It wouldn't surprise me if they do a coup of their own and depose the remaining seven stars back in earth.

I'd laugh if season 2 ends on Rustal having to ally with what remains of Tekkadan at the end of season 2 just to go back and deal with that, enter season 3.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Vote for Mika being fully absorbed by Barbatos and it getting a twin cockpit with Atra and Kudelia both piloting it via Ein-style Pseudo-AV with Mika as the intermediary for season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

Eugene is going to die doing something that was almost really cool.

I'd place bets on using the Isarugi or whatever their remaining ship is named as a shield protecting the re-entry shuttle, if that's going to happen.

• Locked thread