Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

BSam posted:

Anyone going to watch that Channel Zero show? Apparently it's based on the creepypastas and all that stuff.

I've gotten pretty hooked by the first episode. The acting and dialogue are... bad, but then they'll abruptly jump to being pretty decent at key moments, then back to weird and stilted. I'm kind of thinking its intentional? It does make some of the abrupt poo poo twice as abrupt, which might be the goal. I don't know how well this will hold out (I think they're only doing like six episodes?), but the first episode was definitely pretty tense and had me WTFing pretty hard. I'll probably be sticking with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I've been liking Timeless. It has a goofy, Alias kind of vibe to it, but it also feels very Kripke, and I am a sucker for time travel shows. We don't have a thread for it yet, do we?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I've been liking Timeless. It has a goofy, Alias kind of vibe to it, but it also feels very Kripke, and I am a sucker for time travel shows. We don't have a thread for it yet, do we?

I've determined what's wrong with it, though. It focuses too much on the "era of the week" and whatever historical figure they choose to zone in on, instead of being a bit less episodic and character focused. Also the people playing Lucy and Wyatt are just not leads. Rufus is the one people complained about the most in this thread, but I actually think he's the only interesting one. I think it's doing okay enough that it'll survive to the end of the first season and die, which is fine. I mean, what are they going to do when they run out of the basic American history tropes for them to visit, anyway?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Timeless is dumb fun. I wouldn't watch it except my youngest daughter loves it and so I tag along.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

wormil posted:

Timeless is dumb fun. I wouldn't watch it except my youngest daughter loves it and so I tag along.

I'm going to quit at the end of the season unless it gets renewed or improves vastly, but it's a good premise with some bad acting and bad character work. If the premise is appealing enough, it works. I'm a dumb baby who yelled "Didn't you learn from what happened to her!! That's not how being a time orphan works!" at my screen when Dead Wife Man tried to correct his life, despite the fact that he'd already seen Protagonist Lady accidentally do that with her mother and experience none of the emotional rewards.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm liking Timeless; I think it's in the same place as the first season of Sleepy Hollow was where it was silly and dumb but definitely not boring. I also like that they just flat out gently caress up historical events instead of secretly gently caress up and then find a convoluted explanation as to how time corrected itself such that it's indistinguishable from the real present.

Also I really wish Lucy's retconned-in fiancee was the retconned-out fiancee of Raimy from Frequency.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
We were speculating how fun it would have been if the "screwed up" timeline was what we know about history.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I've gotten pretty hooked by the first episode. The acting and dialogue are... bad, but then they'll abruptly jump to being pretty decent at key moments, then back to weird and stilted. I'm kind of thinking its intentional? It does make some of the abrupt poo poo twice as abrupt, which might be the goal. I don't know how well this will hold out (I think they're only doing like six episodes?), but the first episode was definitely pretty tense and had me WTFing pretty hard. I'll probably be sticking with it.

The show is really reminding me of a Silent Hill game and I think this is why. It just kinda has these moments of uncanniness that somewhat enhance the tension. Also, the practical suits/effects are really freaky. If enough people are watching, I might make a thread for it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

The show is really reminding me of a Silent Hill game and I think this is why. It just kinda has these moments of uncanniness that somewhat enhance the tension. Also, the practical suits/effects are really freaky. If enough people are watching, I might make a thread for it.

I was thinking about doing it but I'm not confident in my thread making skills. I really love it and would love a place to talk about about it here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794885

Channel Zero thread.

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012
Timeless feels like it has a ton of network interference. Like a suit said "we'll greenlight this, but it has to be lighter and episodical." Kinda like Fringe in S1. But I don't know how accurate this is because my main issue with Supernatural back in the day was how Monster of the Week it was so maybe that's just Kripke's thing. It's fun, but frustrating because it could be so much better. Maybe if just Shawn Ryan was in charge.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lilikoi posted:

Timeless feels like it has a ton of network interference. Like a suit said "we'll greenlight this, but it has to be lighter and episodical." Kinda like Fringe in S1. But I don't know how accurate this is because my main issue with Supernatural back in the day was how Monster of the Week it was so maybe that's just Kripke's thing. It's fun, but frustrating because it could be so much better. Maybe if just Shawn Ryan was in charge.

Yeah... like, in fact, Supernatural's awkward points, I think, tend to be when it's a little less monster-of-the-week, although that is more true after Kripke departed the show.

Compared to Timeless, I do think Sam and Dean had more identifiable characters than the cast. The casting and characterization of the three main characters is definitely the show's weakness, and it might be because the show is so distracted by some of the side characters of history that it ends up feeling almost more like an anthology show. We might need a little less humanity in the historical characters to open some time before and after the time travel sequences to learn more about our character's lives.

The only reason I'm watching it is because I'm interested in the whole "Time Orphan" thing, with people living in timelines that are no longer their own, and the "Do we...... have the right to change history???" stuff is already wearing really thin.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Travelers seems to be a lot better time traveling show compared to Timeless.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jusupov posted:

Travelers seems to be a lot better time traveling show compared to Timeless.

Not difficult. Also it has a cooler premise that allows it to not rely on lovely effects and seems more character driven. It's more akin to 12 Monkeys.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really, really don't like 12 Monkeys but am otherwise intrigued.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Bicyclops posted:

I really, really don't like 12 Monkeys but am otherwise intrigued.

I feel sorry for you

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jusupov posted:

I feel sorry for you

It's really poorly executed and for some reason people think its execution elevates it above a thoroughly mediocre script when, in fact, both Brad Pitt and the cinematography are just grating, when a normal presentation could have at least made it a fun popcorn movie.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Bicyclops posted:

It's really poorly executed and for some reason people think its execution elevates it above a thoroughly mediocre script when, in fact, both Brad Pitt and the cinematography are just grating, when a normal presentation could have at least made it a fun popcorn movie.

Oh whoa, i thought you were talking about the tv show which I wasn't a huge fan of, the movie I absolutely loved. I couldn't really get into the tv show because I thought it paled in comparison to the movie.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I don't remember the movie but I thought you were talking about the tv show, which was good and weird

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm talking about the movie, I will probably give the TV show a try.

x66Shadow66x
Aug 27, 2004

Don't worry, I'm fine. Charlie's fine by the way.
12 monkeys is my favorite show that has time travel because it actually seems to have a plan. I think a lot of the flak it gets is from people who only watched the first few episodes because it does take some world building to get going. In my opinion, it is one of the most coherent and fun scifi shows in years. I’d even say it’s better than the movie.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
S1 of 12 Monkeys was awesome. S2 was a step down but still lots of fun.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I like Man With A Plan because of its transition gimmick with architect drawings makes it really easy to get through the DVR fast. Matt LeBlanc is still funny, too. Maybe the kids will get interesting. It also made me really curious to see the original pilot with Jenna Fischer that people described as "regressive for the 1950's".

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Where is the Rectify thread!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

try the new taco place posted:

I like Man With A Plan because of its transition gimmick with architect drawings makes it really easy to get through the DVR fast. Matt LeBlanc is still funny, too. Maybe the kids will get interesting. It also made me really curious to see the original pilot with Jenna Fischer that people described as "regressive for the 1950's".

Regressive? The comedy doesn't work at all if you don't have characters with lovely outdated attitudes, that's where the comedy comes from.

I thought the Great Indoors was decent because it had Stephen Fry and a bear cub so it's obviously the best new sitcom of the year.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Pure Genius made me want to push the lead guy down a tall flight of stairs before the title card even came up.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Travelers is very good as is Falling Water which had a glacially slow set up but as of the end of episode 3 is starting to payoff.

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012
So I saw Timeless got a full season order, but this Alamo episode was so relentlessly terrible that I'm dropping the show. It just feels like a kids show. Like Wishbone with History, except a dog was more charming than those characters.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lilikoi posted:

So I saw Timeless got a full season order, but this Alamo episode was so relentlessly terrible that I'm dropping the show. It just feels like a kids show. Like Wishbone with History, except a dog was more charming than those characters.

Yea the Alamo episode was a new level of bad, even for Timeless.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It didn't even get a full season order -- it got an order for an additional 3 episodes, bringing it to a 16 episode season. They're just using it as stocking filler, so they can advertise Luc Bresson's new show in the Spring.

I don't particularly mind it, particularly given how much these shows get hosed with by network suits in the early going. It nearly always takes a half season for everything to shake out. Often a whole season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone watch Goliath? I'm hearing good things.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Anyone watch Goliath? I'm hearing good things.

I really enjoyed it. BBT was great as a flawed character trying to do right, and the overall pace was much faster than many of the current character driven serial shows.

Did anyone else catch Stan Against Evil last night? It is very similar in tone to the current Evil Dead series, except instead of Ash as the lead, it has Dr. Cox from scrubs, and I don't just mean the actor who played Dr. Cox, it is practically the same character transposed into the Evil dead world. A very enjoyable first episode.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Timeless the reason you don't like it, is because you don't want to meet the people you read about in history class.

You also don't want to bond with the people you work directly with and would rather be alone.

The Alamo episode grew on me. Sappy, sure. But, that's network tv for yah.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm liking Timeless and enjoyed The Alamo episode. I'm perfectly okay with admitting it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

wormil posted:

I'm liking Timeless and enjoyed The Alamo episode. I'm perfectly okay with admitting it.

Me too. It's enjoyable 90s syndication style fun.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Fenris13 posted:

I really enjoyed it. BBT was great as a flawed character trying to do right, and the overall pace was much faster than many of the current character driven serial shows.

The ending of episode two :stare:

The show isn't loving around.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There doesn't seem to be enough new shows premiering in November to warrant a new thread, I'll keep my eye in case a slew of new stuff gets added to the calendar as it's sometimes behind, and I'll make a new one then.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Falling Water is still trippy as poo poo and is my favorite new show of the season easily.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Falling Water is still trippy as poo poo and is my favorite new show of the season easily.
Keep this up and you guys might talk me into watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Timeless could be pulpy Syfy fare that would work just because of snappy writing and characters, but Wyatt just sucks the air out of everything.

Malcolm Barrett could be doing so much better than this, and I feel like Paterson Joseph is really limited it in what he can do in his role.

• Locked thread