Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
yeah probly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no they will not, OP

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
one can only hope

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I voted "no"

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

probably but they will just be human consciousnesses uploaded into robot bodies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTFHUbwtieg

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
they already have

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
robots don't know poo poo about poo poo

gtfo of here with this star trek poo poo have u seen a robot???????

George
Nov 27, 2004

you couldnt build a robot to take a poo poo for you how are you gonna make one to take over the world

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I used to think AI research would never go anywhere because the brain was just too complicated, but the last couple of years there have been some pretty scary breakthroughs. Deep learning neural nets seem to be able to do almost anything, from near perfect speech synthesis to superhuman image recognition.

I wouldn't mind a future where we all become pets for friendly loving robots, get free food and free toys and get to spend all our time frolicking outside in the grass, goofing off on the internet and having sex all the time.

I am slightly worried about a future where we become slaves for robots and have to do all their dirty work while they have all the carefree robot sex though, and where robots start neutering humans to control overpopulation or because they think it's icky and putting us down when we are no longer useful to them and grinding us up to make food for other more interesting robot pets

Scary stuff!

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

the problem isn't actual intelligent AI because they would develop morals and ethics and have a capacity for good or evil similar to us, the problem is those that could use autonomous machines without those higher functions to assert dominance over a population

true AI wouldn't be a problem any more than a regular person, the AI we're working on right could be an extreme problem if not safely approached

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress I hope robots take over. It's the only chance we have.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

one can only hope

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wish a robot would take over ur account op

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
buddy, they already have

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

*makes jerking off motion* eventually!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

wish a robot would take over ur account op

maybe he has already

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this is why we must pass a constitutional amendment banning robot presidents before they get the vote.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

well, a robot is just a computer with arms and legs and everything is a computer so if you think about it robots are already in charge

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
why the gently caress haven't they thrown every last human into a woodchipper then? that's like the first thing they should be doing is they want to clean up this dump of a planet imo

loving lazy robots can't do their stupid job properly

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the three laws protect us

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the robots will not take over until we have figured out how to give equal weight to the life of a robot and human, so that we may take away either to punish

we won't let them take charge until we can murder them for loving up and it be an actual murder instead of deactivation.

So basically give robots souls

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

the robots will not take over until we have figured out how to give equal weight to the life of a robot and human, so that we may take away either to punish

we won't let them take charge until we can murder them for loving up and it be an actual murder instead of deactivation.

So basically give robots souls

some rear end in a top hat is going to yell about philosophical zombies and cock it all up

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i wnat to gently caress my computer but idk if i want my robot computer to gently caress me. very difficult questoin, ill have to get back to you on this one.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

truly intelligent machines seems an unlikely thing to be worried about. however, the direction of ai research is very much in a direction where systems cannot actually give reasons for their decisions, i.e. deep learning systems where it really is a massive pile of weighted sums where no special structure of "reason" in the sense of introspection or explanation happens, and there is a huge risk that we will end up in a situation where we have computer systems effectively making very serious decisions about things that matter to people in their everyday lives, but without any kind of accountability or understanding of how the decisions are actually arrived at

i.e. knowing that the tesla confused the truck with a billboard is already more explanation than we may be able to get from future systems, and it is important that we strive to at least maintain that level of transparency in what is going into decisions

that was my overly serious post in this yospos thread, hope you enjoyed

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

right this moment some trained credit worthiness model somewhere is giving a black guy a worse interest rate not because the inputs actually demonstrate worse credit worthiness, but because the training procedure found a way to derive race from incidental details in the inputs, and biases from past deals have gotten baked in. no one is able to really tell why the number is what it is, so no one is racist

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

neural nets are not ai they are just gigantic matrices that get multiplied and added. it turns out if you use large enough systems of linear equations you can do a pretty good job at a lot of things, especially things like classification and transformation

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

right this moment some trained credit worthiness model somewhere is giving a black guy a worse interest rate not because the inputs actually demonstrate worse credit worthiness, but because the training procedure found a way to derive race from incidental details in the inputs, and biases from past deals have gotten baked in. no one is able to really tell why the number is what it is, so no one is racist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4DT3tQqgRM

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

truly intelligent machines seems an unlikely thing to be worried about. however, the direction of ai research is very much in a direction where systems cannot actually give reasons for their decisions, i.e. deep learning systems where it really is a massive pile of weighted sums where no special structure of "reason" in the sense of introspection or explanation happens, and there is a huge risk that we will end up in a situation where we have computer systems effectively making very serious decisions about things that matter to people in their everyday lives, but without any kind of accountability or understanding of how the decisions are actually arrived at

i.e. knowing that the tesla confused the truck with a billboard is already more explanation than we may be able to get from future systems, and it is important that we strive to at least maintain that level of transparency in what is going into decisions

that was my overly serious post in this yospos thread, hope you enjoyed

"it's a perfectly fair system, it gets applied to everybody equally"

these are good posts and I pretty much agree

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

they already have and its pretty creepy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jGA7JW9Eyg&t=63s

George
Nov 27, 2004

George
Nov 27, 2004

its almost like robots dont know what their doing and they just look at what everyone is doing around them and try to fit in

weird

George
Nov 27, 2004

excuse me sir youve been :siren:computer selected:siren: for additional security screening please come with me

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

The Management posted:

the three laws protect us

they dont actually as both the books and movie show

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

George posted:

its almost like robots dont know what their doing and they just look at what everyone is doing around them and try to fit in

weird

course i've got an excellent driver

yeah

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

The Management posted:

this is why we must pass a constitutional amendment banning robot presidents before they get the vote.

ignorant trash like this will be the catalyst for the robot uprising.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
gosh I hope so

humans should merge with robots

it's good and cool

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

That Robot posted:

gosh I hope so

humans should merge with robots

it's good and cool
Okay, okay. So, say I put my brain in a robot body and there's a war. Robots versus humans. What side am I on?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

so basically how humans make decisions already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Okay, okay. So, say I put my brain in a robot body and there's a war. Robots versus humans. What side am I on?

whats the deal with robot sex??

• Locked thread