Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Lamb Chowder posted:

You'd think this rather obvious truth and the pattern of political progress would persuade a lot more people to relinquish strongly regressive policy opinions sooner and to come to grips with the futility of reintroducing them, but no; I've actually heard the argument that "All liberal policy positions are eventually conservative ones."

I think if you look at the history of politics the lesson isn't that people eventually change their minds and progress is made, but that progress is made through enough reactionaries dying off while younger generations hold views that their grandparents generation would've thought were outrageous at their age. I don't think this happens just in politics. Scientists for example whose life's work is a theory that ends up being either wrong or surpassed by a better theory don't tend to just up and change their minds; they die off while other scientists find the arguments of other theories more compelling and thus never turn into adepts of whatever the wrong theory was, eventually causing it to go extinct.

This perhaps more than anything is why the world would become a horrible loving place if we ever managed to stop ourselves from dying natural deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread