Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Treating political dissent as mental illness has a long and distinguished history.

woke wedding drone posted:

The history of psychiatry is rooted in society's impetus to control others, and was created in a time when cruelty as a part of that control was seen as necessary and acceptable. The only reason cruelty (which all far-right adherents believe in) is not classified as a mental illness in itself is because of this white male legacy of power and control.

It's possible to hold conservative views and not be mentally ill, but it's not possible to believe that migrants crossing the desert should be denied water and not be mentally ill.

Is being a jerk mental illness? Should the Nuremberg trials really have been therapy sessions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Jenner posted:

I agree that, at the time, abolition was an extreme left position. However, AFAIK, it was not supported by conspiracy theories and paranoia. (I might be wrong?)

Abolitionists rallied against Southern Slave Power, which their opponents said was a conspiracy. Up until about the Civil Rights era statements like this from Kingfisher would still probably be regarded as conspiracy theory to many historians:

The Kingfish posted:

The slave system needed expansion to survive and the South wouldn't have allowed itself to be choked out like that- they would have sent filibusters to Cuba and eventually down through South America.

It does seem like some abolitionists assumed there was a conspiracy killing Northern senators, so they did seem to go into crazy stuff sometimes.

I'm not a historian tho

• Locked thread