Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Calling people insane just because they ethically/politically disagree with you leads to bad places.

Although I'm also skeptical of the concept of sanity as it's being currently applied anyway, so I guess I might be biased a bit. :v:

Nah.

Sethex posted:

Honestly I don't think mental illness is the right title, I like the title 'narrativists' from the thread on decoding authoritarianism.

No.

That thread is an amazing insight into the cultish mentality of a subset of American fringe loons, particularly fundamentalists. PJ's analysis of them is interesting, especially since she used to be one, and has shown itself to be surprisingly accurate in trying to guess what they'll do next. But a lot of goons there creep me the gently caress out with their tendency to blame literally everything they disagree with on the type of mental illness PJ is describing, and also trying to steer PJ out of her fairly limited in scope but insightful and intelligent attempt to find the root of that particular brand of crazy and guide her into talking about their pet topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Extreme0 posted:

Hiter wasn't insane, he was just having a bad day is all.

'Some A are B' does not equal 'all B are A'

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lobsterhead posted:

People really need to stop using mental illness as a synonym for bad/wrong/dangerous.

I agree with you. I'd like to clarify something - to understand the particular use of it in my post, I'd really suggest reading PJ's threads. The one about Accelerated Christian Education even more than her current one, though I suggest bracing for a horrifying read. She is a trans woman who has schizophrenia (for which she is taking proper treatment) and absolutely has experience with both real mental illness and something that the people around her treated as one, despite not being so.

I absolutely will call an A.C.E. indoctrinated mindset "crazy"

• Locked thread