Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
In my previous job I was working primarily with people who were either leaving or on the verge of going into extreme right wing communities and ideologies. Anything from former neo-Nazis who had left that life and were looking for help to teenage kids who were in danger of being radicalised.

A lot of them definitely displayed some degree of mental illness, or had in the past.

It was the kids that eventually caused me to quit, as quite a common theme among them was persecution and injustice they perceived to be directed at their religion and community.

It was kind of difficult to make the case that this wasn't actually the case, so eventually supervisors and such basically told us to follow the 'we know things are bad, but maybe you should give less of a poo poo about what happens?' line of reasoning.

Idk about the success rate of that approach because that combined with the adoption of the counterproductive PREVENT system caused me to quit.

So from my own experience, extreme right wingers may be indeed suffering from some degree of mental illness, but the extent of it varies considerably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Conservatism is very much associated with the kind of feeling that would be conducive to developing some kind of mental illness

The essence of Conservatism is that things are adequate, any change could diminish this, so therefore any change is bad.

Even more extreme examples believe that things are not adequate, and are actually terrible, because things have changed too much and it wasn't like it was back in some vaguely misremembered or even invented past, so therefore it is their duty to get things back to 'how they were'

Going through life with a constant fear of change, longing for the past, deep paranoia about the world and the forces that conspire etc. is probably not going to do a lot for your mental health.

• Locked thread