Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage
Nevermind what's the point.

J Corp fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lyesh posted:

All of those are useless to people who don't have kids and can't work though, which is my loving point.

Lots of poor people have kids.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

computer parts posted:

Lots of poor people have kids.

All A are B but not all B are A etc

Again, "I'm not satisfied with this policy" does not mean "burn it all down motherfuckers". Unless we're talking Trump.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Pollyanna posted:

All A are B but not all B are A etc

Again, "I'm not satisfied with this policy" does not mean "burn it all down motherfuckers". Unless we're talking Trump.

except this thread is about people specifically hating clinton and in that context "isn't going FCN" is maybe a bad reason to hate a person

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

Yeah, a poor white person who finds that every job opportunity has dried up is not someone who is going to be sympathetic to minorities entering america, as that directly impacts their livelihood for trying to find a job.

Not only that, but he's going to oppose affirmative action, anti-discrimination rules, anti-poverty measures whose cutoff is too low for him, anti-poverty measures targeted at vulnerable groups, foreign aid, science research, and more. He neither acknowledges nor cares that anyone else might possibly have worse or more important problems than him - his problems are the only problems that matter, his vague solution (which usually boils down to "make things the way they used to be when things were better") is the only solution that could possibly work, and any government money that is spent on anything else is wasted until he feels like his life is on the right track again.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I find it a little patronizing that blue-collar and often rural whites are considered incapable of anything more than being bigoted retards. I have friends that fit into that description, and all of them are intelligent and don't hold bigoted viewpoints (at least not any more than I've seen from white urban progressives) because I wouldn't be friends with them if they were a bunch of racist/homophobic mongoloids. It's a personal choice to be an ignorant bastard, no matter how "working-class" you are, and we shouldn't forgive it.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I cringe whenever I hear 'progressives' blantantly insult groups of people by calling other people 'basement dwellers' or other epithets.
Even more so the media hyperbole used for describing trump supporters.

It just makes me less sympathetic for their actual causes if they are going to tar entire groups of people so eagerly without realizing how they look in the eyes of someone who knows why some would support trump and why some support hillary..

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

PT6A posted:

because I wouldn't be friends with them if they were a bunch of racist/homophobic mongoloids.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Pharohman777 posted:

I cringe whenever I hear 'progressives' blantantly insult groups

I think a lot of progressives insult groups because they support people that literally call Mexicans rapists. I mean, it's pretty hard being nice to someone that would chuckle in glee to hear about you murdered.

PT6A posted:

I find it a little patronizing that blue-collar and often rural whites are considered incapable of anything more than being bigoted retards. I have friends that fit into that description, and all of them are intelligent and don't hold bigoted viewpoints (at least not any more than I've seen from white urban progressives) because I wouldn't be friends with them if they were a bunch of racist/homophobic mongoloids. It's a personal choice to be an ignorant bastard, no matter how "working-class" you are, and we shouldn't forgive it.

You're Canadian and Canadian conservatives(while vile) are more liberal than our liberalist liberal. Sorry for the call out.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Buckwheat Sings posted:

You're Canadian and Canadian conservatives(while vile) are more liberal than our liberalist liberal. Sorry for the call out.

That's not remotely true.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

That's not remotely true.

About them being vile or being more leftist than our leftists?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
It is weird that so many people empathize with Palestinian support of hezbollah despite their attacks against Israel because hezbollah is the only provider of many necessary services to them, but cannot extend that empathy to people who support a lunatic orange racist because he's promising to make it like it was before all the jobs left their West Virginia mining town.

Like said West Virginia mining towns are essentially doomed and are economically useless, but the best-case messaging from most Democrats is "sorry about the doom, good luck not starving to death".

Sure, trumps promises are all bullshit but at least he's talking to them. All they get from most Dems is condescension from afar.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

White americans are oppressed just like Palestinians by their elite jewish big city overlords and just want freedom.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Buckwheat Sings posted:

About them being vile or being more leftist than our leftists?

The second part.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bushiz posted:

It is weird that so many people empathize with Palestinian support of hezbollah despite their attacks against Israel because hezbollah is the only provider of many necessary services to them, but cannot extend that empathy to people who support a lunatic orange racist because he's promising to make it like it was before all the jobs left their West Virginia mining town.

How many MIRV strikes have the people in that West Virginia mining town suffered through?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Bip Roberts posted:

The second part.

Too many people have accepted the easy lie that the US is fundamentally more conservative in every regard than other places, even in the face of recent developments in Europe.

The US isn't more right wing than left, its more disinterested than anything else, which is another kind of problem entirely.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

How many MIRV strikes have the people in that West Virginia mining town suffered through?

How many MIRV ballistic weapons has Palestine been on the receiving end of? Do you even know what those are?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Baronjutter posted:

White americans are oppressed just like Palestinians by their elite jewish big city overlords and just want freedom.

Can confirm.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

As many as the Palestinians because you probably need to figure out what you're saying before you may down your epic burns.

Also getting into a "you're not facing REAL suffering" smug pile when talking to someone getting thrown out of their house by the bank is again, a really bad look for convincing them you're looking out for them.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I care about *gasp* Palestinians and West Virginians. At the same time, even!

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There's a number of regions in West Virginia that have lower life expectancy then the Palestinian Territories. One county manages to lag by almost a decade.

In light of this, I would support them if they were to launch moonshine powered rockets into any pockets of upper middle class satisfaction they can reach.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know Hillary and the 'woman card' issue?
Hillary and her supporters saying that she should be president because she is a woman has been one of the talking points for her campaign early on.

I was personally taught to never discriminate based on gender or sex, and I believe in a meritocratic system.

But the way Hillary's campaign and her outspoken feminist supporters made her gender a issue is a big problem for people who want gender of a candidate to have no bearing on their selection.

Obama never made his race much of an issue, but his supporters did, and that was fine.

A female leader of a country is not that unique anymore, after Thatcher and other leaders in other countries

Then Hillary associated herself with the latest ghostbusters marketing by appearing on a show with the cast members.
The same ghostbusters where Sony decided to paint any critic of the film a mysognist in a marketing war with critics and dissatisfied fans no matter the reason after the awful inital trailer.

And then all her outspoken feminist supporters saying not liking hillary is mysoginist makes people who dislike both candidates not like her campaign and supporters even more.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i too distrust outspoken feminists

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

A female leader of a country is not that unique anymore, after Thatcher and other leaders in other countries

Oh, word?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I really, REALLY hope you're quoting from somewhere.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The current president of south korea is a woman.

But anyone saying I should vote for Hillary because she will be the first woman president is a person who sounds to me like they want to get a achivement for getting a female president.

It sounds so 'fake' to support hillary only on the grounds that she is a woman, and that caused a ton of online and media slapfights between hillary and bernie feminist supporters that I saw a lot of.

I dislike hillary for everythung that has gone on with the email server fiasco and her handling of it, as well as how shifty she has been in all the recent scandals as new facts emerged.
But the email server issue and how she handled it is why I wont vote for her.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 7, 2016

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pharohman777 posted:

But anyone saying I should vote for Hillary because she will be the first woman president is a person who sounds to me like they want to get a achivement for getting a female president.

It sounds so 'fake' to support hillary only on the grounds that she is a woman, and that caused a ton of online and media slapfights between hillary and bernie feminist supporters that I saw a lot of.

Slay Queen Yasss

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Pharohman777 posted:

How are you posting from the great beyond, Mr. Rodger?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe I don't know any outspoken sexists, but it's actually pretty nice that almost all the hatred I hear towards her is entirely based on her awful politics and voting history rather than any sort of "a woman can't be president!!" sort of poo poo, so at least in that respect it's nice that we've evolved as a culture to that point.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

You know Hillary and the 'woman card' issue?
Hillary and her supporters saying that she should be president because she is a woman has been one of the talking points for her campaign early on.

I was personally taught to never discriminate based on gender or sex, and I believe in a meritocratic system.

The same meritocratic system that penalizes people for being "outspoken feminists" who believe women are unfairly disadvantaged?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

boner confessor posted:

i too distrust outspoken feminists

actually, it's about ethics in pussy grabbing

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe I don't know any outspoken sexists, but it's actually pretty nice that almost all the hatred I hear towards her is entirely based on her awful politics and voting history rather than any sort of "a woman can't be president!!" sort of poo poo, so at least in that respect it's nice that we've evolved as a culture to that point.

Not a whole lot of people openly declared that a black man couldn't be president, either - instead, they concocted a series of elaborate conspiracy theories about how the black man was foreign-born or in league with non-white foreigners. Similarly, when people say that Hillary is "shrill", or too ambitious, or too fake, or too real, or too weak and frail, or doesn't smile enough...those are the same attacks women have faced in the office for decades.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

A lot of the attacks on her politics are also (often thinly) based upon stuff that happened when Bill was president too.

parcs
Nov 20, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Like literally every election the DNC had a favorite candidate. They were discussing if they would make it harder for Sanders. But the same emails heavily imply that they decided against that. She did not steal the nomination and it wasn't even close.
But some people like to present this like she wrote: "My empire is crumbling around me. Help me my loyal servants. Sanders must be stopped at any cost. Kill him off if you have to!" Which brings us back to the hatred of her.

Do you honestly think internal emails from other elections wouldn't show a preference?

If it was ~~just committee things~~ then why did the leaks force the DNC chair along with 3 other officials to resign?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

Similarly, when people say that Hillary is "shrill", or too ambitious, or too fake, or too real, or too weak and frail, or doesn't smile enough...those are the same attacks women have faced in the office for decades.

Too ambitious and too fake are actual reasons for why somone would not like hillary, independient of being a woman.
Hillary is a career politician who got the DNC to rug the primaries in her favor based on the DNC leaks. Then she refuses to do public press confrences for over a year, while trump has done multiple ones.

She always acts like she is hiding something.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Nobody says any other (male) politician is Too Ambitious. Very obviously, Trump is far more ambitious than Hillary is. How did that factor into your analysis?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Pharohman777 posted:

Too ambitious and too fake are actual reasons for why somone would not like hillary, independient of being a woman.
Hillary is a career politician who got the DNC to rug the primaries in her favor based on the DNC leaks. Then she refuses to do public press confrences for over a year, while trump has done multiple ones.

:wow:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Pharohman777 posted:

And to think I got a loving avatar for saying people like this exist

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 8, 2016

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And to think I got a loving avatar for saying people this exist

Obviously that's your puppet alt. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vehementi posted:

Nobody says any other (male) politician is Too Ambitious. Very obviously,

Right, exactly.

Well, except for Rubio. That was the big hit against him in the GOP primary, he wouldn't wait his turn.

And Ted Cruz, too. He was constantly accused of being self-aggrandizing and narcissistic thanks to an outsized ambition.

And Barack Obama was accused of it quite often in 2008 by Clintonworld people, since he was some single term senator daring to challenge the Most Qualified Candidate Ever.

But other than those three very prominent recent examples and the many others I couldn't think of off the top of my head, only Hillary Clinton has ever been accused of being ambitious, thus proving it a misogynist slur. Just like saying that Hillary is dishonest is something only a sexist would say, because the idea that the public would regard a political figure as being less than wholly forthright is a novel concept that can only be explained by Clinton's gender.

I guess I just don't understand why hardcore Hillary fans are so eager to pretend they're following the icon of progressivism. There's nothing inherently wrong in backing a center-right pro-Wall Street pro-war candidate, what's the harm in admitting that's what you're doing?

• Locked thread