Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I worry about over-generalizing but really I think a vast majority of it comes from gender.

Like one of the biggest criticisms people seem to have of her is that she is a single-minded careerist who will do anything to get ahead. If she were a man, people would just say she was ambitious. Hillary Clinton represents one of the realest pushes against gender roles in modern society, and of course people are going to hate that. poo poo bro, you were a GBS mod, you have seen first hand how some people act about politically motivated women. Compare the public persona of Hillary Clinton to every other first lady, and you will see why she gets so much negative feedback.

The only other First Lady you could compare to Hillary is probably Eleanor Roosevelt. Similar background to Clinton prior to becoming First Lady, having worked as an activist leader for the Women's Trade Union League, taught at a prep school, and formed Val-Kill Industries with other women Democratic Party activists, to help local families by giving them the opportunity to produce craft goods; same problems transitioning into the role of First Lady; clashed with other political figures over civil rights, her opposition to the internment of Japanese-American citizens, the implementation of the New Deal, etc. I believe there were also rumors of her being a lesbian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread