Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

HorseLord posted:

do something else

voting stein now, gj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
workers of the world unite (to pay me a stipend)

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Just going to sit here waiting for the perfect candidate, surely 30% of the country won't burn everything down in the meantime.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Bob le Moche posted:

All the candidates are bad *because* everyone just keeps voting for the lesser evil. They have no incentive to be anything else. How is this not super obvious to everyone???

Yeah I saw that Simpsons episode too.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

TomViolence posted:

Criticism of Hillary is not an endorsement of Trump or the republican party.

Gary Johnson will save us.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
People are dumb enough to believe the Republican party's lies, better not vote for Hillary.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

the trump tutelage posted:

A destabilized America may prompt election reform. Otherwise, we get to the terminus of your preference a lot faster. I'm really not persuaded by a "We're as good as you can expect!" argument for American imperialism.
:lol:

quote:

No. However, outside of the Fox News circlejerk, I've noticed a lot of substance being brought forward that is casually dismissed.
Maybe they shouldn't have cried wolf 273 times.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Bob le Moche posted:

If the thread was called "Why won't people vote for Hillary?" I would probably say similar things, though.

I would probably also point out that being a non-voter is highly correlated with poverty, being racialized, being a single mom, a recent immigrant, someone who work unreasonable hours, etc. That a lot of people do not vote because there are actual material obstacles to voting that they do not have the means to overcome. That a lot of people do not feel inspired by Hillary very much, even though they do see her as a better choice than Trump, that they figure she will surely get elected anyway and that they have more pressing, immediate, and urgent concerns in their struggle for survival than overcoming the obstacles that have been put in their way to cast a vote for her.

I would make the argument that when likely non-voters say that Hillary represents business as usual they are actually correct, they are not being ignorant or stupid or extremists, and that shaming non-voters for not voting is probably very limited in its effectiveness, and that victim-blaming never solved anything.

Could be the same obstacles that prevent them from voting for her prevent them from having an informed opinion about her.

nah.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Bob le Moche posted:

I can't wait until Hillary's term is over, and the choice is between an even more neocon democratic candidate than her, and a literal nazi

good thing we can elect the fascist now and save time, then

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Bob le Moche posted:

As an actual leftist I am getting really tired of being proven right by history all the time about all my pessimistic predictions and being dismissed by liberals every step of the way, so smug in their own ignorance. They just keep doing the same mistakes over and over again and never learning from them. Denial is a powerful thing.
Looking forward to seeing how the liberals in this thread find a way to contort reason to argue that the wars that Hillary will be starting are just and necessary.

so even if you're right lol what's the solution short of funding a kickstarter to bring over a tankie to tell black people about Hillary's "sudden pandering to black issues"?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Bob le Moche posted:

educate, agitate, organize

etc

This is at the least more useful than "don't vote" so thanks for that.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

JFairfax posted:

it's best to understand american politican discourse through the prism of sports.

if you don't support my team in this match then you must be rooting for the other side, ergo, gently caress you.

This might work if the Ravens or whoever were working to further oppress minorities, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Pharohman777 posted:

Too ambitious and too fake are actual reasons for why somone would not like hillary, independient of being a woman.
Hillary is a career politician who got the DNC to rug the primaries in her favor based on the DNC leaks. Then she refuses to do public press confrences for over a year, while trump has done multiple ones.

She always acts like she is hiding something.

:wow:

• Locked thread