Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I know there are probably some other threads in here about this, but I'm not going to try and find them. I did that before and found that most of the threads here are boring as hell. It's like going to a comic book store because you're wondering why Ice Man is never in a movie.

Anyway, my question is why do lots of people hate Hillary Clinton so much? I never even considered it before 2008, when this crazy woman in my office went off on me about her when I expressed my dislike of GW Bush. I told her that either of my dogs would be a better president than Bush and all she would say was "BUT YOU WOULD HAVE HILLARY!!!??!!!" (I am not exaggerating the caps or the exclamation points)

Do people hate the idea of a woman president so much that they would pick anyone else? Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
ok thanks for the video man but what about my question

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Finally, she is simply not a very warm or emotive person. She is clearly a bit stand-offish and cold and because she is a woman people find it unbecoming

sounds like you're kind of a dick

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am not sure why you say that. Misogynistic stereotypes of femininity require women to be meek and warm and submissive. Clinton is stern and a bit cold. It's not a problem with her character, because that is exactly as a president should be. However, you cannot challenge gender roles like that and not receive push back from traditionalists.

Ah, I get it now. Sorry for the dick comment.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

and here I was wondering why I never post here

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I worry about over-generalizing but really I think a vast majority of it comes from gender.

Like one of the biggest criticisms people seem to have of her is that she is a single-minded careerist who will do anything to get ahead. If she were a man, people would just say she was ambitious. Hillary Clinton represents one of the realest pushes against gender roles in modern society, and of course people are going to hate that. poo poo bro, you were a GBS mod, you have seen first hand how some people act about politically motivated women. Compare the public persona of Hillary Clinton to every other first lady, and you will see why she gets so much negative feedback.

I'm sorry to disapoint you but being a GBS mod doesn't make you a political expert.

Your statement "Compare the public persona of Hillary Clinton to every other first lady" might as well be "Calculate the number Pi to 50 digits".

I don't know, that's why I created the loving thread.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Fair enough.

This is a good article to let you see how the first lady was viewed when she entered the national stage in 1992

http://qz.com/762881/the-blatantly-sexist-cookie-bake-off-that-has-haunted-hillary-clinton-for-two-decades-is-back/

A highly decorated lawyer was forced to bake cookies for a women's magazine in order to be appealing to the public. Think about how insane that is.

Nancy Reagan, Barbara Bush, Laura Bush, and even Michelle Obama to an extent have all been warm feminine maternal figures who did photo ops and smiled with children in the rose garden. Hillary wasn't, and that upset people because of how shocking it was.

I honestly had no idea that women were still treated so second-class. drat. Makes John Lennon even more of a prophet than I thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl-7-wjQO1k

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

computer parts posted:

#4 is the root of the other two. Like there's no serious way you can justify #2 without saying at some point "well sure she says progressive things but I don't believe her".

Hell, it's the root of the Iraq War vote hate as well. Or do you wonder why no one gives Joe Biden poo poo for it?

All politics is a huge load of bullshit

always has been

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

J Corp posted:

A long history of lying to the public probably has something to do with it.

I'm happy that we get some of the crazy ones in here too!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I haven't payed attention to this thread in the past couple days but I just tried to register to vote online.
They wanted to know my address the last time I voted. That was like 16 years ago, I don't remember that poo poo. What a load of bullshit. The American electoral system is even more broken than I thought.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

JFairfax posted:

There are large parts of the American democracy that are admirable and inspirational, also plenty that is reprehensible.

Conceptually America is up there with the best things humanity has created, a true product of the enlightenment. It's just that the theory has been spoiled by people.

this I agree with , in a big way

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
holy crap I just realized this thread is 12 pages

wtf

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Regarde Aduck posted:

America is the land of plenty. Only they let the rich people put the plenty in big vaults. So now you have the most powerful nation on the planet, containing within it, whole failed cities and people dying of easily treatable diseases. It's amazing how the dream was allowed to slip through the peoples fingers.

Yeah because no other nation on earth has whole failed cities and people dying of easily treatable diseases. It's amazing how humans love to blame other humans.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Some Guy TT posted:

People like talking about movies. Also dictatorships. Hillary's kind of an afterthought.

I'm getting the idea that the whole thing is kind of an afterthought.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Lightning Knight posted:

The thread spiraled into a long derail related to tankies. There's some answers to your question in there but it's probably not worth reading and this discussion has probably run its course.

wtf is tankies

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Lightning Knight posted:

Reading the thread would explain but also probably be a waste of time.

That I can agree with.

Lightning Knight posted:

It's kind of a catch all term for authoritarian leftists

We don't have that in the US, that's something you European types have that I wish we had.
The closest thing we have here is a bunch of loud youngsters.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
So basically people in the US hate Hillary because she's the independant woman?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I just love the fact that there are so many men out there who poo poo their pants because a woman might be president. AHHAHA what a bunch of loving idiots!

Like it matters who's president. The rich make policy regardless.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
WTF seriously, this thread is still going

I've slept like 5 times AT LEAST since starting it

D&D is a strange and amazing place

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

gnarlyhotep posted:

WTF seriously, this thread is still going

I've slept like 5 times AT LEAST since starting it

D&D is a strange and amazing place

lets keep it going :uhaul:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I'll be honest I just wanted a reason to use that smiley, but if you guys want to keep going, more power to ya

• Locked thread