Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HorseLord posted:

i'm not sure what you expect would be all that different

A ban on Muslim immigration and deporting 11 million immigrants would be a pretty big difference. I would say The Wall too, but we all know it would never actually be built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

Sure, and that's fair. It just seems to me that one of the things that's coming back to haunt her, ironically, is how much she was sold as an equal partner in her husband's presidency. As Bill put it in 1992:

So I think that's why so many people assume that she holds the same views as her husband did during his presidency, even if that's not true. It was a good line at the time, but the conception of them as equal partners in his administration has partially burdened her with some of his political baggage.

Quoting Bill from 1992 seems hardly fair to Hillary, who has never claimed that Bill will be an equal partner in her Presidency. Obviously he will contribute in some ways, but she has barely talked about what role he will be playing.

HorseLord posted:

btw how could trump deport people on his own? is america's government already set up as a dictatorship, but you can replace them like lightbulbs or something?

Congress is currently controlled by the Republicans, dumbass.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Civilized Fishbot posted:

(he doesn't even talk about throwing out existing brown people)

Hoo boy, did you miss when he said in a debate that he wanted to re-implement Operation Wetback?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HorseLord posted:

its weird that you admit that your country and it's political life is deeply, deeply sick, but also you think that just one guy decides if everything is bad or not. we're currently lacking a hitler but that doesn't stop nazis from causing us trouble, still

This "one guy" would have full control over the largest military force on the planet.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HorseLord posted:

unless your military command structure has changed recently, no he wouldn't

Do you understand what Commander in Chief means?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HorseLord posted:

it most definitely doesn't mean "has unchecked and unlimited power". if donny tump rolls out of bed at 4am and demands to nuke the north pole they'd just declare him unfit for his position

Okay, so you have literally no understanding of how the government works.

Who is the "they" in this scenario that's declaring him unfit? The generals he hand picks to run the military?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TomViolence posted:

And yet, Trump's albeit erratic and ill-defined foreign policy is often pitched as less interventionist than that of known Kissinger associate Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Really? You think "Bomb the poo poo out of them" and "Take the oil" Trump is going to be less interventionist?

He'll get mad over something minor and petty and then the missiles start flying.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SickZip posted:

I'm phone posting so pretend I put the We Came, We Saw, He Died video

Please tell me why Gaddafi getting killed is something to be sad about.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TomViolence posted:

I think if anybody believes either candidate is going to significantly follow through on their campaign rhetoric they haven't been paying attention to politics for most of the past year.

If you think Hillary Clinton isn't going to try to do literally everything in her platform, you don't know Hillary Clinton. She might not succeed, but she drat well will try.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SickZip posted:

I'm going to avoid the question of whether we should have taken out Gaddafi and instead note how insanely ghoulish that was. There's a difference between putting down a mad dog because it's necessary and doing the same then posting a picture of you brutally crushing its skull on Facebook.

She's got a dark sense of humor. I remember most Americans expressing a similar sentiment when we killed Bin Laden, how is this much different?

E: VVV That's a whole different issue than being mad about Hillary being glib about his death.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JFairfax posted:

she is deeply involved in most of the egregious international actions of the US over the last 8 years

A hell of a feat considering she stopped being Secretary of State in 2012.

Kristov posted:

Projection of all the faults of western imperialism onto this one single solitary person.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TomViolence posted:

Post-brexit Britain: a portentous cautionary tale of things to come.

Thank God we have way more non-white people who are making sure Trump won't win.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Weird that lots of Generals have endorsed Trump, then. You think they'd endorse the embodiment of the military industrial complex.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cracked_Gear posted:

That and she's running against Trump of all people and it's still a close race.

But I'm worried that she's not going to win.

In addition to you have really dumb reasons to hate her, you might want to look at the most recent polling. The race is not close and she is going to win.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm not clear on how sanctions carried out by multiple states beginning in 1990 are the sole fault of the man who became president in 1992.

No, Bill Clinton personally killed each and every one of those children with his own hands. And Hillary is equally at fault.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

She sort of kind of adopted his platform in an attempt to win back the people who didn't care for her. I wasn't joking about voting for whoever will promise me Universal Health Care.

Then you're not going to be voting for a long loving time in this country.

Hillary wants to add the public option to Obamacare, which is a great first step towards that goal, but the idea that we could elect a President who could give us actual functioning UHC within 8 years is laughable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

A female leader of a country is not that unique anymore, after Thatcher and other leaders in other countries

Oh, word?

• Locked thread