Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

McAlister posted:

I wouldn't call most of those characters ambitious per se. And strong/good female characters can be strong and good without being ambitious.
I'm looking forward to Queen of Katwe. (Some other sweet - and I do mean sweet, and heartwarming - movies are Bend It Like Beckham and English Vinglish. And I have no idea why all three are by Indian directors, I don't usually watch Bollywood.)

Anyhow, I think that others have it. Hillary sits at the intersection of being an ambitious woman, an introverted nerdy wonk, and a realistic optimist. And all three run counter to the optimistic extroverted male trope that's called 'charismatic', and upset the traditional order of things for a lot of people. Add her long history in politics, which means that she's made some mistakes, and the hatred against her has had the time to brew, and you have the irrational levels it has come to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

HorseLord posted:

have you ever considered that "most qualified and well-connected" in the contest of american imperial politics is actually terrifying rather than appealing
Nope. This would be dumb. Politics is based on personal connections, so this just means that she's qualified to do her job.

This reminds me, actually. Women generally ascend to power if either or both conditions are established: a. there is some sort of a crisis in the organisation (cf. Theresa May after the Brexit), and b. they are related to a previous male leader (widow, wife, daughter...). The latter, when it applies, is because they can repurpose the personal networks of the male leader for themselves. If not Clinton, then the first woman president would, therefore, have still most certainly been a Clinton-type insider. In a way, best to clean that hurdle now and get it over with.

Well, unless you believe some enterprising lady would have done an Obama and gotten another powerful clan behind her. Like Obama did with the Kennedys.

• Locked thread