Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Barry Sanders awoke me to the fact that the system is broken and Big Business is out to get me

that's why I'm voting for predatory businessman Donald Trump/Gary Johnson, rather than business shill hilary clinto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Sulphuric rear end in a top hat posted:

Suggesting the use of drones on foreign non combatants is a good reason to hate her (as well as every other politician that supports that)

Hillary is moderately hawkish (by American standards, meaning a foaming-at-the-mouth warmonger by certain other standards), supported criminal-justice/anti-drug reforms that devastated minority and low-income communities over the past two decades, discredited and gaslit younger, more vulnerable women who were victims of her husband's sexual predation, encouraged American allies to allow dangerous and unethical industrial processes, and participated prominently in the third-way movement that stood by while organized labor and social safety nets were gutted throughout the western world.

These are all reasonable reasons to dislike a person, if you're an internet communist or, hell, just a reasonably well-informed progressive voter.

However, much of the electorate - including the center-or-leftward half of it - is either on board with those things or doesn't know/care about them, so there's gotta be some other factor that explains the sheer extent of her unpopularity

(it's misogyny)

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I think if you want to see the double-standard, all you have to do is juxtapose Hillary's approval ratings (low) with Bill's (perpetually high).

1990s Bill advanced sinister neoliberal policies and definitely did shady, hosed-up things in his personal life.

1990s Hillary advanced identical sinister neoliberal policies, but only maybe did shady, hosed-up things in her personal life.

What's the difference?
Bill is a man, and his behavior - good and bad - falls comfortably within expectations for his gender. His sleaze is considered charming.

Hillary is a woman, and her behavior does not fall within those expectations. Her severity is considered offputting and her possible sleaze is drastically magnified relative to her husband's definite sleaze.

• Locked thread