Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I try to have the conversation that McAlistar presents with people I know but they just don't get it. I had a dumb argument with a friend about why I don't watch Disney movies. First of all, I don't have kids like he does. That got a blank stare so I also said the messaging was terrible. But, in Beauty and the Beast you learn that women can be smart and strong, he says to me. I say that despite that, your choices as a woman is to marry an awful douchebag or to civilize a literal animal. The whole story is about putting up with men being terrible as a given in life. Then his wife jumps in to defend how wonderful Disney is and so I just give up. You guys all buy into this stupid narrative about how women are supposed to be.
Then there's me. I'm not living on the fringe pushing gender boundaries or anything like that. I look like a pretty typical woman. I feel like if I buzzed my hair short, grew my armpit hair long and dyed it blue I'd be taken more seriously, even though I'm sure I'd still be treated pretty terribly. But society has decided that if you look like a woman, it's loving weird that you're openly intelligent, assertive, and ambitious. Sorry not sorry for failing to be impressed with Disney showing a girl reading dumb girl books as being a win for women.

So yeah, the anti Hillary crap is pretty naked misogyny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread