Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
I don't understand why its a 'thing' that needs to be commented on, especially if they are not the ones eating it.

Ketchup, a sweet sauce, and steak, a savory meat item, go very well together when mixed to create a more complicated 'flavor profile'.

I understand some people are simple and just want to eat the steak with salt and pepper, and that's fine. But theres no need to get upset at others if they want a more complex dining experience.

Personally I only put ketchup itself on cheaper cuts of meat. For special occasions when I buy an expensive cut like ribeye or a NY strip I will make a ketchup reduction and glaze it over the meat. Very yummy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
if your gonna dump ketchup all over it you may as well replace the steak with a shoe dipshit

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
I reserve all my ketchup for hot dogs, sorry OP

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

ketchup is for pizza and pizza only

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

med school head posted:

if your gonna dump ketchup all over it you may as well replace the steak with a shoe dipshit

Ah we got a live one! :allears: Why are you so upset? Its 840am on a fine Monday morning.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I like my steak very well done and slathered in american style yellow mustard

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

TheLightPurges posted:

Ah we got a live one! :allears: Why are you so upset? Its 840am on a fine Monday morning.

you suck

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

there is no food on this planet that is improved by putting ketchup on it

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
This is a lazy troll and you idiots are still engaging him regardless. Gas.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

kecske posted:

there is no food on this planet that is improved by putting ketchup on it

Hamburgers
Hotdogs
Steak (most kinds of meat really)
Eggs
Chicken wings

Do I need to go on? Like thats a blanket statement a literal child would make.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Doctor Dogballs posted:

ketchup is for pizza and pizza only

ketchup, kraft singles and spam for a truly american pizza

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Ranch is the superior garbage sauce.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
god i could really go for a cool glass of ketchup right now..

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

TheLightPurges posted:

Hamburgers
Hotdogs
Steak (most kinds of meat really)
Eggs
Chicken wings

Do I need to go on? Like thats a blanket statement a literal child would make.

At least the literal child would be correct by making the statement. Ketchup on chicken wings? Seriously?

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

yeah I eat rear end posted:

At least the literal child would be correct by making the statement. Ketchup on chicken wings? Seriously?

Well not on buffalo wings. But regular roasted chicken is bland and needs something to spice it up to make a complete flavor profile. Ketchup is a viable option.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
chicken tenders and some cool ketchup?!!!?! :holymoley:

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

TheLightPurges posted:

I don't understand why its a 'thing' that needs to be commented on, especially if they are not the ones eating it.

Ketchup, a sweet sauce, and steak, a savory meat item, go very well together when mixed to create a more complicated 'flavor profile'.

I understand some people are simple and just want to eat the steak with salt and pepper, and that's fine. But theres no need to get upset at others if they want a more complex dining experience.

Personally I only put ketchup itself on cheaper cuts of meat. For special occasions when I buy an expensive cut like ribeye or a NY strip I will make a ketchup reduction and glaze it over the meat. Very yummy!

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

ketchup is great when you put it on top of a meatloaf while it cooks. that is some classic poo poo.

i should make a meatloaf, at 8:30am

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
lol roasted chicken wings

I dont get mad, but you're wrong OP. At least use A1 if you're gonna be a pleb

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
honestly it really comes down to the mouthfeel of the ketchup and whether the tomatoes were free-range or not

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Some folk just can't stand what other folk like, and will rail against it until the moon falls down.

Me, I strive to find beauty in every steak.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Ketchup is put to much better use on scrambled eggs.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

med school head posted:

woah, rude

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Steak is large cut of usually higher quality meat. The "point" of the steak, and really any other food, is to deliver a flavor profile. Different cuts of steal have subtleties in flavor and a good cook can also shake that up and enhance it.

What that means in reality is that steak, decent steak, is expensive. You're paying way more per lb of beef for a steak than the other cuts of beef. It's like the difference between buying a stack of cheap copy paper vs resume parchment. They're both paper, but different paper.

When you take a good steak that has been prepared well and douse it in sugar-vinegar you basically wipe out the flavor profile of the steak. Cooking the steak well-done also does the same thing. You're paying top dollar for something and then wiping out the quality you paid for.

This isn't so bad on lovely steak because that was most likely cheap and flavorless to begin with, but doing that on any other steak is wasteful and, if done on a steak you didn't cook, insulting to the chef both against their talent and their/your wallet.

It's like going into a store, buying an expensive painting and then getting out a sharpie and drawing your own picture on top of it. Yeah, you like it and really in life that's all that matters, but people are going to look at you and recognize you're a wasteful idiot with no taste. You could have bought a $10 canvas and had the same experience.

Don't put ketchup on steak or order it above medium unless you want people to think you're and idiot.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you might even say that putting ketchup on steak would be a 'mis steak'

someone might, anyways

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Arkanomen posted:

Steak is large cut of usually higher quality meat. The "point" of the steak, and really any other food, is to deliver a flavor profile. Different cuts of steal have subtleties in flavor and a good cook can also shake that up and enhance it.

What that means in reality is that steak, decent steak, is expensive. You're paying way more per lb of beef for a steak than the other cuts of beef. It's like the difference between buying a stack of cheap copy paper vs resume parchment. They're both paper, but different paper.

When you take a good steak that has been prepared well and douse it in sugar-vinegar you basically wipe out the flavor profile of the steak. Cooking the steak well-done also does the same thing. You're paying top dollar for something and then wiping out the quality you paid for.

This isn't so bad on lovely steak because that was most likely cheap and flavorless to begin with, but doing that on any other steak is wasteful and, if done on a steak you didn't cook, insulting to the chef both against their talent and their/your wallet.

It's like going into a store, buying an expensive painting and then getting out a sharpie and drawing your own picture on top of it. Yeah, you like it and really in life that's all that matters, but people are going to look at you and recognize you're a wasteful idiot with no taste. You could have bought a $10 canvas and had the same experience.

Don't put ketchup on steak or order it above medium unless you want people to think you're and idiot.

:chloe:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
That is a lot of words about steak. You could have just said "put ketchup on bad steak, don't put it on good steak" and saved yourself a lot of time.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Arkanomen posted:

I bet you didn't eat vegetables as a child either. Experiment a little.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't much care for ketchup, I prefer mayonnaise in pretty much every instance.

A sliced tomato accomplishes everything ketchup does on a hamburger, I never put ketchup (or steak sauce) on a steak. If it is not served with a sauce or a gravy then the steak must then be succulent enough to not require either. Induitably, however, I will put ketchup on a hot dog, but even then, if given the option, I'd prefer grilled onions and mayo to top a dog.

Ketchup is largely a waste, and I do not like mustard.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
my secret sauce:

1 part ketchup
1 part honey mustard dressing

:getin:

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
I don't know how you can say a sliced tomato accomplishes the same thing as ketchup is a complex blend of at least 52 herbs and spices. Tomato is but one ingredient. Maybe your pallatte needs some broadening. Give it a try. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
did you know you can just dip marshmallows directly into Nutella?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That is a lot of words about steak. You could have just said "put ketchup on bad steak, don't put it on good steak" and saved yourself a lot of time.

I could have but I didn't because this is America and if you want to write a lot of words or or put ketchup on a steak you can do that. This isn't Europe where I bet you can't even buy steak without a license and tax stamp. :patriot::tf::patriot:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TheLightPurges posted:

I don't know how you can say a sliced tomato accomplishes the same thing as ketchup is a complex blend of at least 52 herbs and spices. Tomato is but one ingredient. Maybe your pallatte needs some broadening. Give it a try. Don't be afraid to experiment.

The only way to spice up ketchup is to mix it with mayonnaise, or jizz.

Zorodius posted:

did you know you can just dip marshmallows directly into Nutella?

gently caress that, get a jar of peanut butter and a bag of chocolate chips for baking (both like two bucks). Use spoon, combine two, you have ultimate stoner snack. Get fat.

GET FAT.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
See, I don't quite see it like that. It's more like this:

You go into a fancy french restaurant. Food costs a fortune, but it's (by all accounts) worth it. You order your food, so does your companion. You get it, and it's this hideously complex arrangement of sauces and textures and such. It's also got a fork. The waiter spends a minute explaining the subtlety of the flavours and such- pretentious, but he wants you to fully get what you paid for.

And then you ask for ketchup.

Is the chef justified in throwing you out on your rear end afterwards, as he almost certainly would? Probably. You paid for it, but he made it, and he intended you to taste something specific that you were trying to completely ruin with salty red goop. You may not care, you may only care about the fact that it was technically a chicken dish and you were still gonna eat that chicken (as if that's what mattered), but he still had a perfectly good reason for saying "er, no, gently caress off and die."

Now, I don't think that this is why there aren't any cheat devices now. The reason is because it's far more lucrative to sell them, as EA knows and as everybody else will soon know as well. The most lucrative part of gaming in the future is very likely to be these ancillary costs, why would they give that up? I have little sympathy for IP extremism either.

(EULAs are horseshit, everybody KNOWS they're horseshit, the only reason anybody abides by their provisions is that they're too poor/dumb/scared to fight a legally unenforceable contract in court, even though EULAs get regularly mauled there.)

But c'mon. You do have to recognize that sometimes you shouldn't be slathering ketchup on your meal.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Theres a dude who made a cookbook using his jizz as the main ingredient. I mean that's how most dudes clean up after baitin' but I'm not so sure as a food item. I'll try to be open minded.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
That chef seems like a pretentious rear end in a top hat.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Ren and Stimpire fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 3, 2016

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
What are we supposed to do? Just let other people like things that are bad? Turn a blind eye to those Others with opinions that are dumb?

Nay! It is our right and duty to get very upset and type very intense and laboriously thought out rants when someone else does a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You can buy ketchup and mayo premixed, it's sold as "1000 Island Dressing".

• Locked thread