Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

IceBorg posted:

Also a question because I might have understood it wrong when you explained it, but is there a diference between like having a character in the botton to having it on low in the sense thing? Or are they basically the same thing when you are deciding if you trust a character?

Functionally no, but it will come into play once we have 4 or 5 characters on the wheel at once. There might be no difference between "I do not trust character X or Y", but if you have one set at 0 and one set at 2, the game still takes that as "but I trust Y over X"

Artix fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Bottom

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Low

This game has the dumbest name I've ever seen and I work at Square Enix

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Not voting because I've played and completed this game, but drat is it good. I hope everyone has lots of fun. :anime:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

IceBorg posted:

Also a question because I might have understood it wrong when you explained it, but is there a diference between like having a character in the botton to having it on low in the sense thing? Or are they basically the same thing when you are deciding if you trust a character?

I'm assuming that there'll be more complicated situations later where we have to judge the trustworthiness of a bunch of people relative to each other and we'll want finer control over that.

E: Holy poo poo that was a lot of posts all of a sudden, beaten. Not voting because I'm an indecisive motherfucker.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Top. Get your flu shot you god drat baby.

Looking forward to seeing how Root Double ~ What If? Trucks: Fates progresses.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
High. She's gone out of her way to sit us down and explain poo poo like we're a baby, so although we're hesitant, let's trust her for now.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hey, are the choices going to branch off into different routes like a tree, or are they just "One correct choice and the rest just kill you"? If it's the former I could possibly cook up some kind of flowchart to show our decisions (no guarantees).

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

IceBorg posted:

The post Artix made pretty much sums it up. There's more complicated situations that come later, but for now, it doesn't really matter if we have bottom or low in this decision. It will maybe matter for a blue decision later, though - since I'll just carry over whatever Senses we had from the yellow decisions into the blue ones.

Junpei posted:

Hey, are the choices going to branch off into different routes like a tree, or are they just "One correct choice and the rest just kill you"? If it's the former I could possibly cook up some kind of flowchart to show our decisions (no guarantees).

Well, some choices branch, and some don't. So, for instance, the first choice we made goes two ways:

A: We trust Jun. She and Kazami get Yuuri out of the fire just fine.
B: We don't trust Jun. We get a red decision to make sure we're not stupid, and I confirm that we're stupid. Then Watase goes in, gets his hair set on fire, runs around like an idiot, runs into the jetstream coming from the hose Kazami was using, gets knocked back, crashes into something and dies.

I'm not sure how many actual branches exist in this route, or even if one exists that doesn't eventually loop back into a Bad End. I only played through the route once because this game is long enough as it is.

EDIT: Also, I want to clarify that this talk doesn't fall under the spoiler rule, as it doesn't spoil the story. The existence of different endings or different subroutes is something I think you should know about, but I don't know a lot about it myself.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 8, 2016

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I hope you will show all the bad endings we miss later because that sound funny as hell.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

IceBorg posted:

I hope you will show all the bad endings we miss later because that sound funny as hell.

For now, I'll be going through the game the way you vote, but I found a guide for all the endings, so I should be able to show those we missed afterwards.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Iirc most the actual "choices" just change who is with you at any given time. The actual events are the same, but when you split up you can decide whether Jun comes with you and Kazami does something with everyone else, or vice versa. There's a couple that are more substantial than that, but they're more of the "whoops you didn't have character X do thing Y an hour ago BAD END" variety.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
High. She just took a lot of time to explain the situation to us, so she seems trustworthy. We still don't remember crap, though, so we shouldn't trust everyone completely yet.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

LucyWanabe posted:

High. She just took a lot of time to explain the situation to us, so she seems trustworthy. We still don't remember crap, though, so we shouldn't trust everyone completely yet.

The bad thing is that you're too late, I just recorded the next batch of footage. The good thing is that all you would have done was push the average from a straight 4 to 4.18, which still rounds down to 4, so you can feel like your vote counted too.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Then it all works out in the end. :v:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Misunderstanding

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Well, what did the man do this time?

code:
Top:    IIII
High:   II
Low:    I
Bottom: IIII

Result: 4.18
Uh oh, looks like Kazami didn't manage to earn your trust as well as Jun did. Was it that she seemed to know more than she was actually letting on and trying to mask it by seeming cool and collected? Well, that means the Senses bar is staying right where it is, in the middle. And as I've told you before, middle means not trusting somebody in a single character situation.

And we're immediately dropped into a red branch, but I'm standing firm. We are not trusting her.

A drug that gives 100% protection against radiation...? Are you for real!?
I can understand why you're shocked. But please trust me. This is a serious matter that concerns your life.
(No, that's impossible...!)

There was no way a drug that offered 100% resistance to radiation actually existed. He had no memories to base that assumption off of. but he was sure he was right--

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

Uh oh, that's not the music that we want to be playing right now... or is it?

I don't know, but...
Crap! You'd better inject yourself just to be safe! You should have some AD on you!

Using it's a piece of cake! It comes with its own cartridge, so just put it in that--

But though he'd heard her explanation quite clearly, the man didn't feel like injecting himself with it.

Captain, what's wrong? Hurry up and inject it already.

The image of her turning around and trying to escape the AD injection played back in his head. He turned to the lieutenant again as the warning bells in his heart grew louder and louder.

Hey... is this AD really an anti-radiation drug? I just can't bring myself to believe that's true...

Irritation welled up in the lieutenant's eyes at that moment.

Captain, please stop fooling around! There might be radiation eating away at your body at this very second! If you can't do it, then take out your arm! I'll give you the shot!

The lieutenant then took the ampule and cartridge right out of the man's hands with those words. She then quickly loaded the ampule into the cartridge and pointed it at the man's arm.

--Hurry! Please give me your arm!

That same woman had injected the young girl with AD against her own will just a few minutes ago in the exact same manner. That fact put the man on his guard.

--Stop it! I don't need that thing!
Ahh!

As he shook the AD away, his hand struck the lieutenant in the face, causing her to shriek.

Whoa, what the hell are you doing, Captain!?
Shut up! No more lies! Tell me what you're planning to do to me after you inject me with whatever crap's in this thing!
Huh? 'The hell are you on about? Are you saying you can't trust what your squadmates say?

It was true that the two of them were wearing the same rescue uniform that he was. But with no memories, they could just be pretending to be rescue workers for all the man knew. Just then, the lieutenant turned to her subordinate and spoke.

Moribe, pin the Captain down! Brute force is our only option at this point!
Roger!
(Wha-- I knew it, these guys are-!!)

No rescue worker would ever do something like that in his mind.

S-stay back!
Whoa!

The man shook off the female rescue worker and ran away from the group as fast as he could. He then blindly ran without any clue where he was headed for a few minutes.

(A dead end!? Dammit-- this place won't work! They'll find me in no time flat!)

He looked up, only to find what appeared to be the landing of a staircase. He then heard the voices of the two rescue workers on the other side of the door.

Then the only other place we haven't looked is...
(S-poo poo!)

The odds of him actually making it there seemed nigh-impossible, but--

(This body... is super strong.)

By the time the two rescue workers opened the door, the man was only a short distance away from reaching the landing.

(drat, they found me. But I'm almost--)

Though his attention was caught by the voices below him, the man still reached for the landing-- but at that moment-- the protruding wall he'd been using as a foothold suddenly gave way.

Huh?

By the time he came to his senses, his body was dancing in mid-air. And the landing that was almost in his grasp was suddenly much farther away. --I'm falling!? A second later, his back crashed into the debris below him.

There was an unnatural pain in his chest.

(Wha... what the hell... is this...?)

When he looked down, he saw a reinforcing bar smeared with dark red blood sticking out of the center of his chest.

Captain! Th-this can't be happening!
A-AAAAAAAAAAAAAH! No! No!!

Their screams filled his ears. --Screams!? Amidst the agony he was feeling, a thought still managed to pop into the man's head. ''I thought they were trying to hurt me... Then why are they screaming like that?''

(Then... does that mean those two were... actually... worried... about me...?)

But he no longer had any time to find out if that was true or not-- for before long, he passed away as blood foamed from his mouth.

For the record, I lay partial blame on Tachibana for this one. As a super-duper rescue squad, you should be able to deal with people that don't have a loving clue what's going on and are easily panicked, and she should have realized that while Watase doesn't have his memory, he still has his physical ability, which is supreme, given that he's the captain of this elite squad. Taking him down physically would have only worsened the situation and basically 100% confirmed his misplaced paranoia, which is a recipe for disaster.

Let's try to do better next time around.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Whelp, that was some Zero Escape-level poo poo that just happened.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Wow that was something.

I wasn't expecting "Not taking the AD-> Falling and getting speared in the chest" in terms of a game over.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Excellent, can't wait to see what other terrible bad ends await us.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
My strategy would have been flawless if Kazami had behaved more reasonably. Watase Kasasagi cannot fail, he can only be failed.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Junpei posted:

Whelp, that was some Zero Escape-level poo poo that just happened.

I told you having a connection with Uchikoshi means that your games suddenly become more like his because of his brain parasites.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TheMcD posted:

I told you having a connection with Uchikoshi means that your games suddenly become more like his because of his brain parasites.

I meant in terms of "Gory bad endings".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Junpei posted:

I meant in terms of "Gory bad endings".

Well, so did I, basically. That's mainly what I mean when I say that Uchi basically oozed into this game - you'll keep running into scenes, archetypes, situations and whatnot that all make you think "huh, I remember that from Zero Escape". Of course, I have knowledge of the entire game to base that statement on, so it'll be a bit until we run into some more of those. But the gory bad endings strewn all over the place are one of those crossover factors.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

First Impression: 09/16/2030, 09:18 - Part 2

So, we're trying to do better this time around. I've found out that setting the bar to 5 actually isn't enough for trusting somebody, so 6 it is for Tachibana's Senses. I'll set it back to 4 at the first opportunity at a blue branch, though.

And this time...

Chose to trust her.

I-I see...

Everything he'd just heard felt so utterly unrealistic... but given how the lieutenant had said it all with a straight face, it was probably true. But he suddenly felt a chill run through him.

Hey, uh, you sure we'll be okay without getting shots too?
What do you mean? We only just injected ourselves right before we found you-- ...!?

The lieutenant and her subordinate gasped.

Oh yeah...! Captain, when was the last time you gave yourself some ADl?
I-I don't know...
Crap! You'd better inject yourself just to be safe! You should have some AD on you!

The man frantically searched his pockets and quickly found an ampule in one of them.

Using it's a piece of cake! It comes with its own cartridge, so just put it in that--

L-like this!?

Urged on by the woman, the man loaded the ampule into the cartridge. Once he injected it, the fluid in the container entered his body, accompanied by the slight prickling pain that came with a shot. And at that moment, he felt like something had faded from his head.

(What's this feeling... is it a side-effect of the drug?)
What's wrong, Captain? This means you're safe for now, so there shouldn't be a problem.
Safe...!?

The idea of feeling safe in this situation was totally insane to the man.

(There's no way in hell I could accept a messed-up situation like this so easily...)

He decided to try asking a question in an attempt to keep himself from worrying.

H-hey, can I ask something? Just who am I, and what's happening right now? And, uh, right-- the exit... where's the exit to this facility!?

The lieutenant and her subordinate exchanged glances upon hearing his chain of questions.

The 'exit', huh...
...Then we'll take you to it now. I'll explain the situation to you on the way there.

Their words seemed to carry a heavy weight to them.

...? Oh, thanks, I'd appreciate that.
Roger that. Then Captain, ma'am, this way please.
O-okay...

The lieutenant started walking. The rest of the group soon followed after her.

Just want to remind everybody that there will be very many hard cuts like this, and probably quite a few short updates, given the way chapters work here. So don't be confused if updates just abruptly end or are very short, or both. I'm just keeping them from being mile long by using the cutting method the game provides me with.

Also, don't expect this to mean that I'm keeping a schedule. Schedules are the devil's plaything.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Closed Circle: 09/16/2030, 09:23

It was blocked by a metal door, but that opened once the lieutenant had operated a nearby terminal.

(This place is huge...)

Just then, the lieutenant turned to the man and spoke.

Captain, which would you rather know first-- your personal information or the situation?
Oh, uh... my personal information, please.
Understood. Then let's start with your name-- It's 'Watase Kasasagi'.

We have our first confirmed character name! :toot: Not that it really counts for much since the Senses Sympathy System screen already tells us this and more, but it's still something.

The man-- no, ''Watase'', listened to the lieutenant list off facts about him with a strange feeling in his heart.

You're 32 years old and single. You're a member of the Rokumei City Fire Department's special elite rescue squad, 'Sirius'. Your rank is Fire Lieutenant.

Tips posted:

TIP: Firefighter
Category: Includes fiction

A fire department is an organization that extinguishes and prevents fires. Members of a fire department who are dispatched to fire scenes are called firefighters. Their chief duties include extinguishing fires and saving lives. One thing of note is that while the word firefighter can be used as a generic term for all members of a fire department, it is also used as a rank. The current eleven ranks in Japan's firefighting system are, from highest to lowest:

Commissioner of the Fire and Disaster Management Agency
Fire Chief
Chief Fire Superintendent (the Rokumei City Fire Department Station Chief)
Senior Fire Superintendent
Fire Superintendent
Battalion Chief
Fire Captain
Fire Lieutenant (Watase)
Fire Sergeant (Kazami, Dojima, Hiyama)
Assistant Fire Sergeant
Firefighter (Jun)

In Japan, the police departments are prefectural, and the self-defense force is national, but in contrast, the fire departments are municipal, with over 800 fire departments nationally. Furthermore, the Fire and Disaster Management Organization Act of 1948 gave fire departments independence from police jurisdiction, making fire departments extremely local organizations. Some fire departments are organized into teams, like an engine crew in charge of a water pump and hose for fire extinguishment, orange uniformed rescue squads in charge of lifesaving, and emergency squads in charge of emergency medical services, as well as command posts that gather information on the scene and gives orders, and ladder companies in charge of ladder truck operation.

As a digression, due to the nature of a firefighter's professional duties, they must remain alert and ready to dispatch at any of the 24 hours of the day, and thus they must prepare their own meals. Many of them enjoy udon for its ease of preparation and balanced nutrition with the proper ingredients.

These tips are WAY more detailed than what I've usually seen. Not that that's a bad thing. I always appreciate side information like this.

Tips posted:

TIP: Sirius
Category: Fiction

Rokumei City Fire Department's special elite rescue squad. A feature they possess is a strict selection test like that of the Tokyo Fire and Disaster Management Agency, meaning those who pass are true elites. Sirius is divided into teams of 6 (5 members + 1 driver), with three teams total. Watase serves as the captain for Team A at the top of the list. Rokumei City is an exceptionally rare case where a city with a population as small as 200,000 is assigned a special elite rescue squad. However, the Fire Services Act was revised based on the importance placed on government designated top secret cities due to BC law. And as a result, it became necessary for top secret cities to have special elite rescue squads.

Also, Sirius refers to the alpha star of Canis Major. An alpha star is the brightest star in a particular constellation. The star Sirius is the next brightest star seen from Earth following the Sun. In the eyes of survivors trapped in fires and calamities, their stars of hope wear orange jumpsuits. Those stars are Rokumei City Fire Department Special Elite Rescue Squad Sirius.

''BC law''... I wonder what that is.

Tips posted:

TIP: Rescue squad

In a fire department, the elite team that actively saves lives is called the rescue squad. A rescue squad is defined by the Rescue Squad Formation, Equipment, and Stationing Standards Ordinance (Ordinance of the Ministry of Home Affairs No. 22 of 1986), which also calls for the classification of rescue squad and special rescue squad based on the number of squad members and rescue equipment at hand. However, some cities were unsatisfied with those classifications, and organized their own higher-level rescue squads in order to save as many people as possible. For example, the Tokyo Fire Department has Hyper Rescue and the Kyoto Fire Department has Super Command Rescue.

Hyper Rescue did especially remarkable work after the 2004 Niigata Chuetsu earthquake, and thus the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications revised the aforementioned ordinance in 2006. Above the classification of special rescue squad, elite rescue squad and special elite rescue squad were established, providing nationwide rescue preparedness in the face of disasters. Elite rescue squads are deployed in large-scale disasters and are often called Super Rescue while special elite rescue squads are deployed in even more serious NBC disasters and are often called Hyper Rescue.

The Rokumei City Fire Department Special Elite Rescue Squad Sirius is at this highest level.

They do like to hit that point that Sirius is the absolute cream of the crop when it comes to rescue squads.

And you‘re our squad's captain. In other words, that makes you our direct superior. Is any of this bringing back any memories?
No... not ringing any bells.

Oh, hey, a blue branch!

So this one's about how we feel about Tachibana and Moribe.

And of course, in accordance with our voting results, I lower our Senses for Tachibana back to the middle.

Oh, forgive me for not telling you sooner. I'm 'Kazami Tachibana', Fire Sergeant. I serve in this squad as your lieutenant.

Watase carved this information into his memory.

Note the +1 to Jun we just got.

The woman named Kazami appeared to be strict-- both towards herself and others.

Um, can I call you Lieutenant...?
No, please call me Tachibana instead. There's no need to be formal with me.

Watase nodded. Just then, the other rescue worker spoke up.

And I'm 'Jun Moribe', Firefighter, 20 years old! I only just joined Sirius this year, so I'm whatcha'd call the team's 'new blood'! My nickname's 'Sirius' Lady Suicide Squad Chief'! My catchphrase is 'Jun's my name, rescue's my game!' Let's get along, okay!?

...that's quite a nickname you picked for yourself there, Jun. And yes, I'm indeed pretty sure you were the one that picked that nickname for yourself.

She felt like the complete opposite of Kazami.

She seemed to have a fierce will, and yet a cheerful and friendly personality. She didn't appear to be very conscious of the hierarchy in the group, perhaps because she was a lot younger than her superiors.

Please excuse her attitude... I keep telling to her to do something about it, but it just doesn't sink in.
I usually -am- careful about it. It's just that when I get to work, I get caught up in the heat of things and can't hold myself back, y'know?
Yeah, I don't mind at all. Actually, it makes things a lot more comfortable for me.
Woohoo! You're so understanding today, Captain!
(Well, it looks like she's got the skills to make up for it.)

She'd have to have nerves of steel to stay so cheerful in a situation like this. Watase then turned to the last member of the party as that thought crossed his mind.

!?

Oh boy, doesn't look like she's warming up to you all that much, Captain. Well then, would you tell me your name, missy?
... ...ri.
Huh?
'Yuuri'.

The girl only gave her first name.

Yuuri, huh? Aw, that's a cute name. Nice to meet you!

(It feels like I've heard that name somewhere before...)

But no matter how much he studied her face or searched his memories, he couldn't remember anything solid. So he decided to give up and turned his attention back to Kazami.

Okay then, now that we're done introducing ourselves... could you please explain what's going now?
Roger that. Then let me explain this facility first--

Kazami then quietly began to speak.

This upcoming stuff is all quite important, as this segment gives the baseline for what's going on here. This version of how events occurred will be necessary to remember at points - and remember that we already have a version of how events occurred from the very first part of the story. Try to see if there are some things that don't quite match up. I mean, we already know from the first bit that Watase already had a run-in with Yuuri, but of course, that too went missing with his amnesia.

Could you be a bit more specific on that first part...?
I don't know the details, but it more or less seems to be a facility for conducting research related to nuclear power. The facility's name is the '6th Laboratory of Atomic and Biological Organization'-- known as 'LABO' for short.

Explosions of unknown origins occurred in the basement levels.

So they sent a rescue request to Sirius, since we're trained to handle these kinds of disasters. ...We then arrived on the scene at 6:26 AM and commenced our search for those still trapped.

Its digital display read 9:27 AM.

When we got here, we split into two teams of five-- Teams A and B. We're Team A.

Tips posted:

TIP: Command post

Various forces gather at the scene of a disaster, such as the lifesaving experts of a rescue squad, the engine crew with a fire truck, and an emergency squad consisting of three people with a transport ambulance. A frontline command post is established at the scene in order to give all of these groups proper direction. A commander is stationed at the command post at all times, giving directions to all forces based on reported information. The commander in charge of the current LABO meltdown incident response is Battalion Chief Murakami. Watase's duty (before he lost his memories) was to devise specific rescue methods and tactics on the scene for the rescue workers on the front line based off of the high—level instructions and objectives handed down to him from the command post.

This was around 6:35 AM.

The three of you might have gone down to the basement floors at that time. Reception's really bad down here, so our radios are nearly useless in that sort of situation.

This matches up with what we've seen in the intro. Watase did indeed go down to the basement with Dojima and Hiyama. However, nobody in this group actually knows that yet, they can only assume.

It's possible that you went to rescue survivors. According to members of LABO staff, the basement floors had already been evacuated and the only survivors still there were trapped in the above-ground floors, but--
While we were saving them, we found out there were survivors in the basement too. So the lieutenant and I headed there.

It was then that we set up a makeshift base on floor 82 and resumed our rescue activities once again. Then right after that, around 7:15 AM-- A most ominous announcement about a 'Case N' was broadcast throughout the entire facility.

Given the nature of this facility, it's probably short for 'Nuclear'.
We've got something in the rescue world we call an 'N disaster'. In that case, 'N' refers to a nuclear-induced disaster.

Another blue branch.

This time, it's about our opinions on Tachibana and Yuuri. We haven't gotten an opportunity to set our Senses for Yuuri yet, so it's still at maximum from the tutorial, but I think it's in a good spot there for now. Yuuri seems to be a lot more trustworthy than the other two right now - she's scared, confused and frightened, just like Watase is! Clearly, we can bond over this shared despair. And we'll surely get an opportunity to have a vote on this at some yellow branch fairly soon (note: I do not actually know what yellow branches are coming up and whether we'll have an opportunity to vote on Yuuri's Senses soon).

We checked our Procyons right after the announcement and discovered that the radiation levels had grown abnormally high. So we're pretty confident in our theory.

By the time they'd finished explaining, the group had arrived in Area 2.

Note the +1 to Yuuri.

She looked even more scared than she did earlier.

Yes, we agree, it's just...
The staircase leading to the surface is here in 'Area 2', but...

Kazami and Jun paused, then looked down the hall. Standing there was a door with a plate that read Emergency Staircase.

What do you mean, 'but'? The exit's right there, isn't it? Then let's go, Yuuri!
Ah, Captain, please wait!

Watase ran towards the door, Kazami's voice growing fainter and fainter with each step.

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

Wh... what the hell... is this!?

An iron wall was lying just a short distance away from the top of the stairs.

By the time he came to his senses, Kazami and the others were standing right behind him.

Wh-what do you mean, 'there you have it'...!?
The truth of the matter is that all exits to the surface are currently blocked off by this 'bulkhead'-- Meaning we're trapped down here in LABO's basement floors.
Trapped!? Why!?
...I don't know. That said, the PA did say that they were looking down all bulkheads leading to the surface at the same time it announced the Case N. So there's probably no way out...
You can't be serious...!

No, she is in fact quite Sirius. Oh god I'm sorry I'll show myself out now

Can't you just contact someone on the outside and ask them to open it up!?
We can't get in touch with 'em. All the landline phones here are dead, and the radio was working good enough at first... But then reception kept getting worse and worse for some reason, and now our chances of reaching them are pretty much zilch.
Wha...!? Then can't we just break it or force it open!?

Watase tried pounding his fists on the bulkhead. But it didn't budge an inch.

Goddammit! Open up, you piece of poo poo!

But no matter how hard he punched, kicked, or pushed it, nothing changed. It didn't look like something that could be dealt with human hands alone.

Khh... looks like we can't do anything to it without any explosives or something...!
Hate to break it to you, but we don't have any. We can't destroy it with the equipment we have on hand.
Though it's annoying to admit... this bulkhead has completely split the basement and surface apart.

Watase finally understood the situation when he heard Kazami and Jun's comments. But it was a hard pill to swallow.

Isn't there any other possible way out of here...?
...Negative. We've tried all sorts of things ourselves in the two hours we've been trapped here, but nothing worked. We can't go through the air ducts. All the elevators are out of order. And we can't break the ceiling.
What's worse, this facility is supposed to have this flawless sprinkler system-- But it's not working for some reason. So we don't just have fires breaking out all over the place, but we've got no way to find out where they're coming from.
Wh... what the hell!? Then we're in real deep poo poo now, aren't we!? We're all full of radiation, there's fire everywhere, and we can't even get outside!? Why the hell is this--

I like amnesiac Watase. He has all the right ways of reacting to situations.

Please calm down! Having a rescue captain lose his cool will only make matters worse!
She's right, Captain! Can't you see that all you're doing is scaring poor Yuuri to death?!

With realization hitting him in full force, Watase looked at Yuuri. She was hiding behind Jun and looking at him with trembling eyes.

Ah... I—I'm sorry.

Kazami and Jun were right: he couldn't show such disgraceful behavior in front of a frail girl like Yuuri. Regardless of his amnesia, Watase had most likely come down to the basement floors in order to ''rescue people''. But at that moment, he was hit by a sudden question.

Oh, come to think of it... what were you doing here in LABO, Yuuri?

Just then, a tearful look appeared on Yuuri's face for some reason.

Wh-what's wrong?
I—I'm... Um... I'm family to one of the people who work here. And so... I happened to get caught up in all this by bad luck...
I see... that's a disaster for you.

Watase turned to his thoughts as he kept looking at Yuuri.

(It really has been a disaster... for all of us. I really wish we could all get out of here...!)

But he knew it wasn't that simple. In the first place, there was still way too much that he didn't know about his current situation. Why wouldn't the bulkhead open up? Why wasn't the sprinkler system working? Why had he lost his memories? And--

Say, Tachibana... what's our next move?
...I'd like to explain that to you in detail.
We've got a simple makeshift base set up nearby, so let's head there first.

They had no choice but to go along with what she said. And so the group's shoulders slumped as they proceeded down the staircase.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Stating pretty much the obvious here, but in the intro Watase seemed to be specifically looking for Yuuri and calling her "a person of interest to this lab" and yet she appears to be lying about why she's here. She's also eager to get the hell out but then again who wouldn't be in this situation.

Had we been voting here I would've gone for low for Yuuri.

And top for Jun because she's a cute suicide squad chief

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Yeah from what I can gather from the intro it looks like Watase, Dojima and Hiyama knew more than we saw and where looking for something, at least Watase before the amnesia knew more about the situation then the rest I think and the fact that Yuuri was scared of him when they met later makes me think that something happened that we didn't see because we saw then meet and then Watase was alone in the next scene.

Also if Dojima and Hiyama are also involved in something I suspect Kazami also is because she is the same rank as then so if they knew more she must knew too I guess.

In conclusion I trust only Jun 100% right now.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Base: 09/16/2030, 09:30

You know, I'm only now really remembering how little time actually passes in these chapters. You really do get to experience everything that happens.

This is our makeshift base. Whenever you want to enter a room, all you have to do is press this button here and the door will open right up.

Kazami pressed a button next to the door, causing it to open up just as she'd said it would.

Various pieces of machinery-- apparently the equipment that Kazami and Jun had brought with them-- were lying in a corner.

I'll explain the structure of LABO to you first, Captain. Please come over here.
Yeah, much appreciated.

Kazami took a pen from the desk and drew a simple map on the back of a piece of paper.

This is another segment you should be paying attention to. This entire thing about how LABO's layout functions will throw up a fairly interesting question about the prologue if you've been paying attention to that and the rest of this update. I'll tell you what it is in the next update, so see if you can get on the same wavelength as I am on. It's not even something you need to have knowledge of the rest of the game to notice - when you think about it, it's actually a quite natural question.

Area N is surrounded by six other areas. Each area has an inner ring and an outer ring, with the former being slightly smaller than the latter. Furthermore, each area has four floors in total-- two surface floors and two basement floors-- However, as I informed you earlier, all the entrances and exits that lead to the surface are blocked by bulkheads.
I see... meaning we can only access floors B1 and 82. So where are we now?
Right here--

We found you lying right around here, in the inner ring of Area 1.

But we were unable to find any other survivors apart from you and Ms. Yuuri. And naturally, the same goes for any escape routes.

And with the exception of one located in Area 2's inner ring, all of the staircases have collapsed due to the explosions.
...So what you‘re saying is that we'll have to go to Area 3 next if we hope to possibly find any more survivors or other ways out of here.
No, we can't do that either.
Why not?
All passageways connecting to other areas have 'security gates' set up in them. Remember how there was a gate blocking the connecting passageway to this area on our way here?

Those gates are locked, and to open them, you'll need a 'security card' like this one.

Kazami took a card out of her pocket at those words.

I found this card lying in a passageway by chance shortly after we began searching.

It was a small plastic card that had a lanyard attached to it so it could be worn around the neck. On the front was the mug shot and name of a man who appeared to work at the facility, and the words ''Lv. 2''.

Level 2...?
It appears that this lab has different security levels that correspond to each area's confidentiality level.

But you'll need a card whose security level corresponds to the appropriate area to get into them; a Level 3 card for Area 3, a Level 4 card for Area 4, and so on. But all we have right now is a Level 2 card.
Then we can't go any farther?
Well, if we find the right card, it'll be possible for us to get into other areas, of course, but...
We've searched the place from head to toe and that's the only card we found, y'see. Guess the only place we haven't looked is your pockets.
Worth a check...

''Yeah right, like I'm going to find a Level 3 card just conveniently sitting around in my pockets...'' In spite of that thought, Watase decided to search through his pockets, and--

...!? I... I found one.
Huh!?
Impossible!
No, I'm totally serious. Take a look.

They read ''Keiji Ukita'' and ''Zenshu Kakei''. And they both said ''Lv. 4''.

Level 4!? Holy crap, now we can get all the way into Area 4 with this baby!
But why do you have a Level 4- no, make that -two— Level 4 cards, Captain?
Beats me...

Thinking there might be more clues in them, Watase checked his other pockets-- and found another strange item in his other breast pocket.

An official Sirius PDA. I have one as well.
What's a PDA?

Tips posted:

TIP: PDA

Personal Digital Assistant. For a period of time, the miniaturization of notebook PCs had lost significant market share to the advancement of cellphone functionality, but the global spread of smartphones with PDA-like functionality revived interest. That said, there is essentially no boundary between PDAs and smartphones nowadays. Some people might say that the PDA market was absorbed into the smartphone market and disappeared, but the newest marketing trend is to revive the term PDA after it had already largely lost familiarity with young people. The perceived freshness of the word fans up consumer interest. The devices used by Watase and the others are special models provided only to Sirius members and are equipped with radio and thermography functions not normally given to PDAs on the market.

A portable terminal. Nowadays, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who -doesn't- have one of these, rescue workers and civilians alike.

Tips posted:

TIP: Transmitter

At the end of the 20th Century, to relieve the new demand in wireless spectrums due to the boom in things like cellular phones and wireless LAN, the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications (now part of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications) sought effective wireless spectrum usage from all enterprises. In October 2003, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications made a partial revision to Radio Law-related examination standards, and in July 2005, they posted a notice of an expansion and cooperation of fire rescue radio systems and promotion of joint fire captain activities. All fire rescue radio systems were required to switch to digital by May 31, 2016. Advantages to digital radio systems are heightened secrecy, the capability of sending images or other data, and the ability to share information not tied to jurisdiction by expanding wireless frequencies. On the other hand, digital radio has the disadvantages of higher susceptibility to interference and around half the range of analog, necessitating the use of on-board or handheld relay stations. These two weak points have put the members of Sirius who rushed into LABO in a tough position.

How do you use it?
It's a touchpad, so all you have to do is press this part of the screen here...

Watase tried tapping the screen as he listened to Kazami's instructions.

Resisting the urge to make a hothead joke so hard right now.

So that means anything that's red is carrying heat?
It may be simple, but it can be very handy in the right situation.
I see...

Let me check...

Watase tried just pressing anything that looked potentially helpful. But it didn't look like he'd be able to access any of the data folders. They were all looked with a password.

It needs a password... Any idea what it might be?
That's a negative, obviously.
Oh, by the way, the phone doesn't work down here, and the radio's pretty much useless right now.
Yeah, I remember you telling me that before...

Despite that, Watase decided to try and use the phone function. He first attempted to call ''Dojima'', the co-worker that Kazami had mentioned earlier-- --But all he heard was the sound of a dead dial tone. He next tried to use the radio function to contact ''Hiyama'', his other co-worker. But all he heard this time was static. It was the same with every other number and frequency he tried to contact.

...Dammit, this piece of junk’s worth crap right now. If I could only figure out the password, then I might be able to find some clues...
Why don't you try typing in whatever comes to mind?

Um... I don't think that's a good idea...
Huh?
Why not?
U-um... That PDA'S important to you, so... you'd be in a lot of trouble if you broke it by accident...
Y-yeah, good point...

Watase put the PDA away.

By the way, guys, what's all that gear you brought here do?
Ah, you forgot that too, huh? Well, time's short, so I'll have to give you an abridged explanation.
Thanks, sorry to make you do this.

Jun nodded and pointed to the equipment lying in the corner.

Just to recap, it's a drug that protects your body from radiation for an hour.
So this is all that's keeping us alive now, huh...
Yep. With the ones they gave us and what we found lying around, we've got a total of seven doses.
Hmm? What exactly do you mean by 'the ones we found lying around'?
Seems that there's a bunch of boxes full of AD in this place that were stashed away in case of an emergency. Unfortunately, looks like most of the stockpile in Areas 1 and 2 went up in flames.
So there's seven ampules for the four of us... which means that we'll only last for two more hours at this rate?
It'd sure make things easier if we found more, wouldn't it? So we'll keep our eyes peeled for more as we go.

It's basically the latest model of Geiger counters. This little sucker can measure and quantify radiation levels up to 15,000 msV. The Procyon and AD were given to use by LABO's staff. They've both been a real big help, to say the least.
(Yeah, they really are handy... it's almost like the staff gave them to us knowing what was to come.)
Hey, quit staring off into space. I'm moving on to the next item.

Tips posted:

TIP: Air tank
Category: Nonfiction

A rescue tool that can be a literal lifeline to rescue workers and survivors during a rescue dispatch. lt lasts only around 20 to 30 minutes with intense usage, but if necessary, it can hold oxygen for long periods of time. In the case of a fire, however, it's normally filled with regular air. Since the faceplates were damaged in Sirius' suits, the air tanks could no longer be used for respiration. However, the air tank could still be used to inflate the air jack mat, or as a power source for air cutters and air saws depending on the situation. Thus, the air tank is a versatile, practical tool for rescue work.

But all our faceplates are damaged, so it's not much good to us now.
I see... That's too bad, it looked really important too.

Tips posted:

TIP: Air jack

A mat-shaped airbag that can lift things when in?ated. One of the rescue squad's tools used to clear heavy objects. Used in vehicular accidents to lift cars or other similar situations. Though many situations call for the seemingly simple task of ''lifting objects'', the situation and the object can vary widely. When using an air jack, careful consideration must be used as to the size and shape of the mat. Depending on the situation, portable winches or hydraulic jacks are used as well.

It's a powerful jack that you combine with an air tank to create compressed air that you can use to move heavy objects.
So you use it with the air tank? I mean, I'm guessing you can only use it a limited amount of times, but still.
With the faceplates damaged, that's the -only- use it has.

...I don't like the look on your face, Jun.

Tips posted:

TIP: Engine cutter

A cutting tool consisting of a circular saw rotated by an engine's drive motor. A diamond saw blade can cut through tough things like iron, concrete, or vehicles. Cutting can either be dry or wet. Dry cutting is the simple rotation of the blade, while wet cutting uses a water tank to reduce friction and cool the machine. The rescue squad uses dry cutting because it allows the machine to be more lightweight and easier to handle.

Its electric engine is powered by a strong internal battery! This baby and her artificial diamond blade can slice through iron and pretty anything else like it was butter!
...Could you not get so... excited about it? That look in your eyes is scaring me.
Eheh, I get that a lot.

Yeah, no prob.
Incidentally, we also had two 'radiation protection suits'..

Tips posted:

TIP: Radiation protection suit

Special protective clothing used when working in environments at risk for radiation. Formal name: ''radiation protection firefighting suit''. There are two types: one that emphasizes prevention of internal exposure by absorption, and one that focuses on shielding from radiation. The former doesn't fully protect you from external radiation, so you need to have a dosimeter handy and pay attention to radiation exposure amounts at all times. The latter uses lead or other dense materials to shield from radiation, and is thus quite heavy. Thus, careful consideration must be used to choose the best suit for the job. Some protection suits have an inner and outer layer with both sets of properties. Both sorts of suits are weak against water, so when there is danger of getting wet, a protective hooded anorak suit is worn on top of the protection suit. The protection suits used by Sirius are prepared with the assumption that they will be used in a nuclear disaster, and thus have both aforementioned properties, as well as fire resistance, water resistance, and secrecy.

But they got damaged while we were putting out fires, so we can't use them anymore.

Kazami pointed to two ragged objects. Both protection suits had cracked faceplates.

They were fine pieces of equipment with excellent fire and water resistance, airtight, and even allowed you to connect an air tank directly to their facepieces-- But since they're damaged now, the air tank‘s no longer useful.
That's too bad...!
But wait a sec... Captain, weren't you wearing a protective suit too? What happened to it?
Huh? Hmm... maybe I took it off because it was hard to move in or something?
Impossible! We were all required to wear the protective suits to carry out our rescue activities in this facility from the start.
I-I see... But sorry, I don't know why. That's another thing you can chalk up to my amnesia.

Not only had he had two security cards on him, but he also hadn't been wearing his protective suit-- there were just too many mysteries about Watase's actions before he lost his memories.

(Seriously... what in the world was I -doing- in the basement floors?)

There was probably no one out there who could answer that question. Watase then spoke with a sigh.

By the way... what're you guys planning to do now?
Well, now that we have Level 4 cards, I believe that we should be able to greatly expand our search area. However...
What about you, Captain? Maybe it'd be better for you to rest?
Seeing as how you haven't remembered anything yet, I'm inclined to agree.
Yeah, maybe you're right...

Just as Watase was about to take them up on their offer--

!
...?

She still had fear in her eyes. He remembered the voice that he'd heard back when they'd rescued her.

--He suddenly began wondering if it was really okay for him to just sit around in this room.

(ls saving Yuuri and simply leaving it at that all right? No...!)

With his mind made up, Watase called out to Kazami and Jun.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

W-wait...! Let me help out with rescuing any other survivors!
Huh? But--
You sure you'll be okay, Captain?
It's true that I don't remember all that much and that I might just be a burden in your eyes... But that doesn't change that I'm still a rescue worker, right? So I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I just sat on the sidelines while you're all still hard at work.

Watase was stirred on by an almost impulsive sense of duty. Kazami's eyes widened. She then gave a wry smile.

...Sheesh, some things just never change...
...?

Her face then suddenly grew serious again.

Captain. Normally, I would not recommend that you come with us, what with the cause of your amnesia still unknown. But taking into consideration the fact that there are still fires out there and that we need to keep injecting you with AD... Perhaps letting you come with us would be the safest course of action.
All right! Then--

Oh hey, another blue branch.

So this one's the first one that involves three people. I guess we'll see what this one does - or maybe not. I recall some of the blue branches being kind of opaque apart from the favor changes.

...!
You will be treated as a new recruit until you regain your memory. I ask that you follow my orders just as Moribe does. I know this is a severe violation of my station, but trust me when I say your life could be in grave danger if you don't do as I say... Please try to understand.
...!

At this point, we get a +1 with Jun.

He felt overwhelmed by the words your life could be in grave danger. He instinctively turned away from Kazami and looked at Jun.

...You know Captain, you can still back out if you're scared. This mission is the craziest I‘ve seen. There's no guarantee you‘ll survive even with a body as well—trained as yours. So you don't have to feel embarrassed or anything about resting here.

However, Jun's considerate words only served to give Watase the encouragement he needed.

No, I can do this!
...Yep, that's the spirit. You sound like you'll be okay. Then I guess that makes us equals for now, even if it's just temporary, so let's get along, okay?
Y-yeah. I hope I can keep up with you both.
C'mon, don't be so hard on yourself! Trust me, once you get your memories back, you'll be back to the Captain we all know and admire!
She's right. That's something we're both looking forward to.
Mmm, I see...

His old self must have been someone amazing if Kazami and Jun were counting on him so much.

(So I have to live up to their expectations as soon as possible...!)

With that thought in mind, Watase turned to Yuuri.

What about you, Yuuri? Do you want to rest here?

A look of hesitation briefly flashed by Yuuri's face after she heard that question... but she answered quickly.

N-no... I'll... go with you...

She'd probably realized just how grim the situation was after listening to the group's conversation.

(I'd feel better if she were with us too...)

Kazami spoke up as that thought crossed Watase's mind.

Then it's settled: the four of us will head for Area 3 next.
Then let's decide what equipment to take with us! You help out too, Captain!
Y-yeah, on it!

--And so the group quickly decided on their gear. First, they took all seven AD, splitting them up amongst Watase, Kazami, and Jun. Watase and Jun each took one Procyon. Meanwhile, Watase and Kazami split the Level 4 cards amongst themselves. Watase also took the 10 m rope, wrapping it around his upper body in an ''X'' shape.

--Is everyone ready?
Whenever you are.
...Yes.
Then let's go! Don‘t slow us down, Captain!
Roger that! I'll give it all I've got!

''I don't know what I can do in my condition, but I'll still do my best--'' Watase swore to that, then left the makeshift base alongside Kazami and the others.

So, next time, we'll be treading new ground! That sounds exciting! Then again, everything around here is pretty much new ground for both us and Watase - we're just kinda taking Kazami's and Jun's word for it that there's nothing in levels 1 and 2. Hm.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
One thing that I noticed from the prologue is that the place where you find Yuuri is in Area 5 outer ring according to the map in the corner there:

And that is strange since it looks like Watase only has Area 4 cards so how did he get there? Also in the same prologue it looks like him and Dojima and Hiyama where going to Area N and I wouldn't suprised that needs a card too so if he was going there he knew he was able to enter the place, so he either had a card or to enter there you don't need one.

That's te only weird stuff I can see when you look back at the prologue :shrug:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

IceBorg posted:

One thing that I noticed from the prologue is that the place where you find Yuuri is in Area 5 outer ring according to the map in the corner there:

And that is strange since it looks like Watase only has Area 4 cards so how did he get there? Also in the same prologue it looks like him and Dojima and Hiyama where going to Area N and I wouldn't suprised that needs a card too so if he was going there he knew he was able to enter the place, so he either had a card or to enter there you don't need one.

That's te only weird stuff I can see when you look back at the prologue :shrug:

Ayup, that's basically what I'm getting at. Assuming that there were no malfunctions in the security system (kind of a big assumption, but if it still works on the lower levels, it should still work on the higher ones), and assuming that Area N has higher security than the rest of LABO (a reasonable assumption, I'd say) the gist of my question is:

1) The Watase/Dojima/Hiyama group apparently had "level N" security clearance at some point, otherwise they couldn't have gotten into Area N.
2) Watase himself had level 5 security clearance at some point after that to get to level 5 to find Yuuri.
3) And somehow, Watase not only lost that card, but somehow picked up not just one, but two level 4 cards in the meantime? What happened here?

I find it interesting because this one thing - learning that Watase has two level 4 cards in his pocket - throws up several questions, questions where the answers seem to be pretty multi-faceted. This process of Watase going from having "level N" security clearance to level 4 security clearance needs multiple steps to happen, and we don't really know jack poo poo about any of them. Not to mention that whole thing about Yuuri being on level 5 to begin with, which just kind of hopes to slip in under the radar, and her somehow moving from level 5 to level 1 between whatever happened between her and Watase and him being found by Jun and Kazami.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Watase was on a "mission" in the intro so him (plus Dojima and Hiyama?) somehow having high-level security clearance isn't too surprising if you assume that it involved more than just regular firefighting duties. After all, why is he in what seems to be Area N "at the end of his mission"? We saw two dead bodies too so it's not much of a stretch to assume these are their cards. As for the missing card, who knows at this point. My wild plot twist guess is that he never had one and the doors actually also have facial recognition sensors or something and we'll spend most of the game looking for cards when we actually could just waltz right through any door, anytime. :v:

What might be weirder is that Kazami and Jun don't seem to have gotten any cards of their own or even the memo about Watase's clearance level. Or maybe they did know, it's hard to tell whether Jun was giving a "subtle" hint or just honestly spitballing with that check your pockets comment.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Honestly I'm enjoying this possibly more as fire rescue procedure edutainment than as a suspense thriller.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Well the bulkheads and security gates didn't lockdown until the nuclear reactor went into meltdown, and before that all the gates were open so people could evacuate. There's still a lot of unanswered questions, but that could explain why some people had access to areas they weren't supposed to have.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alright. How could they have gotten that far in without keycards?

A. They did the classic firefighter technique of chopping down doors with axes-
Not possible, the doors are metal.

B. Some doors were already open-
Not possible, the doors shut after use.

Well, that's two lines of rational reasoning gone, so I'll go with THE MORPHOGENIC FIELD DID IT.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 11, 2016

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Logicblade posted:

Well the bulkheads and security gates didn't lockdown until the nuclear reactor went into meltdown, and before that all the gates were open so people could evacuate. There's still a lot of unanswered questions, but that could explain why some people had access to areas they weren't supposed to have.

The trip with Dojima and Hiyama to Area N is before the lockdown so that's fine, but the shot of the Area 5 hallway is after the lockdown, plus he returns to Area N where he meets the "monster" (it doesn't say it's another part of Area N but it definitely looks like a central area).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ProfessorProf posted:

Honestly I'm enjoying this possibly more as fire rescue procedure edutainment than as a suspense thriller.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I'm actually somewhat disappointed that we're guaranteed to run into weird anime poo poo at some point.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Okay, so this is just to summarize what (I think) I know, or can guess, into this post as a starting point.

To start off with, Rokumei City is a "top secret" city which, while exceedingly vague, does not seem to imply good things. I'm getting serious Umbrella vibes off this place. Insofar as we have background information, this seems to be the most important fact, that whatever is going on here is so important (and secret) that only those directly involved in this research, their families and necessary support personnel (such as the most highly trained Hyper Rescue Team Sirius) are living in this city of 200,000.

Given the careful wording of some of the tips, it seems to me that these scientists are in the business of exposing biological materials (possibly including, at the most ethically-challenged level, human beings) to radiation, probably including neutron radiation. They may just be trying to to create anti-radiation serums even better than Alone Desire, or possibly attempting to study the effects of DNA damage, perhaps even attempting to induce beneficial mutations (probably all at once). If humans are being used as test subjects, Yuuri may be among their number.

On to the (speculated) series of events.
1. Explosions everywhere.
2. Hyper Rescue Team Sirius arrives on-scene
3. They divide into two two-man cells, with Captain Kasasagi staying near the surface to command. It appears that the Captain, along with Dojima and Hiyama (whom I will term A team), have a secondary mission, as opposed to Tachibana and Moribe (B team) who seem to only be aware of the stated purpose.
4. At the first sign that A team might require assistance with their mission, the Captain is willing to abandon his command responsibilities, leaving B team without means of communication.
5. A teams mission seems to be at least partially to rescue two specific individuals from the depths of Area N. There seems to be an element of 'atonement' for them in this.
6. They come across what is presumed to be their targets, who have apparently been stabbed to death. They express dismay that they could not accomplish their goal, but express no surprise or confusion about the violent death. Area, considering its later stated purpose, is curiously verdant.
7. Some unknown amount of time later, Kasasagi takes it upon himself to save Yuuri, a 'person of interest' to the lab. He finds her in Area 5, where she does not seem to afraid of him, in contrast to both her later position and outlook.
8. Later, again, he seems to be trying to linkup to A team again, entering an area similar to the earlier 'Area N' including the glass structure near the middle, though with much less greenery. Was the earlier 'Area N' the ground floor, with this one being underground?
9. Kasasagi is attacked by a (man? woman?) in a suit and (red?) tie, referred to thereafter as a 'monster'. The CG seems to show a struggle with the Captain holding a gun in a manner suggesting he had it the whole time, and implying another 'objective' was to kill this monster. A broken wristwatch is worn by the 'monster'. The Captain feels an extraordinary amount of pain in his head, in a manner implying that the 'monster' has psychic powers.
10. Kasasagi flees, attempting to reach somewhere the creatures power cannot reach. He seemingly fails, and suffers a trauma that renders him unconscious and gives him amnesia.

TL;DR I think we were the bad guy

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

whitehelm posted:

The trip with Dojima and Hiyama to Area N is before the lockdown so that's fine, but the shot of the Area 5 hallway is after the lockdown, plus he returns to Area N where he meets the "monster" (it doesn't say it's another part of Area N but it definitely looks like a central area).

The place is initially in 'Evacuation Mode' where all gates except the Area N ones are open, so it's still not fine. Area N doors are at no point open without authorization.

I don't think the verdant place with the dead bodies is Area N at all though. For one, when guy 1 says "this is Area N" (when they're past/behind a gate), guy 2 says "those two are trapped just ahead" which kinda sounds like the two are not actually inside Area N. Not sure. Anyway, the narration there is jumping all over the place: in the next shot they seem to be in a fairly girly looking bedroom, the verdant room comes after that. I wonder if it all plays out in chronological order but it doesn't seem like there's reason to doubt that at the moment.

Extra trivia:
- Based on the colors of the monster's suit it might be the same uniform as what route B's perspective guy is wearing. WHO COULD IT BE
- The broken wristwatch is pointing at 6:19 sharp, the time of the explosion.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

This is a good post. Not because it's right (obviously), but because it works in a lot of small things that add up to the bigger picture. Things like the "atonement" factor, which consists entirely of a blink-and-you'll-miss-it comment, but can be a critical point in Team A's motives. The fact that Watase had a gun in that one CG with the "monster", which also casts a lot of doubt on what exactly he was here to do. This game will definitely pull some of those minor factors out at a way later point in time, when they suddenly become plot-critical. And then some of them are complete and utter red herrings. Y'know, just to gently caress with you.

EDIT: But what about we turn this conclusion on its head? You figure that Watase is a bad guy, but consider this: You've already compared LABO/Rokumei City to Umbrella, so why not accept that as a reasonable comparison. With that, we also accept that human experimentation is probably happening there. And of course, any attempts by test subjects to flee would be dealt with by use of lethal force. So what if Watase was trying to save the test subjects from LABO? That would explain why he had a gun - he'd be expecting some sort of a firefight breaking out with security once his cover is blown. Maybe the "monster" was such because of experimentation by LABO, and he was only acting in self defense? There's quite a few ways to interpret everything.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Teacher: 09/16/2030, 09:33

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

Kazami pointed to a terminal next to the gate.

You'll need a card every time you pass through a gate, even if you've already opened it once before.
Okay, I'll give it a shot.

He looked at Jun as he said this. She then pulled cut her Procyon and stared hard at it.

...What're you doing?
I need to check the radiation levels before we go into an area we haven't searched yet.
Remember, everything past this point is uncharted territory for us...

I don't know why this screenshot is so funny to me, but it is. Dead loving serious.

Watase took the card out as nervousness took hold of him-- And swiped it through the slot.

Watase and Jun both studied their Procyons carefully. The number was... ''1285 mSv''. Slightly higher than the reading they'd gotten at Area 1 earlier.

Okay, it's within safety standards!
What's that mean?
It means it's contaminated, but still relatively safe.
The safety standard is 'within 4000 mSv'. In other words, there's no danger of radiation contamination there so long as we've injected ourselves with AD. The first danger standard is '4000-8000 mSv'. This refers to an area we don't want to stay in for long even with AD. The second danger standard is 'over 8000 mSv', meaning that our lives are at great risk there even with AD.
...So basically, if we have AD, we'll be okay if the reading's within 4000 mSv. If it's over 4000 mSv, then it's a bit dangerous even if we have AD... And if it's over 8000 mSv, it's likely we'll die even with AD... did I get all that right?
Yes. The Procyon will beep if we're in a 'contaminated zone' that exceeds the danger standard. If you hear it beeping by any chance, then please get out of there ASAP.
Y—yeah... got it.

The group passed through the gate as they talked.

The walls had been burned to hell and back, and the ceiling was damaged too.

Holy crap...
It would appear that there were explosions here too.

And then, just when they'd finished rounding a corner-- The whole group gasped.

!?

♪ BGM: Foolishness

This loving music oh my god. Whenever this plays, something goofy is going to happen. Like our intrepid group of heroes rounding a corner and not running into rubble, fire or anything like that, no, instead they run into...

There was a woman dangling upside-down from the ceiling.

Mmph, mmph...!

It looked like she was sticking her lower torso into the air duct.

Wh-what in the world...!?
Well, uh, that's not something you see every day...

As Kazami and Jun stared in utter disbelief, the woman's eyes widened with shock.

Wh-who's there!?
Uh, we're rescue workers, ma'am...
Rescue workers!? Perfect timing! I'm stuck! Mind pulling me out?!
O-okay!
Moribe, stand right below the air duct! Make sure she doesn't land head first!
Roger! Okay then, ready, set...!

The rescue squad then frantically pulled the woman's body-- and safely rescued her.

♪ BGM: Achiever / Theme of Ena

The woman, now standing upright on the floor, said this with a bit of embarrassment in her voice. It seemed that she was also a survivor.

But... what were you doing?
Me? Well, you see...

The woman pointed to the air duct on the ceiling.

The gates suddenly shut for some reason and I got stuck in this passageway... so I tried to use the air ducts to get out of here. I somehow managed to climb all the way up there by using a cable dangling from the ceiling, but... I moved around the air duct only to nearly slide out, and, well, you know the rest.
You went through a lot, that's for sure... but you can't get out through those air ducts.
Really?
Yes. I checked it myself, but there's some sort of machine set up in the ducts. There's no way to pass through the section that leads to the surface.
Oh my, that's a shame. Well, I wasn't trying to get to the surface anyway-- just out of this passageway.

(Don't tell me... she doesn't know what's going on right now?)

With that thought weighing on his mind, Watase faced the woman and called out.

Do you work for this place?
No, I'm a high school teacher at 'Rokumei Academy'.
Rokumei Academy?
Huh, you've never heard of it? It's this specialty school in the city limits.

Now that he thought about it, her smartly dressed attire was befitting of a teacher. But it was covered in soot, just like the rest of the group. She'd probably been through the wringer.

So anyway, you guys are rescue workers, right? Then could you get me out of this place?

She looked at Watase with eyes full of expectation. But all he could do was answer her with a bit of guilt in his heart.

About that--

The woman's face grew more and more pale the further he explained about their current predicament. It only got worse when he told her that the phones and radios were down and the elevators weren't working. But it wasn't until she heard the part about how there was no way to the surface that she finally started shouting desperately.

No way... What do you mean, 'the bulkheads are shut'!?
We can't figure out why it happened either...!
Then why don't you just destroy the drat thing with some sort of special equipment or something!?
We've tried everything we can! But not even our engine cutter could make a dent in that thing!
We can't destroy the bulkhead with any of the equipment we have on hand.
Hmph! I never thought a rescue squad could be this useless!

Uh oh, Jun isn't happy. Better watch out what you say, she's the one with the engine cutter!

It's true that -we- can't destroy it with our equipment-- but the workers on the surface should have explosives with them. So it's only a matter of time before that bulkhead is destroyed and reinforcements come. So please try to understand for now.
I see, then I guess there's nothing you can do about it.

The woman let out an exasperated sigh.

Now wait just a minute, lady...!

Kazami held back Jun as the latter snarled angrily.

More importantly, we need to give her some AD.
Oh, you're right! She’ll be in big trouble without it!
AD? What's that?
Well you see, it's--

Kazami explained AD to the woman. She also told her about the radiation filling the facility, the danger standards, and the Procyon. The woman's attitude took a complete 180 after she'd heard all that.

R-radiation...!?
That's correct. Furthermore, subjective symptoms of radiation damage easily appear in the internal organs, skin, and eyes. Are you experiencing any nausea, skin pain, or blurry vision?
No, I think I'm feeling okay...
Good. Then you'll be fine as long as we give you some AD now.
But you'd better do it quick, you hear? If you don't, then you won't be around to keep telling us off like that.
'O... okay. Then all I have to do is inject myself with this?
Righto, now that's better.

Jun held the AD out to the woman. She proceeded to quickly inject herself with it.

So I'll be okay now... right?

She was now a lot calmer and quieter, showing no signs of the hysterical woman that'd been yelling at them just a few minutes ago. It seemed she finally understood the situation she was in.

Phew... by the way, what's your name?
...'Ena Tsubakiyama'. And you guys?

The group promptly answered Ena's question.

I'm Lieutenant Tachibana. This is Ensign Moribe.
And this girl is Yuuri, a civilian we found trapped down here.

Y-yes...

Yuuri gave this timid answer, then followed up with a question of her own.

Why are you here, Professor Tsubakiyama...?

Yuuri politely referred to Ena as Professor. Ena appeared to be used to being called that, as she answered Yuuri's question without the slightest hint of awkwardness.

Me? l was summoned here by one of the staff who work here. But then this explosion came out of nowhere, and next thing I know, everyone's panicking... It was so crazy that before I knew it, I was stuck here.
...Talk about being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Hey, why're you acting like it's not your problem? You're a rescue worker, so aren't you supposed to be nicer to the people you save?

Another blue decision point, this time asking our opinion of Ena. I have a bit of an idea what I'll do with all these characters showing up without yellow decision points - two updates after this one, we'll have at least seen all of the nine characters on the Enneagram in some way. Then we'll have one big round of voting for our Senses for Yuuri, Ena and hte other four, and then I'll just ask for new votes at yellow or red decision points.

For now, I stick with the middle.

Ena glared at Watase.

...While we're at it, you're the only one whose name I haven't heard yet. Who are you?
Oh, I'm Watase Kasasagi. I'm this squad's captain... sorta.
So you're the captain? You're not exactly instilling much confidence with that whole 'sorta' business.
Please don't be so harsh. I get that you're not happy about being stuck in this situation, but still...
See, there you go again, acting like this isn't your problem.

Watase winced and shut his mouth as Ena nagged him again.

(But still... isn't it a bit odd for a high school teacher to be in a place like this?)

Watase quietly stared at Ena's face.

What is it, Captain Kasasagi? Have I got something on my face?
Oh, no, nothing like that, really...

Kazami spoke up as Watase awkwardly tried to cover up for himself.

Now then, let's press onwards. There might be other survivors.

The group started walking again at that suggestion. There was a security gate at the end of the passageway, but a swipe of the security card quickly took care of it.

And with that, the group of five entered Area 3.

• Locked thread