Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

TheMcD posted:

Well, I didn't plan to 100% the game throughout this entire LP. What I have planned can be summed up thus: "Show off all the endings and everything unique that happens on the way there". The fact of the matter is that this game has a fuckton of poo poo. I found a walkthrough that shows off how to get all the endings, which I will be using, but there doesn't seem to be anything that would allow me to easily work out how to 100% the game, i.E. see all the scenes. I mean, just look above - apparently I completely missed a scene I never knew existed, and while I found a walkthrough that would get me that scene, that walkthrough doesn't get Senior & Junior, the chapter I got before, so there's probably stuff missing there too.

Basically, I'd probably throw myself out a window before I managed to work out how to get all the scenes. Unless somebody has a guide that tells me how to get everything, "all endings" is the benchmark I'm setting.

EDIT: For reference, I think when I first beat the game (i.E. getting the ultimate True End), I had seen about 75% of the scenes.

TheMcD:

I...wasn't aware that you need a high favor for Kazumi to make the yellow decision for Instill appear (it looks like you only needed one extra +1)

I don't think you should 100% everything either, but some of the bonus scenes are probably a bigger deal than the bad/normal endings, and they unlock epilogues at the end of the game if you get them all.Here's the guide I used https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1svf8q-WESCb3CWo7g_yVgz0E91T40xa86dtkLgBR_ug/

(more explicit info about how the bonus scenes work) Each female (3 in Route A, 3 in B) has a series of 6 extra scenes that have to be unlocked in order, which I'll call A-F. Instill is Kazumi A, and Senior & Junior is Jun A. If you miss one of them, then the yellow decision to trigger the next scene in the series doesn't appear and it's automatically skipped along with the rest of the series. When you see an F scene, then a flag is triggered and that character gets an epilogue scene permanently unlocked after the final, true ending. So you're not just missing Instill, you've got 6 more scenes locked out.

The other tricky part about getting them is that while you can see all the Route B scenes in one playthrough, there are branches in Route A where Watase chooses which of the 3 women to split off with (in Factory and 9-3). Ena C can only be triggered by going with her in Factory, and Kazumi E,Jun D/E, Ena D are all in the 9-3 branch. You have to reload after seeing each F scene to get the others.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

CirclMastr posted:

Clearly THIS is what is meant by Watase's voice in his head saying "Save her", so let's put Watase on top and Kazami on high so he mans up and does something to save her.

I trust CirclMastr.

Also frankly we know who the real villain of this story is right guys?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Totally wrong gridlocked, though I will grant that it is a masterfully written red herring. When we take off the monster's mask, I guarantee we will find Dojima's face. The wound on his neck could easily be self inflicted by one with medical training, such as a member of a Hyper Rescue Team (I adore this thread just for letting me find that particular gem), and none of his limbs is bent in a way that would be out of place for someone who knows how to dislocate his limbs. As for the fingers, well, if movies and games have taught me anything, its that you can just snap those back into place, good as new.

EDIT: So apparently, if these bonuses unlock epilogues, it looks like you ARE going to have to go back and get all of them McD. :D

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 27, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Prove me wrong

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

whitehelm posted:

things about epilogues

OddHaberdasher posted:

EDIT: So apparently, if these bonuses unlock epilogues, it looks like you ARE going to have to go back and get all of them McD. :D

Ah, poo poo. I didn't know that that was the way the epilogues worked. Yeah, then I'm probably going to have to run that walkthrough in its entirety at the end. Well, I'll just do what I always do and completely ignore it until it becomes absolutely necessary, which should be quite some time off.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Logicblade posted:

I think in this circumstance we should have Watase's senses higher than Kazami's. If this works the way I think it does, he'll be more inclined to take the broken AD than Kazami. Considering he's a man with a stronger body, the radiation should have a lesser effect on him than Kazami.

Let's go Top for Watase, and Neutral for Kazami.

This is what I figured too. It seems like this is the first opportunity to start finding out what AD really does, so even if taking a small dose leads to death by radiation it's a route we should take.

Of course it's harder to tell what choice leads to that option, so I'll just agree with Logicblade on this one.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Shortage: 09/16/2030, 10:16 - Part 2

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

code:
Watase:

Top:    IIIIII
High:   I
Middle: 
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((6*8)+(1*6)+(0*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/7 = 7.714 = 8

Kazami:

Top:    
High:   IIIII
Middle: II
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((0*8)+(5*6)+(2*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/7 = 5.429 = 5
Well, you went all in on Watase this time around, with the rationale being that if Watase's Sense of himself was higher than Kazami's, he would insist on taking the broken AD because he felt that he would be able to bear it better than she could.

As you can tell from the fact that I put the title of the update down as ''Shortage Part 2'' and the fact that there wasn't a red path immediately popping up, it seems that we've made the right decision. However, as you can probably tell from the +1 to Kazami we got, that decision wasn't quite what you were expecting.

Kazami's face was brimming with determination. When Watase and Jun saw that, they realized that there was no use in trying to persuade her.

Moribe... let's do as Tachibana says.
Y-yeah...!

Watase and Jun hurriedly injected themselves with AD. Kazami also injected herself with the damaged AD-- She then turned to Ukita and the others and spoke.

...I apologize for causing you trouble. Now we've all finished injecting ourselves, correct?
R-right...!
Y-you're right.

They were most likely still taken aback from seeing the altercation between the rescue workers. Ukita and the others were now quiet, like their fight mere minutes ago had never happened.

Now then, with that roadblock out of the way... let's talk about our next move.

Kazami spoke with a calm voice, betraying none of the anxiety she must have felt from her coworker's death and the lack of AD.

First of all, we've more or less completed our search of Area 3, with the exception of the Bl outer ring. However, we can't get in because the security slot is broken. So we were planning on moving on to Area 4 next... but are all you non-rescue personnel all right?
D-define 'all right'.
What I mean is if you feel mentally fit to keep on searching... right after you've seen those corpses.
...!

Ukita and Yuuri gasped at those words-- but in contrast, Ena replied in a subdued tone.

Of course I'll keep on going.
I see. Then come with us.
B-but... that killer really could still be lurking around...!
You're still on about that, Mr. Ukita!? I get that you think it's too dangerous to move around, but if you want to stay here, then you're on your own. But if you -don't- move, you just might be waiting for death, right?
She's right. And besides, we have no AD right now... to be honest, it'd be better to have an extra helping hand with the search.
...There's also Lieutenant Tachibana's health to consider as well. We should help with the search to ensure we can get some AD as well.
Y-you make good points...

Ukita reluctantly nodded. It seemed even he with all his stubbornness had realized how harsh the situation was.

What do you want to do, Yuuri...?
... ...I-I'll come along with you guys.
Yes, it would be much safer that way. Having everyone within eyesight would be best.

Kazami then turned her head. She was looking at the Area 4 connecting passageway.

Then let's head over to the next area. Fortunately, it appears that security terminal is still intact.
...Yeah.

And with that low voice, the group started walking off again.

The core question in these Senses Sympathy System decisions that involve Watase is usually ''will having a high Sense of himself mean that Watase is MORE likely to take risks for the sake of others because he believes himself as a rescue worker, or does it mean that he's LESS likely to take risks for the sake of others because he values his life above others?''. I don't really have an answer, and I don't think the game does, either. But anyway, it looks like we avoided death this time, albeit not in the way you were expecting. And all you that were hoping about some revelations about AD, you're going to have to keep looking, it seems.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Electric Dragon 80000V: 09/16/2030, 10:22

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

There's multiple ominous ambience tracks in this game, and while they all sound different, I can't really describe any of them.

--They were totally out of AD. And they were still in a situation that left no margin for error.

Blue path, asking us about Kazami, who sits snug at 5.

The last time they'd taken AD was at ''10:16 AM''. They had to find 6 or more AD by the time their effects wore off at ''11:16 AM''. Even though they'd just learned that their coworker had died, there was no time to grieve. That was probably why Kazami was putting on such a brave face.

Pick up the pace, guys.
Yes.

Watase and Kazami said this, then broke off in a run down the connecting passageway.

everyone came to a dead stop.

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

A fire hose had been left lying around not too far ahead. Water poured out of it, creating a puddle in the passageway.

Oh come on, it's just a puddle. Let's get a move on already.
No, look more closely, Teach...

Watase pointed to the wall. Part of it had collapsed, most likely due to an explosion. Something that appeared to be a disconnected cable jotted out of there, touching the puddle and shooting sparks.

Is that a high voltage line...!?
What in the world caused this, and why?
Perhaps someone was trying to hose down something, and then this happened by coincidence.
(... Coincidence? Could something like this really have happened naturally?)

He thought this for a second, but then chose not to say anything.

Well, whatever caused it, we still need to think of a way to get past it.

Watase stared at the puddle intently. It was about 5 or so meters wide. If one were to get past that and pull the cable out of the puddle, then everyone else could walk through it normally. But the problem was that it was right in front of the curve, meaning there wasn't any room to get a running start. Watase took some lint out of his pocket and threw it into the puddle as a test. --That alone caused fierce sparks to flash.

Dammit, one step in this thing and we'll be toast...!

Tips posted:

TIP: Step voltage shock
Category: Nonfiction

In the same way that water flows from high heights to low heights, electricity flows from high voltages to low voltages. A step voltage shock happens when a voltage difference between two points about a meter apart (the size of a human step) causes electricity to flow. This is the reason why when lightning strikes, the electricity can move through the ground to shock someone nearby. Conversely, if there is no voltage difference between two points, no electricity will flow (and therefore no shock). If Watase snapped his feet together and stood perpendicularly, he could potentially avoid a shock.

But then again, that posture woold not allow for him to clear the electrified puddle of water in LABO. Also of note is that step voltage can explain why birds can safely perch on power lines. Both of their tiny feet contact the same power line. If they regularly stepped on two different lines, then the streets would be rife with fried chicken.

Are there any other ways into Area 4?
There should be. It'll be a bit roundabout, but let's take a detour.

As soon as Kazami said that, words poured out of Watase's head on instinct.

Wait, time's too short for that.
Huh? What do you plan on doing?
Oh come on, only 5 meters without a running start...? 'That distance is nothing to me'.

Watase said those words with a kind of confidence in him.

(Not only are we pressed for time, but Tachibana and Moribe must be real down after just having lost their squadmate... So I've got to do something myself in order to rally them up.)

He wanted to get rid of the depressed atmosphere that'd taken hold of them, even if it meant braving such a great danger.

Make some room, guys. C'mon, Mr. Ukita, Teach, you too.

Watase forced everyone to move to the edge of the passageway, clearing enough space for him.

Wait Captain, you're not gonna--!?

Jun shouted that once she realized what Watase was up to—-

(Watch me, Moribe!)

Watase ran right up to the puddle with the initial velocity of a three-step running start and jumped.

Hah!

!

Watase flinched for a moment, but the shock he was expecting never came. Most likely because the only part of him that'd landed in the puddle was his soles. They were probably made out of rubber or something. He heard Kazami calling out to him from behind.

Yeah, I'm fine! I'm gonna take care of the cable now!

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Okay, it should be safe now, guys!

No, hold on a sec, people! I'll go in first to check!

Jun approached the puddle just as Watase had said, and then stepped in it as softly as she possibly could. --But nothing happened.

...Yeah, it's okay! Looks safe now! C'mon guys, no need to worry!

As soon as they heard that, everyone ran through the puddle and up to Watase.

That was a close call, Captain Kasasagi... I think I had a heart attack from just watching that.
I pegged you as being more rational than that, but it appears you have this reckless side to you as well.
You scared the crap out of me! I mean, I knew your physical abilities were next to none, but still! So even though your memory's gone, you still remembered your physical limits, huh? That's our captain for you.

The gloom that'd covered Jun's face just minutes ago had receded greatly. Watase breathed a mental sigh of relief, and then turned to his thoughts.

(Was it that face that gave me the confidence to think I could pull that off...?)

Then it appeared it was his courage and willpower that determined whether or not he could act. But unlike everyone else, Kazami's reaction was cold.

Don't commend his actions, Moribe. And just what are you so happy about, Captain?
H... huh?
Disaster sites are no place to show off your physical abilities. If we have a safer plan of action available, then we need to take it.

Kazami really seems to be obsessed with this idea of taking the ''safe'' option, but that doesn't really apply here. They're on a hard time limit because of the lack of AD, so every ''safe detour'' could mean they're several minutes short of finding the AD they need to not die. While Watase was primarily motivated by wanting to be a morale booster (a viable idea in its own right - despair taking hold could severely impede chances of survival), in a situation like this, there are certain risks that simply need to be taken. You can't possibly work out whether the risk you're considering at the time is worth it or not, but that only means that there's no wrong answer here - but since Watase pulled it off, his answer automatically becomes the right one. I'll now be paying attention to when exactly we find the next batch of AD and how much time they had left before their last dosage would have run out.

Especially after... after what you did back in the Area 3 outer ring...!

Though Kazami's tone of voice was composed, there was a fiery anger behind her words.

I-I'm sorry! I got impatient again!

Kazami said nothing and glared at Watase. The rest of the group watched the proceedings from a distance. Finally, Kazami broke the silence with a sigh.

...Just so long as you understand that, that's fine. Though that said, let us not waste the extra time the captain has bought us. Onwards.

Kazami looked away from Watase in a huff and started walking off.

...Man, that sucks. You finally did something really cool, and all it got you was a scolding, huh?
Well, it wasn't baseless. What she said was completely right.

No matter how much strength and courage he had, unless he could make sound decisions, he was merely putting his own life in danger. That was probably what Kazami was trying to say.

(Well, it may have gotten me another lecture... but I'm glad that Tachibana and Moribe look like they're feeling better now.)

Watase and the others followed Kazami as that thought passed through his head.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 30, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Did that just play on autopilot? That at least seemed like a Senses scene.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
So far this has been a very entertaining, and informative, LP, but I think that the Senses system is a bit of a misstep. It's an interesting change on the formula of a VN, but with most other VN's you at least know what your character will (try) to do, and if you fail then it's a (usually) rational result of the action your character was trying to take. Here it's just all over the place. Does make for interesting voting, I will give it that.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Maybe the writers were feeling generous with the pacing of the game and didn't want to give you another red flag immediately after just having one which seems like it'll take effect later on. Guess I had the wrong idea, but it turned out for the best? Welp.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Given what Logic and Glazius have both said, I can't help but believe we're actually on a full speed course for a Dead End, even if this is completely at odds with how this game has operated so far.

EDIT: On second thought, this might be a spot where a bonus scene plays out, though that again doesn't seem right.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 30, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Glazius posted:

Huh. Did that just play on autopilot? That at least seemed like a Senses scene.

Yup, full autopilot.

OddHaberdasher posted:

So far this has been a very entertaining, and informative, LP, but I think that the Senses system is a bit of a misstep. It's an interesting change on the formula of a VN, but with most other VN's you at least know what your character will (try) to do, and if you fail then it's a (usually) rational result of the action your character was trying to take. Here it's just all over the place. Does make for interesting voting, I will give it that.

There's a reason the system is the way it is, I'll say that much.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Brain Cell: 09/16/2030, 10:26

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

What they found there was essentially the spitting image of Area 3. Jun checked her Procyon.

Contamination level is at '2164 mSv' right now... so it really is climbing up and up.
Then we need to hur--

But before Watase could say any more, a voice suddenly came out of his PDA.

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Commander: --... his is Sirius Commander Murakami. Kasasagi, do you r-- ...sagi, do you read me?
Th-the radio!?

Kazami quickly reacted to Watase's surprise.

I reported you were unharmed earlier, which is probably why he's contacting you and not me. Please answer him.
Y-yeah!

Watase frantically took his PDA out and replied.

Y-Yeah, this is Kasasagi, over.
Commander: --sasagi... been trying to reach you for a...--... finally got thro...

The radio waves were clearly in worse condition than they'd been in the earlier call. The commander started relaying orders with what little he could get through.

Commander: --...eport your status!
R-right! Actually, uh, we found bodies...
Commander: ... was that!? Didn't catch all--
We found three corpses in the facility! And they'd all been murdered! One of them was Dojima...!
Commander: What!?
Can you hear me!? We found the bodies of Dojima and two researchers! They'd all been murdered!
Commander: ...urdered!? ...--
There were bullet holes in the bodies! The killer might have escaped the facility! Please check to make sure that none of the people who exited the facility have guns on them!
Commander: Had--....-- gun--...--
Can you hear me!? I repeat! Please check to make sure that none of the people who exited the facility have guns on them!
Commander: --... Check--...--... for guns, right!? --derstood, leave it--...

It seemed he'd managed to get the abnormality of the situation through to the commander.

Commander: --...reaking up aga--...--... have a message for you.

The commander went for a change of plans, speaking without waiting for any responses.

Commander: ...of LABO's-- ...vivors...-- ... --mongst the surv--...--...--... protect-- ...e--
What!?
Commander: Put-- ...riority--... on protecting the g...--...--
I can't hear you, Commander! Please repeat that!
Commander: --gir.. nam... --!... ...--... protect her...--...
Protect a girl!? Are you talking about Yuuri!?
Commander: Counting on y--... --rk together with Tachibana and Moribe ...--...--...--...
You're telling me to work with them to rescue the survivors, aren't you!?

Watase glanced at Kazami and Jun, who both gave him deep nods.

I don't think that's what he means. Call me suspicious, but I don't think the commander would have to reiterate the basic job of a rescue worker to his ace captain. The commander doesn't know of Watase's amnesia, after all.

Got it, just leave it to me!
Commander: --ounting o-- ...--...--... --...--

The transmission cut there. Watase put his PDA away and turned to the rest of the group.

...Did you guys catch all that?
You don't even have to ask. Let's hurry up with the search of Area 4.
Hey Mr. Ukita, what kind of area is this?
Oh, we call it the 'Brain'. The reason why is because this is where we handle most of the data processing, and because we have a supercomputer in here called 'Brain Cell'.

Tips posted:

TIP: Brain Cell
Category: Fiction

A supercomputer made in Japan that manages all of LABO's information, including experimental data, security, electricity, and other infrastructure. It is installed in the outer ring of LABO, and is only accessible from Area 4. Aside from the backup data it sends to the surface, Brain Cell is standalone (it is not connected to the internet). The three control systems, Solone, Deux, and Tria, perform constant mutual surveillance on each other, and thus it is impervious to direct cracking and unauthorized access. Brain Cell is currently ranked as the number one fastest computer system in the world by the twice—yearly ranking organization, Project Top 500.

A supercomputer? Where is it?
The mainframe itself is in the outer ring, but it's controlled from right here in the inner ring. It's this way. Follow me.

The group trailed behind Ukita as he lead the way. He guided them to a nearby door that read System Control Room.

♪ BGM: Server Room Ambience ♫

I can't describe it much more than that. It's that kind of humming sound that just makes me think of servers.

Vast amounts of what appeared to be data flickered on and off at dizzying speeds.

Whoa, feels like a military command center.
What kind of machine is this?
Ah, well, Brain Cell takes care of the batch processing of all the information handled by LABO.
When you say 'all the information', exactly what are we talking about here?
I mean everything, from test data analysis, calculations, and even infrastructure systems like the electricity, the lighting system, the AC, the plumbing, and so on.

I have to admit, if I were a scientist at a research institute, I would feel very impressed by the main computer we have being able to run data analysis and flush my turds at the same time. Decentralization is for wimps who can't handle a real supercomputer.

It still operates even during a Case N. Look at these numbers here.

Ukita pointed to some numbers on the edge of the screen. The time ''18:16'' and the number ''14581 mSv'' were sitting there side-by-side.

'18:16' refers to the time the lockdown is scheduled to lift at.
Just another 8 hours or so, huh...?!
Looks like the estimate the commander gave us was more or less on the mark, then.
Indeed. He said that the engineers were currently repairing the system from the surface-- But that data is calculating the 'time it'll take for the repairs to be done and for the lockdown to be lifted'.
Is it possible that the lockdown will be lifted before the estimated time?
H-hmm... it probably won't be easy. The majority of the processing necessary for the system's restoration is carried out by Brain Cell here. This estimate itself was made by Brain Cell. Even if the time is off slightly due to some artificial error, I doubt that they can get it done faster than this.
I see... then what about this '14581 mSv' thing? What's that about?
Huh? Oh, that's--

Ukita hesitated for a moment before he spoke.

...That's the radiation level in Area N.
What!? Area N's contamination is already -that- bad--!?

Watase shuddered. The thought that nearly 15000 mSv of radiation was floating around Area N left him unable to even breathe. It was a land of death where even a single step would most likely cost one their life...!

It appears that Area N's dosimeter is still active... but maybe we would have been better off not knowing.
N-no, it's better to be safe than sorry. We would have needed to know just how dangerous Area N was eventually.
Yeah... guess that's LABO's 'Elephant's Foot', huh?

Tips posted:

TIP: Elephant's Foot
Category: Nonfiction

A solidified lava-like lump of radioactive materials like uranium and plutonium mixed with molten concrete that still silently exists within the hastily built sarcophagus surrounding the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant. The elephant's foot, named after its odd shape, still emits large amounts of radiation today. It is even said that those who got within eyeshot of the elephant's foot were unable to escape death from acute radiation exposure.

Elephant's Foot?
That's what they called the place with the highest radiation levels in the Chernobyl nuclear accident. Its highest level was approximately 80,000 mSv. They say that anyone who was close to it died in just a few seconds. Of course, the numbers this time around are much better compared to that, but still...
So now we're positive that we'll be screwed if we ever go to Area N...!

The difference between 15,000 mSv and 80,000 mSv didn't mean a whole lot when it came to radiation. They were both still extremely lethal doses. Both Chernobyl and LABO were crazy worlds where abnormal levels of radiation flew around freely.

...Anyway, I'm glad that Brain Cell is still functioning even in this horrid situation. This place also controls the opening and shutting of the security gates. So if this ever broke, then our search would be at a permanent end.
Wait, the gates are controlled by this? So that means-- Could we possibly open the bulkhead from here!?
!

Everyone's eyes widened when they heard Kazami's proposal.

M-Mr. Ukita, can it be done!?
I don't know! But... it's still worth a try!

Ukita walked up to the control booth and spoke.

I'll take care of this. The rest of you should continue with the search. There's no reason for all of us to stay here, after all.
All right! Then let's search Area 4 while he's checking on the bulkhead angle!
Yes!
Mr. Ukita, we're counting on you!

The group left Ukita behind and exited the system control room. As soon as they left, Kazami addressed the others.

Then let's split into groups of two again!
Who'll go with who!?
Ms. Yuuri and I will go together. I'll keep her under proper supervision.
Huh...?
Though that said, you don't have to do all that much. So long as you help out only when I'm sure it's safe enough, that's good enough for me.
O...okay.

Yuuri obediently nodded her head.

Then everyone else with me, okay?
Yeah!
This does seem like a good balance.
Then we'll search this floor, so I'd like to ask the rest of you to search B2.
Got it! We'll find some AD and give it to you, just you wait!
--I'd appreciate that.

With those words serving as a signal to all of them, the group then split up to begin their search.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Seven: 09/16/2030, 10:36

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

But the emergency staircase--

Tch, great, we can't go down like this!
Yeah, it's way too dangerous. And I don't just mean for Ms. Tsubakiyama; even a rescue worker like me wouldn't try it.
There should be an emergency staircase in the outer ring. Let's go down that one!

Everyone nodded at Ena's suggestion and left the room.

Good, looks like we can get down this one!

But-- to be accurate, the stairs weren't totally in one piece. The ones that led to the surface had been destroyed, leaving only the Bl -> B2 staircase intact.

But why're all these staircases broken?
No real point worrying about that now. Even if they weren't, there'd just be bulkheads waiting for us. The only stairs to the surface that're still intact are in Area 2.

The group descended the staircase as they talked. However—- Watase twitched as soon as he began walking down.

...Is it just me, or is it kinda hot?
Now that you mention it...!
It's... burning... down here...!

On the other side of the door was floor B2-- they could feel heat and hear some sort of bursting sound coming from it. Watase checked the door with his PDA's IRT scanner to be safe, only to find that the fireproof door was bright red.

...Wait, I'll open it.

Watase said that and nervously opened the door.

A hot wind blew in his face the moment he opened it.

I don't think we can put out this one unless we get the lieutenant over here--

But at that moment, a strange sound rang out as though it were trying to cut off Jun.

We hear some beeping.

Wh-what was that?
It's the Procyon's alarm!

Watase dumbfoundedly took his Procyon out. The reading was at ''4331 mSv''-- past the first danger standard!

Why'd it rise so much just now? Is the radiation down here that bad!?
This isn't good! Let's get out of here!
Wait! It's not that much higher than the AD's limit! I think we'll still be okay!
Y-you sure about that!? Then let's put out these fires and...

Ena looked out into the fire at that moment. And when she did-- her eyes suddenly widened.

Huh...!?

Watase followed Ena's somewhat astonished gaze. What he found was--

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

--a girl standing on the other side of the flames.

Ms. Sannomiya!?

Watase recognized that name. ''Louise Yui Sannomiya''-- that was the name of one of Ena's students who'd possibly been trapped in LABO.

(If she doesn't move, those flames are gonna eat her alive!) H-hey, are you okay!?

But Louise didn't answer his calls.

She just gave him a sharp look that almost looked like a glare.

Calm down, you don't have to be afraid of us! We came here to save you!

A blue choice asking us about our opinion on Louise, which we set at 6 a while back.

But as he said that,

...Huh?
W-wait, huh!? Why'd she run away!?

+1s to both Jun and Ena from that blue decision.

R-roger that!
I-I'm coming t--
It's too dangerous! Stay here and leave this to us!

Once Jun said that, she and Watase went dashing off at the same time.

Louise! Why're you running away!? It's me! Jun!

Despite Jun's shouts, the girl didn't stop running.

(She has a card!? Where'd she ever find one!?)

The gate soon started to close.

Wait wait wait!

Watase and Jun made a mad dash through the gate.

But they couldn't see the girl anymore. She'd probably run off to the inner ring.

Let's hurry and find her before the fire sprea--

But just as Jun was saying this, the Procyon's alarm grew even louder.

!

Jun looked at the Procyon in surprise. It read--

'9307 mSv'!?
O... oh come on, give us a break!

The number was past the second danger standard. Kazami's explanation then suddenly echoed in Watase's head. ''Our lives are at great risk there even with AD.'' And the fact that the alarm had gone off as soon as they'd gone through the connecting passageway meant--

Another blue decision, this time asking us about Louise and Watase. Louise has a high Sense at 6, but because of the misguided voting from the last yellow branch, Watase himself sits at 8. And in this case at least, this means ''Watase values his own life over that of others''.

But he didn't have time to hesitate. The girl was being constantly bathed in high level radiation while they were standing around.

L... let's go! We can't leave that girl here!

She spoke in a clear voice as though she were trying to cheer herself up.

But Watase, afraid of radiation exposure, hesitated.

Hey, look, I'm scared too! But we have to go!
B-but...
--You coward! Fine, then I'll go by myself!

Those words finally snapped Watase out of it.

W-wait! I'm coming too!

Watase broke off into a run, doing his best to catch up to Jun.

You take the left!

Jun then proceeded to run off towards the right.

Yeah!

Watase took off in the other direction, looking for the girl. The alarm was getting louder and louder. Watase suddenly felt a headache from the repeated echo of that sound.

(No... it's not because of the alarm. Are these the effects of the radiation!?)

It didn't stop with his headache; he also felt like his skin was going numb. Despite all that, Watase continued to run around in search of the girl. Just then--

He saw the girl approaching the Area 5 connecting passageway. If she went through that gate, he wouldn't be able to keep chasing her.

Wait! Please wait!

Watase desperately called out to her, but the girl just kept on running. However, there was something off about the way she did so. Watase looked closer and noticed that there was a bandage wrapped around her upper arm.

(She got hurt!?)

Then that only proved that he had to bring her under his protection as soon as possible. Watase ignored his headache and tried to chase after her when--

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

!?

--a voice echoed in his head.

{Don't chase her! Stop right there!}

It was the same voice he'd heard in his head when he'd tried to save Yuuri. But now it was trying to stop him from rescuing that girl.

Shut the hell up!

Watase shook off that voice and chased after the girl. But a second later,

!!

the pain in his head suddenly magnified.

Ghh...!

(Wh- what's happening...!?)

A light shone in front of his eyes at the same time his vision was rapidly devoured into darkness.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Well that's what happens when you don't listen to the voice in your head, Watase. God.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
So, here is me, having just gotten off a trip around evangelion fanfics when "Brain Cell Supercomputer":stare:

"The three control systems, Solone, Deux, and Tria, perform constant mutual surveillance on each other":stonk:

:Remembers Beyond Communication, by which the human mind, possibly the greatest computing device in the world, can telepathically communicate.:stonklol:

I think we have our villain plot, guys. Or else, merely one layer in the sinfully delicious cake these guys seem to be baking.

Also, Yuuri again remains suspicious (in the 'what does everyone want with her' way, though I suppose he could have meant 'Yui'), the voice is seemingly confirmed to be the mysterious aggressor (or closely related), and if Watase was here on some kind of a rescue mission then either he failed to get that across to the people he was trying to rescue or they have serious doubts about his methods. Assuming 'Yui' isn't against us for some entirely different reason.

EDIT: Also, for a group of high-schoolers that are not confirmed to have Procyons, and who would likely have little idea on the proper usage of AD, they seem to be doing quite well for themselves.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 30, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OddHaberdasher posted:

EDIT: Also, for a group of high-schoolers that are not confirmed to have Procyons, and who would likely have little idea on the proper usage of AD, they seem to be doing quite well for themselves.

Well, remember that Natsuhiko's mother works at LABO. It wouldn't be too out there for them to have knowledge of basic things that are used to keep you safe when something goes tits up at LABO.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hazard: 09/16/2030, 10:41

♪ BGM: Ethereal Ambience ♫

----
------ His consciousness was in eternal darkness. Without the ability to rely on his five senses, he had no clue where he was.

(... I'm...?)

His hazy mind just barely managed to construct that thought. He then-- --made out the sound of someone breathing nearby.

???: ...Sheesh, Captain Kasasagi, you sure do weigh a ton...!
(...?)

♪ BGM: Achiever / Theme of Ena

It seemed someone was walking while carrying him on their shoulder.

(''Captain Kasasagi''...? Who's that...?)

No sooner had he thought this than did everything come back to him.

(That's right! I fell unconscious...!)

Watase's five senses swiftly recovered with that thought.

Teach...?
Oh! You're awake? Captain Kasasagi, are you okay?
Wh-where am I...? Why are you...?

Another blue path. I'm noticing that I'm not really getting any real opportunities to hold votes for our Senses for characters that aren't Watase, Kazami or Jun. Maybe I'll just have a general round of Senses voting alongside a yellow path soon. For now, we still really don't trust Ena.

He tried to recall what happened after that, but all he found was a total blank.

Ms. Moribe found you lying in the inner ring and brought you all the way back to the emergency staircase. She's currently putting out the fire on floor B2 with Ms. Tachibana. So they asked me to take you back to the control room.
So that's what happened... by the way, what happened with that girl?
Well... according to Ms. Moribe, it seems Ms. Sannomiya got away. She said she searched the entire contaminated zone in the inner ring, but didn't even find a trace of her.
Did she run away to another area...?

Watase had no clue where she'd disappeared to. He felt like he'd seen her running off somewhere just before he collapsed-- But he'd been hit with a particularly painful headache right after that, causing his memories around that point to be extremely vague at best. But he knew for a fact that she'd run away.

Why'd she run off like that...?
...No clue. Got any ideas?
None...

But thinking back on it, Yuuri had clearly been scared back when he'd first met her. Perhaps Watase's face looked especially frightening to them in an environment like this.

(No, or maybe...)

Maybe the girl had also found those bodies. Anyone would be shaken after seeing something like that. In the end, Watase was no closer to figuring out the truth. Watase sighed and moved away from Ena.

Yeah... Anyway, she ran off into a contaminated zone... so it's possible she's being exposed to radiation.
Actually, there might be some hope on that front.

Ena said that and took something out.

What's that?
It was lying near the staircase. If Ms. Sannomiya was the one who used it, then that gives her at least some protection.
Then I guess she'll be okay if she stays out of any more contaminated zones, huh...

But he couldn't be optimistic. It was very unlikely that she had a Procyon. Ena continued talking.

...She'll be fine. Truth be told, that girl's a prodigy who excels at almost everything.
A prodigy?
Right. I just know she's the kind of girl who can figure out a way to survive by herself.
I see... that definitely is... hopeful.

Even if it was only a faint hope-- Watase felt he should believe in it.

Um... did something... happen...?
...Looks like Captain Kasasagi here passed out right after he went into a contaminated zone.
You went to a contaminated zone?

Yuuri walked over to Watase with a look of shock adorning her face.

Why did you pass out...?
Well, I got this real bad headache all of a sudden... so I don't really remember it all that well... But maybe it was some kind of radiation damage. Radiation can damage your brain cells, you see... 'least that's what Tachibana said...
Oh no...!

Yuuri stared hard at Watase.

...Are you worried about me?
Huh...? ...N-no.
I see...

Yuuri's response was surprising, but also heartwarming. She'd been acting like she didn't want to go near Watase the whole time she'd been with them. He didn't know why that was-- but the concern she'd shown him just now seemed to be proof that she was becoming a bit more comfortable around him.

(Is it because of all the times I've risked my life...?)

Watase then gave Yuuri a smile.

...It's okay, Yuuri. This is just our way of life. We'd be out of a job if we made civilians, especially young girls, worry about us.
Oh my, you're finally starting to sound like a man of your station, Captain Amnesia.
Well, the amnesia aside, I still -am- a bona-fide rescue worker, you know. This is just my way of playing it cool.

Just as he said that, it suddenly hit Watase. His subordinates were currently fighting the fires down on floor B2.

...Crap, I should be helping Tachibana and Moribe out. You guys wait in the control room.
Huh? A-are you sure you're okay? You only fainted just a few minutes ago.
Yep, I'm already as good as new. So now I've gotta make up for lost ground.
Sheesh, you're such a tough guy.

Watase started running off towards the emergency staircase as he heard Ena say that.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 31, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Flash Dance: 09/16/2030, 10:46

He could see Kazami and Jun holding two hoses as they desperately suppressed the fire, the sound of the Procyon's alarm beeping in the background.

Oh, you came back!?
Captain! Are you sure you're okay!?
Your concern is unnecessary! Anyway, is there anything I can help with!?
I'd like you to help us put out the fire, but, well--

Watase checked the area around him as he listened to Jun. Everywhere except for where Kazami and Jun were standing was engulfed in flames. With the air full of heat waves and steam, every breath he took felt like it was setting his lungs on fire.

It's too dangerous for you in your current condition! Please fall back!

And thus, we dance this dance once more.

VOTING

Another life-or-death decision. Another questionable setup where putting one Sense over another could mean loving anything. How will it end for us this time? Vote Top, High, Middle, Low, Bottom for Watase, Kazami and Jun.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 31, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Set Watase to high and Kazami & Jun to top.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Watase high
Jun top
Kazami middle

Now's the time for action and Kazami is being needleddly prudent

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I realize bulkheads are important, but do you think maybe we could have tasked Ukita with getting fire-suppression online?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Max for everyone. We need everyone to be on point and work together.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I reckon that Jun should be Max, Watase High and Tachibana Middle. This seems to be the best way of ensuring we help, as Jun seems to be in favor of our helping. I'm probably wrong about this. Such is life in the Zone.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Watase high, Jun top, Kamzami Mid

We are gonna help put out that fire!

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

SSNeoman posted:

Watase high
Jun top
Kazami middle

Now's the time for action and Kazami is being needlessly prudent
This sounds like a good plan.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Error of Judgment

code:
Watase:

Top:    I
High:   IIIII
Middle: 
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((1*8)+(5*6)+(0*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/6 = 6.333 = 6

Kazami:

Top:    II
High:   
Middle: IIII
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((2*8)+(0*6)+(4*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/6 = 5.333 = 5

Jun:

Top:    IIIIII
High:   
Middle: 
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((8*8)+(0*6)+(0*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/6 = 8
Looks like the Jun train isn't slowing down in the slightest, and you still have reservations about Kazami's cautious nature.

Let's see what the game makes of that setup...

Uh-oh!

(No, ''firefighting is all about teamwork''! I can't disobey a superior's orders!)

Watase quickly retreated with that thought.

(... Is this... really okay...?)

We hear the sound of an explosion and the screen shakes.

--!?

All of a sudden, something blew through the wide open door and knocked Watase off his feet.

The air caressing his face was... hot. Black smoke spewed out of the stairwell.

Wha... n-no, it can't be...!?

It appeared that an earth-shattering explosion had occurred back down on B2. All the color drained from Watase's face.

--Tachibana! Moribe!

Before he knew it, he was running back into the stairwell, shouting the whole way.

But Watase paid none of that any heed and ran down the stairs. The regret of being the only one to retreat pierced him right through the heart. The further down he got, the worse the heat became.

(Tachibana, Moribe, please, I'm begging you, be alive!!)

Watase ran down to B2 as he prayed for that from the bottom of his heart.

♪ BGM: Abyss

--lying in a world of black smoke, fire, and scorching heat. Their heads and faces had been completely charred black, leaving no way to distinguish them from one another apart from their height and weight differences.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! No! Oh God, no, please no!!

There was little to no chance that they were still alive. But that reasonable assessment was completely cast aside in favor of Watase's emotions.

Hold on guys! I'll save you!

Watase screamed that and leaped into the flames.

--!!

All the fluid in Watase's eyes instantly evaporated, leaving him stranded in a black world.

His hair was reduced to ash, and a foul stench filled his nose. Next, he smelled meat cooking. But he soon lost the ability to tell what it was. For his nose's mucous membrane had burned up. --He was hot. For some reason, his whole body was hot. Even though he'd lost his sense of sight and smell, that agony still remained. And before he knew it, Watase was lying on the ground. His cheek pressed against the white hot floor, making a sizzling sound as it did. He no longer knew anything. Nothing except the fact that he was burning.

(Tachibana... Moribe...)

With his sight still robbed from him, Watase turned towards them and reached out. But his fingers never touched anything-- And thus Watase breathed his last as he apologized to Kazami and Jun.

Ironically, it was the idea that having a lower Sense of Kazami would lead to him not obeying her orders that did us in. If we had Watase's Sense of her at 6 instead of 5, we would have made it through. The bizarre second-person-gameplay created by the Senses Sympathy System claims another victim.

We'll do better next time.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I don't get the Sense system at all anymore.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

CirclMastr posted:

It's an interesting enough idea, but it's starting to feel seriously over-designed, yeah.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

CirclMastr posted:

ProfessorProf posted:

It's an interesting enough idea, but it's starting to feel seriously over-designed, yeah.

I get the feeling that if I sat down and thought about it, I could justify every result the Senses system brings. The fact of the matter, however, is that I shouldn't have to do that, it should be relatively self-explanatory.

All of this, however, is by design - they simply didn't want to give you "choices", but remove you, the player, from the decision process by one level. All you can do is vaguely manipulate Watase's "emotions" about people, and the results that come from that are pretty much entirely up to Watase. However, I think I can see a running theme in the Sense decisions we've had so far:

***A higher Sense means that Watase cares more about that person's wellbeing. If the person's wellbeing is not in question during this part, then it means that he's more likely to trust that person. Furthermore, when the situation calls for a "high" Sense, the Sense needs to be 6 or higher.***

Let's go back and look at some decisions we've made with that idea in mind:

- First Impression: We put in a low Sense for Kazami. This bit wasn't about Kazami's wellbeing, so we switch to the second part. A low Sense means Watase doesn't trust Kazami.
- Backdraft: We put in a high Sense for Jun and Kazami, but a low Sense for Watase. This bit is about everybody's wellbeing, so we take the first part. A low Sense of himself means that Watase doesn't really care about his own wellbeing, and because of that, he slacks off on his IRT checking.
- Shortage: We put in a high Sense for Watase and a low Sense for Kazami. This bit is about the wellbeing of Kazami and Watase, so we take the first part. A high Sense of himself and a low Sense of Kazami means that Watase puts his own wellbeing above hers, and he injects himself with the AD that isn't broken.
- Flash Dance: We put in a high Sense for Watase and Jun, but a low Sense for Kazami. This bit is about the wellbeing of all three, so we take the first part. A low Sense of Kazami means that he doesn't care that much about her wellbeing and doesn't try to find a way he can help, instead bailing out.

This same principle also applies to the next decision I'll let you vote on. However, there is one decision that kind of fucks with this system, and that's the one I skipped over during Backdraft, Part 2. There, it was about Watase's and Kazami's wellbeing, but having a low Sense of Watase and a high Sense of Kazami meant that he listened when Kazami said "get the gently caress out".

Still, I guess it's better than nothing?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheMcD posted:

Still, I guess it's better than nothing?

Not really. This is basically the same thing as any other game with bad controls. Your intent doesn't translate well to how you want to affect the world you see, so the player's input basically has random/unclear effects. That's well-documented to just annoy players more than anything else.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Well that sure was a bad end. :stare:

TheMcD posted:

I get the feeling that if I sat down and thought about it, I could justify every result the Senses system brings. The fact of the matter, however, is that I shouldn't have to do that, it should be relatively self-explanatory.
I can see the logic with most Sense decisions that involve other people, but the ones that involve Watase seem completely random. Thinking about it as 'whose well-being does he care about most' makes a little sense, but it strikes me as a very 'we'll make a poorly-designed mechanic and blame the player if they don't get it' design decision. The fundamental idea isn't terrible, but the in-game explanations of it are.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
The main thing that irks me about this is there is very little 'reason in advance' for how a given choice seems to work. Some are intuitive (when we saved Yuuri, we had to give Watase misgivings about his ability and let Moribe handle it.), but these early, 'easy' decisions have given us impressions that turn out to be mistaken.
Using the above as an example, the way we picked for Watase originally would have been the way to go, with low sense meaning he would listen and high sense meaning he would get careless and follow his gut to try and get more supplies. This was wrong.
Just now, in an example that made sense with both the 'original' and 'slightly updated' versions of our understanding, we decided to have Watase and Jun's sense high, and Kazami's low, with the idea that we would get to help them (maybe, we thought, the difference between whether Watase or Jun's trust is higher could give us a favor point). Instead, contrary to both of the above examples, not having an arbitrary amount of trust in Kazami means Watase goes upstairs, where as if her sense was higher (even to the point it was the highest sense, which in both the above examples would mean we listen to her), Watase would, presumably, summon his pre-amnesia charisma out of nowhere and Teamwork his way to victory.
We thought that, while for other people it represented 'trust' or 'a willingness to listen', here Watase's sense meant 'self-confidence' or 'how cocky is he feeling right now' or something like that. Evidently, we were wrong. Instead, we know nothing of what Watase's sense means. That is our grievance.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, I guess.

It feels odd because I feel like I'm the only one that actually likes this mechanic in a weird way. I actually enjoy not really knowing how Watase is going to react, often stumbling into bad ends with no clear idea of what just went wrong, largely because the penalty for loving up is so minor. You just go back to the decision point, change things up the way the game told you how to, and away you go. The time lost is about five minutes at most. Because of that, I don't really care that the decisions I make don't really turn out the way I want them to. However, with you guys voting on this, I suppose you feel more involved and therefore ticked off that what you vote on means basically gently caress all.

...I'm really not sure how to progress from now on. It feels like frustrations with the Senses system are coming to a head, and we're basically just getting started. There's a lot more of this coming, and if this is going like this this early, then it'll go completely to hell down the line.

Do you want to keep on trying to make sense of this Sense stuff, or do you want to just can the voting and let me work... something out as to how I'll set the Senses from then on? Or something else entirely, maybe something inbetween? I'm pretty much at a loss right now. I got nothing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I still want to see more of the Senses system, seeing Watase completely misread our intentions was hilarious :v:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

I don't mind the current pace at all. I don't particularly mind being wrong. This isn't a perfect system, to be sure, however getting bad ends is one of my favourite past times.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Flash Dance: 09/16/2030, 10:46 - Part 2

Alright, let's not die this time.

Watase stood frozen in place.

I'll watch the fire from the rear! That way, I can let you know if I see something strange!
Yes, thank you, Captain!
Much obliged!

The two of them shouted that and continued hosing down the fire.

(But this fire looks far beyond the control of human hands at this point...!)

Just as Watase thought that--

♪ BGM: Abyss

Wha!?

A tongue of flame which had been licking at the ceiling nimbly waved towards the floor. It was almost like the writhing of a giant snake--

H-hey guys, what's that!?
!? Oh poo poo, it's rolling over!
We'll never last against that! All hands retreat!

Even Watase could tell that whatever was happening was no laughing matter.

T-this way, guys!

Watase opened the emergency staircase door. Kazami and Jun threw aside their hoses at the same time and ran for the stairs. Watase followed them on nigh-instinct.

The whole group crowded their way up the stairs as fast as they could.

And not even a second later-- the door shook with a roar.

Watase was knocked down by the shockwave occurring on the other side. He landed on his side and felt a keen pain run through the area around his ribs.

Ghh, ugh...!

He quickly shut the door again as he groaned. It looked like an explosion had happened downstairs, and the blast had made it all the way up the stairs. ''If we'd been even a second slower...''-- That thought sent shivers down Watase's spine.

Wh... what was that explosion?
A 'flashover'. A phenomenon where an explosion occurs when fire that's covering an entire area suddenly goes through thermal expansion. You saw how those flames were rolling like they were alive, right? That was a forewarning to it, so to speak.
So that's why you told us to run...

If they'd stayed there, they would all be burning to death right about now. Watase gulped as it fully hit him just how ferocious that fire had been. His ribs still ached from when he'd been knocked to the floor.

But I'm glad we're all in one piece...

...!? Tachibana, what's wrong!?
N-nothing... just got a bit dizzy and a little headache all of a sudden...
A headache!? Could it be because you went downstairs without enough AD!?

The fiery hallway they'd just escaped from had a reading of about ''4300 mSv'' according to the Procyon. That was over the first danger standard-- an extremely dangerous zone to those without any AD.

H-hey... you okay, Tachibana!?

A blue path, asking us about our opinion on Jun and Kazami. And if there's been one constant so far, it's that you guys love Jun. I also set Kazami back to 5, just like you voted.

But to think the radiation would--
If they were subjective symptoms of radiation damage, they should not be manifesting this quickly. This is more likely due to carbon monoxide overexposure.

Her face was still a bit pale.

Nice, +1s to both Jun and Kazami.

Even Watase had fainted with a violent headache right after he'd entered a contaminated zone. It was way too dangerous for someone without a full ampule of AD in their system like Kazami. Kazami spoke up with a firm voice as Watase thought that.

...At any rate, let's head back to the control room. Going back to the lower floor is no longer an option.
R-right...
...Yeah.

Kazami then started walking on ahead, followed shortly afterwards by Watase and Jun. --So that dosage of AD really hadn't been enough for her. Though injecting oneself with a drug stored in a damaged container was already in of itself extremely dangerous.

(We need to find some AD on the double...!)

Watase then whispered into Jun's ear.

...Moribe, Tachibana looks like she's having a real hard time. We have to support her...
I know that already! I know that..!

Watase and Jun nodded at each other and quickly marched towards the control room.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I hope the bad ends get more amusing and unique as we go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
No doubt they will, games like this are almost always a hardcore slow burn.

Personally I'm totally on board to keep going with more-or-less random Sense decisions being flung out by the thread as we watch Watase hurl himself into fires repeatedly.

• Locked thread