Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Disaster Prevention Manual: 09/16/2030, 10:51

♪ BGM: Server Room Ambience ♫

No sooner had they passed through the doorway than did a bitter shout echo through the room.

Dammit! I can't steal the root authority!
M-Mr. Ukita, what's wrong!?

Ukita and the others turned around in surprise.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

You three, huh... I heard everything from Ms. Tsubakiyama. Sounds like you went through hell.
Yeah... But we're okay now.

None of Watase's group said anything about Kazami's deteriorating condition.

More importantly, what happened? What's all this stealing authority business about?
Well... I've been expending all my efforts towards gaining control of the bulkheads, but... The control system is shielded by thick layers of protection. I don't believe I can do anything against that. And unfortunately, the other three control computers are all being guarded by that system. It appears it's been set up so that it instantly takes the root authority back from any intruder who manages to steal it by force. And to be honest, there's nothing I can do about it with my level of skill...
...I see.

Everyone's faces fell at Ukita's explanation. Though it'd only been a half-hearted hope, it still came off as a big disappointment.

...But, and while I wouldn't say this makes up for that, I learned several things during this process. Please look at the monitor. everyone.

Ukita then operated the control panel--

--bringing up what appeared to be a map on-screen.

What's this?
This is a detailed map of LABO. This is floor B1, where we are presently located...

And this is floor B2.
Oh, this'll be a huge help! Now we won't have any more trouble navigating the facility.
And it's not just a simple map. You can also check out the current situation with it, at least to a certain degree. So here's what I learned from it-- First, it appears that all routes leading to the surface really have been locked down with bulkheads. There are no other exits either. Incidentally, it would seem that all emergency staircases leading to those bulkheads have collapsed, excluding the one in Area 2's inner ring.
I see...

It was more or less what they'd expected, but it was still disappointing to hear. Kazami pointed to the lower half of the map.

What's this redded-in portion?
Oh, that appears to be an area currently on fire.

Just like Kazami had said, the whole area was dyed red. And the letters next to it read ''Area 4'' ''B2''-- it was the fire that Watase, Kazami, and Jun had narrowly escaped from.

Then all these red parts are...!?

B2 of Area 4 wasn't the only area that was red. Area 5 was full of red dots, while almost all of Area 6's outer ring was filled with red.

Indeed. The bulkheads in these areas have been damaged by the fire, so there may be some radiation leakage happening there.
So that's why the Procyon's reading rose so much, huh...
If we can seal up the damaged bulkheads, will that stop the reading from going up?
It will not be an easy task... We don't know what parts are damaged, after all. It's highly possible that the majority of it is broken. And there's no chance that we can suppress the radiation with makeshift repair work.
Great. Just great... We can't continue with our search like this.

The lower floor was now completely off-limits to them, and they still needed to find Kazami some AD quickly. And with all the areas ahead of them on fire, there was also the survivors' safety to worry about.

...Then let's start thinking. We need to decide what to do next based on this new information.

The group meekly nodded.

The first order of business is finding AD, stat. We can't leave Tachibana in this condition forever.
Good point... But where do we find some?
We had planned to search the lower floor, but it's on fire...

Suddenly, Yuuri, who hadn't said a word so far, finally broke her silence.

U-Um... I found this while I was waiting...
Hmm?

He looked at Yuuri to find she was holding what looked like a small notebook.

What is that, Yuuri?
It appears to be this facility's 'disaster prevention manual'. According to this page...

Yuuri opened to a certain page and showed it to everyone. The group walked over to her and took a look at it.

...For 9 hours? Don't ask the impossible.
No, that part's due to a system error. The lockdown would normally be lifted much earlier than that.
Wait, there's more.

A blue decision, asking us about Yuuri, who still sits at 6.

Watase broke out into a smile at this new knowledge.

Plenty of spare AD...!

You know, for what it's worth, while we've been blowing it in the yellow (and therefore also red) branches, we're doing pretty well on gaining Favor in the blue ones.

Y-you're welcome...

Yuuri gave a smile tinged with a faint hint of joy.

It says there's spare AD in Areas 1,3, and 5... but is that actually true?
Well, now that I think about it, we did find a medical box with five AD in it in Area 1, so there's that.
Mmph, that's less than I thought. Well, I guess there was enough originally, it's just...
Area 1 was also on fire at first. Most of the spare AD probably burned up in it.
Then what about Area 3?
We found a medical box, but it was empty. Someone must have beat us to it.
...That's too bad. Then is there anywhere we haven't searched yet?
There is...

Kazami looked at the monitor.

Area 3's outer ring on B1. We couldn't get in there because the card slot at the security gate was broken.
Oh yeah, I remember that now.

The map showed one of the three routes to that place was blocked off by fire. And according to Kazami, one of the others had a security slot that'd been incinerated. And according to Kazami, one of the others had a security slot that'd been incinerated.

So we might be able to get in if we can put the fire out in that passageway. But I think putting out that fire is nearly beyond human help now...

Ukita suddenly spoke up when he heard Jun's comment.

Wait...!? If you say it's impossible with human help, then...! All right! If my plan goes well, then we can solve both our AD and fire problems in one fell swoop!
What!? Do you have something in mind?
Yes. Take a look at this map.

Ukita proceeded to operate the control panel again.

A strange map then popped up, one that did not appear to be of B1 or 82. In the first place, it didn't have any detailed descriptions of anything apart from Area 3.

What's this map of?
This is an equipment storage block between the first floor and B1. Think of it as something like an attic of sorts. Anyway, this part here is what I wanted to show you...

The 'Engine Room'.

Those words caused Watase to remember the note he'd found earlier on.

Could the engine room be--
--where the sprinkler system is housed!?

I think somebody was waiting for this to be brought up.

Indeed. All the sprinklers are offline right now, yes? It appears that the sprinkler system has been shut off for some reason... But if we go there, we should be able to restore it. It'll be a great help in dealing with those fires.
Are you serious!? How do we get there, then!?
Well, according to the map--

...Through here. Through that block we were just talking about. In other words, there's a ladder to the engine room in this room in B1 of Area 3's outer ring. So if we can just get into that block somehow--
We can put out the fires and get our hands on some AD!

Those words brought the whole group's spirits up.

Captain... this is good news!
drat straight it is! Nice job, Mr. Ukita!
Oh, uh, you're welcome...

Ukita scratched his head in embarrasment.

But the problem is getting there, isn't it...?
Yeah. Maybe we should try to put out those fires in that burning hallway?
No, those flames are far too powerful. It's dangerous. I propose that we repair the broken card slot instead.

Oh hey, look, a clear Senses decision. We get to pick between Kazami and Ena, and whichever is higher is the plan we go with.

...so of course I'm going to skip over voting on this one. This is largely because I'm looking to get to a good place to work out our updated Senses for everybody, and I know there's a good spot coming up. So for now, we'll just go with Kazami's plan. Besides, Jun said that they can't put out those fires now, and Jun is always right.

Watase thought it over for a second and soon came to his answer.

Let's go with Tachibana's plan. We don't know for sure that trying to repair the card slot will be a dead end unless we've all given it a shot, right?
That's right. They always say that 'two heads are better than one', so we should be able to do something with six.
Everyone, will you please lend us your skills?
Of course.
Well, I may be an amateur at rescuing, but I know a bit about machines, so I may be of assistance.
I... don't really have any skills, but... I'll try if it comes to it.
Just being there's good enough. Having a girl like you around will put these old men into high spirits, after all.
Old men, huh...

Watase and Ukita looked at each other and exchanged wry smiles. Ukita's face turned serious again a moment later.

...Now that that's decided, let us make the necessary preparations right away. First, everyone here should download this map into your PDAs.
Good idea. Let's take him up on that, people.

Everyone took out their PDAs at Kazami's declaration... except for Yuuri.

Hmm? Yuuri, you don't have a PDA?
N-no... my mom won't let me have one.
Sheesh, you've got a strict family. Reminds me of my folks.
Well, there are families like that here and there.

--At any rate, everyone except for Yuuri downloaded the map into their PDA.

And with that...

...we can also access the map of LABO from the menu at any time. It can be useful for getting one's bearings, but to be honest, I never really used it. It's not that hard to keep track of a hexagonal design with two levels.

I always carry an army knife with me. It's a bit tough to use, but it'll still work as both a crosshead and a flathead screwdriver.
It'll do. Let's give that a try.

Ukita took the knife. Watase then plopped a hand on his shoulder.

Guess we're all set... then shall we go?

The group left the control room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

To note, it'll still be either two or three chapters until the next point where I'd planned on having a voting decision, so feedback on how I should continue to handle this whole Senses clusterfuck is welcome and appreciated.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Not completely understanding the consequences of certain decisions is just part of life, so I'm fine keeping voting.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Maybe I'm just overly paranoid from Zero Escape games, but "Engine Room" seems like a suspicious name for what sounds like a normal mechanical room :colbert:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Bumbling through things isn't that bad all in all, even though it does mean it's easier to shoot for game overs than trying to get it right the first time.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I guess that maybe I, and others, may be overstating our frustrations. Fedule's LP had similar issue's with Schrodinger's Betrayals, but I still enjoyed it (though I came in after it 'finished'). A lot of frustration for this sort of thing tends to come early, until you've Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bad End. :) Like you say, we tend to be more invested because, well, decisions like this when playing tend to be a 'wait what? Hah hah hah, let me do that again' while here it's 'Will Watase trust his erstwhile teamates about AD? Or will he throw himself off a staircase in a fit of paranoia? Find out tomorrow! Or the Day After!'. Honestly, the frustrations will die down (probably) but the laughs will remain. Though this initial sense of frustration is one of the main reasons why, for example, F/SN is not a slog, despite its length, in my opinion. Nothing to take the sting out of failure than a visit to the Strange Hint Corner, Tiger Dojo! But I digress.

TL;DR Haters gonna hate, the rest of us will likely come around

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 4, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nah ignore the thread complainers, they don't understand the fun of Bad Ends.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Clear and Present Danger: 09/16/2030, 11:01

While en route, they looked over their newfound maps.

Wow, this map really does make it easy to tell where you are!
Honestly, I've been having a lot of trouble telling where I've been up 'til now.

They hurried as they talked.

But it didn't respond at all.

...Yep, it's broken.
Then please go ahead, Mr. Ukita.
Right. I don't know what I'll be able to do, but I'll give it a try.

Ukita took out the army knife and used it to start fiddling with the card slot.

...Well, Mr. Ukita? Think you'll be able to do something?
Mmm... it's hard to say. Even if I can, it might take time...

''Then maybe it'd be best to try the other route as well.'' Watase looked at Kazami as he thought that-- but she was rubbing her arms.

...Tachibana, what's wrong?
Oh, nothing... I just felt this tingling pain in my skin...
What!?

Watase started panicking. He hadn't realized it up until this point, but it'd been 45 minutes since their last injection of AD.

(What's Tachibana's cumulative exposure at now...? If that damaged AD's effects didn't fully manifest, does that mean she can only handle under 2000 mSv? But we don't even have a single AD on us right now. At this rate, we'll all...!)
M-Mr. Ukita... can I try?
Don't get impatient, Moribe. Let Mr. Ukita go at his own pa--

And as Kazami said that... Yuuri suddenly spoke up from behind them all.

Ah, there's smoke...
Huh...?

Watase turned around as soon as he heard that.

Smoke? Where?
Over there...

Yuuri had just pointed to the center of the passageway when--

The floorboards were blown away and fire came jetting out of them.

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

Moribe! Get a hose ready!
Roger!

There was a fire hydrant right by the gate. Jun promptly took a fire hose out of it and handed the nozzle to Kazami.

Everyone, please get back!
Lieutenant! Water's coming now!

Kazami turned to the advancing flames and began hosing them down. However--

One flame after another kept spurting out of them.

Even with Kazami in a weakened state, the flames were progressing slowly, so it seemed she was doing her best.

*cough*...
Yuuri, get down! You guys too! You'll breathe in less smoke that way!

Ena followed her advice and held Yuuri in her arms. She then crouched down and started shouting.

Mr. Ukita! Think it'll be much longer!?
I'm trying! But-- I-I'm sorry! I honestly don't know if I can do it...!
You can't be serious...!

It wasn't just Ena; everyone was speechless.

gently caress! If only this drat gate weren't here! (click me!)

I just had to upload that line for you to listen to. I always enjoy it when English words show up in foreign languages, but the word ''gently caress'' is especially special.

Jun kicked the gate.

Hmm!?

Watase looked up-- then stared intently at what lay there.

An air duct!

Watase quickly scanned the path of the duct. It apparently went right over the gate and straight into the outer ring. He then remembered what Ukita had said earlier. ''The air ducts have radioactive material filters set up all over in them. They block all potential routes to the surface and other areas.''

(Then maybe there isn't a filter in there blocking the way to the outer ring!) Moribe! Can we go through that air duct!?
Worth a shot! We might be able to open the gate from the other side!

But the air duct was blocked by a grate.

A blue branch, asking us about Jun and Watase. Sirius's crack suicide squad chief still gets top marks, of course.

Huh? O-Okay!

Jun took the army knife from Ukita.

I'll remove the grate and go to the other side! My body's smaller than the Captain's, so I'm better suited for this role!

Right on!

Watase then lifted Jun on his shoulders, allowing her to begin dismantling the grate. Screws soon began falling-- first one, then two, three, and four. Finally, the grate itself fell. --It had only taken a mere 30 seconds.

drat, that was fast!
Yeah, being handy's the best part about me!

Jun left those words behind as she climbed into the air duct in the blink of an eye.

We're counting on you, Moribe...!

Khh...!

Kazami groaned in pain as heat waves surged from the fire.

Ms. Moribe...! Please hurry!

Ena still had her arms wrapped around Yuuri. And as Watase also prayed for the same thing from the bottom of his heart--

Yes!

Joy filled the group's faces all at once. But something was strange. The other side of the gate was full of smoke, and Jun was nowhere to be seen.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

An ominous feeling took grip of Watase. So he quickly scanned the area--

Moribe!!

—-and spotted Jun lying on the floor.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Lemme guess we're now in an even more irradiated area?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Isn't radiation kind of... unidirectional? Is it just that the shielding has taken varying degrees of damage from the fire?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Yeah one would expect radiation to well... radiate from the source. The source would be in area N, and all the areas are pretty much equidistant judging by the map. I'd have to assume the raging fires and explosions are causing damage to the barriers and bulkheads. It's possible it could be something else though, like carbon monoxide buildup?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This game plays pretty fast and loose with radiation so far so...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Glazius posted:

Isn't radiation kind of... unidirectional? Is it just that the shielding has taken varying degrees of damage from the fire?

Logicblade posted:

Yeah one would expect radiation to well... radiate from the source. The source would be in area N, and all the areas are pretty much equidistant judging by the map. I'd have to assume the raging fires and explosions are causing damage to the barriers and bulkheads. It's possible it could be something else though, like carbon monoxide buildup?

It's been established that the bulkheads that were supposed to block the radiation coming from Area N have taken varying amounts of damage from the explosions and fires, leading to differing amounts of radiation building up in different areas. Also, radiation has been building up throughout the entire complex in general. However, the Procyon didn't go off in the previous area and Jun is still under the effects of AD. I don't think radiation is the issue in this area.

SSNeoman posted:

This game plays pretty fast and loose with radiation so far so...

Has it? What the game says about radiation makes at least some sense to me so far - though I never really looked too deeply into the actual science behind it. I mean, discounting the existence of AD.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Fireman's Carry: 09/16/2030, 11:08

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Watase frantically ran over to Jun and shook her body.

But she didn't respond no matter how much he called out to her. Her eyes were rolled back: she'd clearly lost consciousness. lnstinctively sensing danger, Watase took Jun in his arms and ran back to the passageway.

Gaah... agh... haah...!?

Yuuri and Ena groaned in agony and collapsed on top of each other.

Yuuri! Teach!

Three of them had collapsed one after another. Kazami ran over after having noticed this unexpected turn of events.

What's wrong!?

Her face then went as pale as a sheet.

Oh no—- is this oxygen-deficient air!?

Tips posted:

TIP: Oxygen-deficient air
Category: Nonfiction

Refers to air with a lower oxygen content than normal air. Normal air is roughly 21% oxygen, and humans need at least 18% oxygen air to breathe safely. At 16% and lower, humans start experiencing headaches and tinnitus. At 14% and lower, consciousness becomes hazy. At 10% and lower, loss of consciousness becomes common. When oxygen concentrations drop this low due to fires or poor ventilation, the air becomes threatening poisonous gas. Furthermore, an oxygen-deprived body instinctively tries to breathe, rapidly decreasing the oxygen concentration in the blood. Just five or six minutes in less than 6% oxygen air can be fatal.

What's that!?
A type of lethal gas that renders you unconscious in a few seconds! It's created when the oxygen density in the air severely decreases due to fires! Breathing it in puts you into a state similar to drowning on land, knocks you unconscious-- and at worst, kills you!

Ukita then started shouting in a shrill voice after hearing that.

Oh no! The AC in here's broken, and the ventilation can't keep up with it!
So the outer ring's full of this gas!?

The gas had been sealed in the outer ring so far because the gate had been closed up until this point, but now--

We won't get any further like this!

To make matters worse, their way back was blocked by fire.

If Watase, Kazami, and Ukita were also to lose consciousness, it probably wouldn't be long before they were incinerated by the flames. They'd be fine if they could put out the source of the fire, but they didn't even know where it was.

Kazami scrunched her face in deep thinking for a second-- then she made up her mind and spoke.

We have no choice! We'll have to hold our breaths and run through the gas until we make it to the engine room! If the map is correct, then it's about 30 meters from here! It'll be a bit of an anaerobic exercise, but it won't be a problem!
But what do we do with the people who've fainted!?
I'll carry Ms. Tsubakiyama! You'll take care of Moribe and Ms. Yuuri!

A blue branch, asking us about Kazami and Watase. Watase is at 6, Kazami at 5.

(I'm supposed to run and hold my breath ~while- carrying two people!?)

That worry crossed his mind for a second, but Kazami saw through Watase's concerns and quickly appended her statement.

I know you can do it! Please have faith in yourself!

Well, whatever that decision came down to, it worked.

--Got it! Leave it to me!
That's the Captain I know.

Kazami smiled for a second, then grew stern again and continued.

Mr. Ukita, I apologize for asking this of you, but can you run by yourself?
A... all right, I'll give it a try.
Much obliged!

Kazami propped Ena up on her shoulder at the same time she said this. Watase did the same with Jun, making sure to copy the way Kazami did it.

Tips posted:

TIP: Fireman's carry
Category: Includes fiction

A technique for carrying someone by standing opposite to them, putting your head underneath their armpit, and supporting them up on your shoulders. It is often seen in the armed forces, but it was used especially by firefighters to carry the injured, hence the name. When lifting the other person, the fireman's carry uses the strongest muscle in the body, the quadriceps, thus allowing for speedy evacuation. However, the cases where the fireman's carry can be used are limited by how it places the carried person's head up high, exposing them to smoke and other dangers.

Similar derivative techniques are used in all sorts of martial arts, like the kata-guruma in judo and the back flip in pro wrestling. In Salyu's personal Sannomiya Style Savate, there's the ''Sannomiya Spiral'' that begins with a similar stance to slam the other person down to the ground backwards, striking the crown of their head.

Uh, pay no attention to that last bit. It'll make sense later.

He then held Yuuri with his other hand.

(--So light!)

The two of them combined had to weigh about 100 kg. Yet they felt light to Watase.

All right! Let's go, guys!
Yes!
Y-yeah!

The three nodded at each other, then started racing down the connecting passageway.

Smoke stung their eyes, causing them to tear up.

(Khh... it's far...!)

He'd only traveled 30 meters, but it felt extraordinarily long to him. But the weight of the two lives he bore gave Watase strength.

(I've gotta hang in there! If I faint, then Yuuri and Moribe die too!)

As he kicked off the ground with those thoughts sprinting through him-- Kazami suddenly stopped in front of a room.

(Did we make it!?)

Kazami took a card out of her pocket and inserted it into the slot.

The air in there hadn't been polluted at all. Watase quickly closed the door and took a huge breath.

--Haah!
Haah, haah...!
*wheeze* *wheeze*...

Kazami and Ukita were also struggling to catch their breath.

Ugh...!

But Ukita fell to his knees with a thud.

Mr. Ukita, are you okay!?
I-I have this horrible headache... It seems I inhaled a bit of the gas...!

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

They were safe for the time being-- but... Watase realized they weren't out of the woods just yet.

(The AD won't last much longer...!)

According to his watch, it was currently ''11:10 AM''. Not only were there just six minutes left until their prior dosage wore off, but they didn't have any AD at all.

(We're screwed! Is there anything we can do!?)

The manual had said that there should be spare AD in Area 3. It was very probable that it was in the outer ring. But they couldn't search the area with that gas still filling the hallways.

(Before we can do that, we have to find out what's keeping the sprinkler system off, reactivate it, put out the source of the fire, wait for the ventilation to finish, then look for the AD-- It's useless, that'll take way too long!)

But taking their time was simply not an option.

(No, wait... if I die looking for the AD, then it'll all be for nothing...!)

Even if they went looking for the AD after restarting the sprinkler system, it might not take as much time as expected. Then they wouldn't have to go very long without any AD. Their cumulative exposure probably wouldn't increase all that much.

(Should I prioritize my own safety and look toward precautions... or should I brave the danger to find AD for everyone...!?)

Well, then.

VOTING

OK, this time will be a bit different. The reason I say that is because this round shouldn't be short-term voting, but long-term voting. Since we've got an opportunity to set our Senses for all six of our main group, this is a good time for us to update our general Senses for the different characters for all the blue branches coming up in the future. Also, you probably won't get the right answer anyway.

So this should be about how much you trust the different characters now, and how much you care for them. Has Ena earned your trust now? How about Ukita? Do you still think highly of Jun or Yuuri? It's time to decide.

So, as before, pick between Top, High, Middle, Low or Bottom for Watase, Kazami, Jun, Yuuri, Ena and Ukita.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Watase: High. We're doing well hanging in there, adapting, and alternating between taking charge and following orders. Let's keep it that way.

Kazami: High. Despite my initial suspicions so far she's been by the book in her characterization - straightforward and serious about doing her job and saving people.

Jun: Top. As serious as Kazami about her job and the welfare of our group, but also our sort of closest companion now that we're amnesiacs. I, personally, like her a lot.

Yuuri: Middle. She's, technically, done nothing wrong, but to be fair, she's also done a lot of nothing. She's a plot device waiting to happen, but until then, we have no reason to distrust her.

Ena: Low. Teach has honestly been the most combative of our group, and also the first one to panic. I feel like if it came down to it, she'd throw us aside in order to save her students.

Ukita: High. He's done his best to assist us, and we've made a lot of progress thanks to his know-how of LABO. There's no immediate reason to suspect him, other than every character is here for a reason.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Has it? What the game says about radiation makes at least some sense to me so far - though I never really looked too deeply into the actual science behind it. I mean, discounting the existence of AD.

I'm no expert myself, but it's treating radiation like Fallout does. Especially with AD.

When radiation increases in muSv, the damage it does to the cells in your body increases proportionately. In particular, what it does is it damages a cell's DNA, preventing its function and eventually leading to its death. More radiation affects more cells at once. That's what causes symptoms such as nausea and vomiting, those are the parts of the body realizing that they cannot perform their function due to damage and reacting accordingly. Obviously the longer you stay in such an environment and the higher the level of radiation there is, the faster and more progressive the damage becomes. And of course the more damage it is, the harder it is for your body to cope with it, which in turn kills you faster. That's why most of the treatment for radiation poisoning is "get the person outside of the radioactive zone, load em up with anti-biotics to help em fight off infections, provide pain relief for symptoms, hope for the best."
Nowadays we can also transplant bone marrow and stem cells to help the body recover the functions faster and contribute to its healing, but basically the idea is the same. Support the body, and try to get it to restore itself as best as we can.

So I'm not entirely sure what our magic nanomachines do, exactly. Ionizing radiation is basically like invisible sunlight (I'm speaking in very broad strokes). We're at the level of particles, so to even stop them the nanomachines would have to be smaller than a molecule. And they'd basically have to (again, in broad strokes) stop sunlight from affecting people from within the person's skin. It's a plot device that keeps the story and suspense going so I haven't been questioning it, I just don't think people should use it for plot speculation since the game is playing on its own turf.

EDIT: Also 2000-3000 mSV is 2-3 SV is "severe radiation poisoning range". 4-5 Sv is "lethal radiation poisoning" range.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 6, 2016

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Watase - Low. I know this voting is more for the long term, but I feel like Watase should be looking for AD as soon as possible (assuming that setting Watase to low will make him risk his own safety and that AD really does provide protection from radiation), mainly for Kazami's sake.

Kazami - High. She seems trustworthy and dedicated to trying to save as many people as she can so far to me.

Jun - High. Same reasoning as Kazami.'

Yuuri - Middle. As asymmetrical said "She's, technically, done nothing wrong, but to be fair, she's also done a lot of nothing."

Ena - Middle. Seemingly the most confrontational person in the party; her students are her top priority, but she gives me the impression that she'll do everything she can to get everyone out alive.

Ukita - Low. Ukita seems helpful, but I personally don't trust him, what with how upset he became over those researcher's murders (even Watase notes something seems to be a little off). Ukita also seemed quite quick to send everyone away from the Server Room when he was trying to open the bulkheads.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

asymmetrical posted:

Kazami: High. Despite my initial suspicions so far she's been by the book in her characterization - straightforward and serious about doing her job and saving people.

Jun: Top. As serious as Kazami about her job and the welfare of our group, but also our sort of closest companion now that we're amnesiacs. I, personally, like her a lot.

Yuuri: Middle. She's, technically, done nothing wrong, but to be fair, she's also done a lot of nothing. She's a plot device waiting to happen, but until then, we have no reason to distrust her.

Ena: Low. Teach has honestly been the most combative of our group, and also the first one to panic. I feel like if it came down to it, she'd throw us aside in order to save her students.

Ukita: High. He's done his best to assist us, and we've made a lot of progress thanks to his know-how of LABO. There's no immediate reason to suspect him, other than every character is here for a reason.

I agree with these.

Watase: Middle. We're voting for right now and long term, so it'd be better if Watase valued himself a little bit but not too much. His memories are still nonexistent, but Kazami's giving him a crash course and he's clearly physically capable, if his performance lifting two people (even if one is a kid, dead weight is still super heavy) is anything to go by.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Kazami: Top
Jun: Top
Ukita: High
Yuuri: High
Ena: Middle
Watase: Middle

I feel like our Emergency Crew members should receive highest priority, since their skills and knowledge make it more likely for the entire group to survive. Plus they've had a ton of chances to betray us and haven't taken any/actually saved us instead. We're a team dammit :colbert:

The civilians are the next priority, Ukita knows the facility and has shown himself helpful, and Yuuri's a kid (I can't completely commit to being cold and pragmatic :saddowns:) Ena has been distant and outright disruptive at times so I can't completely put my trust in her to care for the group as a whole.

Watase hopefully has some measure of plot armour, so he can handle a bit of glow :v:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 6, 2016

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Ena: Middle. A little too combative, but enough time has passed that I feel like cutting her some slack. Hopefully she'll shine through better later on.
Kazami: Top. Kazami has been nothing but helpful and a good teammate, and she really knows her stuff.
Jun: Top. Same as Kazami, with an added bonus of being a lot more personable.
Ukita: High. He's done a lot to be helpful and hasn't done anything overtly obstructing.
Yuuri: High. An innocent kid stuck in the middle of craziness. She's mostly stayed out of the way, but that's because she's not an expert in this situation.
Watase: Middle Watase's amnesia makes him a cypher, and difficult to figure out. Hopefully putting him lower makes him more likely to listen to his teammates instead of going off on his own.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Watase: High
We need to have confidence in ourselves if we want to get through this dangerous situation. There are still holes in his memory and questions to be answered, but for now, we should believe in ourselves. There are probably a lot of options to change how we feel about Watase later.

Ukita: Low
I still don't trust this shady motherfucker. He's hiding some poo poo, and probably can't wait for us to leave before we figure out whatever the gently caress is going on. He's been helpful so far, but that's only because there are clear and present dangers to deal with.

Ena: Medium
She's just a civilian, but we should have high priority on getting her out of this place. However I still have some doubts about her, so the ambivalent sense makes the most sense.

Kazami: Top
She's doing the best she can to make it out of this hell hole. Pretty much the character we should be able to trust most explicitly.

Yuuri: Top
She's a civillian, she's innocent, and she deserves to get out of here. Protecting her should be priority number 1, even if my reason is just assuming that she's important because of meta.

Jun: High
There's no reason to doubt Jun. We need to work together and trust each other to survive. I just have her lower than Kazami so that we can defer to Kazami if blue choices come up.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Watase Medium Thus far it seems to be a pattern that slowly gaining more confidence in ourselves has helped us, so this should be a good default.

Jun Top Because she has been a real help to us and, because of our choices, Watase seems to 'click' with her most often.

Kazami High A member of our team, very capable and trustworthy, yet Watase doesn't seem to quite be on the same page with her as Jun.

Yuuri High By far the least capable of our band, the one most in need of protection, especially given that our psychic PAIN voices want her safe.

Ukita Medium Nothing but helpful, but Watase doesn't seem to care too much for him. Still, his expertise makes him worth listening to.

Ena Low Everything she says and does has been entirely reasonable for a stressed person in a crisis to do, but she seems to have the unfortunate habit of pissing Watase (and us) off.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Watase 6
Jun Top
Kazami High
Yuuri Medium
Ukita 6
Ena Low

Watase: Not sure if Medium is still classed as 5 instead of 6 and 5 has never done us any good when applied to Watase.
Jun: Same as everyone else, she's pretty cool and on our wavelength thanks to amnesia.
Kazami: She's not being shady and distrusting her tends to kill us so for now why not?
Yuuri: She's not a bad person but she has McGuffin written all over her so super-shady by default.
Ukita: Maybe some weird bits but overall has seemed mighty helpful so far, so we'll trust our team more than him but he'll still get overall more benefit of the doubt than other characters.
Ena: Nuke labs aren't exactly a prime place for field trips/take-your-child-to-work-days even when your elementary school class is telepathic, so there's no good reason to trust her farther than we can throw her until she tells us what the hell kind of teacher she really is.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hey, McD. Would you mind if I just kind of sort of talked about something I researched that has something to do with this game (The Enneagram of Personality Types)? I saw the OP and what it said, and I realized I had done a project on it in school before. Would you be okay with it?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Junpei posted:

Hey, McD. Would you mind if I just kind of sort of talked about something I researched that has something to do with this game (The Enneagram of Personality Types)? I saw the OP and what it said, and I realized I had done a project on it in school before. Would you be okay with it?

Go right ahead. The main reason I never said anything about the stuff behind the Enneagram was because I didn't know a lot about it myself, and writing about something I glanced from a cursory look at Wikipedia is probably not worth it.

I never paid attention to the personality types in my regular playthrough, so it'll be interesting to see how the characters fit into their types this time around.

EDIT:

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Watase: Not sure if Medium is still classed as 5 instead of 6 and 5 has never done us any good when applied to Watase.

Oh, right, I could probably mention again that it works like this:

Top = 8
High = 6
Middle = 4
Low = 2
Bottom = 0

EDIT AGAIN:

Oh, also, I'm calling the vote.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 7, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Falling Down: 09/16/2030, 11:12

code:
Watase:

Top:    
High:   III
Middle: IIII
Low:    I
Bottom: 

Result: ((0*8)+(3*6)+(4*4)+(1*2)+(0*0))/8 = 4.5 = 5

Kazami:

Top:    III
High:   IIIII
Middle: 
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((3*8)+(5*6)+(0*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/8 = 6.75 = 7

Jun:

Top:    IIIIII
High:   II
Middle: 
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((6*8)+(2*6)+(0*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/8 = 7.5 = 8

Yuuri:

Top:    I
High:   III
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((1*8)+(3*6)+(4*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/8 = 5.25 = 5

Ena:

Top:    
High:   
Low:    IIII
Bottom: 

Result: ((0*8)+(0*6)+(4*4)+(4*2)+(0*0))/8 = 3 

Ukita:

Top:    
High:   IIIII
Middle: I
Low:    II
Bottom: 

Result: ((0*8)+(5*6)+(1*4)+(2*2)+(0*0))/8 = 4.75 = 5

Alright, so that's what we'll be going with for the near future until other important yellow branches interfere. Seems a lot more balanced now, with Ena bringing up the rear and our rescue squad comrades at the front.

And, well, that's not the right setup. One reason I did this ''long-term voting'' thing here was because I figured you wouldn't have gotten the right combination anyway - though you might have. I mean, it's theoretically possible. But with this many people involved, it probably wasn't happening. So now we're en route to death again.

Watase silently gazed at the door. A whole hall full of potentially lethal gas was lying there. Just one sniff of it and he would most likely pass out.

(N—no.... it's way too dangerous...)

Watase then wrung his answer out of his throat.

W-we don't have a choice... let's activate the sprinkler system first. We'll look for AD after that. Tachibana, I know it'll be hard on you, but please hang in there for a little while longer.
...Yes, don't concern yourself over me. I believe you've made the correct choice.
Sorry... Mr. Ukita, could you guide us to the engine room?
S-sure... it's right this way...

The three of them picked up their fallen companions, headed deeper into the room, then climbed the ladder.

You know, if it wasn't for the red branch, I probably could have fooled you into thinking this wasn't a dead end.

♪ BGM: Engine Room Ambience ♫

The chapter doesn't officially start until here. Also, the ambience here consists of the sounds of low rumbling, water flowing and steam hissing.

The group laid down the unconscious members they were carrying.

...It appears that we've made it here safely.

Kazami's face looked deathly pale. Was it because of the effects of the radiation, or was it extreme fatigue--? Either way, Watase spoke to her.

Tachibana, let's start the sprinkler system up right away. We're done for if the fire makes it here.
Un... understood...
Wait... I'll go with you. I know where the sprinkler system is. They showed it to me during my orientation days... I also think it'd be best for Lieutenant Tachibana to get some rest.
Thanks, that'd be a huge help-- but are you sure you'll be okay?

Ukita's face was just as pale as Kazami's.

Don't fret, I'm still a man just like you... so allow me to show off for a bit here...
...I see. Sorry, that'd be great.

With those words, Watase walked over to Ukita with faltering steps and lent the latter his shoulder.

So where's the sprinkler system?
Oh... over there...
My apologies... please take care of it, you two.

Watase and Ukita nodded to Kazami, then promptly started heading deeper into the engine room. They proceeded to weave their way through the labyrinth of pipes.

Ukita said that and pointed to countless valves next to a giant tank.

That's the sprinkler system...?
Right... We have to open all the valves there...
--Got it. Leave it to me.

Watase quickly followed Ukita's instructions. The tank began to groan, and the pipes connected to it all started vibrating at once.

Good... that should take care of matters...
Great, then let's hurry back. We need to find some AD and fast.
No... I'm sorry, but I've hit my limit... I'll stay here... and make sure the system is operating normally...

Ukita had probably pushed himself considerably to do all this, which was even more evident from the pronounced fatigue on his face. So Watase left him there and navigated his way back through the pipe maze.

--Tachibana!?

Kazami was lying on the ground, collapsed. Watase frantically ran over to her.

A sickening stench filled Watase's nose. A puddle of vomit was lying nearby. It had most likely been the result of the effects of radiation exposure taking their toll on Kazami.

(--I knew it! That AD wasn't enough for her!) Just hold on, okay!? I'll find some AD in no time flat, you hear!?

Watase sped towards the ladder and slid on down.

It seemed the sprinklers were doing their job in the blocks with fires in them properly. However-- it was likely that the halls weren't clear of gas just yet.

--

Watase took the deepest breath he could, then rushed out into the hallway.

Watase found a medical box lying in the second room. He ran over to it and opened it up--

(--Found them!)

And discovered there were two AD in there. While he was overjoyed at how surprisingly quick he'd found some AD, Watase was also a bit disappointed.

(If I'd known this was lying around so close by, then I would have never hesitated to search back then. Then Tachibana wouldn't have had to suffer so much...!)

Still, now he'd secured the necessary AD for Kazami. They were still four short-- But he felt like his breath was about to run out after having run around this whole time.

(Khh...)

Watase reluctantly cut his search short and returned to the engine room.

Jun and Ena were already awake, desperately looking after Kazami as she moaned in agony.

Captain! The Lieutenant's...!
--I know! Give this to her, stat!

Watase gave one of the AD to Jun, who then quickly injected it into Kazami.

Agh, ughh...

Kazami was liberated from her pain as the AD started to take effect. She then fell unconscious. Jun immediately checked Kazami's Vital Checker.

All green... whew, that was scary.
Looks like we can take it easy for now. ...By the way, mind telling us what's going on, Captain Kasasagi? This is the engine room, isn't it?
Wait, so does that mean you already started up the sprinkler system? But I don't see Mr. Ukita anywhere.

Watase proceeded to answer their questions and explain what'd happened up until that point. Such as how they'd run through the gas and miraculously made it to the engine room. About how he and Ukita started up the sprinkler system. And how he'd only been able to get his hands on two AD--

So now that we've used one on Ms. Tachibana, we only have one more left, huh?
Yeah. There may still be some in the rooms downstairs I haven't checked yet, but--
Alrighty! Then it's my turn to go hunt down some AD!
No, I'd quit while you're ahead. Don't you remember how you fainted only a few minutes ago?
But--
No. Even I've hit my limit. If you fainted again, then who'd save you this time?
Ugh... y-yeah, I guess you've got a point...
Hey, how long will it take for the sprinkler system to finish extinguishing and ventilating everything?
Hell if I know. Ten minutes, maybe?
Ten minutes, huh... so we'll be stuck without a way to get any AD for that long, huh...

Ena said that and quietly looked at the now unconscious Kazami's face. She was probably worried that they'd end up just like her.

A heavy atmosphere hung over the entire engine room. Time then flew by without event-- And then Kazami's watch rang, informing them their last dose of AD had worn off. Kazami woke up at that moment.

Ugh... It appears I passed out...

She slowly sat up as she shook her head.

How're you feeling, Tachibana? Your face is looking a lot less pale, but better safe than sorry.
Yes, I'm feeling better, thanks to you... Moribe, Captain, Ms. Tsubakiyama... I caused you a lot of concern, didn't I?
What're you talking about? We're the ones who should be saying that.

His gait was now firm; perhaps he'd recovered his stamina.

Heeeey, the sprinkler system's functioning normally. It should be safe for us to go back down now.
I see. Sorry for making you have to tell us.
Oh, don't let it weigh on your mind. Incidentally, I think I heard an alarm a little while ago. Was I right...?

Kazami gasped in surprise.

Captain, did you find enough AD for everyone...?
Sorry... I only got two, and now there's only one left.
Huh?
Mmph... I-I see...

Silence filled the air once again. Watase began to feel an uncomfortable tingling in his skin, as if to prove that the effects of the AD had worn off. He looked around to see that everyone apart from Kazami was rubbing their arms. The Procyon read ''3090 mSv''-- A radiation level that most likely would have serious effects on those who hadn't taken any AD. Jun nervously began to talk.

So, um... who gets the last AD?

Ukita immediately answered without the slightest hesitation.

Let's use it on Yuuri.
...You're right. She's got the weakest body of us all, after all.

And at that moment--

Yuuri woke up and looked around in confusion.

You inhaled some gas and passed out. But you're okay now. We've got the sprinkler system up and running even as we speak.
So that's... what happened...

Yuuri's answer was vague, most likely because she wasn't fully awake yet.

(--Could this be symptoms of radiation exposure!?)

Watase took Yuuri's arm as anxiety well up inside him.

We'll explain the details later. It's more important that we inject you with some AD now.
Huh...?

Yuuri let out a bewildered cry at Watase's words. And as soon as she saw the AD in his hands~~

--Yuuri knocked it away.

Ah...

The AD hit a pipe and shattered into bits. And so the last precious ampule of AD that the group had saved for Yuuri was gone.

--Yuuri, how could you!?

Blood rushed to Watase's head. He then rose his hand on instinct-- but then...

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

!!

Watase writhed in pain from a sudden headache.

Ghhh...

His vision quickly grew dark.

(Is this a result of the... AD's effects... wearing off...?)

His consciousness then sank into a void--... --... --...

---- --His consciousness was in an eternal darkness. But by the time he could realize that, the darkness had ceased to be.

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

He woke up to find himself still in the engine room. He shook his hazy head and glanced at his watch. It read ''12:56 PM''--. An hour and a half had already passed.

(Where are the others...?)

Watase looked around, but no one else was there. He suddenly spotted his PDA on the ground. On the screen was a simple four word message: ''We went on ahead''. And lying next to it was an AD--.

I see... so they actually found some AD after that...

Both his headache and the discomfort in his skin were gone. Someone must have injected him with AD while he was passed out.

Okay... time for me to get going.

He didn't know where Kazami and the others were, but he couldn't just sit around doing nothing. Watase put the AD in his pocket, climbed down the ladder, and went looking for the others.

...Guess I'll go check the surveillance room first...

It would probably be easier to find the group by checking the surveillance camera footage rather than blindly wandering around LABO. With his mind made up, Watase headed over to the inner ring.

--and entered B1 of Area 3's inner ring... when a fierce roar suddenly shook the air.

Wha-- an explosion!?

Shivers ran down his spine.

(What happened!? I thought all the fires in LABO had been taken care of!)

His heart started pounding like crazy in the face of this seemingly impossible event. Watase ran through the halls as fast as he could to find out what'd happened. He then spotted clouds of dust coming from up ahead~— in the vicinity of the stairwell.

(!!)

The fireproof door to the stairwell was crushed from the inside out.

Wh-why the hell did this happen!?

Watase lost his cool and lunged into the stairwell.

The stairs leading to B2 had blown up without a trace. And to make matters worse-- something was lying at the edge of the collapsed staircase.

(What's that...?)

But it was simply too dark for him to even make out its shape. He had no choice but to go and find out what it was.

Watase gulped. He then went down the crumbling staircase one step at a time. There were only a few dozen steps, but it felt so terribly far. The closer he got, the more his body oozed with sweat. --Turn back! Something that was most likely Watase's instincts was screaming that at him. But Watase ignored the voice and kept on going. His eyes were getting more and more used to the darkness, allowing him to tell that the object he was looking at was human shaped. It had hands. A head. Arms.

(Who is it...?)

Watase went down on his knees to check the person's identity. It was none other than--

--Tachibana!?

As soon as he realized it was her, he could clearly make out Kazami's face in the darkness.

Hey, Tachibana! Hang in there!

Watase panicked and desperately took her into his arms. But it was strange... She was light-- too light. It was only then that Watase finally noticed it. --The lower half of her body was gone.

A-AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Watase immediately looked for it. But he couldn't find it anywhere. Blood trickled down to the floor of B2 from Kazami's dangling intestines.

O-O—OWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

A feral howl escaped from Watase's throat. An howl full of an unidentified emotion that could not be interpreted as either anger or sorrow. --Just then... Someone appeared behind Watase.

!!

Watase tried to turn around right away-- but it was already too late.

!!!???

When he came to his senses, he was in pitch-black darkness. He fell head first as he continued to hold on to the upper half of Kazami's body. --And a second later, the crown of his head smashed into the ground. His skull broke, causing something to start leaking out of it.

...Ugh, agh...

A bizarre noise came out of his mouth. And so the last thing Watase ever saw as he lay in that darkness-- --was the hollow look on Kazami's face lying next to him...

...we'll do better next time.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
AD continues to be a sketchy-rear end substance.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Forgot to vote, but a bad end is pretty much what I expected if our sense was too high. It's fine, this is a bad end I would have wanted to see either way.

Is the curly braces voice actually Yuuri after all or someone else warning us not to mess with her? Dunno if she's lying about her meager telepathy skills or not but maybe she can project psychic blasts at least. No way that was AD wearing off.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Isn't it weird that the psychic voice came back right when the AD was wearing off? I don't know what AD is exactly, but it's starting to feel less like a radiation drug and more like... a mental inhibitor? We were murdered the second we ran out of AD, so maybe it's doing something for everyone's sanity, but that doesn't explain why Yuuri keeps rejecting the stuff.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

tiistai posted:

Is the curly braces voice actually Yuuri after all or someone else warning us not to mess with her? Dunno if she's lying about her meager telepathy skills or not but maybe she can project psychic blasts at least. No way that was AD wearing off.

For what it's worth, the curly braces voice is male and doesn't sound like anything we've heard before. Dunno if I've mentioned this before.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

TheMcD posted:

For what it's worth, the curly braces voice is male and doesn't sound like anything we've heard before. Dunno if I've mentioned this before.

Oh, maybe you didn't or I missed it. I didn't think it was voice acted at all. Either way I suppose that's better, it would've been more confusing if it was Yuuri.

Are Watase's lines voice acted, by the way? :v:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

tiistai posted:

Are Watase's lines voice acted, by the way? :v:

Yeah. Everybody has a voice, even minor characters like "Researcher 1" in the intro.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Alright, good. I still assume it's some kind of psychic possession, but who's doing it? I guess the options left are the Tenkawa boy that we haven't heard speak yet (I presume) or a tenth person (who could be what "the monster" is referring to).

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Run & Search: 09/16/2030, 11:12

Alright, so this time around, we're doing it right. Watase's Sense of himself goes all the way down.

Watase had already figured out the answer to that question.

--Tachibana! Bring everyone up the ladder!
Captain!? What do you think you're doing!?
I'm gonna go back into the gas one more time and look for AD!

Watase said that, took a deep breath, and rushed out of the room.

Captain! Please wait, Captain!

Kazami's cries fell on deaf ears--

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

He kept his breath held completely all the while. He believed that there was AD in one of the several offices that lined the outer ring.

But there was an iron box lying in the second room.

Watase ran over to it and opened it up. Inside of it was-- some AD. But only two ampules of it.

(This isn't enough!!)

Watase shoved the AD in his pocket and tossed the medical box aside. He needed four more to keep everyone, especially Kazami, alive. He needed four more to keep everyone, especially Kazami, alive.

(Goddammit, there's nothing here!)

Going through a second round of anaerobic exercise was particularly harsh on Watase. Though it was still easier than when he'd been carrying Jun and Yuuri.

(This would be so much easier if I could just breathe...!)

His lungs were seeking oxygen so desperately that his heart felt like it was going to explode. He put up with it and entered the next room--

Pitch black smoke spread, sending a striking pain through his eyes.

(Great, so not only do I have to hold my breath, but now I'm against fire!?)

If there was any AD in there, he had to get it now or it would be incinerated. But Watase could very well lose his life for real searching in a place like this.

Huh. A yellow branch, asking us about Watase. Well, having a low Sense of himself made him willing to dive into danger, so let's keep going with that?

...uh...

(I can't hold out much longer... can I make it!?)

...poo poo.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Knockdown

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

Watase turned his back on the room.

♪ BGM: Abyss

(... Goddammit!)

Watase clenched his fists as he stood in that lethal gas. --They needed four more ampules of AD. Four people would be exposed to radiation if he didn't find some quickly.

(I don't... I don't want to let anyone die!)

He held his ground and turned back. He then ran into the room while cursing himself for his moment of weakness.

(Is there anything in it!?)

Watase ran over to the box and opened it up. Inside were five ampules of AD.

(They're here...!)

Watase grabbed the box and took it with him. But he then hit his limit. Watase's consciousness started fading from oxygen deprivation.

And then, as his body thirsted for air-- The dam within him finally broke down.

--*gasp*

By the time he came to his senses, he was breathing. But a second later-- He felt an intense suffocating sensation, like someone had jammed silk floss down his throat.

Gaah... agh... haah...!?

His whole body went rigid in mere moments. His five senses went faint, and his line of sight started blacking out.

(Let me... Let me get this AD to everyone, if nothing else...!)

But his body wouldn't move. The flames closed in on him.

(Someone... help... me... I... I can't br...--)

--Watase's consciousness then shut off, and before long, vanished completely.

...I'll do better next time?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Alone Desire is definitely the name of a legitimate medical substance.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
"Showing weakness", come the gently caress on

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

This senses stuff is completely arbitrary. Who's supposed to guess when a high sense of self equates to confidence rather than self preservation at different times?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Clearly we just need to modify my original suggestion (which, way back when, was "max everyone all the time for social links"). Put everyone at 8 except Watase, who is put to 7. That way it's high but still lower than everyone else. Problem solved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dunno what you're all complaining about, arbitrary deaths are part of the fun :v:

• Locked thread