Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Unlocking Scenes - Ukita

Alright, it's time to start with the Xtend Episode, and we're off with a bang, as Ukita's selection of scenes is pretty much entirely comprised of scenes we've already seen - here marked in white, because I've already gone through them (the scenes being ''Defragment'', ''Conflict'', ''Interlace'', ''Enter'', and ''Debug: A'', ''Debug: B'' and ''Debug: C'', so essentially all of Ukita's memories and RAM segment). What we're left with is one new scene, one locked scene, and one old scene with a Senses input that unlocks the locked scene. So we're going to be taking at all the old scenes with Senses inputs that have new material. Which in this case is one. Well, they can't all be epics.

So during Garbage Collection, we now get this new Senses input.

There are two possible answers here, putting Ukita's Sense of self either at the very bottom, or in the middle. The answer that unlocks a new chapter and brings us some new lines is the former.

I know it's late for me to be saying this, but I am grateful for you covering for me. Our ways of thinking may differ, but you really are an amazing person...
...Mr. Ukita.
You know, Dr. Tenkawa, if it were ever possible... I wish that we could work together once again.

Saying that, he felt just a brief twinge of hesitation.

(... Perhaps I would have been happier being in the dark... I could have simply devoted myself to researching the unknown alongside Dr. Tenkawa. But--)

Ukita had learned the truth about LABO. He gritted his teeth as he continued speaking to Dr. Tenkawa.

Dr. Tenkawa, please... please never forget your conscience, if nothing else. Not as a scientist, but as a human.
...I already know that. No need to tell me.

Feeling a bit relieved by those words, Ukita left her.

(Professor... I hope that you'll always act in accordance with that sentiment.)

--But an unexpected change happened on his way home that day.

And from that point on, the scene stays the same.

And this unlocks a new scene for us to view. If there were more scenes that unlocked things, this is where they'd go, but alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Virus: 08/15/2028, 20:39

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

Q: We pleaded our case to the world: 'it is only a natural right to not want others reading your mind'.

That was what he told Ukita. At the time, Ukita took little notice about that tidbit-- but in hindsight, he found it concerning.

(It appears Q was operating as a citizen group back in the day... which means the name Q was known to the world back then? So the organization called ''Q'' already existed when the Great Rokumei City Arson occurred...?)

Ukita had been 19 at the time, but he'd never heard of any group or organization with that name.

--he got that answer.

What does that mean...?
Sonezaki: We called ourselves by a different name back then. It was only long after the Great Rokumei City Arson that we started calling ourselves 'Q'. As I told you earlier, we were arrested under false pretenses after the Great Rokumei City Arson happened. We were sentenced unnaturally quickly as well. We then spent three years in prison. By the time we were released and saw the world outside the walls of that prison for the first time in years, society had undergone a massive change...

Sonezaki: All for the crime of speaking what was on our minds.
...Back then... you truly were guiltless, weren't you?
Sonezaki: That's right. Thus we revived our organization once again to plead our innocence. ...But Rokumei City's statesmen were far more cunning than we'd imagined. Once they learned of the revival of our organization, they just tried to use us as part of their scheme to maintain public order.

What!? Why would they do that!?
Sonezaki: It made it easier for them to maintain public order that way, that's why. The statesmen branded us with the name of 'Q'-- in other words 'those of questionable origin' and framed us up as a fictional terrorist organization. That lie was taken by society to be the truth. The story went that 'there's a Japanese organization that hates Communicators'. 'They're the worst kind of terrorists there are: the ones who caused the Great Rokumei City Arson.' 'The Communicators are unfortunate victims. But they can live in peace if they come to government designated top-secret cities.' ...Everyone just soaked up those lies like a sponge. In other words, we were made a scapegoat all in the name of public order.
...!
Sonezaki: Now do you understand? This is how our organization came to be. If our enemies branded us as terrorists, we would turn that falsehood into reality... That is the source of our desire for revenge.

Those words made Ukita shudder in fear.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

(I can understand why he feels that way, but still...!)

Regardless of the reasons behind Q and Ukita's methods, they were still acts of terrorism at the end of the day. Even if their opinions fell on deaf ears otherwise, resorting to acts of destruction was far too removed from the rules of society. But the ''society'' that Q hated so much-- in other words, ''Rokumei City''-- had also fallen far off the beaten track from those rules.

(Just how long... will this chain of malice continue?)

He felt something was wrong with Q's opinion. That said, he didn't know who was in the right.

(No... maybe nobody is in the right here...!)

--He suddenly remembered a passage from a book he had read as a child. ''He who looks upon everyone as monsters soon becomes the real monster himself.'

(Then who... is the monster? A? Q? The Rokumei City government...? Or...!?)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Network: 07/01/2028, 21:43

Finally, we have the scene that we unlocked.

As they took a break, they discussed topics that weren't directly related to their work...

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 1

Why do you think that is?

It was a sudden question, so Ukita thought over it for a bit before answering.

Good question. Well, when you consider it in terms of the orthogenesis theory--

Tips posted:

TIP: Orthogenesis
Category: Nonfiction

The theory that each species has an intrinsic drive to evolve towards a set direction, and once that direction is set, the species' organs transform in a unilinear fashion towards that direction.

The essential examples given as evidence for this intrinsic drive are the seemingly impractical sizes of the mammoth's teeth and the Irish elk's horns. However, these traits could just as well be used to support the theory of natural selection: though they may seem impractical now, the animals lived in the Ice Age, and those adaptations were suited for the environment at the time. Alternatively, it could also be evidence of the Fisherian runaway theory in that the exaggerated traits were meant to attract mates. Today, there are many varying explanations for the appearance of these traits, and thus, support for orthogenesis is becoming scarce.

Perhaps Communicators are increasing in number because they're better suited for modern society than typical humans?
In other words, you're saying that they're an evolution of humanity that was born so they could adapt to this ever complicating society, huh.
That's right. Up until this point, the more complicated society has gotten, the more communication methods mankind has developed. But recently, great turmoil has come with the complication of society. Then BC was brought into this world-- Perhaps it's a power God gave to humanity so they could adapt to this new society.
Oh my... I didn't take you for such a romanticist.

Ukita, feeling like she now saw him as a bit childish, quickly grew embarrassed.

...Well, it's not exactly a unique idea.
True, it is a rather common theory. But I have a different idea.
Oh? What would that be, if I may ask?
First of all, it's said that when individuals are placed in areas of high BC particle energy concentration, their IGF2R genes mutate.
Indeed. The mutation's caused by the WX particles, yes?
Correct. But I believe this is caused not only by WX particles, but also M particles.
Huh?
In other words, when a Communicator uses BC, the BC particle energy levels around them increase-- Which then meddles slightly with the genes of those living nearby, causing genetic mutations. It probably has a huge effect on unborn children in particular. In other words, the more BC is used, the more new Communicators are born. Perhaps that means we are in fact in the dawn of a new era caused by that process?
I see... so essentially, you're saying that Communicators don't appear as the result of evolution, but rather due to a genetic mutation phenomenon caused by their own hand.
That's right. What's more, there have been much more newborn Communicators from 2014 onwards. Also, the birth rate of Communicators has been gradually increasing ever since. I believe my theory is plausible when you compare those two points.
Interesting... that seems to explain everything much more concisely. After all, there are all sorts of erratic theories that go along with the whole 'Communicators are the next stage in evolution for humans' idea.
Huh?
I have heard of another opinion. In brief-- 'Communicators are not the next step in human evolution. Rather, they are a so-called ''ancient race'' that existed in the distant past. That ancient race aimed to build a powerful society where mankind was of one mind through BC. But overuse of BC in that society caused homogeneity among everyone's consciousnesses as a whole, and thus their individual selves faded away. As a result, they grew unable to deal with sudden situations like natural disasters, and were wiped out in one fell swoop.' ...
...That is indeed quite erratic.
I agree, but I also feel it's plausible. Understanding others' emotions too much should never be considered, wouldn't you agree?
I suppose so. But when you take that theory and combine it with my own... 'The Communicator population is currently growing at an accelerating rate. And if their population increases and they overuse BC, then mankind's consciousness will reach homogeneity, widening the path to our extinction. So if left unchecked, humanity's future is in danger.' That's the conclusion you'd get.
...I suppose it would be.

Silence reigned between them for a moment. But Dr. Tenkawa soon broke out into a smile and continued.

I'm kidding. I don't believe we'd go extinct so quickly.
R-right, of course.
Even if humanity is fated to proceed down the path to extinction, we'll find a way to keep that from happening. I'm sure of it. When you think of it that way, it makes this thankless job we can't tell anyone about... completely worth it, don't you think?
That's quite true. I believe that as well.

Ukita then returned her smile. Times like this in between their shifts of hard work felt very pleasant to him. --But only a week later... Ukita discovered LABO's secret and split away from Dr. Tenkawa. As a result, there was a part of each other's minds that they'd never learn about. Though they couldn't use BC, if they'd only just talked to each other a little more, they could have reached some level of understanding.

Tips posted:

TIP: Keiji Ukita
Category: Fiction

Natsuhiko's neighbor, a Junior Fellow at LABO.

He dedicated himself wholeheartedly to research for research's sake at LABO, a facility known worldwide for its discovery of useful applications of science. However, after he met Miyoko Tenkawa and came in contact with her way of thinking, he began to think of what he personally wanted to accomplish with science and what he could do. The practical implementations of BC insulators used in LABO and Rokumei Academy are largely due to his research.

He hates injustice by nature and once he's made up his mind on a goal, he obstinately works hard to reach it. As a result, it's easy to see how once he learned of LABO's dark side of human experimentation, he accepted Q's invitation and became a terrorist overnight. He drafted up the basic plan for the LABO terrorist attack and under Q's instruction, he got Watase on board and set the plan in action. However, his plan was derailed when Natsuhiko erased Watase's memory via Senses Sympathy.

Now that he has properly atoned for his crime, he spends his days cooperating with Miyoko and the others to create a transparent BC research facility.

And that's it for Ukita's Xtend Episode scenes. Next up will be Mashiro.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 7, 2017

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

You'll never convince me this guy is only 35

Whit27
Oct 14, 2012

Wh-What do you mean that's the actual plot?!

freshlybaked posted:

You'll never convince me this guy is only 35

What do you mean? He celebrated his 20th 35th birthday last year.

Of course, maybe he's secretly a communicator and in addition to dying young, they age faster as well. Either that or he's in an anime. I''ll never really understand why ages in anime/jrpgs sometimes seem to be written from the perspective of a 12 year old.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Honestly if it was just the grey hair, I could handwave it as anime hair color weirdness. But no, he's clearly got male pattern baldness going on too.

Whit27 posted:

I''ll never really understand why ages in anime/jrpgs sometimes seem to be written from the perspective of a 12 year old.
Because most of the time the target audience is 12 year olds(or people with the maturity levels of one). :v:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Unlocking Scenes - Mashiro

Now, Mashiro has multiple scenes that we need to go through in order to unlock other scenes, and one even has two Senses inputs, so let's get to it. The one that isn't different is ''Memories: Magnetic Rose''.

Our first input is during ''When Cicada's Season Is Over'' (which I now realize I miswrote back when we got to this chapter in Route Before, calling it ''When Cicada Season Is Over''. Oh well.).

And here, the correct input is to set Mashiro's Sense of Yuuri high.

Yuuri had an ever-gentle smile on her face. Yuuri had told her she was cute, even when nobody else would treat her like a girl. Yuuri had praised her cooking whenever they played house. --Yuuri was the gentlest, cutest girl that Mashiro wanted to be... Mashiro's memories of Yuuri came and went in her mind.

(Hey, Yuuri... it was only about a year ago that we met, huh? I've admired you ever since that day. I thought that if we kept hanging out together, I'd grow up to be a lovely girl just like you... But... I never thought we'd have to say goodbye just a year later...!)

But even as sadness filled Mashiro's heart, just one other thing remained-- Her worry for Natsuhiko.

And from then on, the chapter goes as normal. The changes aren't exactly all that major, as I'm sure you've noticed.

This is the first choice in ''Sonata in B♭''. In general, high Senses are usually the way to go.

No matter how much Mashiro spoke, Natsuhiko would not respond. --But even so, she would come speak with him as she believed that was the only way to bring him back to reality.

Last year we had a test of courage, we freed Sirius, we investigated the Seven Wonders, and lotsa other stuff. Good times, huh? Actually, during that test of courage, I heard a ghost's voice, you know? I was too scared to talk about it back then, but it was evidence for one of the wonders. Cool, huh? I kinda wanted to go on a 'solution mission' this year too, but you know--

From then on, it's the same until the second choice.

Mashiro suddenly realized just how much her own voice was trembling. Her vision had blurred before she noticed.

...Natsuhiko...

Mashiro touched Natsuhiko's cheek. She could feel his body warmth through the palm of her hand. --He was warm. Blood was flowing through his veins. He was certainly there right in front of her, and yet they couldn't exchange words. Even though she could touch him, his mind was somewhere else, far away--

... Natsuhiko...

Mashiro touched his lips. She brushed up his hair. She brought her own lips close to his--... But stopped.

(... What am I doing...?)

This wasn't some fairy tale. There was no way that'd wake Natsuhiko up. He wouldn't wake up no matter what she did. Mashiro muttered without expecting any response.

...Hey, Natsuhiko. I'm so lonely... I want to play with you like we did back then.

More tears spilled as she uttered those words. Her sobs echoed through the quiet hospital room. --But then--

... ...Ugh...

She heard the voice she had been waiting to hear.

And then it proceeds as normal.

This then unlocks one of the new chapters.

I think you know the drill by now.

Mashiro did indeed suffer a deep wound after losing her close friend. She was honestly happy that she could still talk to the deceased Yuuri by using empathy on Natsuhiko. But naturally, that couldn't have been her only reason.

(Then what have all these nine years been for...?)

--She had a faint idea of the real reason. But she felt that accepting that reason would mean betraying Yuuri's memory--... And that was why Mashiro would not think about it. So she took care to only touch upon harmless and inoffensive topics when talking with Natsuhiko.

...Does it taste good, Natsuhiko?
Hmm? Yeah, it's good.
Oh, glad to hear it.

It was just a casual, simple conversation. But for Mashiro, it was good enough for now...

And that ends the chapter.

Like their nostalgic chat in the park illuminated by the glow of the setting sun. Even if that peace were only temporary, it was an irreplaceable treasure to her.

...Hey, Natsuhiko.
Hmm?
Do you remember that time... When you, Yuuri, and I used to run around this place?
Yeah, of course I do... That really brings me back.
...It was probably around that time... That I fell in love with you, Natsuhiko.

Natsuhiko's eyes widened at those words.

Huh...?
You were kind of a bully, but you were nice when the time called for it. You were kind of different from the other boys. We always got into fights with each other, but to be honest, I wanted to get along with you better. I didn't understand at the time 'cause I was just a little kid, but I think that was my first crush.
... That was your first crush...? So how about now?
I still love you. As a friend. But you've got Yuuri, don't you?
...Yeah.
So, well... that's that. You see, right now... I think I'm happier watching over you and Yuuri.

--She had no other way to confess her feelings. Natsuhiko cast down his eyes and smiled sadly.

I see...

When he murmured those words-- a gentle breeze blew, enveloping the two of them. Mashiro gazed at his face from the side and silently prayed. That one day, she'd be able to make this transient confession a reality...

And that ends the chapter. But after that...

Were the true events how Natsuhiko remembered them... Or what I just now saw of how Mashiro remembered them...? There's no longer any way to know for sure. But a new memory of Mashiro's floats now before me-- A memory she had looked away alongside her intense feelings for Natsuhiko...

And so now we've got a fair share of new scenes to look through. But that'll be for next time.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Camouflage City: 09/13/2030, 18:55

Alright, now let's get on to the new scenes for Mashiro.

Mashiro tried to tell Natsuhiko about how she heard a terrorist's voice on the bus... But he wouldn't take her seriously.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

...I see. You really have changed then, haven't you, Natsuhiko... If you really love being safe so much, then just lock yourself up in this house forever! I can't count on you for anything anymore, Natsuhiko! Goodbye!
H-hey, wait a second, Mashiro!

--Mashiro ran out of the Tenkawa residence while ignoring Natsuhiko's calls to stop. And thus, Mashiro began to investigate by herself--

As a light rain fell, Mashiro skipped school and headed for the city gates. She thought that if she couldn't get Natsuhiko to believe her, then she might as well look for the terrorists by herself. As she waited for the bus to take her to the city gate, Mashiro thought to herself.

(Dammit, Natsuhiko... I always listen to everything you have to say... How's about returning the favor...? Normally, you're supposed to jump to a beautiful girls rescue when she's in fear, right?)

Her anger from the previous night still hadn't subsided. Her irritation towards Natsuhiko set free the dissatisfaction she usually suppressed.

(Besides, I think Natsuhiko's looking down on me a bit too...! Even though I'm like the perfect woman, if I do say so myself. I'm so cute, and cheerful, and gentle, and I'm even good at cooking, too. I'm even at the equivalent of Ability Level 5. That's top class in all of Japan. But still, that Natsuhiko...! He's just taking advantage of how we're childhood friends! He never does a thing to take it a step further!)

Now that it had come to this, she had no choice but to find the terrorist herself and make Natsuhiko admit he was wrong.

(But even if Natsuhiko kneels down and grovels before me, I'm still not gonna let him off the hook... he he heh. How should I punish him... Oh, I know! I'll make Natsuhiko serve me as a butler for an entire day! He'll have to prepare black tea, pull out chairs for me, and pamper me all day! ... ...Natsuhiko in a butler suit, huh... Aww, that's so great. So moe...) Wait, no! I'm getting off track here!

Mashiro's train of thought derailed that far before she quickly pulled herself back together.

(Right, right. I'm searching for terrorists now. I shouldn't let my time waiting for the bus go to waste. First I gotta gather some information...)

Mashiro took out her PDA and connected to the internet. She had already done a simple preliminary investigation yesterday. What terrorist organization could be lurking about the city? It was probably the largest domestic anti-BC organization, ''Q''.

Well, it's not like you can trust everything you read on the internet, though...

As Mashiro muttered that, she looked up a site that compiled information relating to Q. There were several interesting articles.

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Mashiro finished reading that article and muttered to herself.

That organization's name was 'the Anti-BC League'... The Anti-BC League members were arrested as the culprits behind the Great Arson, huh...

But after they were released, they changed their name and continued their activities all over Japan, it seemed. And now, 16 years after the Great Arson, they had descended upon this city once again to cause another incident.

(Why do they hate Communicators so much...?)

The man on the bus yesterday even mentioned ''putting an end to this town's history''. Mashiro couldn't understand that line of thought at all, but--

(... It's still kind of scary...)

The fear she felt yesterday came back.

(... I'm so afraid, but Natsuhiko won't come save me, will he? Hmph. Stupid Natsuhiko. You're so useless. Heartless, even.)

Mashiro forcefully drove away her fear using her anger toward Natsuhiko as a distraction. --And right around that time, the bus arrived.

Oh, here it comes. Awwright, how 'bout we forget dumb ol' Natsuhiko and set off on a journey of justice~? ...And by 'we', I mean 'me'. Teehee.

Mashiro muttered to herself in a lonely voice before boarding the bus.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

In A Corner of This World: 09/16/2030, 17:42

Mashiro looked at Natsuhiko and Yuuri and secretly thought to herself.

(... I'm such a bad girl...)

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

almost snuggling up next to Natsuhiko. Mashiro sighed softly enough that nobody would notice.

(I've got such a pitch black mind... I'm the complete opposite of my name...)

The name ''Mashiro'' was given to her by her mother who had wanted to raise a girl as pure as the color white. But Mashiro was now tormented by the feelings her mother had placed into her name. --Mashiro was surprised from the bottom of her heart to have learned that Yuuri was alive. Her surprise soon turned into happiness. But even so, for a split second, she had another thought: ''If Yuuri's alive, then I don't have a chance... She's going to take Natsuhiko away.'' --She had that thought even though Yuuri was a precious friend to her. Even though Yuuri had gone to LABO instead of her, and wasted nine years of her life.

(I'm the worst...! People's lives and livelihoods are at stake here, and I have the audacity to think about love...?)

Even if it was for just a second, she really could not forgive herself for feeling bitter about her best friend's survival. And now that she had learned of Yuuri's devotion and love, she couldn't just ignore it. There was no possible way for her to ignore Yuuri's feelings and enjoy her own romance with Natsuhiko.

(... I guess I really should back out, then. I'll watch over the two of them like I always have...)

Once Mashiro had that thought, Yuuri glanced her way.

!
...? What's wrong, Mashiron?
N-no, it's nothing. I was just thinking that Ms. Tachibana's really taking her time getting here, huh?

She tried to smooth things over and look away. But she still felt Yuuri's gaze upon her.

(Please don't look, Yuuri... You're the last person I can reveal these feelings to...!)

With that thought in mind, she tried to close her heart, but then-- Yuuri's voice echoed in her head.

{M-Mashiron... could it be... That you thought I was going to take Hikorin away from you...?}
(!?)

Mashiro gasped and asked back with telepathy.

{Yuuri, no way... You read my mind?}
{... No, I didn't. I just thought that if I were you, I'd be feeling the same thing... I was thinking I'd back out too.}
{Huh...?}

Noticing the sorrow in Yuuri's expression, Mashiro bit her lip. Yuuri looked at Mashiro and continued.

{But Mashiron... that's not good for either of us. We can't keep on thinking that it's okay to make sacrifices for the sake of others.}
{Wh-why? You've sacrificed your life for Natsuhiko, haven't you?}
{That's exactly why. Mashiron, you see, I've lived my life thinking it would be okay to make sacrifices if it made everyone else happy. But today... I've gradually begun to notice something. That way of thinking just leads to everyone losing lots of things.}
{...}
{Mashiron, you've always loved Hikorin, haven't you...? Are you going to abandon those feelings? That won't make me happy at all!}
{... Yuuri.}

Mashiro's chest tightened as she heard Yuuri's mental voice. Mashiro knew. Yuuri wasn't just saying that to be nice. She was really thinking about Mashiro from the bottom of her heart. It was true. If Mashiro backed out now, she would have wasted nine years of her life thinking about Natsuhiko.

(But if I backed out... Would Yuuri be able to have a proper romance with Natsuhiko...?)

--Of course not. Just a minute ago, Mashiro was thinking about how she wouldn't have been able to, either. No matter how far apart they were, no matter how different their environments were, Mashiro and Yuuri had still lived with similar thoughts. If either of them backed out, it would cause tension between them and fundamentally change how they could act around Natsuhiko. And in the end, it could leave everyone unhappy.

(Then for everyone to be happy...!)

Mashiro looked at Yuuri and sent her telepathy. She mustered up the courage to give her near decade-long friend a decisive declaration.

{... Hey, Yuuri.}
{Wh-what?}
{In that case, let's fight over Natsuhiko, fair and square.}

It was Mashiro's first clear declaration of rivalry with Yuuri. Yuuri's face shined at the sound of those words.

♪ BGM: Double Bible (Instrumental Arrange)

{Sure! Ah, but... even if you say we're gonna fight... I don't think I can win against you, Mashiron...}
{Well, the feeling's mutual.}
{R-really?}
{Well, yeah, really. I know I told you this when we first met, but-- You're so gosh-darn cute, Yuuri. You're like a doll, and you're super gentle too. I've always admired you.}
{--}

Yuuri's face turned bright red at those words.

{Th-thank you, Mashiron... In that case, I'll be confident and give it my best.}
{Good. That's exactly what I want to hear.}

The two of them smiled at each other. They then glanced at Natsuhiko as he stared at the surveillance monitor.

{Good grief... How come two beautiful girls like us gotta fight over such a plain guy like him?}
{Teehee, I know, right?}
{Well he doesn't seem all that reliable on his own... so how about we help him out until everyone can escape?}
{So we're calling a truce until we get out of here, then?}
{No, Yuuri. Not a truce. An alliance.}

Mashiro answered Yuuri with a smile. --Mashiro felt the darkness filling her mind quietly dissipate. She realized that she had been waiting forever for this day. The day she could find herself in the cliched, yet healthy youthful situation of fighting with the friend she loved over the boy they both loved. And she was sure that if she gave it her very best, without holding back for her best friend-- Then even if her love were to crumble, it would crumble without a single regret.

{... Thank you, Yuuri... I'm so glad to be your friend.}

And with those final words, their time that had been frozen for nine years-- Began to move once again.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
You've been doing a real bang-up job here, man.

Unlike Mashiro.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So here's something I've been working on, and I want to share this with you.

This is my personal copy of the soundtrack to this game, created from the original files in the game I recently managed to extract. These sound files should be a bit better to listen to than the Youtube uploads - for one thing, they don't cut off right before the end of the track, and instead loop once, then fade out.

I've greatly come to enjoy the soundtrack to this game. The calming tones of tracks like "Peacemaker", "Individualist" and "Quiet Days of Rokumei City", the haunting ambience of "Evil and Nightmares", the intensity of "Approaching Death" and "Pose the Question to this World"... honestly, it's become one of my favorite soundtracks in my collection, and believe you me, I've got quite the collection.

Of course, part of that is because of the memories I've now made with this game. LPing a game is always a special experience - it allows you to discover many new things about games you already loved, and share that love with others. And when that love is requited, it makes it all the better. It might sound sappy - and that's because it is - but with this LP's finish line coming into view more and more, I've really come to appreciate this thread. I've never really had what I would consider to be active threads, so it was quite the pleasant surprise to see all the theorizing and speculation you brought to the table, and I greatly enjoyed attempting to get you to come to false conclusions - even if you did generally catch on to what I was doing. Even when you were arguing about just how horrible a person Miyoko is, I enjoyed the enthusiasm about the story you were having.

Just like Natsuhiko, Mashiro, Salyu, Yuuri and Miyoko, we're a dysfunctional family of our own. We don't agree with each other on everything, but we still have a connection between us all that brings us together, and at the end of the day, that connection is precious to me. It makes the hours and hours of work I put into this all worth it.

I'm not going to add this post to the OP for when I send it off to be added to the LP Archive - this is just my little way of saying thanks to those of you that are still around.

Download the soundtrack here

I like putting passwords on files I upload for no particular reason, so this one is encrypted as well. The password is "subjectnisthelight".

It's been a long road so far, but we're almost at the end. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go sleep, because when I get this sentimental, it's usually because I'm tired and prone to drifting off into these kinds of thoughts - and listening to music like "Peacemaker" is making it even easier to drift off.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Aww :shobon: I haven't posted much because I didn't want to accidentally give anything away, but I've really enjoyed reading everyone's speculation and your commentary.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Translucent: 06/01/2020, 13:15

Back then, Mashiro was a boyish girl who bustled about town alongside the boys. The secret base that Mashiro was currently in was also a place they had found while bustling about town. The boys all called her a tomboy. And naturally, the one who started calling her that--

(I'm not gonna let him use this secret base...!)

♪ BGM: Helper / Theme of Mashiro

The boys around her nodded to her whispers. Mashiro had taken three boys to the secret base to play. Without telling Natsuhiko, of course.

Boy A: I know, but still~...
Boy B: I don't think he'd come even if we did tell him. That Natsuhiko's been acting weird lately.
Weird? How?
Boy C: Well~ he's been kinda fidgety and he's been looking kinda down. He just doesn't seem like his normal self.
Boy B: Someone said they saw him with some mystery girl too, you know?
Boy A: Yeah, I heard that too. She's 'parently in elementary school too.
Huh!?

Deep down, Mashiro was surprised to hear that. She never heard anything about Natsuhiko getting along with a girl before. It bothered her a little as to what sort of girl she was, but--

(But who cares about that guy! I know I don't, that's for sure!)

It was annoying to think about Natsuhiko-related things, so she dropped the matter.

Boy C: I bet she's his girlfriend now. My sister told me that boys get fidgety when they get girlfriends.
Boy A: A girlfriend, huh... Natsuhiko's a perv, huh?
Boy B: Yup, such a perv. Boys who get along with girls are pervs. It's common sense.
P-pervs...!? ...Huh? What does that make you guys? You're with me...
Boy A: But you're not a girl, Mashiro.
Boy B: You're a tomboy. Hahahah!
Mm, mmm....

Despite her half-hearted answer, Mashiro was irritated on the inside. She didn't know why. She knew she was being teased, but it wasn't just that.

Well, whatever. Who cares about him? Hmph!

Mashiro turned her face away with a pout. Whatever the boring reason was, it wasn't like she was going to figure it out like that.

Despite all the things she'd said, it bothered her to hear about Natsuhiko being with a girl.

I'll go tease him if they're together! Eeheehee! I'll make him sorry he ever called me a tomboy!

She held that determination in her heart, and when she actually got to the park--

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

(!? Could she be the girl everyone's been talking about...?)

Mashiro had never seen that girl before. Even though she pretty much knew all the girls and boys in the neighborhood-- So Mashiro decided to call out to her.

Hey, are you waiting for Natsuhiko?
Huh...?

The girl slowly turned around to face her. There was something elegant behind that gesture. Mashiro found herself overwhelmed.

Yeah. I'm waiting for Natsuhiko.
Hmm, I see. (She seems a like calm girl... and she's cute, like a doll...) Um... what's your name?
Yuuri. And you...?
Me? I'm Mashiro! Mashiro Toba!
Oh, so you're Mashiro? I've heard about you from Natsuhiko.
Huh!? What?
Well, he said you're good at getting along with anyone. He said you'd be my friend too!
Huh!? Th-that jerk! Don't go deciding things on your own...
Huh... S-so you won't be my friend then...?
Ah, no, that's not it! No, no! I will, I will!

Mashiro found herself unable to say no to Yuuri's puppy dog eyes. But it wasn't as if Mashiro were entirely reluctant. There was something about Yuuri that Mashiro was drawn to as well.

Wanna have a chat?
Yeah!

The two sat on a bench and talked. During their conversation, Mashiro found herself fascinated by Yuuri's every little gesture. Each gesture was sweet, somewhat subdued, yet quite beautiful.

(And compared to her...)

Mashiro looked at herself. Her suntanned skin. Her plain clothes. She couldn't see herself pulling off such feminine gestures. The only thing she could really pride herself in in the slightest was her hair which her mother tied up for her. That was why Mashiro admired Yuuri and wanted to be her friend.

And then... huh?
Hmm? What's wrong?
Oh, you just seemed like you were spacing out a little, so... Was my story boring...?
Huh!? No, not at all! I just had a few things on my mind, that's all!

It was too embarrassing to admit she was fascinated by her.

Geez~... you gotta be more confident in yourself, Yuuri!
M-mmm... I think so too, but...
But?

Yuuri paused and hung her head a little-- And then she murmured as if she were talking to herself.

Actually, I...
Yeah?
I've always been worrying... that I'd never have any friends... Natsuhiko was the first friend I made, but I haven't made any other friends... So I don't really know how to make friends or anything like that...
Mmm... but you're so cute! That's weird~

Yuuri's eyes opened wide.

C-cute...?
H-huh? Did I say something strange?
Awawawah... Nobody's ever told me that before. But you're way cuter than me, Mashiro.
Huh? Huh!?

Mashiro was shocked by that unexpected statement. The boys called her a tomboy. So naturally they all treated her like a boy. And as a result, Mashiro unconsciously began to think of herself as one too. So that was the first time she had been told she was ''cute'', and it really sank deep into her heart.

...No! But! You're much cuter, Yuuri!
No, you're the cute one, Mashiro.
You're cuter, Yuuri!
No, you are, Mashiro!
...pfft.
Tee hee.
We're kinda strange, aren't we?
But we're having fun, aren't we?
Yeah!

Mashiro was quite happy, to be honest. Not only did she make friends with Yuuri, but Yuuri had also told her that she was cute, which made her happier more than anything.

(Such a cute girl told me I'm cute too...)

That day, for the first time in her life, Mashiro felt proud as a girl.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

There's sugar all over my screen because of these kids.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm torn between :3: and "hey guys, did you know that Mashiro is A TOMBOY and NOT VERY FEMININE? Let's repeat it 5 times just to make sure!".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Grateful Dead: 08/10/2030, 15:20

Uuugh, I'm scared...
I-I-I-I-It's okay, Yuuri! I'm here for you!
Mashiro, your voice is trembling~
Shut up, Natsuhiko! I'm not scared at all!

Actually, she was. But to hide her fear, she deliberately tried to speak cheerfully.

Anyway, Natsuhiko, what kinda building did this used to be?
A hospital.
A hospital?
There was a fire here years ago, see. I think somebody might have died. And I think that person's ghost might pop up here... So I'm thinking if that ghost finds living people, it might possess them...!
Eek...!
It's one of Rokumei City's Seven Wonders, you know. The rumor that a ghost appears here, I mean. I know a guy who knows a guy who saw it, so it might be real...
...!
I-I-I-I-It's okay, Yuuri! I'm here for you!
Mashiro, you already said that--
Sh-shut up, Natsuhiko!
Heheheh, well, whatever. How about we make a few rounds around this place? You can wait outside by yourself if you want to though, Mashiro...
Hmph! No way! We came all the way out here, so it'd be a waste not to go in! C'mon, let's go, Yuuri!
Y-yeah...

Mashiro grabbed Yuuri by the hand and started walking in an effort to distract herself from her fear.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

...An uncanny atmosphere filled the silent facility. Even Natsuhiko's initial enthusiasm faded into silence.

The silent air sent fear into Mashiro's heart once again.

(... Someone... died... here...!? H-hmph! That's probably just another one of Natsuhiko's lies! There's no such thing as ghosts! That's so un-science-ific! No such thing as ghosts, no such thing as ghosts, no such thing as ghosts...)

As Mashiro kept telling herself that-- She felt as if she heard a voice.

!?

Mashiro's heart pounded. When she stopped in surprise, the others gasped.

Wh-what happened!?
D-did something happen!?
W-well, I thought I just heard...

But before Mashiro could finish, the voice once again--

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

!!--

Rather than hearing it with her ears, it felt more like it was echoing right in her head. Mashiro was overcome with surprise for a moment-- and then she screamed.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHH!

That voice caused Natsuhiko and Yuuri to scream one after the other as well.

Waaaaahh!?
Kyaaahhh!
Ukkyaahhhh!

Mashiro screamed again and made a mad dash for the exit.

H-hey, wait, Mashiro!
Mashiron, wait! Mashiron!!

Natsuhiko and Yuuri screamed as they chased after her. Mashiro just kept running without looking back.

When they asked her what happened, Mashiro lied to keep up appearances. ''I tried messing around with you guys to try and surprise you.'' Yuuri tearfully said ''Mashiron, you're so mean...'' while Natsuhiko grumbled. Mashiro regretted lying, but it was too late to back down on it. And so the truth of the ghost slipped away into the darkness...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The One I Love: 09/11/2030, 20:07

The night Salyu arrived at the Tenkawa residence. Mashiro discussed with Natsuhiko about how they should handle Salyu...

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

Once Mashiro made that suggestion, Natsuhiko looked a little troubled... but then he nodded.

Okay, I guess I'll give it a shot.
That answer again?
Ah, no, it's not like I'm trying to just blow you off or anything.
Hahah, nah, it's okay. I'm counting on you. Well, see you tomorrow, Natsuhiko.
Yeah, later.

Mashiro responded with a smile and departed.

But once her house came into view-- someone suddenly called to her from the darkness.

???: Mashiro?
Hyes!?

Mashiro jumped in surprise.

Ah, sorry. I didn't mean to surprise you.
P-Professor!? What's wrong? Didn't you go back to LABO?
I wanted to talk to you, so I waited.
!
It's about Yui... I figured it'd be best if I explained a little more to you in detail.

The professor explained more about Salyu. How she had been raised by strict parents and rarely ever left home. And how the professor couldn't bear to see her like that, and temporarily took custody of her...

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

...Having Yui and Natsuhiko live together is a bit of a gamble, but... I believe it's for Natsuhiko's sake just as much as it is for Yui's.
For Natsuhiko's sake?
That boy's just a little too cold towards others, isn't he? He doesn't let his guard down around anybody except for you and Yuuri. Even though he excels at perceiving other people's minds, too.
...Right.

--He seemed completely incapable of perceiving other people's romantic advances, but Mashiro dared not mention that little detail.

But actually, Yul has the complete opposite disposition. Yui is extremely poor at perceiving other people's minds, but she dearly desires to connect with others. And while introducing those two might cause them to Clash at first... I feel that the two of them can complete each other's deficiencies.
Yeah. That seems like a good idea.

Previously, the professor, Mashiro, and Natsuhiko's doctor had thought that to treat his mental condition, they should give him more opportunities to establish deep connections with other people. That way, they could reduce his dependency on Yuuri at least a little. That was probably why the professor had arranged for Salyu to live in the Tenkawa residence, but...

But why don't you tell Natsuhiko directly? He's quite confused by this turn of events, you know?
No, you see... if -I- said it, that boy would surely oppose it...
... I guess you're right.

Mashiro smiled wryly as she looked at the professor's lack of confidence. Something amused Mashiro about how this awkward mother had trouble approaching her son. It was somehow charming how the professor never openly showed how much she cared for her son and resorted to taking secretive measures like this one.

Now, I'm sure those two will be a little uneasy just by themselves, so I want you to help bring them together... Can I count on you?
Understood. I'll help out in any way I can.
Ahh... thank you, Mashiro. I'm sorry for troubling you about Natsuhiko all the time.
True, he can be a little difficult at times~... But I don't mind at all. I look out for him because I enjoy it.

After Mashiro finished, the professor paused for a moment before asking another question.

...Excuse me, Mashiro. I've always been wondering, but... Why do you go so far for Natsuhiko's sake?
Why, you ask...?

Mashiro smiled wryly and sighed a bit.

...I guess Natsuhiko had to have gotten his denseness from somewhere, huh, Professor?
Huh?
Professor. You see, I-- I think I really love Natsuhiko.

The professor's eyes widened at that answer.

W-well... You mean... as a man?
Hmm, I wonder? Well, for now, as a 'good friend', I guess.
Yes... I see.

The professor muttered that and smiled somewhat sadly.

Mashiro thought she'd continue to keep those feelings to herself. Until the day came when the time was right...

Tips posted:

TIP: Mashiro Toba

Natsuhiko's friend, a first year high school student enrolled in Rokumei Academy. A Rank B Aptitude, Ability Level 5 Communicator.

Though she is liked by both boys and girls in the school, her unabashed closeness to Natsuhiko causes their classmates to treat them as an official couple. Due to her innocent romantic interest in Natsuhiko, she wanted to know what was on his mind as he began to see Yuuri's phantom. And thus, over the course of five years, Mashiro obtained ability beyond what her aptitude would predict. She became an exceptional Rank B Aptitude Communicator with ability equivalent to Ability Level 5.

Whenever she was within the Tenkawa residence, she would read Natsuhiko's mind with empathy, treating Yuuri as if she were really there just as he perceived her to be. Mashiro felt both joy and guilt at being able to experience a part of Natsuhiko's world, and devoted herself to be there for him in case he ever had a panic attack. Natsuhiko on the other hand, probably never even imagined this side of her, as he simply saw her as a larger than life girl who was bright, somewhat meddling, and a little rough around the edges.

In her private life, Mashiro has an unmatched love for anime and games, especially ''Psychic Girl Beyond*BEYOND'', a title she never stops talking about which involves a girl with psychic abilities not unlike BC, who secretly stands up against great difficulties and is ultimately rewarded-- a happy story that she likes for various reasons.

And that's it for Mashiro. Next up will be Ena's scenes.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
By the way, because I am terrible at recognizing romance, what does the game imply: Nat x Mashiro, Nat x Salyu or Nat x Yuuri?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Junpei posted:

By the way, because I am terrible at recognizing romance, what does the game imply: Nat x Mashiro, Nat x Salyu or Nat x Yuuri?

It implies inconclusive Mashiro or Yuuri. If one had to be picked, odds are good it'd be Mashiro thanks to her fully unlocked scene, but...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Junpei posted:

It's basically Mashiro... then Yuuri............ then Salyu in order of likeliness.

However, the real ending is a harem end brought upon by Natsuhiko never making a loving decision on who to pick. He then dies at the tender age of 21 by falling off a cliff. He could have been saved - all three were there reaching their hands down for him to grab - but he couldn't decide and just fell down instead. And you thought "indecisiveness will be the end of you" was just meant metaphorically.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Unlocking Scenes - Ena

Now, it's time to go through the scenes we've already seen for Ena. The ones that don't have anything new are ''Song For My Father'', ''In the Dark'' and ''Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye''.

Ena and her mother moved away from Rokumei City to a neighboring town. Her mother refused to stay in a town that served as a constant reminder of sad memories. But even in the new town, Ena grew to follow in her deceased father's footsteps.

--The French sports car he used to take her on drives with on his days off. --His jazz record collection. --His library of books which consisted mostly of educational and ideological writings. A fountain pen. A coffee siphon. All of those things were unfamiliar to Ena as a little girl... but they were important clues to understanding the mind of her deceased father.

Ena: (Do I have a father complex?)

That thought suddenly hit her as she listened to old jazz music. Not only did her father's presence never fade, it actually kept growing over time. But if she were to ever fall in love, it would undoubtedly be with a man like her father. Someone gentle, someone warm. Someone who would protect others even at the risk of their own life-- Such men were hard to come by.

Ena: (... So for now, I'm perfectly fine immersing myself in the memory of my father. Until I become an adult...)

Ena grew up little by little with that thought in mind. And during that time, there was something that she had always wished for: To take up a job protecting Communicators, just as her father had done. For her father was a government official at the ''ESP Bureau'' of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT).

And from that point, the chapter continues as normal.

Beside her was Natsuhiko.

Oh, you two going home as well?
Yes.
Then how about we go together for just a bit?

Just the other day, Ena had met Natsuhiko's mother, Dr. Miyoko Tenkawa. They discussed how Ena should handle the boy.

(... The professor said so herself, so I guess I should observe Mr. Tenkawa carefully, then.)

She had thought that right now was a perfect opportunity.

And then it goes as normal for a bit, until the next input.

Natsuhiko turned toward the two after hearing his name in their conversation.

Hmm? Did you call for me, Professor?
No, she didn't, she didn't! Go away, Natsuhiko!
Wh-why do you have to be like that...

It was cute how Natsuhiko got flustered like that, so Ena decided to try teasing him a little.

No, you see, we were just talking about how wonderful you are.
Wha...
W-we were talking about what now!?
Huh, wasn't that what we were talking about? The relationships between the boys and girls in the class and such?
Were we!?
Let's just run with it. So, Mr. Tenkawa? You're pretty popular with the girls, aren't you?
No, I'm... I'm not popular at all...
You think so? I think a handsome bespectacled prodigy like you might have a lot more secret fans than you might think.
No, this guy's way too dull! He doesn't even have a single hobby!
Wait, Mashiro, don't you think you're taking this a little too far?
Y-you're right. I said too much, didn't I? I'm sorry.
Hmm? You're acting a little offbeat... Something's weird about you today.

Ena smiled at that little exchange.

(They look like they're having fun... I'm a little jealous.)

--When Ena was a student, she didn't have any romantic affairs whatsoever. Since she went to an all girls school, she didn't meet with any boys.

(... No, no, no. What's the point in regretting my youth? What's wrong with how I turned out? I was able to focus on my studies without getting distracted with love, and it got me my dream job.)

Ena quickly pulled herself together and spoke to Mashiro and Natsuhiko.

Now, now, you two. You should enjoy the precious springtime of your youth with a little romance.
I-I see...
If only I had someone to love, though.

Ena smiled wryly as Mashiro tried to smooth things over this late in the game.

(They're really such cute kids... Even though I have to keep my guard up around them, they really are still kids that I need to protect.)

And thus, Ena had regained her original pure state of mind.

And that's it for that chapter.

She considered revealing her true identity and using her gun as a threat to seek out the criminal-- but that was too risky. If any of the members of their group were either a terrorist or an Ability Level 6 Communicator, then that whole plan had a high chance of backfiring on her.

(... Now that I think about it, everyone here right now is suspicious... If that rescue worker was a terrorist, then Captain Kasasagi, Ms. Taohibana, and Ms. Moribe might be with the terrorists as well. And then there's Mr. Ukita, a possible sleeper agent, as well as Ms. Yuuri, an unidentified girl... There's nobody here I can rely on as an ally...!)

But if she were to pick someone she could depend on from among them--

(Ms. Tachibana...? ... No... Perhaps Captain Kasasagi...?)

Ena had watched Watase for the three hours since they had met. With the exception of his amnesia, there was nothing suspicious about his speech and conduct. In fact, he seemed like an ideal rescue worker, rushing to save other people regardless of the danger.

(What'll it be, Captain Kasasagi... Can I trust you?)

After they left the cargo lift room, Ena made up her mind and tried to scope him out. By acting like a normal woman.

Yeah... Can't blame you. We've lost our escape exit and we keep finding murder victims... It's gotta be tough on a woman.
It is...
...Hey, Captain Kasasagi, if the culprit tried to attack us... Would you protect me?
Yeah. I promise.

Those reassuring words soaked into Ena's heart.

A new memory rises up from the innermost depths of Ena's mind.

And that's it for the scenes we already mostly know. Next, it's the new ones.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Memories of You: 09/16/2030, 13:20

Ena began to harbor the doubt that the rescue squad could be terrorists. That doubt inevitably led her to doubt those around her as well. What about Kazami? What about Jun? And what about--

(--Captain Kasasagi... Is he a terrorist...?)

That question eventually became the most pressing issue within Ena.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

...Ena, I will warn you about one thing out of consideration for Natsuhiko. Be careful of that 'captain'. He's a dangerous man.
Huh?

Right after that, Watase appeared, shouting.

H-hey! What's that supposed to mean!?
!
Ah, Ms. Sannomiya, wait!

...Salyu ran away without listening to Ena when she tried to stop her. After they had lost her, Ena and Watase looked at each other and spoke.

But... what did that girl mean when she said I was 'dangerous'?
She did say that, didn't she... Do you have any idea about what she was talking about?
...Sorry, but no.
I see...

She looked at Watase's face and thought to herself.

(... Judging by Ms. Sannomiya's tone of voice and what the kids told me yesterday, that would make Captain Kasasagi the terrorist. But there's something about that conclusion that I don't agree with.)

At first, Ena had found him suspicious as well. If his ''amnesia'' were a lie, then he'd clearly be up to no good-- But if his amnesia were real, then there was a high possibility that somebody had erased his memory. She could think of two reasons somebody would erase it: The first possibility was that Watase really was a terrorist, and someone with good intentions erased his memory to nullify him as a threat. The other possibility was that a test subject happened to come across Watase and erased his memory to escape the facility.

(Hopefully it's the latter...)

That was what Ena hoped. For regardless of what the true Watase's nature was-- the current Watase at least was an extraordinarily desirable man. He had the courage to leap into blazing fire, poisonous gas, and high contamination to save complete strangers. He had the kindness to risk his own life to protect those in danger... Ena didn't want to believe that the Watase she knew was only a temporary personality born from his memory loss.

Ena gave Watase a warning.

Listen, Captain Kasasagi. Doubt everything around you. That includes the people nearby, this facility, and occasionally everything you see. Your own preconceptions may be tricking you, after all. We might overlook something vital if we lower our guards. Something that may cost us our lives.

She thought that unless she told him that, he might fall into someone's trap. Watase had a tendency to believe others too easily. That would normally be a virtue, but it was an invitation for danger in these circumstances. However-- Watase looked Ena back in the eye and responded.

...True, the things I believe in could be tricking me. But I still trust you in spite of that.
Huh...?

♪ BGM: Achiever / Theme of Ena

'Faith' without risk is a downright lie, isn't it? If you say you 'trust' or 'don't trust' something but you keep yourself in a safe position, your words hold no power whatsoever. So if you're ever doubted from this point onward, I will trust and cover for you unconditionally. ...I'm sure that's what your father would have done too.
...!

Those words impressed Ena. Those were the thoughts of a softhearted person who paid no heed to human malice whatsoever. However-- she suddenly recalled her father's words. ''The most important thing humans have is the ability to trust.'' Perhaps Watase would stick to that conviction just like her father had. Ena had somewhat started to realize that possibility.

(... If Captain Kasasagi isn't a terrorist, but a righteous rescue worker, then...)

Watase seemed like he could be the most reliable partner for Ena at that point.

(... Then I'll open up my heart. My true heart that I've never opened up to anybody...)

Ena looked at Watase's face and secretly swore that to herself.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Oh, Lady be Good!: 04/15/2030, 17:15

She secretly met with Dr. Miyoko Tenkawa.

Likewise. I'm Ena Tsubakiyama, ESP Bureau Communicator commissioner.

The two women exchanged greetings on their first meeting. Ena had called the professor over to the school to discuss how to handle Natsuhiko. The BC room had no surveillance cameras. And since it was padded with BC insulators, nobody could read their minds with empathy without being seen. The walls were thick enough to drown out their voices as well, making it the perfect place to hold private conversations.

I know you must be busy, so let's get to the main problem at hand. I have been tasked with managing the Communicators within Rokumei Academy this year. Naturally, my responsibilities include observing your son.
Yes, please take care of him.
Now, in regards to the system of observing your son, we'll be checking him against the ESP Bureau standards-- Once he demonstrates empathy, he will be considered for confinement in LABO. Is that all right?

That was a special measure that applied only to Rank S Aptitude Communicators. Dr. Tenkawa nodded indifferently as if she had already understood the situation.

I have no objections. By the time he would demonstrate Senses Sympathy, it would already be too late to act.
Then in accordance with educational guidelines, I will guide him towards the demonstration of empathy. In the case he demonstrates empathy before graduation, he will be considered for confinement. In the case he does not demonstrate empathy before graduation, he will continue to be monitored by the ESP Bureau.
Yes, please follow through with that plan.

--Dr. Tenkawa kept answering Ena indifferently. Even though they were having an important discussion that would leave a great influence on her son's life.

(... Is this what it takes to be the parent of a Rank S Aptitude Communicator?)

Dr. Tenkawa was a high ranking LABO researcher. She was clearly well aware of the potential dangers of Rank S Aptitude Communicators. She knew the reality that her son may one day suddenly become a monster. Ena could not even begin to imagine what sort of feelings a mother would have for that kind of son.

(Maybe I should try and get her to talk about that point a bit.)

Ena tried to gently bring up that topic of discussion.

...It must be tough for your own son to be an observation target.
No, I'm already used to it.
But if your son demonstrates empathy-- he'll be confined in your own workplace, won't he? So, well... are you fine with that?
It doesn't matter whether I'm fine with it or not. The matter has already been decided.

She answered, once again, without changing her expression at all. Ena started to feel a freezing cold air drifting about the woman in front of her.

(As part of the ESP Bureau, it helps me greatly that she's so understanding... but something here just doesn't feel right to me. Normally, no mother would easily consent to their own child's confinement, would they?)

Once that thought hit Ena, Dr. Tenkawa sighed.

...You think I'm a cold mother, don't you?
!! No, that's not what I--
There's no need to hide it. The previous manager had the same reaction.
Well, it's understandable. Normally, mothers don't talk about the surveillance and confinement of their own children. That much is certain. But-- if you're from the ESP Bureau, you should be well aware of the details of the tragedy 16 years ago.
R-right...
I do not wish for my son to turn out like Alice. Even the distress of confinement is a preferable alternative to N-ification. Is that not the obvious mentality for a mother to hold for her child?

Those words reminded Ena of something.

(Now that she mentions it, my father wrote about it in his journal too...)

Dr. Tenkawa was once a researcher at the PRC. She had closely witnessed the entire process of how Alice was loved by those around her, but eventually succumbed to N-ification and caused the Great Rokumei City Arson. So perhaps in spite of her personal feelings for her own flesh and blood, Dr. Tenkawa came to the mentality that Rank S Aptitude Communicators should be strictly monitored. But even if Ena understood where she was coming from, that didn't mean she agreed with her. So she spoke up without thinking.

--Professor, let me ask you one more thing. Do you wish for your son's happiness from the bottom of your heart?
Yes. That alone is for certain.

She answered the question immediately. She then cast her eyes down and continued.

...From my standpoint, I am unable to love my son in the same way that normal mothers can. I cannot convey to Natsuhiko even a shred of my love for him. As a result, we've grown apart and gradually stopped talking over the years... Honestly, it's tough, but I've resigned myself to this fate. I've hidden my professional duties, lied to the world, deceived even my own son, and continued to conduct BC research. If Natsuhiko were to find out, he'd be unable to forgive my many lies. But throughout my entire life hidden behind a facade, if only one thing were to be true-- It would be the desire for my son's happiness.
!! How can you push yourself that far...?
I have no reason in particular. Only that I am that boy's mother. Before Natsuhiko was born, I believed that everything in this world could be explained by logic. I was a foolish little girl who saw even human emotion as nothing more than a target of analysis. But when I heard that child's first cry-- that shrewd way of thinking disappeared in an instant. Unconditional love is something that worldly logic can never explain, is it not? That boy's presence alone filled my heart with joy. Ever since then, even my most trivial recollection of daily life has become an irreplaceable memory. The first time he called me 'Mom'. The first time we walked hand in hand to play in the park. The day I bought him his first bicycle. The first time he called my horrible cooking delicious... I can vividly remember it all as if it happened yesterday. ...And years later, when my husband passed away from illness... that boy offered me words of consolation. Even though he himself had to have been sad from the loss of his father. That's when I swore to myself that no matter what happened, I would protect Natsuhiko. I would protect that boy even if it meant deceiving the world and staining my hands in sin after sin.
...Commissioner Tsubakiyama. Do I have your understanding for the reason why I consent to his observation? N-ification is the same as mental death. I don't want to make a monster out of my son. Even if it means locking him in a prison out of sight... as long as Natsuhiko remains himself, it's fine by me.

After hearing the professor's long monologue, Ena quietly nodded.

...I'm sorry for asking you such a rude question, Professor.
It's okay. In fact, asking those sorts of questions makes you more trustworthy as a human being.

And with that, Dr. Tenkawa smiled faintly.

Ena began to harbor the suspicion that LABO was secretly conducting human experimentation. She then thought of asking Dr. Tenkawa about it up front... But oddly enough, it was then that she had remembered Dr. Tenkawa's words. ''I would protect that boy even if it meant deceiving the world and staining my hands in sin after sin.'' --If that meant she was willing to sacrifice everything for the sake of her son, then-- Ena couldn't bring herself to ask Dr. Tenkawa about it. Not after Ena knew about her boundless love...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Return to Forever: 09/16/2030, 10:41

He fainted there and was taken back by Jun. Jun entrusted him to Ena and urgently went to go call Kazami.

(... They're enough to knock out a grown man... I guess WX particles are more dangerous than I had thought.)

As Ena thought to herself, Jun and Kazami eventually returned.

Okay, Ms. Tsubakiyama, please take care of the captain for us, all right?
I'm so sorry... Rescue workers shouldn't be causing trouble for a bystander like this.
It's unavoidable in this situation. More importantly, I'm counting on you to extinguish the fires.
Yes. Moribe, let's go.
Roger!

The two rescue workers rushed down the stairs to the raging flames on the floor below. Ena saw them off and left the stairwell, dragging Watase by his shoulder.

♪ BGM: Achiever / Theme of Ena

Ena panted heavily as she carried Watase. Naturally, even Ena had to train her body when she joined the ESP Bureau. But that still didn't change how heavy a large man like Watase was.

(He's quite the troublesome one, huh... I took so much time to feign being a normal woman, and now I'm working against all that.)

Though she was cursing his name in her heart, it wasn't as if she completely ignored Watase's efforts. When Salyu had run away into a contaminated zone and shook off Jun and Watase, not even Ena herself could follow after the girl. And the reason Ena couldn't was simply because she was afraid of entering the contaminated zone. But Watase dashed into the contaminated zone without hesitation-- even though he was under the impression that it was contaminated with radiation. Even though he had lost all his memories as a rescue worker. Ena would have to say it was an extremely reckless act.

(But I guess I don't really hate that kind of thing...)

Ena knew two others who were like Watase: Her father, and a dog.

(... Now that I think about it, their rescue squad's named ''Sirius'', isn't it...'? That name kind of brings me back...)

That was the name of a dog Ena had kept in the past. --It had already been nine years ago since that day. After her father's death, Ena had moved out of Rokumei City to a neighboring town, where she one day found a dog. There was a wooden tag around the dog's neck with the following message: ''I am a smart dog. My name is Sirius. Please adopt me.'' --The handwriting was definitely a child's, and there was a telephone number written below. That child was probably the previous owner. When Ena's mother called that number, the boy on the other end seemed really happy. And Sirius was a ''smart dog'' indeed. Whenever Ena felt down, he would rub his nose against her to console her. He loved small children, so whenever she took him out for a walk in the park, the Children would always play with him. He even dived into a river to try and save a drowning child.

(... But in the end, Sirius couldn't fix the situation... I ended up having to save both the kid and Sirius.)

But nevertheless, Ena loved the gentle Sirius for giving it his best. However, he died right before Ena joined the ESP Bureau...

(Now that I think about it, carrying Captain Kasasagi like this now is kind of like the situation back then, isn't it...)

It was a little amusing when she thought about it like that. For the first time after seeing Kuroda and Higa's dead bodies, Ena finally found a moment of peace. But in spite of that--

...Sheesh, Captain Kasasagi, you sure do weigh a ton...! (Sirius the dog wasn't this heavy. Geez... Get it together, Sirius the human.)

--As soon as that thought crossed Ena's mind, Watase woke up.

Tips posted:

TIP: Ena Tsubakiyama

A Communicator commissioner with the ESP Bureau.

She went to LABO to conduct a compulsory inspection with her superiors Kuroda and Higa, but got caught in Watase's terrorist attack and ended up accompanying him. Though she may be the daughter of Jin Tsubakiyama, the man known for being the driving force in LABO's establishment, she is an expert in parapsychology in her own right, and was warmly welcomed into the bureau out of her own merits. As part of her duties, she had to act out the part of a charming, easygoing young new teacher, but in reality, she is a strong-willed woman who pushes forward wholeheartedly once she's set her sights on something. The force that tempered that will of hers was nothing else but the death of her beloved father, Jin Tsubakiyama. While Ena's mother did show signs of sadness, she also took a resolute attitude after her husband's death, which indirectly helped the young Ena reaffirm her father's greatness.

Now that the darkness surrounding Rokumei City and LABO has come to light, she now works with Miyoko Tenkawa and the others to drain the pus of the government designated top secret cities. She also is in charge of training the new commissioner, Watase. She feels a strange sense of fate to be working with someone who shared the name and the sense of justice that her dog Sirius once had.

And that wraps up Ena's scenes. Next, we'll be moving on to Salyu.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

From Natsuhiko and Mashiro to Ena. Best dog Sirius supporting everyone.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Finally, the most important mystery has been solved. :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That is one hell of a coincidence.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, that's the last recording session done with. So close...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Cyouni posted:

From Natsuhiko and Mashiro to Ena. Best dog Sirius supporting everyone.

And then Best Buddy Jun inherited Best Dog Sirius's spirit in becoming Best Buddy.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Unlocking Scenes - Salyu

So, with Salyu, we have two chapters with Senses inputs that unlock new scenes, but one is just *full* of them. The chapters we've already seen are ''The Girl Who Was Plugged In'', ''Childhood's End'', ''The Door into Summer'', ''Watchers'' and ''The Only Neat Thing to Do''.

That novel's content was philosophical, so it was far detached from the type of adventure stories that Salyu liked. She felt a little bad since Dr. Tenkawa had recommended that novel, but Salyu was more fond of thrilling stories.

(Like the novel the professor first gave me... I lost track of how many times I've read that one. Guess I'll ask the professor for more novels by that author.)

As Salyu thought that, the door finally opened again after weeks of being shut, and in walked the professor.

And from then on, the chapter goes as normal.

Natsuhiko himself was nearby. In that case, Salyu thought it'd be best for her to make friends with them. Once Salyu agreed to be their friend, Mashiro jumped for joy.

Now, then, what should we call you? Oh, I know! 'Salyu'. How's that!?

Salyu nodded honestly to that suggestion.

It's certainly a cute name... And it has a deep meaning.
Huh?
'Salut' is French for 'hi'. A salutation. The beginning of communication. It's like an encouraging boost to my perseverance.
Your perseverance? In regards to communication?
Yes. I want to be friends with you guys. But to be honest, I'm not good at that sort of thing.
What are you talking about? We're getting through to each other right now, aren't we!?
...Are we?
We are. Aren't we, Natsuhiko?
Hmm... Yeah, I guess so.

Salyu secretly rejoiced at their words.

(Perfect first contact... I'm already friends with these two.)

That good feeling heralded the start of Salyu's new life. --But the day's lessons ended before she really had any good opportunities to have a nice and slow conversation with them.

From then on, it's the same to the next input.

The happiness she had finally gained had suddenly withered.

I was sent here to protect you, after all.
Huh...? You... protect me?

--as she looked at the confused Natsuhiko, Salyu thought to herself.

(Did I not explain sufficiently? Maybe I need to give more details.) ...Basically, it's my duty to protect you. I'm not doing it unwillingly. I want to.
Huh...? Wh-why?
...Don't know. Just am.
Y-you just are?
But I really do want to protect you.
I-I see. Hahah... Thanks.

Natsuhiko laughed dryly. It confused Salyu.

(... It's not like I said anything funny.)
Well, anyway... I'm not so weak that I need a girl to protect me. How about we head back?
...Mm.

Despite Salyu's sincere efforts to talk to him, Natsuhiko's reaction was unclear. Salyu had a hard time understanding anything that was on his mind. --And thus, the first day of Salyu's new life came to an anxious end.

Now, on to the next input.

Say, Salyu...
What?
Umm, well... I'm sorry. I'm sorry for always acting so hostile towards you.
...Mm.

When Salyu nodded awkwardly, Mashiro spoke up beside her.

Hmm, that's great. We've cleared up all those misunderstandings. So now we can begin our friendship anew, right?
Hey... don't say stuff like that. You ruined the mood.

Despite what Natsuhiko said, Salyu was deeply moved by one of the words Mashiro had said.

Friendship... such a lovely word.
Huh?
Natsuhiko. Mashiro. Let me ask. Are we friends?
Huh? I-I guess...
Of course we are, Salyu! Didn't we say that when we first met too?

Salyu felt her heart pound. She was happy to hear Mashiro's straightforward reply.

(I've learned something... The key to good communication might be honesty. You should open up your heart and come in contact with others, even if they seem scary.)

And once more, on to the next input.

...Magnificent.

The food was very delicious, but above all else, it was Mashiro's consideration that delighted Salyu.

...Um, Mashiro. Thank you for making all this magnificent food.
Nah, nah, it's no trouble at all. I like doing this. Besides, delicious food really does bring people closer together.
Agreed.

Salyu and Mashiro smiled at each other.

(Odd... I feel relaxed when I'm with Mashiro.)

She had never felt that way with anyone else besides Dr. Tenkawa. When she tried to think of why she felt that way with Mashiro too, Salyu quickly found the reason.

(I know... It's because Mashiro's gentle and she's not two-faced.) Mashiro.
Hmm?
I love you, Mashiro.
Huh!? I-is that a confession?
I tried expressing my feelings honestly. Did I do bad?
No, no, not at all! I love you too, Salyu.

When Mashiro said that, Alice cried ''kyukkyuu''. A cry denoting an amicable emotion-- Salyu thought to herself as she heard that.

(Alice's judgment largely matches Mashiro's words. Everything she says seems to be genuine.)

Salyu placed her utmost trust in Alice. And going by Alice's judgment, Salyu thought she could place unconditional trust in Mashiro as well. Afterwards, they all talked about novels and had a fun time.

And one more time.

(I see. If everyone's the same way... then I'm just wasting my time worrying about it alone. Perhaps Natsuhiko has the same sort of worries I do inside. He overcame those worries to say all that... Is this what it means to sympathize with someone??) ...Natsuhiko.
Hmm?
Were you sympathizing with me?
Yeah, in my own way.

Natsuhiko responded clearly. Alice's reaction showed that his words were the truth as well.

(So Natsuhiko and I really are the same...!)

--For the first time, Salyu felt like she understood Natsuhiko's mind.

(Then I need to respond... by trying to sympathize with Natsuhiko too.)

Salyu reconciled with Natsuhiko and the two of them decided to search for Mashiro together.

And then, this chapter actually has an extra bit that comes after the version we've already seen ended.

The three of them strove along the long distance.

Those three lights seemed to symbolize the three of them--

(No... perhaps I haven't yet joined those stars.)

There was one other friend living in the minds of Natsuhiko and Mashiro. The girl who died nine years ago, Yuuri Kotono. For some reason, whenever she thought of that girl, even Salyu felt nostalgic and heartbroken.

(... It's too late now, but I wish I knew more about her. Because the more I learn about Natsuhiko and Mashiro, the more my affection for them grows. I guess I'll ask them after this incident's over.)

She would ask them about their memories of the friend she'd never meet--

A new memory rises up from the innermost depths of her mind...

And so that's all the scenes for Salyu unlocked. There's a fairly large amount here, so that'll be fun to dig into.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Orphans of the Sky: 09/16/2030, 15:11

Salyu held Kazami's neck tight in her grip to force Watase to release Natsuhiko.

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

He used it to shoot Natsuh--

But at that moment,

--I SAID STOP!

Kazami screamed and violently shook Salyu off her.

!

Salyu's body was sent flying backwards. She then landed on the staircase--

The impact jolted her chest and her consciousness quickly faded. The impact jolted her chest and her consciousness quickly faded. ...In the short time she was asleep, she had a dream.

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

Someone was speaking in the corner of a cold laboratory.

?: So that's Communicator A's daughter, huh...
??: She has absolutely no aptitude. We cannot confirm any influence of NBC.
Salyu: Auuu~...

For some reason, Salyu couldn't move her body. She seemed to be lying down on some sort of bed, but she couldn't get up. She couldn't even talk. All she could do was listen to someone's conversation.

??: It's quite plausible that she could have been infected with malice in utero...
?: We should err on the side of caution and dispose of her, shouldn't we?
Wh... what are you saying!? You people have gone mad, you know!? You had a higher sense of ethics back when we were in the PRC--
?: You don't understand, Dr. Tenkawa. You weren't at the PRC on the night of the Great Arson. You didn't face the N-ified Communicator A. That's why you don't understand her ferocity. She probably had a third ability, beyond both telepathy and empathy. It felt like she was inside our heads, rewriting our minds directly... Do you even know how terrifying that is?
?: Up until that point, I had thought of Communicators as people in need of protection. But that line of thought took a complete 180 that night. They're not people in need of protection at all... They're not even people. They're unmistakable monsters with inhuman power. I can't even hold back my fear of that girl.
...Mr. Eriguchi, you...
Eriguchi: I what?
...It's nothing. But in any case... I cannot consent to you 'disposing' of that child.
Eriguchi: Then what do you suggest we do? Naturally, we absolutely cannot consent to letting this girl loose in the outside world.
...I'll take responsibility for her... And raise her here.

--That was when Salyu awoke.

It was truly a dreamlike, unbelievable scene. Because her dream took place in LABO's neuroscience laboratory.

(I went there for the first time today... and it's already in my dreams?)

But nevertheless, it was a somewhat frightening dream. Salyu took a deep breath and stood up. She then began to drag her staggering body once more. In search of Natsuhiko.

(That terrorist probably has him...)

No matter how much she searched and searched for Mashiro, she couldn't find her. Which suggested that she had safely escaped before lockdown-- At least, that was what Salyu wanted to believe.

(... Anyway, I need to look for Natsuhiko. Because it's my duty to protect him...)

She had decided to do anything to fulfill that duty.

--Which was why, when she had discovered 20 ampules of AD in the neuroscience laboratory-- She took the AD and hid it in the supply closet for the girl's restroom. She thought she'd quickly distribute the AD to Natsuhiko and Mashiro once she found them. There was a letter written by Ena by the AD, but Salyu tore it up since she couldn't trust her.

(... Maybe I'm doing something cruel. But those guys in the orange suits are probably all terrorists. If Ukita's the sleeper agent, then there's a high probability that Ena's with the terrorists too.)

Salyu had no chance of winning against such superior numbers. So she had no choice but to gamble on the effects of radiation weakening the enemy.

(I can finally launch a counterattack with this...)

But even with that weapon, she was no match for Watase. She decided that the next time they crossed paths, she would do whatever it took to defeat him and save Natsuhiko.

But it was for certain that Natsuhiko was heavily injured.

(... That's why I can never forgive that man. Because there's no way I can break my promise to protect Natsuhiko.)

That promise was the only thing supporting the lonely Salyu, pushing her forward...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Love Is the Plan the Plan Is Death: 09/16/2030, 17:04

Salyu chased after Watase into a connecting passageway.

What're you doing!?

Watase shouted to Salyu on the other side of the closing gate.

I know you can't trust me, but this isn't the time to be fighting! Go to Natsuhiko and the others! They're looking for you!
!?

In the split second she stopped in surprise, the gate shut, separating Salyu from Watase. She stood still in front of the closed gate.

(They're searching for me...? So they're safe? But why would that man tell me that? What's his goal?)

She could find no answers. She tried to keep pursuing Watase for the time being, but-- Her feet began to stagger. At the end of this nearly 10-hour battle, her fatigue finally caught up to her.

(... But there's no way I can stop here... If that man's words were a trap, and Natsuhiko's in danger... then I need to go save him.)

With that thought in mind, Salyu retraced her steps.

At first, he was terribly unkind and they failed at introducing themselves to each other.

And when Natsuhiko looked at Salyu, Alice made a sound she had never heard from her before.

Alice: Kyukyuuu~...!
Huh...?

Salyu looked at Alice in disbelief.

...Natsuhiko, what were you thinking just now?
Huh... n-nothing really...
...Honest?
...Honest.

--Salyu didn't press him any further. According to Alice, the emotion Natsuhiko displayed at that time-- Was ''romantic feelings, otherwise, a proportionate fondness''.

(Natsuhiko has romantic feelings...? ...for... me...? Preposterous. There's no reason he would... But what if he really does...?)

--The more she thought about it, the more frightened she became. Though it was a happy moment, it was also a moment that pained her heart-- So Salyu decided not to think about it any more.

Was she really fighting for Natsuhiko's sake just because he was an important friend to her? Was she really only fighting to fulfill her duty?

(... No.)

That wasn't how she felt. --It was a very tough realization for Salyu to make. She couldn't understand other people's feelings. So if she were to start harboring such emotions, it was all too easy to imagine a sad ending awaiting her.

(But regardless... that doesn't mean I'll change my actions in the slightest.)

After all, Natsuhiko had once told Salyu this:

Then I'm sure things will turn out for the best. Both for you and for those you interact with...

That was why Salyu didn't mind struggling for his sake.

(... There's only one thing I'm sure of. And it's that Natsuhiko definitely doesn't want to die. So I'm fighting for his sake because...)

--It was the only thing Salyu could think of that was certainly ''right'' throughout her life of fumbling her way forward in the darkness.

(My feelings don't matter right now. I just have to work hard for Natsuhiko and Mashiro.)

So that they could all survive together--

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Oh yeah, I forgot this was the other suggestion that Eriguchi and Kashiwagi were also malice-ified.

Also Salyu's confession to Mashiro and "a proportional fondness".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The Lights in the Sky Are Stars: 07/20/2026, 21:36

There had been no change in her lifestyle. Aside from the knowledge she had acquired from the memory transfer experiments, her life stayed the same day after day... Salyu's favorite part of those days was the time she spent passing through the underground garden.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 1

Each test subject was given time to walk around freely inside Area Zero. Salyu wasn't allowed to meet with the other test subjects, but one of her few joys was Dr. Tenkawa leading her out to the underground park. Naturally, the sky they were looking at wasn't the real sky. It was a sort of planetarium projected on the ceiling and walls. Though the image changed in accordance with the time and season, it was still nothing more than a fake sky. But still, Salyu never tired of looking at it.

Yui, are you having fun?
Yes. The sky changes with time, and the constellations change with the seasons. Quite interesting.
I see. That's good then.
By the way, Professor. I want to hear more about the stars.
Huh? Today too?
Stories about the stars and myths about the constellations pique my curiosity.
I see. In that case...

The professor pointed to the sky.

That's the Summer Triangle. An asterism drawn out by three alpha stars. Their names are Vega of Lyra, Altair of Aquila, and Deneb of Cygnus. In Japan, Vega and Altair are recognized as special stars.
Special stars?
There's something called the legend of Tanabata.
Legend...

That word fascinated Salyu's mind. A story created by man-- the culmination of human imagination. That was what Salyu truly desired.

Vega and Altair are personified and given the names Orihime and Hikoboshi respectively. Orihime and Hikoboshi are separated by the Heavenly River, the Milky Way, and can only meet once a year. The tragic legend goes that the two lovers were torn apart against their will.
I see. Informative. But why?
... Huh?
Why can the two of them only meet once a year?
... U-umm, why was it again...? I'm sorry, I'm not very informed outside of my field of research.
...Too bad.

Salyu slumped her shoulders and looked back up at the sky. --Before her eyes flickered an infinite number of stars. According to the professor, the world they were on was another spherical heavenly body like those stars.

(It's something that I know, but I can't believe it...)

Were there other worlds in the vastness of space beyond that dome? Were there other beings like humans living there? In the same way that we live on Earth?

(Is that possible--?) ...Professor. Have any humans flown into space and reached other heavenly bodies?
It happens a lot in fiction... but in reality, only a select few. In 1969, Apollo 11 reached the moon. We haven't reached any other planets or stars.
Then I don't care if it's fact or fiction. I want books relating to that topic.
You really like books about the stars, don't you, Yui? Okay. I'll gather as many books as I can.
Thank you.
Now then, it's about time we wrapped things up. It's almost time for lights out.
Mm.

Salyu was taken back to her room hand in hand with Dr. Tenkawa. The light of the stars twinkled in her heart until she fell asleep. --The next day, a pile of books was brought to Salyu's room. The pile pretty much consisted only of scientific textbooks relating to planets and stars. Salyu finished reading the dozens of books in just three days. But she found the materials relating to the Apollo missions to be surprisingly boring.

(The surface of the moon is bleak. Even more lonely than this room...)

A world without warmth. Just cold rocks and sand.

What impressed Salyu more-- was fiction.

After those three days-- Dr. Tenkawa came to Salyu's room for the first time in a while and spoke up in surprise. She took notice of the book Salyu had been reading.

Yui, do you like that book?
Mm. This book is truly interesting. I've already read it three times.

Salyu held up a juvenile sci-fi book. A story of a tomboy who dreamed of adventure and flew off into space. There, she met the only friend to whom she could open her heart. The story of a nearly miraculous bond born in a far corner of this wide universe--

My heart tightened when I read it. I've never felt something like that before.
That's unexpected. I thought you would get tired of just reading scientific books, so I only put that one in on a whim.
Professor. I want to have more books like this one. I don't need any more on things like the Apollo Project.
Got it. You like sci-fi novels, then.
Sci-fi?
Science fiction. But you know those stories aren't real, right?
I don't care if they're fiction.

Salyu said just that and returned her gaze to the book in her hands. In that book was everything that Salyu had dreamed of.

(--Even if I'm stuck in here, I can go anywhere on an adventure if I take a look inside a book. I can fly to the shining stars in the night sky.)

Tomorrow, the professor should be back with a bunch of books. That thought excited her. What sort of adventures awaited her tomorrow--?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The Terminal Experiment: 09/14/2030, 15:48

Mashiro seemed helpless since nobody she talked to would believe her about the terrorist. And when she asked if Natsuhiko and Salyu believed her, Salyu answered thusly:

You can tell?
Actually, I've had Alice focus on your face for a while. She reacted to your anxiety and supplication, but she made no other reactions. So that's enough for me to believe you.
I see... So that thing's sort of like your own version of empathy, isn't it?

--It wasn't that great. Salyu answered to that effect. But even if it wasn't at the level where Alice could read minds-- It didn't change the fact that Alice was the sole mediator Salyu had between herself and other people.

A monitor so horribly blurry that she could not make out other people's facial expressions. A monitor whose speakers were broken in a way that caused all sounds to seem flat. Salyu was left alone in that world obscured by darkness-- and Alice was her precious light illuminating her route. For example, an analysis of Mashiro revealed she often harbored the feelings of ''fun'', ''joy'', ''confusion'', ''upliftment'', and ''fear''. An analysis of Natsuhiko revealed he harbored the feelings of ''peace'', ''apathy'', ''vigilance'', ''discomfort'', and ''affection''. She had no way of verifying the validity of those analyses, but it was probably meaningful for her to believe in them. For as long as she believed, she could feel relief even in the darkness.

(But... something bothers me a little. Unlike Natsuhiko, Mashiro appears to be simple and pure, but-- According to Alice's analysis, Mashiro should be harboring some fairly complex emotions as well. Is that true...?)

♪ BGM: Helper / Theme of Mashiro

Mashiro. How are you feeling right now?
Huh? Hmm... I guess I feel reassured since you two believe me? It's like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
Alice: Kyuu~

Alice reacted to Mashiro's words. That was a cry that signified ''relief''.

...I feel relieved too.
Huh? About what?
About how honest you really are.
???

Salyu thought to herself as she watched Mashiro look at her in confusion. If Alice was the light illuminating her route, then Mashiro was her guide. Perhaps thanks to Alice and Mashiro, Salyu was able to proceed in this world little by little...

...Mashiro. There's one more thing I want to ask you. If at all possible, I want you to be my friend forever.
Huh? Well, of course.

Salyu smiled back at Mashiro in response to those words.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

To Live Again: 09/14/2030, 23:24

A memory of when Natsuhiko, Mashiro, and Salyu stayed overnight at a karaoke box...

--Right as she fell asleep, Salyu heard something and woke up. When she looked around, she couldn't find Natsuhiko.

...Natsuhiko?

No answer.

Where did he go...?

After she muttered that, she heard a voice right beside her.

...He probably went to make a phone call.
!

It was Mashiro. Salyu thought she was asleep, but it appeared that wasn't the case.

A phone call? To whom?
To Yuuri... Natsuhiko's rarely out of the house at night, see. So whenever he is out, he gets worried about Yuuri and calls her.
...Even though she's not there?
Even though she's not there. But he does hear her voice through the phone.
I see...

Salyu fell silent after saying that. She rarely got the opportunity to talk with Mashiro alone. So she decided to take advantage of the situation and ask her some questions.

...Um, Mashiro.
What?
What kind of girl was Yuuri?
Well...

Mashiro thought for a little before answering.

She was cute, and super, super gentle... She was the girl I admired.
What was she like to Natsuhiko?
She was a little different to Natsuhiko, I guess. She wasn't really the girl he admired, but more the girl he wanted to protect. ...But he couldn't protect her in the end. Since Natsuhiko couldn't accept that reality... time has stopped for him to back when Yuuri was still alive.

Mashiro's use of roundabout expressions was hard for Salyu to understand, but she caught the gist of what she meant.

Natsuhiko still loves Yuuri, doesn't he?
Yeah... you're right...
Mashiro, do you still love Yuuri?
Of course I love her... but not in the same way as Natsuhiko, though. ...Maybe it's too early for you to understand that sorta thing, huh?
Of course not. Probably.
Huh? Wait... Salyu, don't tell me you love Natsuhiko too...?
Mm. He's the one I love third most, after the professor and you.
...I see.
Alice: Kyuu.

Alice cried a voice that signified ''relief''.

Mashiro, you felt relieved just now. Why?
Huh? Ah, no, I... Man, there's no getting past Alice's eyes, is there?
?
Well... I know it's odd of me to say this... but despite appearances, I'm quite a jealous girl.
...?
I've already got an eternal rival. I almost thought I had yet another one to worry about... so I panicked a little.
...??? I'm sorry, I don't follow.
I guess it really is too early for you then, huh, Salyu?
...Looks like it.

That was the first time Salyu saw an inconsistency in Mashiro's behavior.

...Mashiro, sometimes even you seem to have your secrets.
Well, people are piles of secrets. ...But you know what, Salyu? That's what makes interacting with people fun.
The fun of figuring out secrets?
I guess there's also some fun in learning how some secrets must never be found out.

--After Mashiro said that, they heard footsteps from outside the room.

Mm... looks like Natsuhiko's back.
Ah, crap. Let's pretend we're asleep.
Why?
Because it's embarrassing. So just go to sleep.
Mm.

Salyu shut her eyes as told. Just this once, Mashiro's behavior was unintelligible from start to finish. Salyu thought to herself as she listened to Natsuhiko enter the room and sit on the sofa.

(... Secrets that must never be found out... Looks like even Mashiro has some of her own. But if everyone has these unsolvable secrets... that's actually a relief. Because it would mean I'm not alone. It would mean everyone else has similar worries...)

And with that thought, she fell asleep once more.

Tips posted:

TIP: Louise Yui Sannomiya

Nickname: Salyu.

The half-Japanese, half-French girl born to Alice Enflamme and Eishi Azumi. Her godparent is Miyoko Tenkawa.

For as long as she could remember, she had been treated as a sort of brain backup for Subject N, becoming inundated with extensive knowledge from specialists in all sorts of fields. Her brain was damaged as a result, and she lost the ability to deduce someone's intentions based on their facial expressions and gestures. Later, when Subject N's N-ification ended the experiments, she accepted a proposal from Miyoko to have part of her memory erased. With the caveat of being under observation, she was given some freedom and became Natsuhiko's classmate as ''a genius foreign girl who skipped up grades''.

The nickname Salyu was given to her by Mashiro after her full name ''SAnnomiya, Louise YUi''. Salyu happens to be pronounced identically to salut, a casual French salutation used among close people to greet each other and bid farwell. Since Salyu had trouble coming in contact with other people without ARMS, she liked that part about the nickname.

After returning alive from the series of incidents at LABO, she is now working with Natsuhiko and the others to evade Q. Perhaps due to the influence of the other children, Salyu has begun to act like a girl her age from time to time, which always startles Natsuhiko.

And that's it for Salyu. Next up, Watase.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

But enough talk... have at you!

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Now that I've caught up with the thread, I'd just like to thank you. Though I've had a fair share of moments where I've disagreed with the story, the end result of all this is some new experiences and a game sitting in my steam list that I'll probably never feel the need to play, a marked step up from 'If I'd seen this on sale I probably wouldn't have given a second glance'. The music certainly helped as well.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Promenade: 04/01/2027, 16:45

Now, Watase's scenes are a bit different. While it is true that there is a fair share of scenes we've already seen (''Reverie'', ''Goin' Home'', ''Das Lied der Trennung'', ''Eroica'', ''Dies Irae'', ''Falsche Welt, dir trau ich nicht'', ''Kinderszenen'', ''Baba Yaga'' and ''Die Zauberflöte''), the scenes that unlock new scenes are actually all new material we've not seen yet, and we need to unlock most of those scenes that unlock things to boot! Also, Watase's scenes (and Kazami's, which will be coming after Watase's) go into greater detail on one thing that did not get expanded upon a lot during the regular game - the relationship between Watase and Kazami, which does have a lot of history in it. With that said, let's get going into the only scene we have available.

Watase was finishing up his typical independent training when someone called out to him suddenly.

Hmm?
You are Fire Sergeant Watase Kasasagi, captain of Sirius' Team A, correct?

He turned around to find a woman dressed in casual clothes. He felt like he'd seen her somewhere before.

I am... and you are?
I am Kazami Tachibana, Firefighter. I'm scheduled to enlist in Sirius starting next week, sir.

So basically, here, we have the ''right'' choice and the ''wrong'' choice. If we make the wrong choice, the scene just pitter-patters out and we don't unlock anything. It doesn't seem like there's anything interesting, so I'll just skip those parts and just get the right answer right away.

So you're our department's lady rescue worker, huh? I've heard the rumors. The commander did say we had this incredible female firefighter in our midst.
Sir! I am honored to hear that, sir!

The woman known as Kazami gave him a courteous greeting. Her positive attitude gave Watase a good first impression.

(''Our squad's first female rescue worker'', huh...)

But there's no female rescue workers out there now, huh? If possible, I'd like to be one.

--This woman had reached the place Wataru had striven for. She probably had to put herself through hell to make it this far. Watase was honestly impressed.

Now now, no need to be so tense. We'll be squadmates starting next week, after all.
But you are my superior.
Well, that's true. Guess you've got a point. Anyway, I look forward to working with you. I'm expecting great things from you.
And I look forward to working under your command, sir.

Watase lightly patted the polite Kazami on the shoulder and headed back towards the station. But shortly after he entered the station--

(... Hmm? Wait, she said her name was ''Kazami Tachibana'', right... Wait, then she's--!?)

He finally realized why Kazami had seemed so familiar. It had been several years ago.

Watase and the rest of the squad were dispatched to the site, where they rescued two girls. But one of them, ''Nagisa Tachibana'', passed away after she'd been rescued.

Kazami, Nagisa's older sister and chief mourner, looked so utterly weak that it was almost awkward. But that very same woman was--

(The woman I just talked to...!?)

The difference between the impressions she left had been so great that at first, he hadn't made the connection. Watase went back to the front of the station to talk to her about it.

(... Guess she already went home?)

Watase stood still as he thought that. He had visited her several times-- first on the day of the funeral, then over the course of the next few weeks. He had been trying to give Kazami the item her little sister entrusted him to deliver back when he saved her. But back then, Kazami had been in a mentally unsound state unlike anything Watase had ever seen before, most likely due to the shock of losing her sister. She had been unable to maintain a proper conversation and would either reject Watase's visits or tell him off--

(But it's been years since then... Looks like she got back on her feet.)

Watase was happy about that. He didn't know if her underlying reason for becoming a rescue worker had to do with her sister's death. But now that she'd overcome her sorrow and had joined the same world as him, Watase wanted to watch over her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

La gazza ladra: Thieving Magpie: 07/07/2027, 19:05

Watase would avoid bringing up her past when they spoke. He figured it was something she didn't want to bring up either, given how painful her memories of the time must have been. He was worried about her feelings, but he let none of his concern show and instead treated her strictly as a subordinate. Then one day-- Watase went to the bus stop after work and happened to come across Kazami.

♪ BGM: Loyalist / Theme of Tachibana

Thanks, same to you.

Kazami was a member of Watase's Team A, so she called him ''Captain''. Since he'd feel embarrassed to be called ''Mr. Kasasagi'', Watase had decided to let her keep on calling him that.

I didn't know you took this bus too.
Oh, no, I don't... I just happen to have an errand on this route today...
Huh...

The conversation stopped there. He often talked to Kazami while on-duty, but this was the first time where he'd spoken to her like this off the job. Watase felt quite awkward when he couldn't find another topic to talk about apart from work.

(... This silence is killing me... Okay, okay, I need a topic... Oh, I know.)

Watase suddenly remembered what day it was and brought it up with Kazami.

Now that I think about it, today's Tanabata, isn't it?
Oh, is that right? I was so buried in work that I forgot all about it.
Orihime and Hikoboshi are having their little yearly date in the sky, yet we surface dwellers have work. And all we have to look forward to is sleeping our exhausted hides off. Some holiday, huh?
Heehee...

Watase was relieved to hear a rare laugh from Kazami. He then looked to the skies and continued.

Hey, Tachibana? There's this song that's related to Tanabata. You ever heard of it?
What song?
'Bridge by flight of magpies spanned / White with frost I see / With a deep-laid frost made white / Late, I know, has grown the night'.
What about it...?
It's apparently from the 'Hundred Poems by A Hundred Poets'. Think that one was by Chunagon Yakamochi. Basically, it seems there's a legend that on the night of Tanabata-- Magpies, or kasasagi, form a bridge across the Milky Way with their wings to allow Orihime and Hikoboshi to meet one another. My name comes from this poem. My last name is 'Kasasagi', so my first name, 'Watase', comes from that 'bridge that spans', or 'wataseru hashi' part.

I need to interject here for a second. Do you remember the chapter ''Message'' back in Route After? The one that had the message ''from the tear rain to Altair and the bridge of bird wings''. Back before we got the solution, I theorized at one point that the bridge of bird wings was meant to symbolize Watase, and now we can see where exactly I got that idea from. I didn't particularly remember this scene, but I guess it was just subconsciously in my head that ''kasasagi'' = ''bridge''.

Wow... such a romantic name, if I must say.
Well, when l was a kid, I hated how I had such a girly name. Kinda like it nowadays, though.

Kazami suddenly sighed when Watase said that.

...I'm a bit jealous.
How so?
Because I don't particularly like my name all that much.
Hmm? Why's that?

But wind vanes don't have what you'd call a good image to them, right? When the wind changes direction, those metal roosters go from looking one way to another... That's often likened to the weak of mind, isn't it? I have no idea what my parents were thinking when they gave me a name like that.

Kazami broke out into a wry smile.

I think you're probably misinterpreting that part, Tachibana.
Huh?
It's true that wind vanes carry that sort of image in Japan... but it's a different story in the West. There, a wind vane conveys the image of a 'bird who flies in the face of the wind'. I mean, wind vanes are always facing the wind, right?
Now that you mention it...!
So over there, it's used not to refer to the weak-minded, but rather those who 'face difficulties head on'. It's not a bad name at all. It fits you perfectly.
!!--

Kazami looked down when she heard that for some reason.

Hey, is something wrong?
No, it's just... you know so much.
Hah, don't judge a book by its cover. I wouldn't be a captain of Sirius if my brain was all mush, after all.
...Just what I'd expect from our captain.

Kazami grinned at Watase's words.

• Locked thread