Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Seeing bad ends is good and all but I still feel like complaining about this silly system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If our "Watase" sense is our closeness to the original Watase, it... makes a little sense that he probably wouldn't go out himself into a fire, but if he found himself in a fire he definitely wouldn't hesitate.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ProfessorProf posted:

Alone Desire is definitely the name of a legitimate medical substance.

I was just thinking that. What an awful name for a anti-radiation substance.

Also seriously the SSS when it comes to Watase is loving bullshit. Sometimes it's High = Cocksure and Low = Deferential but then later it's High = Stops to think and Low = Doesn't think. Then later it's High = Brave and Low = Coward.

No loving consistency and you don't find out what situation is what until it goes red and tells you why it's the opposite. If it goes blue or yellow you don't get told "hey during this instance Watase's SSS setting is related to how many marshmallows he can fit in his mouth!"

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
To be fair, when actually playing the game you can tell that you picked wrong by the red choice appearing and get a chance to save and pick other settings before you actually die. You pretty much have to get the bad ends on purpose (except for a couple exceptions).

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Oh, cool, it's a LP for this game. Guess I don't have to worry about which one not to do next (you know, when I eventually finish updating mine).

Interesting choice made going from A -> B, when I played I did the opposite. It's interesting what that changes given what you know of the days leading up to the event and the general background. It probably is a better idea to start in A, however, given how you start with knowing literally nothing.

I'm not sure why people seem to dislike/be confused by the SSS so much, but that might be due to me finishing the game. It's always been related to "trust in X". In the previous one, if you put Watase's self-belief on the same level as everyone else, he doesn't feel the need to take massive risks in oxygen-deficient air to save them. In this one, if it's set to low, he doesn't believe he'll last too much longer (lacks trust in himself), and turns around. In the one with the fire rollover, if low, he doesn't believe in his own abilities to help and follows Kazami's instructions to get out instead.
It's just really situation-specific, so each situation has to be analyzed individually based on what's been said recently. There is one bit where it gets a little weird, however, which I might bring up when we get there.

Also I'm pretty sure everyone aligns with their respective Enneagram personality, from my cursory check.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Run & Search: 09/16/2030, 11:12 - Part 2

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

Alright, let's not gently caress up this time.

Pitch black smoke spread, sending a striking pain through his eyes.

(Great, so not only do I have to hold my breath, but now I'm against fire!?)

If there was any AD in there, he had to get it now or it would be incinerated. But Watase could very well lose his life for real searching in a place like this.

Watase steeled his resolve and stood his ground. He wiped his tears and looked around carefully.

(Is there anything in it!?)

He frantically ran over to the box. Inside of it were-- five ampules of AD.

(Yes! They're here!!)

Watase grabbed the box and took it with him. He then mustered his strength and fled from the room.

His consciousness was fading from oxygen deprivation. His feet were as heavy as lead, and tears filled his eyes, distorting his line of sight.

(Dammit... I've hit... my limit...!)

Watase walked through the darkness, still holding his breath.

(Let me... Let me get this AD to everyone, if nothing else...!)

He leaned against the wall and fumbled his way down the hall. But before long-- his hand came into contact with something soft.

(... A hand?)

Someone's hand was firmly gripping Watase's. Watase wiped his tears and looked in front of him.

(Tachi... bana...)

He called out to her in a voice that wasn't a voice. Kazami also wordlessly replied to him. She appeared to have said ''Captain''. Kazami lent Watase her shoulder-- and then broke off into a mad dash. They reached the room with the ladder and practically dived into it.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Haaaaaaaaaaaah!
Haah, haah... whew... ...Captain, are you all right?
Y-yeah...

Watase took out the AD he'd retrieved as he continued to pant.

More importantly, take this... it's AD. ...Now... we can save... everyone...

Kazami gave him a pointed look.

I'm sorry... guess I made you worry about me again, huh?

Watase was prepared to face another scolding from her. But instead-- Kazami gave him a sweet smile.

Sheesh, you really are always so reckless...!
Y-you're not going to scold me?
I don't endorse heroics, but... I cannot deny that your actions deserve merit this time.
Is... that right...? That's good.
Yes.

Kazami said that and held her hand out to Watase. It was right at that moment that Kazami's watch alarm went off.

It's time to administer the AD. Let's go upstairs.

Hey, Kazami, just a quick reminder that without Watase's heroics earlier with the electrocuted puddle, you'd all have been out of AD for several minutes now.

R-right.

Watase took Kazami's hand and climbed up the ladder. And soon enough--

Jun, Yuuri, and Ena were already lying there, and Ukita was sitting next to them.

All right, then let's administer AD to everyone.
Let's split up the work. Let me have three of them.

Watase and Kazami soon began injecting everyone. First Jun, then Ukita, then Ena, then Yuuri-- And last, they injected themselves.

Next, let's do a vitals check.

Kazami then removed her Vital Checker and wrapped it around everyone's wrists one by one. Watase watched with bated breath as she checked everyone's blood pressure and temperature—- only for her to finish and start speaking with a relieved tone of voice.

...Check completed. Everyone checks out as green. They're all unconscious, but I believe they'll recover soon enough.

Watase then breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Haah... thank God everyone's okay...
Yes. So it should be all right for us to rest a while.
They don't need any antidotes or anything?
Oxygen-deficient air is extremely harmful to humans, but it's not poisonous. They should be all right if they keep inhaling fresh air.
Good, then you stay here and look after the others. I'll take this time to start up this sprinkler system.
But where is it? This place is like a maze...

Kazami examined her surroundings. Just as she'd said, there were various sized pipes and pieces of equipment strewn all over the place. It was difficult to tell where -anything- was here.

Is there a blueprint to this place or anything like that...?

He looked around with that thought in mind, and eventually spotted a machine with a small monitor on it located by the ladder.

What's that?

Watase and Kazami ran up to the machine and found the following written on the screen.

--It appeared they were electronics manuals for the staff who supervised the engine room. Watase decided to tap the ''Electronics Manuals'' bar first, causing the contents of the screen to change.

Can't really tell what each one does from the titles alone.
What's this 'WX particle amplifier operation manual' one?

Kazami pressed that section, changing the screen yet again.

But there wasn't anything important listed in it.

...Doesn't look like it has anything to do with the sprinkler system, does it?
Dammit, is there no sprinkler system manual?

Watase tried to fiddle around with the screen some more, but then--

Ukita called out in a pained voice as he kept sitting on the floor.

Mr. Ukita? You okay?
Y-yes... somehow.

Ukita stood up and shook his head.

...More importantly, I know where the sprinkler system is. They showed it to me during my orientation days, you see. It's further in. I'll guide you there.
I see. That'd be great.
We apologize for inconveniencing you, but we'll kindly take you up on your offer.

Ukita nodded and started walking on unsteady feet. Watase followed him with a similar stumble in his steps.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Looks like despite goons distrusting her, Kazami is into us :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wait so this time Yuuri doesn't give a poo poo about being injected? Or is she still passed out this time around?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Yeah Yuuri was passed out. If she wasn't, I'm sure she'd kick up a fuss.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

AlphaKretin posted:

Wait so this time Yuuri doesn't give a poo poo about being injected? Or is she still passed out this time around?

Logicblade posted:

Yeah Yuuri was passed out. If she wasn't, I'm sure she'd kick up a fuss.

Yeah, the key is that we were quicker this time around. During Falling Down, we first went to fix the sprinklers, then went out for AD, and after coming back, but before injecting the AD, Yuuri woke up. During Run & Search, we first go in for AD, and so Yuuri hasn't woken up yet when we return with the full batch of AD. And also, since we have a full batch of AD, we don't have to work out who gets the remaining one, which also saves time.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Coolant: 09/16/2030, 11:17

♪ BGM: Engine Room Ambience ♫

Ukita pointed further down the path towards an object that had come into view.

...If memory serves me right, that large tank over there is full of water, nitrogen gas, and other fire extinguishing agents.
Nitrogen gas?
It's used to extinguish fires where liquids can't. Think about it: you couldn't use water to put cut fires in a place like where 'Brain Cell' is, could you?
I see... then what's that real thick pipe over there for?

Next to the tank was a thick pipe that crossed near the engine room's ceiling.

That... I believe that is a coolant pipe far the nuclear reactor. It brings in water from a nearby lake.
A lake, huh...

An idea suddenly flashed through Watase's head.

I know! Couldn't we go through that pipe and escape into the lake!?
That'd be impossible.
Huh? Why's that?
I said it was a -coolant- pipe, right? That means it's full of water circulating at high speeds. If you were to break a hole in the pipe to get inside, water would pour out of it with the force of a tidal wave, flooding the entire basement. Everyone would be killed.
I-I see... is there a way to shut off the flow of water?
I don't know. Even if there were, escape would still be impossible. It's 500 meters to the lake from here. Think you could make it that far while holding your breath?
Then what if we used an air tank--
Actually, that's a good idea... or at least it would be, if there were enough air tanks and masks for everyone.
Well, even if we did, the water used by the coolant is heated by the reactor. I believe it's over 50 degrees Celsius. Not a temperature one can hope to withstand.

So it really was impossible to escape through the pipe: in a number of ways. Watase's shoulders slumped in disappointment.

I see... and here I thought it was a good idea.
Unfortunately, no. Even I considered right away if it was possible. But I didn't mention it up until now because it was impossible to begin with. After all, I believe these things were probably explained to you before you lost your memory, no?

Those sarcastic words hit too close to home.

I see... I'm sorry, but I don't remember that at all...

A blue path asking about our opinion of Ukita, which sits at 5.

Are you sure you don't remember anything? Such as why you went down to the basement, or the names of the people you were trying to save?
Nothing... Tachibana said my memories would return in time, but it seems it's taking a while...

Ukita went quiet. He looked at Watase with a somewhat doubtful expression.

What's this all about, Mr. Ukita... don't tell me you're doubting me?
Oh, no-- but you still went to get AD for everyone in spite of your condition?
Yeah... after all, there's not much I can do as I am now. My body's still strong even without my memories. So I feel I have to make up for my lack of knowledge with my physical abilities.
Because radiation is more terrifying than gas? That's why you took such a huge risk just now?
...Okay Mr. Ukita, exactly what is it that you're trying to say? Are you saying it would have been better if I hadn't gotten any AD or something?
Wh-what a preposterous accusation...! I just, well... I just wanted say that it seemed to be quite 'impressive' for someone who doesn't have memories to do that.
Wh-what's gotten into you... I'm not -that- happy about getting a compliment from you, old man.
Who're you calling an old man? I'm only 35. I'm not that much older than you, right?
Now that you mention it, that's true... well, as fellow old men, it's our duty to work together and help these girls out.

He thought it was a bit rude-- but he felt feelings of kinship towards Ukita welling up inside him when he called the latter ''old man''. That term felt like it naturally suited Ukita, probably because his appearance and white hair made him look much older than he actually was. Ukita didn't particularly seem to mind. However, he suddenly came to a stop.

Whoa there... we've made it. This is it.

Watase looked and saw that there were countless valves next to the tank.

It appears that these valves are closed for some reason.
So they really were running an inspection on them...?
We can't say for sure now. Anyway, the sprinkler system should reactivate if we open them up.
All right! Lend me a hand, old man!
Very well.

After that exchange, Watase and Ukita turned the valves one after another. The tank began to groan, and the pipes connected to it all started vibrating at once.

...Good, this should take care of matters.
I hope this takes out the fires in Area N too...
No, unfortunately, it seems that the sprinklers in that area use a separate system.
I see...

But just having the fires in the other areas all taken care of was more than enough.

Anyway, shall we go report our success to the others?
No, I'll stay here for a while and make sure the system is operating normally.
Sorry, thanks.

Watase then parted ways with Ukita and headed back to Kazami.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 1

This blue path is asking us about Jun, who of course still sits at 8.

Yuuri was still lying on the floor, but Jun and Ena were already up and about.

Oh, so you guys are up and running again?
Yes... thank you for helping us...
C-Captain, I'm so ashamed of myself... I wanna bury myself in a hole after fainting right after a dramatic exit like that...

R-really...?
Really. You should be proud of yourself.
Heheh... you sure are nice today, Captain~...

A smile rose to Jun's pale face. Kazami also seemed relieved.

He's right. We were also able to get some AD thanks to you.
Huh... you found AD?
Yeah, we administered it to you while you guys were out of it.
Oh thank God, now we can take it a bit easy, huh?
You're right... and it also appears the sprinkler system is back online.
Yeah, now we don't have to worry so much about getting taken out by a fire.
And if it takes out the source of the fire downstairs, we'll be able to walk around normally soon enough.
Hey, how long will it take for the sprinkler system to finish extinguishing and ventilating everything?
Let me see... About ten minutes or so, I believe.

It was a bit troubling that they were stuck here for a while, but--

(But now that I think about, all of us must be tired...)

If someone with a body like Watase's was tired, then it was probably worse for everyone else.

...Then why don't we take a little break until Yuuri wakes up?
That sounds good. After all, there isn't much else we can do for the moment.
Amen to that.

And so the group decided to take a rest while the sprinkler system did its work.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Also, I've now put a jukebox post into the second post of the thread. All the music we've already heard will be there. Including Memento Mori, a track that apparently played at some point, but I missed when it happened. Either that, or it will come up in the rest of the current batch of footage I have. That's also an option, since I just used the game's jukebox unlocking system to estimate what we've already heard and what not.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
To me 50°C water sounded uncomfortably warm but not a temperature "one can't hope to withstand" if the alternative is to be radiated to death.

But looking it up it seems that it's hot enough to cause third degree burns after five minutes. Swimming 500 meters in water at least that temperature doesn't seem plausible.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ukita is a shady motherfucker and we should have kept an eye on him. He probably just hosed up the sprinkler system while we weren't looking.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

tiistai posted:

To me 50°C water sounded uncomfortably warm but not a temperature "one can't hope to withstand" if the alternative is to be radiated to death.

But looking it up it seems that it's hot enough to cause third degree burns after five minutes. Swimming 500 meters in water at least that temperature doesn't seem plausible.
50C is 122F, for fellow Americans. Aside from the burns, I'd be worried about heatstroke from the heat & prolonged physical exertion. Water transfers heat a lot better than air does(which is also why it burns you when 122F air wouldn't).

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Isn't 120 degrees F like a hot shower?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

A shower isn't totally immersing you for a long, energetic swim.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

SSNeoman posted:

Ukita is a shady motherfucker and we should have kept an eye on him. He probably just hosed up the sprinkler system while we weren't looking.

He didn't last time, and that was when we left him completely unattended instead of having a discussion with him. Also, yet more circumstantial evidence for the 'We're really someone else' crowd in that conversation.

Also, yet another example of 'bizarrely old looking (by the standards of anime) thirty-something year olds'. Seriously, if you have grey hair by the time you're thirty five, you have no business calling someone who vaguely looks their age out on calling you an old man.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Fighters' Rest: 09/16/2030, 11:20

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 1

Haah...

When Watase breathed, a faint ache throbbed in his ribs that had been injured in the flash over earlier.

(They've been hurting for a while... are they cracked...?)

The group had been accumulating not just fatigue, but injuries as well.

...Moribe, Teach, you guys holding up okay?
My fingertips are a bit numb... but I'm fine.
I think I'll be all right after a little rest, myself.
And you, Tachibana?
There are no issues with me either... all that numbness in my skin went away after I took that AD.
...Great, that's the best news yet.

Which meant that it really had been radiation exposure that was responsible for the bad shape she'd been in lately.

Man, AD must be pretty drat effective if it only takes a couple seconds to kick in.
That's -too- quick, if you ask me. Perhaps the negative effects of the radiation and the drug's effectiveness are just products of Our imaginations. A so-called placebo, if you will.

Tips posted:

TIP: Placebo
Category: Nonfiction

A false medicine with no active ingredients. Often used in clinical trials to verify the efficacy of a real drug by comparison and contrast. The placebo effect is what happens when somebody takes a placebo under the impression that it is a real drug, but their symptoms improve regardless. In simple terms, the improvement is ''just their imagination''. However, it is true that from ancient times, Japan has had adages like ''health starts with the mind'' and ''sickness is mind over matter''. If the sense of security you get from taking a medicine is what gives you a positive attitude, and that attitude in turn is what lets you overcome the sickness, does it matter if the medicine is real or not?

...But it's better to have AD.

Watase glanced at his Procyon and said that. The reading had gone up again.

Look, it's '3090 mSv' right now... doesn't look like it'll be long until it passes the first danger standard of '4000 mSv'.
...Having AD will only get more and more important if that happens. It seems there were people in the Chernobyl disaster who also tried to minimize the damage from the accident in an environment over 4000 mSv. It's been rumored that the mortality rate for the workers who were in that environment was 100%...

Everyone's faces froze over.

... Wow, I know they didn't have AD back then, but still, 100%?
Though we're getting used to it... 3090 mSv is still a staggering dosage of radiation under normal circumstances, isn't it? I hope Mr. Tenkawa and the others have some AD, but...!
Teach, don't panic. The fact that we've seen empty medical boxes and AD means that there's a high chance they found some too.
H-he's right, Ms. Tsubakiyama... rushing things will only lead to more danger. Let's just rest now while we still can.
Mmm... good point.

Ena gave a weary smile. She'd usually been so sharp-tongued, but now, perhaps as a result of her own fatigue catching up with her, she seemed to have calmed down.

Ms. Tsubakiyama... this has all been really harsh on you, has it not?
To be honest, yeah, in it's own way. I've gotten tired from running around from place to place... And while I'm at it... I haven't eaten anything since this morning, so I'm a bit hungry.

Watase then noticed his own hunger. He didn't know when the last time he'd eaten was, but his stomach felt empty.

... But I feel more thirsty than anything. My throat's parched from all that fire and smoke flying around, not to mention all that running and jumping.
That's true... I'd like to find water if we can.
No, it'd be best not to.
Huh? Why's that?
There's a high chance that the facility's water has already been contaminated by radiation. Drinking something like that would expose your body to radiation from the inside.
...You making GBS threads me?
Exposed to radiation from the inside... yeah, even AD might not protect you from that.

Then that meant they'd have to go without even drinking while they were here. It'd be another seven hours at most... that thought was quite disheartening, to say the least.

... Oh geez, why the hell did all this happen...!?
Everything was totally normal until yesterday, but I guess it's true when they say no one knows what the future holds...

Dark clouds of depression began gradually shrouding all those there. Jun quickly spoke up in a cheery voice as if to blow them away.

C'mon Ms. Tsubakiyama, let's stop being all gloom and doom here. We'll get you and your students outta here safely, just you wait.
Ah... I'm sorry, it looks like I let everything get to me for a second there... I guess when I started thinking about the possibility that we could die in a place like this-—
S-stop, don't jinx us all like that!
You mustn't say that. Showing weakness will only double the danger.
Got that right. I'll be damned if I let a single person die here.
...You three sure are strong.

Ena hung her head down and quietly muttered that.

Blue path, asking us about Jun, Ena and Kazami. Jun still at the top with 8, Kazami trailing with 7, and Ena far away with 3.

You guys really are a fine rescue squad... Compared to you, all I'm good at is being all talk and no action with nothing to back it up...
Huh? Oh, uh... it's fine, don't worry about it.
She's right. Anyone would get worked up if they were thrown into a situation like this. It's only natural.
But... I'll try to make sure I do as you all say from now on.
Yeah, I think it's better that way.
Yes. The worst thing that could happen in this situation is a breakdown in teamwork.
True... I'm sorry, guys.

The atmosphere grew gloomy from the truly apologetic look on Ena's face.

W... well hey, while we're at it, why don't we talk about something cheerful?
Do we even have anything cheerful to talk about...?
Hey, I've got one. You know, you've gained a few points in my book, Captain.
Huh?
I'm talking about your latest stunt. Man, you were so cool back there, huh?
?? What do you mean, 'back there'?
I mean when he carried me and Yuuri as you ran through that gas, of course~
Wait, you were awake for that?
Barely. But still, it's not like you to do something so passionately.

Oh, I remember that too. I remember Ms. Tachibana saying 'please carry those two'-- And then you were all like 'Ieave it to me!' without even hesitating a second.
Well... that's just because there was no time to think about it...
Don't be modest. You were both manly and incredible.

Watase felt a bit taken aback about someone calling him ''incredible'' right to his face.

What's with the sudden flip-flop here...? Weren't you calling me 'unreliable' at first?
Well, after seeing Captain Unreliable pull through when it really counted, he's become a rather wonderful man in my eyes.

Another blue Ena path. For now, we're still not warming up to her.

Oh my, embarrassed? You're quite pure-hearted for your age.
What's this? Are you actually hitting on the Captain, Ms. Tsubakiyama?
Well now, am I?

Ena's giggle made it impossible to tell what she was truly feeling. Watase shook his head in mild exasperation.

Teach, this isn't the time to be teasing people.
Oh, but I'm doing it -because- of that. It's what they call the suspension bridge effect.
The suspension bridge effect?
It's a psychological effect where the opposite sex seems more attractive to you in dangerous situations. That's because your heart instinctively pounds in those times, giving you the illusion you're in a very romantic situation.
I see...

It was a logical explanation truly befitting of a teacher-- but just as Watase thought that--

Ms. Tsubakiyama, that is the epitome of an illusion.

Kazami interjected with a cold voice.

Wh-what?
You wouldn't know this, but the current Captain is about... well, about 30% the man that the normal Captain is.
Tachibana, you're... really harsh...!
Yep, she's super-duper harsh... especially with men. Thanks to that, she ain't popular with the guys at all, even though she's so pretty.
Watch your tongue, Moribe.
That's a real shame. If I were a man, I'd never pass up someone so pretty, gallant, and competent like you.
Ms. Tsubakiyama, please don't join in on this too.
Oh brother... you're being a real stick in the mud today, Sis.

Kazami furrowed her eyebrows at that last part.

Moribe, I believe I told you to refer to me as 'Lieutenant' when we're on duty.
Hmm, what's this 'Sis' business about?
You certainly don't look like sisters, and your last names are different...
Oh, well you see, we've lived real close to each other ever since I was a kid, so it's a habit of mine.
That said, I keep telling her to keep personal affairs out of work, but as you see...
Aw, c'mon, I can do that during a break, right, Sis?
How many times must I tell you... Sheesh...

Kazami gave an exasperated sigh, and the rest of the group laughed. It was the first time since they'd arrived at this facility-- No, it was the first time since Watase woke up that they'd ever had a moment of peace. --But that tranquility didn't last long. For the sound of Ukita's voice soon brought them all back to reality.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

S-s-so repairing the body from the inside is okay, shielding people from within the skin is okay purging radioactive contaminants is out of the question?? :psyduck:

I should stop thinking about this.

TBH I'm not sure I like how trope-y the writing this "oh yeah this is the suspension bridge effect, that's why I'm into you ^_^" I'd expect that from sis Kazami, at most.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

TheMcD posted:

...Having AD will only get more and more important if that happens. It seems there were people in the Chernobyl disaster who also tried to minimize the damage from the accident in an environment over 4000 mSv. It's been rumored that the mortality rate for the workers who were in that environment was 100%...
I'm probably thinking about this the wrong way, but I feel this is being vague on how long those workers lived after that event. As scary as a 100% mortality rate sounds, unless you say how long they lived for was a short time, it could have been years before they passed away.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's all acute radiation though. This isn't "oh you get 4 Sv a year (which is still p huge btw)", it's "you're continuously in an environment where you get exposed to 4 Sv without proper anti-radiation suits or equipment"

I know AD is a thing but the game is being real blase about this.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 12, 2016

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I thought everything had a 100% mortality rate, eventually.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

It's all acute radiation though. This isn't "oh you get 4 Sv a year (which is still p huge btw)", it's "you're continuously in an environment where you get exposed to 4 Sv without proper anti-radiation suits or equipment"

I know AD is a thing but the game is being real blase about this.

The thing is that I genuinely don't remember much of the game beyond what I've played apart from the general gist of the story, character motivations and so on, so I don't really know how they treat this going forward. I just kind of accepted it straight up and never questioned it.

Right now, everybody should be largely fine if we accept AD as something that a) completely neutralizes all acute radiation intake below 4000 mSv and b) counteracts accumulated radiation at a similar level. However, poo poo's going up, we're already at 3000 mSv in general, and for that matter, they've already been through some more contaminated zones. Watase and Jun spent a few minutes in a zone that had about 9000 mSv, so they took in about 5000 mSv right there for a few minutes.

I've got to be honest, I think we're just going to have to accept that this poo poo ain't right and that whatever numbers the story gives us as life-threatening are going to be the numbers that are life-threatening, not the ones reality tells us are life-threatening.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

They do cover this in one of the game's handy dandy informational files, so we'll see it talked about eventually.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I think I figured it out! AD operates on a quantum level, binding itself to any radiation it encounters in your body and teleporting it into an alternate universe in which you're already dead. It's quite simple, really :pseudo:

edit: and that is why we need to get bad endings from time to time. It's a safety measure.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

Right now, everybody should be largely fine if we accept AD as something that a) completely neutralizes all acute radiation intake below 4000 mSv and b) counteracts accumulated radiation at a similar level. However, poo poo's going up, we're already at 3000 mSv in general, and for that matter, they've already been through some more contaminated zones. Watase and Jun spent a few minutes in a zone that had about 9000 mSv, so they took in about 5000 mSv right there for a few minutes.

Reminder that the Procyon's measuring mSv/hour. The way AD's been described, it utterly eliminates 4000 mSv/hour while it's up.

Radiation exposure posted:

10000 mSv...100 percent death rate
4000 mSv... 50 percent death rate within 60 days
3000 mSv... disturbance of consciousness
1000 mSv... nausea, fatigue
500 mSv... temporary reduction in white blood cell count
<200~250 msV... no symptoms
2.4 mSv... natural radiation dosage (global average)
note: 1000 μSv = 1 mSv = 0.001 Sv

So yeah, they were in a zone that was 5000 mSv/hour for 5 minutes max (probably less, given it took them a while to find it and Watase woke up 5 minutes past that section's start), meaning that at most they took in ~420 mSv of radiation. In the long term, it'll probably be bad, but for now they're fine.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Body: 09/16/2030, 11:25

Watase looked over to see Ukita running towards the rest of them. And at that very moment-- Yuuri's eyes opened.

This time, the blue path is asking us about Yuuri, who sits at 5.

Oh, she's awake. Thank goodness.

Yuuri sat up and looked around in confusion. It didn't appear there was anything wrong with her body.

The Captain carried you and ran all the way here. You don't remember?
Huh...?

Yuuri looked back and forth between Watase and Jun with a bewildered look on her face--

U-um... thank you... very much...

--then nervously thanked them.

Oh, it was nothing. Both you and Jun were light, after all. More importantly, think you can you walk?
Um... yes, I think I'll be fine.
All right, now that Ms. Yuuri's awake... let's discuss what to do next.

Kazami took out her PDA and began her explanation.

First, this is our current position. And the room that the ladder leads down to is--

--this room right here in B1 of Area 3's outer ring. Now that the fires in LABO have been put out, our search has become all the safer for it, and we can move around more than we could before... But there's a high probability that any AD located in areas previously engulfed in fire has been destroyed.
True... but that makes things harder for us.

They were down to only one AD ampule right now. But they'd almost searched the entirety of Areas 1-4.

I hope we can expand our search to Area 5... but we don't have the right card.
Right. We still have yet to locate a Level 5 security card. Area 4 is as far as we can go for now.
Why don't we look for a card in a place we haven't searched yet?
In that case--

Watase touched the PDA, causing the screen's display to switch.

Why don't we try the outer ring here first? Now that the gas is gone and we're here anyway, it's worth a shot.
True, you searched it in a hurry, so you didn't find out if there was a card there or not.
The only other place is B2 of Area 4's outer ring: the place where we came across Louise. Right?
Yeah, and the inner ring's already contaminated... so let's search those two blocks.
The odds are slim, but we don't have a better option.
Right...
But... I wouldn't say our chances are -that- bad. There may have been some Area 5 researchers who went through Area 4 to evacuate. It wouldn't be surprising for at least one of them to have dropped their card there during all that chaos this morning.
I see...

Then there was still hope. Starting up the sprinkler system was nothing more than a way of increasing the search field. In the end, it didn't change that the group needed to find ''survivors'' and ''AD''. And also a ''Level 5 card'' to progress onwards and an ''exit''.

Very well then. Everyone, I apologize to have to end your rest here, but...
Let's press on just a little bit more!

All right.

The three survivors all gave a firm nod.

(Everyone's probably getting exhausted...)

But no one showed any signs of that on their faces. It seemed the prior incident had managed to bring the group closer together.

But don't push yourselves, guys. Say something if you're not feeling well.

A yellow path, asking us about Jun, who still sits at maximum.

The group headed towards the ladder while feeling a sense of trust behind those words.

The sprinkler system's stuff has all been drained now, so there's no problem... Okay, let's check the gates in this area first.
Everyone, please be cautious about the possibility of leftover gas for now. If anything smells even the slightest bit strange, please get out of there.

Everyone nodded.

And now, having a high Sense of Jun at that decision point brings us into the second Jun scene, with the first one being Senior & Junior - scenes which I erroneously simply called ''optional''. The basic gist for these scenes is that they're basically friendship scenes that we get for having a high Sense of a character, but if we end up not getting one because we had a low Sense at that time, we're off the rail and won't get any of the scenes after that. And at this point, I'm pretty sure the only character we're still able to get the scenes for is Jun. So next up is our next friendship scene with Jun.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well at least Jun still wants to be our friend

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, at least we've unlocked more of this place to go exploring in.

I wonder what kind of anti-radiation gear those meddling kids have. Weren't they deeper in?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Nine Years Ago

But then Jun spoke up.

Hold on, Captain. Do you know where the room that was on fire is?
Yeah, it's that one further down over there. What about it?
Do you mind helping me search it? I want to play it safe just in case something happens.

Watase could feel a slight hint of nervousness in Jun's voice.

No, maybe the reason she was trying to be so proactive was in order to get rid of the fear she still felt from that incident. Once he realized what she was thinking, Watase nodded.

Sure. But be careful. There might still be some gas here.
Roger!

Watase and Jun fired themselves up and went into the room.

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Jun looked around the scorched room and quietly spoke.

Looks like the fire's been completely put out, but still...
Any card that was in here must have been burned to ashes.

Watase was about to leave the room, but spotted some documents at his feet before he could. They were sopping wet from the sprinkler's extinguishing agents, so the letters were blurred-- but he could still read the word ''Disaster'' on the front.

Hmm... what's this?
Let me see.

Watase and Jun picked it up and drew their heads close so they could look over it together.

--It appeared to be a record regarding a fire that'd happened in this facility in the past.

Jun muttered that in a grim voice.

Yeah... if I'm not mistaken, it's 2030 now, right?
Yeah. That was nine years ago, huh?
Do you remember that fire at all?
Well, I was in elementary school at the time... but yeah, I vaguely remember hearing about it. I think a kid died. But it was the uproar that happened -after- the fire rather than the fire itself that was more memorable.
What do you mean?
That kid was taken to the hospital afterwards and died... but there were all these scandalous stories about it at first. Stuff like 'the kid died of radiation exposure' or 'the fire caused a radiation leak'.
What...!?
Well, it was only a few people who made such a big fuss out of it, and the stories were soon dismissed as rumors... but the part about the kid dying is true.
...That sure isn't easy to think about...
Yeah... 2021 was a real bad year.

Jun looked back at the report.

The fact that they said 'the worst possible outcome was averted' means that a Case N probably didn't happen back then...
The 'disaster' did end up repeating itself anyway...!

Watase and Jun's voices were tinged with bitterness. The security systems must never have been enhanced.

Tch... then let's make sure that there's at least no more victims this time around.
drat straight. We'll save everyone and get the hell out of here.

Watase and Jun nodded at each other and left the room.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
So S read some "research results" that had something to do with "N" and three months later decided to burn the whole loving place down. Coincidentally two kids somehow broke into the facility the same day and although "two lives were lost" Jun is saying the media only talked about one kid dying.

LABO sounds legit

Speaking of S, I guess Sannomiya's father would be the best guess for now

tiistai fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 15, 2016

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'm still trying to figure out what word could end in -ro and also end a sentence.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Man, that document.

I have to say that sometimes this game is a pain to make comments about.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Speculation: The dead kid is Yuuri, and she's actually a radiation ghost. That's why she doesn't like AD, because it makes her exist less. What? :v:

No but seriously I'm speculating she and the dead kid have something to do with each other.

CirclMastr posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what word could end in -ro and also end a sentence.

It's a bit at odds with the tone of the letter, but "hero"? Otherwise I imagine it was a Japanese word ending in -ro left as a transliteration because the translators couldn't tell what it was meant to be either. :v:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 15, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

CirclMastr posted:

A Japanese name would fit, I guess. We do have a Mashiro Toba but I dunno.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Zero is the first word that comes to mind. I don't know what to make about the document though, but I'm almost positive that the children that snuck into the lab nine years ago have something to do with the high schoolers we haven't found yet.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Maybe the kid died from prototype AD, and was related to Yuuri? Hence the distrust of current AD?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
What if AD saves you from radiation now, but you die of rogue nanomachines later? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Haifisch posted:

What if AD saves you from radiation now, but you die of rogue nanomachines later? :tinfoil:

Turns you into a loving cyborg.

They haven't said where the nano-bots go when they "run out"

• Locked thread