Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

MONSTER: 09/16/2030, 07:46

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

He looked back to see the man standing by the entrance of the small room. The man glared at Natsuhiko with his gun at his waist. Natsuhiko immediately focused and sent a full-force wave of telepathy with all of his willpower.

{STOP!!!!!!}

--But the man didn't falter one bit.

!? {Don't move!!!!!!}

He tried one more time, but the man showed no hint of any change.

(It's not working! Is he withstanding it!?)
...Telepathy, eh? You caught me off guard back there, but it's not going to work again.

Aghh!!

The man grabbed him by the neck and pulled him in with frightening strength. His fierce glare pierced Natsuhiko like a sword.

What happened to the girl?
...Who gives a drat?

The moment he answered that,

!!

the man's fist sank into Natsuhiko's gut.

Gah... hah...

It felt as if his stomach had ruptured. He couldn't breathe.

Tch... clever kid!

The man clicked his tongue and beat Natsuhiko in the face.

...!!!

Lights flashed before Natsuhiko's eyes and for a moment, his consciousness threatened to out out. He heard the man's voice through the ringing in his ears.

You drat Communicators really rub me the wrong way...! So even a pack of monsters like you can value your friends, huh? I didn't know you monsters even had it in you.

The man's voice was full of pitch black hate. Ena's words played back in Natsuhiko's ear.

''The mere thought that 'they're not like us' is enough to incite them to hate others, ostracize them, and injure them. Their mentality is abnormal...!''

--So Natsuhiko stood up to fight against that hatred.

O-of course we do...! I don't know why you hate us so much! Communicators are people too! But we don't hate ordinary people without reason! We don't set towns on fire. We don't set bombs. And we don't shoot people indiscriminately, either! We're not like you, you terrorists!
--

Natsuhiko could hear the man gasp. Eventually, the man smiled and his voice echoed.

Khh... khahahah... hahahahahah!! Well, no poo poo! No proper human would! But it's pretty ballsy of you to say that to my face, kid. Your kind killed over a hundred people!!
!?

Natsuhiko's eyes widened at those words. The man tightened his grip around Natsuhiko's neck and continued.

Look, you Communicator... Even if you don't know it, I've got a perfectly good reason to hate your kind. You have precious friends, right? Well there was someone who was more precious to me than anyone else.
Wh... what are you... talking about...!?
You don't know? Nah, of course you don't. What's one more dead kid in a list of 118 casualties? But that kid was my other half. My very mirror image. Weak, but motivated. Stupid, but gentle. The very embodiment of light to me. But that light died. And all that's left is a dark shadow. ...That's me. That's Watase Kasasagi. Burn that name into your ears. Carve it into your mind. Reflect on that name until the moment you die!!
(W... Watase Kasasagi...!?)

It was a name he had never heard before. Natsuhiko had no idea what the man was talking about. But the man didn't sweat the details as he slipped the gun out from his waist. At that moment, Natsuhiko froze.

(He's gonna shoot!?)

All doubt flew away from his mind. And in its place-- he recalled a conversation he once had with Salyu.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

Dabbling just a bit in martial arts won't help much. But there are techniques that even amateurs can use. If someone tries to grab you by the neck--

♪ BGM: The Brave Decision

As soon as he remembered, Natsuhiko's body moved on its own.

!?

He grabbed the man's wrist back-- --and nimbly wrapped around behind him.

Guh...!?

The man braced his legs. But with a vigorous yell,

Dyaaaahhh!

...uh, not to ruin the moment here, but drat, this looks off in so many ways.

Gagh!!

The man's body struck the floor. That was the shihonage-- the only technique Salyu taught him. As he fell, something dropped from the man's pocket--

(A security card! If I just break it!!)

Natsuhiko picked up the card and snapped it in two.

He was still holding the gun in his hand.

(Is he going to shoot!? No-- If I keep running away, I can trap him!)

Natsuhiko turned back and tried to dash out of the room. But then a gunshot rang out,

and Natsuhiko's left arm popped.

Gggghhhhh!!

He shouted against his will. He was struck by intense pain as if he had been hit by a blunt force weapon in the upper arm and his brain were burning.

Gugh, uugh... ...Uwaaaahhhh!!

Natsuhiko withstood the intense pain and tumbled out of the room.

He took the split card and threw it into the blazing flames. A shout shot up from behind him.

Natsuhiko looked back to see the man standing behind the flames. The man took out another card from his pocket to replace the one Natsuhiko destroyed.

Too bad that wasn't my only card. I came prepared.
...!
So don't even think you're getting away, Communicator!! I will find you, and I will kill you! I swear!

Natsuhiko shook off that voice and ran. And thus began his desperate fight for his life in the underground facility without an exit.

But that area was also wrapped in flames, the heat waves tormenting Natsuhiko. As he ran, his breathing grew rough. Blood oozed out of his arm and side. His body was gradually losing strength.

(D-dammit... What do I do? How do I defeat him...!?)

The telepathy attacks weren't working on him. His heart obviously wasn't open, so Natsuhiko couldn't use empathy. And the throwing techniques weren't enough to do any real damage. No matter how much Natsuhiko kept running, he would be overtaken and shot to death.

(If I at least had some sort of weapon...!)

He looked around and soon realized-- --he could use the fires surrounding him as a weapon!

...!

Natsuhiko kicked the burning wall with all his strength. The wallboard tore off and fell to the floor. He held the board to the fire, setting it aflame as a sort of makeshift torch.

(It's do or die, huh... If I could just hit him in the face with this...!)

If it worked out, he could blind the man. With that thought in mind, Natsuhiko hid himself under cover. Eventually, he heard the area gate open. Heavy footsteps approached.

(Wait for it... Don't go until the last second.)

Natsuhlko lowered his breath, concealed himself completely, and waited for the right timing--

!

The man shrank back for a second. The board flew towards his face-- But right before impact, he swatted it out of the air with his arm.

Ah...

Please, you didn't think this would defeat me, did you?

The man spoke in disappointment as he casually shot his gun.

!!

A third bullet gouged itself into Natsuhiko's body, this time in the right leg.

He leaned against the wall. But he put up with the pain and forced his legs to run away.

(Is he going to shoot me in the back!?)

He thought so, but the man did not. Instead of a gunshot, he heard a scoffing voice.

Don't think I'll just -give- you the repose of death. That's it. Run, run, run, you drat Communicator. Just like how we ran in the hospital that night.

The man kept speaking unintelligibly as he made his leisurely pursuit. Natsuhiko's voice overflowed with bitterness.

...Dammit...! Dammit, dammit, dammit...!

Natsuhiko cursed over and over as he ran for his life. Searching for a way to defeat the man and survive. Searching for a glimmer of hope in the midst of despair--

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Ok, I have to admit, I was giving Watase poo poo privately but it turns out he can acquit himself well so long as his opponent isn't french. Also, who is this mysterious person who died? Is it the brown haired girl (with Watase being more self aware of his fantasies than Natsuhiko)? There is still the strange girl in restraints, and the one who is the spitting image of Salyu as well.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Wow...judging from that first shot of Watase with the gun, and the way he was acting in the factory, I'm guessing that Watase has the rage virus, but he really seems a lot more vicious than everyone else that has succumbed so far - Ukita, Jun and Tachibana - all of them seemed to simply want to kill their target; Watase is actively playing with, and trying to prolong Natsuhiko's suffering.

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 17, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Watase sounds like Adachi in my head.

HydroSphere posted:

Wow...judging from that first shot of Watase with the gun, and the way was acting in the factory, I'm guessing that Watase has the rage virus, but he really seems a lot more vicious than everyone else that has succumbed so far - Ukita, Jun and Tachibana - all of them seemed to simply want to kill their target; Watase is actively playing with, and trying to prolong Natsuhiko's suffering.

I dunno if it's the rage virus, then. This feels like something very different.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 17, 2017

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, I was of the opinion that Nat was (indirectly) behind everyone going insane in After. I'm going to make a quick guess that Watase is undergoing a psychotic break (or whatever the term is) because he saw something that vividly reminded him of the hospital, namely Salyu.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
It's a lot easier to find what's being referenced when you have access to the entirety of A and B.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cyouni posted:

It's a lot easier to find what's being referenced when you have access to the entirety of A and B.

Yeah, I was almost going to make an oblique hint along the lines of "you should be able to solve this" regarding two things:

1) The person Watase is talking about (while we don't actually know the person, we've seen them before).
2) The event Watase is talking about.

You can work these two out if you can put the right 2 and 2 together.

EDIT: Well, it'd be a bit unfair to say that you can work them out - twists are everywhere in this game - but you can definitely make an educated stab and back it up with information from the game.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 17, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, I was almost going to make an oblique hint along the lines of "you should be able to solve this" regarding two things:

1) The person Watase is talking about (while we don't actually know the person, we've seen them before).

I will note it's a lot easier to back up 1 if you start from 2.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Everyone's talking about theories and predictions and I'm just sitting here squeeing because OMG NAT KISSED MASHIRO YES!!!

To celebrate, the latest:

Psychology Time with Junpei!

Today's topic: Watase's type in the Enneagram!

The Investigator

In Brief: Investigators are alert, insightful, and curious. They are able to concentrate and focus on developing complex ideas and skills. Independent, innovative, and inventive, they can also become preoccupied with their thoughts and imaginary constructs. They become detached, yet high-strung and intense. They typically have problems with eccentricity, nihilism, and isolation. At their Best: visionary pioneers, often ahead of their time, and able to see the world in an entirely new way.

Basic Fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable
Basic Desire: To be capable and competent
Key Motivation: Want to possess knowledge, to understand the environment, to have everything figured out as a way of defending the self from threats from the environment.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

TheMcD posted:

EDIT: Well, it'd be a bit unfair to say that you can work them out - twists are everywhere in this game - but you can definitely make an educated stab and back it up with information from the game.

I'm pretty sure the person he's talking about is the brown haired girl in the mirror, who's probably a hallucination. The only Hospital I can think of is the one burned in the Rokumei Arson, but I got the feeling this happened when Watase was roughly the same age as Boy!Nat when this happened and the dates don't seem to match. I could have the dates and/or Watase's age completely wrong however.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Maybe Watase's "Other Half" was also a Yuuri-style BC ghost :tinfoil:

We could be in for a GHOST FIGHT

Edit: I've been rereading some of Route After, and I think I might have a handle on what's going on, but considering where we are and the circumstances behind it, I'm going to let this scene play out before I commit any theories to a post :ohdear: I will say I'm fairly sure that washroom scene with Watase blatantly and openly revealed a major plot point without anyone noticing, but I might be barking up the wrong tree.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 18, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

PRAYER: 09/16/2030, 07:51

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

From his side. His left arm. His right leg.

He knew he was losing too much blood.

Natsuhiko arrived in a bizarre place.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Giant cylindrical machines were lined up. Their whirring noises indicated they were operational.

(Wh... what is this place...?)

Natsuhiko did not remember how he had gotten there. His consciousness kept threatening to cut out.

(... N-no... Who cares about that? Is there anything I can use as a weapon--?)

Natsuhiko's hazy thoughts were drowned out by a gunshot.

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

Gah...!

With another bullet pierced into his left arm, Natsuhiko collapsed to the ground.

(I... I can't...!)

The wound was likely fatal. As Natsuhiko sank into a puddle of blood, the man's voice rained down upon him.

--So this is where you die?

The man had apparently followed him all the way here. Natsuhiko hadn't even realized it.

This is the perfect gravesite for you monsters.

The man trampled Natsuhiko's hand, smashing the security card in his grip.

(Agh... gh...)

Pain ran through his trampled hand, but he could no longer even scream. As Natsuhiko slowly looked up, the man questioned him.

How does it feel? Does it hurt?
Well, I'm sure it's nowhere near the level of pain the light of my life suffered at the hands of you monsters. But please, enjoy your 10,000th of that pain as you die there.

Natsuhiko could say nothing. All he could do was question what he had just heard.

(What is he talking about... Who is this ''light of his life''...?)

The man turned back and said,

...After you comes the girl. So long, Communicator.
(--!?)

Natsuhiko gasped to hear those words.

In an instant, Natsuhiko's consciousness came rushing back. The desire to protect Mashiro roused him. His body had already lost a large volume of blood. He probably didn't have much longer. He had no weapons. Telepathy was useless. But even so--

(... Think of a way to stop him...!)

In an instant, Natsuhiko's thoughts ran wild. In the situation devoid of all hope. And inside the endless darkness--

He found a single ray of hope.

(... My... ability... The power to connect minds rather than just brains... Can I use that to defeat him...!?)

When he had connected with Mashiro's heart, he saw her memories as if they were his own. Each memory seemed delicate, fragile, easy to break.

(But obviously, that wasn't reality... That was just a visualization of the brain activity inside Mashiro's head, wasn't it...!?)

He had no idea what the underlying principles behind the third ability were. But it felt like diving into people's memories-- It was an aberrant BC ability that allowed direct interference with the brain's function.

(If that's the case, then depending on how I go about it, perhaps I could use it to deal direct damage to his brain...!)

It was hardly a glimmer of hope, but rather nothing more than wishful thinking. But as he thought about it, Natsuhiko remembered something. In particular, he remembered the last of ''Rokumei City's Seven Wonders''. The one he could not remember when they were telling them to Salyu. It was the reverse of Wonder Number 5, which was ''If a Communicator uses BC without knowing the proper way, their mind will eventually break.''

♪ BGM: The Brave Decision

(Is... is this what it meant...!? Can powerful BC really break the target's mind!?)

As soon as he got that idea,

Natsuhiko stood up and rushed at the man.

Wha...!?

The man turned around and readied his gun. But just a second sooner-- Natsuhiko grabbed the man by the wrist.

Like hell I'm gonna let you!!
!?

The man's face stiffened. As Natsuhiko desperately grasped the man's wrist,

...Haaah...

he took a deep breath,

And focused with all his mind and soul.

----!!

It was the same as when he entered Mashiro's mind. Natsuhiko focused on his intent to expose the man's mind, not to know it, but to destroy it--!

That moment, Natsuhiko's vision tumbled into darkness.

(Now to destroy his mind and--!)

But what Natsuhiko saw terrified him.

(What... what the hell is this!?)

The inside of the man's mind was completely different from Mashiro's.

{Communicators aren't human. They're mind-corrupting monsters. This is a monster hunt...! Kill or be killed...! Kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill...}

The man's distorted thoughts were swirling with tremendous hatred and killing intent. The visions of the memories floating about were likewise warped, ruined, and teeming with malice. --The man's mind was devoted to hatred towards Communicators. Resentment, indignation, lament, murderous rage. All sorts of negative emotions. Natsuhiko even felt the man's unadulterated emotions that could be neither verbalized, nor visualized.

(Why is it all like this...!? No, more importantly... I need to destroy these memories!)

Natsuhiko glared at the fragments of the man's memories.

The moment he wished for their destruction, the visions burst and faded into the darkness--

♪ BGM: The Truth is Revealed

The man screamed.

!!

Natsuhiko snapped back to his senses. The man dropped his gun and gazed at Natsuhiko in dumbfounded terror.

Th-that was...!? My head, it can't be... not you too!!

The man babbled ambiguously as he stared fearfully at Natsuhiko. However-- Natsuhiko was already at the end of his rope.

(I can't... go on...! I can't... keep focusing...!)

He glared at the man and tried to use BC, but he couldn't use his abilities. If he got shot by the man again, it would certainly be the end of his life. However--

Aah... aah... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

The man turned around and ran like mad.

Natsuhiko tried to chase after him, but collapsed. The man's back faded into the distance.

(His mind... is abnormal...! Why would he hate Communicators so much...!?)

Natsuhiko couldn't believe it. What could drive someone to hate others so much?

(Someone like that is dangerous...! Someone like that can't be allowed to exist...!!)

But Natsuhiko could no longer move so much as a finger.

(Am I... going to die... here...!?)

Natsuhiko's consciousness faded. The feeling of death loomed over him. But at that moment-- Mashiro came to mind.

(... No! I can't die here... not now... If I leave that terrorist alive... he'll kill Mashiro...! So at the very least... At the very least, I need to stop that man!)

He wasn't dead just yet. He still had his sight, his hearing, his touch, his smell, his taste-- and his pain sensitivity. As long as he was alive, he'd keep going until that final flame died out--

(You!!)

Natsuhiko forced his body up. His hazy eyes caught sight of the man trying to leave the room.

You're not... You're not getting away!!

As he steeled his fading consciousness, Natsuhiko focused with all his mind.

And the moment that thought crossed his mind, countless visions twinkled in the darkness.

(This is all I can do now...! So please... work...)

Natsuhiko used the last of his BC to destroy the man's mind. To destroy his enemy's inexhaustible malice, he crammed in malice of his own that surpassed it. And that moment--

The man's scream echoed from somewhere. After a split second, the man's body collapsed. Natsuhiko could no longer see, only hear-- But he was convinced that he had destroyed the man's mind. As he heard the sound of the gate closing, Natsuhiko’s lips curled up in a faint smile.

(I... did it...! Now... he can't attack Mashiro... anymore...)

And with that conviction in his mind--

♪ BGM: Convergence

His body grew cold. His sight grew dark. It was as if all his senses diluted. As if he became a mere spirit floating in the air... He felt like a ripple in the water. Death was near.

(... But...)

But he was fine with that. As long as he was able to protect her. Natsuhiko's mind filled with warmth. And after that, suddenly-- Nothingness swooped down upon him. In his fading consciousness, Natsuhiko thought.

But that desire eventually disappeared as well.

(...)

(...)

(... Mashiro...)

--At the end of his vague thoughts, he thought faintly about the girl who was precious to him-- And then Natsuhiko's consciousness sank into the darkness.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

EPILOGUE: 09/16/2030, 08:16

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

----
--
--At that time. Somewhere in the basement floors of LABO--

...Did I lose too much blood...?

In her hand she grasped a single ampule of medication. She stuck it into her arm with wavering hands.

We lost radio contact with the Commander again...!
What about the Captain's team!?
Still can't get through to them either.

The woman gritted her teeth as she glared at the radio.

...Captain.

As she worried about her squadmates, the other girl furrowed her eyebrows.

*cough*! *cough*!! Ugh, drat... it... Like hell am I gonna die here!

She gave voice to her conviction and ran for her life.

In the darkness of a section everyone had forgotten-- Lay a lone girl.

???: ... Ugh...

She slowly got up. It was the girl who had been inside the boy's mind. The girl who had died here nine years ago--

She looked around and murmured in an empty voice.

... Hikorin...

But dissolved into the darkness instead.

And there we are, we've made it to the end of another route. Of course, we're not done here yet - we still have some bad ends and some friendship scenes to go back and get, but for now, the game presents us with our continuation:

And with that, we've unlocked Route Current, which we will be getting to after the conclusion of the rest of Route Before. Furthermore...

...this is the Album, which contains all the CGs and videos we've seen so far. And after beating Route Before, it also contains the preview for Route After, which we didn't get to see:

For reference, the ones talking in the preview videos are the following:

After: Watase
Before: Yuuri
Current: Natsuhiko

I'll be back with some bad ends and friendship scenes soon.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 28, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
drat, Natsuhiko! You straight-up Mind Crushed Watase! That's pretty badass! To celebrate the completion of Route Before:

Psychology Time with Junpei!

Today, we'll discuss Natsuhiko's Enneagram type.

The Enthusiast

Sevens are extroverted, optimistic, versatile, and spontaneous. Playful, high-spirited, and practical, they can also misapply their many talents, becoming over-extended, scattered, and undisciplined. They constantly seek new and exciting experiences, but can become distracted and exhausted by staying on the go. They typically have problems with impatience and impulsiveness.

At their Best: they focus their talents on worthwhile goals, becoming appreciative, joyous, and satisfied.
Basic Fear: Of being deprived and in pain
Basic Desire: To be satisfied and content—to have their needs fulfilled
Key Motivations: Want to maintain their freedom and happiness, to avoid missing out on worthwhile experiences, to keep themselves excited and occupied, to avoid and discharge pain.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Soooo from that description of Route Current, it's going to take place after Natushiko gets up, and end off with him standing over Watase like at the end of After? Which, I'm curious about, but I was hoping we'd soon be getting into what happens 'After After'.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This next route should've been called Crime and the one after Days. It should've been the only way.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

The man's distorted thoughts were swirling with tremendous hatred and killing intent. The visions of the memories floating about were likewise warped, ruined, and teeming with malice. --The man's mind was devoted to hatred towards Communicators. Resentment, indignation, lament, murderous rage. All sorts of negative emotions. Natsuhiko even felt the man's unadulterated emotions that could be neither verbalized, nor visualized.

Rage Virus confirmed

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

So one of the Secret Ghost Psychics erased Natsuhiko's memory of Yuuri dying, right?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Explosions posted:

So one of the Secret Ghost Psychics erased Natsuhiko's memory of Yuuri dying, right?

Not necessarily. While I'm leaning towards the idea that Yuuri was kidnapped from the hospital for whatever end, Natsuhiko can have a guilt based delusion without Yuuri being dead. Yuuri only 'really' started the whole mysterious thing when they reached LABO after all. What I want to know is, who was Elevator Girl? I mean, Natsuhiko remembers the cargo lift only goes up in emergencies, sends Mashiro up and smashes the panel to make sure Watase can't do something tricky. Then at some point the elevator comes back down and a girl gets shot on it. That's definitely off somehow.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OddHaberdasher posted:

Not necessarily. While I'm leaning towards the idea that Yuuri was kidnapped from the hospital for whatever end, Natsuhiko can have a guilt based delusion without Yuuri being dead. Yuuri only 'really' started the whole mysterious thing when they reached LABO after all. What I want to know is, who was Elevator Girl? I mean, Natsuhiko remembers the cargo lift only goes up in emergencies, sends Mashiro up and smashes the panel to make sure Watase can't do something tricky. Then at some point the elevator comes back down and a girl gets shot on it. That's definitely off somehow.

Well, the elevator didn't come back down from what we can tell. Elevator Girl died in the antechamber to the elevator, with the actual elevator still being closed and the panel being smashed.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I started a big long effortpost on what I believe is going on in LABO, and Subject N and all that jazz, but between the subject matter and my own sleep deprivation, it was starting to look like the manifesto of a hardcore conspiracy theorist :shepface: I can't tell if that's a good sign or not. I'll try again after I pass out for a while

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Danaru posted:

I started a big long effortpost on what I believe is going on in LABO, and Subject N and all that jazz, but between the subject matter and my own sleep deprivation, it was starting to look like the manifesto of a hardcore conspiracy theorist :shepface: I can't tell if that's a good sign or not. I'll try again after I pass out for a while

Sleep-deprived ramblings and ravings are the best ramblings and ravings. It's not like I'm expecting Unabomber levels of manifesto here, but I think this game gives enough material for a fairly respectable showing.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

TheMcD posted:

Well, the elevator didn't come back down from what we can tell. Elevator Girl died in the antechamber to the elevator, with the actual elevator still being closed and the panel being smashed.

Now that you say that, yeah. Though that still doesn't answer who she was.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

WHEN SHE SMILES

Now, before we get into the things we missed, let's check back into the album. I'll probably make some posts with all the CGs from there at some point, but for now, we'll just take a look at some things we didn't see that end up in here.

First, there's this page, which has some additional art.

And there's this page, which has the art that shows up on the Tips page for the Beyo*BEYO commentaries.

The last one I only unlocked during this second playthrough, but I might as well just put it here too. So that's what Beyo*BEYO looks like.

Now, let's get into a second playthrough.

There's not as much for us to collect this time around, since we don't have any branching paths and as many bad ends to collect, so I'm just blazing through the beginning parts with the skip on, but for some reason, in this part, we unlock one of the tips, even though the game skipped through the entirety of that segment, so there wasn't any new text there.

Tips posted:

TIP: BeyoBEYO/Episode 6 Commentary
Category: Fiction

''Yeti told me... that the human heart that feels is stronger than any power!!''

Psychic powers were once thought to be the all-powerful solution to everything. But once that power awoke within Kirara, she actually came to learn of its limits. Neither Kirara's psychic powers, nor the Nobody leader's darkloid telepathy could move the hearts of the people. An oft repeated theme of the series is that ''even if psychic powers are different, they are not necessarily meant to be feared''. And it is with a smile that Miko lends a hand to not ''Kirari'' but to Beyond Comni. The emotional understanding of the psychic girl and the non-psychic girl at the end always touches the hearts of viewers.

--Psychic Girl Beyond*BEYOND
Official Guidebook

Not sure where that came from.

Now, for one bad end, we make a save here, during BACK INTO PEACE. This will be the ''loving up our favor long term'' bad end. But for now, we have friendship scenes and more straightforward bad ends to get.

Our first new friendship scene comes during THROW AWAY YOUR BOOKS, RALLY IN THE STREETS, and it's for Salyu.

Please.
See, c'mon, you too, Natsuhiko!
Huh? Hold on, now...

Mashiro nearly dragged Natsuhiko and Salyu into the clothing store.

♪ BGM: Helper / Theme of Mashiro

We have a blue branch with Mashiro and Salyu here, and the walkthrough says to favor Salyu here, so that's what I'm doing.

Mashiro treated Salyu almost like a dress-up doll. Mashiro was excited. Salyu was confused. And from a short distance away, Natsuhiko watched.

Natsuhiko! Look at this! Isn't Salyu super cute?
Mmm...

(I don't know what she's thinking, and to be honest, she's a little eerie. But, well, she does have a beautiful face...)

Dressed in those tasteful clothes, she was truly like a doll. But Salyu herself muttered in extreme discomfort.

...Um, Mashiro.
Hmm?
This is the tenth outfit. Which one should we go with?
I really don't know... I wanna buy them all, but...
C'mon, Mashiro, you know that's not gonna happen.

And here's a blue branch with Salyu and Mashiro where we're supposed to favor Mashiro.

...I can't decide.
Then what about you, Natsuhiko?
Huh? Uh... let's see...

Natsuhiko was unfamiliar with fashion, but he still tried to think before answering.

You think so too?
Yeah, you've got good taste, Mashiro.

It was a clothing coordination with a youthful image that really seemed to match Salyu's short build. The clothes really suited Salyu's age and matched her aura to a T.

Okay, then let's go with that outfit!

Mashiro seemed extremely happy, but Salyu sighed as she spoke.

...I'm tired.
But all things considered, you do seem pretty happy, you know?
Th-that's not true.
You sure~? You're blushing.

Salyu said nothing, but--

That's when Natsuhiko saw something most curious: A smile upon Salyu's supple lips. With a smile on her face and cute clothes wrapped around her body, she looked like the epitome of a pure, innocent girl.

(What's with that? Never expected that reaction...)

In any case, it appeared that Mashiro's efforts were worth it after all. Lost in thought, Natsuhiko found a faint smile forming on his own lips. --And after taking care of the bill, he left the store with the two girls.

And after that, the game continues into ARMS, where we have a bad end lurking. So that'll be what we'll see next.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Apparently I forgot where that part comes from.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cyouni posted:

Apparently I forgot where that part comes from.

The great thing is that it's the only one that doesn't refer to Mashiro and her current situation, so we could kind of work out where it comes from.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

WHY CAN'T YOU TRUST OTHERS: 09/16/2030, 06:49

So during ARMS, we had this red branch show up. We made it past it just fine, but what if Natsuhiko decided he still wasn't trusting Salyu?

Natsuhiko felt like he finally understood a lot of things.

...I guess you've got it tough too, huh Salyu.
No, it's not particularly difficult. Your concern is unnecessary.
Ah, I see...

--But perhaps she really didn't have that innocent charm after all.

(Well, I guess that's just how she is.)

Mashiro smirked as Natsuhiko reached that conclusion.

Now then, looks like we've cleared up all those misunderstandings. So now we can begin our friendship anew, right?
Friendship, huh...?
What, you got a problem with that?
No, not really.

If only it were that simple to form friendships.

Well... now that we've settled all those things that've been bugging me, I guess we should start heading home.
Ah, sure.

The three of them left the shopping center together.

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

After everyone had eaten-- It was time for Mashiro to go back home.

Yeah, see you tomorrow.
Mm.
Later, Mashiron~

Mashiro left the house with those voices at her back.

Now then, I have a routine to do, so I'm going back to my room.
Yeah, go ahead.

Following Mashiro's departure, Salyu also left the living room for her own room. Leaving only Natsuhiko and Yuuri behind.

Whew... I'm kinda worn out.

Yuuri smiled uncomfortably as Natsuhiko sighed.

Worn out, why? Is it because of Salyu...?
Yeah, I guess it's kinda tiring to do things with people you're uncomfortable talking with.
...I see. But since you're both living under the same roof, I think it'd be good for you to get along...
I know, but honestly, I don't think I can.

As Natsuhiko said this, Yuuri--

...Is that your answer at the present point in time, Hikorin?

Yuuri spoke with an oddly quiet tone of voice.

Huh?

When Natsuhiko looked back at Yuuri in shock, he found her staring back at him with a serious look on her face.

My answer at the present point in time...?
After spending all day with Salyu today, did you still think you won't be able to get along with her?
Well... I guess that sounds about right.
And you don't think that'll ever change?
Mm, well... I don't know about the future, but... I get the strong impression that we'll never see eye to eye, I guess...

At Natsuhiko's words, Yuuri-- gave a pitifully sad expression.

...Can nothing change your mind? Is there nothing that can make you accept Salyu...?

Her expression and tone of voice were different from the usual Yuuri. Confused, Natsuhiko asked for clarification.

...What are you talking about, Yuuri?
...You don't know? She's trying to protect you, Hikorin... She's even fighting on your behalf right now.

The moment Yuuri said that--

The sight of ''September 12'' warped before Natsuhiko's eyes, and changed to the sight of ''September 16''.

♪ BGM: Abyss

Natsuhiko came to his senses.

(Where am I!?)

Right before his eyes were two rescue squad members collapsed on the floor.

(C-calm down...! This is no time to space out! Why would Salyu kick down some rescue squad members!?)

Natsuhiko was horribly confused. And as he thought about the current situation, the conclusion he arrived at was--

(N-no way...! Salyu betrayed us!?)

Natsuhiko's heart swelled with doubt. There wasn't even a hint at all these last few days that she'd do such a thing.

(B-but... there's no other possibility, is there...!?)

The answer Natsuhiko arrived at only confused him all the more. But he knew what had to be done.

Y-Yuuri, Mashiro... let's get away from here!
Huh!?
Hikorin, what's wrong!?
I'll explain later, just run for now!

Natsuhiko grabbed Yuuri and Mashiro by the hand and ran.

Hold on, Natsuhiko! Why are we running away!?
And why did you leave that girl behind--
What else could I have done!? She attacked a rescue squad, for God's sake! She has to be bad news!
Wh... what do you mean by that!?
Salyu was just -pretending- to be on our side, wasn't she!? How else could you explain what just happened!?
You've got to be kidding... Is that how you saw Salyu all this time!?

Mashiro shouted as she pressed Natsuhiko.

There's no way she was pretending! Salyu's always been persevering for our sake, you know! Remember the second time we went to the PRC!? And the time we were chased into the abandoned factory!? How dare you doubt Salyu when she's been fighting for us all this time!?
Well, sure, she may have done all that, but that could've all been a cover-up for all we--
Natsuhiko! Cut it out! Are you going to doubt someone again!? Like when you doubted me!? I hate you when you get like that, Natsuhiko! Just believe in Salyu, for crying out loud!

Tears welled up in Mashiro's eyes. When Natsuhiko looked away on reflex, his eyes happened to meet with Yuuri's.

Wh-what's no good?
You don't know? I told you that night, didn't I...?

Yuuri quietly looked at Natsuhiko's watch.

(!?)

He could've sworn the watch had been broken, but before he realized it, its hands had begun to move once more. But that wasn't the only thing odd about it.

That was the day they went out into the city with Salyu.

Wha... h-how...!?

Yuuri said something else without answering Natsuhiko's question.

Hikorin, you really do want to believe in Salyu, don't you...? That's why, on that night too, I--

But before she could finish her sentence,

!!

The dark figure held something in its hand... and pointed it right at Natsuhiko--

!!

The left side of his chest was hit by an intense impact. An impact that seemed to only get stronger.

Yuuri and Mashiro's faces stiffened.

N-Natsuhiko, you...!

Mashiro pointed at Natsuhiko's chest.

...?

He fearfully looked down at it-- To find a hole torn into his uniform, surrounded by a deep red stain.

(I... I got shot!?)

The moment he realized that, it was too late. Strength rapidly left his body, and Natsuhiko collapsed on the spot.

--Natsuhiko!
Hikorin!

Mashiro and Yuuri snapped to their senses and ran over to him.

I-I'm...

But the blood pooling at the back of his throat prevented him from forming the words.

Ah, ah, ahhhh...! Natsuhiko...!

Mashiro broke into tears. And on the other side of the hallway, the dark figure approached.

R-run away... Run away you two...!

He struggled to wring those words out. But the dark figure aimed the gun at them-- and pulled the trigger.

Mashiro voicelessly fell onto Natsuhiko.

Another gunshot. This time, Yuuri's face jerked back and she fell onto the floor. And finally--

His mind turned red--

... ...

----
--

------
----
--Eventually, in the deep depths of his fading consciousness-- ''Awake'', a voice called to him. Or perhaps it was merely a memory of such a voice. The moment he heard that voice... Time returned to that day once more.

And with that, we return to the beginning of September 12th. Terrorist Watase does not gently caress around.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to Current, if it's going to give up some kind of answer as to what the gently caress is up with the brain reactor or whatever.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

STORY OF THE STARRY SKY

Our next friendship scene is for Salyu, and it takes place during PROPHECY. Mashiro just ran out of the Tenkawa household in a huff, and Natsuhiko is left standing outside going ''what just happened'', when...

The stars were spread out far apart, and never seemed to overlap. Much in the same way that human hearts never do. The distance between them all was hopelessly far.

(... Even if we've known each other for years, there are still several things we don't understand about each other, huh...)

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

Before he had noticed her, Salyu was standing right behind him. Natsuhiko recalled how this had happened before as he spoke.

H-how long have you been there, Salyu?
Just got here. I heard a commotion.
...You heard that?
No, I didn't hear the details. But...

Salyu paused for a moment before continuing.

...It was an extremely worrying situation.
Huh?
Alice gave me a reaction I had never heard before once she analyzed Mashiro's voice. The emotions she read from Mashiro included anger, dejection, and sadness.
I-it can understand that much?
Probably. Although I personally cannot judge the accuracy of the analysis.
You personally can't...?

Salyu said something somewhat incomprehensible.

But at the very least, that is what Alice's analysis stated. That was the first time Mashiro's voice contained such complex emotion. Did something happen?
No...

Natsuhiko was at a loss for an explanation. After all, not even he quite understood what Mashiro was feeling.

...It's nothing. Ah, well, we just kinda...
Kinda...?
...We kinda had a little fight.
A fight? Why?
Beats me. But, if you could avoid it, I'd like to ask you not to pry into it too much. It's not good to poke your nose into others' fights.
Is that how it works?
That's how it works.
...I see.

Alice then let out a frail voice.

Alice: Kyuu...

Salyu's expression stiffened. She stared hard at Natsuhiko.

... What?
Well... According to Alice's analysis, you're perplexed?
Huh? W-well, yeah, I guess.
Because of Mashiro? Or because of me?
Huh... well, both of you, I guess.

Salyu glared at Natsuhiko discontentedly. But still she didn't head back inside. An awkward silence wound between them.

(Wh-what...? What's Salyu trying to do here?)

He wanted her to just leave him alone, but he dared not say it. He'd feel a little awkward to rub Salyu the wrong way right after having a fight with Mashiro.

(... Is there anything we can talk about...?)

And then he suddenly remembered. A similar situation happened before. So in order to distract them from the awkward situation, Natsuhiko tried to ask about that certain topic.

Um... Salyu?
What?
Now that I think about it, the day before yesterday, we had an odd conversation like this in front of the entrance too, didn't we?
An odd conversation...?
You asked me things like if I liked the stars, or what the meaning behind my name was.
Mm, I did indeed.
What kind of questions were those?

Salyu answered with a look on her face that said it should've been obvious.

I was trying to introduce myself.
Huh? Introduce yourself? That... was a self-introduction?
Yes. I had just moved in, so I was trying to convey what sort of temperament I had.
W-was that it? But it didn't seem like a self-introduction at all to me...
That's because you completely shut me down.
Wait, so you mean when you asked if -I- liked stars, you meant...?
Yes. I meant that -I- liked stars. So I was trying to start a conversation about stars, but when you said you didn't like them or hate them, I lost the motivation to talk.
I-I'm sorry about that...

Natsuhiko ended up apologizing on impulse. And then after regathering his thoughts, he continued.

Then what was that about asking the meaning behind my name?
That was-- just because I noticed something.
You noticed something?
All of your names have something in common. Though it just might be a forced interpretation on my part.

Salyu pointed at the night sky as she spoke.

Hmm? Yeah. It's that thing where Orihime and Hikoboshi are separated by the Heavenly River, the Milky Way, and can only meet that one night each year...
Yes. First off, that 'Hikoboshi', or 'Altair'. Natsuhiko Tenkawa. Tenkawa means 'heaven river' like the Heavenly River that 'Hiko'boshi, a summer star, lies beside. That's probably not a coincidence.
Ah...

Natsuhiko actually hadn't noticed that before.

Wait, could that be the meaning behind my name then...?
Probably.

Now that he thought about it, Yuuri mentioned something similar long ago in the past. Back then, Yuuri had said: ''Hikoboshi is your star, isn't it, Natsuhiko? Your names do sound the same.''

I see... but how does that match everyone else?
Mm, next is 'Orihime'. In western astrology, Orihime is called 'Vega', part of the constellation Lyra. Lyra is a harp, much like a koto. Koto. Kotono. So it's Yuuri's star.
I see, so that's where you're going.

As Salyu had admitted before, it was a little forced, but it certainly did seem to match.

Then what about Mashiro? Does Mashiro fit in somewhere?
On the night of Tanabata, it's said that a flock of birds form a bridge over the Heavenly River with their wings. Toba means 'bird wing', so Mashiro 'Toba' completes the set. So basically, all of your names relate to the legend of Tanabata.
Whoa~! I never even noticed.

That was something that neither Natsuhiko, Yuuri, nor Mashiro had ever noticed before. And it was something that Natsuhiko had never expected that Salyu, having been born in France, would point out.

Salyu ever so slightly puffed out her chest in pride and replied.

I know lots of things, but I've always liked stars in particular.
Oh, and what about you, Salyu? I do remember you mentioning the word 'Sairuiu' or 'tear rain' before, though...
Mm, that part might be the most forced, but-- If it rains on Tanabata, it's called 'Sairuiu', which is said to be the tears shed by Orihime and Hikoboshi.
Hahah, then I guess all four of us have Tanabata names then, huh?

So, remember that message back in the chapter Message in Route After? ''From the tear rain to Altair and the bridge of bird wings''. So from Salyu to Natsuhiko and Mashiro. And the question asked was ''Was Sirius able to escape from his cage on that night of the full moon?''. This seems to be referring back to the Sirius Escape Plan, when young Natsuhiko and Mashiro hatched a plan to save their dog, Sirius, from being put down. Sirius was able to escape from his cage, but I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to make of that answer, because it seems to be supposed to be some sort of code that I'm still not figuring out.

Yes.

Salyu suddenly sank into silence. She then steeled herself and spoke up.

--Um, Natsuhiko.
Hmm?
Was what I said interesting?
Huh? What's this all of a sudden?
I just want to make sure.
Y-yeah. It was interesting. Informative, too...
I see. Good.

Then finally, Salyu smiled ever so slightly.

...In that case, I have to do my daily routine, so I'll be heading back to my room.
Hmm? Abrupt as ever, huh.
You told me I shouldn't pry into other peoples' fights, so I won't say anything more than this. But you guys are friends who have matching names. I think it's best you get along.
Huh?
As for me... I'd be happier if you and Mashiro did get along.

And with that, Salyu quickly went back inside. Natsuhiko just stood by himself outside, staring at the door in astonishment.

(Wh... what just happened...? No way... no way...! Did Salyu just console me!?)

It was hard to believe it since it happened out of nowhere, but he couldn't think of any other possibility.

...Is Salyu... Actually a good kid after all?

Natsuhiko whispered with a wry smile. But although Salyu may have said all that-- Natsuhiko still didn't quite understand the reason Mashiro was so mad.

(I know you told me to get along with her... but how?)

Natsuhiko mulled over that thought as he went back inside.

And with that, we head back into PROPHECY with Natsuhiko having a talk with Yuuri. And not soon after that, we'll be running into our next bad end opportunity.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I DIDN'T WANT TO DO THIS: 09/16/2030, 06:59

Now, during MEMORIES AND REALITY, we have this red branch. What if we didn't decide on protecting Mashiro being that much of a priority?

(... Yuuri stopped my time...?)
...I'm sure Mashiron still blames herself too harshly for it. And that very same Mashiron is putting herself in great danger, yet you're still going to disregard her, Hikorin? You need to worry about Mashiron in the same way you worry about me.
But... I am worrying about her in my own way.
...Liar.
I'm not lying. I do worry about her, just...

--just not at the same level as he does Yuuri. It wasn't a question of if he liked Mashiro or hated her. It was just that Yuuri needed Natsuhiko while Mashiro was a strong girl who could most likely fend for herself without him. And besides--

She's the one putting herself in danger. It's not like I'm her keeper or anything.
...What's with the silent treatment? Am I wrong?
...You are.

Yuuri glared at him.

If we were in peace, that would be fine. But those peaceful days have long since ended.
...Huh?
Hikorin. Focus and think once more. If you don't worry about Mashiron now... Things will surely take a turn for the worse...!

The moment Yuuri said such,

Natsuhiko's consciousness tore away from his ''recollection'' of September 13-- --and returned to the ''reality'' of September 16.

♪ BGM: Abyss

They had gotten separated from Salyu and were searching for an escape route.

(...!)

Natsuhiko's heart filled with regret. The regret of leaving Salyu in the den of the enemy.

(Dammit... I can't do it! I really can't leave Salyu all by herself!)

And with that resolution, Natsuhiko spoke to Yuuri and Mashiro.

Y-you two... just wait right here for a second!
Huh? Wh-why!?
I'm going back to Salyu for a bit to back her up!
W...wait a second, Hikorin! That's not what it is you need to do, remember!?

Yuuri flared up at Natsuhiko's words.

What did that girl say to you? She said that your duty is to make sure Mashiron escapes, didn't she!?

Yuuri rarely ever yelled like that.

Besides, she said we'd just be a hindrance to her, didn't she!? We need to follow what Salyu said and search for an exit route!

Natsuhiko shook his head at Mashiro's words.

I know what Salyu said, but... I'm still worried about her.
B-but...
I'm sorry, but please, stay here! I'll be back right away!

Natsuhiko ran off at that.

Hikorin!? Hold on, Hikorin!

Natsuhiko paid no heed as Yuuri tried to stop him--

Back to where they had split up with Salyu.

H-huh?

The place was already empty.

Where did Salyu... where did the enemy go!?

Natsuhiko looked around. But there was no one in sight. Instead... He saw something strange fallen over at the edge of the hallway.

Hmm...?

A strange cylindrical object with some sort of digital clock attached.

(Wait, don't tell me that's--) A time bomb!?

As soon as Natsuhiko yelled that word, a flash of light shined before his eyes.

!!!

Gah!

He tumbled to the floor and eventually stopped.

He seemed to have hit his head hard. His consciousness clouded over. His clothes were burning, perhaps due to the blast. But even when he tried to put out the flames, his body wouldn't move.

(I-Is this... the end for me...?)

He looked down at his body to check his injuries. His arm was soaked in blood. Even his broken watch was dyed red. Although the watch hands were thoroughly crushed, he could still clearly make out the date indicator.

(... Huh... Was today September 13th...?)

Something felt off, but his head was too numb for him to think properly. And then he heard a voice off somewhere in the distance.

It was Yuuri's voice.

(D-did she come looking for me...?)

Natsuhiko tried to lift his face. But he couldn't even do that. All he could do was listen to Yuuri's hurried footsteps. Her sorrowful voice rang out in his ears.

I'm sorry...! I'm so sorry, Hikorin...!

Yuuri seemed to be crying.

(What does she have to apologize for...?)

Yuuri answered Natsuhiko's doubts.

It's my fault for putting you through this...!
(Huh...? It's not your fault, is it, Yuuri...? I just ran off on my own, that's all...)
But it's my fault...
(...?)
There was something I wanted you to understand, no matter what... Or else... something even worse will definitely happen to you, Hikorin...!

Natsuhiko didn't understand what Yuuri was saying at all.

(... Something you wanted me to understand? What...?)
That your duty... is to 'protect Mashiron'. That's for you own good too, Hikorin--...

...And he could hear nothing else after that. In the silent world, all he could hear was the sound of his own heartbeat. And even that soon faded away-- His only companion was utter silence.

----
--

------
----
--Eventually, in the deep depths of his fading consciousness-- ''Awake'' a voice called to him. Or perhaps it was merely a memory of such a voice. The moment he heard that voice... Time returned to that day once more.

And so we return to the beginning of September 13th.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

So, remember that message back in the chapter Message in Route After? ''From the tear rain to Altair and the bridge of bird wings''. So from Salyu to Natsuhiko and Mashiro. And the question asked was ''Was Sirius able to escape from his cage on that night of the full moon?''. This seems to be referring back to the Sirius Escape Plan, when young Natsuhiko and Mashiro hatched a plan to save their dog, Sirius, from being put down. Sirius was able to escape from his cage, but I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to make of that answer, because it seems to be supposed to be some sort of code that I'm still not figuring out.

The idea's just a double-layered security message so that Salyu can be certain it's them. She knows that Team Terrorist is around, so to prevent them from leaving some fake message and ambushing her, she's included a question only Mashiro and Natsuhiko know the answer to.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

TAKE HER HAND

Our next friendship scene on the list is one for Yuuri. During MYSELF;YOURSELF, Natsuhiko is hesitant to leave Yuuri behind alone as the gang plans to sneak out of the house to elude the security department, and he remembers something...

If they left the house just once, the security department could catch them easily, and who knows when they'd be able to return.

(But is it really okay...!? Is it okay to leave Yuuri here alone...?)

He'd promised to himself that he'd keep watching over her. He had thought that way ever since the accident nine years ago-- No, even before that.

(If only I could go back to that time...)

And with that thought, Natsuhiko's mind recalled the events of ten years ago.

Natsuhiko worried about Yuuri and went to the park every day to see her. But three days passed with no sign of her... So on the fourth day, he made up his mind and headed to her house once more.

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

With a horribly sad look on her face.

Yuuri.

Her face shined like the sun as soon as she heard his voice.

Ah, Natsuhiko. Did you come to play?
Y-yeah. You weren't coming to the park, so I got worried...
I see. I'm so happy. I wanted to play with you too.
You should've just come to the park then.
But I can't. I'm not 'sposed to. Mom and Dad say I can't play with the other kids in town...
...!

Now that she had mentioned it, he remembered that her parents had called Communicators disgusting. Even though their own daughter was a Communicator herself.

I see... so let's play in secret, then. Should we play at your place? Or my place?
We can't at my place. Mom and Dad are there.

--And then Natsuhiko heard that angry voice roar from the house again.

Mr. Kotono: Hey, do something with that brat by the door! She's such a drat annoying pest!
Mrs. Kotono: All your goddamn selfishness does is drive her away! If you don't even want to bother raising her, then shut yer drat trap!

Natsuhiko felt he had never heard such abusive language in his life. Yuuri's expression grew darker and darker. Unable to stand any more of it, Natsuhiko spoke up to her.

...Okay, Yuuri. Let's go to the park right now.
Huh?
It doesn't have to be the park. Just anywhere away from here.
But if I go off and play on my own, then Dad might get mad at me...
Forget about your dad. You don't want to play with me, Yuuri?
...Of course I do.
Then let's go! C'mon!

Natsuhiko pulled Yuuri by the hand. He wanted to take Yuuri as far away from there as soon as possible. Yuuri hesitated for a second, but--

Ah... ...Okay.

She nodded ever so slightly and followed Natsuhiko.

He thought that if even Mashiro were there, they could have a fun playtime, but--

There's nobody here...
Y-yeah, you're right.

--unfortunately, nobody was around that day. Perhaps everyone was at the ''secret base'' in the outskirts of town.

...Well, fine. Let's just play by ourselves. What should we play?
We don't have any books with us today... so how about we just take a walk or something?
Huh? S-sure. If that's okay with you, Yuuri...

The two of them took an aimless stroll around the park.

...You having fun?
I am. Because I'm with you after all, Natsuhiko.
Well, as long as you are... I'm sure we'd be able to play more fun things if my other friends were around, though.
Other friends?
Hmm, let's see... if it had to be a girl, then... Oh right. There's this girl called Mashiro. She's super energetic and super loud, too. I'm sure you two would get along quickly if you met.
Mashiro, huh? Do you think she'd bother being friends with someone like me?
It'd be fine. She's dumb, but the one good thing about her is that she easily makes friends with anyone. Come to think of it, there was this one time when she...

Natsuhiko was determined to just keep on talking. He wanted Yuuri to forget about the time and her troubles at home as much as possible. But no matter how hard he tried-- Natsuhiko could not keep the sun from setting.

Yuuri sighed as she looked at the setting sun. Her smile had already faded away.

I have to go back home.
...You do?
Yeah. If I'm out too late, then Dad gets mad at me...
Bye bye, Natsuhiko. Let's play again, okay?

And with that farewell, Yuuri slowly walked away. She shrank as if in a silent cry for help--

...Wait, Yuuri!

Without thinking, Natsuhiko raised his voice.

Huh...?
Yuuri, you don't want to go home, do you?
Th-that's not true... I'm sure Mom and Dad are worried about me...
I'm not asking about your Mom and Dad. I want to know what you really want.
But, it's... it's not like I can just run away from home...
So I, well... I -do- want to go home...!
That's a lie! There's no way you'd want to go back to a home like that!
!?

Yuuri's face cramped. Natsuhiko's heart hurt-- but he felt like he would regret it if he let her go home then and there.

...Yuuri, please. Tell me how you really feel. Do you really want to go back to a home filled with shouting all the time?
...*sniff*

Finally the dam broke and Yuuri's tears came pouring out.

I don't want to go back! I want to stay with you, Natsuhiko!

She fell into Natsuhiko's chest and cried out for help.

I hate how Mom never listens to me no matter what I say! I hate how Dad says I'm a pest no matter where I go! I hate how Mom and Dad never tell me what I've done that's so wrong! I try not to get in the way! I try to be a good girl! I try my bestest not to make them mad! *sniff*... *sob*... waaaaahhh! Help me, Natsuhiko! Help me!

Yuuri's sobs echoed through the twilit park. Her spilling tears soaked Natsuhiko's chest. As he watched her scream and shout, Natsuhiko remembered something.

(Ahh, that's right...)

The first day they met in this park, Yuuri had been crying too. She was so quiet, yet so sad. He wanted to put an end to those tears. And what he had felt back then hadn't changed since.

...In that case.
Huh...?
If you don't want to go home... then let's go somewhere, just the two of us.

Natsuhiko gripped Yuuri's hand.

Yuuri said nothing. Her face was soaked with tears. He couldn't tell what she was thinking. But even so-- Yuuri gripped Natsuhiko's hand back. --He could feel her warmth through the softness of her palm. As Natsuhiko felt that warmth, he thought to himself. He swore that no matter what happened, he'd protect her for sure--

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

HIDDEN FEELINGS

During TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF, we get this yellow branch that lets us into Salyu's next friendship scene.

Mom said that, huh...

It was hard to believe that so suddenly, but Salyu didn't seem to be lying at all.

So that's why you suddenly transferred in at such an odd time...

I was a little, no, quite afraid of leaving the house. So at first, I never felt the desire to know the outside world. But even so... as I came to this town, I finally came to realize something: Deep down, I really did want to go outside after all.
...I see.

Natsuhiko remembered another girl who was waiting at home and could not leave. Salyu spoke in a depressed tone.

...That said, I'm still afraid. Contact with other people is always accompanied by fear. Honestly speaking-- I was afraid of both you and Mashiro.
Huh...?
I'm sorry if you find that discomforting.
N-no, not at all. ...You did well to speak up about it. I'm actually glad you did.
It helps a lot to hear that.

Salyu sighed slightly. She appeared to be genuinely relieved. Natsuhiko quickly tried to change the topic.

I-if there's anything you want to say to me, feel free to just say it, okay?
Okay... actually, I was particularly scared of you.
Huh!?
Back when we first met, you were so cold to me. I thought I had done something bad, but I didn't understand what and that made me sad. Our conversations often didn't mesh, and there were several times where I felt uneasy.
I-I'm... I'm so sorry about that!
No, it's okay. You gradually grew kinder to me. It made me quite happy. And little by little, my fear of you faded away and being with you became a happy thing. So I decided to try my best to come in contact with other people, no matter how scary it may seem.
...!

Natsuhiko looked Salyu in the face long and hard. Her every earnest word touched his heart.

Salyu, that's so... so admirable of you...!
No, I didn't come to that way of thinking by myself. What you told me this afternoon gave me the boost I needed.
Huh?
You said 'you don't have to understand what's on other people's minds'. It was really comforting to hear that.
...Yeah. It was a little comforting for me to say it too.
You're like me?
Yeah, just like you.

She smiled slightly at that statement.

...So many things really have happened since I came to this city. So many things I could never learn at home.
It's an honor to be a part of your learning experience.
Mmm... but there was one slightly sinful influence in this experience.
A sinful influence?
Yes. Spending time with all of you has given me a taste of the forbidden fruit of fun.

Salyu cast her head down in shame. A faint shadow cast over her stiff expression.

...When I was at home, I only spoke the bare minimum with my parents and tutors. So never in my life had I experienced either fear or fun. But now that I've come to this town, I look back to my past... and find nothing that qualifies as a nostalgic memory. I wouldn't say I'd have been better off not knowing... but still, it makes me a little sad nonetheless.

Salyu's expression indeed looked sad-- And so Natsuhiko spoke up without thinking.

What are you talking about, Salyu?
Huh?
If you don't have any nostalgic memories, then why don't we make up for all that lost time by making heaps of them now? I'm sure Mashiro and Yuuri would be glad to... I mean, I know I would. You've made so many friends, don't you see? So there's nothing you need to worry about.

Salyu looked up and made direct eye contact with Natsuhiko.

...Natsuhiko, you're kind of an optimist.
W-what's wrong with that? That's just part of my nature, I guess.
I think so too, but... That might be why your words often relieve me of my worries. I'll say it again. Thank you, Natsuhiko.

Salyu smiled sweetly.

!

Natsuhiko was shocked. It was the first time he had seen Salyu truly smile like that. It was so unexpectedly cute-- or rather, it was -exactly- as cute as he had expected--

Ah, um, well... it was nothing, I guess...!

As Natsuhiko stammered, Alice let out a voice he hadn't heard before.

Alice: Kyukyuuu~...!
!?

Salyu's face stiffened that very moment.

Huh...?

She looked as if she could not believe what she had heard from Alice.

Wh-what's wrong?
Mmm... nothing...

Salyu looked at Natsuhiko, her face beet red.

...Natsuhiko, what were you thinking just now?
Huh... n-nothing really...

...Honest.

Silence filled the room. But it wasn't an uncomfortable silence at all--

(But if the silence keeps going, it's gonna get awkward real quick...!)

The flustered Natsuhiko quickly tried to change the subject.

A-anyway! You're glad you came to this town, right?
Huh? I... I guess.

Salyu looked as if she were caught off-guard for a second. But then she took a deep breath and returned to her usual poker face.

I certainly don't regret coming here. Nor do I regret enrolling in Rokumei Academy or living in the Tenkawa household.
I see... but about that, why did you start living at our place?

And with that, we go back into TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF with Salyu talking about her having no other place to live.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

These are sadly way more dull than the scenes in After. We're kind of retreading the same ground instead of learning bombshells like "Watase and Kazami were an item"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
After several weeks and dozens of updates I've finally caught up. I gotta say, TheMcD, you work fast.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

These are sadly way more dull than the scenes in After. We're kind of retreading the same ground instead of learning bombshells like "Watase and Kazami were an item"

They're kind of dull, but I still like them - they feel a lot more like "friendship" scenes, the ones with Salyu in particular. But honestly, it's probably just that I'm just too easy to please, so I just like everything.

Mraagvpeine posted:

After several weeks and dozens of updates I've finally caught up. I gotta say, TheMcD, you work fast.

The :justpost: urge is too strong. I just can't build up a backlog, so whatever I make, gets posted pretty much right away. And thanks to the OCR, things get made fast.

It's a good thing, too - Amazon is saying that Danganronpa V3 will be releasing on September 29th over here, which would give me pretty much a year to finish this entire LP, and looking at my pace (looking to be done with Route Before, and therefore 50% of the game, before February ends), I think I can make that work! Onwards!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Looking back, I'm glad we got After before Before. I can't imagine it having the same "what the gently caress is going on here?" vibe when you already know the deal with BC/the terrorists/the kids.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Looking back, I'm glad we got After before Before. I can't imagine it having the same "what the gently caress is going on here?" vibe when you already know the deal with BC/the terrorists/the kids.

Yeah, you can answer a lot of the stuff in After a lot better. The main things you get from Before -> After are wondering what's up with Yuuri and getting Watase killed in incredibly comical ways.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

WORLD'S END

Our next friendship scene also comes during TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF - Natsuhiko is talking with Yuuri on the phone, and when mentioning camping out with Mashiro and Salyu, he remembers something...

That was a lie. A small diversion in the off chance that the phone actually was tapped.

Camping? Out in the park? Will the girls be okay?
Well, Mashiro's a pretty hardy fellow, you know. And despite her looks, Salyu's actually quite a wild girl.
Huh~?
What? I'm saying you don't need to worry. It should be fine to sleep outside at night every now and then.
Mmm, maybe you're right...

Yuuri suddenly whispered in a quiet voice.

...This sure brings me back, Hikorin. Something like this happened a long time ago too, didn't it?
Huh?
Remember? That time we ran away from home.

Yuuri's question jogged Natsuhiko's memory. The conclusion to their running away from home experience--

...Yeah. I remember.

Natsuhiko felt the visions of a day long past rise up once more from the bottom of his heart.

After he had said that in the park-- Natsuhiko took Yuuri by the hand and first headed back to the Tenkawa household.

Normally, it made him lonely, but that day it was actually more convenient for her to be absent.

(I'm sure Mom would get mad at me if she found out...)

And if that happened, she'd probably send Yuuri home right off the bat. Natsuhiko couldn't ask any adults for help. Not even his own mother. He had to be the one to protect Yuuri.

Okay. Let's prepare, Yuuri.
Prepare... what exactly?
I've got a backpack, so let's put everything we need inside. First, we obviously need food. No questions there.
Yeah. Or we'll get hungry.

The kids fished around the kitchen. They looked for foods that didn't need to be cooked, particularly on the snacks shelf.

Hey, Natsuhiko? You think we should bring these too?
What's that...? Wait, that's instant ramen, isn't it? No, no, no. We might have to go somewhere without a kitchen, you know?
We just need to make a fire in that case. So we're taking them! No buts!
H-hey now...
Ah! If we need to make a fire, we should bring a lighter then, right?

Yuuri gleefully picked out the things for them to bring. Her mood had shifted so suddenly. She was enjoying herself now.

...Well, fine.

Deep down, Natsuhiko was excited too. It was a brand new adventure. A journey of justice to protect Yuuri. An illusion of a new future. The kids were exhilarated. --A short while later, the backpack was stuffed to the brim. Natsuhiko put on his precious watch, and they were ready to disembark.

All right... Let's go, Yuuri!
Yeah!

Natsuhiko took Yuuri by the arm and left the house.

Anywhere's fine. Anywhere far away from that house, at least...
Okay, then let's head to the secret base.
Secret base?
It's in the outskirts of town. We found it the other day when we went exploring.
Let's go there then. I'll follow you, Natsuhiko.
Okay! Full speed ahead!
Yeah!

With an enthusiastic cheer, the kids walked in the opposite direction from Yuuri's house--

It was the end of May, and yet the night air was surprisingly chilly. Each time the wind blew, their body heat gradually sapped away. But that was only a trivial matter to them. They advanced down their path feeling like they were the only people on Earth. Eventually, they reached a discolored building. It was a ruined factory that was no longer in use.

Yeah, we made it our own by bringing lots of different stuff into it! Let's get inside already. Hold my hand so you don't get lost.
Y-yeah...

Natsuhiko moved briskly in the darkness. He had played there countless times, so he already had a complete understanding of what was where.

Let's see, if I remember correctly~...

Natsuhiko reached out in the darkness. And a moment later--

Wow...

A soft light filled the room. Natsuhiko had lit an oil lamp with the lighter.

This is a lamp I brought from home. As long as we have this, we'll be fine, even at night!
Wow, I never knew there was a place like this...

Yuuri looked around with a twinkle in her eye. A variety of objects of all shapes and sizes adorned the ruined factory. From furniture like an old sofa or cupboard, to outdoor items like a charcoal stove or a parasol. Time killers like manga and toys, as well as items of questionable usefulness like a wrench, a millstone, and a pair of nunchaku.

I know. Cool, right? Not just me, but everyone brought all kinds of things. Stuff they'd find or bring from home.

Yuuri smiled out of honest enjoyment. Natsuhiko felt happy too and pointed to the sofa.

Well, let's take a seat. We've walked a lot, so you must be hungry, right?

The kids sat down next to each other and took the snacks out of the backpack. They ate the sweet biscuits as they talked.

We've got blankets and sleeping bags. We're all set to stay the night.

Of course! Mashiro and the others have been making this place a stronghold lately. I'm sure they'll be able to help out in a lot of ways. We'll have nothing to worry about. Every day's gonna be fun.
Heehee. I can't wait...

Yuuri smiled as she gazed at the lamp. The light cast a shadow on her face.

...Actually, I've never had a single fun memory until I came to this town.
Huh...? Really?
Yeah... I am a Communicator after all, you know?
Yeah, but so what...?
Before I started school, I took a 'gene attic' test and found out I had Rank C 'Attitude'... And then Mom and Dad started to treat me like a pest. Well, they got mad a lot before that, though. I never did anything fun after that. Every day was a sad day. So I tried my bestest to practice BC. I thought that if I could read minds, I could learn why Mom and Dad hate me so much... ...But it didn't work. The harder I tried, the more Mom and Dad treated me like a pest.

Yuuri's voice was deathly quiet-- Which made it all the more heart-rending.

...Yuuri.

Even though he had never had such an experience, he could still understand her sadness. He frantically searched his meager vocabulary for the right words to say to her.

...I won't ever treat you like a pest.
Huh...?
I'll stay with you forever, Yuuri. There's no need for you to read minds or anything, either. So you don't have to worry anymore.

Natsuhiko's awkward encouragement made her smile with joy from the bottom of her heart.

...Thank you, Natsuhiko.
Well, even if you are a Communicator, I don't mind it at all. We're friends, after all.
...You're right. And besides... there is one thing that makes me glad I was born a Communicator.
Huh?
Well, it's because that's how I met you. If I wasn't a Communicator, I never would've moved to this town.

Yuuri looked at Natsuhiko as she spoke.

Natsuhiko couldn't help but look away. He felt an unknown emotion welling up from the bottom of his heart. His face felt unbearably hot and he couldn't form any words.

Huh? What's wrong...?
N-nothing. Part of a biscuit just got caught in my throat, that's all.
Huh? Are you okay?
Y-yeah, I'm fine now. I'm strong, after all.
Okay, thank goodness.

Yuuri sighed in relief. Sadness was no longer anywhere to be seen on her face. Natsuhiko sighed too as he pondered.

(... Thank goodness. It looks like taking her away from home was the right choice.)

Natsuhiko looked at the lamp. He felt as if he could see a bright future waiting for them reflected in its flames.

(... Looks like Yuuri won't have to cry anymore now. Hopefully she can learn to forget all the sad things that've happened so far--)

But the moment Natsuhiko felt that optimism...

Hmm... Looks like it ran out of fuel, I guess. ...Let's resupply tomorrow.

Yuuri's voice was listless.

(Crap. I shoulda made sure there was enough fuel...)

As Natsuhiko mulled over that mistake, Yuuri murmured beside him.

...Natsuhiko, are you there?
Huh? Yeah, why?
What's wrong?
...I'm kinda scared now... Can we stay closer together?
Y-yeah.

Natsuhiko huddled up with Yuuri as told. He could feel the warmth of her arm against his. But the air gradually cooled and caressed their skin.

Kinda chilly...
...Yeah.
I wonder if Dad's gonna come to take me back...
He won't. But even if he does, I'll--

A sound from outside interrupted Natsuhiko. --The sound of footsteps.

Who's there...!?
I-it's Dad... Dad's come to take me away...!
!
...N-Natsuhiko...!

Yuuri tugged on Natsuhiko's sleeve. Natsuhiko placed his hand over hers.

...It's okay. I'll deal with your dad.
N-no... If you make him mad, he'll beat you for hours, Natsuhiko...
I don't care if I take a beating if it's for you, Yuuri--
No! You mustn't! I don't want you to get beaten either, Natsuhiko!
Shh!

Natsuhiko panicked and interrupted Yuuri. For even as they spoke, the sound of footsteps got closer. Up to the entrance of the ruined factory.

(I really do need to deal with him, though... no matter what Yuuri might say.)

Natsuhiko silently stood up and rushed toward the footsteps.

Natsuhiko!
Don't worry! I'll protect you, Yuuri!

Someone's shadow stood at the entrance. Judging by its size alone, it had to have been an adult.

(Gotta rush up to him and punch him in the face! Then I'll say ''Stop picking on Yuuri''!)

That was all he had in mind. Natsuhiko rushed at the shadow and then--

???: Natsuhiko?

That voice stopped him.

Huh? M-Mom!?

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

The professor threw Natsuhiko one look and said:

Don't 'Huh, Mom?' me! I was worried sick about you! When I got back, you weren't home and the kitchen was a mess... But thank goodness I was able to find you relatively quickly.
Wh-why are you here, Mom...!?
I panicked and called the Tobas. Mashiro told me about this place. I rushed over here as soon as I found out. I haven't run so much in about five years.
Is that so...

Natsuhiko sighed, all his tension slackened in a matter of seconds. But his sense of relief was blown away by the professor's next words.

...Huh? Who's that over there?
!

The professor noticed something moving in the darkness behind Natsuhiko. Yuuri hesitantly peeped up and walked up out of the shadows.

...She's my new friend, Yuuri.

After the kids' reluctant introduction, the professor spoke in exasperation.

Ahh, so you're the daughter of the Kotonos who moved in the other day? You should know better, Natsuhiko. You can't keep a girl out this late.
B-but...

The professor ignored Natsuhiko and smiled at Yuuri.

I'm so sorry, Yuuri. Come on, let's bring you home. I'm sure your parents are worried about you.
!

Yuuri's whole body twitched at the word ''parents''. She looked to the professor with tears in her eyes.

O—oh my? What's the matter?

In the professor's confusion, Natsuhiko made a bold declaration.

M-Mom...! Please don't bring Yuuri back to that house!
Huh? There's no way I can just--
You can't take her back there! Yuuri doesn't want to go back to a house like that! Yuuri's mom and dad treat her like she's a pest just because she's a Communicator! Every day, they shout, they say mean things, and they kick her out of the house!
...They what...!?

The professor's face stiffened for a moment.

... Is that true, Yuuri?

After a short moment's hesitation, Yuuri painfully nodded. Natsuhiko endured the sadness and continued.

...That's why I wanted to save Yuuri. I thought that if she just lived in this secret base, she'd never have to go back to that house again...
...!

The professor sank into silence with a grim look on her face before placing her hands on Natsuhiko's shoulders.

...I understand the circumstances. But still-- By no means can she live here. Children cannot live by themselves.
No way! You're so mean, Mom. Yuuri just--
And that's why--!

The professor held Natsuhiko still as he started pleading with her.

--I will do something about this myself.
Huh...!?

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

You can relax, Yuuri. I promise I'll make things right.

The professor smiled at Yuuri. And, as if all of Yuuri's threads of tension had snapped--

*sob*... *sob*...

She burst into tears in a stifled voice.

Y-Yuuri...

Natsuhiko rushed up to Yuuri in a panic to hold her hand. Yuuri squeezed his hand back and spoke.

Th-thank you so much... Thank you, Natsuhiko... and Mrs. Natsuhiko's Mom...!

Yuuri's sobs echoed in the darkness. Natsuhiko’s mother said nothing. Natsuhiko himself said nothing. All he could do was keep holding Yuuri's hand as she sobbed--

And with that, we return to TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ADVENTURE

We find our next friendship scene during LOUISE YUI SANNOMIYA'S DEDUCTION.

They said the full-blown investigation will start once he's healed, right? I wish they'd pick up the pace, for goodness sake.
I know. But it's getting late today, so let's just go home and eat for now.
Yay. Food. We haven't eaten anything since breakfast.

Natsuhiko smiled at how they were finally able to have a calm conversation for the first time that day.

I bet. You've been hanging in there all this time, haven't you? Thank you, Salyu. Let me pat your head as thanks.

Mashiro petted Salyu's head just as she said she would. Salyu seemed a little ticklish, but she didn't seem to hate being petted as she obediently allowed Mashiro to continue.

...I did it to protect you two. It's not like I did it for praise.
There you go again~ No need to be such a tsundere, you little cutie~
It's not like I'm embarrassed or anything. Actually, I...
You...?
... It might be weird for me to say this, but-- I thought today was kind of... fun.
Huh? Fun?

Natsuhiko and Mashiro found themselves confused at the sudden mention of that word. Salyu nodded as she explained herself.

Remember when we got on the bus two days ago? We made a promise to go around the city.
Oh, sure.
And we fulfilled that promise in an unexpected way. We chased and got chased and ended up making an adventure all around town. It was almost like I had slipped into the memories you two share.
Our memories?
Yeah, your memories.

Salyu smiled and gazed at Mashiro and Natsuhiko.

...I have no memories of my own. There was nothing for me in my hometown. My days were dark and ashen, truly lifeless times... But today is sure to become a good memory. I'm glad I came to this town.

Natsuhiko inadvertently looked away from Salyu. He was taken completely off guard by Salyu's pure innocence.

(What's with this girl? She's way too honest... That's just not fair!)

He looked towards Mashiro-- She was pressing down on the inner corners of her eyes with trembling fingers.

Salyu, were girls like you... Were girls like you put on this earth to kill me with 'moe'!?
Um, you do know that 'moe'... is a dead word nowadays, right?
Kill you with 'fire'?
Not quite the right type of 'moe', but close enough.
... I don't follow.
Don't worry about it. Basically she's saying you're cute, that's all.
I-I see.

Salyu's eyes wandered in apparent confusion.

Anyway... What I wanted to say was that today was fun. We didn't get to go shopping, but we can save that for later. I want us to all go together... Can we?
Of course! Let's go shopping next Sunday for sure!
I'm up for it too.
That's great. I'm glad you two agree. To be honest, I want new clothes. I really liked the clothes you picked for me, Mashiro. I want you to pick something out for me again.
I will, I will! I'll choose howEVER many you want! Is there anything else you want!? Anything!?
I want... a stuffed animal.
Hmm? Alice no good?
That's not it. I just want stuffed animals for my room besides Alice since I carry her everywhere. And since Mashiro named Alice, I want you to name the next one, Natsuhiko.
I-I see...! Hmm~ I'm not too confident in my naming sense, though...
Natsuhiko, not even you can be tactless enough to turn her down here, can you?
O-of course not. I'll come up with a name if you really want.
Okay. I'd be happy if you did. I'm sure I'll treasure that stuffed animal.
Oooohhh~! I'll buy you as many books, stuffed animals, or bombs of mass destruction as you want! Anything at all! I'll take care of your every need! Just leave it up to your big sis over here!

Mashiro struck her chest triumphantly. As Natsuhiko watched the two girls talk, he had a short dream of the future. --He saw Salyu looking around at all the stuffed animals she liked. He saw Mashiro enjoying herself as she showed Salyu her recommendations. He saw himself watching a short distance away.

(I'm sure that'd be a fun day...)

Natsuhiko secretly smiled to himself at the thought.

(She deserves at least that much of a reward. Since she's done so much for us today...)

That much was certain-- but there was still one regretful thing that happened.

...In the end, we couldn't stop the terrorists from blowing up the PRC like they wanted to, huh...
Yeah... but at least there weren't any casualties.

And with that, we return back to LOUISE YUI SANNOMIYA'S DEDUCTION. You know, these are supposed to be friendship scenes for Natsuhiko, but it seems that Mashiro is the one that's really falling for Salyu here. Not that I blame her. Salyu is the most adorable little axe-murdering gumdrop.

• Locked thread