Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

What if AD saves you from radiation now, but you die of rogue nanomachines later? :tinfoil:

Not thinking crazy enough. What if AD saves you from radiation now, but then kills you in the past!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Cyouni posted:

Man, that document.

I have to say that sometimes this game is a pain to make comments about.

How do you think I feel? I loving love making oblique hints about things to come in my LPs, but in this case, I have to completely zip my mouth for this one.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Body: 09/16/2030, 11:25 - Part 2

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

And now, back to your regularly scheduled non-Jun-focused program.

(Moribe's absolutely right... Just because the sprinkler system's finally on doesn't mean that the survivors are safe.)

If they'd been in an area that'd been on fire up until a few minutes ago, there was a big chance they'd already burned to death. The fear of being cornered by flames had now been replaced with the fear that the flames had already cornered someone else.

(... I just hope the survivors escaped to Area 5.)

(For us to finally go into a new area only to find bodies... yeah, I'd rather not have that outcome.)

Everyone else was probably thinking the same thing. The group said nothing and continued running down the halls.

The hall had been horribly damaged from the flashover that had scorched it earlier. The Procyon's alarm beeped, its reading at ''5322 mSv''. As long as they had AD in their system, all of them could probably handle that level.

Blue path asking us about Kazami. She still sits at... uh, 5. Huh. Looks like I messed something up at some point, because that should be 7... ah, crap, I think I screwed something up by reloading a save at one point and not redoing that correctly. Good thing that this is the last update for this batch of footage, so I can go back and fix that easily. ...actually, I'll just do that right now. Here's what changes:

- The blue path in Fighters' Rest with Ena, Jun and Kazami changes. Instead of getting no bonuses, we get a +1 to all three, and the dialogue is different, replacing what comes after ''But... I'll try to make sure I do as you all say from now on.'':

quote:

That'd be a real help. Having everyone get along like this will be more comforting than fighting all the time.
Really?
You see, I'm rather soft-hearted... so it really hurts to see women fighting each other.
Ahah, never expected to hear you say something so pathetic.
Wow, now that's something you'd never hear the normal Captain say.
Did he really have this side to him?

Everyone chuckled at Watase's light-hearted joke. The tension finally appeared to be loosening up.

Well, since we're at it, let's talk about something cheerful.

And then it continues as in the update. Then, during Body - the first part - the blue path with Yuuri changes too. It goes to ''It didn't appear there was anything wrong with her body.'' and then changes from there, starting with not giving us a +1:

quote:

He was worried about Yuuri, but Watase dared not say anything to her.

(She might still be scared...)

Instead, it was Jun who spoke up.

You inhaled gas and passed right out. You don't remember?
Huh?

And then it continues as before.

Let's split up and search the larger rooms, hallways, and the elevator hall.
What about the inner ring? Last time we checked, it was a contaminated zone...
...If we don't find anything here, we may have no choice but to venture there. I'll search it if it comes to that.

At this point, the actually correct Senses input you wanted gives us a +1 to Kazami and adds this:

quote:

What are you talking about? Aren't you forgetting you spent a whole hour without a proper shot of AD? Your cumulative exposure must be really high now. Consider your own body for a bit. If it comes to it, then -I'll- search the contaminated zone.
Captain... understood.

Then it continues like how it did in my wrong footage, with this:

At any rate, let's focus on searching the outer ring for now.

Kazami then began rapidly issuing off orders.

Captain, Ms. Tsubakiyama, please cover the hallways and the elevator hall. Everyone else will search the large rooms with me.
You sure the two of us will be enough?
Yes. After all, I believe you've finally gotten used to this.
All right, roger that.

Kazami had a point: two people were probably enough to just take care of the hallways and elevator hall. Watase and Ena immediately got to searching the outer ring. They silently walked through the hallway.

The normally loud-mouthed Ena was surprisingly quiet.

What if they looked around a corner while searching for a card and instead found only a burnt corpse? Watase just stood there, stricken by that thought.

(... Dumbass, stop thinking stupid poo poo like that!)

However, he couldn't rid his mind of that horrid fantasy. He and Ena finished searching the hallway and headed on over to the elevator hall. When they approached the door--

...Oh, what's this smell...?

Ena sniffed the air.

Hmm?
Come on, don't you smell something delici--

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Ena's face had frozen over before she could finish.

...!

Just then, Watase's nose took hold of that smell. His mouth started watering and his stomach started rumbling: both conditioned reflexes to that particular scent. But Watase was shuddering. --Because the ''something delicious'' that he and Ena were smelling... was the scent of ''grilled meat''.

(... No, please no.)

(Don't tell me that smell is...!)

Watase opened the door with hands that were shaking like crazy--

♪ BGM: Sinister Ambience ♫

And spotted the source of the smell.

Ah...

Hollow gasps escaped from Watase and Ena's mouths. Their hunger instantly turned to nausea. Legs burnt to charcoal. Melted body fat dripping to the floor. A horribly charred protection suit. A fire axe gripped firmly in the hand. Rescue squad equipment.

Aah, aah, AAAAAAAAAAAAH...!

He didn't recognize their face. But he could tell with a glance... that this was their other squadmate who'd went to the basement-- ''Hiyama''.

--HIYAMA!

A scream burst out from deep within his lungs.

Hiyama! Hey, Hiyama!

Watase ran over to him and called his name, but naturally, the body didn't even twitch. He'd already known from the moment he'd seen him that it was far too late... Watase then heard voices and footsteps rapidly approaching from behind.

Wh-what happened!?
Aah...!

Watase's scream had sent Kazami and Jun running over. He paid them no heed and touched Hiyama's body. He could tell how rigid the latter was even through the protection suit.

It's too late... he's already... dead.

Watase's proclamation was followed by cries of grief.

No... no...
Hiyama, not you too...!

He could hear Jun's tearful voice echo behind him. Watase couldn't feel sad. He just searched Hiyama's body with gloomy clouds shrouding his heart.

(His legs were broken...!?)

He'd probably been trying to escape from the fire to the bitter end. He came across the inferno in Area 4, got caught on fire, and yet crawled all the way over to the elevator hall trying to cling on to whatever life he had left-- and then breathed his last at this spot.

Hiyama...!

Watase lamented at the death of the squadmate he didn't even remember. And next to the body, lying there as if it were Hiyama's last will and testament to his squadmates--

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Oh hi there Hiyama.

TheMcD posted:

How do you think I feel? I loving love making oblique hints about things to come in my LPs, but in this case, I have to completely zip my mouth for this one.

I think the only thing I can safely say at this point is that this looks really different when you come through A for the first time instead of doing B first.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

AD is the cause of our MC's amsnesia. He actually grew up in an orphanage with all the characters in the past.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
drat, that is an impressive jacket. Not even a burn mark.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
No surprise one of the two guys involved in what ever conspiracy pre-amnesia Watase was in has a high level card.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Order: 09/16/2030, 11:33

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

The group left the elevator hall and gathered in front of it. Ukita and Yuuri had also been told of Hiyama's death. Ena remained speechless for a while, then barely managed to make out a few words.

... I'm sorry... for your loss.

Ukita gazed at Watase as his body shook in fear, then spoke.

How did this ever happen...!?

... It's okay, Yuuri.

Jun gently wrapped her arms around Yuuri's shoulders, but the look on her face only made Yuuri more depressed.

... Dying in the line of duty is an unavoidable risk in this line of work.
But Tachibana...

Blue branch asking about Kazami, who sits at 7.

Kazami looked at Watase and spoke.

We can save our grief for after we've rescued the survivors and gotten outside. But... for now, we mustn't...

Her voice shook, and her eyes were filled with sorrow.

... Yeah.

When he thought about her feelings, he realized that no words could ever console the pain she had to be going through.

You have to do the same, Moribe...

Jun spoke in a teary voice after Kazami called out to her.

But... today was the first time... I've ever lost a coworker on the job... And now... it's happened... again...
I know. But you have to hold your head high. You discarded your womanhood when you joined Sirius. Remember that.
But... Sis...!

Jun choked back a sob. Kazami didn't scold her for calling her ''Sis''.

(Tachibana... Moribe... they can't take much more of this...)

Even the ever firm and reliable Kazami was failing to hide the tremors in her voice. And yet here Watase was, not even sad about his coworker's death.

(Goddammit... I have to say something...!)

A blue branch. Jun sits at 8, Kazami at 7, and Watase at 5.

Watase gritted his teeth in frustration-- but then Ena whispered into his ear.

What are you doing, Captain Kasasagi...!? You have to get a hold of yourself.

Watase stood in utter bewilderment, but then Ena turned to him with irritation in her eyes.

Speak up. You're a man, aren't you? And a captain, right? Then you're the only one who can lead us all, aren't you? It doesn't matter if you've got amnesia or whatever. Man up.

It was those words that finally brought Watase to an epiphany.

(No, now that I think about it, that was always... my role.)

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

Anyone would be after losing two squadmates whom they'd held so dear in just one day.

(But she can't show it because she needs to put on a brave face for all the survivors here... And because our mission isn't over yet...!)

What would the survivors think if the rescue squad all broke down in sorrow and grief?

They would definitely feel that the situation was hopeless. They'd almost certainly descend into despair.

(Then I have to be strong... Stronger than anyone... I must be stronger than anyone, both as a man, and as the captain of this squad!)

Even if it was a role he knew nothing about... Even if he didn't have confidence in his abilities because of his lack of memories--

(I am... a rescue squad captain. I am ''Watase Kasasagi'', the man who Tachibana and Moribe look up to!)

And the moment he thought that-— a raging fire ignited in Watase's heart. A fire that had been lit by Kazami and Jun's tears, as well as Ena's words.

Huh?
...?

The two of them walked over to Watase with forlorn footsteps. Watase looked Kazami dead in the eye and spoke.

We're changing leaders. I'll lead the group from this point onwards.
C-Captain...?

Kazami and Jun couldn't hide their bewilderment.

Oh come on, I'm just restoring the status quo, that's all. I'll be the leader for now until you've both calmed down. Let me shoulder all the weight you've been carrying so far. Anyway, just rely on me for a while. Especially you, Tachibana-- you've been carrying far too heavy a burden up until now.

Kazami fell quiet in what appeared to be hesitation.

Didn't you hear me? Then let me make it an order-- as Sirius' captain.

Watase clicked his heels and spoke in a sharp voice.

As of this point onwards, Lieutenant Kazami Tachibana and Ensign Jun Moribe will hereby defer to Captain Watase Kasasagi's command!

Those words came very naturally out of Watase's mouth.

!!

Kazami and Jun's bodies trembled.

Now let me hear you say it!

And like that, strength instantly returned to Kazami and Jun's eyes. They both clicked their heels and replied.

Sir! Lieutenant Kazami Tachibana deferring to Captain Watase Kasasagi's command, sir!
E-Ensign Jun Moribe deferring to Captain's command, sir!
Good!

Watase smiled and gave them both a pat on the shoulder.

...And there you have it. Well, that was mainly for formality's sake-- I'm still counting on you both to basically keep things running the way they've been so far. I still have amnesia, like it or not. But my strength and spirit are the same that they've always been. So let's work ourselves to the bone without worrying about the chain of command.

He said that in the friendliest voice he could muster in an attempt to relieve their tension. But Kazami responded meekly.

Y-yes... please.
Good. Then now that we've finally got our hands on a Level 6 card, let's use it to press onwards.

Another blue branch about Jun, who's still at 8.

Jun quietly nodded at that.

You're right... we can't keep staying down in the dumps forever.

Jun turned to the others and spoke in a voice brimming with bravado.

The fires are out and we've got a card, so now we can now go all the way to Area 6. We have nothing to fear!

And besides, isn't your catchphrase--
--'Jun's the name, and rescue's my game'. Sheesh, I can't believe I almost forgot that. Thanks, Captain!

Jun's eyes had regained their natural spark.

Don't sweat it. Keeping his subordinates' spirits up is a captain's job.

Watase said that with a smile, then turned back to Ukita and the others.

Yes, I'll be fine... ready when you are.
No problems here.
...Yes.

Watase nodded when he heard their answers. Kazami then gently placed a hand on his shoulder--

And said that with a wide smile. One that seemed sad, yet mixed with a small hint of joy...

They set his axe against the door as a gravestone of sorts. And with that, the elevator hall had become his temporary tomb...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Would Watase have done this without Ena's prodding?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

Would Watase have done this without Ena's prodding?

I haven't checked, but what I figure is that after Ena's "get a hold of yourself", having a high Sense of Watase means that he works it out on his own, and having a low one (like we do) means he has to get prodded into it.

Blue branches are usually minor like that - major things will happen one way or another, just a few lines get changed.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Infirmary: 09/16/2030, 11:38

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

The card slot at the B2 security gate had been incinerated, so they went back up to B1 -- And opened the door that had remained shut up until now. Watase checked his Procyon as soon as it opened.

If it was a contaminated zone, then everything would have been for nothing. However-- the reading was ''3451 mSv''-- within the safety standard.

All right, let's go! Hurry up, guys!
He's right! That security camera footage showed that Mr. Tenkawa and the others ran this way!

Kazami's eyebrows twitched when she heard the survivors' names.

You are right that there's a high possibility that the survivors are just up ahead...
Right? Now that we don't have to worry 'bout fires anymore, we can put finding the survivors and AD above all else.

Jun's voice also had a trace of hope to it. Though both of them were still recovering from the shock, it seemed that they were slowly returning to normal.

(Thank God...)

Watase grinned slightly and walked through the connecting passageway-- and then entered Area 5.

The walls and the ceiling were both white, making the place a bright and sanitary block.

Wow, this place is like a whole other world compared to everywhere else we've been...
Feels kinda like a hospital, doesn't it?

The fact that it was overly clean and had a somewhat cold atmosphere was indeed reminiscent of a hospital.

Hey old man, what do they do here?
This is the laboratory section where the 'Senior Fellows'-- in other words, the high-leveled researchers-- conduct experiments. This division has far more advanced equipment than we 'Junior Fellows'—- normal researchers, that is-- have in our laboratories.

Blue branch with Kazami at 7.

Then how will the teams be divided?
How about we go with virtually the same formation we used in Area 4? Moribe and Teach will be with me. Tachibana will be with the old man and Yuuri...
Yes, that works fine.

He walked over to her and whispered:

Tachibana... you sure you're okay?
Do not worry. More importantly than that, please take care of Moribe.
...All right. Then we'll search the inner ring.
Roger that. We'll handle the outer ring.
Mmm, roger!
Then shall we go?

Watase's group then headed for the inner ring right away.

Ena started talking to herself in a low voice as they walked down the halls.

Blue branch with the three school kids at 6 and Ena at 3.

Hmm?
I wonder if Mr. Tenkawa and the others are okay.

There was a small ring of impatience in her voice. Her concern had probably been reignited after having come across yet another body.

They'd been finding bodies one after another-- it was no wonder that Ena was worried for her students. Jun then began to show consideration for Ena.

I get why you're worried... Natsuhiko and Mashiro are good kids, aren't they?
Yes...
Come to think of it, didn't you say you also knew those kids we saw in the security footage, Moribe?
That's right. We only just met a few days ago, but... we hit it off really well.

But there was something about her choice of words that caught Watase's interest.

Hey, what about the other girl?

You know, uh, the one we saw earlier... that 'Sannomiya' girl.
Oh, her? Honestly, there's a lot I don't know about her myself.
Why's that?
You see, the thing is, she only transferred into Rokumei Academy about a week ago. Though it looks like she became fast friends with Mr. Tenkawa and Ms. Toba.
I see...

But why had she run away from the rescue squad as soon as she saw them? It made even less sense when one considered that her own teacher had been with them too.

(So if even Teach doesn't know the answer to that...) ...Then I'd like to meet her in person and ask her what kind of girl she is.
Good idea... I'd like her to keep attending school with everyone in the future as well.
Alrighty, then why don't we do away with the chatter and make do with the searching?
drat straight.

The group then picked up the pace.

But the last room they visited-- was clearly different from every other room in the facility.

Seems like the place they might keep AD, don't you think?
And even if they don't, we might find something useful in here. Search the place.
Right!

The group fired themselves up and began looking through the room. As expected, there were multiple medical devices lying around. There was a medical bed, a small oxygen tank and respirator, and a blood transfusion kit. There was also something that looked like a giant closet.

(Hmm, could it be...?)

Watase reached out for the closet and opened it. A cold wave blew out of it when he did. It seemed it was not a closet, but rather a refrigerator. Inside were bags with red liquids, each bag labeled either ''A'', ''B'', ''O'', or ''AB''.

(Blood packets...?)

The fridge was apparently used to store blood until it was needed for a transfusion.

(So this is basically your run of the mill doctor's office... like one you'd find in a hospital.)

But that was it-- there wasn't any AD in it at all. Watase gave up and closed the fridge.

Find anything, Captain?
Nope, nothing. We've got a respirator set up and a transfusion kit if we ever need it, but nothing we can use right now.
Same here. There's a ton of empty AD ampules... but not a single full one.

Jun held out an empty ampule and medical box. The researchers and other staff had most likely taken them and run during the evacuation.

Great, all that looking for nothing!
Well, Natsuhiko and gang might've taken the AD that was here. If so, then this is a good sign.
No, we can't be optimistic. That doesn't necessarily mean they found enough.

Just then, Ena spoke up.

Oh, speaking of which, it's not AD, but I did find something good.
Hmm?
See? Got some Chiron here.

Tips posted:

TIP: Chiron
Category: Fiction

A hemostatic agent in a tube developed by Betelgeuse New Treatments. The viscous gel is useful for first aid to close wounds and stop bleeding and has been widely adopted by medical responders and rescue squads. Chiron, also spelled Cherion or Kheiron, is a half-man, half-horse centaur from Greek Mythology. He studied music and medicine from Apollo, the sun god, and hunting skills from Apollo's sister, the moon goddess Artemis. Chiron is depicted as an immortal wise man who helps the sick and teaches heroes wisdom, martial arts, and medicine. Finally, he was poisoned by an arrow from Heracles, and, unable to bear the pain, he made a bargain with the chief god, Zeus, to turn over Chiron's immortality to Prometheus so that he could die instead. Regretful for Chiron's death, Zeus raised him to the heavens as the constellation Sagittarius... or so it is said, but that description is not found in Greek mythology.

The label read ''Styptic Chiron''. Underneath was the name of the manufacturer, ''Betelgeuse New Treatments''.

Umm, what's that?
Pretty much the god of all ointments. It closes small wounds so well it's like they're glued shut.
Wow, sounds useful.
Indeed. Let's all take one each.

Ena said that, then distributed the Chiron amongst the three of them.

But it looks like that's the only thing we found here...
Well, that's just luck for you. Anyway, let's get back to the outer ring pronto.
Yes, let's.

The group then left the infirmary.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Good old antibiotic gel.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
To further the human experiments assumption: Why the hell would a research facility have a fully stocked infirmary with stuff like blood for transfusions. Doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would be required for regular old research, even nuclear research.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

For that matter how do the kids know they need AD? Or that there's a radiation leak?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

For that matter how do the kids know they need AD? Or that there's a radiation leak?

They're a handful of untrained kids charging headlong into ridiculous danger. Of course one of them just happens to have read something in a magazine article the week before that explains everything.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Gridlocked posted:

To further the human experiments assumption: Why the hell would a research facility have a fully stocked infirmary with stuff like blood for transfusions. Doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would be required for regular old research, even nuclear research.

Not to betray my gross lack of knowledge of radiation symptoms, but I am aware that it has negative effects on your blood (white blood cell count due to bone marrow damage? Leukemia?), so the idea that someone in an accident may need a transfusion seems legit to me (not that much else in this place does).

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Well, I'm going to assume that they have a Procyon, and that AD comes with a little packet thing that says "take this when exposed to radiation or die". Or maybe all they have is a vague recollection of radiation symptoms from some textbook, coupled that they are in a nuclear research facility, and the reason there's so little AD is that they're treating it like aspirin, just taking it when they feel a headache like Tachibana.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

OddHaberdasher posted:

Not to betray my gross lack of knowledge of radiation symptoms, but I am aware that it has negative effects on your blood (white blood cell count due to bone marrow damage? Leukemia?), so the idea that someone in an accident may need a transfusion seems legit to me (not that much else in this place does).

If someone has radiation poisoning or issues resulting from over exposure to radiation then a blood transfusion soon after the fact wouldn't do jack. And if they are having health issues that require that sort of treatment they would be receiving it at a hospital not hidden in a research lab underground.

Seems dodgy.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Reminder: Natsuhiko's mom works at LABO. Being a mother, she could have given Natsuhiko a full rundown on the dangers in LABO, especially the worst case scenario, the Case N, and he would have then told Mashiro and Louise. That seems like a fairly plausible explanation to me.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Emergency Evacuation: 09/16/2030, 11:42

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

I keep telling you, it's too dangerous to drink that!
But my thirst is at its limits!
...Honestly... it's getting tough for me too...

What's going on? Did you find some AD?
Ah, Captain. No, we didn't find any AD or survivors, but...
But we found this.

Ukita then showed the rest of the group what he held between his arms. They were six plastic 500 mL bottles that read ''distilled water''. Just enough for everyone.

Water!? You found water!?
Yes, though it appears to be water meant for mixing with medicine.
But I've been telling him not to drink it because there's a possibility that it'll give us radiation exposure from the inside...

However, everyone gulped when they saw the water. Just as Ukita and Yuuri said, their throats were parched like a desert. True, they couldn't be sure it was safe to drink, but--

I-I... It's probably risky, but I want to drink it anyway.
You too?
No, I think she's right, in fact. We found these in a metal medicine cabinet, so the possibility that they've been contaminated by radiation is extremely low. And naturally, there's a 0% chance that there's any atomic dust in them. It's completely separate from the tap water that way.

Now that he mentioned it, Kazami had said earlier that there was a chance that the water in the facility was contaminated by radiation. But that was tap water she'd been talking about-- water that was openly exposed to that radiation. The water in the plastic bottles was, in theory, safe, just as Ukita had said.

Th-then... isn't it okay for us to drink it, Tachibana?
But if there's even the slightest chance that it isn't--
Argh, just quit complaining already!

Ena said that and snatched a plastic bottle out of Ukita's hands.

Ah!

Ena unscrewed the cap and took a giant swig of the water before Kazami even had time to stop her. But a second later--

...*cough*!

She started choking.

*cough*! *cough* *cough*!
T-Teach!?
Was there something bad in there!?
...Ack... n-no. I just drank way too much too quickly, so some of it got stuck in my throat, that's all.

The group all breathed a sigh of relief.

Anyway, why don't the rest of you join in? The taste is to die for... I never knew that water could taste this good.

Ena broke out into an entranced smile. This only caused more and more people to give into their desires.

--I-I'll have some too!
Me too!

With that, Ukita and Yuuri suddenly snapped into action by taking their own plastic bottles and drinking them.

Aah...!

Kazami let out a defeated shout. She'd probably realized that no fear of internal radiation exposure could keep them away from the allure of water.

This is kind of an interesting dilemma, though I'm not sure of the science behind it. I've read that surviving a day without water is totally doable, but the problem with that is that this isn't just ''surviving''. There's been a lot of physical exertion, which burns water, and there's been a lot of fire involved, which means a lot of heat, which means bodies burning more water. And just surviving means that you're not going to be in a good condition, which is required here. So getting water is a lot more important to our crew than it is to a hypothetical person just trying to survive without water. This, I think, clinches it in favor of ''just drink the poo poo''. It should be relatively safe, and let's face it, you're not finding any other kind of water here. Distilled water from a metal cabinet is your best shot if you want to have any sort of water here.

...Sorry, Tachibana, but I'm gonna have some too.
M-me too...!
...I suppose it can't be helped. Well, it does indeed seem safe...

Kazami also caved in. In the end, everyone took a plastic bottle for themselves. They unscrewed the caps with trembling hands and drank away while being careful not to choke on it.

...!

Fresh water was soaking into Watase's parched throat. Even though the water was at room temperature and therefore not cold at all, it was unbelievably tasty.

...Aaah! I feel alive again!
Yeah, it makes me wanna cry tears of joy!!
N-now that we've quenched our thirst... let's get back to talking about the search, shall we?

Kazami said this in a slightly uncomfortable voice. The rest of the group all promptly nodded.

We only found water in the outer ring... but what about the inner ring team?
Zilch. Just some medical ointment.
So in the end, this block was a dud, huh...

Everyone's shoulders slumped at Ena's comment.

...C'mon guys, don't get so down in the dumps. Let's keep on searching.
Then let's go check B2 of this area. We'll use the emergency staircase to get down there.

The group started walking again after finishing that discussion. But when they got to the staircase-- Watase noticed something odd about the wall in front of it.

Hmm...?

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Right below it was a keypad of sorts with ten buttons labeled from 0 to 9.

Hey, hold on a sec, guys.
Huh?
What do you think this is?

The group turned to Watase and gathered around the keypad.

Hmm... what indeed?
I don't know... maybe it's an emergency telephone line or something?

Watase randomly pressed the buttons. But nothing happened. He didn't hear any dialing or anything.

If it's a phone, then it looks like it's broken, doesn't it?
Guess this means every last communication device was wiped out.
We shouldn't dwell on something that doesn't work. Let's go.
Good point.

Watase nodded and was about to walk off--

But Yuuri didn't budge an inch. She stared firmly at the ''EMERGENCY'' plate.

Blue branch about Yuuri, who still sits at 5.

Aah...!

Yuuri turned around in surprise at Watase's voice.

Something about it catch your eye?
No... I'm just a little tired, that's all.
I see...

As Watase pondered over what to do--

What're you guys doing? I'm going on ahead, you know!

Ena said that and entered the stairwell.

...Let's go, Yuuri.
...Okay.

Her voice was frail, but she still obeyed Watase.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

The room was pitch black.

...Hey, why's it so dark in here?
It appears the fluorescent lights are dead. Please watch your step, people.

The group obeyed and slowly descended the staircase. But when he'd made it just halfway...

What's that...?

We hear some creaking.

...Watase felt a tremor at his feet and instinctively came to a halt. And right after that--

Kyah!

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

A yellow branch this time, asking us about Kazami and Ena. Now, I could hold a vote here, but the general gist from the last round was that the rescue squad comrades go at the top and Ena goes at the bottom, so I made a snap decision to just move on with Kazami at 7 and Ena at 3.

--The staircase is starting to lean!?
Everyone, turn back! The staircase is collapsing!
!?
Run! Hurry!

Watase and the others ran up the stairs. And just when they'd all made it to the top-- The staircase tore apart with a thunderous roar.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Elevator Action: 09/16/2030, 11:45

gently caress it, let's do a double.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

Watase's voice was faint. The group had just barely escaped from the collapsing staircase with their lives.

I never expected that the staircase would collapse on us...
Is there any way we can go down from there?

Watase took a look into the stairwell. But the collapsed stairs blocked the door, meaning it was unlikely they could get to the other side.

Heeey, Teach! Can you hear me!?

However... there was no reply. It seemed she'd gone to some other room to continue with the search.

Crap, we're completely out off from Teach!
That's why I warned everyone not to go off on their own...!
No choice. Let's use the inner ring's emergency staircase to regroup with her!

The group nodded and headed for the inner ring. But the staircase there-~

Tch, guess we'll have to go down from another area?
Yes. Then--

Kazami took out her PDA and began muttering to herself.

She placed X-marks on the staircases on the map.

So we'll have to take a detour through Area 6. Let's go.

The group nodded again and headed for Area 6 this time.

The security slot that controlled the gate to Area 6 was out of order. Sliding the card into it did nothing.

Luck's just not on our side... let's try the outer ring's gate.

--But the connecting passageway to the outer ring was buried in rubble.

And on top of all that, it appeared that the hole in the ceiling didn't connect to the surface floors.

C-crap... this is really bad, isn't it?
Khh...

Kazami gritted her teeth and checked her PDA.

Meaning we have no way to get down to B2, huh?
Couldn't we go through the B2 Area 4 route?
Unfortunately... the outer ring's card slot there was burned in the fire.
And the inner ring's a contaminated zone...
Wait, you're not saying--!?
Yeah... we've hit a dead end.

Watase gritted his teeth. All their ways forward were completely cut off.

I'm worried about Teach... we've gotta find a way downstairs. We don't have a choice.
What if we used the connecting passageway in the contaminated zone?
No, it's too dangerous to bring everyone through a contaminated zone.
Wh-what should we do...?
This is a conundrum... if only the elevators were working...

Ukita bemoaned this in a voice devoid of hope-- But that comment suddenly lit a lightbulb in Watase's mind.

...Huh!? Wait, we might be able to get down through there!
Huh? From where!?
This way! Follow me!

Watase then ran off, with the rest of the group following close behind.

Hey, Captain? You do remember the elevators aren't working, right?
I know. But maybe, just maybe...

--The elevator car was apparently resting on the surface floors. Watase looked into the elevator shaft, then yelled.

...Yes, I was right!

There was a ladder there.

This is a maintenance ladder... yes, it -does- look like we could use this to get down.
It's along way down, though. You guys sure you'll be okay with that?
Mmm, I think I can make it... so long as I don't look down.
Good. Then let's go down one at a time.

But Yuuri's face went as white as a sheet at that moment.

I... I can't climb down from this high up...

A blue branch with Yuuri at 5.

She's right. Just hang in there.
B-but...

But there was no way they could leave Yuuri there. It was too dangerous to split the group up any further.

Oh great...!

They couldn't afford to waste time in this situation-- just as Watase thought this, Jun spoke up.

Then how 'bout you hang on to the Captain's back when he goes down?
Huh...!?
Don't worry, you'll be safe with him. You cool with that, Captain?
Y-yeah, I don't mind...

Watase glanced at Yuuri.

(Is she gonna reject me again...?)

However, Yuuri defied his expectations by nodding.

Okay... let's do that then, please.
O-okay! Leave it to me!
Then I'll go down before the both of you and wait on standby at the bottom, just in case something goes wrong. Moribe and Mr. Ukita, go down first and please look for Ms. Tsubakiyama.
Roger!
All right, I'll do it.

So with that, the group decided to head down to B2 through the elevator shaft. Jun and Ukita went first, followed by Kazami. Their voices soon echoed up from the bottom.

Okay, we're going on ahead!
Get down here as soon as you can.
Roger that. Okay then Captain, your turn.

After listening to all that, Watase and Yuuri got ready to go down.

Okay Yuuri, let's go.

Another blue branch, with Yuuri and Watase both at 5.

Yuuri silently wrapped her hands around Watase's neck. Watase made sure her body was held securely by the rope, then leapt into the shaft.

He then slowly descended the ladder. He could feel Yuuri's body trembling slightly through his back. Watase climbed down the ladder slowly so that his body rocked as little as possible. --A short time later, Yuuri whispered into his ear.

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

There's a lot of nice tracks in this game, but this one is my favorite. It has that wonderful quality where I can just close my eyes and completely lose myself in it. It makes me feel... at peace. Fitting.

Hmm?
I'm not heavy, am I...?

Watase's cracked ribs suddenly started hurting again when she asked this-- but he didn't let that show.

Nope, you're pretty light. I bet I could carry another ten of you and still be okay.

Watase thought he heard Yuuri let out a faint chuckle. The air grew silent again. Yuuri spoke up again as if she hated that silence.

...Captain Kasasagi, can I ask you a question?
Sure, fire away.
It... it feels like you're always worrying about me... Why is that...?
Oh, does it make you uncomfortable?
No! Not at all! It's just... I'm a total stranger to you. So why?
Hmm...

Watase was happy that Yuuri was actively striking up a conversation with him for the first time since they'd met. So after thinking about it for a while, he answered honestly.

...You might think I'm crazy after hearing this, but... I heard this voice when I first saw you.
A voice?
It told me to save you. It wasn't Tachibana or Moribe's voice. It felt like it was echoing from inside my head.
It's not like I obeyed the voice-- But when I first met you, I felt this mysterious yet powerful desire to save you.

Yuuri didn't say anything. Watase felt a tinge of embarrassment come over him.

...Yep, I knew it sounded crazy. It was like I was hearing an auditory hallucination or something like that.
N-no, that's not it! If you had to ask me... I think that might have been the 'Third Man factor'...

Tips posted:

TIP: Third Man factor
Category: Includes fiction

It is a tale of a life-threatening situation. Someone hears a voice that is neither their own, nor their partner's. The voice tells them to keep on living for as long as they can. Encouraged by that voice, they are able to survive-- The Third Man factor is the phenomenon people encounter during life or death situations where a supernatural existence leads the way to survival. At times, it encourages them, guides them to safety, or even appears as more than just a voice, taking the guise of a person. It appears in various situations like high mountains, battlefields, remote lands, and accident scenes. It cannot be explained as a mere ''near-death hallucination''. Are these all occurrences of Communicators in the past? While the possibility of BC users existing since ancient times cannot be denied, it may be something else... An omnipresent ''Third Man'' that intervenes with people throughout the world. An existence that comes to the aid of those struggling for surival. Could such a thing actually exist?

What's that?
Well... I read about it in a book. When people are thrown into extreme situations such as disasters or accidents... they say that they hear a voice that isn't actually there.
Huh, so something like that actually exists?
...They also say that the voice is always telling that person what actions they should take. There have been many reported cases of this phenomenon all over the world, usually from people who survived being stuck on a snowy mountain.
Sure is a strange phenomenon, that's for sure... Wonder why it happens.

After considering what Yuuri had just told him, Watase suddenly remembered something.

...Wait, could that be an example of that... uh, what'd Teach call it... that 'BC' thing?
Huh?
She said there's a lot of people nowadays who can use telepathy, right? Maybe there's some nice guy out there who knows of the trouble we're going through and is using telepathy to tell us what we should do?
...That would be wonderful... but here's what I think it is.
Hmm?
The human mind... their knowledge and memories, that is-- works at its absolute best in extreme situations like this... And so it tells you 'what you should do' in the form of a voice echoing in your head... perhaps?
Memories, huh. But I don't have any of those...
But it's said that even when you lose your memories, they leave behind a vague 'feeling'. So perhaps in your case, that feeling in your mind was the strong 'desire to save people'.
I see... that might be it.

That was a much more fitting mindset than the idea that someone was ordering him around with BC. That desire to save Yuuri that he'd felt back then was most certainly not vague.

...So maybe that's why I get so desperate to save people even without my knowledge and memories.
Yes, I think it'd be nice too... I really do...

Watase felt a slight anxiety emerge in him when he heard that. It sounded like there was some hidden meaning behind her words in the way she'd said that.

(Don't tell me that Yuuri is still being cautious of me... If that's the case, then why is she so...?)

The end of the ladder grew closer and closer as he thought that. Watase got off the ladder while still entrapped by those inescapable thoughts.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

All right, we're finally here.

Yuuri breathed a sigh of relief against the back of his neck when she heard that.

Whew...
You did a good job of hanging in there. You can rest easy now.
O-okay...

Kazami untied the rope and helped Yuuri down to the floor.

Then let's get going. We need to catch up with Ms. Tsubakiyama.
Yeah, you're right.

And so Watase and the others pried open the elevator doors-- And entered B2.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

However bad the water is, the air outside is much, much worse.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yet another CG with Watase's face conveniently out of the frame lol

It just feels too obvious! Are they playing this trope straight or not, damnit

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Laboratory: 09/16/2030, 11:48

The area they'd struggled so hard to get to was more or less the same in structure as its B1 counterpart. Laboratories lined the hallway. Kazami glanced at one of them, then muttered to herself.

'Neuroscience Laboratory'...?

That's what was written on the plate in front of the room. Just then, they heard voices coming from the room.

--I'm telling you this for your own safety.
I-I'm sorry...

It was Ukita and Ena. It seemed they'd already regrouped. Watase's group entered the room in high spirits.

Ukita was glaring at Ena.

H-hey, what happened -this— time?
Oh, it's you guys. Well... Ms. Tsubakiyama here was fiddling around with some machinery in this room, you see.
I already said I'm sorry... I was just curious because the room's called the 'Neuroscience Laboratory'.

When she said that, it finally hit Watase just how off that sounded.

Actually, yeah, that is weird. Old man, does 'neuroscience' have anything to do with 'nuclear power' research?
Indeed it does. First of all, you must remember that this facility's official name is the '6th Laboratory of Atomic and Biological Organization'. Thus we study both atomic power and biology here. That's how we were able to develop a medicine like AD.
I get it now... so what do -you- research, then?
My apologies, but I am not allowed to answer those sorts of questions.
Huh? Why not?
It's what they call a 'duty of confidentiality'. I can't divulge the details of our research to outsiders like yourselves. Some of our research is also related to national policy, so we can't make exceptions. Otherwise every last one of us would pay the price.
We understand. However-- we -are- permitted to enter laboratories for the search, correct?
Rather late to be asking, wouldn't you agree? Anyway, of course you are, what with the situation being what it is. Regardless... the things contained from Area 5 onwards are about as top secret as you can possibly get. Even if we can make it out of here in one piece, I strongly suggest that you do -not- tell anyone on the outside about what you saw here. The consequences for doing so could prove unexpectedly dire...

Ukita's words had a heavy weight to them.

...We'll worry about all that after we get out of here. We need to focus on finding AD right now.

Watase joined the others in searching the room, though he had a bad feeling weighing on his mind. Naturally, the large machines in the room caught everyone's eyes. Kazami inquisitively spoke up.

An MRI apparatus, a CT scanner... and isn't this an EEG instrument?
Oh, you're quite well-informed, aren't you?
Yes. I'm a certified first aid practitioner, you see. The same goes for the Captain.
I'm pretty sure I could do simple surgery myself, but, well, let's just say it'd be illegal for me to do it.

They searched as they talked, but found no AD. Yuuri then spoke up.

Um... I don't think this room has anything we need.
I concur. Why don't we search the other rooms?
Good idea... then let's split up into two teams and search the floor.
Indeed, that would be for the best. Then let's go with the same team configuration as last...

But Watase interrupted Kazami before she could finish.

No, I think that would be too inefficient. The inner ring's more consolidated than the outer ring, so let's split into teams of 4 and 2. Moribe and I will check the inner ring.
Huh?

Jun and Ena's eyes widened when they heard that.

Oh my... then I should join up with Ms. Tachibana's team, correct?
I have no problems with that. I think it's a good setup.
Right? You okay with it too, Moribe?

Blue branch, with Jun at 8 and Yuuri at 5.

Discussing the subject in detail would just be a waste of time. Watase quickly wrapped things up and dashed out of the room with Jun.

Hey Captain, why'd you ask to set up the teams this way?

Yuuri looked tired... and I figured the two of us wouldn't have much trouble coordinating our search, so we were the best pair for the smaller group.
Oh really now? That's pretty drat well thought out; think your instincts have finally come back to you?
Well, my memories haven't, but my instincts are somewhat back.
That's great. You're becoming real reliable now.

While chatting, they finally approached the connecting passageway to the inner ring--

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

But were stopped dead by the shrill ringing of the Procyon's alarm. The reading was-- ''8650 mSv''!

It's a contaminated zone!?
Crap, let's fall back!

Watase and Jun immediately ran out of the connecting passageway and shut the gate.

Watase gritted his teeth and thought the situation over.

What lay ahead of them was B2 of Area 5's inner ring-- In other words, the block right next to the contaminated zone where that girl had gone running off into.

(Then that means both blocks are completely contaminated, huh...)

To search this place would be dangerous. There was a chance he'd faint again. Watase hesitated and--

Captain, what's wrong?
W-well... would you stop me... if I said I wanted to search the contaminated zone?
Huh!? A-are you out of your mind!?
Hey, remember the girl we found in Area 4?
You mean Louise?
Right. The last place we saw her--

Watase took out his PDA and pointed to the map with one hand as he explained.

--was in B2 of Area 4's inner ring. If she had a security card, there's a chance she ran into Area 5.
In other words, right past this connecting passageway, huh...
Yeah. But both areas are contaminated zones. If she wandered in there without knowing that--
Then it's possible she might have passed out just like you did back then?
Bingo. If she did... it might be too late for her... But we can't leave her alone. Am I wrong?
Good point... and we need to find some AD too...

Jun thought it over for a bit-- then finally made up her mind and spoke.

...Okay then. If you're going, then I'm coming too.
Wait, you too!?

A yellow branch with Jun at 8.

According to the map, there's apparently six rooms there. So we should be able to take care of it if we search one room each in one min--
H-Hold on! This'll be dangerous, you know that?!
Are you listening to yourself!? It's more dangerous for you to go alone, right?!

And with that, the decision at that yellow branch now leads us directly into the next friendship scene with Jun.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

tiistai posted:

Yet another CG with Watase's face conveniently out of the frame lol

It just feels too obvious! Are they playing this trope straight or not, damnit

I mean it's still a VN so probably. The quiet, inexperienced, shy girl is holding onto you, the big, strong, amnesiac firefighter. This game isn't above such tropes, look at the schoolgirl uniforms and our rather well-endowed teammates. Even in 999 you never saw Junpei's face outside of like 2 cutscenes.

Also what was that about trusting Ukita? :v:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 19, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

Also what was that about trusting Ukita? :v:

Well, I mean, you can interpret it in a more generous way by saying that he's just making sure he's covering his own rear end and the asses of everybody else by basically saying "hey, if you talk about anything that you see in here, my bosses are likely to have you killed". LABO being up to some shady poo poo is pretty much accepted at this point, so them operating like the mob about trade secrets doesn't seem too far off.

As an aside, I have a bit of a question. With the length of these chapters and the speed boost I've gotten from OCR, I can usually crunch out several chapters in a day, and I'm pretty sure I'll have four new chapters ready for posting before I go to sleep this night. Now, at times, I've posted all of them when I finished them, leading to three updates being posted in the span of a few hours, and at times, I've staggered them out at a once-a-day rate, as with the latest few.

Now, the question is, which do you prefer? Posting chapters as soon as they're finished, leading to several a day at times and none on others, or spreading them out and posting one a day? This isn't a real vote or anything, I'm just looking for opinions.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I think posting them as they're done is the way to do it. The individual updates can feel a bit on the short side sometimes.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

SSNeoman posted:

The quiet, inexperienced, shy girl is holding onto you, the big, strong, amnesiac firefighter. This game isn't above such tropes, look at the schoolgirl uniforms and our rather well-endowed teammates. Even in 999 you never saw Junpei's face outside of like 2 cutscenes.

Eh, things like the artstyle aren't really important when we're talking about mystery tropes. And we see Junpei's face several times, most prominently right in first escape sequence where he's looking at a mirror and recognizing himself, even if he thinks he's looking a little pale. It's made clear at the start there's no need to suspect his identity.

Ukita's reaction makes sense to me regardless of whether he's in on some conspiracy or not.

TheMcD posted:

Now, the question is, which do you prefer? Posting chapters as soon as they're finished, leading to several a day at times and none on others, or spreading them out and posting one a day? This isn't a real vote or anything, I'm just looking for opinions.

I guess it depends on if you're expecting droughts on some days. Maybe have a safety buffer of x updates and when that's full just churn them out as you make them.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

tiistai posted:

I guess it depends on if you're expecting droughts on some days. Maybe have a safety buffer of x updates and when that's full just churn them out as you make them.

Hm. Not entirely sure how I'd marry that with the voting breaking up the workflow by necessity. Keep the buffer, but once I hit a point where I'd have voting, just empty it all at once? That might work.

EDIT: Alternatively, I could of course just have droughts happen if they happen and not really care about it. We'll probably be here for a year or more, what's a few days more, right?

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 19, 2016

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

TheMcD posted:

EDIT: Alternatively, I could of course just have droughts happen if they happen and not really care about it. We'll probably be here for a year or more, what's a few days more, right?

And then the next thing you know, you have a 4-year gap in your Just Cause 2 LP.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

CirclMastr posted:

And then the next thing you know, you have a 4-year gap in your Just Cause 2 LP.

So far, the worst gaps I've had were about a month, give or take a few days. I like to think that I have enough bull-headed determination to finish my LPs that I shouldn't run into any major droughts, bar the kind of poo poo that just happens (illness and school being prime factors). Even in such cases (except if the illness is really bad), I can take out an hour and crunch out a quick chapter to keep it from being a total drought, since the process is quite light on actual work. It'd be worse if I were translating and hand-typing this poo poo.

The big problem I have is a general feeling of mine in that whenever I finish an update, I want you to see it now. There's updates that have interesting bits that I want you to see, there's updates that have bad ends that I want you to see, and so on. :justpost: is my basic modus operandi. So I might feel like keeping a buffer makes sense, but deep down, my heart just says "POST IT YOU poo poo". And then I post.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Buddy

And so, I post. Time for five chapters, though with three very short ones in that.

(That's right... Moribe's gotta be scared too.)

''8650 mSv''--a level of radiation that'd most certainly kill you if you were exposed to it for a mere hour. It was highly unlikely that anyone could look at that number without feeling the slightest ounce of fear. Yet here Jun was, hiding that.

(To think a body that small is brimming with so much courage...!)

Watase spoke to Jun, making sure to hide his admiration.

...You're right about that. You need two people to go into that contaminated zone or it won't work.
Yeah, you can search much faster that way--
No, I'm talking about if one of us faints.
!!
You can't believe that lightning won't strike twice. Just because you didn't faint last time doesn't mean you won't this time either. That's why two of us need to go. If one of us passes out, the other one can carry them.
So we're putting our lives into each other's hands?
Yeah, exactly.
...Man, that has a nice ring to it.

Jun's strained face slowly changed. A bold smile soon took its place.

Don'tcha know, Captain? They call that the 'buddy system'.
Buddy system?
It means that we're 'partners'. Trusting your buddy and having their trust is more important than anything else in our line of work when we're on the job. The Lieutenant and I are normally buddies-- but today, there's no doubt that you and I are partners.
Partners, huh... that does sound nice.

Watase returned Jun's smile. It was likely that their two smiles were mirroring each other. The two of them silently held out their hands, then shared a firm handshake.

...Listen up. We'll limit our search to three minutes. If we run out of time, then drop whatever you're doing and get back here.
Yeah, that time limit sounds about right. It'll all be for nothing if we both pass out, after all.
Also, make sure to keep this a secret from Tachibana.
You don't even have to ask! I don't want to give her another thing to worry about!

Watase and Jun set their watch timers to three minutes, then turned back to the gate.

Okay, ready to go, partner!?
YEAH!

They both let out a gallant cry and charged straight into the contaminated zone.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Laboratory: 09/16/2030, 11:48 - Part 2

They were now in a battle against time. However--

A dull pain ripped through Watase's head.

(Tch, is this--!?)

It was the same headache and numbness in his skin that he'd felt when he'd last entered a contaminated zone.

(--Grr, so what!?)

Watase pushed it aside and continued running down the hallway.

Moribe! We'll meet up in the center!
Roger!

He and Jun split up at the fork in the hallway.

The room itself was just as charred as the hallway. Watase then opened his mouth.

Is anyone there!? Say something if you are!

But there was no response, and no AD to be found. Watase checked the place for a minute, then ran out of the room. He immediately went into the next room. But there was nothing there.

(I don't know if it's a good or bad thing that there's no survivors here...!)

If one of them had been lying unconscious here, they would have definitely been exposed to fatal levels of radiation by now. Watase burst out of the room as he thought that.

Moribe! Any luck!?
I checked all three rooms, but I got nothing!
Same here! Then this one's the only room left!

Watase said that and looked at the last room. There was a plate attached to the door. He had trouble reading it because of all the soot covering it, but--

'Dr. Miyoko Tenkawa'?

Something played back in Watase's head as soon as he saw that name.

Hey, Teach... what're their names?
The boy is 'Natsuhiko Tenkawa'.

I see, so this is--

But before Watase finished that thought—-

(!?)

--He saw a strange sight flash before him for a second. It looked like someone had been crying-- Watase felt a bad feeling overtake him and guide his voice.

...Moribe, let's go in!
Yeah!

The two of them then ran inside.

Louise! Say something if you're there!

However, there were no survivors to be seen.

(Was that vision I had just a delusion of mine?)

Watase thought that and looked around the room--when his alarm suddenly rang.

This is a yellow path asking about Watase. I could hold a vote here, but it's just another questionable decision about Watase's Sense of self, so instead, I'll just truck on with the 5 we already have and see what happens. If there's a bad ending, good, I can just go back and take the right path, and if there's no bad ending, we'll just go back and get it later.

Let's get out of here! We promised we'd go back after three minutes!

Watase hesitated for a moment. They'd confirmed that there were no survivors here, but they couldn't say the same about AD. He was also concerned about the strange vision he'd just had.

But he couldn't put their lives in danger over some fanciful delusion he'd had.

...Okay, let's go back!
Roger! Then let's hurry!

Watase and Jun then raced out of the room together.

Uh-oh. So yeah, the result that leads to us trusting our buddy and bailing out when we said we'd bail out? Not actually the right choice. Choo-choo, bad end train coming into the station!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Over Eighty Percent: 09/16/2030, 11:54

Oh? That was rather quick.
You're done searching the inner ring?
Yeah... but we didn't really find anything...
I see...
By the way, how about you guys?
Find anything?
No, nothing on our end either... no AD and no survivors.
However, we did come across these...

Ukita held out a bunch of security cards, all labeled ''Lv6''.

You found that many Level 6 cards?
We found those three in the same room. It appears they belong to the person who manages and creates these cards.
Or perhaps they belong to facility inspectors...

Either way, they now had four Level 6 cards. But there wasn't much use in having so many cards of the same level.

...Still, I wish we'd found some AD instead...

There were about 30 minutes to go until it was time for their next AD injection-- so they had to find more before then. But that wasn't the only problem they had, as Ena's depressed comment reminded them.

And the survivors are important too... I wonder why we can't find any of them. Area 6 is the only place we haven't searched yet, right?
Yeah... It really is... kinda strange that we still haven't found them.

They'd already finished searching over 80% of the facility. Meaning the survivors were either somewhere the group didn't know, or were already dead.

(Is there any place we overlooked? Are their bodies there...?)

The air grew heavily still as if Watase's sentiments had spread to everyone else.

...At any rate, we're done searching Area 5. Let's move on to Area 6...'

The group nodded gravely at those words.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Factory: 09/16/2030, 11:56

The Procyon's alarm didn't go off, meaning they didn't have to worry about radiation here. And when they cleared the passageway--

They found themselves face to face with a bizarre room.

...!?

Watase was speechless at the sight he was staring at. The room was more like something out of a factory instead of a research facility. Large machines, forklifts, cranes, and mountains of materials were lined up.

It appeared that the room covered both B1 and B2.

What the hell is this place...!?
This is the development block, nicknamed the 'Factory'. This is my first time here too... but I never imagined the damage would be this bad.

The machines there had been burned to hell and back, just as Ukita said. The ladder leading up to the catwalks had been warped horribly, leaving them unreachable.

Looks like the fire here was really bad...

Just as Watase muttered that--

We hear some creaking.

It looks like the ceiling's collapsing too, doesn't it... Be careful everyone, it's still a bit dangerous.

Jun then checked her Procyon.

The reading is-- '3711 mSv'. Still within the safety standard.

And we now immediately get dropped into a new chapter because we're on the path to a bad end. So, get ready for some death.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Obnubilation

If they didn't find any soon, all of LABO would probably turn into a contaminated zone for them. That hopeless situation was the one thing they wanted to avoid at all costs.

There's only 30 minutes left until the effects of the AD run out. Let's split up and look for some.
Which means we should make the factory our focal point for the search, correct? This is where they supposedly make the AD, so some of it might have survived the fire.

Come to think of it, Kazami had mentioned a while back that AD had been given to them by LABO staff members.

But won't trying to find one of those in this wreck be like trying to find a needle in a haystack?
True. And we've gotta search the inner ring from head to toe as well.

They didn't have time to keep discussing the matter, so Watase instantly made a decision.

Got it, then I'll search the inner ring by myself. Everyone else will check the factory.

Watase said that and headed off to the inner ring by himself.

(--No, calm down. You still haven't checked B1 yet.)

Watase headed for the stairwell so he could go up. He opened the fireproof door--

(Dammit, we don't have time for this!)

His watch said ''11:58 AM''-- Only 20 minutes were left until the AD were off.

(Do I have to go back up an elevator shaft again? No--)

Watase took out the 10 meter rope he'd been carrying this whole time and tied the end to the debris lying on the ground. He then tossed it up, and it caught on the handrail of the still intact landing of B1.

(--Okay, here I go!)

OK, show of hands, how many people thought that Watase was going to die right there?

(Tch, I wasted too much time...)

Watase cursed himself and ran off again to begin the search anew. But his searching ended without yielding anything--

(I hope Tachibana and the others found AD...)

Watase ran through the connecting passageway to the factory with anxiety in his heart-- but just then...

!!!???

Watase shuddered at the roar that'd come from straight ahead.

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

Kazami and the others were surrounding it.

What's wrong!? What happened!?

He ran over to the group to find everyone, including Kazami, staring at a pile of debris that stood in the middle of the dust. No one paid any heed to Watase's question-- none of them even reacted to him.

Hey, Tachibana! Tell me what happened!

Just then, Kazami answered in an absentminded voice.

Ms. Yuuri's... by the time we noticed, it was too late...

Watase looked down at the debris to find a giant pool of blood seeping out from under it. It then finally hit him that Yuuri was not among the ''four'' people there.

*sob*... Yuuri... Yuuri...
Why... why did something like this happen...?
We got so caught up in looking for AD that we...
I... I should have noticed it was dangerous...
(N-no, no, this isn't for real, is it...?)

But as soon as he understood the situation, something in Watase snapped, and he ran over to the bottom of the debris.

Yuuri! Please, Yuuri, answer me! --You dumbasses! What the hell are you all standing there for!? Help me save Yuuri!

It was then that Jun, the one who'd normally be in Watase's shoes at the moment, spoke sadly.

It's hopeless, Captain... that huge pile of rubble came falling from the ceiling... Yuuri was right under it... so...

Jun's words painted out her sobs.

N-no... dammit-- DAMMIIIIIIIIIIIT!

The group then just stood where they were for what felt like an eternity. Eventually, Kazami's watch alarm went off.

Did you find any AD...?

Kazami silently shook her head. It was then that the Procyon began to beep. The reading was now precisely at ''4000 mSv''-- Watase's skin quickly started growing numb, and his head began aching.

Let's go... we're all done for if we stay here. Let's go find AD first. Besides, we still have to find Natsuhiko and his friends.

The group then started searching the facility all over again starting from Area 1.

It wasn't long before even his pace gradually grew weak. Despite that, the group had to keep wandering the facility to find AD and the survivors. Eventually, they noticed Ukita was gone.

Hey... where'd... the old man go...?

His head hurt so much that even thinking was a Herculean task for him. But it appeared that it was the same for everyone else.

That's odd... He was with us... just a few minutes ago, wasn't he...?
Yeah... he was there... a short while ago... right... Ms. Tsubakiyama...?

Ena didn't answer Jun's question.

Teach...?

Ena then falls unconscious.

His nausea was so bad that he couldn't even open his mouth.

Hey... we'll fiiind that A... AD for suure thiis time, riiight...?

Jun's speech was now considerably slurred.

Kazami carried her on her back and spoke.

Captain... at this rate, we'll suffer the same fate...

...I know. Watase tried to say that, but the only thing that came out of his mouth was a faint noise that sounded like a sigh. Watase and Kazami were soon no longer in any condition to carry people.

They'd left Jun and Ena in some room, but they couldn't remember where that was. All they knew was that they felt like hell and that their heads felt as though they were on the verge of splitting.

Watase got caught in the blast and was knocked away. His body was incredibly sluggish. He sat up and looked around him, but Kazami was nowhere to be found. His mind was a total void.

(Huh...? Why am I alone...? I... I can't take this anymore...)

Watase started walking as blood dripped down his right arm. A piece of debris like a thin, sharp knife was impaling it. He hadn't noticed his wound at all. It must have happened at some point earlier. It felt like the pain wasn't even his own.

(What... the hell... am I doing again...? Oh... right... I need... to find AD...)

Watase suddenly lost his sense of balance.

It hurt, of course, but that no longer mattered to him. ...I don't need these... Watase no longer needed his body, his senses, his thoughts, or his memories. He just wanted one thing. ...AD... That was the only thing Watase craved... ...but before long, he no longer needed that either...

...this was not the more ridiculous bad end I was promised, or hoping for.

...we'll do better next time.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TheMcD posted:

Ms. Yuuri's... by the time we noticed, it was too late...

:saddowns: Yeesh

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

"Safety first"

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Yeesh. TPK.

Though, considering what radiation does to a person and how it kills them, I'd hazard to say that Yuuri was probably the lucky one in this bad end.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah death by radiation is just about the worst way to go. Yuuri was the lucky one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hey McD these scenes with Jun, if we had a better relationship with one of the other girls would we be getting these scenes with them instead?

I ask cause this is a Japanese character game and thus I assume at some point the game will tell us which girl our character ends up with cause well frankly they all basically end up like that.

• Locked thread