Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

TheMcD posted:

(Communicator A may indeed have been a dangerous being-- But LABO as it is now isn't creating any monsters! And of course, there's no way in hell that absurd story about them creating biological weapons is true, either...!)
Natsuhiko, did you miss the part where your mom was doing her best to make sure Yuuri was treated well? She's almost certainly the exception, not the rule.

Not that I trust this set of Watase's memories, but Natsuhiko doth protest too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Was für eine tolle Aktualisierung!

AlphaKretin posted:

It took me a second. :golfclap:
Alles ist normal. Worüber redest du?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

AweStriker posted:

First words of sentences and nouns. All nouns, no matter where they are.
Basically, think of it as writing some old-timey English where some Words get capitalized with an internal Logic that confuses modern Readers. Whereas modern English Speakers would only capitalize proper Nouns when they type out Posts or write Books or whatever.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
A vote for Watase is a vote for Natsuhiko probably not getting exploded with terrorist martial arts.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

TheMcD posted:

...That's just another result of Senses Sympathy. Though its form and volume may vary, everyone holds some kind of malice in their minds, no excepfione You'd be surprised at just how many people out there hate and discriminate against Communicators. ...Malice is harder to get rid of than you'd think, and it just keeps building up and up. It wormed its way into my mind little by little. The malice of 351 people completely contaminated my mind. And thus I became pure 'malice' itself.
Meanwhile, I'm here as the typo nitpick brigade. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Going with Watase.

TheMcD posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about. There is no typo there.
Huh, weird. And where did that floral scent come from?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Nightmare's end: 09/16/2030, 18:15 posted:

a ''Case N'' was declared inside LABO. What happened within LABO's walls after that remains largely a mystery. But Sirius communication logs reveal that at the very least, three squad members were conducting rescue efforts as late as 12:20 PM. Then at 6:17 PM, a large-scale explosion occurred in LABO’s core. Two minutes later, the bulkhead that partitioned the surface and basement areas of LABO opened up.

Die Zauberflöte: The Magic Flute: 09/16/2030, 07:14 posted:

The bomb went off at the right time(1817/6:17pm), but the lockdown was lifted after the explosion for some reason.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Ukita, because basically everyone(including Yuuri, who's Always Right for plot reasons) said we should.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

I'll be careful this time to make sure she doesn't corrode me like she did back when I encountered her in Watase's memory.
Oops, I let my guard down and she almost corroded me!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
On the other hand she likes cars and jazz, so she can't be that bad, right? :downs:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Sure getting a lot of Nagito & Friends Only Not vibes from this group. A shy child whisked away into LABO, someone (almost) getting a delusion that said communicator was still there, a kid who's really into heroes and justice, a kid unloved by parents, etc.

I'd write it off as coincidence, but this game always makes you wonder.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

CirclMastr posted:

Can't wait to see how Natsuhiko gets easily duped yet again.
"OK, this time I am for real not going to let my guard down around her."

"Whoa, I made the mistake of letting her talk at all and she almost got me! How does this keep happening?!"

(I really don't get why he doesn't erase N the instant he finds her, other than the usual Natsuhikoing.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
On the bright side, the axe murderer memories they gave Salyu came in handy here. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Don't worry, it'll turn out that Communicator A infected her with malice so nothing that happened in the years since is her fault. :downs:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Did nothing wrong:
-Ukita
-Watase

Didn't do anything wrong until the lockdown incident:
-Natsuhiko

Did everything wrong:
-Mashiro
-Miyoko

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
"I totally care about you even though all of my actions prove otherwise" is an apt summary of Miyoko, really.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
"There are terrorists around! It's my job, as a teenaged anime, to solve this! Now watch as I get angry when my friend doesn't agree, then race off to probable death on my own!"

OK, sure, it's the only reason we're in LABO solving all these mysteries(which will presumably lead to everything being all better in the end), but what she did was still loving stupid.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Well, at least this stopped before Salyu become a completely empathy-less shell of a person? :shepface:

Funny how nobody seemed to stop and go "you know, maybe having dozens of people's memories crammed into one person's brain might gently caress them up a bit? Maybe we should monitor that more closely?"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
If anything, I'd armchair psychiatrist more towards "extreme isolation and emotional neglect leading to stunted socialziation" than towards autism. Especially since LABO apparently decided Salyu's empathy/etc had gotten worse through the experiments, instead of it being the way she was all along.

So basically a combination of what McD and TheOneandOnlyT said.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

TheMcD posted:

For some reason, Natsuhiko got horribly caught up on those words. For some reason, Natsuhiko got horribly caught up on those words.
Is there an echo in here? Echo in here?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Well that sure was a convenient way to bring everyone up to speed at the same time.

It definitely won't cause any more weird BC ghosts like the ones we heard of Natsuhiko a few updates ago.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Vote Watase. Vote hilarious death.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Option B. Watase & Natsuhiko are our main protagonists, so that means they need to stick together here. Probably.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
"The information energy can be raised to extremely high concentrations?" The best ending is going to involve BC ghosts again, isn't it? :shepface:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Watase. The McD is going way out of his way to convince us otherwise, so that means we just have to vote for Watasemania more!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

TheMcD posted:

See, the problem with sacrificing Mashiro is that Salyu will murder you for suggesting it.
But if you frame it as what's needed for justice, Mashiro will just charge into it without thinking. It's foolproof! :downs:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
There has to be an epilogue, right? They wouldn't just let it end with "oh, huh, I was lied to. Welp, here's to the future of connecting hearts and minds or whatever.", right?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

David Corbett posted:

Nothing says "wholesome" like a four-way love triangle between you, your childhood friend and enabler, a woman whom you primarily know as a hallucination, and a fourteen-year-old girl who was kept locked up as a science experiment and test subject for >90% of her life.
But see, Natsuhiko saw their memories, which is just as good as building healthy relationships with each of them. :downs:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The spirit was the player all along. :tinfoil:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Well it is the ultimate special edition extra bonus scenes. It'd be weirder if it didn't break your immersion in the name of content. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Honestly if it was just the grey hair, I could handwave it as anime hair color weirdness. But no, he's clearly got male pattern baldness going on too.

Whit27 posted:

I''ll never really understand why ages in anime/jrpgs sometimes seem to be written from the perspective of a 12 year old.
Because most of the time the target audience is 12 year olds(or people with the maturity levels of one). :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm torn between :3: and "hey guys, did you know that Mashiro is A TOMBOY and NOT VERY FEMININE? Let's repeat it 5 times just to make sure!".

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Finally, the most important mystery has been solved. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

TheMcD posted:

You know, for the personal Senses voting that I'm going to have at the end of the LP (like we did back at the end of Route Before), I'm thinking about adding a "honorable / dishonorable mention" category for side characters (which is totally not so I get an opportunity to swoon over Subject N).

I think I can imagine how the "dishonorable" part is going to go.
So can I. Who could ever forget how rude those random kids were, blaring their BC music to innocent brains during lunch? The scoundrels!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

TheMcD posted:

Out of all the lines in this game, I think "I will execute that command in order to acquire peaceful bathtime" is one of those that will really stick with me.
Salyu is just the best. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Haifisch posted:

Watase Kasasagi - 5. He seems like a key part of understanding the plot, and has a lot of vaguely-hinted backstory to cover. On the other hand, he's a goddamn terrorist.

Kazami Tachibana - 6. She's level-headed enough to trust her, but not super interesting.

Jun Moribe - 8. Very likeable all around, assuming she gets over her murdering spree.

Yuuri Kotono - 4. She's mysterious and all, but I honestly don't care that much about her either way as a character. She'd be ranked lower if she didn't seem like another key plot character.

Ena Tsubakiyama - 7. She's pretty rad, although obviously hiding something.

Keiji Ukita - 0. Because gently caress him.

Natsuhiko Tenkawa - 7. Natsuhiko Did Nothing Wrong, although the game doesn't see it that way.

Mashiro Toba - 1. She's an impulsive brat. Her only saving grace is that she legitimately cares for others, but it takes more than that to get high Senses in a life-or-death scenario.

Louise Yui Sannomiya - 8. Route:Before really sold me on her.

Yuuri Kotono - 0 Ugh. I can't loving stand the "too weak-willed to make their own decisions or stand up for themselves" character type. She spends more of her time deferring to whatever the guys/adults around her want(or what she thinks they want) than actually doing stuff. The only reason she's here in the first place is as the big plot point/mystery surrounding a different character. If she was a real person I'd be yelling at her to get some therapy so she starts valuing herself instead of constantly sacrificing herself for others.

Mashiro Toba - 1. Still a pretty weak character whose only role in the story is "token cheerful girl/love interest". Maintaining the lie was slightly less ridiculous when Miyoko and Yuuri were conspiring to keep it that way too, but that's about all I can say for her.

Keiji Ukita - 2 He...existed, I guess. He became more sympathetic after we got to see his backstory, and I actually agreed with a lot of what he did, but he just wasn't that impactful to the story.

Watase Kasasagi - 3 I get what he was going for, but drat he could have stood to stop and think a minute. Also dived into shady assholery after his sister died..

Natsuhiko Tenkawa - 4 OK, he did a few things wrong. How the hell did he fall for Subject N's poo poo multiple times? Still, most of the things he did 'wrong' pre-LABO imprisonment were actually other people's faults.

Ena Tsubakiyama - 5 The most levelheaded of the bunch, and a badass to boot.

Jun Moribe - 6 Best buddy, good role in the story, good character

Kazami Tachibana - 7 Interesting character, big role in the story. I like that she's managed to be both heroic and antagonistic without turning into a flat character or cliche - something many other characters couldn't manage.

Louise Yui Sannomiya - 8 The real MVP. Gets things done, actively trying to improve herself.

Honorable Mention: Subject N. Her storyline was executed extremely well, especially compared to...

SSNeoman posted:

Dishonorable mention: Miyoko Tenkawa So hey remember how I called Yuuri's martyr complex "self-serving"? Multiply that by 5 for Miyoko. I said it before, but I despise this VN trope. It's rarely, if ever, executed well and the character who is vindicated by it never learns their lesson. Miyoko is even worse though because she knows she's hurting Natsuhiko. She knows their relationship is rocky. But she does nothing. We never see how the two drifted apart, which would have helped a lot. Seeing Natsuhiko live with a ghost must heart-wrenching for a mother and she probably sees her deceased husband in her son. But she does nothing. Several characters remark how she is throwing way too much of herself into her work in lieu of spending time with her son. But she does nothing. Everything is she does and justifies to herself seems tailor-made to make herself feel better about her mistakes, her organization's mistakes and so on. I just don't feel a single bit of care coming from her throughout 95% of the story. Then in the climax she comes in and suddenly she cares and has a plan to get the heroes out of their predicament. My, how convenient.
Seconding this for my dishonorable mention. The whole "I was doing all this research for you!" schtick doesn't work when she's leaving her son to rot in the meantime. She just spends a lot of time wringing her hands over how she really wishes she could do something & has good intentions, but never does anything hereself.

• Locked thread