Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Jokes aside, I think you're right on one thing - I don't think case n stands for nuclear. I'm not sure we're dealing with a nuclear disaster at all. That n might have more to do with another n we've seen: neuroscience. We know about telepathy/BC (ha ha before crime) and we know the students are all BC users. We should now suspect that Yuuri is a powerful psychic too. And that there may be at least one more powerful psychic in the facility based on the migraine attacks. Then there is the dead girl. She and Yuuri are probably research subjects. And the Procyons? Those were supplied by LABO. There's no reason to trust them completely. They may be measuring something other than Sv units despite the display readings. Lastly, Alone Desire. Isn't that desire alone explanation terribly shoddy? Perhaps it's actually named for the desire to be alone. A drug that blocks BC or other external mental intrusions. The effects our survivors have experienced might be neurological and psychological in nature too. The only thing to give me pause on that account is wastage vomiting blood, but he has already sustained a significant amount of bodily trauma. AD being a psychic inhibitor would explain why it is effective so quickly, why Yuuri is violently against it, and why the students may be getting along fine without it. Dosing Yuuri may be preventing her from contacting other BC users including but not limited to the students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, I also think the symptoms our survivors have displayed so far may not be related to acute radiation poisoning. Still, that's only a hypothesis.

Here's the wiki on radiation syndrome: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_radiation_syndrome The main reason I've been wondering about this is because no one has had any noted skin change beyond turning pale (which could be any number of things). I'd expect burns from Gy serious enough to cause headaches. You can start getting skin irritation from as relatively little as 0.35 Gy according to the article. Our team has had significantly more exposure than that for certain, and some of that happened when their AD doses were wearing off - given that AD only stays at therapeutic levels in the body for 1 hr, the half life of the drug must be pretty short...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

OddHaberdasher posted:

Oh poo poo, NOW we gettin' to da reel pseudoscience ma bois. Is it possible that this thing they were trying to do would be trying to make a 'consciousness without form' sort of thing? Or maybe a 'groupmind'? Or, or, if we gonna REALLY get with the crazy, maybe CirclMastr was right.

Think about it: Information is dark matter, so it is constantly expanding the universe. This means information doesn't decrease, it is always increasing. In the game, science can now devise ways of interacting with the information field without needing to rely on intermediaries, or at least attempt to. Finally, 'memories' are explicitly 'fragments of information' making up the informational field we call consciousness.
Conclusion: LABO is conducting experiments to bring back the 'information' of dead people back into a consciousness, therefore, ghosts.

EDIT: My god, we aren't getting irradiated,we're getting inundated with ectoplasmic energy!

Consciousness transfer of some sort is probably not too far off the mark!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Logicblade posted:

This isn't a nuclear lab at all, it's a BC Lab. It all makes sense. No wonder people aren't instantly dying from accumulated radiation, they're being hit by... well whatever the gently caress BC radiation is. The voice in Watase's head is telling him not to think too deeply because he's making more of it when he does. ... or something. That means the AD they've been injecting isn't an anti radiation drug, but an anti BC drug. So that might explain why Yuuri (a child and probable Esper) is so drat reluctant to take it.

Ha! One more won over to the psychic spillover hypothesis.

:kamina:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

OddHaberdasher posted:

But, if that's the case, why is it that in the flashbacks we've seen so far (and considered to be true for lack of other options), when Watase first met Yuuri he learned her identity and then gave her directions to safety? It'd be one thing if the flashbacks stopped at the point he learned her name, but he actively, if not saved her, then put her in a situation to save herself (pretty sure that's how it happened, have not gone back to check). Meddling Kids confirmed for Meddling, Ena's 'school trip' story refuted.

TL;DR My Sense for Watase is still high

She also said he did something cruel to her, which confuses me. I'm not sure if the cruel thing went unsaid or if I just misunderstood/skimmed some element of that scene.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, Ena. I mean, I kinda suspected, like most everyone else, that she either isn't or isn't merely a teacher, but :drat:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
"Discard" isn't the same as "dispose", and memory recovery might not have anything to do with a clone receiving uploaded memories from an original or previous copy (and a clone would have the same genetic insufficiency, right?). So if they discarded a damaged subject after ascertaining that they didn't have the right gene, whatever tests or experiments they performed on that subject might have resulted in cognitive impairments. They perhaps haven't discarded a human subject before and aren't sure what the consequences for that former subject will be. That subject is probably not the dead Yuuri (that's just a hunch -- this corpse's new, right? why would it be atop rubble if she was killed before the LABO disaster?). The discarded subject could be Watase or whoever is possessing (?) Watase, given the memory problems our protag is facing.

efb

also, I think Ena might actually be an investigator of some stripe rather than a psycho murderer or heh teacher.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

tiistai posted:

I took the "radio" talk to mean she might have been receiving psychic messages, probably something unpleasant about Watase.

Yeah, that not at all innocent conversation was pretty clearly this.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

OddHaberdasher posted:

I could see this going on with Ena dead, but you don't kill off people before you have an actual Sense choice with them, so unless these kids are REAL good at faking death, this is bad end confirmed. Maybe, just maybe, if Ena is willing to do this for us, we should trust her.

EDIT: Just to up the angst factor, Watase is going to shoot Salyu, I bet.

To be fair, if someone is trying to split your head open with an axe, shooting them is not unreasonable. I wish we could get a glimpse of Subject N before we hit the end of this path, though. I hope we do.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

OddHaberdasher posted:

Course he has something to do with it, he's on the watch list, but I harbor serious doubts he is the Subject N unless things went bad very recently before the 'fire'.

I'm with you on this.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, I can see him having studied martial arts in the past, but it'd be pretty easy to be uncomfortable handling a gun. Especially one you've not handled before.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

On the other hand:

This assumes the Watase now is the same Watase as then. I'm not sure of that yet. :tinfoil:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
"Salyu" weirds me out too, tbh, but there is so much other bizarre poo poo here that a wonky nickname barely registers.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Jesus. :stonk: That's grim. Is this the end of this particular path? I don't feel like very much was revealed, just more questions. I was hoping to learn a bit more about Ukita at the very least.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm guessing either Kazami or Watase is the observation target in Sirius. I think it may actually be Kazami (mysterious dead sister, remember) rather than Watase, so I'm setting my senses high for her, I guess...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I don't yet feel that Ukita's really a villain/minion. There's so much going on that he just strikes me more as a scapegoat, a pawn someone's playing against Watase. Obviously this may be proven incorrect on our next run and Ukita's truly a rat bastard.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm glad Ena became more sympathetic on this path, even if she also simultaneously managed to get more suspicious.

I wonder if everything we've seen has even been real? How much of this stuff might actually be visual disturbances induced by the ~ ghost reactor ~?

e: also wanted to say I've rated the thread a :five:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:wtf: Asphyxiating people is not a safe way to render them unconscious. There's no safe way to do that. And leaving an unconscious person unsupervised is dangerous as hell for them -- what the christ, Watase?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
he's already brain damaged and we lamp-shaded some other dumb tropes so why not this one :cripes: for the love of amine whyyy

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Cyouni posted:

To be fair, it is slightly safer than having her wandering around with people trying to kill her - see what happened in Normal End. And you totally know she'd follow Watase out if she had the chance.

They'd probably be safer if they went together instead of splitting the party. Teamwork! :argh:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Wait, if Natsuhiko's BCusing Watase, and he and Salyu are buds, why doesn't he just BCtell Salyu to stop trying to axe murder Watase?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
So my grip on heat is pretty weak. 53 C is about 106 F right? Putting aside heat injuries that don't include burns, does anyone know what kind of trauma in what timeframe we are looking at for full body immersion in that water?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Logicblade posted:

Actually it's about 127 F, so that's pretty rough for air temperatures alone.

Oh, that's significantly more. Based on that, I found this paper which includes a time to scald chart from the American Burn Association. Three minutes of exposure at 52 C (per the chart) for a 3rd degree burn. Yikes.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Gridlocked posted:

Ahh so what they thought was radiation being detected on their tablets was actually these WX particles.

Finally, I was right about something. :unsmith:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

HydroSphere posted:

I'll vote for A, moving on to Root B straight away. Simply because we know we'll get new information in Root B, whereas we might not get that in the friendship and bad ending scenes in Root A.

Yup. A change of pace is nice.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
It's his signature wrestling move. Unfortunately he doesn't remember that he was banned from wrestling murder.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

tiistai posted:

Oh, I guess we might not have gotten a point for either of the girls if they had both been at the same value.

Personally I would've preferred trying to gain Yuuri's favor but it doesn't really matter as long as we get someone's.

I was wondering why Yuuri stays home, but let's see. I bet there was a line somewhere stating exactly why and I'm just wasting my time.

I guess this simply means Mashiro and Natsuhiko are second year high school students and Yuuri already graduated.

I'm hoping it means Yuuri's a graduate and either already in college or working towards the exams, ronin-style, rather than being a creepy shut-in waifu analogue.

e. I should say also that I appreciate that Mashiro actually gets paid to come cook for Natsuhiko and this isn't a 100% true to form ~ girl next door cooks for me, my harem is complete ~ thing.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Or that you're a rebel/delinquent with bleached hair. Naughty!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Anime or not, it's batshit to seriously ask one young kid to protect another kid from weird poo poo happening in your technocratic surveillance state.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Because she's a kid who probably has some severe social and emotional difficulties thanks to how the adults around her probably treated her as her prodigious abilities developed. Which is why it's still weird to burden someone who's physically and psychologically immature with the protection of another person.

:words: anime anime anime

Mom is the worst character so far. She's the most suspicious one! This ghost reactor business is her fault, mark my words.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Don't forget the Persona crossover where the after school special lesson is that cruel or intrusive thoughts don't necessarily reflect one's full feelings about someone and don't have to translate into evil actions, and that honest communication and quality time with your fam can stop eldritch evils and ghost reactors cold.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Welp.

I'm not a big fan of "the ordinary world" part of most stories' set up, and that holds here, but I do like that the writer(s) worked on spicing it up. I appreciate their effort here.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Alright.

Top Yuuri, Salyu
High Mashiro, Natsuhiko

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
A sincere heart blah blah blah power of friendship. BEFRIEND EVERYONE, EVEN UKITA.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
All adults are evil, especially adults in positions of official authority.

In another VN LP, I think there was some discussion about the elements of style prized in Japanese literature vs. Western literature, particularly in repetition vs. novelty. Does anyone recall the specifics?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Today's BC conversation brought to you by The Lucifer Principle and the Two Truths Doctrine.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
So Salyu has a sort of specialized support "animal" to compensate for her poor social skills. I wonder if the condition is related to autism, or if it's related to how she was brought up. Though I suppose the story probably won't get into that.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

I can vouch for the deliciousness of Chaliapin steak.

:same: And Chaliapin-style cube steak is also divine.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Ghost reactors. :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Mashiro is real into cardio, okay?

• Locked thread