Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wow that's a seriously new twist. Kazami and Watase were a couple.

And look at best buddy Jun being a wingman :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Awww :3: That was really cute

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Keep in mind she's in rage virus mode. It's totally possible that they simply had a professional relationship.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seriously how anyone ever trusted Ukita I will never know.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Top for both

No reason to smack into a wall right from the get-go.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

asymmetrical posted:

My knee-jerk reaction from Mashiro's character art was to dislike her - I figured she'd be the peppy kawaii archetype. But this update in particular really made me like her. She's got some sass.

She's got some peepers that you can use as a mirror though goddamn

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh bullshit game. A cold girl we have no reason to like, know or trust starts living with us and you expect us to just accept her? What's the point of this system then?

Bah okay

Natsuhiko Low
TopYuuri
Top Mashiro
Top Salyu

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That was terrible. By far the worst piece of dialogue in this game jesus christ.

I've seen machine translations that sound more natural.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You're not giving us a lot of reasons to trust her, Yuuri. If you know what's going on, share with the class.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

OddHaberdasher posted:

While I don't feel comfortable saying such a condition doesn't exist, my desire to try and fit everything together leads me to believe her difficulties are caused by something on the order of 'had her powerful and unconscious empathy skills she'd been using her whole life sealed away'.

Yeah that's what I'm expecting too.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm honestly more interested in what happened between the telepathic confessor and the teacher.

Though yeah, Yuuri is the demons

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

High Natsuhiko, top everyone else

And I dunno why the game is being a poo poo to Natsuhiko. Mashiro is in the wrong here. This isn't one of her Japanese animes, terrorism is serious poo poo. Like if she really wanted a confrontation then she should have had a plan. I don't know why Yuuri is giving us a huge loving guilt trip over this, especially since this sort of foolhardiness got us killed in the other route.

I'm glad the game resolved the thing with the couple.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

TheMcD posted:

That's the thing though - that's exactly why Natsuhiko is wrong in his mindset. His mindset is to place safety above everything, but that means not getting involved with that situation. And not getting involved in the situation means that Mashiro is going to die because she's way in over her head. Mashiro needs him now, and Natsuhiko isn't seeing that. That's what Yuuri wants to get through to him - there are people that need him other than her, but he's rejecting them all in favor of her.

Cyouni posted:

Suffice it to say: Mashiro isn't an idiot. Trust in Mashiron.

Also he's not avoiding dealing with it because it's dangerous, he's avoiding dealing with it because he doesn't want to reach beyond his little bubble.

I dunno, I don't get that vibe myself. Like despite how much we're in Natsuhiko's head he hasn't shown to be much of a wimp and has been level-headed in almost every situation. Like okay he likes his peaceful life but so what? Mashiro is almost autistic in how much she prizes kid-Natsuhiko and doesn't seem to understand or value his feelings despite obviously liking him a lot. Like he's dealing with a PTSD Yuuri and a cold absentee mother who treats him like a lab experiment. I don't blame him for not trying to play hero.
Ah well whatever, we're following the railroad anyway let's just get to the end so we can see what the deal in LABO is. I don't like this route tbh, it's a huge letdown compared to rootAfter. We don't really have choices here so much as we're led by the nose.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Finally! Thank you, Salyu.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mashiro really could have avoided all this, yeah.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Really if they cut the bits apart and re-arranged them I think I'd be way more sympathetic to Mashiro and Salyu.

quote:

And Natsuhiko lost the motivation to train his BC ability as well. For if one day, he were to become able to read Yuuri's mind... And what he saw there was resentment towards him, then he...! He would probably never recover. While he did want to know what was in her heart, his fear of actually knowing far outweighed his curiosity to know. So instead-- he swore at the very least to watch over her. Even if his oath was worth nothing more than a pittance of atonement. Even if staying by her side had nothing to do with actually understanding her.

Hey you know what would have made a fantastic flashback? this bit right here. Show, don't tell.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 1, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's cause of AD. It's used to prevent psychic powers from affecting people, apparently.

Also hey mom. Don't suppose you're gonna do something besides being angry and cryptic?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

gently caress yeah go Natsuhiko. gently caress your absentee parent "I did it all for you...!" martyrdom.

God shut up Mashiro. Natsuhiko laid everything out about this and the best you can do is "you hurt her feewings..." you're the worst loving friend.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah just wait until the game tries to Kojima us. "Oh no the absentee mother was actually busy saving the world from a BC nuke, don't you feel like an rear end in a top hat now??"
It's jp vn so I expect filial loyalty to be strong here, and if only Natsuhiko had empathy and perspective he would understand that shouganai

It's the worst thing. This bullshit "I gave you money respect and love me beep boop" is just an excuse people use to be bad parents.

quote:

And she even realizes this! She knows she's in the wrong and she said that poo poo anyway!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Danaru posted:

We still never figured out who that girl that BC'd Watase in the mirror that time was, have we? I feel like something should have come up by now

I checked who it was and I noticed a scene that was familiar.
Seems the terrorist Mashiro empathy'd might be our old pal Watase Kasasagi. Or at the very least he is familiar with the terrorists.

Haifisch posted:

Natsuhiko: I'm not touching that fire. It will burn my hand.
Everyone in the game: Whoa, Natsuhiko, what happened to the little boy with such child-levels of self control bravery?? You really need to touch that fire. For reasons. God, stop being wrong all the time.

What annoys me the most is that Mashiro of all people is the one doing this the most. Like she understands Natsuhiko better than anyone and she can use empathy but she totally ignores his feelings anyway. She's really on the fast track on becoming my least favorite character in the game.

Mister Olympus posted:

It's going to be that, tho

Yeah that's what I meant by the game trying to Kojima us. The vn will prob make her out as a misunderstood martyr and whoah don't we feel silly now (No. No I do not.)
Either that or perhaps Natsuhiko isn't even her kid and she's just collecting powerful psychic children. Note that she doesn't even really give a poo poo how he is in our bad After ending.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 9, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hahahaha Natsuhiko is the Event.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That is true yeah. Okay I think I get the gag now.

Rokumei is a city which is trying to normalize living with people who have BC. LABO is actually a BC detention center where kids who go nuts due to BC get sent to and I imagine they try and make them better (or...not...). This is because the kids who go crackers probably RAGE VIRUS people due to their out-of-control powers. That would explain why LABO has its self-sealing door plan. Evidently they decided to create a BC amplifier and decided to stick it down there for reasons I can't figure out yet, and prob stuck one of the kids in there. They might've intended said kid to work as a BC relay or something. I'm guessing Yuuri was the intended user but from the looks of things someone took her out and replaced her with one of those insane kids. Natsuhiko and co prob stumble inside the facility just as the rescue team are investigating a terrorist attack. One of the nutso kids gets loose and everyone goes insane and starts killing each other. Natsuhiko might actually be okay due to his latent BC ability, at least at first, but when Kasasagi tries to attack him he basically MIND CRUSHES him. Cue after route.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

He's definitely central to the incident, whatever it is.

I mean we know LABO has nothing to do with nuclear power and I'm pretty certain Q has no idea either.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I honestly thought the game would punk out about Watase being a terrorist but no it really went for it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Jesus it really took its sweet time getting to this point. loving look at this poo poo. Look how many updates it took us to get the crew from the checkpoint and into Tenkawa's office.

Mashiro is still the worst. Salyu has grown on me I admit.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Of course they're doing the "your mom really cared about you all along, Natsuhiko!" thing. Because that totally makes up for her being an absentee parent. And Natsuhiko immediately buys it, because Japan.

It's so loving transparent too. Like I know we're prob gonna get some dark backstory but come the gently caress on Mashiro you can do better than "your mom loves you Natsuhiko! Afyer all she hoisted all her responsibilities onto me! Aren't I good housewife material?"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

...you guys realize how utterly monstrous mashiro is in this context yes?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Okay I get it now, this game is actually a comedy.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

But for 9 years? Like I'd try something else by year 3

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And Mashiro's master plan after finding a terrorist is to get her delusional friend to come help her out and catch him! That'll snap him right out!

Seriously put this to Yackety Sax and it becomes loving hilarious.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

No I don't buy it. I can't believe that the best a town full of psychic researchers can do is Family Therapy for 9 goddamn years.

OddHaberdasher posted:

I suppose that this also explains why Nat's mum is so distant. Bearing the guilt of being just too late to save your sons friend must be hard, and then spending the years afterward having to play along with your son's delusions or risk panic attacks (symptoms of which include heart palpitations, mind) must be a tremendous burden. I don't think it's healthy nor do I agree with the situation at all, but the situation is dreadfully understandable.

Understandable is a strong word. Her actions definitely made Natushiko worse off, and leaving everything to Mashiro is irresponsible. Since the condition is supposedly that bad, what if Natsuhiko had an attack after she left?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 16, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I really want more of a resolution, this was really not worth the build up. And I'm a giant sap but that scene did nothing for me. I don't know if it's funny or creepy.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

The man's distorted thoughts were swirling with tremendous hatred and killing intent. The visions of the memories floating about were likewise warped, ruined, and teeming with malice. --The man's mind was devoted to hatred towards Communicators. Resentment, indignation, lament, murderous rage. All sorts of negative emotions. Natsuhiko even felt the man's unadulterated emotions that could be neither verbalized, nor visualized.

Rage Virus confirmed

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

These are sadly way more dull than the scenes in After. We're kind of retreading the same ground instead of learning bombshells like "Watase and Kazami were an item"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I guess Natsuhiko's mom figured something out!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well let's start from the bottom:

0: Ukita

He is a total gently caress and by far the shadiest person in our entire crew and that's before he got rage-virus'd. He also kills all the cool people so fukhim. He's definitely the closest thing we have to a villain.

1: Mashiro

She's devoted to Natushiko but I just can't trust her not to do something stupid. Natushiko may have appreciated all the lies she told him, but I don't. Despite spending all her time inside Natushiko's head, she really doesn't understand him at all. I dunno if that's part of her character or just bad writing. Yeah gently caress it bad end me for this

2: Yuuri

Directly responsible for Watase's death several times, also a ghost. Not to be trusted, but higher than Mashiro cause I wanna know what her deal is.

3: Watase

Terrorist turned amnesiac, also shot Natsuhiko. He's proven to be reliable and helpful, and genuinely seems to want people to get out of their predicament.

4: Ena

Seems to really know much more than she's letting on. I refuse to believe her about survival games and we still have no idea how she ended up in LABO. She didn't shoot anyone but is still suspicious.

5: Natsuhiko

:geno:

6: Salyu

Fine she grew on me. She's straightforward and dependable, though I don't appreciate how inorganically the game forced us to trust her. Still, she proved her worth so she takes this place.

7: Jun

Best buddy Jun is best buddy on both routes. But she got Rage Virus'd so we might wanna give her some space for now.

8: Kazami

The most level-headed person in the group and is extremely competent. I can't see her being involved in the conspiracy (though I have some suspicions) and she seems to genuinely wants to help. Cool and competent so she takes first place.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think what she means is that they were both very cold, no-nonesense people. I don't think terrorist Watase is what he was really like.

Remember the "monster communicators" become spreaders of madness, and Natsuhiko noted how unnatural Watase's mind was.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah AD is a BC suppressor after all.

So if we're now riding in Watase's mind, it's possible that the Rage Virus is another BC user. Maybe that girl in the elevator?

This Yuuri thing is throwing me for a loop though. Why isn't she affected by AD?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Just two more chapters left it seems. This clears up a few things, but we're still not getting some important questions answered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:stare: Jesus Christ Natsuhiko

• Locked thread