Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Oh, I read Uchikoshi post about this on Twitter but I never actually checked it out myself.

With him and some other authors in mind, the term "souls" instead of "people" or something sounded immediately suspicious, particularly after it was repeated. Seeing how that suspicion was pretty much immediately confirmed makes me wonder if it's even a real twist. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Kasasagi low
Moribe top

Just leave it to the professional and not the amnesiac who had a seemingly literally splitting headache a while ago. I know curly braces disagrees and the girls might not have a great opinion of us but it just doesn't seem wise.

It doesn't help that Yuuri seemed outright scared seeing our face.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Seems legit, top

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Stating pretty much the obvious here, but in the intro Watase seemed to be specifically looking for Yuuri and calling her "a person of interest to this lab" and yet she appears to be lying about why she's here. She's also eager to get the hell out but then again who wouldn't be in this situation.

Had we been voting here I would've gone for low for Yuuri.

And top for Jun because she's a cute suicide squad chief

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Watase was on a "mission" in the intro so him (plus Dojima and Hiyama?) somehow having high-level security clearance isn't too surprising if you assume that it involved more than just regular firefighting duties. After all, why is he in what seems to be Area N "at the end of his mission"? We saw two dead bodies too so it's not much of a stretch to assume these are their cards. As for the missing card, who knows at this point. My wild plot twist guess is that he never had one and the doors actually also have facial recognition sensors or something and we'll spend most of the game looking for cards when we actually could just waltz right through any door, anytime. :v:

What might be weirder is that Kazami and Jun don't seem to have gotten any cards of their own or even the memo about Watase's clearance level. Or maybe they did know, it's hard to tell whether Jun was giving a "subtle" hint or just honestly spitballing with that check your pockets comment.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

whitehelm posted:

The trip with Dojima and Hiyama to Area N is before the lockdown so that's fine, but the shot of the Area 5 hallway is after the lockdown, plus he returns to Area N where he meets the "monster" (it doesn't say it's another part of Area N but it definitely looks like a central area).

The place is initially in 'Evacuation Mode' where all gates except the Area N ones are open, so it's still not fine. Area N doors are at no point open without authorization.

I don't think the verdant place with the dead bodies is Area N at all though. For one, when guy 1 says "this is Area N" (when they're past/behind a gate), guy 2 says "those two are trapped just ahead" which kinda sounds like the two are not actually inside Area N. Not sure. Anyway, the narration there is jumping all over the place: in the next shot they seem to be in a fairly girly looking bedroom, the verdant room comes after that. I wonder if it all plays out in chronological order but it doesn't seem like there's reason to doubt that at the moment.

Extra trivia:
- Based on the colors of the monster's suit it might be the same uniform as what route B's perspective guy is wearing. WHO COULD IT BE
- The broken wristwatch is pointing at 6:19 sharp, the time of the explosion.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I'd put Watase at high, I get the feeling that having his self-esteem too low here is just going to get in the way of doing his job while putting it at the top might make him too rash. Agreed with putting the girls at the top.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

TheMcD posted:

Congratulations, tiistai!

Nice, I get to feel smart :toot:

TheMcD posted:

...somehow, the office went from disorganized to trim and tidy by having a higher Sense for Watase.

Yeah that's not suspicious at all. Like I thought this is looking more and more like it's the person we're playing as who's having amnesia, not Watase. Since telepathy-related psychic powers are nothing particularly special in this world, a possession doesn't even seem that strange. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if our Sense of Watase actually means something like "how much Watase am I".

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Rereading old updates is fine but I don't like rewatching this kind of opening videos so I won't.

The only thing I really got out of it was that Yuuri is special somehow which wasn't really new information anyways.

I wonder if Yuuri for some reason thinks she doesn't actually need the AD. I guess the alternative is that she's fixing to die. "Putting others before herself" sounds too easy. :v:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ProfessorProf posted:

First, this. Whatever happened immediately here, I don't think it was related to radiation poisoning.

Cool. "Something fading from your head" in a setting with psychics is pretty interesting. Does it lower "mental defenses" or something like that, like make people easier to be controlled? Whatever it is, I'm not yet entirely convinced it's bad for you, but that'll depend on whether Ukita does or doesn't actually know what it's really used for.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Logicblade posted:

I think in this circumstance we should have Watase's senses higher than Kazami's. If this works the way I think it does, he'll be more inclined to take the broken AD than Kazami. Considering he's a man with a stronger body, the radiation should have a lesser effect on him than Kazami.

Let's go Top for Watase, and Neutral for Kazami.

This is what I figured too. It seems like this is the first opportunity to start finding out what AD really does, so even if taking a small dose leads to death by radiation it's a route we should take.

Of course it's harder to tell what choice leads to that option, so I'll just agree with Logicblade on this one.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Forgot to vote, but a bad end is pretty much what I expected if our sense was too high. It's fine, this is a bad end I would have wanted to see either way.

Is the curly braces voice actually Yuuri after all or someone else warning us not to mess with her? Dunno if she's lying about her meager telepathy skills or not but maybe she can project psychic blasts at least. No way that was AD wearing off.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

TheMcD posted:

For what it's worth, the curly braces voice is male and doesn't sound like anything we've heard before. Dunno if I've mentioned this before.

Oh, maybe you didn't or I missed it. I didn't think it was voice acted at all. Either way I suppose that's better, it would've been more confusing if it was Yuuri.

Are Watase's lines voice acted, by the way? :v:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Alright, good. I still assume it's some kind of psychic possession, but who's doing it? I guess the options left are the Tenkawa boy that we haven't heard speak yet (I presume) or a tenth person (who could be what "the monster" is referring to).

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
"Showing weakness", come the gently caress on

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Seeing bad ends is good and all but I still feel like complaining about this silly system

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
To me 50°C water sounded uncomfortably warm but not a temperature "one can't hope to withstand" if the alternative is to be radiated to death.

But looking it up it seems that it's hot enough to cause third degree burns after five minutes. Swimming 500 meters in water at least that temperature doesn't seem plausible.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well at least Jun still wants to be our friend

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
So S read some "research results" that had something to do with "N" and three months later decided to burn the whole loving place down. Coincidentally two kids somehow broke into the facility the same day and although "two lives were lost" Jun is saying the media only talked about one kid dying.

LABO sounds legit

Speaking of S, I guess Sannomiya's father would be the best guess for now

tiistai fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 15, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

CirclMastr posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what word could end in -ro and also end a sentence.

A Japanese name would fit, I guess. We do have a Mashiro Toba but I dunno.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yet another CG with Watase's face conveniently out of the frame lol

It just feels too obvious! Are they playing this trope straight or not, damnit

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

SSNeoman posted:

The quiet, inexperienced, shy girl is holding onto you, the big, strong, amnesiac firefighter. This game isn't above such tropes, look at the schoolgirl uniforms and our rather well-endowed teammates. Even in 999 you never saw Junpei's face outside of like 2 cutscenes.

Eh, things like the artstyle aren't really important when we're talking about mystery tropes. And we see Junpei's face several times, most prominently right in first escape sequence where he's looking at a mirror and recognizing himself, even if he thinks he's looking a little pale. It's made clear at the start there's no need to suspect his identity.

Ukita's reaction makes sense to me regardless of whether he's in on some conspiracy or not.

TheMcD posted:

Now, the question is, which do you prefer? Posting chapters as soon as they're finished, leading to several a day at times and none on others, or spreading them out and posting one a day? This isn't a real vote or anything, I'm just looking for opinions.

I guess it depends on if you're expecting droughts on some days. Maybe have a safety buffer of x updates and when that's full just churn them out as you make them.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

"Safety first"

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
They stopped doing that for non-romance novels like over a decade ago

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Top Yuuri and high Watase and fingers crossed that doesn't mean Watase prioritizes himself over Yuuri

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well

I wasn't expecting this to be ending yet anyway so the escape route being a dead end was hardly surprising but what the hell is this

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well something sure is slightly off here even without the 10 minute discrepancy. Going by the first update, the watch was already broken at 6:19 (and 30 seconds if that bottom dial is the actual seconds counter, not that I know anything about complicated watches) yet here's Watase looking at a pristine watch at 6:42 and 6:52. However, 6:19 was the time of the first explosion, so Watase and his watch couldn't have been there. I suppose this means both Watase and the "monster" coincidentally had the same kind of watch. Having seen a broken watch and yet looking at working one later on might be what's bugging... uh, our protagonist in Watase's body.

Also, somehow I didn't notice it until now, but the rescue team had nice differently colored armbands over the protection suits. I didn't notice any suspicious switcheroos or anything about them so far, but it's good to know. Lines like this make more sense now: "He didn't recognize their face. But he could tell with a glance... that this was their other squadmate who'd went to the basement-- ''Hiyama''."

The terrorist plot somehow smells like a half-red herring to me. Terrorists being involved in some way seems about right but I don't get the feeling that anyone here is one. Well, except maybe pre-amnesia Watase, who knows.

Watase high
Kazami high
Jun top
Yuuri top
Ena high
Ukita middle
kids high

I don't think Ena is anything besides who she says she is. She seems to jump to conclusions sometimes but not malicious. If she's hiding something I'm guessing it's probably something she thinks is a bigger deal than it actually is. I want to know what happens if we trust her more.

Ukita is the hardest to decide. He has been rational the whole time. Nothing he said just now was actually wrong, Watase is clearly the most suspicious person in the group. Still, it might be better for our own sake to keep some distance from him.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

SSNeoman posted:

Nah, Ena is shady as poo poo too. She's way too quick to cast blame on others.

That just makes her emotional and rash, the opposite of suspicious

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Danaru posted:

Keep in mind though, that one ending where we ran out of AD, everyone died from radiation exposure :saddowns:

Did they really though? People (or at least Watase) felt nauseated, with headaches and some kind of discomfort in the skin, eventually just passed out and then it was game over.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Gridlocked posted:

What if we, the (let's) players, are the psychic thing controlling him? And that's how come we can change his trust in people on a dime.

I've been hoping this isn't the case even though something like that has been foreshadowed since update one. It's just predictable in visual novels at this point and all this created consciousness stuff doesn't make it any less likely.

I bet the girl in the mirror is Watase's little sister based on the hair thing and her calling him with his first name.

Also, lol at "who could the kids have been afraid of? Not Watase that's for sure"

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Watase you're an idiot

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

She also said he did something cruel to her, which confuses me. I'm not sure if the cruel thing went unsaid or if I just misunderstood/skimmed some element of that scene.

Left her in the fire was my first impression. If it's something like that I just wonder if it was on purpose or not.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Ahahahaha

I don't know what the gently caress but I like it

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

TheMcD posted:

(It felt very ''improvised on the spot'' for a trap...)

While this seems about right, who the hell improvises a time bomb on the spot? :v:

Besides MacGyver

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

What is this

At first I thought this Watase blacked out, killed Yuuri and then came back to his senses, which would explain the sudden "shiver down his spine". However he describes her body as ice-cold which kind of is odd enough on its own. It doesn't say yet how much time Watase spent searching, but it probably wasn't long enough for a body to go particularly cold. Even assuming Yuuri died very soon after we last saw her, it's only been about an hour or two. So, is it Watase's subjective exaggeration, Hollywood writing or weird shenanigans?

At any rate, all these static noise effects must mean something. It would be kinda interesting if they're supposed to be literal signal interference of some kind. Psychic kind, I'd assume.

Also, what are the chances that Watase's feelings of having to save specifically Yuuri no matter what are because he's also (been) another test subject?

edit: Oh, another update. Apparently it was only eight minutes and now she's gone like she was never there. That "explains" it I guess. Does the static mark some kind of alternate timeline hopping?

tiistai fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 3, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, I'd say the only somewhat surprising development here is Kazami staying quiet, but I guess she really might be in love with Watase after all. I figured I was overreading it but maybe not. She seems to have taken it pretty personally that Watase never used to speak about himself.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
F

No static or anything this time. If Ena disappears as well I'm going to be very confused.

At least we've now got a pattern of two people being shot square in the forehead. Whatever that means.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I took the "radio" talk to mean she might have been receiving psychic messages, probably something unpleasant about Watase.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

TheMcD posted:

Watase shook his throbbing head and glanced at his watch. The time displayed on the faintly glowing LCD was ''5:50 PM''. It appeared he'd been unconscious for two and a half hours.

Again with the watch, and apparently now it's suddenly digital. What the hell. The alternative is that by "watch" he actually meant his PDA but that would be kinda weird.

I guess the headache radiation really was emitted by a person and it stopped once they died. Salyu seems very likely, Watase's headaches were growing stronger in her presence and afterwards he doesn't mention them anymore. Well, I assume all three of the kids were headache emitters but Salyu was the last one alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
No, this seems clearly like an end but a bad one would've happened several updates ago

• Locked thread