Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

whitehelm posted:

TheMcD: Just checking but are you aware the second half of the "Backdraft pt 2" update was also optional (there's an extra chapter "Instill" in there triggered by a Kazami decision you didn't show)? It's a little weird you only pointed out the Senior & Junior scene.

Bwuh? Is that in the Xtend Edition on Steam? Because I just went back and checked the playing log's scene title section, and there's no chapter called "Instill" that I supposedly saw. So all the content that has been part of this LP has not been in a chapter called "Instill", and I have yet to not show any decisions that aren't blue. I think I showed all of them or at least mentioned them, but I might have skipped a blue one - but definitely not a yellow one. There is a chapter between Senior & Junior and Escape I didn't see, so that might be where it went, but I didn't get any other decisions. Maybe it's because we never really had a high Sense of Kazami and therefore we don't have a high enough Favor to trigger the option to get that scene?

I should reiterate I'm not 100%ing this game.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OddHaberdasher posted:

If you're not 100% completing the game (I'm not complaining, leaving decisions up to us and then contorting things so as to see everything would be rather missing the point), will you come back at the end of the A story?

Not sure what exactly you mean here.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OddHaberdasher posted:

Well, you're not going to 100% this playthrough, which I understand (no point leaving decisions to us if you're going to show us everything anyway), but I'm wondering if, when we're at the True end of this route or the B route, whether you will show us 'what we missed'.

Well, I didn't plan to 100% the game throughout this entire LP. What I have planned can be summed up thus: "Show off all the endings and everything unique that happens on the way there". The fact of the matter is that this game has a fuckton of poo poo. I found a walkthrough that shows off how to get all the endings, which I will be using, but there doesn't seem to be anything that would allow me to easily work out how to 100% the game, i.E. see all the scenes. I mean, just look above - apparently I completely missed a scene I never knew existed, and while I found a walkthrough that would get me that scene, that walkthrough doesn't get Senior & Junior, the chapter I got before, so there's probably stuff missing there too.

Basically, I'd probably throw myself out a window before I managed to work out how to get all the scenes. Unless somebody has a guide that tells me how to get everything, "all endings" is the benchmark I'm setting.

EDIT: For reference, I think when I first beat the game (i.E. getting the ultimate True End), I had seen about 75% of the scenes.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 26, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Murder Case: 09/16/2030, 10:12

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

--Watase kept himself from shivering and took in the terrifying spectacle that lay before his very eyes.

D-dear God...!

The bodies at his feet were wearing what appeared to be white lab coats. It wasn't strange for there to be researchers in this facility. What -was- strange was the fact that their bodies were full of countless bullet holes.

(They were... shot?)

Given that they were lying with their heads turned towards the door, it was possible that they'd been trying to escape from the room. The various sized holes in their body, especially the big ones in their stomachs, exposed their innards. The organ that had shaped whom they once were now oozed out of their split heads, leaving a slimy stain on the floor.

(Ghh...!)

He instinctively looked away from the horrible evidence of how the men had died.

But further in the room was one other body... the remains of the rescue worker who Kazami and Jun had called ''Dojima''. His case was even stranger. His limbs were bent in unnatural directions, his fingers broken at their bases as if they'd been tortured. Flesh from the nape of his neck had been torn off, blood oozing out from it, and the bones also appeared to have been twisted and crushed. His face was warped in agony, and his tongue was sticking out of his mouth in a slovenly matter.

(What... what the hell is this...!? What could have happened to cause him to die like this...!?)

It was hard to believe any human could have done this. It looked more like he'd been grabbed and casually crushed by a giant hand. It didn't feel as if any person could have done an act so horrific-- it was more like the work of a monster or something.

A monster, you say?

But the whole thing in general was strange. Why was it that those two had been shot to death while this one had died differently?

What in God's name happened in here...!?

Kazami answered, quietly rising to her feet.

...I don't know. However... It looks like they'd set up a simple makeshift base in this room...

When Watase looked at the room more closely, he noticed there were several objects that appeared to be broken equipment.

What's this...?
A jackhammer... they probably brought it here in order to break down walls and doors.

Watase picked it up and pressed its switch. But it didn't respond at all. It looked like one of the bullets had shot the motor right out. There were two broken ampules lying nearby.

! There's AD...!
Ah...!

One of them had been smashed, like someone had stepped on it. The other one was still in its original form, but the container was cracked, the liquid inside leaking out.

It appears these are the ones they'd been given at the start...

Kazami picked up the cracked AD and said that. Just then, Jun broke her silence.

Do you think... Dojima administered it to those people?
...Yes, maybe. Dojima probably took those two under his protection and tried to come up with an escape plan.
Just like us... But... this doesn't make sense. Why did Dojima have to die...!?

Watase could say nothing as he watched Jun say that and hang her head. --He wasn't sad. It didn't feel real to him-- like it was an event that'd happened in a TV show. Even though it was his very own squadmate who was dead--

(... I'm...!)

to the now amnesiac Watase, the death of his supposed squadmate ''Dojima'' felt the same as the death of a total stranger. And he hated himself for that. Kazami gently wrapped her arms around Jun's shoulders as the latter bit her lips.

...You mustn't let yourself dwell on this.
Judging from the fact that there's no sign of Hiyama's body anywhere, he's probably still alive. We can still save him at the very least...
...Yeah...
Let's go for now... if we remain here much longer... then it'll be difficult even for me.

Watase and Jun nodded and headed for the door with Kazami. --Kazami and Jun gave a small salute before they exited. Their final sendoff to their colleague who'd been killed under mysterious circumstances. All Watase did was just stand by and watch them...

Wha—!?
Three people are dead, and even the jackhammer's broken...!

N-No...! How could I... know... anything...

Kazami frantically pulled Ukita off of him.

Mr. Ukita! Please calm down! Even we're confused about why our coworker was killed!
How could I possibly stay calm in this situa--

But before Ukita could continue his ranting and raving--

a tearful voice echoed around them.

--!?
Y-Yuuri!?
D-don't panic...! People d-died there, right...? If something like that happens again...!

It was the first time Watase had ever seen a look like that on Yuuri's face. It was still strained with fear, but there was a clear, fierce will in her eyes-- Rationality returned to Ukita's eyes as soon as he heard her.

Ah... s-sorry... To think I of all people... would lose my composure like that...
...It's only natural.
By the way, were those researchers perchance acquaintances of yours, Mr. Ukita?
No... to be honest, I don't know them.
Huh?
I-it's not my fault! The odds of ever seeing someone who doesn't work in your area are particularly low in this facility.

There was something about Ukita's explanation that didn't sit right with Watase.

(If he didn't know them, then what was he getting so worked up for?)

But Ena suddenly cut in.

But still... why were they killed...?
M-mmm... perhaps they were trying to steal AD?
No, I doubt that. There was still AD in that room, after all. The bigger question is why the killer had a gun. At least, it is to me...

Honestly, I have completely different questions than the ones these folks are asking, and I'm sure you do as well. And, well, I might as well just tell you - the answers to those questions? Not coming for QUITE some time. We need to pile up a shitton more questions first.

Good point...

Ukita's eyes suddenly widened in shock at that moment.

Everyone, it would be best to be careful... the killer might still be in this facility.
What!?
If those three were killed after the lockdown began-- Then naturally, that means the killer is also trapped in this facility, just like we are...!
!
If someone with a gun is lurking around LABO... then it's not just fire and radiation we have to worry about.
Wh-what the hell are you talking about!? You're not saying that you suspect my students, are you!?
No, that wasn't what I was getting at! There's no way children could do something so heartless, right?

A blue decision, asking us about Ena and Ukita. You decided that you trusted Ukita more than Ena - just by a bit. Of course, that could change later, but for now...

So all I'm saying is that it might be best not to move around carelessly, even if we're here to search.
Huh!? Quit acting like a spoiled brat! That's all the more reason why we have to find my students quickly--

Watase frantically out in just as it looked like another argument was about to start.

Man, we are really blowing it with Ena.

What was that...? Are you two idiots!?
'Idiots'!?
Isn't it clearly way too early to assume that the killer is trapped here with us? Even the killer should be afraid of the radiation and fires, so what reason would they have had to go out of their way to kill a rescue worker?
Mmph... that's certainly true...

Watase found himself shutting up at Ena's logic, with Kazami soon backing her up.

Yes... and what's more, the AD Dojima had was destroyed. If Dojima had been killed after the lockdown started, the killer would have never broken it. Those three were probably killed before the lockdown. I don't know what the culprit's goal was... but if my theory is correct, then they should have had plenty of time after the murder to escape.

Kazami's tone was calm, but her eyes were wavering. She too was grieving, and yet here she was, desperately reprimanding Ukita and Ena.

I'm not buying it. Usually, I don't want to make judgements in these updates, since you're good enough at creating doubt at all the right (and wrong) places all by yourself, but I'm not buying this in the slightest. Even disregarding the fact that we basically know that Dojima was killed after the lockdown - Dojima and Hiyama were both still with The Captain after the lockdown in the prologue - this call is tenuous at best and complete asspulling at worst. ''The killer wouldn't have destroyed the AD if it was after the lockdown''? That's assuming SO many things! I could go on about it, but the core is that given the complete loving chaos that was going on in that room, how in the gently caress can you not even remotely consider that A) the AD was broken in the fight and B) the fight was ABOUT the AD? Of course, with it being broken during the fight, it would be no use to the killer, and he'd just vacate the crime scene and try to find some other source.

I mean, it might be that she doesn't buy her own bullshit either, but she's spewing it to try and calm people down. But of course, once you make that assumption, you start wondering that when it's possible she's lying out of reason A, then why couldn't she be lying out of reasons B, C, or D, all of which will probably be a lot more sinister? In retrospect, these scenes make me doubt a lot of what Kazami is saying. I mean, I know exactly whether she's to be trusted or not, but just judging from what you've all seen, she's hella suspicious in scenes like this.

B-but... I'm just worrying about your safety as a member of this facility...

And Ukita has all the god drat reason in the world to be suspicious. Disregarding that he clearly seems to know *something* that he's not spilling, just from the way he's acting, there could be anything roaming these halls. Everybody just seems to assume ''well, there's us six, and those three kids, and Hiyama, and maybe some survivors, but that's it'' and the thought of ''maybe there's somebody here that might be dangerous'' just completely flies past them.

You people in the thread? You're doing it right. If there is a loving fly mentioned in the game, you'll start suspecting that fly of being the one behind this all. Suspect everything.

Like I was saying, the killer's already escaped. We should go with that--

But before Kazami could say any more, a beep suddenly echoed through the hallway.

CLIFFHANGER!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Shortage: 09/16/2030, 10:16

Oh, I just can't leave you on cliffhangers, can I?

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

We hear a constant beeping.

Oh, that's my watch alarm. I set it to go off when our last dosage of AD wears off.

Taken aback, Watase checked his watch. The digital reading said ''10:16 AM'' on it.

I know there are some of you here who took their last AD less than an hour ago, but we should all inject ourselves now just to be safe.
I-I see... then let's put this discussion aside for now and administer it to everyone.
Yeah... these are our lives that are at stake here, after all.

Jun seemed to have come back to her senses, as she quickly distributed AD to Ena, Ukita, and Yuuri. Ena and Ukita injected themselves immediately.

...This'll keep us up and running for another hour, huh?
... Yeah.

Ena and Ukita muttered that. But-- Yuuri and Yuuri alone still hadn't injected herself for some reason.

Ms. Yuuri, what's wrong?
No... I-I don't want to inject it...
You're still saying things like that!? Very well. Then I'll do it.
N-no...
You can't be stubborn!
Ah...

Just like last time, Kazami injected Yuuri with AD without hearing the latter out. --But there were now only two AD left. Watase, Kazami, and Jun exchanged glances.

Dammit, now we're too short...!
...What should we do?
'What should we do'? That's already been decided. Captain, Moribe, please administer it to yourselves.
Wh-why us!?
Your body still isn't in perfect shape, so there's no way I can allow you to push yourself. And Moribe has the smallest body amongst us. So we should assume her resistance to radiation is weak.
B-but what're you gonna do, Lieutenant!?

Once Jun asked this, Kazami held out something to her and Watase.

I'll use this.

--It was the damaged ampule that'd been lying near Dojima's body just minutes ago. Only half of it still remained, the other half having leaked out through the cracks in the container.

N-no way... You're not seriously gonna try keeping your body protected with only half a dose, are you!?
What do -you- think, Mr. Ukita?
W-well, let me think... if the drug's dosage has been halved, then that means the effects should also be halved... Or maybe it'll only be effective for half the time... Honestly, I don't know.
But you -are- saying that it's better than nothing at all, right?
Well, yes, that's true, but--
W~wait a minute! It's still way too risky!

Jun showed her Procyon to Kazami.

The Procyon's reading is currently at '2035 mSv'! Not only is this level life-threatening as it is, but it's still rising, you know that!?
She's right! If this AD's effects don't properly manifest, then you'll be exposed--
Then what do you propose we do? The fact remains that we don't have enough AD. I'll be taking the damaged AD no matter what you say.
But...
No backtalk, Moribe!
!

Kazami's angry shouts echoed through the hallway as if to ward off Jun's pleas.

This is an order! You're wasting valuable time complaining about this! We're all being exposed to radiation right now, at this very second! If you're worried about me, then please administer the AD right now and continue the search!

Hmmm...

VOTING

So, this will be interesting again because of the Senses system being funky. What will having Kazami's Sense higher than Watase's mean? Will it mean ''Watase respects Kazami's decision and goes with it'' or does it mean ''Watase values Kazami's life higher than his and insists on taking the broken AD''? Only one way to find out!

Pick between Top, High, Middle, Low and Bottom for Kazami and Watase.

And yes, death once again lurks behind this decision. You must choose... but choose wisely.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

whitehelm posted:

things about epilogues

OddHaberdasher posted:

EDIT: So apparently, if these bonuses unlock epilogues, it looks like you ARE going to have to go back and get all of them McD. :D

Ah, poo poo. I didn't know that that was the way the epilogues worked. Yeah, then I'm probably going to have to run that walkthrough in its entirety at the end. Well, I'll just do what I always do and completely ignore it until it becomes absolutely necessary, which should be quite some time off.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Shortage: 09/16/2030, 10:16 - Part 2

code:
Watase:

Top:    IIIIII
High:   I
Middle: 
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((6*8)+(1*6)+(0*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/7 = 7.714 = 8

Kazami:

Top:    
High:   IIIII
Middle: II
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((0*8)+(5*6)+(2*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/7 = 5.429 = 5
Well, you went all in on Watase this time around, with the rationale being that if Watase's Sense of himself was higher than Kazami's, he would insist on taking the broken AD because he felt that he would be able to bear it better than she could.

As you can tell from the fact that I put the title of the update down as ''Shortage Part 2'' and the fact that there wasn't a red path immediately popping up, it seems that we've made the right decision. However, as you can probably tell from the +1 to Kazami we got, that decision wasn't quite what you were expecting.

Kazami's face was brimming with determination. When Watase and Jun saw that, they realized that there was no use in trying to persuade her.

Moribe... let's do as Tachibana says.
Y-yeah...!

Watase and Jun hurriedly injected themselves with AD. Kazami also injected herself with the damaged AD-- She then turned to Ukita and the others and spoke.

...I apologize for causing you trouble. Now we've all finished injecting ourselves, correct?
R-right...!
Y-you're right.

They were most likely still taken aback from seeing the altercation between the rescue workers. Ukita and the others were now quiet, like their fight mere minutes ago had never happened.

Now then, with that roadblock out of the way... let's talk about our next move.

Kazami spoke with a calm voice, betraying none of the anxiety she must have felt from her coworker's death and the lack of AD.

First of all, we've more or less completed our search of Area 3, with the exception of the Bl outer ring. However, we can't get in because the security slot is broken. So we were planning on moving on to Area 4 next... but are all you non-rescue personnel all right?
D-define 'all right'.
What I mean is if you feel mentally fit to keep on searching... right after you've seen those corpses.
...!

Ukita and Yuuri gasped at those words-- but in contrast, Ena replied in a subdued tone.

Of course I'll keep on going.
I see. Then come with us.
B-but... that killer really could still be lurking around...!
You're still on about that, Mr. Ukita!? I get that you think it's too dangerous to move around, but if you want to stay here, then you're on your own. But if you -don't- move, you just might be waiting for death, right?
She's right. And besides, we have no AD right now... to be honest, it'd be better to have an extra helping hand with the search.
...There's also Lieutenant Tachibana's health to consider as well. We should help with the search to ensure we can get some AD as well.
Y-you make good points...

Ukita reluctantly nodded. It seemed even he with all his stubbornness had realized how harsh the situation was.

What do you want to do, Yuuri...?
... ...I-I'll come along with you guys.
Yes, it would be much safer that way. Having everyone within eyesight would be best.

Kazami then turned her head. She was looking at the Area 4 connecting passageway.

Then let's head over to the next area. Fortunately, it appears that security terminal is still intact.
...Yeah.

And with that low voice, the group started walking off again.

The core question in these Senses Sympathy System decisions that involve Watase is usually ''will having a high Sense of himself mean that Watase is MORE likely to take risks for the sake of others because he believes himself as a rescue worker, or does it mean that he's LESS likely to take risks for the sake of others because he values his life above others?''. I don't really have an answer, and I don't think the game does, either. But anyway, it looks like we avoided death this time, albeit not in the way you were expecting. And all you that were hoping about some revelations about AD, you're going to have to keep looking, it seems.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Electric Dragon 80000V: 09/16/2030, 10:22

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

There's multiple ominous ambience tracks in this game, and while they all sound different, I can't really describe any of them.

--They were totally out of AD. And they were still in a situation that left no margin for error.

Blue path, asking us about Kazami, who sits snug at 5.

The last time they'd taken AD was at ''10:16 AM''. They had to find 6 or more AD by the time their effects wore off at ''11:16 AM''. Even though they'd just learned that their coworker had died, there was no time to grieve. That was probably why Kazami was putting on such a brave face.

Pick up the pace, guys.
Yes.

Watase and Kazami said this, then broke off in a run down the connecting passageway.

everyone came to a dead stop.

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

A fire hose had been left lying around not too far ahead. Water poured out of it, creating a puddle in the passageway.

Oh come on, it's just a puddle. Let's get a move on already.
No, look more closely, Teach...

Watase pointed to the wall. Part of it had collapsed, most likely due to an explosion. Something that appeared to be a disconnected cable jotted out of there, touching the puddle and shooting sparks.

Is that a high voltage line...!?
What in the world caused this, and why?
Perhaps someone was trying to hose down something, and then this happened by coincidence.
(... Coincidence? Could something like this really have happened naturally?)

He thought this for a second, but then chose not to say anything.

Well, whatever caused it, we still need to think of a way to get past it.

Watase stared at the puddle intently. It was about 5 or so meters wide. If one were to get past that and pull the cable out of the puddle, then everyone else could walk through it normally. But the problem was that it was right in front of the curve, meaning there wasn't any room to get a running start. Watase took some lint out of his pocket and threw it into the puddle as a test. --That alone caused fierce sparks to flash.

Dammit, one step in this thing and we'll be toast...!

Tips posted:

TIP: Step voltage shock
Category: Nonfiction

In the same way that water flows from high heights to low heights, electricity flows from high voltages to low voltages. A step voltage shock happens when a voltage difference between two points about a meter apart (the size of a human step) causes electricity to flow. This is the reason why when lightning strikes, the electricity can move through the ground to shock someone nearby. Conversely, if there is no voltage difference between two points, no electricity will flow (and therefore no shock). If Watase snapped his feet together and stood perpendicularly, he could potentially avoid a shock.

But then again, that posture woold not allow for him to clear the electrified puddle of water in LABO. Also of note is that step voltage can explain why birds can safely perch on power lines. Both of their tiny feet contact the same power line. If they regularly stepped on two different lines, then the streets would be rife with fried chicken.

Are there any other ways into Area 4?
There should be. It'll be a bit roundabout, but let's take a detour.

As soon as Kazami said that, words poured out of Watase's head on instinct.

Wait, time's too short for that.
Huh? What do you plan on doing?
Oh come on, only 5 meters without a running start...? 'That distance is nothing to me'.

Watase said those words with a kind of confidence in him.

(Not only are we pressed for time, but Tachibana and Moribe must be real down after just having lost their squadmate... So I've got to do something myself in order to rally them up.)

He wanted to get rid of the depressed atmosphere that'd taken hold of them, even if it meant braving such a great danger.

Make some room, guys. C'mon, Mr. Ukita, Teach, you too.

Watase forced everyone to move to the edge of the passageway, clearing enough space for him.

Wait Captain, you're not gonna--!?

Jun shouted that once she realized what Watase was up to—-

(Watch me, Moribe!)

Watase ran right up to the puddle with the initial velocity of a three-step running start and jumped.

Hah!

!

Watase flinched for a moment, but the shock he was expecting never came. Most likely because the only part of him that'd landed in the puddle was his soles. They were probably made out of rubber or something. He heard Kazami calling out to him from behind.

Yeah, I'm fine! I'm gonna take care of the cable now!

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Okay, it should be safe now, guys!

No, hold on a sec, people! I'll go in first to check!

Jun approached the puddle just as Watase had said, and then stepped in it as softly as she possibly could. --But nothing happened.

...Yeah, it's okay! Looks safe now! C'mon guys, no need to worry!

As soon as they heard that, everyone ran through the puddle and up to Watase.

That was a close call, Captain Kasasagi... I think I had a heart attack from just watching that.
I pegged you as being more rational than that, but it appears you have this reckless side to you as well.
You scared the crap out of me! I mean, I knew your physical abilities were next to none, but still! So even though your memory's gone, you still remembered your physical limits, huh? That's our captain for you.

The gloom that'd covered Jun's face just minutes ago had receded greatly. Watase breathed a mental sigh of relief, and then turned to his thoughts.

(Was it that face that gave me the confidence to think I could pull that off...?)

Then it appeared it was his courage and willpower that determined whether or not he could act. But unlike everyone else, Kazami's reaction was cold.

Don't commend his actions, Moribe. And just what are you so happy about, Captain?
H... huh?
Disaster sites are no place to show off your physical abilities. If we have a safer plan of action available, then we need to take it.

Kazami really seems to be obsessed with this idea of taking the ''safe'' option, but that doesn't really apply here. They're on a hard time limit because of the lack of AD, so every ''safe detour'' could mean they're several minutes short of finding the AD they need to not die. While Watase was primarily motivated by wanting to be a morale booster (a viable idea in its own right - despair taking hold could severely impede chances of survival), in a situation like this, there are certain risks that simply need to be taken. You can't possibly work out whether the risk you're considering at the time is worth it or not, but that only means that there's no wrong answer here - but since Watase pulled it off, his answer automatically becomes the right one. I'll now be paying attention to when exactly we find the next batch of AD and how much time they had left before their last dosage would have run out.

Especially after... after what you did back in the Area 3 outer ring...!

Though Kazami's tone of voice was composed, there was a fiery anger behind her words.

I-I'm sorry! I got impatient again!

Kazami said nothing and glared at Watase. The rest of the group watched the proceedings from a distance. Finally, Kazami broke the silence with a sigh.

...Just so long as you understand that, that's fine. Though that said, let us not waste the extra time the captain has bought us. Onwards.

Kazami looked away from Watase in a huff and started walking off.

...Man, that sucks. You finally did something really cool, and all it got you was a scolding, huh?
Well, it wasn't baseless. What she said was completely right.

No matter how much strength and courage he had, unless he could make sound decisions, he was merely putting his own life in danger. That was probably what Kazami was trying to say.

(Well, it may have gotten me another lecture... but I'm glad that Tachibana and Moribe look like they're feeling better now.)

Watase and the others followed Kazami as that thought passed through his head.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 30, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Glazius posted:

Huh. Did that just play on autopilot? That at least seemed like a Senses scene.

Yup, full autopilot.

OddHaberdasher posted:

So far this has been a very entertaining, and informative, LP, but I think that the Senses system is a bit of a misstep. It's an interesting change on the formula of a VN, but with most other VN's you at least know what your character will (try) to do, and if you fail then it's a (usually) rational result of the action your character was trying to take. Here it's just all over the place. Does make for interesting voting, I will give it that.

There's a reason the system is the way it is, I'll say that much.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Brain Cell: 09/16/2030, 10:26

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

What they found there was essentially the spitting image of Area 3. Jun checked her Procyon.

Contamination level is at '2164 mSv' right now... so it really is climbing up and up.
Then we need to hur--

But before Watase could say any more, a voice suddenly came out of his PDA.

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Commander: --... his is Sirius Commander Murakami. Kasasagi, do you r-- ...sagi, do you read me?
Th-the radio!?

Kazami quickly reacted to Watase's surprise.

I reported you were unharmed earlier, which is probably why he's contacting you and not me. Please answer him.
Y-yeah!

Watase frantically took his PDA out and replied.

Y-Yeah, this is Kasasagi, over.
Commander: --sasagi... been trying to reach you for a...--... finally got thro...

The radio waves were clearly in worse condition than they'd been in the earlier call. The commander started relaying orders with what little he could get through.

Commander: --...eport your status!
R-right! Actually, uh, we found bodies...
Commander: ... was that!? Didn't catch all--
We found three corpses in the facility! And they'd all been murdered! One of them was Dojima...!
Commander: What!?
Can you hear me!? We found the bodies of Dojima and two researchers! They'd all been murdered!
Commander: ...urdered!? ...--
There were bullet holes in the bodies! The killer might have escaped the facility! Please check to make sure that none of the people who exited the facility have guns on them!
Commander: Had--....-- gun--...--
Can you hear me!? I repeat! Please check to make sure that none of the people who exited the facility have guns on them!
Commander: --... Check--...--... for guns, right!? --derstood, leave it--...

It seemed he'd managed to get the abnormality of the situation through to the commander.

Commander: --...reaking up aga--...--... have a message for you.

The commander went for a change of plans, speaking without waiting for any responses.

Commander: ...of LABO's-- ...vivors...-- ... --mongst the surv--...--...--... protect-- ...e--
What!?
Commander: Put-- ...riority--... on protecting the g...--...--
I can't hear you, Commander! Please repeat that!
Commander: --gir.. nam... --!... ...--... protect her...--...
Protect a girl!? Are you talking about Yuuri!?
Commander: Counting on y--... --rk together with Tachibana and Moribe ...--...--...--...
You're telling me to work with them to rescue the survivors, aren't you!?

Watase glanced at Kazami and Jun, who both gave him deep nods.

I don't think that's what he means. Call me suspicious, but I don't think the commander would have to reiterate the basic job of a rescue worker to his ace captain. The commander doesn't know of Watase's amnesia, after all.

Got it, just leave it to me!
Commander: --ounting o-- ...--...--... --...--

The transmission cut there. Watase put his PDA away and turned to the rest of the group.

...Did you guys catch all that?
You don't even have to ask. Let's hurry up with the search of Area 4.
Hey Mr. Ukita, what kind of area is this?
Oh, we call it the 'Brain'. The reason why is because this is where we handle most of the data processing, and because we have a supercomputer in here called 'Brain Cell'.

Tips posted:

TIP: Brain Cell
Category: Fiction

A supercomputer made in Japan that manages all of LABO's information, including experimental data, security, electricity, and other infrastructure. It is installed in the outer ring of LABO, and is only accessible from Area 4. Aside from the backup data it sends to the surface, Brain Cell is standalone (it is not connected to the internet). The three control systems, Solone, Deux, and Tria, perform constant mutual surveillance on each other, and thus it is impervious to direct cracking and unauthorized access. Brain Cell is currently ranked as the number one fastest computer system in the world by the twice—yearly ranking organization, Project Top 500.

A supercomputer? Where is it?
The mainframe itself is in the outer ring, but it's controlled from right here in the inner ring. It's this way. Follow me.

The group trailed behind Ukita as he lead the way. He guided them to a nearby door that read System Control Room.

♪ BGM: Server Room Ambience ♫

I can't describe it much more than that. It's that kind of humming sound that just makes me think of servers.

Vast amounts of what appeared to be data flickered on and off at dizzying speeds.

Whoa, feels like a military command center.
What kind of machine is this?
Ah, well, Brain Cell takes care of the batch processing of all the information handled by LABO.
When you say 'all the information', exactly what are we talking about here?
I mean everything, from test data analysis, calculations, and even infrastructure systems like the electricity, the lighting system, the AC, the plumbing, and so on.

I have to admit, if I were a scientist at a research institute, I would feel very impressed by the main computer we have being able to run data analysis and flush my turds at the same time. Decentralization is for wimps who can't handle a real supercomputer.

It still operates even during a Case N. Look at these numbers here.

Ukita pointed to some numbers on the edge of the screen. The time ''18:16'' and the number ''14581 mSv'' were sitting there side-by-side.

'18:16' refers to the time the lockdown is scheduled to lift at.
Just another 8 hours or so, huh...?!
Looks like the estimate the commander gave us was more or less on the mark, then.
Indeed. He said that the engineers were currently repairing the system from the surface-- But that data is calculating the 'time it'll take for the repairs to be done and for the lockdown to be lifted'.
Is it possible that the lockdown will be lifted before the estimated time?
H-hmm... it probably won't be easy. The majority of the processing necessary for the system's restoration is carried out by Brain Cell here. This estimate itself was made by Brain Cell. Even if the time is off slightly due to some artificial error, I doubt that they can get it done faster than this.
I see... then what about this '14581 mSv' thing? What's that about?
Huh? Oh, that's--

Ukita hesitated for a moment before he spoke.

...That's the radiation level in Area N.
What!? Area N's contamination is already -that- bad--!?

Watase shuddered. The thought that nearly 15000 mSv of radiation was floating around Area N left him unable to even breathe. It was a land of death where even a single step would most likely cost one their life...!

It appears that Area N's dosimeter is still active... but maybe we would have been better off not knowing.
N-no, it's better to be safe than sorry. We would have needed to know just how dangerous Area N was eventually.
Yeah... guess that's LABO's 'Elephant's Foot', huh?

Tips posted:

TIP: Elephant's Foot

A solidified lava-like lump of radioactive materials like uranium and plutonium mixed with molten concrete that still silently exists within the hastily built sarcophagus surrounding the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant. The elephant's foot, named after its odd shape, still emits large amounts of radiation today. It is even said that those who got within eyeshot of the elephant's foot were unable to escape death from acute radiation exposure.

Elephant's Foot?
That's what they called the place with the highest radiation levels in the Chernobyl nuclear accident. Its highest level was approximately 80,000 mSv. They say that anyone who was close to it died in just a few seconds. Of course, the numbers this time around are much better compared to that, but still...
So now we're positive that we'll be screwed if we ever go to Area N...!

The difference between 15,000 mSv and 80,000 mSv didn't mean a whole lot when it came to radiation. They were both still extremely lethal doses. Both Chernobyl and LABO were crazy worlds where abnormal levels of radiation flew around freely.

...Anyway, I'm glad that Brain Cell is still functioning even in this horrid situation. This place also controls the opening and shutting of the security gates. So if this ever broke, then our search would be at a permanent end.
Wait, the gates are controlled by this? So that means-- Could we possibly open the bulkhead from here!?
!

Everyone's eyes widened when they heard Kazami's proposal.

M-Mr. Ukita, can it be done!?
I don't know! But... it's still worth a try!

Ukita walked up to the control booth and spoke.

I'll take care of this. The rest of you should continue with the search. There's no reason for all of us to stay here, after all.
All right! Then let's search Area 4 while he's checking on the bulkhead angle!
Yes!
Mr. Ukita, we're counting on you!

The group left Ukita behind and exited the system control room. As soon as they left, Kazami addressed the others.

Then let's split into groups of two again!
Who'll go with who!?
Ms. Yuuri and I will go together. I'll keep her under proper supervision.
Huh...?
Though that said, you don't have to do all that much. So long as you help out only when I'm sure it's safe enough, that's good enough for me.
O...okay.

Yuuri obediently nodded her head.

Then everyone else with me, okay?
Yeah!
This does seem like a good balance.
Then we'll search this floor, so I'd like to ask the rest of you to search B2.
Got it! We'll find some AD and give it to you, just you wait!
--I'd appreciate that.

With those words serving as a signal to all of them, the group then split up to begin their search.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Seven: 09/16/2030, 10:36

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

But the emergency staircase--

Tch, great, we can't go down like this!
Yeah, it's way too dangerous. And I don't just mean for Ms. Tsubakiyama; even a rescue worker like me wouldn't try it.
There should be an emergency staircase in the outer ring. Let's go down that one!

Everyone nodded at Ena's suggestion and left the room.

Good, looks like we can get down this one!

But-- to be accurate, the stairs weren't totally in one piece. The ones that led to the surface had been destroyed, leaving only the Bl -> B2 staircase intact.

But why're all these staircases broken?
No real point worrying about that now. Even if they weren't, there'd just be bulkheads waiting for us. The only stairs to the surface that're still intact are in Area 2.

The group descended the staircase as they talked. However—- Watase twitched as soon as he began walking down.

...Is it just me, or is it kinda hot?
Now that you mention it...!
It's... burning... down here...!

On the other side of the door was floor B2-- they could feel heat and hear some sort of bursting sound coming from it. Watase checked the door with his PDA's IRT scanner to be safe, only to find that the fireproof door was bright red.

...Wait, I'll open it.

Watase said that and nervously opened the door.

A hot wind blew in his face the moment he opened it.

I don't think we can put out this one unless we get the lieutenant over here--

But at that moment, a strange sound rang out as though it were trying to cut off Jun.

We hear some beeping.

Wh-what was that?
It's the Procyon's alarm!

Watase dumbfoundedly took his Procyon out. The reading was at ''4331 mSv''-- past the first danger standard!

Why'd it rise so much just now? Is the radiation down here that bad!?
This isn't good! Let's get out of here!
Wait! It's not that much higher than the AD's limit! I think we'll still be okay!
Y-you sure about that!? Then let's put out these fires and...

Ena looked out into the fire at that moment. And when she did-- her eyes suddenly widened.

Huh...!?

Watase followed Ena's somewhat astonished gaze. What he found was--

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

--a girl standing on the other side of the flames.

Ms. Sannomiya!?

Watase recognized that name. ''Louise Yui Sannomiya''-- that was the name of one of Ena's students who'd possibly been trapped in LABO.

(If she doesn't move, those flames are gonna eat her alive!) H-hey, are you okay!?

But Louise didn't answer his calls.

She just gave him a sharp look that almost looked like a glare.

Calm down, you don't have to be afraid of us! We came here to save you!

A blue choice asking us about our opinion on Louise, which we set at 6 a while back.

But as he said that,

...Huh?
W-wait, huh!? Why'd she run away!?

+1s to both Jun and Ena from that blue decision.

R-roger that!
I-I'm coming t--
It's too dangerous! Stay here and leave this to us!

Once Jun said that, she and Watase went dashing off at the same time.

Louise! Why're you running away!? It's me! Jun!

Despite Jun's shouts, the girl didn't stop running.

(She has a card!? Where'd she ever find one!?)

The gate soon started to close.

Wait wait wait!

Watase and Jun made a mad dash through the gate.

But they couldn't see the girl anymore. She'd probably run off to the inner ring.

Let's hurry and find her before the fire sprea--

But just as Jun was saying this, the Procyon's alarm grew even louder.

!

Jun looked at the Procyon in surprise. It read--

'9307 mSv'!?
O... oh come on, give us a break!

The number was past the second danger standard. Kazami's explanation then suddenly echoed in Watase's head. ''Our lives are at great risk there even with AD.'' And the fact that the alarm had gone off as soon as they'd gone through the connecting passageway meant--

Another blue decision, this time asking us about Louise and Watase. Louise has a high Sense at 6, but because of the misguided voting from the last yellow branch, Watase himself sits at 8. And in this case at least, this means ''Watase values his own life over that of others''.

But he didn't have time to hesitate. The girl was being constantly bathed in high level radiation while they were standing around.

L... let's go! We can't leave that girl here!

She spoke in a clear voice as though she were trying to cheer herself up.

But Watase, afraid of radiation exposure, hesitated.

Hey, look, I'm scared too! But we have to go!
B-but...
--You coward! Fine, then I'll go by myself!

Those words finally snapped Watase out of it.

W-wait! I'm coming too!

Watase broke off into a run, doing his best to catch up to Jun.

You take the left!

Jun then proceeded to run off towards the right.

Yeah!

Watase took off in the other direction, looking for the girl. The alarm was getting louder and louder. Watase suddenly felt a headache from the repeated echo of that sound.

(No... it's not because of the alarm. Are these the effects of the radiation!?)

It didn't stop with his headache; he also felt like his skin was going numb. Despite all that, Watase continued to run around in search of the girl. Just then--

He saw the girl approaching the Area 5 connecting passageway. If she went through that gate, he wouldn't be able to keep chasing her.

Wait! Please wait!

Watase desperately called out to her, but the girl just kept on running. However, there was something off about the way she did so. Watase looked closer and noticed that there was a bandage wrapped around her upper arm.

(She got hurt!?)

Then that only proved that he had to bring her under his protection as soon as possible. Watase ignored his headache and tried to chase after her when--

!?

--a voice echoed in his head.

{Don't chase her! Stop right there!}

It was the same voice he'd heard in his head when he'd tried to save Yuuri. But now it was trying to stop him from rescuing that girl.

Shut the hell up!

Watase shook off that voice and chased after the girl. But a second later,

!!

the pain in his head suddenly magnified.

Ghh...!

(Wh- what's happening...!?)

A light shone in front of his eyes at the same time his vision was rapidly devoured into darkness.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OddHaberdasher posted:

EDIT: Also, for a group of high-schoolers that are not confirmed to have Procyons, and who would likely have little idea on the proper usage of AD, they seem to be doing quite well for themselves.

Well, remember that Natsuhiko's mother works at LABO. It wouldn't be too out there for them to have knowledge of basic things that are used to keep you safe when something goes tits up at LABO.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hazard: 09/16/2030, 10:41

♪ BGM: Ethereal Ambience ♫

----
------ His consciousness was in eternal darkness. Without the ability to rely on his five senses, he had no clue where he was.

(... I'm...?)

His hazy mind just barely managed to construct that thought. He then-- --made out the sound of someone breathing nearby.

???: ...Sheesh, Captain Kasasagi, you sure do weigh a ton...!
(...?)

♪ BGM: Achiever / Theme of Ena

It seemed someone was walking while carrying him on their shoulder.

(''Captain Kasasagi''...? Who's that...?)

No sooner had he thought this than did everything come back to him.

(That's right! I fell unconscious...!)

Watase's five senses swiftly recovered with that thought.

Teach...?
Oh! You're awake? Captain Kasasagi, are you okay?
Wh-where am I...? Why are you...?

Another blue path. I'm noticing that I'm not really getting any real opportunities to hold votes for our Senses for characters that aren't Watase, Kazami or Jun. Maybe I'll just have a general round of Senses voting alongside a yellow path soon. For now, we still really don't trust Ena.

He tried to recall what happened after that, but all he found was a total blank.

Ms. Moribe found you lying in the inner ring and brought you all the way back to the emergency staircase. She's currently putting out the fire on floor B2 with Ms. Tachibana. So they asked me to take you back to the control room.
So that's what happened... by the way, what happened with that girl?
Well... according to Ms. Moribe, it seems Ms. Sannomiya got away. She said she searched the entire contaminated zone in the inner ring, but didn't even find a trace of her.
Did she run away to another area...?

Watase had no clue where she'd disappeared to. He felt like he'd seen her running off somewhere just before he collapsed-- But he'd been hit with a particularly painful headache right after that, causing his memories around that point to be extremely vague at best. But he knew for a fact that she'd run away.

Why'd she run off like that...?
...No clue. Got any ideas?
None...

But thinking back on it, Yuuri had clearly been scared back when he'd first met her. Perhaps Watase's face looked especially frightening to them in an environment like this.

(No, or maybe...)

Maybe the girl had also found those bodies. Anyone would be shaken after seeing something like that. In the end, Watase was no closer to figuring out the truth. Watase sighed and moved away from Ena.

Yeah... Anyway, she ran off into a contaminated zone... so it's possible she's being exposed to radiation.
Actually, there might be some hope on that front.

Ena said that and took something out.

What's that?
It was lying near the staircase. If Ms. Sannomiya was the one who used it, then that gives her at least some protection.
Then I guess she'll be okay if she stays out of any more contaminated zones, huh...

But he couldn't be optimistic. It was very unlikely that she had a Procyon. Ena continued talking.

...She'll be fine. Truth be told, that girl's a prodigy who excels at almost everything.
A prodigy?
Right. I just know she's the kind of girl who can figure out a way to survive by herself.
I see... that definitely is... hopeful.

Even if it was only a faint hope-- Watase felt he should believe in it.

Um... did something... happen...?
...Looks like Captain Kasasagi here passed out right after he went into a contaminated zone.
You went to a contaminated zone?

Yuuri walked over to Watase with a look of shock adorning her face.

Why did you pass out...?
Well, I got this real bad headache all of a sudden... so I don't really remember it all that well... But maybe it was some kind of radiation damage. Radiation can damage your brain cells, you see... 'least that's what Tachibana said...
Oh no...!

Yuuri stared hard at Watase.

...Are you worried about me?
Huh...? ...N-no.
I see...

Yuuri's response was surprising, but also heartwarming. She'd been acting like she didn't want to go near Watase the whole time she'd been with them. He didn't know why that was-- but the concern she'd shown him just now seemed to be proof that she was becoming a bit more comfortable around him.

(Is it because of all the times I've risked my life...?)

Watase then gave Yuuri a smile.

...It's okay, Yuuri. This is just our way of life. We'd be out of a job if we made civilians, especially young girls, worry about us.
Oh my, you're finally starting to sound like a man of your station, Captain Amnesia.
Well, the amnesia aside, I still -am- a bona-fide rescue worker, you know. This is just my way of playing it cool.

Just as he said that, it suddenly hit Watase. His subordinates were currently fighting the fires down on floor B2.

...Crap, I should be helping Tachibana and Moribe out. You guys wait in the control room.
Huh? A-are you sure you're okay? You only fainted just a few minutes ago.
Yep, I'm already as good as new. So now I've gotta make up for lost ground.
Sheesh, you're such a tough guy.

Watase started running off towards the emergency staircase as he heard Ena say that.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 31, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Flash Dance: 09/16/2030, 10:46

He could see Kazami and Jun holding two hoses as they desperately suppressed the fire, the sound of the Procyon's alarm beeping in the background.

Oh, you came back!?
Captain! Are you sure you're okay!?
Your concern is unnecessary! Anyway, is there anything I can help with!?
I'd like you to help us put out the fire, but, well--

Watase checked the area around him as he listened to Jun. Everywhere except for where Kazami and Jun were standing was engulfed in flames. With the air full of heat waves and steam, every breath he took felt like it was setting his lungs on fire.

It's too dangerous for you in your current condition! Please fall back!

And thus, we dance this dance once more.

VOTING

Another life-or-death decision. Another questionable setup where putting one Sense over another could mean loving anything. How will it end for us this time? Vote Top, High, Middle, Low, Bottom for Watase, Kazami and Jun.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 31, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Error of Judgment

code:
Watase:

Top:    I
Middle: 
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((1*8)+(5*6)+(0*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/6 = 6.333 = 6

Kazami:

Top:    II
High:   
Middle: IIII
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((2*8)+(0*6)+(4*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/6 = 5.333 = 5

Jun:

High:   
Middle: 
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((8*8)+(0*6)+(0*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/6 = 8
Looks like the Jun train isn't slowing down in the slightest, and you still have reservations about Kazami's cautious nature.

Let's see what the game makes of that setup...

Uh-oh!

(No, ''firefighting is all about teamwork''! I can't disobey a superior's orders!)

Watase quickly retreated with that thought.

(... Is this... really okay...?)

We hear the sound of an explosion and the screen shakes.

--!?

All of a sudden, something blew through the wide open door and knocked Watase off his feet.

The air caressing his face was... hot. Black smoke spewed out of the stairwell.

Wha... n-no, it can't be...!?

It appeared that an earth-shattering explosion had occurred back down on B2. All the color drained from Watase's face.

--Tachibana! Moribe!

Before he knew it, he was running back into the stairwell, shouting the whole way.

But Watase paid none of that any heed and ran down the stairs. The regret of being the only one to retreat pierced him right through the heart. The further down he got, the worse the heat became.

(Tachibana, Moribe, please, I'm begging you, be alive!!)

Watase ran down to B2 as he prayed for that from the bottom of his heart.

♪ BGM: Abyss

--lying in a world of black smoke, fire, and scorching heat. Their heads and faces had been completely charred black, leaving no way to distinguish them from one another apart from their height and weight differences.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! No! Oh God, no, please no!!

There was little to no chance that they were still alive. But that reasonable assessment was completely cast aside in favor of Watase's emotions.

Hold on guys! I'll save you!

Watase screamed that and leaped into the flames.

--!!

All the fluid in Watase's eyes instantly evaporated, leaving him stranded in a black world.

His hair was reduced to ash, and a foul stench filled his nose. Next, he smelled meat cooking. But he soon lost the ability to tell what it was. For his nose's mucous membrane had burned up. --He was hot. For some reason, his whole body was hot. Even though he'd lost his sense of sight and smell, that agony still remained. And before he knew it, Watase was lying on the ground. His cheek pressed against the white hot floor, making a sizzling sound as it did. He no longer knew anything. Nothing except the fact that he was burning.

(Tachibana... Moribe...)

With his sight still robbed from him, Watase turned towards them and reached out. But his fingers never touched anything-- And thus Watase breathed his last as he apologized to Kazami and Jun.

Ironically, it was the idea that having a lower Sense of Kazami would lead to him not obeying her orders that did us in. If we had Watase's Sense of her at 6 instead of 5, we would have made it through. The bizarre second-person-gameplay created by the Senses Sympathy System claims another victim.

We'll do better next time.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

CirclMastr posted:

I don't get the Sense system at all anymore.

ProfessorProf posted:

It's an interesting enough idea, but it's starting to feel seriously over-designed, yeah.

I get the feeling that if I sat down and thought about it, I could justify every result the Senses system brings. The fact of the matter, however, is that I shouldn't have to do that, it should be relatively self-explanatory.

All of this, however, is by design - they simply didn't want to give you "choices", but remove you, the player, from the decision process by one level. All you can do is vaguely manipulate Watase's "emotions" about people, and the results that come from that are pretty much entirely up to Watase. However, I think I can see a running theme in the Sense decisions we've had so far:

***A higher Sense means that Watase cares more about that person's wellbeing. If the person's wellbeing is not in question during this part, then it means that he's more likely to trust that person. Furthermore, when the situation calls for a "high" Sense, the Sense needs to be 6 or higher.***

Let's go back and look at some decisions we've made with that idea in mind:

- First Impression: We put in a low Sense for Kazami. This bit wasn't about Kazami's wellbeing, so we switch to the second part. A low Sense means Watase doesn't trust Kazami.
- Backdraft: We put in a high Sense for Jun and Kazami, but a low Sense for Watase. This bit is about everybody's wellbeing, so we take the first part. A low Sense of himself means that Watase doesn't really care about his own wellbeing, and because of that, he slacks off on his IRT checking.
- Shortage: We put in a high Sense for Watase and a low Sense for Kazami. This bit is about the wellbeing of Kazami and Watase, so we take the first part. A high Sense of himself and a low Sense of Kazami means that Watase puts his own wellbeing above hers, and he injects himself with the AD that isn't broken.
- Flash Dance: We put in a high Sense for Watase and Jun, but a low Sense for Kazami. This bit is about the wellbeing of all three, so we take the first part. A low Sense of Kazami means that he doesn't care that much about her wellbeing and doesn't try to find a way he can help, instead bailing out.

This same principle also applies to the next decision I'll let you vote on. However, there is one decision that kind of fucks with this system, and that's the one I skipped over during Backdraft, Part 2. There, it was about Watase's and Kazami's wellbeing, but having a low Sense of Watase and a high Sense of Kazami meant that he listened when Kazami said "get the gently caress out".

Still, I guess it's better than nothing?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, I guess.

It feels odd because I feel like I'm the only one that actually likes this mechanic in a weird way. I actually enjoy not really knowing how Watase is going to react, often stumbling into bad ends with no clear idea of what just went wrong, largely because the penalty for loving up is so minor. You just go back to the decision point, change things up the way the game told you how to, and away you go. The time lost is about five minutes at most. Because of that, I don't really care that the decisions I make don't really turn out the way I want them to. However, with you guys voting on this, I suppose you feel more involved and therefore ticked off that what you vote on means basically gently caress all.

...I'm really not sure how to progress from now on. It feels like frustrations with the Senses system are coming to a head, and we're basically just getting started. There's a lot more of this coming, and if this is going like this this early, then it'll go completely to hell down the line.

Do you want to keep on trying to make sense of this Sense stuff, or do you want to just can the voting and let me work... something out as to how I'll set the Senses from then on? Or something else entirely, maybe something inbetween? I'm pretty much at a loss right now. I got nothing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Flash Dance: 09/16/2030, 10:46 - Part 2

Alright, let's not die this time.

Watase stood frozen in place.

I'll watch the fire from the rear! That way, I can let you know if I see something strange!
Yes, thank you, Captain!
Much obliged!

The two of them shouted that and continued hosing down the fire.

(But this fire looks far beyond the control of human hands at this point...!)

Just as Watase thought that--

Wha!?

A tongue of flame which had been licking at the ceiling nimbly waved towards the floor. It was almost like the writhing of a giant snake--

H-hey guys, what's that!?
!? Oh poo poo, it's rolling over!
We'll never last against that! All hands retreat!

Even Watase could tell that whatever was happening was no laughing matter.

T-this way, guys!

Watase opened the emergency staircase door. Kazami and Jun threw aside their hoses at the same time and ran for the stairs. Watase followed them on nigh-instinct.

The whole group crowded their way up the stairs as fast as they could.

And not even a second later-- the door shook with a roar.

Watase was knocked down by the shockwave occurring on the other side. He landed on his side and felt a keen pain run through the area around his ribs.

Ghh, ugh...!

He quickly shut the door again as he groaned. It looked like an explosion had happened downstairs, and the blast had made it all the way up the stairs. ''If we'd been even a second slower...''-- That thought sent shivers down Watase's spine.

Wh... what was that explosion?
A 'flashover'. A phenomenon where an explosion occurs when fire that's covering an entire area suddenly goes through thermal expansion. You saw how those flames were rolling like they were alive, right? That was a forewarning to it, so to speak.
So that's why you told us to run...

If they'd stayed there, they would all be burning to death right about now. Watase gulped as it fully hit him just how ferocious that fire had been. His ribs still ached from when he'd been knocked to the floor.

But I'm glad we're all in one piece...

...!? Tachibana, what's wrong!?
N-nothing... just got a bit dizzy and a little headache all of a sudden...
A headache!? Could it be because you went downstairs without enough AD!?

The fiery hallway they'd just escaped from had a reading of about ''4300 mSv'' according to the Procyon. That was over the first danger standard-- an extremely dangerous zone to those without any AD.

H-hey... you okay, Tachibana!?

A blue path, asking us about our opinion on Jun and Kazami. And if there's been one constant so far, it's that you guys love Jun. I also set Kazami back to 5, just like you voted.

But to think the radiation would--
If they were subjective symptoms of radiation damage, they should not be manifesting this quickly. This is more likely due to carbon monoxide overexposure.

Her face was still a bit pale.

Nice, +1s to both Jun and Kazami.

Even Watase had fainted with a violent headache right after he'd entered a contaminated zone. It was way too dangerous for someone without a full ampule of AD in their system like Kazami. Kazami spoke up with a firm voice as Watase thought that.

...At any rate, let's head back to the control room. Going back to the lower floor is no longer an option.
R-right...
...Yeah.

Kazami then started walking on ahead, followed shortly afterwards by Watase and Jun. --So that dosage of AD really hadn't been enough for her. Though injecting oneself with a drug stored in a damaged container was already in of itself extremely dangerous.

(We need to find some AD on the double...!)

Watase then whispered into Jun's ear.

...Moribe, Tachibana looks like she's having a real hard time. We have to support her...
I know that already! I know that..!

Watase and Jun nodded at each other and quickly marched towards the control room.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Disaster Prevention Manual: 09/16/2030, 10:51

♪ BGM: Server Room Ambience ♫

No sooner had they passed through the doorway than did a bitter shout echo through the room.

Dammit! I can't steal the root authority!
M-Mr. Ukita, what's wrong!?

Ukita and the others turned around in surprise.

You three, huh... I heard everything from Ms. Tsubakiyama. Sounds like you went through hell.
Yeah... But we're okay now.

None of Watase's group said anything about Kazami's deteriorating condition.

More importantly, what happened? What's all this stealing authority business about?
Well... I've been expending all my efforts towards gaining control of the bulkheads, but... The control system is shielded by thick layers of protection. I don't believe I can do anything against that. And unfortunately, the other three control computers are all being guarded by that system. It appears it's been set up so that it instantly takes the root authority back from any intruder who manages to steal it by force. And to be honest, there's nothing I can do about it with my level of skill...
...I see.

Everyone's faces fell at Ukita's explanation. Though it'd only been a half-hearted hope, it still came off as a big disappointment.

...But, and while I wouldn't say this makes up for that, I learned several things during this process. Please look at the monitor. everyone.

Ukita then operated the control panel--

--bringing up what appeared to be a map on-screen.

What's this?
This is a detailed map of LABO. This is floor B1, where we are presently located...

And this is floor B2.
Oh, this'll be a huge help! Now we won't have any more trouble navigating the facility.
And it's not just a simple map. You can also check out the current situation with it, at least to a certain degree. So here's what I learned from it-- First, it appears that all routes leading to the surface really have been locked down with bulkheads. There are no other exits either. Incidentally, it would seem that all emergency staircases leading to those bulkheads have collapsed, excluding the one in Area 2's inner ring.
I see...

It was more or less what they'd expected, but it was still disappointing to hear. Kazami pointed to the lower half of the map.

What's this redded-in portion?
Oh, that appears to be an area currently on fire.

Just like Kazami had said, the whole area was dyed red. And the letters next to it read ''Area 4'' ''B2''-- it was the fire that Watase, Kazami, and Jun had narrowly escaped from.

Then all these red parts are...!?

B2 of Area 4 wasn't the only area that was red. Area 5 was full of red dots, while almost all of Area 6's outer ring was filled with red.

Indeed. The bulkheads in these areas have been damaged by the fire, so there may be some radiation leakage happening there.
So that's why the Procyon's reading rose so much, huh...
If we can seal up the damaged bulkheads, will that stop the reading from going up?
It will not be an easy task... We don't know what parts are damaged, after all. It's highly possible that the majority of it is broken. And there's no chance that we can suppress the radiation with makeshift repair work.
Great. Just great... We can't continue with our search like this.

The lower floor was now completely off-limits to them, and they still needed to find Kazami some AD quickly. And with all the areas ahead of them on fire, there was also the survivors' safety to worry about.

...Then let's start thinking. We need to decide what to do next based on this new information.

The group meekly nodded.

The first order of business is finding AD, stat. We can't leave Tachibana in this condition forever.
Good point... But where do we find some?
We had planned to search the lower floor, but it's on fire...

Suddenly, Yuuri, who hadn't said a word so far, finally broke her silence.

U-Um... I found this while I was waiting...
Hmm?

He looked at Yuuri to find she was holding what looked like a small notebook.

What is that, Yuuri?
It appears to be this facility's 'disaster prevention manual'. According to this page...

Yuuri opened to a certain page and showed it to everyone. The group walked over to her and took a look at it.

...For 9 hours? Don't ask the impossible.
No, that part's due to a system error. The lockdown would normally be lifted much earlier than that.
Wait, there's more.

A blue decision, asking us about Yuuri, who still sits at 6.

Watase broke out into a smile at this new knowledge.

Plenty of spare AD...!

You know, for what it's worth, while we've been blowing it in the yellow (and therefore also red) branches, we're doing pretty well on gaining Favor in the blue ones.

Y-you're welcome...

Yuuri gave a smile tinged with a faint hint of joy.

It says there's spare AD in Areas 1,3, and 5... but is that actually true?
Well, now that I think about it, we did find a medical box with five AD in it in Area 1, so there's that.
Mmph, that's less than I thought. Well, I guess there was enough originally, it's just...
Area 1 was also on fire at first. Most of the spare AD probably burned up in it.
Then what about Area 3?
We found a medical box, but it was empty. Someone must have beat us to it.
...That's too bad. Then is there anywhere we haven't searched yet?
There is...

Kazami looked at the monitor.

Area 3's outer ring on B1. We couldn't get in there because the card slot at the security gate was broken.
Oh yeah, I remember that now.

The map showed one of the three routes to that place was blocked off by fire. And according to Kazami, one of the others had a security slot that'd been incinerated. And according to Kazami, one of the others had a security slot that'd been incinerated.

So we might be able to get in if we can put the fire out in that passageway. But I think putting out that fire is nearly beyond human help now...

Ukita suddenly spoke up when he heard Jun's comment.

Wait...!? If you say it's impossible with human help, then...! All right! If my plan goes well, then we can solve both our AD and fire problems in one fell swoop!
What!? Do you have something in mind?
Yes. Take a look at this map.

Ukita proceeded to operate the control panel again.

A strange map then popped up, one that did not appear to be of B1 or 82. In the first place, it didn't have any detailed descriptions of anything apart from Area 3.

What's this map of?
This is an equipment storage block between the first floor and B1. Think of it as something like an attic of sorts. Anyway, this part here is what I wanted to show you...

The 'Engine Room'.

Those words caused Watase to remember the note he'd found earlier on.

Could the engine room be--
--where the sprinkler system is housed!?

I think somebody was waiting for this to be brought up.

Indeed. All the sprinklers are offline right now, yes? It appears that the sprinkler system has been shut off for some reason... But if we go there, we should be able to restore it. It'll be a great help in dealing with those fires.
Are you serious!? How do we get there, then!?
Well, according to the map--

...Through here. Through that block we were just talking about. In other words, there's a ladder to the engine room in this room in B1 of Area 3's outer ring. So if we can just get into that block somehow--
We can put out the fires and get our hands on some AD!

Those words brought the whole group's spirits up.

Captain... this is good news!
drat straight it is! Nice job, Mr. Ukita!
Oh, uh, you're welcome...

Ukita scratched his head in embarrasment.

But the problem is getting there, isn't it...?
Yeah. Maybe we should try to put out those fires in that burning hallway?
No, those flames are far too powerful. It's dangerous. I propose that we repair the broken card slot instead.

Oh hey, look, a clear Senses decision. We get to pick between Kazami and Ena, and whichever is higher is the plan we go with.

...so of course I'm going to skip over voting on this one. This is largely because I'm looking to get to a good place to work out our updated Senses for everybody, and I know there's a good spot coming up. So for now, we'll just go with Kazami's plan. Besides, Jun said that they can't put out those fires now, and Jun is always right.

Watase thought it over for a second and soon came to his answer.

Let's go with Tachibana's plan. We don't know for sure that trying to repair the card slot will be a dead end unless we've all given it a shot, right?
That's right. They always say that 'two heads are better than one', so we should be able to do something with six.
Everyone, will you please lend us your skills?
Of course.
Well, I may be an amateur at rescuing, but I know a bit about machines, so I may be of assistance.
I... don't really have any skills, but... I'll try if it comes to it.
Just being there's good enough. Having a girl like you around will put these old men into high spirits, after all.
Old men, huh...

Watase and Ukita looked at each other and exchanged wry smiles. Ukita's face turned serious again a moment later.

...Now that that's decided, let us make the necessary preparations right away. First, everyone here should download this map into your PDAs.
Good idea. Let's take him up on that, people.

Everyone took out their PDAs at Kazami's declaration... except for Yuuri.

Hmm? Yuuri, you don't have a PDA?
N-no... my mom won't let me have one.
Sheesh, you've got a strict family. Reminds me of my folks.
Well, there are families like that here and there.

--At any rate, everyone except for Yuuri downloaded the map into their PDA.

And with that...

...we can also access the map of LABO from the menu at any time. It can be useful for getting one's bearings, but to be honest, I never really used it. It's not that hard to keep track of a hexagonal design with two levels.

I always carry an army knife with me. It's a bit tough to use, but it'll still work as both a crosshead and a flathead screwdriver.
It'll do. Let's give that a try.

Ukita took the knife. Watase then plopped a hand on his shoulder.

Guess we're all set... then shall we go?

The group left the control room.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

To note, it'll still be either two or three chapters until the next point where I'd planned on having a voting decision, so feedback on how I should continue to handle this whole Senses clusterfuck is welcome and appreciated.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Clear and Present Danger: 09/16/2030, 11:01

While en route, they looked over their newfound maps.

Wow, this map really does make it easy to tell where you are!
Honestly, I've been having a lot of trouble telling where I've been up 'til now.

They hurried as they talked.

But it didn't respond at all.

...Yep, it's broken.
Then please go ahead, Mr. Ukita.
Right. I don't know what I'll be able to do, but I'll give it a try.

Ukita took out the army knife and used it to start fiddling with the card slot.

...Well, Mr. Ukita? Think you'll be able to do something?
Mmm... it's hard to say. Even if I can, it might take time...

''Then maybe it'd be best to try the other route as well.'' Watase looked at Kazami as he thought that-- but she was rubbing her arms.

...Tachibana, what's wrong?
Oh, nothing... I just felt this tingling pain in my skin...
What!?

Watase started panicking. He hadn't realized it up until this point, but it'd been 45 minutes since their last injection of AD.

(What's Tachibana's cumulative exposure at now...? If that damaged AD's effects didn't fully manifest, does that mean she can only handle under 2000 mSv? But we don't even have a single AD on us right now. At this rate, we'll all...!)
M-Mr. Ukita... can I try?
Don't get impatient, Moribe. Let Mr. Ukita go at his own pa--

And as Kazami said that... Yuuri suddenly spoke up from behind them all.

Ah, there's smoke...
Huh...?

Watase turned around as soon as he heard that.

Smoke? Where?
Over there...

Yuuri had just pointed to the center of the passageway when--

The floorboards were blown away and fire came jetting out of them.

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

Moribe! Get a hose ready!
Roger!

There was a fire hydrant right by the gate. Jun promptly took a fire hose out of it and handed the nozzle to Kazami.

Everyone, please get back!
Lieutenant! Water's coming now!

Kazami turned to the advancing flames and began hosing them down. However--

One flame after another kept spurting out of them.

Even with Kazami in a weakened state, the flames were progressing slowly, so it seemed she was doing her best.

*cough*...
Yuuri, get down! You guys too! You'll breathe in less smoke that way!

Ena followed her advice and held Yuuri in her arms. She then crouched down and started shouting.

Mr. Ukita! Think it'll be much longer!?
I'm trying! But-- I-I'm sorry! I honestly don't know if I can do it...!
You can't be serious...!

It wasn't just Ena; everyone was speechless.

gently caress! If only this drat gate weren't here! (click me!)

I just had to upload that line for you to listen to. I always enjoy it when English words show up in foreign languages, but the word ''gently caress'' is especially special.

Jun kicked the gate.

Hmm!?

Watase looked up-- then stared intently at what lay there.

An air duct!

Watase quickly scanned the path of the duct. It apparently went right over the gate and straight into the outer ring. He then remembered what Ukita had said earlier. ''The air ducts have radioactive material filters set up all over in them. They block all potential routes to the surface and other areas.''

(Then maybe there isn't a filter in there blocking the way to the outer ring!) Moribe! Can we go through that air duct!?
Worth a shot! We might be able to open the gate from the other side!

But the air duct was blocked by a grate.

A blue branch, asking us about Jun and Watase. Sirius's crack suicide squad chief still gets top marks, of course.

Huh? O-Okay!

Jun took the army knife from Ukita.

I'll remove the grate and go to the other side! My body's smaller than the Captain's, so I'm better suited for this role!

Right on!

Watase then lifted Jun on his shoulders, allowing her to begin dismantling the grate. Screws soon began falling-- first one, then two, three, and four. Finally, the grate itself fell. --It had only taken a mere 30 seconds.

drat, that was fast!
Yeah, being handy's the best part about me!

Jun left those words behind as she climbed into the air duct in the blink of an eye.

We're counting on you, Moribe...!

Khh...!

Kazami groaned in pain as heat waves surged from the fire.

Ms. Moribe...! Please hurry!

Ena still had her arms wrapped around Yuuri. And as Watase also prayed for the same thing from the bottom of his heart--

Yes!

Joy filled the group's faces all at once. But something was strange. The other side of the gate was full of smoke, and Jun was nowhere to be seen.

An ominous feeling took grip of Watase. So he quickly scanned the area--

Moribe!!

—-and spotted Jun lying on the floor.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Glazius posted:

Isn't radiation kind of... unidirectional? Is it just that the shielding has taken varying degrees of damage from the fire?

Logicblade posted:

Yeah one would expect radiation to well... radiate from the source. The source would be in area N, and all the areas are pretty much equidistant judging by the map. I'd have to assume the raging fires and explosions are causing damage to the barriers and bulkheads. It's possible it could be something else though, like carbon monoxide buildup?

It's been established that the bulkheads that were supposed to block the radiation coming from Area N have taken varying amounts of damage from the explosions and fires, leading to differing amounts of radiation building up in different areas. Also, radiation has been building up throughout the entire complex in general. However, the Procyon didn't go off in the previous area and Jun is still under the effects of AD. I don't think radiation is the issue in this area.

SSNeoman posted:

This game plays pretty fast and loose with radiation so far so...

Has it? What the game says about radiation makes at least some sense to me so far - though I never really looked too deeply into the actual science behind it. I mean, discounting the existence of AD.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Fireman's Carry: 09/16/2030, 11:08

Watase frantically ran over to Jun and shook her body.

But she didn't respond no matter how much he called out to her. Her eyes were rolled back: she'd clearly lost consciousness. lnstinctively sensing danger, Watase took Jun in his arms and ran back to the passageway.

Gaah... agh... haah...!?

Yuuri and Ena groaned in agony and collapsed on top of each other.

Yuuri! Teach!

Three of them had collapsed one after another. Kazami ran over after having noticed this unexpected turn of events.

What's wrong!?

Her face then went as pale as a sheet.

Oh no—- is this oxygen-deficient air!?

Tips posted:

TIP: Oxygen-deficient air

Refers to air with a lower oxygen content than normal air. Normal air is roughly 21% oxygen, and humans need at least 18% oxygen air to breathe safely. At 16% and lower, humans start experiencing headaches and tinnitus. At 14% and lower, consciousness becomes hazy. At 10% and lower, loss of consciousness becomes common. When oxygen concentrations drop this low due to fires or poor ventilation, the air becomes threatening poisonous gas. Furthermore, an oxygen-deprived body instinctively tries to breathe, rapidly decreasing the oxygen concentration in the blood. Just five or six minutes in less than 6% oxygen air can be fatal.

What's that!?
A type of lethal gas that renders you unconscious in a few seconds! It's created when the oxygen density in the air severely decreases due to fires! Breathing it in puts you into a state similar to drowning on land, knocks you unconscious-- and at worst, kills you!

Ukita then started shouting in a shrill voice after hearing that.

Oh no! The AC in here's broken, and the ventilation can't keep up with it!
So the outer ring's full of this gas!?

The gas had been sealed in the outer ring so far because the gate had been closed up until this point, but now--

We won't get any further like this!

To make matters worse, their way back was blocked by fire.

If Watase, Kazami, and Ukita were also to lose consciousness, it probably wouldn't be long before they were incinerated by the flames. They'd be fine if they could put out the source of the fire, but they didn't even know where it was.

Kazami scrunched her face in deep thinking for a second-- then she made up her mind and spoke.

We have no choice! We'll have to hold our breaths and run through the gas until we make it to the engine room! If the map is correct, then it's about 30 meters from here! It'll be a bit of an anaerobic exercise, but it won't be a problem!
But what do we do with the people who've fainted!?
I'll carry Ms. Tsubakiyama! You'll take care of Moribe and Ms. Yuuri!

A blue branch, asking us about Kazami and Watase. Watase is at 6, Kazami at 5.

(I'm supposed to run and hold my breath ~while- carrying two people!?)

That worry crossed his mind for a second, but Kazami saw through Watase's concerns and quickly appended her statement.

I know you can do it! Please have faith in yourself!

Well, whatever that decision came down to, it worked.

--Got it! Leave it to me!
That's the Captain I know.

Kazami smiled for a second, then grew stern again and continued.

Mr. Ukita, I apologize for asking this of you, but can you run by yourself?
A... all right, I'll give it a try.
Much obliged!

Kazami propped Ena up on her shoulder at the same time she said this. Watase did the same with Jun, making sure to copy the way Kazami did it.

Tips posted:

TIP: Fireman's carry
Category: Includes fiction

A technique for carrying someone by standing opposite to them, putting your head underneath their armpit, and supporting them up on your shoulders. It is often seen in the armed forces, but it was used especially by firefighters to carry the injured, hence the name. When lifting the other person, the fireman's carry uses the strongest muscle in the body, the quadriceps, thus allowing for speedy evacuation. However, the cases where the fireman's carry can be used are limited by how it places the carried person's head up high, exposing them to smoke and other dangers.

Similar derivative techniques are used in all sorts of martial arts, like the kata-guruma in judo and the back flip in pro wrestling. In Salyu's personal Sannomiya Style Savate, there's the ''Sannomiya Spiral'' that begins with a similar stance to slam the other person down to the ground backwards, striking the crown of their head.

Uh, pay no attention to that last bit. It'll make sense later.

He then held Yuuri with his other hand.

(--So light!)

The two of them combined had to weigh about 100 kg. Yet they felt light to Watase.

All right! Let's go, guys!
Yes!
Y-yeah!

The three nodded at each other, then started racing down the connecting passageway.

Smoke stung their eyes, causing them to tear up.

(Khh... it's far...!)

He'd only traveled 30 meters, but it felt extraordinarily long to him. But the weight of the two lives he bore gave Watase strength.

(I've gotta hang in there! If I faint, then Yuuri and Moribe die too!)

As he kicked off the ground with those thoughts sprinting through him-- Kazami suddenly stopped in front of a room.

(Did we make it!?)

Kazami took a card out of her pocket and inserted it into the slot.

The air in there hadn't been polluted at all. Watase quickly closed the door and took a huge breath.

--Haah!
Haah, haah...!
*wheeze* *wheeze*...

Kazami and Ukita were also struggling to catch their breath.

Ugh...!

But Ukita fell to his knees with a thud.

Mr. Ukita, are you okay!?
I-I have this horrible headache... It seems I inhaled a bit of the gas...!

They were safe for the time being-- but... Watase realized they weren't out of the woods just yet.

(The AD won't last much longer...!)

According to his watch, it was currently ''11:10 AM''. Not only were there just six minutes left until their prior dosage wore off, but they didn't have any AD at all.

(We're screwed! Is there anything we can do!?)

The manual had said that there should be spare AD in Area 3. It was very probable that it was in the outer ring. But they couldn't search the area with that gas still filling the hallways.

(Before we can do that, we have to find out what's keeping the sprinkler system off, reactivate it, put out the source of the fire, wait for the ventilation to finish, then look for the AD-- It's useless, that'll take way too long!)

But taking their time was simply not an option.

(No, wait... if I die looking for the AD, then it'll all be for nothing...!)

Even if they went looking for the AD after restarting the sprinkler system, it might not take as much time as expected. Then they wouldn't have to go very long without any AD. Their cumulative exposure probably wouldn't increase all that much.

(Should I prioritize my own safety and look toward precautions... or should I brave the danger to find AD for everyone...!?)

Well, then.

VOTING

OK, this time will be a bit different. The reason I say that is because this round shouldn't be short-term voting, but long-term voting. Since we've got an opportunity to set our Senses for all six of our main group, this is a good time for us to update our general Senses for the different characters for all the blue branches coming up in the future. Also, you probably won't get the right answer anyway.

So this should be about how much you trust the different characters now, and how much you care for them. Has Ena earned your trust now? How about Ukita? Do you still think highly of Jun or Yuuri? It's time to decide.

So, as before, pick between Top, High, Middle, Low or Bottom for Watase, Kazami, Jun, Yuuri, Ena and Ukita.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Junpei posted:

Hey, McD. Would you mind if I just kind of sort of talked about something I researched that has something to do with this game (The Enneagram of Personality Types)? I saw the OP and what it said, and I realized I had done a project on it in school before. Would you be okay with it?

Go right ahead. The main reason I never said anything about the stuff behind the Enneagram was because I didn't know a lot about it myself, and writing about something I glanced from a cursory look at Wikipedia is probably not worth it.

I never paid attention to the personality types in my regular playthrough, so it'll be interesting to see how the characters fit into their types this time around.

EDIT:

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Watase: Not sure if Medium is still classed as 5 instead of 6 and 5 has never done us any good when applied to Watase.

Oh, right, I could probably mention again that it works like this:

Top = 8
High = 6
Middle = 4
Low = 2
Bottom = 0

EDIT AGAIN:

Oh, also, I'm calling the vote.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 7, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Falling Down: 09/16/2030, 11:12

code:
Watase:

Top:    
High:   III
Low:    I
Bottom: 

Result: ((0*8)+(3*6)+(4*4)+(1*2)+(0*0))/8 = 4.5 = 5

Kazami:

Top:    III
Middle: 
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((3*8)+(5*6)+(0*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/8 = 6.75 = 7

Jun:

High:   II
Middle: 
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((6*8)+(2*6)+(0*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/8 = 7.5 = 8

Yuuri:

Top:    I
High:   III
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((1*8)+(3*6)+(4*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/8 = 5.25 = 5

Ena:

Top:    
High:   
Low:    IIII
Bottom: 

Result: ((0*8)+(0*6)+(4*4)+(4*2)+(0*0))/8 = 3 

Ukita:

Top:    
Middle: I
Low:    II
Bottom: 

Result: ((0*8)+(5*6)+(1*4)+(2*2)+(0*0))/8 = 4.75 = 5

Alright, so that's what we'll be going with for the near future until other important yellow branches interfere. Seems a lot more balanced now, with Ena bringing up the rear and our rescue squad comrades at the front.

And, well, that's not the right setup. One reason I did this ''long-term voting'' thing here was because I figured you wouldn't have gotten the right combination anyway - though you might have. I mean, it's theoretically possible. But with this many people involved, it probably wasn't happening. So now we're en route to death again.

Watase silently gazed at the door. A whole hall full of potentially lethal gas was lying there. Just one sniff of it and he would most likely pass out.

(N—no.... it's way too dangerous...)

Watase then wrung his answer out of his throat.

W-we don't have a choice... let's activate the sprinkler system first. We'll look for AD after that. Tachibana, I know it'll be hard on you, but please hang in there for a little while longer.
...Yes, don't concern yourself over me. I believe you've made the correct choice.
Sorry... Mr. Ukita, could you guide us to the engine room?
S-sure... it's right this way...

The three of them picked up their fallen companions, headed deeper into the room, then climbed the ladder.

You know, if it wasn't for the red branch, I probably could have fooled you into thinking this wasn't a dead end.

♪ BGM: Engine Room Ambience ♫

The chapter doesn't officially start until here. Also, the ambience here consists of the sounds of low rumbling, water flowing and steam hissing.

The group laid down the unconscious members they were carrying.

...It appears that we've made it here safely.

Kazami's face looked deathly pale. Was it because of the effects of the radiation, or was it extreme fatigue--? Either way, Watase spoke to her.

Tachibana, let's start the sprinkler system up right away. We're done for if the fire makes it here.
Un... understood...
Wait... I'll go with you. I know where the sprinkler system is. They showed it to me during my orientation days... I also think it'd be best for Lieutenant Tachibana to get some rest.
Thanks, that'd be a huge help-- but are you sure you'll be okay?

Ukita's face was just as pale as Kazami's.

Don't fret, I'm still a man just like you... so allow me to show off for a bit here...
...I see. Sorry, that'd be great.

With those words, Watase walked over to Ukita with faltering steps and lent the latter his shoulder.

So where's the sprinkler system?
Oh... over there...
My apologies... please take care of it, you two.

Watase and Ukita nodded to Kazami, then promptly started heading deeper into the engine room. They proceeded to weave their way through the labyrinth of pipes.

Ukita said that and pointed to countless valves next to a giant tank.

That's the sprinkler system...?
Right... We have to open all the valves there...
--Got it. Leave it to me.

Watase quickly followed Ukita's instructions. The tank began to groan, and the pipes connected to it all started vibrating at once.

Good... that should take care of matters...
Great, then let's hurry back. We need to find some AD and fast.
No... I'm sorry, but I've hit my limit... I'll stay here... and make sure the system is operating normally...

Ukita had probably pushed himself considerably to do all this, which was even more evident from the pronounced fatigue on his face. So Watase left him there and navigated his way back through the pipe maze.

--Tachibana!?

Kazami was lying on the ground, collapsed. Watase frantically ran over to her.

A sickening stench filled Watase's nose. A puddle of vomit was lying nearby. It had most likely been the result of the effects of radiation exposure taking their toll on Kazami.

(--I knew it! That AD wasn't enough for her!) Just hold on, okay!? I'll find some AD in no time flat, you hear!?

Watase sped towards the ladder and slid on down.

It seemed the sprinklers were doing their job in the blocks with fires in them properly. However-- it was likely that the halls weren't clear of gas just yet.

--

Watase took the deepest breath he could, then rushed out into the hallway.

Watase found a medical box lying in the second room. He ran over to it and opened it up--

(--Found them!)

And discovered there were two AD in there. While he was overjoyed at how surprisingly quick he'd found some AD, Watase was also a bit disappointed.

(If I'd known this was lying around so close by, then I would have never hesitated to search back then. Then Tachibana wouldn't have had to suffer so much...!)

Still, now he'd secured the necessary AD for Kazami. They were still four short-- But he felt like his breath was about to run out after having run around this whole time.

(Khh...)

Watase reluctantly cut his search short and returned to the engine room.

Jun and Ena were already awake, desperately looking after Kazami as she moaned in agony.

Captain! The Lieutenant's...!
--I know! Give this to her, stat!

Watase gave one of the AD to Jun, who then quickly injected it into Kazami.

Agh, ughh...

Kazami was liberated from her pain as the AD started to take effect. She then fell unconscious. Jun immediately checked Kazami's Vital Checker.

All green... whew, that was scary.
Looks like we can take it easy for now. ...By the way, mind telling us what's going on, Captain Kasasagi? This is the engine room, isn't it?
Wait, so does that mean you already started up the sprinkler system? But I don't see Mr. Ukita anywhere.

Watase proceeded to answer their questions and explain what'd happened up until that point. Such as how they'd run through the gas and miraculously made it to the engine room. About how he and Ukita started up the sprinkler system. And how he'd only been able to get his hands on two AD--

So now that we've used one on Ms. Tachibana, we only have one more left, huh?
Yeah. There may still be some in the rooms downstairs I haven't checked yet, but--
Alrighty! Then it's my turn to go hunt down some AD!
No, I'd quit while you're ahead. Don't you remember how you fainted only a few minutes ago?
But--
No. Even I've hit my limit. If you fainted again, then who'd save you this time?
Ugh... y-yeah, I guess you've got a point...
Hey, how long will it take for the sprinkler system to finish extinguishing and ventilating everything?
Hell if I know. Ten minutes, maybe?
Ten minutes, huh... so we'll be stuck without a way to get any AD for that long, huh...

Ena said that and quietly looked at the now unconscious Kazami's face. She was probably worried that they'd end up just like her.

A heavy atmosphere hung over the entire engine room. Time then flew by without event-- And then Kazami's watch rang, informing them their last dose of AD had worn off. Kazami woke up at that moment.

Ugh... It appears I passed out...

She slowly sat up as she shook her head.

How're you feeling, Tachibana? Your face is looking a lot less pale, but better safe than sorry.
Yes, I'm feeling better, thanks to you... Moribe, Captain, Ms. Tsubakiyama... I caused you a lot of concern, didn't I?
What're you talking about? We're the ones who should be saying that.

His gait was now firm; perhaps he'd recovered his stamina.

Heeeey, the sprinkler system's functioning normally. It should be safe for us to go back down now.
I see. Sorry for making you have to tell us.
Oh, don't let it weigh on your mind. Incidentally, I think I heard an alarm a little while ago. Was I right...?

Kazami gasped in surprise.

Captain, did you find enough AD for everyone...?
Sorry... I only got two, and now there's only one left.
Huh?
Mmph... I-I see...

Silence filled the air once again. Watase began to feel an uncomfortable tingling in his skin, as if to prove that the effects of the AD had worn off. He looked around to see that everyone apart from Kazami was rubbing their arms. The Procyon read ''3090 mSv''-- A radiation level that most likely would have serious effects on those who hadn't taken any AD. Jun nervously began to talk.

So, um... who gets the last AD?

Ukita immediately answered without the slightest hesitation.

Let's use it on Yuuri.
...You're right. She's got the weakest body of us all, after all.

And at that moment--

Yuuri woke up and looked around in confusion.

You inhaled some gas and passed out. But you're okay now. We've got the sprinkler system up and running even as we speak.
So that's... what happened...

Yuuri's answer was vague, most likely because she wasn't fully awake yet.

(--Could this be symptoms of radiation exposure!?)

Watase took Yuuri's arm as anxiety well up inside him.

We'll explain the details later. It's more important that we inject you with some AD now.
Huh...?

Yuuri let out a bewildered cry at Watase's words. And as soon as she saw the AD in his hands~~

--Yuuri knocked it away.

Ah...

The AD hit a pipe and shattered into bits. And so the last precious ampule of AD that the group had saved for Yuuri was gone.

--Yuuri, how could you!?

Blood rushed to Watase's head. He then rose his hand on instinct-- but then...

!!

Watase writhed in pain from a sudden headache.

Ghhh...

His vision quickly grew dark.

(Is this a result of the... AD's effects... wearing off...?)

His consciousness then sank into a void--... --... --...

---- --His consciousness was in an eternal darkness. But by the time he could realize that, the darkness had ceased to be.

He woke up to find himself still in the engine room. He shook his hazy head and glanced at his watch. It read ''12:56 PM''--. An hour and a half had already passed.

(Where are the others...?)

Watase looked around, but no one else was there. He suddenly spotted his PDA on the ground. On the screen was a simple four word message: ''We went on ahead''. And lying next to it was an AD--.

I see... so they actually found some AD after that...

Both his headache and the discomfort in his skin were gone. Someone must have injected him with AD while he was passed out.

Okay... time for me to get going.

He didn't know where Kazami and the others were, but he couldn't just sit around doing nothing. Watase put the AD in his pocket, climbed down the ladder, and went looking for the others.

...Guess I'll go check the surveillance room first...

It would probably be easier to find the group by checking the surveillance camera footage rather than blindly wandering around LABO. With his mind made up, Watase headed over to the inner ring.

--and entered B1 of Area 3's inner ring... when a fierce roar suddenly shook the air.

Wha-- an explosion!?

Shivers ran down his spine.

(What happened!? I thought all the fires in LABO had been taken care of!)

His heart started pounding like crazy in the face of this seemingly impossible event. Watase ran through the halls as fast as he could to find out what'd happened. He then spotted clouds of dust coming from up ahead~— in the vicinity of the stairwell.

(!!)

The fireproof door to the stairwell was crushed from the inside out.

Wh-why the hell did this happen!?

Watase lost his cool and lunged into the stairwell.

The stairs leading to B2 had blown up without a trace. And to make matters worse-- something was lying at the edge of the collapsed staircase.

(What's that...?)

But it was simply too dark for him to even make out its shape. He had no choice but to go and find out what it was.

Watase gulped. He then went down the crumbling staircase one step at a time. There were only a few dozen steps, but it felt so terribly far. The closer he got, the more his body oozed with sweat. --Turn back! Something that was most likely Watase's instincts was screaming that at him. But Watase ignored the voice and kept on going. His eyes were getting more and more used to the darkness, allowing him to tell that the object he was looking at was human shaped. It had hands. A head. Arms.

(Who is it...?)

Watase went down on his knees to check the person's identity. It was none other than--

--Tachibana!?

As soon as he realized it was her, he could clearly make out Kazami's face in the darkness.

Hey, Tachibana! Hang in there!

Watase panicked and desperately took her into his arms. But it was strange... She was light-- too light. It was only then that Watase finally noticed it. --The lower half of her body was gone.

A-AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Watase immediately looked for it. But he couldn't find it anywhere. Blood trickled down to the floor of B2 from Kazami's dangling intestines.

O-O—OWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

A feral howl escaped from Watase's throat. An howl full of an unidentified emotion that could not be interpreted as either anger or sorrow. --Just then... Someone appeared behind Watase.

!!

Watase tried to turn around right away-- but it was already too late.

!!!???

When he came to his senses, he was in pitch-black darkness. He fell head first as he continued to hold on to the upper half of Kazami's body. --And a second later, the crown of his head smashed into the ground. His skull broke, causing something to start leaking out of it.

...Ugh, agh...

A bizarre noise came out of his mouth. And so the last thing Watase ever saw as he lay in that darkness-- --was the hollow look on Kazami's face lying next to him...

...we'll do better next time.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

tiistai posted:

Is the curly braces voice actually Yuuri after all or someone else warning us not to mess with her? Dunno if she's lying about her meager telepathy skills or not but maybe she can project psychic blasts at least. No way that was AD wearing off.

For what it's worth, the curly braces voice is male and doesn't sound like anything we've heard before. Dunno if I've mentioned this before.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

tiistai posted:

Are Watase's lines voice acted, by the way? :v:

Yeah. Everybody has a voice, even minor characters like "Researcher 1" in the intro.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Run & Search: 09/16/2030, 11:12

Alright, so this time around, we're doing it right. Watase's Sense of himself goes all the way down.

Watase had already figured out the answer to that question.

--Tachibana! Bring everyone up the ladder!
Captain!? What do you think you're doing!?
I'm gonna go back into the gas one more time and look for AD!

Watase said that, took a deep breath, and rushed out of the room.

Captain! Please wait, Captain!

Kazami's cries fell on deaf ears--

He kept his breath held completely all the while. He believed that there was AD in one of the several offices that lined the outer ring.

But there was an iron box lying in the second room.

Watase ran over to it and opened it up. Inside of it was-- some AD. But only two ampules of it.

(This isn't enough!!)

Watase shoved the AD in his pocket and tossed the medical box aside. He needed four more to keep everyone, especially Kazami, alive. He needed four more to keep everyone, especially Kazami, alive.

(Goddammit, there's nothing here!)

Going through a second round of anaerobic exercise was particularly harsh on Watase. Though it was still easier than when he'd been carrying Jun and Yuuri.

(This would be so much easier if I could just breathe...!)

His lungs were seeking oxygen so desperately that his heart felt like it was going to explode. He put up with it and entered the next room--

Pitch black smoke spread, sending a striking pain through his eyes.

(Great, so not only do I have to hold my breath, but now I'm against fire!?)

If there was any AD in there, he had to get it now or it would be incinerated. But Watase could very well lose his life for real searching in a place like this.

Huh. A yellow branch, asking us about Watase. Well, having a low Sense of himself made him willing to dive into danger, so let's keep going with that?

...uh...

(I can't hold out much longer... can I make it!?)

...poo poo.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Knockdown

Watase turned his back on the room.

(... Goddammit!)

Watase clenched his fists as he stood in that lethal gas. --They needed four more ampules of AD. Four people would be exposed to radiation if he didn't find some quickly.

(I don't... I don't want to let anyone die!)

He held his ground and turned back. He then ran into the room while cursing himself for his moment of weakness.

(Is there anything in it!?)

Watase ran over to the box and opened it up. Inside were five ampules of AD.

(They're here...!)

Watase grabbed the box and took it with him. But he then hit his limit. Watase's consciousness started fading from oxygen deprivation.

And then, as his body thirsted for air-- The dam within him finally broke down.

--*gasp*

By the time he came to his senses, he was breathing. But a second later-- He felt an intense suffocating sensation, like someone had jammed silk floss down his throat.

Gaah... agh... haah...!?

His whole body went rigid in mere moments. His five senses went faint, and his line of sight started blacking out.

(Let me... Let me get this AD to everyone, if nothing else...!)

But his body wouldn't move. The flames closed in on him.

(Someone... help... me... I... I can't br...--)

--Watase's consciousness then shut off, and before long, vanished completely.

...I'll do better next time?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Run & Search: 09/16/2030, 11:12 - Part 2

Alright, let's not gently caress up this time.

Pitch black smoke spread, sending a striking pain through his eyes.

(Great, so not only do I have to hold my breath, but now I'm against fire!?)

If there was any AD in there, he had to get it now or it would be incinerated. But Watase could very well lose his life for real searching in a place like this.

Watase steeled his resolve and stood his ground. He wiped his tears and looked around carefully.

(Is there anything in it!?)

He frantically ran over to the box. Inside of it were-- five ampules of AD.

(Yes! They're here!!)

Watase grabbed the box and took it with him. He then mustered his strength and fled from the room.

His consciousness was fading from oxygen deprivation. His feet were as heavy as lead, and tears filled his eyes, distorting his line of sight.

(Dammit... I've hit... my limit...!)

Watase walked through the darkness, still holding his breath.

(Let me... Let me get this AD to everyone, if nothing else...!)

He leaned against the wall and fumbled his way down the hall. But before long-- his hand came into contact with something soft.

(... A hand?)

Someone's hand was firmly gripping Watase's. Watase wiped his tears and looked in front of him.

(Tachi... bana...)

He called out to her in a voice that wasn't a voice. Kazami also wordlessly replied to him. She appeared to have said ''Captain''. Kazami lent Watase her shoulder-- and then broke off into a mad dash. They reached the room with the ladder and practically dived into it.

Haaaaaaaaaaaah!
Haah, haah... whew... ...Captain, are you all right?
Y-yeah...

Watase took out the AD he'd retrieved as he continued to pant.

More importantly, take this... it's AD. ...Now... we can save... everyone...

Kazami gave him a pointed look.

I'm sorry... guess I made you worry about me again, huh?

Watase was prepared to face another scolding from her. But instead-- Kazami gave him a sweet smile.

Sheesh, you really are always so reckless...!
Y-you're not going to scold me?
I don't endorse heroics, but... I cannot deny that your actions deserve merit this time.
Is... that right...? That's good.
Yes.

Kazami said that and held her hand out to Watase. It was right at that moment that Kazami's watch alarm went off.

It's time to administer the AD. Let's go upstairs.

Hey, Kazami, just a quick reminder that without Watase's heroics earlier with the electrocuted puddle, you'd all have been out of AD for several minutes now.

R-right.

Watase took Kazami's hand and climbed up the ladder. And soon enough--

Jun, Yuuri, and Ena were already lying there, and Ukita was sitting next to them.

All right, then let's administer AD to everyone.
Let's split up the work. Let me have three of them.

Watase and Kazami soon began injecting everyone. First Jun, then Ukita, then Ena, then Yuuri-- And last, they injected themselves.

Next, let's do a vitals check.

Kazami then removed her Vital Checker and wrapped it around everyone's wrists one by one. Watase watched with bated breath as she checked everyone's blood pressure and temperature—- only for her to finish and start speaking with a relieved tone of voice.

...Check completed. Everyone checks out as green. They're all unconscious, but I believe they'll recover soon enough.

Watase then breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Haah... thank God everyone's okay...
Yes. So it should be all right for us to rest a while.
They don't need any antidotes or anything?
Oxygen-deficient air is extremely harmful to humans, but it's not poisonous. They should be all right if they keep inhaling fresh air.
Good, then you stay here and look after the others. I'll take this time to start up this sprinkler system.
But where is it? This place is like a maze...

Kazami examined her surroundings. Just as she'd said, there were various sized pipes and pieces of equipment strewn all over the place. It was difficult to tell where -anything- was here.

Is there a blueprint to this place or anything like that...?

He looked around with that thought in mind, and eventually spotted a machine with a small monitor on it located by the ladder.

What's that?

Watase and Kazami ran up to the machine and found the following written on the screen.

--It appeared they were electronics manuals for the staff who supervised the engine room. Watase decided to tap the ''Electronics Manuals'' bar first, causing the contents of the screen to change.

Can't really tell what each one does from the titles alone.
What's this 'WX particle amplifier operation manual' one?

Kazami pressed that section, changing the screen yet again.

But there wasn't anything important listed in it.

...Doesn't look like it has anything to do with the sprinkler system, does it?
Dammit, is there no sprinkler system manual?

Watase tried to fiddle around with the screen some more, but then--

Ukita called out in a pained voice as he kept sitting on the floor.

Mr. Ukita? You okay?
Y-yes... somehow.

Ukita stood up and shook his head.

...More importantly, I know where the sprinkler system is. They showed it to me during my orientation days, you see. It's further in. I'll guide you there.
I see. That'd be great.
We apologize for inconveniencing you, but we'll kindly take you up on your offer.

Ukita nodded and started walking on unsteady feet. Watase followed him with a similar stumble in his steps.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

AlphaKretin posted:

Wait so this time Yuuri doesn't give a poo poo about being injected? Or is she still passed out this time around?

Logicblade posted:

Yeah Yuuri was passed out. If she wasn't, I'm sure she'd kick up a fuss.

Yeah, the key is that we were quicker this time around. During Falling Down, we first went to fix the sprinklers, then went out for AD, and after coming back, but before injecting the AD, Yuuri woke up. During Run & Search, we first go in for AD, and so Yuuri hasn't woken up yet when we return with the full batch of AD. And also, since we have a full batch of AD, we don't have to work out who gets the remaining one, which also saves time.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Coolant: 09/16/2030, 11:17

♪ BGM: Engine Room Ambience ♫

Ukita pointed further down the path towards an object that had come into view.

...If memory serves me right, that large tank over there is full of water, nitrogen gas, and other fire extinguishing agents.
Nitrogen gas?
It's used to extinguish fires where liquids can't. Think about it: you couldn't use water to put cut fires in a place like where 'Brain Cell' is, could you?
I see... then what's that real thick pipe over there for?

Next to the tank was a thick pipe that crossed near the engine room's ceiling.

That... I believe that is a coolant pipe far the nuclear reactor. It brings in water from a nearby lake.
A lake, huh...

An idea suddenly flashed through Watase's head.

I know! Couldn't we go through that pipe and escape into the lake!?
That'd be impossible.
Huh? Why's that?
I said it was a -coolant- pipe, right? That means it's full of water circulating at high speeds. If you were to break a hole in the pipe to get inside, water would pour out of it with the force of a tidal wave, flooding the entire basement. Everyone would be killed.
I-I see... is there a way to shut off the flow of water?
I don't know. Even if there were, escape would still be impossible. It's 500 meters to the lake from here. Think you could make it that far while holding your breath?
Then what if we used an air tank--
Actually, that's a good idea... or at least it would be, if there were enough air tanks and masks for everyone.
Well, even if we did, the water used by the coolant is heated by the reactor. I believe it's over 50 degrees Celsius. Not a temperature one can hope to withstand.

So it really was impossible to escape through the pipe: in a number of ways. Watase's shoulders slumped in disappointment.

I see... and here I thought it was a good idea.
Unfortunately, no. Even I considered right away if it was possible. But I didn't mention it up until now because it was impossible to begin with. After all, I believe these things were probably explained to you before you lost your memory, no?

Those sarcastic words hit too close to home.

I see... I'm sorry, but I don't remember that at all...

A blue path asking about our opinion of Ukita, which sits at 5.

Are you sure you don't remember anything? Such as why you went down to the basement, or the names of the people you were trying to save?
Nothing... Tachibana said my memories would return in time, but it seems it's taking a while...

Ukita went quiet. He looked at Watase with a somewhat doubtful expression.

What's this all about, Mr. Ukita... don't tell me you're doubting me?
Oh, no-- but you still went to get AD for everyone in spite of your condition?
Yeah... after all, there's not much I can do as I am now. My body's still strong even without my memories. So I feel I have to make up for my lack of knowledge with my physical abilities.
Because radiation is more terrifying than gas? That's why you took such a huge risk just now?
...Okay Mr. Ukita, exactly what is it that you're trying to say? Are you saying it would have been better if I hadn't gotten any AD or something?
Wh-what a preposterous accusation...! I just, well... I just wanted say that it seemed to be quite 'impressive' for someone who doesn't have memories to do that.
Wh-what's gotten into you... I'm not -that- happy about getting a compliment from you, old man.
Who're you calling an old man? I'm only 35. I'm not that much older than you, right?
Now that you mention it, that's true... well, as fellow old men, it's our duty to work together and help these girls out.

He thought it was a bit rude-- but he felt feelings of kinship towards Ukita welling up inside him when he called the latter ''old man''. That term felt like it naturally suited Ukita, probably because his appearance and white hair made him look much older than he actually was. Ukita didn't particularly seem to mind. However, he suddenly came to a stop.

Whoa there... we've made it. This is it.

Watase looked and saw that there were countless valves next to the tank.

It appears that these valves are closed for some reason.
So they really were running an inspection on them...?
We can't say for sure now. Anyway, the sprinkler system should reactivate if we open them up.
All right! Lend me a hand, old man!
Very well.

After that exchange, Watase and Ukita turned the valves one after another. The tank began to groan, and the pipes connected to it all started vibrating at once.

...Good, this should take care of matters.
I hope this takes out the fires in Area N too...
No, unfortunately, it seems that the sprinklers in that area use a separate system.
I see...

But just having the fires in the other areas all taken care of was more than enough.

Anyway, shall we go report our success to the others?
No, I'll stay here for a while and make sure the system is operating normally.
Sorry, thanks.

Watase then parted ways with Ukita and headed back to Kazami.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 1

This blue path is asking us about Jun, who of course still sits at 8.

Yuuri was still lying on the floor, but Jun and Ena were already up and about.

Oh, so you guys are up and running again?
Yes... thank you for helping us...
C-Captain, I'm so ashamed of myself... I wanna bury myself in a hole after fainting right after a dramatic exit like that...

R-really...?
Really. You should be proud of yourself.
Heheh... you sure are nice today, Captain~...

A smile rose to Jun's pale face. Kazami also seemed relieved.

He's right. We were also able to get some AD thanks to you.
Huh... you found AD?
Yeah, we administered it to you while you guys were out of it.
Oh thank God, now we can take it a bit easy, huh?
You're right... and it also appears the sprinkler system is back online.
Yeah, now we don't have to worry so much about getting taken out by a fire.
And if it takes out the source of the fire downstairs, we'll be able to walk around normally soon enough.
Hey, how long will it take for the sprinkler system to finish extinguishing and ventilating everything?
Let me see... About ten minutes or so, I believe.

It was a bit troubling that they were stuck here for a while, but--

(But now that I think about, all of us must be tired...)

If someone with a body like Watase's was tired, then it was probably worse for everyone else.

...Then why don't we take a little break until Yuuri wakes up?
That sounds good. After all, there isn't much else we can do for the moment.
Amen to that.

And so the group decided to take a rest while the sprinkler system did its work.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Also, I've now put a jukebox post into the second post of the thread. All the music we've already heard will be there. Including Memento Mori, a track that apparently played at some point, but I missed when it happened. Either that, or it will come up in the rest of the current batch of footage I have. That's also an option, since I just used the game's jukebox unlocking system to estimate what we've already heard and what not.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Fighters' Rest: 09/16/2030, 11:20

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 1

Haah...

When Watase breathed, a faint ache throbbed in his ribs that had been injured in the flash over earlier.

(They've been hurting for a while... are they cracked...?)

The group had been accumulating not just fatigue, but injuries as well.

...Moribe, Teach, you guys holding up okay?
My fingertips are a bit numb... but I'm fine.
I think I'll be all right after a little rest, myself.
And you, Tachibana?
There are no issues with me either... all that numbness in my skin went away after I took that AD.
...Great, that's the best news yet.

Which meant that it really had been radiation exposure that was responsible for the bad shape she'd been in lately.

Man, AD must be pretty drat effective if it only takes a couple seconds to kick in.
That's -too- quick, if you ask me. Perhaps the negative effects of the radiation and the drug's effectiveness are just products of Our imaginations. A so-called placebo, if you will.

Tips posted:

TIP: Placebo

A false medicine with no active ingredients. Often used in clinical trials to verify the efficacy of a real drug by comparison and contrast. The placebo effect is what happens when somebody takes a placebo under the impression that it is a real drug, but their symptoms improve regardless. In simple terms, the improvement is ''just their imagination''. However, it is true that from ancient times, Japan has had adages like ''health starts with the mind'' and ''sickness is mind over matter''. If the sense of security you get from taking a medicine is what gives you a positive attitude, and that attitude in turn is what lets you overcome the sickness, does it matter if the medicine is real or not?

...But it's better to have AD.

Watase glanced at his Procyon and said that. The reading had gone up again.

Look, it's '3090 mSv' right now... doesn't look like it'll be long until it passes the first danger standard of '4000 mSv'.
...Having AD will only get more and more important if that happens. It seems there were people in the Chernobyl disaster who also tried to minimize the damage from the accident in an environment over 4000 mSv. It's been rumored that the mortality rate for the workers who were in that environment was 100%...

Everyone's faces froze over.

... Wow, I know they didn't have AD back then, but still, 100%?
Though we're getting used to it... 3090 mSv is still a staggering dosage of radiation under normal circumstances, isn't it? I hope Mr. Tenkawa and the others have some AD, but...!
Teach, don't panic. The fact that we've seen empty medical boxes and AD means that there's a high chance they found some too.
H-he's right, Ms. Tsubakiyama... rushing things will only lead to more danger. Let's just rest now while we still can.
Mmm... good point.

Ena gave a weary smile. She'd usually been so sharp-tongued, but now, perhaps as a result of her own fatigue catching up with her, she seemed to have calmed down.

Ms. Tsubakiyama... this has all been really harsh on you, has it not?
To be honest, yeah, in it's own way. I've gotten tired from running around from place to place... And while I'm at it... I haven't eaten anything since this morning, so I'm a bit hungry.

Watase then noticed his own hunger. He didn't know when the last time he'd eaten was, but his stomach felt empty.

... But I feel more thirsty than anything. My throat's parched from all that fire and smoke flying around, not to mention all that running and jumping.
That's true... I'd like to find water if we can.
No, it'd be best not to.
Huh? Why's that?
There's a high chance that the facility's water has already been contaminated by radiation. Drinking something like that would expose your body to radiation from the inside.
...You making GBS threads me?
Exposed to radiation from the inside... yeah, even AD might not protect you from that.

Then that meant they'd have to go without even drinking while they were here. It'd be another seven hours at most... that thought was quite disheartening, to say the least.

... Oh geez, why the hell did all this happen...!?
Everything was totally normal until yesterday, but I guess it's true when they say no one knows what the future holds...

Dark clouds of depression began gradually shrouding all those there. Jun quickly spoke up in a cheery voice as if to blow them away.

C'mon Ms. Tsubakiyama, let's stop being all gloom and doom here. We'll get you and your students outta here safely, just you wait.
Ah... I'm sorry, it looks like I let everything get to me for a second there... I guess when I started thinking about the possibility that we could die in a place like this-—
S-stop, don't jinx us all like that!
You mustn't say that. Showing weakness will only double the danger.
Got that right. I'll be damned if I let a single person die here.
...You three sure are strong.

Ena hung her head down and quietly muttered that.

Blue path, asking us about Jun, Ena and Kazami. Jun still at the top with 8, Kazami trailing with 7, and Ena far away with 3.

You guys really are a fine rescue squad... Compared to you, all I'm good at is being all talk and no action with nothing to back it up...
Huh? Oh, uh... it's fine, don't worry about it.
She's right. Anyone would get worked up if they were thrown into a situation like this. It's only natural.
But... I'll try to make sure I do as you all say from now on.
Yeah, I think it's better that way.
Yes. The worst thing that could happen in this situation is a breakdown in teamwork.
True... I'm sorry, guys.

The atmosphere grew gloomy from the truly apologetic look on Ena's face.

W... well hey, while we're at it, why don't we talk about something cheerful?
Do we even have anything cheerful to talk about...?
Hey, I've got one. You know, you've gained a few points in my book, Captain.
Huh?
I'm talking about your latest stunt. Man, you were so cool back there, huh?
?? What do you mean, 'back there'?
I mean when he carried me and Yuuri as you ran through that gas, of course~
Wait, you were awake for that?
Barely. But still, it's not like you to do something so passionately.

Oh, I remember that too. I remember Ms. Tachibana saying 'please carry those two'-- And then you were all like 'Ieave it to me!' without even hesitating a second.
Well... that's just because there was no time to think about it...
Don't be modest. You were both manly and incredible.

Watase felt a bit taken aback about someone calling him ''incredible'' right to his face.

What's with the sudden flip-flop here...? Weren't you calling me 'unreliable' at first?
Well, after seeing Captain Unreliable pull through when it really counted, he's become a rather wonderful man in my eyes.

Another blue Ena path. For now, we're still not warming up to her.

Oh my, embarrassed? You're quite pure-hearted for your age.
What's this? Are you actually hitting on the Captain, Ms. Tsubakiyama?
Well now, am I?

Ena's giggle made it impossible to tell what she was truly feeling. Watase shook his head in mild exasperation.

Teach, this isn't the time to be teasing people.
Oh, but I'm doing it -because- of that. It's what they call the suspension bridge effect.
The suspension bridge effect?
It's a psychological effect where the opposite sex seems more attractive to you in dangerous situations. That's because your heart instinctively pounds in those times, giving you the illusion you're in a very romantic situation.
I see...

It was a logical explanation truly befitting of a teacher-- but just as Watase thought that--

Ms. Tsubakiyama, that is the epitome of an illusion.

Kazami interjected with a cold voice.

Wh-what?
You wouldn't know this, but the current Captain is about... well, about 30% the man that the normal Captain is.
Tachibana, you're... really harsh...!
Yep, she's super-duper harsh... especially with men. Thanks to that, she ain't popular with the guys at all, even though she's so pretty.
Watch your tongue, Moribe.
That's a real shame. If I were a man, I'd never pass up someone so pretty, gallant, and competent like you.
Ms. Tsubakiyama, please don't join in on this too.
Oh brother... you're being a real stick in the mud today, Sis.

Kazami furrowed her eyebrows at that last part.

Moribe, I believe I told you to refer to me as 'Lieutenant' when we're on duty.
Hmm, what's this 'Sis' business about?
You certainly don't look like sisters, and your last names are different...
Oh, well you see, we've lived real close to each other ever since I was a kid, so it's a habit of mine.
That said, I keep telling her to keep personal affairs out of work, but as you see...
Aw, c'mon, I can do that during a break, right, Sis?
How many times must I tell you... Sheesh...

Kazami gave an exasperated sigh, and the rest of the group laughed. It was the first time since they'd arrived at this facility-- No, it was the first time since Watase woke up that they'd ever had a moment of peace. --But that tranquility didn't last long. For the sound of Ukita's voice soon brought them all back to reality.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

It's all acute radiation though. This isn't "oh you get 4 Sv a year (which is still p huge btw)", it's "you're continuously in an environment where you get exposed to 4 Sv without proper anti-radiation suits or equipment"

I know AD is a thing but the game is being real blase about this.

The thing is that I genuinely don't remember much of the game beyond what I've played apart from the general gist of the story, character motivations and so on, so I don't really know how they treat this going forward. I just kind of accepted it straight up and never questioned it.

Right now, everybody should be largely fine if we accept AD as something that a) completely neutralizes all acute radiation intake below 4000 mSv and b) counteracts accumulated radiation at a similar level. However, poo poo's going up, we're already at 3000 mSv in general, and for that matter, they've already been through some more contaminated zones. Watase and Jun spent a few minutes in a zone that had about 9000 mSv, so they took in about 5000 mSv right there for a few minutes.

I've got to be honest, I think we're just going to have to accept that this poo poo ain't right and that whatever numbers the story gives us as life-threatening are going to be the numbers that are life-threatening, not the ones reality tells us are life-threatening.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Body: 09/16/2030, 11:25

Watase looked over to see Ukita running towards the rest of them. And at that very moment-- Yuuri's eyes opened.

This time, the blue path is asking us about Yuuri, who sits at 5.

Oh, she's awake. Thank goodness.

Yuuri sat up and looked around in confusion. It didn't appear there was anything wrong with her body.

The Captain carried you and ran all the way here. You don't remember?
Huh...?

Yuuri looked back and forth between Watase and Jun with a bewildered look on her face--

U-um... thank you... very much...

--then nervously thanked them.

Oh, it was nothing. Both you and Jun were light, after all. More importantly, think you can you walk?
Um... yes, I think I'll be fine.
All right, now that Ms. Yuuri's awake... let's discuss what to do next.

Kazami took out her PDA and began her explanation.

First, this is our current position. And the room that the ladder leads down to is--

--this room right here in B1 of Area 3's outer ring. Now that the fires in LABO have been put out, our search has become all the safer for it, and we can move around more than we could before... But there's a high probability that any AD located in areas previously engulfed in fire has been destroyed.
True... but that makes things harder for us.

They were down to only one AD ampule right now. But they'd almost searched the entirety of Areas 1-4.

I hope we can expand our search to Area 5... but we don't have the right card.
Right. We still have yet to locate a Level 5 security card. Area 4 is as far as we can go for now.
Why don't we look for a card in a place we haven't searched yet?
In that case--

Watase touched the PDA, causing the screen's display to switch.

Why don't we try the outer ring here first? Now that the gas is gone and we're here anyway, it's worth a shot.
True, you searched it in a hurry, so you didn't find out if there was a card there or not.
The only other place is B2 of Area 4's outer ring: the place where we came across Louise. Right?
Yeah, and the inner ring's already contaminated... so let's search those two blocks.
The odds are slim, but we don't have a better option.
Right...
But... I wouldn't say our chances are -that- bad. There may have been some Area 5 researchers who went through Area 4 to evacuate. It wouldn't be surprising for at least one of them to have dropped their card there during all that chaos this morning.
I see...

Then there was still hope. Starting up the sprinkler system was nothing more than a way of increasing the search field. In the end, it didn't change that the group needed to find ''survivors'' and ''AD''. And also a ''Level 5 card'' to progress onwards and an ''exit''.

Very well then. Everyone, I apologize to have to end your rest here, but...
Let's press on just a little bit more!

All right.

The three survivors all gave a firm nod.

(Everyone's probably getting exhausted...)

But no one showed any signs of that on their faces. It seemed the prior incident had managed to bring the group closer together.

But don't push yourselves, guys. Say something if you're not feeling well.

A yellow path, asking us about Jun, who still sits at maximum.

The group headed towards the ladder while feeling a sense of trust behind those words.

The sprinkler system's stuff has all been drained now, so there's no problem... Okay, let's check the gates in this area first.
Everyone, please be cautious about the possibility of leftover gas for now. If anything smells even the slightest bit strange, please get out of there.

Everyone nodded.

And now, having a high Sense of Jun at that decision point brings us into the second Jun scene, with the first one being Senior & Junior - scenes which I erroneously simply called ''optional''. The basic gist for these scenes is that they're basically friendship scenes that we get for having a high Sense of a character, but if we end up not getting one because we had a low Sense at that time, we're off the rail and won't get any of the scenes after that. And at this point, I'm pretty sure the only character we're still able to get the scenes for is Jun. So next up is our next friendship scene with Jun.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Nine Years Ago

But then Jun spoke up.

Hold on, Captain. Do you know where the room that was on fire is?
Yeah, it's that one further down over there. What about it?
Do you mind helping me search it? I want to play it safe just in case something happens.

Watase could feel a slight hint of nervousness in Jun's voice.

No, maybe the reason she was trying to be so proactive was in order to get rid of the fear she still felt from that incident. Once he realized what she was thinking, Watase nodded.

Sure. But be careful. There might still be some gas here.
Roger!

Watase and Jun fired themselves up and went into the room.

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Jun looked around the scorched room and quietly spoke.

Looks like the fire's been completely put out, but still...
Any card that was in here must have been burned to ashes.

Watase was about to leave the room, but spotted some documents at his feet before he could. They were sopping wet from the sprinkler's extinguishing agents, so the letters were blurred-- but he could still read the word ''Disaster'' on the front.

Hmm... what's this?
Let me see.

Watase and Jun picked it up and drew their heads close so they could look over it together.

--It appeared to be a record regarding a fire that'd happened in this facility in the past.

Jun muttered that in a grim voice.

Yeah... if I'm not mistaken, it's 2030 now, right?
Yeah. That was nine years ago, huh?
Do you remember that fire at all?
Well, I was in elementary school at the time... but yeah, I vaguely remember hearing about it. I think a kid died. But it was the uproar that happened -after- the fire rather than the fire itself that was more memorable.
What do you mean?
That kid was taken to the hospital afterwards and died... but there were all these scandalous stories about it at first. Stuff like 'the kid died of radiation exposure' or 'the fire caused a radiation leak'.
What...!?
Well, it was only a few people who made such a big fuss out of it, and the stories were soon dismissed as rumors... but the part about the kid dying is true.
...That sure isn't easy to think about...
Yeah... 2021 was a real bad year.

Jun looked back at the report.

The fact that they said 'the worst possible outcome was averted' means that a Case N probably didn't happen back then...
The 'disaster' did end up repeating itself anyway...!

Watase and Jun's voices were tinged with bitterness. The security systems must never have been enhanced.

Tch... then let's make sure that there's at least no more victims this time around.
drat straight. We'll save everyone and get the hell out of here.

Watase and Jun nodded at each other and left the room.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cyouni posted:

Man, that document.

I have to say that sometimes this game is a pain to make comments about.

How do you think I feel? I loving love making oblique hints about things to come in my LPs, but in this case, I have to completely zip my mouth for this one.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Body: 09/16/2030, 11:25 - Part 2

And now, back to your regularly scheduled non-Jun-focused program.

(Moribe's absolutely right... Just because the sprinkler system's finally on doesn't mean that the survivors are safe.)

If they'd been in an area that'd been on fire up until a few minutes ago, there was a big chance they'd already burned to death. The fear of being cornered by flames had now been replaced with the fear that the flames had already cornered someone else.

(... I just hope the survivors escaped to Area 5.)

(For us to finally go into a new area only to find bodies... yeah, I'd rather not have that outcome.)

Everyone else was probably thinking the same thing. The group said nothing and continued running down the halls.

The hall had been horribly damaged from the flashover that had scorched it earlier. The Procyon's alarm beeped, its reading at ''5322 mSv''. As long as they had AD in their system, all of them could probably handle that level.

Blue path asking us about Kazami. She still sits at... uh, 5. Huh. Looks like I messed something up at some point, because that should be 7... ah, crap, I think I screwed something up by reloading a save at one point and not redoing that correctly. Good thing that this is the last update for this batch of footage, so I can go back and fix that easily. ...actually, I'll just do that right now. Here's what changes:

- The blue path in Fighters' Rest with Ena, Jun and Kazami changes. Instead of getting no bonuses, we get a +1 to all three, and the dialogue is different, replacing what comes after ''But... I'll try to make sure I do as you all say from now on.'':

quote:

That'd be a real help. Having everyone get along like this will be more comforting than fighting all the time.
Really?
You see, I'm rather soft-hearted... so it really hurts to see women fighting each other.
Ahah, never expected to hear you say something so pathetic.
Wow, now that's something you'd never hear the normal Captain say.
Did he really have this side to him?

Everyone chuckled at Watase's light-hearted joke. The tension finally appeared to be loosening up.

Well, since we're at it, let's talk about something cheerful.

And then it continues as in the update. Then, during Body - the first part - the blue path with Yuuri changes too. It goes to ''It didn't appear there was anything wrong with her body.'' and then changes from there, starting with not giving us a +1:

quote:

He was worried about Yuuri, but Watase dared not say anything to her.

(She might still be scared...)

Instead, it was Jun who spoke up.

You inhaled gas and passed right out. You don't remember?
Huh?

And then it continues as before.

Let's split up and search the larger rooms, hallways, and the elevator hall.
What about the inner ring? Last time we checked, it was a contaminated zone...
...If we don't find anything here, we may have no choice but to venture there. I'll search it if it comes to that.

At this point, the actually correct Senses input you wanted gives us a +1 to Kazami and adds this:

quote:

What are you talking about? Aren't you forgetting you spent a whole hour without a proper shot of AD? Your cumulative exposure must be really high now. Consider your own body for a bit. If it comes to it, then -I'll- search the contaminated zone.
Captain... understood.

Then it continues like how it did in my wrong footage, with this:

At any rate, let's focus on searching the outer ring for now.

Kazami then began rapidly issuing off orders.

Captain, Ms. Tsubakiyama, please cover the hallways and the elevator hall. Everyone else will search the large rooms with me.
You sure the two of us will be enough?
Yes. After all, I believe you've finally gotten used to this.
All right, roger that.

Kazami had a point: two people were probably enough to just take care of the hallways and elevator hall. Watase and Ena immediately got to searching the outer ring. They silently walked through the hallway.

The normally loud-mouthed Ena was surprisingly quiet.

What if they looked around a corner while searching for a card and instead found only a burnt corpse? Watase just stood there, stricken by that thought.

(... Dumbass, stop thinking stupid poo poo like that!)

However, he couldn't rid his mind of that horrid fantasy. He and Ena finished searching the hallway and headed on over to the elevator hall. When they approached the door--

...Oh, what's this smell...?

Ena sniffed the air.

Hmm?
Come on, don't you smell something delici--

Ena's face had frozen over before she could finish.

...!

Just then, Watase's nose took hold of that smell. His mouth started watering and his stomach started rumbling: both conditioned reflexes to that particular scent. But Watase was shuddering. --Because the ''something delicious'' that he and Ena were smelling... was the scent of ''grilled meat''.

(... No, please no.)

(Don't tell me that smell is...!)

Watase opened the door with hands that were shaking like crazy--

♪ BGM: Sinister Ambience ♫

And spotted the source of the smell.

Ah...

Hollow gasps escaped from Watase and Ena's mouths. Their hunger instantly turned to nausea. Legs burnt to charcoal. Melted body fat dripping to the floor. A horribly charred protection suit. A fire axe gripped firmly in the hand. Rescue squad equipment.

Aah, aah, AAAAAAAAAAAAH...!

He didn't recognize their face. But he could tell with a glance... that this was their other squadmate who'd went to the basement-- ''Hiyama''.

--HIYAMA!

A scream burst out from deep within his lungs.

Hiyama! Hey, Hiyama!

Watase ran over to him and called his name, but naturally, the body didn't even twitch. He'd already known from the moment he'd seen him that it was far too late... Watase then heard voices and footsteps rapidly approaching from behind.

Wh-what happened!?
Aah...!

Watase's scream had sent Kazami and Jun running over. He paid them no heed and touched Hiyama's body. He could tell how rigid the latter was even through the protection suit.

It's too late... he's already... dead.

Watase's proclamation was followed by cries of grief.

No... no...
Hiyama, not you too...!

He could hear Jun's tearful voice echo behind him. Watase couldn't feel sad. He just searched Hiyama's body with gloomy clouds shrouding his heart.

(His legs were broken...!?)

He'd probably been trying to escape from the fire to the bitter end. He came across the inferno in Area 4, got caught on fire, and yet crawled all the way over to the elevator hall trying to cling on to whatever life he had left-- and then breathed his last at this spot.

Hiyama...!

Watase lamented at the death of the squadmate he didn't even remember. And next to the body, lying there as if it were Hiyama's last will and testament to his squadmates--

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Order: 09/16/2030, 11:33

The group left the elevator hall and gathered in front of it. Ukita and Yuuri had also been told of Hiyama's death. Ena remained speechless for a while, then barely managed to make out a few words.

... I'm sorry... for your loss.

Ukita gazed at Watase as his body shook in fear, then spoke.

How did this ever happen...!?

... It's okay, Yuuri.

Jun gently wrapped her arms around Yuuri's shoulders, but the look on her face only made Yuuri more depressed.

... Dying in the line of duty is an unavoidable risk in this line of work.
But Tachibana...

Blue branch asking about Kazami, who sits at 7.

Kazami looked at Watase and spoke.

We can save our grief for after we've rescued the survivors and gotten outside. But... for now, we mustn't...

Her voice shook, and her eyes were filled with sorrow.

... Yeah.

When he thought about her feelings, he realized that no words could ever console the pain she had to be going through.

You have to do the same, Moribe...

Jun spoke in a teary voice after Kazami called out to her.

But... today was the first time... I've ever lost a coworker on the job... And now... it's happened... again...
I know. But you have to hold your head high. You discarded your womanhood when you joined Sirius. Remember that.
But... Sis...!

Jun choked back a sob. Kazami didn't scold her for calling her ''Sis''.

(Tachibana... Moribe... they can't take much more of this...)

Even the ever firm and reliable Kazami was failing to hide the tremors in her voice. And yet here Watase was, not even sad about his coworker's death.

(Goddammit... I have to say something...!)

A blue branch. Jun sits at 8, Kazami at 7, and Watase at 5.

Watase gritted his teeth in frustration-- but then Ena whispered into his ear.

What are you doing, Captain Kasasagi...!? You have to get a hold of yourself.

Watase stood in utter bewilderment, but then Ena turned to him with irritation in her eyes.

Speak up. You're a man, aren't you? And a captain, right? Then you're the only one who can lead us all, aren't you? It doesn't matter if you've got amnesia or whatever. Man up.

It was those words that finally brought Watase to an epiphany.

(No, now that I think about it, that was always... my role.)

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

Anyone would be after losing two squadmates whom they'd held so dear in just one day.

(But she can't show it because she needs to put on a brave face for all the survivors here... And because our mission isn't over yet...!)

What would the survivors think if the rescue squad all broke down in sorrow and grief?

They would definitely feel that the situation was hopeless. They'd almost certainly descend into despair.

(Then I have to be strong... Stronger than anyone... I must be stronger than anyone, both as a man, and as the captain of this squad!)

Even if it was a role he knew nothing about... Even if he didn't have confidence in his abilities because of his lack of memories--

(I am... a rescue squad captain. I am ''Watase Kasasagi'', the man who Tachibana and Moribe look up to!)

And the moment he thought that-— a raging fire ignited in Watase's heart. A fire that had been lit by Kazami and Jun's tears, as well as Ena's words.

Huh?
...?

The two of them walked over to Watase with forlorn footsteps. Watase looked Kazami dead in the eye and spoke.

We're changing leaders. I'll lead the group from this point onwards.
C-Captain...?

Kazami and Jun couldn't hide their bewilderment.

Oh come on, I'm just restoring the status quo, that's all. I'll be the leader for now until you've both calmed down. Let me shoulder all the weight you've been carrying so far. Anyway, just rely on me for a while. Especially you, Tachibana-- you've been carrying far too heavy a burden up until now.

Kazami fell quiet in what appeared to be hesitation.

Didn't you hear me? Then let me make it an order-- as Sirius' captain.

Watase clicked his heels and spoke in a sharp voice.

As of this point onwards, Lieutenant Kazami Tachibana and Ensign Jun Moribe will hereby defer to Captain Watase Kasasagi's command!

Those words came very naturally out of Watase's mouth.

!!

Kazami and Jun's bodies trembled.

Now let me hear you say it!

And like that, strength instantly returned to Kazami and Jun's eyes. They both clicked their heels and replied.

Sir! Lieutenant Kazami Tachibana deferring to Captain Watase Kasasagi's command, sir!
E-Ensign Jun Moribe deferring to Captain's command, sir!
Good!

Watase smiled and gave them both a pat on the shoulder.

...And there you have it. Well, that was mainly for formality's sake-- I'm still counting on you both to basically keep things running the way they've been so far. I still have amnesia, like it or not. But my strength and spirit are the same that they've always been. So let's work ourselves to the bone without worrying about the chain of command.

He said that in the friendliest voice he could muster in an attempt to relieve their tension. But Kazami responded meekly.

Y-yes... please.
Good. Then now that we've finally got our hands on a Level 6 card, let's use it to press onwards.

Another blue branch about Jun, who's still at 8.

Jun quietly nodded at that.

You're right... we can't keep staying down in the dumps forever.

Jun turned to the others and spoke in a voice brimming with bravado.

The fires are out and we've got a card, so now we can now go all the way to Area 6. We have nothing to fear!

And besides, isn't your catchphrase--
--'Jun's the name, and rescue's my game'. Sheesh, I can't believe I almost forgot that. Thanks, Captain!

Jun's eyes had regained their natural spark.

Don't sweat it. Keeping his subordinates' spirits up is a captain's job.

Watase said that with a smile, then turned back to Ukita and the others.

Yes, I'll be fine... ready when you are.
No problems here.
...Yes.

Watase nodded when he heard their answers. Kazami then gently placed a hand on his shoulder--

And said that with a wide smile. One that seemed sad, yet mixed with a small hint of joy...

They set his axe against the door as a gravestone of sorts. And with that, the elevator hall had become his temporary tomb...

• Locked thread