Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

NGDBSS posted:

Looking back it's darkly comic that Natsuhiko claimed before that they weren't living in a prison. Kid, you're not just in a prison, but also a panopticon. :cop:

Hey, they're not in a prison. They only get locked up if they try to leave. See? Perfectly fine!

Edit: I'm going to note that you might want sound for something upcoming, if you've heard of the existence of it.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, and I feel like I should know. I guess you can't send me a PM... hm, suppose it'd be easiest to do it by mail. Shoot me a mail at 'themcd *at* vpforums *dot* org' and tell me what you mean, because I probably have not heard of the existence of whatever you're referring to. Either that, or I have, but am oblivious to it. Either way, hit me up.

Sent. If it wasn't clear enough, it's in the first sound bite in that section.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

Hm, seems I didn't get it. As in, "didn't get the e-mail", not "didn't understand it". Are you on Steam, per chance? If so, you could add me at Steam ID "themcd" (I should be easy to spot, given that I have the same avatar there). Maybe that would work.

I'm starting to get an idea what you might be referring to, but getting confirmation would be better.

I do not appear to be able to find you on Steam, and weirdly enough my email test also failed to send. I've sent it again from another email, but if that fails to get through, I should be findable on Steam under the same name as here.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

My sole reaction to all the reactions in this thread will likely forever be :allears:.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Spatula City posted:

So, uh, Natsuhiko has just been under a persistent delusion that Yuuri is alive and living at his house, and everyone close to him has enabled that delusion? that makes SOME sense by the internal logic of this story. I guess after Natsuhiko's poor reaction to his mom telling him Yuuri died, she decided to let him believe what he wanted, and possibly also asked Mashiro to do the same. And then after meeting Salyu, at some point Mashiro must've asked Salyu to play along whenever Natsuhiko mentioned Yuuri.

It hasn't been confirmed yet, but yes, that's what happened.

You may want to wait to finish the route first for more explanations, but basically, go back through Route B and treat it as though Yuuri actually isn't there.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

GeneralYeti posted:

I mean, it's still a really lovely thing to do, but at least Mashiro has a reason for playing along with Natsuhiko's delusions. There's not much else you can do when he goes into a panic attack any time he gets close to the truth.

It's pretty impressive when everytime he gets close to the truth, he goes into a panic attack and erases his memory of anything that caused it.

TheMcD posted:

Memories are ambiguous?
Yeah. According to the protagonist himself... 'People tend to rewrite their own memories unconsciously. And so even this story itself is not necessarily the truth.' Isn't it interesting for a romance novel to begin like that?
Yeah, though it sounds a tad perplexing.
But you know, as you continue the story, you learn that it really is like that. Memories are never reliable. You could end up recalling something completely different depending on your current situation and mental state.

Ghost-Yuuri said it best.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Spatula City posted:

Uh, yeah, I feel more like this is his mother's fuckup. Natsuhiko absolutely should not have been released from the hospital in his condition. Mashiro should never have been put in the position of having to play along with Natsuhiko's delusions. but, of course, it's Japan. it would be SHAMEFUL to put one's son in long-term mental health treatment. jesus, at the very least some antipsychotic drugs? Man, I am just getting so angry at this bit of the game.
I'm pretty sure they addressed that.

TheMcD posted:

The more serious matter at hand was his panic disorder. One wrong move and Natsuhiko would come close to noticing Yuuri's death-- Causing him to display symptoms including intense headaches and heart palpitations. In extreme cases, his memories would go into disarray and he'd begin to ignore reality. Aside from hospital staff, only Mashiro and Dr. Tenkawa knew about his condition.

(... If only he could gradually improve...)

The most effective treatment for this kind of condition was said to be ''family therapy''-- that is, for the family to treat the patient with devoted support for their condition.

Now, you can argue just how effective that therapy is in reality, but they definitely addressed that as an issue.

OddHaberdasher posted:

Now I'm morbidly curious as to what life was like before she developed her empathy through sheer force of will. We see the A of Nat after the fire, we see the C of Natsuhiko now, but what about the B? For some reason, every time I try to think of that I start hearing a sitcom laugh track.

It's a guess, but a pretty good one, that Mashiro only started frequently going to the house once she got empathy down pat. Before that, it would been the same as everyone else.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

No I don't buy it. I can't believe that the best a town full of psychic researchers can do is Family Therapy for 9 goddamn years.

The main problem is that the limits of BC are a known quantity - telepathy and empathy. Neither are relevant to Natsuhiko's situation.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

You...may want to watch the credits if you haven't already. Just like Route A's credits, it has a little something at the end.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

OddHaberdasher posted:

Is there more after the credits, like with After and the moment where Watase found a blockage in the pipes? Because otherwise this was rather disappointing.

Did you check the end of the credits?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Then suffice it to say that just like Route A, there is a significant amount of stuff after the credits.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

CirclMastr posted:

1. What's the deal with Yuuri? (Amazingly, it turned out that BOTH "ghost" and "two Yuuris" were correct, and yet neither explains the Yuuri from Watase's route.)
2. What's the deal with Ukita? (He was - to some people anyway, myself included - a sketchy character. Unless Natsuhiko's route not revealing anything is meant to signify that there's nothing to reveal, but that's a bit of a leap.)
3. What were the kids doing in LABO? (Not why were they there, but what did they DO. Basically the amalgam of little questions like how Salyu survived diving into fire, what the message on the chalkboard was about, what happened to the AD, etc.)
4. Who set the bombs? (I guess partial credit for answering the timing of the bombs being set, sort of, but it wasn't any of Watase's Terror Team.)

And probably others I just have forgotten because I haven't gone back and re-read Watase's route.

1. Partially answered in Before, but answered later.
2. Fully revealed later.
3. The fire was never the problem with that part, the 'radiation' was. The message on the chalkboard refers to another Salyu friendship scene we still haven't seen yet (because people dumped her Senses). Last is answered later.
4. If you want a visual confirmation, that comes later.

I'm not saying why, but if you know the whole picture, Before is very relevant in a lot of aspects aside from being just character-building. I'll show the parallels once we have the relevant information that doing so isn't a spoiler.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

It's a lot easier to find what's being referenced when you have access to the entirety of A and B.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, I was almost going to make an oblique hint along the lines of "you should be able to solve this" regarding two things:

1) The person Watase is talking about (while we don't actually know the person, we've seen them before).
2) The event Watase is talking about.

You can work these two out if you can put the right 2 and 2 together.

I will note it's a lot easier to back up 1 if you start from 2.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Apparently I forgot where that part comes from.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

So, remember that message back in the chapter Message in Route After? ''From the tear rain to Altair and the bridge of bird wings''. So from Salyu to Natsuhiko and Mashiro. And the question asked was ''Was Sirius able to escape from his cage on that night of the full moon?''. This seems to be referring back to the Sirius Escape Plan, when young Natsuhiko and Mashiro hatched a plan to save their dog, Sirius, from being put down. Sirius was able to escape from his cage, but I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to make of that answer, because it seems to be supposed to be some sort of code that I'm still not figuring out.

The idea's just a double-layered security message so that Salyu can be certain it's them. She knows that Team Terrorist is around, so to prevent them from leaving some fake message and ambushing her, she's included a question only Mashiro and Natsuhiko know the answer to.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Looking back, I'm glad we got After before Before. I can't imagine it having the same "what the gently caress is going on here?" vibe when you already know the deal with BC/the terrorists/the kids.

Yeah, you can answer a lot of the stuff in After a lot better. The main things you get from Before -> After are wondering what's up with Yuuri and getting Watase killed in incredibly comical ways.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Junpei posted:

So Current is "Route After with running commentary by Natsuhiko Tenkawa"?

That's the summary. It begins where Route Before ends and ends where After does.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

That's a...very interesting set of speculation that I won't comment on.

Some of those questions can be answered by information within what we've seen so far - it just requires some math.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Danaru posted:

They also called it Area N, Case N, and NBC. LABO doesn't give a poo poo about naming anything creatively.

I'm pretty sure this has become obvious by this point, but quite a few things are deceptively named. The Procyon and its measurement of mSv (millisieverts) is a great example - we've already found out that it's not actually measuring radiation, but something else which can also be abbreviated to mSv. Similarly, since we know there's no nuclear reactor, NBC definitely doesn't stand for Nuclear Biological Chemical.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

OddHaberdasher posted:

Nah, I'm just mildly peeved I didn't wait for something like this. I fully intend to play (if only to hear the voices), I just don't want to risk getting ahead of the thread, I rather like speculation.

Speaking of voices, there's an interesting detail that you can't catch without them. When Natsuhiko calls Yuuri post-karaoke, at this spot:

TheMcD posted:

A blue branch with Yuuri at 5.

He rushed inside, wary of the security department and surveillance cameras. He picked up the receiver and dialed his home phone number. The dial tone rang. However-- Yuuri did not answer.

(...? Is she in her room?)

The only phone at home was in the living room, so if she were in her room, it was understandable that she might not be able to hear the phone ringing. But Natsuhiko waited patiently and eventually the phone connected.

In the background of Yuuri's voice, you can, if you focus, hear the sound of Natsuhiko's answering machine.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Natsuhiko, you dun goofed. Most of the reasons Kazami's suspecting Watase were Natsuhiko-bestowed.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Eh let's not be too hard on the kid. He spent the last 9 years being lied too by his best friend

Let's describe it accurately - he spent the last 9 years lying to himself and forgetting any time anyone told him differently.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder who will act the dumbest and cause the most deaths: Watase or Natsuhiko?

Yes.

Also, it's time for Root Double to begin.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

OddHaberdasher posted:

Just gonna correct you here and say that that can't be Nagisa (which we've concluded to be Elevator Girl) because the shadow's hairstyle (short cut) does not match Nagisa's, but does match Restrained Girl. Still not confirmed what's going on with Elevator Girl, probably is dead (which would make me sad actually).

Now, onto video analysis (also, who's narrating this video?):
Okay, so we still have that odd "Awaken" voice, maybe that's Elevator Girl? or Mashiro?

In this particular case, that's referring to Natsuhiko at the end of Current - calling to Watase to "Awake".

The video narrator, to my memory, matches no voice in Root Double.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

ArashiKurobara posted:

It's Kazami narrating. (At least, I'm fairly certain.)

I checked again, and though it's been a while, I do believe you're right. If it's anyone, it's Kazami.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I still like how Natsuhiko woke up for his grand speech to an unconscious Watase.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

EDIT: Did we ever see any character besides Watase experience any kind of harmful effect from the "radiation"?

In one of the bad ends, you see everyone slowly staring to pass out and drop off, leaving only Watase stumbling around at the end until he too collapses.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Danaru posted:

They mentioned the radiation was those WX Particles, which are what they dump onto BC users to turn them into Type S IGF2R gene whatevers. I want to say Natsuhiko said he turned Type S after the Case N nine years ago but I can't find the specific passage, either way it can't be that bad for him :v:

Also now that I say that, I just remembered they suspected Mashiro would turn Type S under radiation.

I can't find the passage either, but I know what you're referring to.

You're technically conflating two things - the document stated "showed no signs of genetic mutation via WX particles" in relation to Subject Y and "Ma: Level 5 -> consider irradiation test", but it's really not a huge leap to make.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I don't believe it ever comes up, but I'm about 80% sure that there's a way to read that password as something approaching "Tenkawa Natsuhiko".

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

It's a pity someone failed to learn from the last time the "smash the entry panel" plan was used.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

You might be missing a major fact - Natsuhiko hasn't been mentioned to have gone full coma yet.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Been waiting for this moment.

1) Faith in Mashiro is rewarded.
2) Heh, Senses Sympathy System.
3) That should allow you to fill in some of the blanks in the LABO messages.
4) Beyond*BEYOND is a great anime.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

NRVNQSR posted:

They're Vega and Altair from the Tanabata story Salyu talks about.

While we're on the subject of symbolism, note that Yuuri (Orihime-symbolic name) and Natsuhiko (Hikoboshi) can only see each other once each year on July 7, which also happens to be when Tanabata celebrations start.

AlphaKretin posted:

I get the impression that Natsuhiko is also hallucinating her independently, but Yuuri inspired it and cleans up inconsistencies for him.

That's pretty much correct, as per this:

TheMcD posted:

However, the purpose of these reunions wasn't only so she could see his face. He was brought here once a year to renew the ''memory of the Yuuri'' that was inside him. The phantom Yuuri created by his brain was, after all, a phantom and nothing more. If no action were taken, the phantom Yuuri would gradually become disparate from the real Yuuri. This was, in essence, maintenance to adjust for changes and disparities-- Such was the truth of Natsuhiko's ''yearly checkups''.

So Fake-Yuuri runs by herself, but every year Yuuri updates it so it's closer to what Real-Yuuri's actually like.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Junpei posted:

Wait, so all of Route Before's SSS choices were Yuuri influencing Natsuhiko's mind?

Not quite. The things that prompted the SSS choices, yes. Making the choices themselves, no. If Natsuhiko was too closed off after her replay of each day, Yuuri prompted the bad end.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Danaru posted:

I hate the direction this is going

Also blonde test subject looks a lot more like an adult without the lovely memory static. Also she's wearing what Yuuri called test subject clothes. Given the time period and anime genetics she must be Salyu's mom, but she's also going to end up being Subject A isn't she :saddowns: Wataru also mentions that it was a French scientist that figured out the IGF2R thing, and that the BC particle discovery happened in Rokumei City, where blonde test subject is now. It also explains why they kept Salyu as a test subject despite not mutating or having a hereditary type S gene. The story about Salyu's family was clearly memory-kajiggery, but it could be based in fact.

Also that's still one flashback unaccounted for, the one of Nagisa (or whoever but I'm sure it's Nagisa) being a weirdo, but that doesn't fit this time period. There's probably more back to flash after this though I imagine. I'm sorta glad I didn't go with the theory that Watase used to be a scientist, considering he's sorta a dumbass :v: I didn't think the test subject memory would just be that she was looking out a window he was near

There's actually one more that I'm really surprised everyone seems to have forgotten about - in Insanity, Part 2.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Hey, look at my sudden fancy analog watch!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Nah he just awoke to the TRUTH.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

BenRGamer posted:

Go with Watase.

Gotta wonder, though. If Subject N's been running around infecting everyone, why leave Yuuri/Natsuhiko/Mashiro alone?

The actual answer is pretty simple: consider what Yuuri said about the range of Senses Sympathy prior to the melt effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Glazius posted:

Okay, so does Natsuhiko actually remember being menaced by Watase, or is that another fake memory? It seems real. Which means that maybe Subject N has been sneaking out through Ukita for a while now.

Assume that memories without static are real.

• Locked thread