Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The overall theme was 'they're acting like they're hiding something from me' with the me in that case being Ukita. That's pretty much it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

TheMcD posted:

Well, at least we know he can back up his confidence!
The casual ease with which he was able to accidentally kill people with basic moves is why he's the WATASEMANIA after all.

Also nice rugged chin there old Watase.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

As soon as she pulled out the gun.

Now we just know what kind of Secret Agency she may belong to! Also which side that Agency is on.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Best Buddy Jun... WAS BEST BUDDIES WITH THE ENGINE CUTTER ALL ALONG! :frogsiren:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Conflict with Teach or Sudden Tag-Teamup are both likely options. Watase doesn't exactly have time to mess around with the Engine Cutter clock ticking.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Salyu's jump kicks are pretty hard core and Watase's attention was fixed on Teach.

Cyouni posted:

Turns out Salyu's really good at guerrilla assault.

Time for you to wonder: Is she really a part of Security Sector 6, or do they just not know much about Senses Sympathy?

The latter is interesting because it means Natsuhiko's mom is playing something of a long-con on LABO despite doing a lot of their research. Alternatively, Rokumei and LABO are less united than everyone thinks.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

To be fair, it's just now that Nagisa got a portrait.

I'm waiting to see what happens when the cast figures it out.

Because ow. Best Buddy Jun :(

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Normally Natsuhiko would have a problem with this since Kazami always smells of flowers but fortunately right now she smells of burnt flowers :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

CirclMastr posted:

Can't wait to see how Natsuhiko gets easily duped yet again.

The corpse is not N's corpse it's your corpse ah hah hah hah hah!

Kinda hoping something different happens because even with the whole Senses Sympathy bleed-through explanation it'll be the third time it's happened.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I feel it's pertinent that this is Teach saying this and thus you can weave up a whole myriad of reasons why she's saying it (even when trying to tell the truth she can't help lie because habit/SECRET SERVICE TRAINING etc.) aside from taking it as gospel since the ambiguity of memories was already covered.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Good lord Teach, your memories have so many words in them.

Figures.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

A bundle of it is stuff we already know/suspected (Come on, 'Alice' and Salyu look pretty similar that's kind of a dead giveaway in these games where art assets are at something of a premium.)

That still doesn't forgive Teach for being boring about her Good Guy Secret Service lifestyle :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oh no Watase, whoever thought that getting pushed out of the ring by Salyu would have him come face to face with Kazami!?

Out of the frying pan and into the fire he went!

WILL THE WATASEMANIA BE ABLE TO HANDLE THE KRAZAMI!?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oh boy, an expansion on the concept of what Natsuhiko went through. This is going to be a trip.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Now trending on the Rokumei City Boards:

#ukitadidnothingwrong
#mashironLIVES
#dontbelieveLABOslies
#Ihaveateenageaxemurderasmybrainbackup

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

If there was anything Best Buddy Jun did wrong...

It's that she was Best Buddies with the Engine Cutter.

Is that so wrong?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It doesn't help that their laboratories and scientists get blown up/burnt to heck/killed via malice madness when it happens so documentation is understandably a little spotty.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Yeah no, there is no way that that situation wasn't taken advantage of in some way considering how things have gone and how Rokumei City is set up.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

For all that Q might have a point in doing this, they still set off a bunch of bombs and may/may not have been responsible for the last bomb blowing up early. We mostly know what LABO's been doing because we've been shown and told about it, but our only line to Q is through Watase and Ukita who's actions make sense based on what we know of LABO.

For all we know Q could be a rival communicator research branch who, in addition to doing all of the stuff that LABO does, is using Anti-BC sentiment to throw wrenches into other LABO-facilities because those branches are 'winning' the BC arms race.

I totally understand the Miyoko hate in the thread but to me it seems like she's middle management caught between a rock and a hard place and trying to make the best of it :shrug:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 11, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Or to sum everything up a bit more succinctly: Alice has the social grace of a supercomputer stuffed doll considering that's how she's able to determine emotions in other people :v:

(Also explains why the doll was able to hack LABO. It was probably developed there!)

Mister Olympus posted:

I mean, the question here is whether she even could; the game has laid out that everything LABO does is at least implicitly condoned by, if not sponsored by the government. Maybe she could try and seek asylum somewhere else, but even then would that work out? Would she be able to leave the country, or be believed, or be able to convince international authorities of the truth of her word over their peers'?

They'd want her for her BC science-ness so that'd be something of a bargaining chip for her seeking asylum. Also considering how LABO's been kind of bilking the government yolk (see Ena's memories) she could probably testify against the LABO higher ups as well.

I mean, who's worse: the dudes who ordered and made it so they could get away with all of this human experimentation, or the people actually doing that experimentation?

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 13, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Explosions posted:

I mean, the actual answer is take a few iphone videos, publicly whistleblow, and then continue your research for a company that doesn't kidnap world leaders or own child slaves. "They control the police" isn't a good excuse.

This doesn't work as well as you'd think in practice. I mean sure you're an ace BC researcher but you whistleblew for those dudes over at LABO so that means you'd probably do the same here at OLAB because, really, those LABO dudes had the right idea and we're totally stealing those methods.

Whistleblowing is a sort of last resort because it has a track record of tanking your 'hire-ability.' That's not conductive to doing more work to solve problems what need solved (the lifespan limit.)

Edit: Oh yeah, there's also the whole thing that Rokumei city is practically a police state :v:

However, that struggle of 'do I do what I believe is the right thing now and deal with the consequences or do I suck it up to accomplish my goal and then ream these bastards for all the stuff they had me pull' is more interesting than the trope we got. I wasn't surprised at all by any of that Miyoko segment. It's all properly foreshadowed and all of the pieces are there and SSNeoman's prediction is certainly possible. I'm currently 50-50 on Miyoko dying as a martyr vs. WATASEMANIA, SLAYU and TEACH being stone cold badasses and saving everyone while LABO explodes behind them all cool like.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oh no, the backup systems restarted the ghost reactor! It's ghost-o'clock now!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oh no Natsuhiko, you fed everyone's memories into the Ghost Reactor!

Edit: e;fb :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Well yeah, it's obvious she wasn't maliced up from the lack of the consistent and rather noticeable Racoon Eyeshadow that everyone else had.

Meanwhile, a Thing Natsuhiko did wrong: using BC for six hours straight. You're supposed to see a doctor after four!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oh, welp. Kazami has aptitude with BC.

Now we're going to find out what happens when another BC user gets Malice Virus'd.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Right, it's an explanation for her actions, but it's not that good of a justification. Especially since she plays the 'absentee parent working to save everyone including their kid and has domestic troubles because of being such an absentee parent' trope to a T.

That's the real problem with her. She hasn't done anything outside of that mold.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Was Kazami being a Communicator ever hinted at outside of the "Observation Target Ka" mentions? I admit I didn't see it coming, but I also haven't been paying that close attention to the finer details of the script.
Between the Ka mentions and her family's abundance of Communicators (somewhat countered by Salyu's lack of inheritance) there's not a lot of solid evidence to point there. Additionally there is her weird 'talking to nobody in the security room' thing that Watase overheard as further evidence.

However, rather sneakily there's two additional narrative hints that the game does:

First, the comparison between her losing Nagisa and Natsuhiko losing Yuuri.
Second, that she's the last person to be de-Rage Virus'd. Thus due to narrative format she would be the hardest hit by the Malice.

Even then in my head it was a straight 50-50 odds between 'Kazami is a Communicator' and 'Kazami's attachment to pre-Nified Nagisa' would be the big twist/stumbling block that awards her her 'final boss' status.

Edit: Oh right voting. All three options have merit although I view them more in an 'effort' light. IE: Favoring Watase would have Natsuhiko focus his efforts to save Watase, while favoring Kazami would have him focus on her. This means to me that there's three ways to defuse Kazami (who is the locus of the conflict here:) defuse her reasoning, attempt De-malicing ASAP or attempt De-malicing after the situation has played out/stabilized a bit.

Thus my gut says Favor Kazami.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 27, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Poor Dojima and Hiyama. Faceless goons until the end.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Implied faces don't count!

I did forget about the Afro-Pompadour though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Since Natsuhiko doing nothing seems to be the way of things getting done right I wouldn't be surprised if that's the actual answer.

Also a bit late, but I would have Voted C. OH WELLS.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Unfortunately for you Natsuhiko, this time THE WATASEMANIA cannot be stopped!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, that was kind of obvious, though I think only a minority of people get that.

Alternatively, I *could* have worked together with Danaru to write up some sort of bizarre "best ending" which involves Watase, Jun and Salyu beating up everybody at Q, LABO, Rokumei City and Betelgeuse New Treatments at once and just solving the problems with increasingly complex and improbable wrestling moves and liberal engine cutter use, and use that title card for that, and end the LP on that. That would have been a good option, I think.

WATASEMANIA REIGNS SUPREME!

Also I laughed at the Clue Cards too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It's less of an Epilogue and more of a coda/denouement at this point though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

David Corbett posted:

Nothing says "wholesome" like a four-way love triangle between you, your childhood friend and enabler, a woman whom you primarily know as a hallucination, and a fourteen-year-old girl who was kept locked up as a science experiment and test subject for >90% of her life.
You know that saying, 'Birds of a feather flock together.'

I mean, just because they're all ugly geese doesn't make it any less accurate.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

TheMcD posted:

--Prof. Tsubakiyama once said in a lecture... That all bodies of energy mix upon contact. So even if the BC particle energy did decay, that doesn't mean it disappeared completely. So perhaps it was released from LABO's dark facility and spread to all corners of the world. Though if that were the case, then I guess the spirit's consciousness would start fading too. It'll probably never try to speak to us again. After all, for its nine hours of existence, it used quite unreliable communication.

Jeez thanks you guys it's not like Senses Sympathy was logical or easy to use or anything :mad:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 4, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I wouldn't have bought the special edition extra bonus if I didn't want to see more of them!

Stop putting words in my mouth in game BC Ghost me!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Cyouni posted:

From Natsuhiko and Mashiro to Ena. Best dog Sirius supporting everyone.

And then Best Buddy Jun inherited Best Dog Sirius's spirit in becoming Best Buddy.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is muscle memory stored in the brain?

Better question: if BC is informational energy and muscle memory is stored in the muscles, can we use BC to turn someone into The Hulk!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

EponymousMrYar posted:

Jun Moribe: 8. Jun is a bro sis Bro as ordained by Brosidon Lord of the Brocean. Is very consistent about this.

Ena Tsubakiyama: 7. Good Teach is Good and also knows how to handle a gun so is probably a secret agent or something I don't know, Teach is cool.

Louise Yui Sannomiya: 6. Crazy Strong and Action Oriented, but she has a little too much going for her. Alice being a tool to help her with being emotionally shut down? Ok. It also being a weasel? Ok. It being able to hack all of the gibsons with a simple voice command? Uhhhhhh.

Watase Kasasagi: 5. Is a pretty ok dude when he's not a terrorist. Also the second-deadliest person in the cast aside from Salyu. Sticks in my mind as 'Whoops I accidentally your head asplode Watase' for all of the bad ends where that happens :allears:

Natsuhiko Tenkawa: 4. Once he stopped being a wishy-washy layabout he got pretty good and his thoughts and actions make sense (even if the game is like 'NO YOU MUST BE THE PROTAGONIST BECAUSE'.)

Mashiro Toba: 3. While her heart is in the right place her head isn't. I mean sure, go ahead and enable Natsuhiko to keep his brain from breaking itself before he can handle it, but terrorists? By yourself? This ain't your animes gal! And then there's the whole 'all of my character portraits must have my right finger extended in some fashion!' The first thing I thought of when she hurt her finger was 'OH NO WHAT WILL I DO WITHOUT MY FINGER!?'

Yuuri Kotono: 2. Are you a ghost? Are you a girl!? GASP! A GIRL GHOST! With girly ghosty cooties.

Kazami Tachibana: 1. Watase's ex-girlfriend. Uh, I had to remind myself who she was aside from this, so this isn't an indication of dislike but of lack of staying power.

Keiji Ukita: 0. He's in too deep at all levels of this and has repeatedly displayed preference for LABO over people's lives. Hint: people make organizations.

Boy howdy.

Jun Moribe: 8. Best Buddy Jun remains the Best Buddy there ever was. This is in no way influenced by my tendency to moonlight as a Metaphorical Engine Cutter (RIP AND TEAR :black101:) and mostly influenced by her relationships with everyone else, especially:

Kazami Tachibana 7. Now that Kazami actually got some really good backstory I feel she's one of the more holistic characters in the game. Her losing Nagisa sets up a parallel between her and Natsuhiko only in her case she had Best Buddy Jun to ground her in reality while Natsuhiko... Also that event firmly ties her into the core of the conflict when before she felt like an extra to me. Also I'm a sucker for love stories with happy endings.

Watase Kasasagi: 6. WATASEMANIA RUNS WILD! WATASEMANIA PERFORMS AN EXCEPTIONAL FACE TURN! WATASEMANIA SHOWS INTEGRITY EVEN IN THE DARKEST TWILIGHT HOURS! He also still makes me chuckle at all those bad ends in the first part :allears:

Louise Yui Sannomiya: 5. The perils of BC memory alteration given form. Not just with wiping out her personality and her history but with exploring a potential use of BC and it's effects. At least it didn't sap her completely of snark! Also explains where she got her Weasel-bot and why it was so effective on LABO's systems. BUT THEN A BACKUP APPEARED DEUS EX WEASELBOT I'M ONTO YOU!

Ena Tsubakiyama: 4. Teach was actually a spy for the Government. Teach was also actually a decent person doing her best during all of this. Teach's memories were also exceptionally wordy so that loses her a few points :mad:

Keiji Ukita: 3. Congratulations Ukita your backstory also vindicates you of so many things (that you were middle management and not a Senior Fellow) and that you also tried to do something about what was being done at LABO and warn everyone else about finding out too much. Now if only you hadn't resorted to Terrorism...

Mashiro Toba: 2. Heart still in the right place, head still not and it turns out she's nowhere near as good as Best Buddy Jun at this whole 'help someone get over the trauma of losing someone they care about a lot.' I mean you even got the easier case in this Mashiro! Yuuri isn't a blood relative of Natsuhiko and you still cocked it up! Then again Yuuri is a girl and Natsuhiko is a boy... Also didn't help that your efforts were dragged down by Yuuri so the real problem is all of your character stuff being front loaded so you barely had any impact in the eve of the story.

Natsuhiko Tenkawa: 1. Well Natsuhiko, you started being Wishy-Washy again. And then you started falling for the same tricks again. At least you managed to stand up for yourself even if it was for the wrong person!

Yuuri Kotono: 0. You were far better as a mysterious girl ghost with girl ghost cooties. Now you're just a locus of confrontation and misfortune. And you're playing it seriously! The only reason these are bearable is because of the schadenfraud/black humor associated with them in the first place!

Honorable Mention: Subject N. Poor Nagisa, at least you got to become a pretty savvy villian who forced Natsuhiko to not be wishy-washy about something important.

Dishonorable Mention: Miyoko Tenkawa. Hey Natsuhiko's mom, I understand what you're trying to do but I now also see where Natsuhiko got his detestable wishy-washyness from and you have a serious case of 'wanting your cake and eating it as well' in regards to trying to stop LABO while helping them BC research. At least you did mitigate some things (IE with Salyu) but in terms of actually doing so you're not even half an Ukita.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 30, 2017

• Locked thread