Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speak for yourself.

Never played this game, but judging by the way that Watase is acting, I don't think that's Watase at all. Amnesia doesn't change your personality. Something else is going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheMcD posted:

Still, I guess it's better than nothing?

Not really. This is basically the same thing as any other game with bad controls. Your intent doesn't translate well to how you want to affect the world you see, so the player's input basically has random/unclear effects. That's well-documented to just annoy players more than anything else.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:psyduck:

Okay, this partly went where I was expecting it to go, and partly went completely off the rails. I'm hooked.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait, who's Yui?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

B1.

Although, if the issue is that Route Before is slow and takes a while to start, could we maybe just intersperse Route Before updates with the B1 and B2 content? Maybe that'd help pace it better, or maybe that'd just confuse us further...eh.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:newlol: Somehow I don't feel too bad for this iteration of Watase.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheMcD posted:

You're so horrible... I hated you before all this, but I was just starting to like you today... You got me to trust you once... but then you had to go and betray me like that...

Hmmm. I'm gonna guess that the Watase we know is wildly different from the one Jun used to know, and the closer we get to that original person the more Jun is inclined to hate and kill us.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hmmm. Is it possible that "tear rain" and "bridge of bird wings" are literal translations of surnames? I can't think of any that match up,

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can't wait to see if we somehow end up in horrific bad ends during the Slice of Life segments just for choosing bad levels. :shepface:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

HydroSphere posted:

I can't help but be amused at the way people point out Salyu's hair colour as an indication that she's not full-blooded Japanese considering that Watase is the only one in the main cast to actually have black hair, and even then he has blue eyes.

It's usually specifically blonde hair that's taken to mean non-Japanese ancestry in manga and anime and the like, at least in my experience. Red, blue, brown, green, purple, etc. is all considered "black" hair in-universe since they're all either fantastical or already occur in the Japanese, but blonde is special - that one almost always means "not Japanese".

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wonder if they've ever been to Tsukuba.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheMcD posted:

Now, let's see how this affects the events of September 11th.

:911:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

GeneralYeti posted:

Also, just gonna point out that Salyu doesn't sound like 'salut', unless they don't pronounce the Y and her nickname is just 'Salu'.

The typical rendering of the French word "salut" in Japanese is サリュー, "saryuu". Salyu's nickname sounds similar to the first syllables of each of her names in Japanese, Sannomiya Ruiizu Yui. SaRuYu, Salyu, saryuu, salut.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ArashiKurobara posted:

I basically got here, went "... is that even a word?", looked it up in my usual Japanese <--> English dictionary, didn't find it, concluded for the time being "well, it's not totally comprehensive, but I am very skeptical of your 'is a word'-ness, game."

Talked about the note and the conversation the next day with a friend of mine who's played, he did find it in a Japanese dictionary as in like one for native Japanese speakers. Let's just say for now that it's an extremely specific sort of rain and I would not be shocked in the least if Natsuhiko not knowing the word is pretty typical.

Looks like it really is a thing: http://www.weblio.jp/content/%E5%82%AC%E6%B6%99%E9%9B%A8

weblio.jp posted:

Sairuiu
Kanji: 催涙雨
Pronounced as: sa-i-ru-i-u
Also written as: 洒涙雨、灑涙雨

Rain that falls on the 7th of July. It is named after the tears that Orihime and Hikoboshi weep as they are unable to meet outside of when they cross the Milky Way during Tanabata. It's also referred to the "car wash rain", in reference to Hikoboshi washing his ox cart in preparation for seeing Orihime.

EDIT: It is interesting to note that the usual kanji used to write the word translates literally to "lachrymal rain", and the alternative writings are something along the lines of "washing/sprinkling tear rain", where "tear rain" is a word used to refer to a light (as in not heavy) rain, or a rain falling at a time of sadness.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 17, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

HydroSphere posted:

Hmm...did the rescue worker just somehow overlook someone, or could he literally not see one or more of them?

Good catch, there's definitely some ghostery going on.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Actually, yeah, good point. There's nothing implying that he's seeing less than four people. :tinfoil:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can vouch for the deliciousness of Chaliapin steak.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

poo poo, I know what I'm making this week for dinner.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

None of this makes any loving sense.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm sure there's enough information here to figure out exactly what's up with Yuuri, but I can't be arsed to do so. But yeah, it definitely looks like there's FM data ghosts involved. This should be fun.

This world seems to see reality as we do computers, where discrete chunks of matter can communicate with other chunks on some sort of messaging protocol. If so, then it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to assume the whole concept of "code as data" and "data as code" might have an analogue as well. So, the data that remains after someone dies continues to be "executed" by the world these characters live in and as such continues to "live", in a fashion, leading to data ghosts. And therefore ghost Yuuri is a long-running orphaned reality-computer process. :shepface: gently caress it, this is giving me a headache.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 26, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That security guard was totally not what he seemed. That entire place is suspicious.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That was hard to watch. :smith:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SSNeoman posted:

Hahahaha Natsuhiko is the Event.

The what?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I find it a little hard to believe that Ukita is part of Q, but I've been proven wrong before.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's almost certain she's some sort of ghost.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Spatula City posted:

Is there any point at which Yuuri did something a ghost should not be able to do? Like, for example, did she eat at any point?

She drinks milk, I know that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheMcD posted:

TIP: Natsuhiko's watch
Category: Fiction

A Salvia-branded watch that Miyoko once gave to Shun as a present. Upon Shun's death, he had Miyoko give Natsuhiko the watch along with a letter he wrote.

Though it is a chronograph furnished with a stopwatch function, it uses a self-winding mechanism to charge a (battery-powered) quartz oscillator, so both the watch itself and its Salvia brand are nothing eye—catching in particular.

Regardless, the reason Miyoko gave this watch to Shun was that the brand name Salvia was the name of a flower. Salvia is a type of sage. A sage can also mean a wise man. Salvia has a wide variety of meanings in the language of flowers: respect, burning passion, my heart burns, love, wisdom, chastity, familial love, everything is all right.

A gift imbued with a hidden meaning in the language of flowers that wasn't actual flowers, but something practical instead... Ever since he was young, the watch has reminded Natsuhiko of how his mother never backed down as a woman, nor as a scientist. The thought always brings a wry smile to his face.

I know what they were going for, but this is pretty hilarious in light of what salvia is most well known for these days.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:ms:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Haifisch posted:

Of course they're doing the "your mom really cared about you all along, Natsuhiko!" thing. Because that totally makes up for her being an absentee parent. And Natsuhiko immediately buys it, because Japan.

My real question with Yuuri is why the hell does Watase see her in Route:After? It's easy to explain it away with Natsuhiko's brain interpreting everything as if Yuuri is alive, but Watase shouldn't be doing that.

Yeah, that's still a thing. Kinda feels like we've solved a big mystery, but definitely not all of them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's certainly not just Watase that sees Yuuri, as shown above.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Watase sounds like Adachi in my head.

HydroSphere posted:

Wow...judging from that first shot of Watase with the gun, and the way was acting in the factory, I'm guessing that Watase has the rage virus, but he really seems a lot more vicious than everyone else that has succumbed so far - Ukita, Jun and Tachibana - all of them seemed to simply want to kill their target; Watase is actively playing with, and trying to prolong Natsuhiko's suffering.

I dunno if it's the rage virus, then. This feels like something very different.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So Natsuhiko hijacked Watase somehow and has been freeloading inside his head. This should be interesting.

• Locked thread