Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Commie NedFlanders posted:

yeah but what it's a reeeeaaaally cool song?

Probably 90+% of the time it's something like Lux Aeterna set to some 2 minute long space gif/movie while the speaker just awkwardly stands there looking at the audience. But no matter what the song it makes me feel super uncomfortable and any song is going to sound lovely coming out of your old macbook speakers cranked to full volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
what if you do a dance routine, like a really good one like michael jackson lean shoes good

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

what if you use your iPhone but you put it in a cup to amplify the sound?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Frog Act posted:

anyway i'm absolutely petrified with anxiety, does anyone have some useful tips to keep me from breaking down completely? i've lectured college classes before, led 50 person study sessions, etc etc but this is entirely different and i am fuckin' scared as hell. please help me goons.

You can choose from 1 or 2

1a- Do it
1b- Do it and look like a complete jackass
2- Don't do it and look like a complete jackass

Option 1 has the possibility of not loving up. If you choose option 2, you've hosed up. Understand that the only way to not look like poo poo is to do the drat thing and do it well. Push the possibility of looking like a fuckup out of your mind. You cannot do worse by trying than you would by not trying, so try.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i dont have stage fright at all and public speaking doesnt bother me ... Unlike every other type of social interaction. It's weird

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

signalnoise posted:

You can choose from 1 or 2

1a- Do it
1b- Do it and look like a complete jackass
2- Don't do it and look like a complete jackass

Option 1 has the possibility of not loving up. If you choose option 2, you've hosed up. Understand that the only way to not look like poo poo is to do the drat thing and do it well. Push the possibility of looking like a fuckup out of your mind. You cannot do worse by trying than you would by not trying, so try.

harsh but fair

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

thathonkey posted:

i dont have stage fright at all and public speaking doesnt bother me ... Unlike every other type of social interaction. It's weird

its the same with me

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Remember the age old advice of imagining your audience naked? Do that with the most attractive person in the room and give them your undivided attention. Ogle them up and down. Only that one person. You owe it to yourself make your audience uncomfortable before they make you feel uncomfortable. As an added measure, get to the venue early and urinate on the seating before the audience arrives to establish your dominance.

And remember start off with a humorous joke or anecdote.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 4, 2016

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

confess your most embarrassing secret at the start so you can only go uphill from there

RoboJiggolo
Aug 16, 2004

More Than Meets the Eye
I used to be pee-shy, but then I started to imagine the sound of me urinating making the other people in the bathroom uncomfortable, or even somewhat frightened.
That cleared it right up, nowadays I could probably piss like a fire-hose in front of a thousand people, no sweat.

Hopefully you can apply this somehow to your public speaking.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
How is it different to the stuff you've done before? Just drink up and go do it

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I'm a very good public speaker and I am on the monthly rotation to preach on Sunday morning at our church op so maybe I can give you some pointers.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Adrenaline will alter your perception of time. To account for that, speak really, really slowly. Consider every word. Enunciate. Imagine a slow jazz baseline. This will ensure that everyone can hear and understand you. Although it might seem too slow to you, to them it will sound normal, considered and confident.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wear khakis and pee your pants

E: assuming your not standing behind a podium

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Use your natural charisma and inate ability to read a room and command an audience to your advantage op. Speak with authority and confidence weave the speech together with subtle humor and knowing glances to the crowd to make them feel comfortable and intimate. Use body language and voice column to maintain the crowds interest. Make eye contact with people in the crowd, leave them feeling they are sitting with you in a personal setting and having a personal conversation. Above all be handsome and tall. Just do that op it's what I do.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
friends, romans, fuckmen, lend me your ears

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

8 track betamax posted:

I'm a very good public speaker and I am on the monthly rotation to preach on Sunday morning at our church op so maybe I can give you some pointers.

You're a religious man? What religion? Sikh??????

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Baptist.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

Adrenaline will alter your perception of time. To account for that, speak really, really slowly. Consider every word. Enunciate. Imagine a slow jazz baseline. This will ensure that everyone can hear and understand you. Although it might seem too slow to you, to them it will sound normal, considered and confident.

This is good advice. Jazz bass has helped awkward but brilliant orators before.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
Here's a good video that should help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_njFASIY69s

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I work at a university and give lectures for like 200 people, once gave a speech in a second language for like 500 and killed it

I mean it's not that big of a deal if you just don't give a poo poo what other people think of you

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Next week I'm scheduled to speak in front of around 80 people in my third language and I'm totally calm about it so maybe try not being a baby OP.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I kind of love public speaking as long as I'm talking about something worthwhile.

My advice is to have a glass of wine a short while before you go up there.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Public speaking is a breeze as long as you don't run out of booze and desoxyn and realize you aren't actually a genius.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
so i just flew here and boy are my arms tired! what else, what else... how about those clowns in washington, eh? almost like the circus came to town but then the clowns decided to stay! am i right? what else... ah... here's a little bit that michael richards used to do that i think was a little before its time, here goes...

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Also, gently caress those motherfuckers. You're speaking to them., they aren't speaking to you. You start off better than them.

Came here to say this. Hold your audience in utter contempt. Beat your chest. Who the man? You the man! These people are beneath you, stop being such a beta and alpha the gently caress up.

Also just simply know exactly what you're talking about. Only a few people can blabber and wing it about something they don't know (Trump 2016). Most of the audience is listening, only a small % are thinking of a clever question to trip you up and steal your glory. Watch out for them, your glory is yours but you must earn it.

If you're using slides, don't for the love of god simply copy/paste your area of expertise into powerpoint - use big images, big limited text, these are prompts for you and a distraction from your ugliness, otherwise you need to say the information you know not have people read it while you stammer away.

Breathe, drink water, don't get hammered the night before, and KNOW YOUR SUBJECT.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't say Cucky pizzone when you get up there. Don't FREAK OUT about it or anything. Otherwise "Cucky pizzone" "Cucky pizzone" will keep repeating in your head and slIp out of your lips into the microphone and the whole crowd will hear you utter "Cucky pizzone" through the speakers. So just DONT THINK about Cucky pizzone. And don't worry about saying "Cucky pizzone" when you step up to the mic or have the words "Cucky pizzone Cucky pizzone" racing through your head

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

update: i pretty much crushed it, didn't flub anything and got a big laugh, kept eye contact with the audience, etc. definitely did better than the other grad student reading on stage with me. anyway, now i'm going to get extremely high on morphine and weed for about 8 hours.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

OK, I've got some real advice.

Earlier poster already said it, but avoid awkward moving and shifting. You've seen people do it, don't be that guy. Practice, show up early, and for the love of god, don't just read off your powerpoint slides. If your slides contain more than 15 words each you are absolutely doing it wrong. What's the loving point of presenting if your slides say 90% of what you are saying? It's insulting to your audience and boring as gently caress. Powerpoint is easy on the presenter and hard on the audience. Amazon, Microsoft, and Apple are all quoted as hating powerpoint presentations:

- Steve Jobs quoted as saying "People who know what they’re talking about don’t need PowerPoint"
- Jeff Bezos sent email to senior execs saying "No powerpoint presentations from now on at [Senior Team Meeting]."
- Steve Ballmer quoted in NYT "So most meetings nowadays, you send me the materials and I read them in advance. And I can come in and say: "I've got the following four questions. Please don't present the deck." That lets us go, whether they've organized it that way or not, to the recommendation."

Begin your presentations with content. A story, multimedia, something that engages your audience and hooks their attention into your topic. Don't just start droning on about bullshit because nobody is interested in what you have to say yet. People tend to be more interested in presentations that are content driven than ones that are process driven.

If your presentation deals with data, make sure to demonstrate mastery of detail at some point during your presentation, otherwise you probably don't sound credible. Effective presentations about data discuss causality and mechanism of action.

If your presentation is to an exec team or is a seminar, you're best off providing a document to your audience (as in the Ballmer quote above). Do not send the document out early, 99% of people won't read it before coming to your meeting/presentation. Start the meeting with a study hall where the attendees can examine your document - depending on its complexity, up to 15 minutes is fine. Look out at the room - your audience is looking down (not at you, isn't that nice, you big goon) and consuming material that you've put together. Doing this puts you in control of the content they're consuming in a pre-prepared format, it lets people consume the material faster and more efficiently (often answering their own dumb questions by rereading a section). Your document should include and be heavily biased towards the abstract: problem, who cares, solution. The abstract is usually the only thing that survives a meeting or seminar.

That's about all I have.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Frog Act posted:

update: i pretty much crushed it, didn't flub anything and got a big laugh, kept eye contact with the audience, etc. definitely did better than the other grad student reading on stage with me. anyway, now i'm going to get extremely high on morphine and weed for about 8 hours.

congratulations on making your audience laugh, above all else that's a good sign (unless they were laughing at you, which it doesn't sound like they were?)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ruggan posted:

congratulations on making your audience laugh, above all else that's a good sign (unless they were laughing at you, which it doesn't sound like they were?)

i dont think so i was talking about the reasons the university gave for not letting gay students have a club in the 70s and they were so absurd, and i guess i let a little contempt creep into my voice when i was listing them, so ppl laughed. i hope

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i end every public speech i give this way:

*sniffles, wipes nose with fingers, wipes fingers on shirts* THANK YOU BERRY MUCH, BE LIKE KUNG FU PANDA! HE IS BLACK, WHITE AND CHINESe! THE FUTURE OF MULTICULTURALISM!

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

canpakes posted:

Don't say Cucky pizzone when you get up there. Don't FREAK OUT about it or anything. Otherwise "Cucky pizzone" "Cucky pizzone" will keep repeating in your head and slIp out of your lips into the microphone and the whole crowd will hear you utter "Cucky pizzone" through the speakers. So just DONT THINK about Cucky pizzone. And don't worry about saying "Cucky pizzone" when you step up to the mic or have the words "Cucky pizzone Cucky pizzone" racing through your head

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm super good op i doit fora living, and here's my one weird trick.

Imagine your audience naked and with giant throbbing erections.

Even the ladies. Especially the ladies.

It will help. I'd even call it vital.

E:I'm guessing the reason it went well is because you did that op

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 5, 2016

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I never thought I would come to love it, but I really do love public speaking now. It's fun to have a bunch of people be forced to listen to you for a given amount of time. I started giving presentations for new hires at the company I work at and it's been great. Just remember that their time is valuable as yours, and that they want to enjoy their time the same way that you do. Engage them, have a little fun and use any presentation materials to help your points hit home. Public speaking owns, do it a lot.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
part of my job is to give trainings, its not hard if you know the material your teaching

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I hate my voice and whenever I hear it on a mic I think "do I really sound like that?" Whenever I overcome that I improve a little bit. I don't think I'll ever be good at it though. But I'm not the worst of all time at least.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Kuato posted:

I hate my voice and whenever I hear it on a mic I think "do I really sound like that?" Whenever I overcome that I improve a little bit. I don't think I'll ever be good at it though. But I'm not the worst of all time at least.

take up smoking your voice will sound legit manly

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
public speaking is really easy for me which is perverse because i suffer from shockingly bad social anxiety in general like i have been putting off getting a haircut because i simply dont want to make small talk with my barber. just a small example from my awesome life. it's the one thing the internet can't abstract the human interaction out of and i can't do it myself. getting up on stage in front of a ton of strangers or non-strangers is a breeze by comparison. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

I've done several presentations including in front of serious high level executives. In fact next week I have a security proposal for my company I will be presenting to the entire leadership team. Here are a few tips I do that seem to help.

Keep it simple and to the point. Make sure your message is clear to understand. An easy way to test this is show your presentation to someone out of your field, ask what they liked what they don't etc and fine tune.

Practice, either with live people or a mirror.

They are just people, at one point they have also felt like you do.

Take your time, when you start to panic you start to talk fast, breath and take your time to deliver with conviction.

And always remember people's time, if your given 30 min deliver what you need to. Say it in 25 to leave room for questions and for a few pauses if you need to compose yourself.

And most of all, relax! Before your presentation go to a mirror and do a super hero pose, it does a bunch of cool stuff chemically that makes you feel confident!

Goodluck!

Madness fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 8, 2016

• Locked thread