Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

one punch man's pretty alright, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

here are three of my favorites that i also think are quite good, and i was able to pull trailers for:

The Eccentric Family - a really excellent supernatural family drama adapted from a novel by the author of Tatami Galaxy (another anime people are recommending itt)
Tsuritama - a coming-of-age story about an alien who forces a socially awkward boy to learn how to fish and make friends
Mononoke - an episodic horror/mystery series that follows a nameless medicine seller as he encounters mononoke (basically ghosts) and must uncover their reason for existence before he can slay them.

and now the rest:

Planetes - sci-fi about people collecting space debris
Cromartie High School - gag comedy that spoofs delinquent manga tropes. Freddy Mercury and a robot voiced by Norio Wakamoto are recurring characters.
Paranoia Agent - i dunno how to sell this other than say it's Satoshi Kon's only tv series and it's excellent
Windy Tales - very chill slice of life about a group of kids who learn to control wind, though the powers are less important than the people they meet and things they get up to.
Honey and Clover - romance dramedy set at an art college
Kamichu! - a middle school girl wakes up one day and is suddenly a god! very sweet and goofy show about the issues she has to face with her newfound power, such as helping her city stave off a poverty god or act as a go-between for the japanese government and a martian.
Mushishi - episodic fantasy show about a traveling "mushi master," as he encounters people with strange afflictions caused by mushi.
Akagi - gambling show about a mahjong prodigy
Ergo Proxy - sci-fi dystopia, can't think of how to sum this one up tbh
Ouran High School Host Club - rom-com about an androgynous girl who falls into debt and has to pay it off by pretending to be a guy in her school's host club
Kemonozume - a romeo and juliet-esque story where the heir to a dojo of monster hunters elopes with a woman who is one of the monsters he used to hunt
Denno Coil - a show about a group of kids who investigate strange occurences in their town with AR goggles
Baccano - one of those converging stories that interweaves the tales of a group of immortals, gangsters, serial killers, and two hilarious idiots.
Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor - a total loser is saddled with immense debt, but given a chance to pay it off by betting life and limb in dangerous gambles.
Moyashimon - lovely semi-educational comedy show about a guy who can see microbes attending an agricultural college.
Michiko to Hatchin - road-trip show following a young girl and an escaped convict as they travel across south america to find the girl's father.
Katanagatari - adventure series about a naive martial artist and a strategist collecting mystical swords to curry favor with the shogunate. amazing ost, unique character designs, and great animation!
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt - raunchy comedy about two angels trying to earn their way back into heaven by defeating monsters
Nichijou - a gag comedy where episodes are made up of vignettes. mainly follows a group of three girls who attend school together, and a robot who lives at home with her child genius creator. amazing animation quality
Tiger and Bunny - superhero series where the heroes are sponsored and their heroics are televised and ranked
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou - gag comedy about the stupid poo poo high school boys do
Hyouka - series about a high school literary club that gets roped into solving mysteries, due to one member's insatiable curiosity and another's sharp intellect. really interesting twist on mystery, as they're all fairly low stakes but still very emotionally engrossing. amazing visuals and character animation
The Woman Called Fujiko Mine - a darker take on Lupin, this standalone series follows Fujiko Mine as she crosses paths with the Lupin crew and tries to uncover the mystery behind strange repressed memories that are suddenly surfacing
Humanity Has Declined - a surreal post-apocalyptic series where most humans are dead and the world is dominated by strange fairies. follows an unnamed human as she tries to clean up after the messes/harm the fairies leave in their wake while pursuing entertainment.
Shinsekai Yori - after humans suddenly gain telekinesis, society collapses and thousands of years of unrest follow. the series follows a group of children growing up in the aftermath, in a society where some things don't seem quite right and the outside world is filled with strange creatures.
Gatchaman Crowds - a stylish superhero series that explores the good and bad of social media, with a second season that dips its toes into politics and populism
Gin no Saji - a burnt-out booksmart student enrolls in an agricultural high school in hopes of escaping academic pressure and figuring out what he wants to do with his life.
Haikyuu - sports series about volleyball. from what i've seen of sports shows, this is an especially amazing package of ost, direction, and dynamic animation. follows two immensely talented boys as they join a high school volleyball team that has fallen from its former heights. fleshes out the cast very well, is great at building tension and emotional investment, and revealed to me how much strategy can go into volleyball.
Ping Pong the Animation - sports series about ping pong, following several players and the relationships between them and the game of ping pong itself. i dunno, i'm not great at selling this one either...but it's worth a shot!
Barakamon - when a young calligrapher publicly embarrasses himself in a competition, his father sends him to a remote island as punishment and an opportunity for reflection and artistic improvement. by becoming part of the island's community, he finds inspiration and learns to develop his art.
Amagi Brilliant Park - a smart but narcissistic high school student is enlisted to help save an amusement park, where all the staff are magical creatures that will vanish from existence if the park closes. despite the premise, it's mostly comedy
Shirobako - a feel-good/educational workplace drama about an anime production company as they make two anime series.
Gundam Build Fighters - ostensibly a sports show, it's about kids fighting in competitions with small gundam models that come to life.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 4, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

also, gurren lagann

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Kyousougiga - A girl who grew up living with her father chases a rabbit into a strange mirror world of Kyoto, where she meets the rest of her family and ultimately brings them back together

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 4, 2016

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Spice and Wolf - A medieval merchant encounters a harvest goddess and they have the cutest romance, ever.

Full Metal Panic - A mercenary poses as a high school student to protect a girl, and also fights the Soviets in Afghanistan.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Black Lagoon - A boat does something terrible to a helicopter and an office worker becomes a smuggler.

Satori_Ryu
Mar 8, 2006
Comcastic Ronin
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been interested in Gundam Unicorn (I do love Build Fighters), but I has been a long time since I have seen an UC Gundam series. Is it ok just to jump in there?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Satori_Ryu posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been interested in Gundam Unicorn (I do love Build Fighters), but I has been a long time since I have seen an UC Gundam series. Is it ok just to jump in there?

As long as you remember the broad strokes like who Char was, what newtypes are, etc, you should be fine. Heck, I've known people who enjoyed it as their first exposure to UC stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Satori_Ryu posted:

yeah it's fine, you don't need to get into the minutiae of zz gundam or w/e to enjoy unicorn.

Also if you liked gundam back in the day, you shoudl watch the most recent series, ironblooded orphans. It's pretty solid and has a second season starting right now

Satori_Ryu
Mar 8, 2006
Comcastic Ronin
I liked Iron Blood Orphans, but I wish there had been a few more Gundam Fights. The darker tone was a nice change of pace. Macross Frontier was one of the few series I went out and found. One of my all time favorites is Macross Plus.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Yeah... really nothing good at all between 2004-2014. They really hosed anime up during that time. Thankfully, it's saved now, so you picked a good time to get back into it!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Kino's Journey

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Kino's Journey

that was 2003

also gatchaman crowds

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Endorph posted:

that was 2003

im old and forgetful

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gintama, OP.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I CANT BELIEVE NOBODY POSTED K-ON. WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THIS SUBFORUM.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Namtab posted:

I CANT BELIEVE NOBODY POSTED K-ON. WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THIS SUBFORUM.

OP asked for good anime.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Namtab posted:

No point casting pearls before swine. OP just wants to watch late-era gundam apparently.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
You missed out on three divisive Evangelion movies, but luckily also most of the time spent waiting for the fourth one to come out.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kuuchuu Buranko aka Trapeze aka Welcome to Irabu's Office

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
just torrent everything you cant get on cr or netflix

Satori_Ryu
Mar 8, 2006
Comcastic Ronin

Pewdiepie posted:

No point casting pearls before swine. OP just wants to watch late-era gundam apparently.

I am interested in a lot more then late era Gundam. I watched Kaiji, and it is kind of messed up. I figured the he would win out in the end. Nope. Haven't watched the second series yet. Gatchaman Crowds sounds really cool since I like the original series.

Is Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex worth watching? I did not like the original movie, but I am a big Yoko Kanno fan. I used to think that her soundtracks would make anything better, but then I saw Brain Power.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GitS: SAC is really good, though its angle is more like a police procedural set in the GitS world instead of being a deep philosophical/theological musing like Oshii's GitS work.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Satori_Ryu posted:

Is Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex worth watching?

It's good, and in a different way from the original movie. Definitely worth a look if the concept sounds interesting to you.

e: :rip:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Pewdiepie posted:

If you had any love for the man you would shove those pearls right down his gullet.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

:yeah:

It's a comedy about the Bakumatsu but instead of Americans in gunboats it was aliens. It also is surprisingly touching at times. But mostly hilarious.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Satori_Ryu posted:

Gatchaman Crowds sounds really cool since I like the original series.

You might not like it if you're wanting it to be anything like the original series, it's a very different take on Gatchaman. I thought it was great though!

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I am obligated to say ToraDora.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Not gonna lie, ToraDora was a surprise for me too, and strangely enough all in the execution, as the synopsis sounds like the most generic trash ever. So yeah, go ahead.

I also blew through S1 of MSG: Iron Blooded Orphans, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Satori_Ryu posted:

I am interested in a lot more then late era Gundam. I watched Kaiji, and it is kind of messed up. I figured the he would win out in the end. Nope. Haven't watched the second series yet. Gatchaman Crowds sounds really cool since I like the original series.

Is Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex worth watching? I did not like the original movie, but I am a big Yoko Kanno fan. I used to think that her soundtracks would make anything better, but then I saw Brain Power.

Definitely yes, especially the second season

Also watch madoka

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I can't believe no one posted Koi Kaze.

Satori_Ryu
Mar 8, 2006
Comcastic Ronin
Thanks for the ToraDora suggestion. It is really fun. I just re-watched ReLife for the third time and was looking for something like that. Yeah the synopsis is true, but does make it seem like generic trash.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Watch k-on next

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Watch jojos friend

Coffee Mugshot fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 8, 2016

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Oops

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Jojo is a water cooler anime, impress your work colleagues with your knowledge.

Also, it's already on that ADTRW anime of the year list, but Kids on the Slope is a real good anime about music and comradery.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

I almost corrected you but this is a good joke, well done.

Watch Standalone Complex. Terror in Resonance is worth it for the Kanno soundtrack, though otherwise is not exceptional.

I'm envious OP, there's a lot of good stuff in that decade. Legend of the Galactic Heroes will be notably missing from others lists, which I'm reasonably sure wasn't available subtitled and complete until 2010 or so? Not going to be streaming anywhere though!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I had to check twice to make sure I wasn't deluded by sleep, but I can't believe you butts haven't mentioned Erased.

Only 12 eps, but it wraps up decently, animation is good, and character drama is good.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
Soft ball easy answer nobody mentioned: Eureka Seven- Slow starting, kid climbs into mecha anime that really redeems itself when it shifts gears. Great sound tracks, world building is interesting, good cast of characters.

Berserk had a resurgence but they cheaped out on it and threw cgi at it. Watch Claymore- all the violence and bleakness of Berserk with well choreographed fight scenes, still in a medieval setting.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood- It diverges from the series that originally aired and stays truer to the source material. If your unfamiliar it's bout a couple of brothers traveling the countryside being cops in a world where magic is treated like a science.

Usagi Drop- Adorable dad anime, don't touch the comic.

GloriousDemon fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Compendium posted:

I had to check twice to make sure I wasn't deluded by sleep, but I can't believe you butts haven't mentioned Erased.

Only 12 eps, but it wraps up decently, animation is good, and character drama is good.

2004-2014

• Locked thread