Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

(02) So the question is: how was Madoka able to setup its premise so well, leading into more and more reveals of the truth, while this show setup its premise so poorly?

I think it comes down to two things. First, the characterization of the "bad guy", i.e the Kyubey character. Something feels contrived and forced in this show, especially when Fav says "I miscalculated". Like, really? What is that even supposed to mean? How is that even possible? Why would doubting the capability as a logistics organizer make sense for Fav? And if we're being setup to doubt Fav, this was such a dumb way to do it.

And second, not a single question or stray thought goes into analysis. No one asks "why?"? No one bothers to ask why they have to pay the consequence for Fav's fuckup? No one bothers to ask or even mentally consider what could happen if you got last? Like there's not even a mention of what the character's assumptions are, e.g. "oh well, I guess we just get fired and go back to normal life". It's like the show just hamfisted the premise to get to the part where the magical girls kill each other, and assumes the audience is too stupid to think about it so they just made this shallow premise without explanation and then they're all set.

Like I get the whole thing about trying to hold things back from an audience to generate drama, but something is just wrong at the core of how this show is designed and executed.

tl;dr: The low chance that they had to turn this show into something great, let alone above par, has all but evaporated. The writing and editing need to be super tight to pull this off, and right now it's unraveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

I think their assumptions being we just get fired and go back to normal life was pretty strongly implied.

I think Fav is probably full of poo poo about miscalculating, although why he's full of poo poo is an interesting question. It could be simple sadism. That would explain why he killed Nemurin instead of just taking away her powers. On the other hand, the focus on collecting Magical Candies by helping people suggests there's more to it than that.

No, it's not, because an additional interaction between a magical girl and Fav is shown, where one character questions the setup of this competition, then some characters seem to know what happens to girls that lose, but not really, which leads us to question why the characters all acted the way they did, which leads to my original post because how they all reacted seemed really contrived just so that the story could go where it wanted to. Basically, I think this series has a weak storyboarder and editor.

And there's no reason to even stretch into baseless character trait assignment at this point; there's a ground level reason why it had to happen like this: because there is a defined story requirement to keep the existence of magical girls hidden from the general public, shown not only by how they act but also the magical photo augmenter that keeps their identities private. Maybe the dumb/naive/teenage girls don't know this, but if you try to leave a secret society chances are it's not gonna be easy.

....which again, makes it all the more boggling that they would just waste humanmagical girl resources like this.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Desuwa posted:

I'm actually completely on the other side here. I don't think the show is holding anything back from the audience, only the characters. The very first scene in the first episode established that this show was going to get dark and there was going to be a body count. It's only the characters that are in the dark. We don't know why it's happening but there's no twist, not for the audience anyway. I give this show points for not being yet another show that hides the "dark shift" until episode three.

As for the girls not being suspicious of Fav, well, they're young girls getting to live (some of) their dreams and help people with cool powers. At a glance it's so idealistic that they aren't given any reason to doubt Fav's intentions or benevolence, yet.

That's just foreshadowing, or a red herring. Either way, it's irrelevant to what I'm talking about, which is more like how to structure storytelling, such as the introduction of the premise.

And again, not only are the girls given reasons to be suspicious, they are shown to do so to various degrees, from questioning the bogusness of how they got into that situation, to ninjagirl even having a one-on-one with Fav calling them out on setting up this mandatory competition.

So I'll give the show this: it looks like there's enough material and premise to make an cool show here. The problem is it would require really tight execution in both the storyboarding and editing, and so far it's been sloppy and arbitrary at worst.

edit: /\/\/\ just refreshed and saw the new posts, ok, looks like there's consensus on using the term "arbitrary", good work goons :thumbsup:

• Locked thread