Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

AnacondaHL posted:

(02) So the question is: how was Madoka able to setup its premise so well, leading into more and more reveals of the truth, while this show setup its premise so poorly?

Like I get the whole thing about trying to hold things back from an audience to generate drama, but something is just wrong at the core of how this show is designed and executed.

I'm actually completely on the other side here. I don't think the show is holding anything back from the audience, only the characters. The very first scene in the first episode established that this show was going to get dark and there was going to be a body count. It's only the characters that are in the dark. We don't know why it's happening but there's no twist, not for the audience anyway. I give this show points for not being yet another show that hides the "dark shift" until episode three.

As for the girls not being suspicious of Fav, well, they're young girls getting to live (some of) their dreams and help people with cool powers. At a glance it's so idealistic that they aren't given any reason to doubt Fav's intentions or benevolence, yet.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I was just in the middle of wondering if they could share candies when the announcement came through.

This show moves really fast, I expected more episodes before all the girls even knew the truth. Then I was expecting either a team to share candies amongst themselves and have two or three girls knocked out at once or someone to sacrifice themselves for another before the mugging/killing started. Ruler is vicious.

My money is on Snow White getting robbed and La Pucelle transferring all of her candies at the last second.

Don't die Top Speed. :pray:

This thread made me finally get around to Yuuki Yuuna and it was great.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I did not see that coming at all but it was more than adequately foreshadowed. Actually looking back it was practically beating the audience over the head with it with Nemurin's comments during Swim Swim's dream.

Ruler said a lot of things to Swim Swim but nothing that actually goes against what happened in this episode, it was always "listen to me" or "be like me."

Phobophilia posted:

you realize that letterboxing the screen is a classic signifier of "flashback"?

I didn't even notice the letterboxing myself but it was very obviously a flashback. Even if you didn't pick up on it immediately it became obvious once Mary called Ruler a newbie and then the subsequent scenes played.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

That episode was just brutal. Don't keep triggering death flags, Top Speed. I want you to live.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think its interesting in how quickly La Pucelle and Snow White both kind of lost their cool and their dignity once they realize that death was a very real possibility. Though La Pucelle had one last moment of trying to go out guns blazing, Snow White I thought would try to crawl behind those wooden boards.

They were both normal, well adjusted middle schoolers, which seems to actually be pretty rare amongst magical girls. They're both trying to live their ideals, which are based on childrens' magical girl shows with no deaths or moral grey areas. Koyuki didn't even doubt the accident story when magical girls can stop cars with their bare hands.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

This episode was too hardgore for me.

Stop the loving death flags already Top Speed. Rubbing it in at the end of the episode makes me assume she dies next week. :smithicide:

Sister Nana continues to be awful though.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Welp, I broke down and started reading the novels. I will say that the anime is heavily expanding on the first novel, and the changes are for the better. Pacing is hugely improved.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Magicaloid was in middle school and I got the sense that her transformation made her really logical and detached. She is even surprised that she feels nothing, and it's probably not because she's supposed to be a sociopath.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 22, 2016

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

nielsm posted:

Noone has talked about the transformation also affecting personality so far?

Everyone in the thread is saying she's some kind of sociopath but she turns into a robot and talks about how logical it is to join up with Calamity Mary. I don't think I'm reading too far into it, though it's not confirmed either.

e: just in general talking about how robots are soulless and emotionless, not that all transformations necessarily affect personality. She seemed to understand that she should be feeling something, even disgust, and she was surprised she didn't.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 22, 2016

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I knew this was coming and it was still rough.

The Ripple glass scene is, I think, the first scene where the anime made changes for the worse. It probably is censors but given everything else in the story I'm surprised they didn't just play games with camera angles to hide the worst of it. A single shuriken only burying itself a few centimetres into her forehead is actually one of the tamest deaths.

The other instance that might be worse is back with Magicaloid 44, who in the novels wasn't planning on killing Snow White and was just going to leave after "killing" Alice. It changes her character a bit, but then in the novels she didn't really have a character at all.

Raenir Salazar posted:

On one hand, I don't think Swim-swim exactly knew; but on the other hand, I think we can safely say she wouldn't care. I really do wanna see what's her deal, I wanna know the thought process running through her head that made her go from betraying Ruler whom she apparently admired to ruthlessly killing her enemies.

Swim Swim is actually pretty simple; she's like eight years old and doesn't really seem like the sharpest eight year old either. She likes princesses and took all of Ruler's words to heart, and took them very literally. She's completely ruthless because she's a young child without much empathy. She kills Winterprison because Winterprison is the strongest and Ruler said you have to kill the strongest enemies.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Maybe don't do technically-not-spoilers for volumes that aren't even going to be covered by the anime. Or at least use spoiler tags. Hell I'd argue that knowing there is a traitor counts as a spoiler for the second arc.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

The first volume reads at a breakneck pace and is very light on details. So far it's only the one scene that I'd say is worse in the anime and everything else has been substantially improved.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I felt like this episode fumbled a little. I guess with so few characters left they're out of nice ways to expand on the LN.

As for the beginning with Clamberry they changed it a bit from the novels. In the novels one of the girls just happened to have the ability to summon a demon but, evidently, not control it, and it killed everyone during what was supposed to be an almost entirely peaceful selection process. Clamberry going from zero to blood knight in five seconds was also pretty clumsy.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

... Land of Magic... incompetent.

This is the only thing you can count on when dealing with them. I still haven't finished the third arc but it's horrible mismanagement and incompetence all around. I guess that's probably required when they're giving out completely unpredictable powers to batches of random people, many of which have no obvious uses outside of killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Finally got time to read arc 3 on an awful five hour plane ride where I was boxed in by four infants. As much of an improvement over arc 2 as arc 2 was over 1. Comments:

Wedin's death was completely believable, given that she was a novice and Pythie did use her sense of responsibility as leverage, but of all the students she at least had an easy way to survive by just jumping out of the train. At least with Grace I knew from the opening pages that she was too good for this world.

Pythie really rubs me the wrong way, especially given that she doesn't even seem that good at masterminding things. She has a much higher opinion of herself than she deserves and I really hope the writer doesn't keep her around too long.

Pukin and Mao Pam really going all out and fully exploiting their powers was a real high point. Up to that point all the girls don't really know what to do in a fight or have really straightforward powers, like with Cherna and Sonia. Kuru-Kuru Hime was close herself to figuring out just how far her powers could be taken, what a shame.

• Locked thread