Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, having finally gotten around to watching the first two episodes of this, my feelings are mixed. There are certainly some interesting concepts here, but I'm still on the fence as to how well they will be executed. Still, enough to give it a chance for now.

My sneaking suspicion is that Souta is a dead boy(girl?) walking. He seems to be the only one that actually knows another magical girl in real life, and if he gets washed out then Koyuki would probably go visit him, being the reveal for the whole "Oh right, they're flat out dead, not just not a magical girl any more" to the remaining magical girls. I suppose this could be subverted, but this series so far hasn't really done any shocking, unexpected plot twists.

Desuwa posted:

I'm actually completely on the other side here. I don't think the show is holding anything back from the audience, only the characters. The very first scene in the first episode established that this show was going to get dark and there was going to be a body count. It's only the characters that are in the dark. We don't know why it's happening but there's no twist, not for the audience anyway. I give this show points for not being yet another show that hides the "dark shift" until episode three.

As for the girls not being suspicious of Fav, well, they're young girls getting to live (some of) their dreams and help people with cool powers. At a glance it's so idealistic that they aren't given any reason to doubt Fav's intentions or benevolence, yet.

The problem with this is that they're NOT all innocent young girls. Ignoring the obvious exception, Nemurin is apparently a 24 year old NEET - it was even mentioned she had a job interview the next day, and while Ripple definitely seems to be a junior/high-schooler, she also comes across a moderately bitter/cynical, the type that very well might question seemingly benevolent mysterious benefactors. And that's just ones we've seen a bit about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To be fair she's still got the superhuman abilities that all magical girls get, and there are honestly more ways to leverage her dream powers to help with candy collection than what some of the others have. Unless you really think Ripple's power of being able to accurately throw shurikens came up all that much in just the peaceful day-to-day collection that was going on before everything went to hell. Or Alice's power of, uh, not dying. That seems really useful in a deathmatch, sure, but given how magical girls seem mostly immune to most mundane stuff in the first place, not terribly useful in general real world problem solving.

For example, use the power to find with troubled dreams that you can identify are due to stuff in the real world, then go take a go at fixing said problems. It's not going to terribly help with saving people in burning houses or whatever, but there are certainly ways to use it if you think outside the box. Use it for information-gathering, rather than directly solving the problems. Nemurin just didn't want to bother doing stuff like that, preferring to just be a NEET who stayed in her room.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, the Peaky Angels were utterly pathetic. "We've got the powers to turn into, respectively, any living form, and any non-living form. We'll use this to, wait for it, sneak up on someone by disguising ourselves as someone they know, and stabbing them with a knife!"

Instead of, you know, using any number of the thousands of absolutely horrifyingly dangerous creatures that have lived on this Earth at one point or another and just tearing them apart without bothering with subtlety. Or turning into something more dangerous than a loving knife. I dunno, chopping them in half with a lightsaber sounds good. Hell, for the comedy factor, have the inanimate object one jump from above on top of someone, turning into a gargantuan ACME anvil while doing so. I mean, she turned into a goddamn invisibility cloak, there can't be that many limits on the drat power.

Such incredibly powerful abilities, such a completely lovely use of them.

• Locked thread