Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Magical Girl Raising Project(portmanteau when??)'s first episode blew me away with how good it was. In the opinion of someone who watches marathons' worth of standard magical girl shows like precure, it hit a bunch of my points absurdly well, and I didn't even expect it because I was just going into this thinking about a late-night LN adapation with battle-royale elements. But the protagonist is your perfect "heart big enough to love everything on the planet" mahou shoujo protag—an adorable girl who's unsure of herself and you can hear it in her voice (Touyama Nao!!!) but is a hopeless romantic who spends her first day on the job saving a cat from a tree and helping the elderly.

The art style is way prettier in animation than I thought it looked on the promo art, so I was being amazed by that as well. Super colorful, good designs. The classic "she's strangely attracted to the dark, mysterious girl and can't tell why" part came up and that's my weak point. and that's not even the best part, which is actually the reveal with her childhood friend. nice.

If they wanted to give the first episode a quintessential magical-girl feeling so that upturning it would be that much more effective in the coming episodes or whatever, well, it worked on me. Awesome ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Yuuki Yuuna kicked rear end to me because the stakes make the girls' daily lives seem much more precious. I really appreciate SoL segments like episode 3 where they're just messing around a bunch. Well, compared to the sort of work where you see girls struggle against their odds, it feels lovely in this week's episode where a girl gets offed with the same tact as finding a pink slip in your shoe locker, and with no awareness of her circumstances. Conflict is interesting, but this episode had none. You're introduced into a charming girl and what makes her happy, and then she dies. Ehh.

• Locked thread